6.5

1. Jun 9, 2012
    Fantastic visuals. Great acting. Doesnt answer the main questions it ask but whos to say it had to? One of the best Sci-fi movies in a LONG time. Best IMAX movie ive ever seen!
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all I like to say that this movie is not like Alien or even Aliens. The cinematography is outstanding and the 3D brings it out even more. I would recommend 2D and just imagine how it looks in 3D.

Yes it is a prequel and here is a question to everyone. Don't you believe there will always be unanswered questions to the origins of human life? This movie is meant about to reflect your own ideals about how we came on Earth. This is probably a spoiler but during the movie Noomi's character was tested about her own beliefs with God even to the point that they accused her of abandoning her own belief. Her cross was taken during the movie due to her Medical attention and at the end of the movie she got her cross back from the android David. She was offer to go back to Earth but she still wanted to seek out the questions on why and how these Aliens came to Earth and created humans.

There are bits of other stuff in this movie that are related to the Alien movies. The thing that came out of Noomi's character would be the face hugger, the Alien that came out of the chest would be the chest burster and the space jockey/engineer are part of the relationship to the other Alien films.

Wonderful movie but not for everyone.
  3. Jan 6, 2013
    I've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the timeI've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the time to consult more with real scientists that are experts from varied branches of technology that are involved in the story to help decide how the story reasonably progresses and to add to the realism of it all.

People today are much more knowledgeable with technology and sciences compared to when the first Alien film was released. With this, a majority of audiences (especially sci-fi buffs) are more questioning and analytical. That I think is the reason why creating a science fiction film is more difficult compared to a fantasy film like Lord of The Rings. In fantasy movies, you can do mostly anything and audiences won't question you much. Just blame everything on magic! For sci-fi films, it has to be somewhat still rooted to reality and must answer questions as logically and realistically possible.

I like the TV series "Ancient Aliens" and "Through The Wormhole". So I can say I also like "Prometheus" for what it is. I just hope the director and the writer took more effort to flesh out everything and that means even the little things such as how scientists think and act in a possibly real world given the scenarios they faced in the film. All in all, I am satisfied with Prometheus and wishing for a much better sequel.
  4. Jun 16, 2012
    Today I went to see Prometheus, and let me say... I don't regret my decision one bit! From the very beginning until the credits run at the end, you'll be a witness to an exciting story that keeps you interested, fascinated and amazed by Ridley Scott's creation. Let's review...
    POSTIVES: - Amazing and interesting story. - Great acting (Charlize Theron, Logan Marshall-Green, etc...) - Incredible music. - Amazing visuals.
    NEGATIVES: - The movie ends... (kind off)
    CLOSING COMMENT: Are you a fan of sci-fi or/and the previous Alien movies? Wait no more, and enlist now to take a trip into the universe with Prometheus... you won't regret it.
  5. Jun 10, 2012
    Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is,Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is, like the best sci-fi, left up to interpretation. This film does not pander and has no easy answers, and that can sometimes be frustrating. But I applaud it nonetheless. Even if you wind up disappointed, there will definitely be something here that will stick out as memorable, even if it is just the visuals. Expand
  6. Jan 10, 2013
    One of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace is absolutely phenomenal as the tough girl who has to survive some ridiculous events.
  7. Jun 18, 2012
    Prometheus maybe doesn't have a factor to make it A-list territory, like unbeatable script or one hundred percent emotion, but Prometheus is sci-fi epic. With blood, uncomfortable scene, striking visual and excellent 3D, it's totally extravaganza. Faith, creation and religion, which is forget these days by common filmakers.
  8. Jun 13, 2012
    Ridley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults youRidley Scott once again crafts a fantastic science fiction film that stands among his best sci-fi movies like Blade Runner and Alien. Not only does it have an intriguing story, but it also has some memorable characters in it. Is this movie perfect? No, it is not (some lines of dialogue I felt weren't needed, and the movie took a while to get rolling) but if you look past these faults you will have yourself one helluva gorgeous thrill-ride. Expand
  9. Jun 10, 2012
    My friend and I saw this movie with low expectations after reading many negative reviews and we were blown away by how awesome this movie was. I would recommend watching the original alien up until where they explore inside the alien ship before seeing Prometheus. It helped us enjoy the movie that much more. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace had the best characters in the movie IMO. HereMy friend and I saw this movie with low expectations after reading many negative reviews and we were blown away by how awesome this movie was. I would recommend watching the original alien up until where they explore inside the alien ship before seeing Prometheus. It helped us enjoy the movie that much more. Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace had the best characters in the movie IMO. Here is my checklist of why I loved this movie.. Very good cinematography, the best CGI and visual affects to date, alien references, tense scenes that keep you on the edge of your seat, and finally this is just an awesome sci-fi movie. Prometheus had its flaws however as other reviewers have pointed out. If you go into this movie with high expectations you will be let down. The movie raised more questions than answered. There is little character development and over all the script could have been better. I would definitely recommend seeing this movie. Just go to be entertained. Expand
  10. Jun 15, 2012
    Unanswered questions and a watcher's ignorance do not spell plot holes. I start with this statement for the simple fact that after a week of pondering the symbolism and theological ramifications that Prometheus set down on the screen, I decided to see what others had gleamed from the Alien prequel. What i found was a deeply intelligent discussion peppered by "I don't understand and so itUnanswered questions and a watcher's ignorance do not spell plot holes. I start with this statement for the simple fact that after a week of pondering the symbolism and theological ramifications that Prometheus set down on the screen, I decided to see what others had gleamed from the Alien prequel. What i found was a deeply intelligent discussion peppered by "I don't understand and so it was stupid" comments. Not every movie is meant for every audience member and I do understand that, but a true fan of the series might want to do a little research before stewing out bile. Don't understand the beginning scene, the motivations of the characters, or how intense terror can cause someone to act irrationally? Try finding an answer! The fact that every writer must dumb down their vision to spoon feed the masses is outrageous. the "From Clay to Fire" thesis was a great read and gave but one explanation to the events that unfold in Prometheus. When dealing with a dead race there are always questions...to this day many arguments exist on a wide range of subjects about long dead cultures here on earth. To think one movie should unravel the mysteries of the universe and spread it paper-thin for all to behold is asking a bit much even for Hollywood. Prometheus gave us a brief glimpse into man's eternal struggle to craft god into our own image and I, for one, was grateful for the experience. Expand
  11. Jul 10, 2012
    Best I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefsBest I've gone to this year, and really one of the best movies of all time. In 3D, I witnessed the best visuals I've ever seen in a movie, far exceeding Avatar. The mix of action, suspense, intrigue, amazing technology, sexy female butts, and being related to and expanding upon the Alien series is the full package. Furthermore, it provokes viewers to constantly think about their beliefs of our origin, our knowledge of the universe, and the ultimate questions of what reality even is. I cannot wait to see the sequels, which will have even more action and full scale warfare (like Alien vs Aliens). Loved it!! Expand
  12. Nov 23, 2012
    I liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job givingI liked this movie a lot. I was initially a bit shy mainly because of the lower rating on this site, but bought it on amazon instant video on sale, and watched it. It was very well made, acting was spot on, beautiful visuals and effects, and the plot was excellently written. I got a bit nervous part way through that the movie was going to leave me hanging, but it did a great job giving answers. They left it open for a sequel, which I hear is coming in 2014. It would likely be a bit more challenging to follow if you weren't familiar with the Alien movie and it's sibling movies, but being that I am, and find that universe interesting, this movie was an intriguing addition. The makers seem to have gone out of their way to separate themselves from Alien but there was definitely a strong connection. It wasn't a direct prequel, but certainly in the same universe. Nice job Ridley Scott. I look forward to the sequel. Expand
  13. Aug 10, 2012
    Gaping plot holes aside, "Prometheus" is grand in every sense of the word, as it's visually stunning, expertly acted, and raises interesting questions about the importance (or lack thereof) of life. Fassbender and Theron deliver impressive performances from a script ripe with metaphors and interesting juxtapositions.
  14. Oct 4, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movie since Alien...In a word: spectacular! Actors, screenplay, director, photography...a perfect mix. I recommend it to all lovers of science fiction
  15. Jan 18, 2013
    I like this movie a lot. Its the new version of Alien. I don't see Alien so i don't know how he is or Alien is better, I like the story and I like the cast, especially Michael Fassbender.
  16. D6M
    Jun 10, 2012
    While this movie isn't perfect, it's still a far better experience than Alien 3 and Resurrection, which recycled the ideas of its predecessors and spit them back out; whereas Prometheus attempts to take the franchise in a new direction while still staying true to the core elements of previous installments. Aside from one motive left unexplained and an unaddressed continuity issue in theWhile this movie isn't perfect, it's still a far better experience than Alien 3 and Resurrection, which recycled the ideas of its predecessors and spit them back out; whereas Prometheus attempts to take the franchise in a new direction while still staying true to the core elements of previous installments. Aside from one motive left unexplained and an unaddressed continuity issue in the time line between Prometheus and Alien(it would seriously take 2-3 sentences of narrative to bridge everything together...but sequel maybe?), the movie exceeded my expectations; between its amazing cinematography/visuals and convincing acting, this crazy story somehow becomes believable.
    This is far from a bad movie and the 3D version by far had the best 3D I've experienced yet(no obvious scenes with way too many people at too many varying distances or stuff flying towards my face). To wrap things up, this is a great movie that is well worth seeing on the big screen in 3D, even though it has some faults, they aren't that detrimental to the film itself, but rather it's continuity between it and it's current sequel Alien.
  17. Jun 8, 2012
    The scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people reviewThe scares of Alien with the effects of Avatar! This film had me jumping out of my seat, squirming, and heart-pounding for the entire 2 hours and 5 minutes. The effects and sound are the new standard for today's cinema, surpassing those of 2009's Avatar. There were many tie-ins to the original Alien movie from 1979 which was very good to reflect on after the movie. Some people review movies as what the movie set out to be. If an action movie is a good action movie, they give it a good review because it's a good action movie, not because it's a good movie. Prometheus, however, is a stunning Sci-Fi flick, an excellent horror film, and one of the best thrillers I think I've ever seen. I saw it at the midnight IMAX 3D premiere, and. was. STUNNED. Even though I saw it at what is considered a "LieMax" theater (google it), the sound was absolutely incredible! If you are a fan of Horror, Sci-Fi, Thrillers, or Action Movies, I promise you'll love this. You'll also love it as an Alien fan, due to the countless tie-ins. This movie makes you question some of the events in it (in a good way) and think about life in general. AMAZING performances by Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Idris Elba, and Charlize Theron. 10/10 due to the fact that it was a great movie and gave a very satisfying release to my 1+ year anticipation for the film. Expand
  18. Jun 11, 2012
    Actually, I am surprised at the lack of intelligent investigation/critical review by many of the formal critics. Only one, Ebert, out of Chicago caught and interpreted Scott's "Grand Design". Prometheus is about mankind's divine/physical origins. From the myth-like divinity of Prometheus, god of science and mankind's friend, to elements of scientific theory and fact (Eratosthenes, Galileo,Actually, I am surprised at the lack of intelligent investigation/critical review by many of the formal critics. Only one, Ebert, out of Chicago caught and interpreted Scott's "Grand Design". Prometheus is about mankind's divine/physical origins. From the myth-like divinity of Prometheus, god of science and mankind's friend, to elements of scientific theory and fact (Eratosthenes, Galileo, Newton, Darwin, Einstein, Sagan, Hawking) Scott brings to his tale of divine origin a host of ideals and threats. Is life the survival of the fittest or the survival of the brightest, and/or is life about faith and discovery of self and the universe? Does science buy immortality or at the least the keys to immortality or does faith unlock the secrets of immortality? Without question, the scientists and philosophers' of the enlightenment pepper the script and Scott's movie reflects his remorse that contemporary philosophers are so rare - yet Jarad Diamond, "Gun, Germs and Steel" emerges reflecting that the true enemy of mankind is not one another but bacteria and viruses or even what is hidden in the subatomic mists. Blending the constructs of religion versus faith by introducing a Voltaire element of "Candide" into the script - Scott continues to utilize the great moments of sci-fi by replicating the primordial ooze of life similar to Clark's short story. The protagonist, Shaw, played by Naomi Rapace, is without question the Eve Gene - a truth seeker, scientist and adventurer who will challenge the boundaries of science and faith with her desire to find the land of the divine, man's creators. The glue that binds the above elements together is Hawking "Grand Design" - that divinity resides in the universe and life itself. The question; will it be a singular entity, tight and congruent like a Kantian model or is life in constant need of repair? Scott and his writing team - Jon Spaihts and Damon Lindelof - incorporates the best of the best in grand celluliod tradition and example, touching on the intellectual dominance of the sci-fi genre of Bradbury, Asimov, Clark, Herbert with a blend of sci-fi fantasy that includes the eternal battle between good and evil, negative and positive polarity, matter and antimatter. At the same time, Scott tickles his audience with images of great moments in Sci-Fi movies - the slimy snake like creatures that are parasites (Star Gates Gao'ld), Van Danikens (Chariots of the Gods) reflecting a race of superior aliens in archeological stone, David = Hal the computer of Kubrick's 2001, and often tongue in cheek moments of Scott's own trilogy Aliens (Ash resembles David or is David really the "Lawrence of Arabia of other worlds"?) or the moral debate when Shaw removes the parasite from her body conflicts with Ripley who birthed and destroyed the hominid-alien link of DNA cross breeding.

Of course, any intelligent critic will see the next movie - the sequel - and the leap from current theoretical debate to Hawking's "Grand Design". And in doing so - will Ripley look the lens "darkly" or give his audience a tiny picture into the Divine? This movie is not for the banal or the horror advocate - it is a movie where Scott, in all integrity, uses art to mirror society. So will his intellectual critics condemn or praise Scott's vision? Will it become a provocative movie (similar to Kubrick's 2001) that will mirror current theory of our origin and the struggle to survive? What is life, where did it begin, is it Divine or Darwinism, or a combination of both or neither - and is life governed by good or evil, negative and positive, or is brith itself the singular event of life?

It is a big movie, a big challenge. I think for the most part Scott has succeeded. The challnege will be his sequel - the dynamics of the main plotting. I, for one, will be to see the results of Scott's vision. "f he is successful, he will join the ranks of enlighten men and women.
  19. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Here's the thing about Prometheus: When this film was nearing release, Guillermo Del Toro said in interviews and online that it basically killed his hopes of adapting H.P. Lovecraft's horror novella "At The Mountains of Madness", because Prometheus and his film would be too similar. He was absolutely right. This film IS an adaptation of Mountains of Madness, even if Ridley Scott and the writers didn't strictly intend it to be. I will admit, some key points are different, but the more you look at Prometheus, the more it screams Mountains. For me, this is something of a conundrum, because as much as I loved this movie, it may mean never seeing Guillermo Del Toro's vision of Lovecraft come to fruition.

So what is there to say about Prometheus? There's certainly the obvious. For one, this movie is gorgeous. Everything from the sweeping, desolate landscapes down to the tiniest, nearly microscopic details, are near-perfectly conceived. For the cinematography alone, this movie is worth seeing. Of course, there's more to it than that. Michael Fassbender stands out in his role portraying the android David, sitting comfortably somewhere between the bottom of the uncanny valley and the peak of convincing humanity. He's like HAL 9000, if HAL were a little handsomer. Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron both do excellent jobs in their respective roles, each echoing different parts of what made up Ripley's personality in the previous movies. The rest of the cast turn in solid, albeit somewhat stereotyped performances, but that's forgivable seeing as they're basically the horny teens of this movie's Crystal Lake. They're certainly more likable than the cannon-fodder of most horror movies.

A common criticism of this film is that it tries too hard to be profound and cerebral, and that the plot leaves too much unresolved; the people who feel that way have probably never read Lovecraft. Sure, the ideological tug-of-war that goes on throughout the film isn't anything too new, but here it's played out in a fairly novel and interesting way, and trust me, you often won't have time to poke holes in the characters' arguments before something a little more immediate and visceral moves the plot forward. As far as I'm concerned, that's just good pacing, not a movie that can't decide whether it wants to be scary or smart. As for the supposed "plot-holes", what people are actually complaining about is the lack of explanation for why a lot of things happen in this film (why is that guy a zombie now, where did that snake thing come from, what's the deal with airplane food?). What many people don't understand is that we aren't supposed to understand, that we are dealing with forces we never could understand. This is a big element in Lovecraft fiction, and it also plays strongly into absurdist and nihilistic views (which, conveniently, are played strongly against more orderly, religious views in the film). One of the key elements of creating fear in people is taking control away from them, and by extension, also taking away understanding. This is why many things in the film go unexplained. If they had wasted 10 minutes of the movie technobabbling about mutagens and DNA and what-have-you, if what happens in the film could be understood, it would severely undercut the horror. A world without rules, without certainty or consistency, is truly a terrifying thing. The film's creators know this, and it is for this reason that they choose not to explain the whys and hows of the so-called Engineers and their creations. It makes for something truly disquieting; a universe where God isn't one of us, and he isn't on our side.
  20. Jun 11, 2012
    Wow. Can not believe all the negative reviews. It might be spaam on here honestly. This movie was amazing! the directing, the acting, the visuals, the sounds, the intense scenes, the premise of the film were all fantastic.
  21. Jun 19, 2012
    The first thing you need to know us that the only movie that has any relevance and might be considered canon is 'Alien', also directed by Ridley Scott. He wanted to direct/write 'Aliens' and retain the franchise for himself, but the studio gave the project to Cameron who put out that turd which had nothing to do with 'Alien' . Like the idiotic queen alien. And every movie after wasThe first thing you need to know us that the only movie that has any relevance and might be considered canon is 'Alien', also directed by Ridley Scott. He wanted to direct/write 'Aliens' and retain the franchise for himself, but the studio gave the project to Cameron who put out that turd which had nothing to do with 'Alien' . Like the idiotic queen alien. And every movie after was monumentally worse than the last. So forget everything you thought you knew about the aliens, again like the moronic queen.. As for plot holes, there are none if you have more than four working neuron in your head. Ridley doesn't explain anything. You will never see one character explaining some part of the movie to another character that does or should already know but is really explaining for the audiences benefit. Everyone complaining about plot holes probably would have loved it if the studio had forced Ridley to add a voice over like they did with the original Blade Runner. This movie is amazing! This is where Ridley would have taken this franchise, no queen alien, no cloning Ripley, and never an A vs P. Expand
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    I really enjoyed this movie. I never saw the 'Alien' trilogy because I'm 25 and they were before my time. I went into this movie expecting an edge of your seat space-survival drama and got exactly that. As with all good stories it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and I very much prefer it that way. I found it was a nice change of pace from a lot of movies today that force the plot downI really enjoyed this movie. I never saw the 'Alien' trilogy because I'm 25 and they were before my time. I went into this movie expecting an edge of your seat space-survival drama and got exactly that. As with all good stories it leaves a lot of questions unanswered and I very much prefer it that way. I found it was a nice change of pace from a lot of movies today that force the plot down your throat. The movie doesn't pander to the dull witted or people who need every question answered. If you like this type of movie and you're willing to think a little bit then you should enjoy this film immensely. Expand
  23. Jul 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What I thought of Prometheus (I wish I had the energy to write a full-length review), posted elsewhere: Well, I'll be the contrarian about Prometheus - I loved it. I thought the opening moments of the film were provocative and mysterious. I got what it meant but did it really mean what I thought it did? There are no answers in this film, though the lead female scientist (Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw) becomes dogged about getting some. We are left to come up with our own. It sort of combined the naivete and passion for exploration of the early episodes of Scott Bakula's Star Trek: Enterprise with an ever-growing sense of dread. The goofiness of Rapace and Marshall-Green as Elizabeth & Charlie, the "love you baby" science couple is the innocent/naive quotient. And the moment you meet David, the android who has a penchant for looking/sounding like Peter O'Toole, you know this can't end well, knowing the history of androids in the Alien films. But the best thing about the film, beyond being beautiful to look at (I did not see it in 3-D and it was gorgeous) and intriguing enough for me to shuffle through the hallways of my mind re the earlier films, was to take that "ET phone home" nonsense about our space seed fathers being benign, loving aliens and turning it 180. I take it that most of the criticism directed at the film is by fan boys (sorry, I know y'all are passionate folks) who wanted another "Alien" horror film. While there are some extremely tense scenes (it's rated R for a reason), this film is also grand and filled with wonder in the old-style sense of what science fiction films used to be. And that's what did it for me. I would have given it a 10 but shaving off 1 point for somewhat weak character development (particularly of the supporting variety). Expand
  24. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was dragged to cinema the other day and since I was dragged there I was told I can choose what we watch. I chose Prometheus, I saw the advert a few days before and thought it looked alright, so we went in (having to sit row) and I molded myself to my seat ready for a what I expected to be a mediocre sci-fi film. I was utterly mistaken, for me Prometheus is one of the best films I have seen all year. It was thought provoking and thoroughly enjoyable, the film did provide a few parts that made me jump and a few parts that where extremely gory and gritty (including a cesarean to remove an alien baby). The characters where great, especially Micheal Fassbender's character, David, an android with intense loyalty to his creator. It was fantastic to see how the different characters from different backgrounds react to meeting there creators, it ended with everyone dead but two characters, one of whom was missing his body. It was defiantly a great film and I would thoroughly recommend it to any cinema goers. My favorite film of the year. Expand
  25. Oct 27, 2012
    There are a couple of reviews underneath that give this film a score of zero?They must have watched a diffrent film to me.If you want an excellant action/suspense film that with another 2 more films(IMO)that will tie it up nicley too the original Alien film if the sequals live up to this installment then you can't go wrong with this intelligent Sc-fi blockbuster!
  26. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
  27. Jul 2, 2012
    This is a symbolist movie of Manichaean horror in outer space. It is about finally facing off with a corrupt Demiurge that created mankind in a corrupt state using stolen tools, stolen fire--yet still the spark of the divine resides within us (Shaw will soon discover this). This is the kind of film where you take away from it exactly what you bring to it. A complete understanding requiresThis is a symbolist movie of Manichaean horror in outer space. It is about finally facing off with a corrupt Demiurge that created mankind in a corrupt state using stolen tools, stolen fire--yet still the spark of the divine resides within us (Shaw will soon discover this). This is the kind of film where you take away from it exactly what you bring to it. A complete understanding requires some particular mythological knowledge, that of ancient Babylon, Zoroastrianism, and the Persian flavor of Gnostic Christianity called Manichaeism that was popular at the height of Rome. If you have read in these subjects, the meaning of the film is illuminated plainly. Prometheus is brilliant, unexpected, and nearly perfect in every aspect save one: accessibility. This film is a nut to crack. It is not Transformers or Battleship. It is art. And it is amazing. Collapse
  28. Jun 10, 2012
    There are a few haters out there. and i can't understand why?! Besides the reason of "It didn't have many references to Alien or it wasn't as good as Alien." Prometheus was a excellent film and although it is a prequel to Alien (Somewhat) its a damn good stand alone movie. Did it have a few flaws umm maybe one or 2. but as a package the movie was fantastic. The acting was decent, noomiThere are a few haters out there. and i can't understand why?! Besides the reason of "It didn't have many references to Alien or it wasn't as good as Alien." Prometheus was a excellent film and although it is a prequel to Alien (Somewhat) its a damn good stand alone movie. Did it have a few flaws umm maybe one or 2. but as a package the movie was fantastic. The acting was decent, noomi rapace was pretty good, charlize therone was decent being a **** again (Snow White). Idris elba was the ships captain again decent acting nothing major. As For everybody else i felt they were fillers their acting was decent and for small roles you didn't need much acting. The standout actor in this movie is Michael Fassbender he steals the show! his acting was superb and his character was definitely the most interesting. while watching this movie i honestly didn't care much about the other characters than i did about David (fassbenders character). And while fassbender really wasn't a "Main" character he was a supporting character who actually turns out to be a main one he definitely has a huge role and is one of the main reasons for watching this movie. The story is simple 2 archeologists along with the prometheus crew go to another planet in search for their creators (human like aliens) and they do find them! and **** hits the fan (people start dying etc. etc.) definitely a good movie i don't wanna spoil anything but it is a good time, it is a great movie, it looks fantastic beautiful movie, i really have nothing bad to say about this movie GO WATCH IT! Expand
  29. Jun 14, 2012
    I saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender'sI saw Prometheus last week and it was pretty good. When Mr. Ridley Scott came back after hiding away for a little while, he wanted a film that is not an "Alien" prequel and discover the secrets beyond a mysterious vessel unlike any other. The film was incredible and Noomi Rapace (her hair looked the same as Ripley in the original Alien) was incredible. I also praised Michael Fassbender's role as David because he's more like a arrogant and sometimes humble gentleman, but he's more of a robot-like clone from "I. Robot." But the height and sounds of the movie gives you enough adrenaline, your heart pumps, and your feet is shaking as you go into a terrifying and explorational feeling you might can expect from both James Cameron and Ridley Scott. I've heard Prometheus is gonna be out on Blu-Ray sometime in the fall of 2012, but I'll save my money. From now on, I have to see this again. Expand
  30. Jun 15, 2012
    I thought this was a brilliant movie. Great acting, intriguing and original story line and stunning visuals. I'm quite surprised it's copped a lot of flack
  31. Jun 10, 2012
    Entertaining, with a plot that leaves a lot unanswered for, seemingly, a reason. The film sets itself up great as we slowly are absorbed into its world. As the film goes on, the mood changes and the final scenes had me on the edge of my seat. Sure, the plot is as full of holes as swiss cheese, and Ridley Scott seems to throw a new idea into the mix about ever other scene then completelyEntertaining, with a plot that leaves a lot unanswered for, seemingly, a reason. The film sets itself up great as we slowly are absorbed into its world. As the film goes on, the mood changes and the final scenes had me on the edge of my seat. Sure, the plot is as full of holes as swiss cheese, and Ridley Scott seems to throw a new idea into the mix about ever other scene then completely abandon it, but I can't help but feel that I have been incredibly engaged and immersed by this film. If you can get past its "hush-hush" attitude about 50% of the core plot material, you will definitely enjoy yourself. Expand
  32. Jul 22, 2013
    Me encantan las peliculas de ciencia ficcion, ahora se relaciona con los origenes de Alien, tiene buenos efectos especiales, reparto etc...

Que no tiene sentido la historia? pues por eso se llama ciencia ficcion, no se pongan tan payasos..
  33. Jun 11, 2012
    just saw prometheus, don't believe the reviews it was great but it differed from the core ideas of alien and that's what is throwing some people off

it was more of a dramatic sci-fi film like say, 2001 (although not as meaningful or cryptic) that tied up a few loose ends provided by alien (but not all of them, it was set on a different planet after all) it explained the space jockey, the

it explained the space jockey, the birth of the alien race and it set up a rough idea for how the events of alien were set up

a lot of the characters weren't quite up to the gritty, rough and really "human" ones shown in alien and aliens, but michael fassbender was amazing as david and the way he interacted with people along with a good steady progression of plot points and information given really made this film

the effects were really neat, although as I've said numerous times before I hate 3D for the stupid gimmick it is even when it's used to its fullest potential (see like, avatar, I suppose) but in this it was really inappropriate and there were only a few moments were I was even aware it was in 3D

overall: don't expect a film that captures the same feel of alien, because that's not what it's trying to be, but the characters and good story really make it worth seeing
  34. Jun 9, 2012
    Excellent move and well worth the time. At first I was confused, but once the movie got going, it completely explains a part of where the "Space Jockey" and alien creatures came from. It starts out slow, but if you hang with it you will thoroughly enjoy watching the entirety.

Can't wait for the next one.
  35. Jul 1, 2012
    Loved it so much. The scenes were beautiful specially in the beginning and I loved the aliens ship. The creatures were awesome. The acting was ok but Michael Fassbender was awesome. The 3D was just an extra.
  36. Jul 5, 2012
    A sublime sci-fi adventure ahead of its time. The only real fault with this film is not over-reaching, but reaching in too many directions all at once. A flawed gem, but a valiant step forward for the genre. Leaves many unanswered questions which will frustrate the impatient, but lays the foundation for a promising continuation of its own, which will captivate the imaginative.
  37. Oct 26, 2012
    This movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for theThis movie requires suspension of disbelief, and an open mind. If you watch Prometheus with the right mind set, you're in for a treat. If you're expecting an outright Alien sequel, you'll probably be disappointed. The script isn't the best and there are plot holes galore. Some of the holes are there on purpose and some are just odd missteps. No matter, this is a Ridley Scott feast for the eyes and sci-fi cinema fan. I enjoyed the movie on a second viewing even more than the first thanks to the wealth of deep analyses and thought provoking insights found all over the web. View Prometheus with a very open mind and you'll most likely be rewarded with an excellent sc-fi flick! Expand
  38. Apr 20, 2013
    I really feel that this may have flaws but i wont accept people getting a ZERO 0 for this film so i ll get it a 10/10 although it may have some flaws etc the basic concept, back round and fantasy behind this movie is outstanding.
  39. Dec 9, 2013
    Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.
  40. Dec 5, 2013
    This is a really great movie simpliy put and if you have half a brain and use it to think you won't have a problem understanding this movie at all.....
  41. Jul 15, 2013
    A solid film and possibly one of my favourite Sci-Fi films out there. It's rather slow paced but certainly picks up when it needs to. Stand-out performance would have to be Michael Fassbender but Noomi Rapace is a strong female lead, and Charlize Theron is always spot on with playing a villain role. It held my interest throughout and had an interesting storyline and concept, and peaked atA solid film and possibly one of my favourite Sci-Fi films out there. It's rather slow paced but certainly picks up when it needs to. Stand-out performance would have to be Michael Fassbender but Noomi Rapace is a strong female lead, and Charlize Theron is always spot on with playing a villain role. It held my interest throughout and had an interesting storyline and concept, and peaked at the right times. Overall pretty impressive stuff and those that like the genre won't be disappointed. Expand
  42. Jan 29, 2015
    Uma incrível jornada no espaço,com encontros assustadores,um macabro filme,com alienígenas estupidamente brutais e violentos. Ridley Scott entrega um filme com efeitos visuais brilhantes. E todos os atores são muito talentosos Noomi Rapace,Michael Fassbender,Guy Pearce,Idris Elba,Logan Marshall-Green E Charlize Theron que é uma vadia maldita neste brilhante filme.
  43. May 28, 2013
    This a great prequel to the Alien franchise! Sure hope that Ridley Scott's sequel to this is any better and we finally get to see our favorite killing machines!
  44. Oct 17, 2014
    Prometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I havePrometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I have personally seen, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Expand
  45. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus starts you off with a beginning similar in mystery and wonder to that of the liking toward Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but on a much larger scale. Throughout the film, you are to encounter an amazing usage of set design and digital effects that are far beyond many other movies seen today. The excitement peaks multiple times throughout the movie with a creepy, dark science feeling in between. Prometheus isn't just your average Sci-Fi horror flick, but an outside and adventurous journey to an alien world where mistakes ARE catastrophic. Though it is within the Alien and Aliens universe, this movie could very well stand alone as it's own masterpiece. The environment of the movie is so controlled but, yet it is free from any enchained mind, making it just as chaotic, if not more perilous than the other films. Prometheus is a keen breed of new and heavy hitting Science fiction-Adventure films that are rare to find these days, making it one of the most unique and awesome pieces of cinema to date. Expand
  46. Nov 21, 2013
    Great film in my opinion, the only way my opinion will change is if the follow ups don't link it properly to the original story line.
    Visually stunning, well written not perfect, but nothing is and well executed in general.
    I loved the original Alien film, liked the other films too. I don't understand what people's problem with Prometheus was. Among the plot holes suggested was them sending stupid scientists personally I thought that the fact that they were hand picked by a multi-billionaire who was quite clearly as mad as a badger explained that quite nicely.
  47. Jun 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's strange... I came away from the cinema unable to contain my upset at the way prometheus teased its plotline through scenes of horror action topped by the aliens fan in me nagging on the fact scott didn't just cast lance henrikson to reprise his role as weyland and make it all canon to the other films.
    Yet on a later viewing I found myself looking past such filmic foibles able instead to enjoy the wonder of artwork going on and appreciating its pace, timing and its finer details like the wonderful creature effects (mainly the translucent engineer skin wow). Still complete sequel bait asking and answering very little about its universe (apart from the engineers revealed as malevolent weapons manufacturers rather than space zoo keepers as i'd originally hoped).
    Fact is I still find myself imagining this universe all over again and that gives me naive hope for the next movie. 9/10
  48. Dec 25, 2014
    The most original Alien film since the first movie. All sequels were just copies of the first one. If you're looking for another horror action movie, then Prometheus is not for you.

Prometheus brings to the table some serious ideas. The portrayal of Engineers, the ones that created the Aliens and Humans was masterfully executed. The film subtly shows how human kind can be small compared to what may be actually going on outside of our solar system. Film raises more questions than it answers, but it does it in a smart way because all the questions seem to lead to one point which probably will be the core of the upcoming sequel, called Paradise (the home of Engineers). Of course, to those who are not interested in big questions about our existence, they'll get bored fast. Prometheus presents an idea, that Human kind was in some way created by an Alien civilization for some particular reason that's still unknown. Though scientifically speaking there's no evidence nor reason to assume something like that, it's still an intriguing idea.

I give this movie 10, because it dares to be more serious than fun.
  49. Nov 10, 2014
    I don't understand why people are so negative towards this movie. I felt like it was a great prequel to the Alien franchise and was well done. I enjoyed the themes in the movie and I am very excited to see Prometheus 2
  50. Oct 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest science fiction films of all time that deals with the most important themes such as our origins, how did we get here, who created us, the search for eternal life, archaeological messaging, the danger of making contact with extra-terrestrial, a future threat to our existence, the use of an alien species as weapons of mass destruction, human emotions v computer logic...and the list goes on.

I'm actually dumbfounded by the poor reviews this has received and suspect many just don't get it. Absolutely cant wait for the sequel.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.