6.5

1. Jul 21, 2012
    Sloppy script, flat characters, and a forgettable score. There are so many plot-holes and questionable actions taken by the characters you wonder if Ridley Scott even saw the script before he began shooting. I felt like my intelligence had been insulted by this film. However, Michael Fassbender, despite the pointless actions of his character, did an amazing job as David. The CGI was alsoSloppy script, flat characters, and a forgettable score. There are so many plot-holes and questionable actions taken by the characters you wonder if Ridley Scott even saw the script before he began shooting. I felt like my intelligence had been insulted by this film. However, Michael Fassbender, despite the pointless actions of his character, did an amazing job as David. The CGI was also top notch, but that's not really something out of the ordinary in today's films. Expand
  2. Aug 1, 2012
    Don't understand to people who rate low this movie. This is simple amazing, you can't move from your sit while you are watching this movie, and when it ends you have the feeling or the needing of more...
  3. Aug 7, 2012
    Basically, the theatre experience of Prometheus is like a date with a stereotypically dumb 'hot blonde' . A visual treat, fun while it lasts, but not something you think about fondly. ...And yes, I am that shallow ... but sadly, so is this film.
  4. Sep 18, 2012
    Prometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew range from completely forgettable to utterly useless (Does he REALLY need co-pilots, are those dart guns, should you really touch that Alien). Theron'sPrometheus is a truly odd thriller/odyssey. The main character, flying camera shots, makes a number of strong appearances. Unfortunately the human co stars make much less of an impression. Most of Prometheus' predictably rag tag crew range from completely forgettable to utterly useless (Does he REALLY need co-pilots, are those dart guns, should you really touch that Alien). Theron's character has a lot of dialogue but does almost nothing. David (the robot) is played terrifically by Michael Fassbender but suffers from a convoluted and confusing last few scenes where he goes from curious scientist to aloof murderer to possible savior all in the space of about 15 minutes. Shaw is presumably the protagonist although you wouldn't guess it or even want it. I watched the whole thing yesterday, went to bed content and woke up irritated. Basically, don't over think this one. Expand
  5. Dec 29, 2012
    The plot may not at first seem what it is. "You came looking for answers? You thought the Creator* would have answers? You were so wrong!" *(i.e. Ridley Scott)

Sorry. Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis: A bunch of space cowboys, bored from their hum-drum work, go looking for adventure: boldly going into dangerous regions looking for alien life as a source of

Sorry.

Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis:

A bunch of space cowboys, bored from their hum-drum work, go looking for adventure: boldly going into dangerous regions looking for alien life as a source of entertainment. However, will their amateurish bumbling and nihilistic fecklessness end in disaster for themselves and the life that they look for? The above is the only way one can look at the movie with any capacity to suspend disbelief. In fact, one would imagine that all the characters must be habitual abusers of narcotics, and that the android on board must be terribly badly programmed, in order to explain their erratic and idiotic behaviour (it would go some distance to explain away the bad acting). The holes in the script that are far too numerous to list - but these holes are small potatoes in comparison to these tired crash-test dummies that are called 'characters'.

The visuals are brilliant, the technology believable. The aliens in the film are entirely uninspiring. The film hints at things which are potentially quite interesting, but fails to explore any of them. This film could almost be categorised as a prequel to Alien, but doing so would invite a whole additional catalogue of plot holes (so for the sake of the film we'll say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of Alien). This is a suspense film that has no suspense, because one can see everything that is going to happen in advance. Space may be limitless, but the vision of Prometheus manages to be both blurred and narrow - a remarkable combination! Someone writing the script tried (unsuccessfully) to bring religion into the film. Thankfully, the exposition of the spiritual aspects of the plot are both so flimsy and shallow that the can be safely ignored altogether.
  6. Mar 11, 2013
    A Masterpiece. This film is breathtaking. If you were lucky enough to catch it in 3D like I did then you know this is how 3D films should be shot. It wasn't forced, it was just right.
  7. Jun 16, 2012
    In an effort to prove that George Lucas isn't the only director who can ruin an iconic cultural force from the 70s and 80s, Ridley Scott has provided a series of moronic answers to all the questions you never asked about Alien.

This steaming pile manages to be filled alternately with both an offensive lack of nuance and subtlety and also such glaring plot holes that it makes me wonder which the writers hold in more contempt: The Alien franchise, or its fans?

Once you get past the cheesy opening scene, the film actually starts off fairly well, building a strong sense of growing terror on a foundation of naive hopefulness, but descends into a pointless mess in the third act. In those rare moments where it manages to be unpredictable, it is idiotic and nonsensical. Where the original Alien was a delicate tool which built a sense of dread by subtle implication and rare, quick glimpses of the creature, Prometheus is a club, smashing you in the head with overt and cartoonish monstrosities meant to appeal only to the dumbest humanity has to offer.

I will give it a couple of points for some beautiful cinematography and the compellingly creepy performance of Michael Fassbender, but those qualities aren't enough to outweigh its obvious and innumerable flaws.
  8. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a Greek Titan punished by Zeus for playing a trick on him. The trick was hiding bull's bones in glistening fat (something inedible inside a pleasing exterior). When Zeus found out, he commanded Prometheus be chained to a rock for all time, where his liver is eaten daily by an eagle, only for it to regenerate overnight, due to his immortality.

Ridley Scott has delivered a similar trick; a film with a pleasing exterior: beautifully-staged trailers and plenty of talk about what a great film this will be. Ridley should be similarly punished for having delivered such bullâ
  9. Jun 16, 2012
    Eye candy, but jeez,... give me a story that makes sense. I actually feel used by this genre. I endured the Star Wars saga hoping for the heart of the first (or fourth, as it were). It never came. I endured the Matrix Reloaded and Revisited without the magic of the Matrix. I was hooked by Battlestar Gallactica and followed it to its end hoping for satisfaction but was handed loose ends andEye candy, but jeez,... give me a story that makes sense. I actually feel used by this genre. I endured the Star Wars saga hoping for the heart of the first (or fourth, as it were). It never came. I endured the Matrix Reloaded and Revisited without the magic of the Matrix. I was hooked by Battlestar Gallactica and followed it to its end hoping for satisfaction but was handed loose ends and cheap shots (Starbuck as an angel? Pleez!). Alien and Aliens are iconic but I knew better that to follow the idiotic franchise. Trusting R. Scot for Prometheus, I bit the bullet and got burned. In essence, it's a fabulous setting for a seriously flawed, potential jewel. Expand
  10. Jun 17, 2012
    This is the whole ball of wax--action, danger, horror, and the fascination of the unknown. Faster than the original Alien--which is one of my all-time favorites--and more challenging, more thought provoking. An android of immense subtlety and power, both mental and physical, acted with great skill. A powerful heroine. Superb 3D and CGI. And, one more thing! If you can't "figure out whatThis is the whole ball of wax--action, danger, horror, and the fascination of the unknown. Faster than the original Alien--which is one of my all-time favorites--and more challenging, more thought provoking. An android of immense subtlety and power, both mental and physical, acted with great skill. A powerful heroine. Superb 3D and CGI. And, one more thing! If you can't "figure out what was going on" you're not trying: I thought of a plausible fact-matching explanation for every uncertainty in the movie within ten minutes of leaving the theater! That's doesn't mean I've stopped thinking for better explanations--it's that much fun. Just question your assumptions, and all of a sudden the possibilities will start falling into place. Expand
  11. Jun 20, 2012
    Prometheus is haunting, beautiful, grotesque, exciting, thrilling, and suspenseful. It features incredible performances from Noomi Rapace, Charlize Theron, and mostly Michael Fassbender. This is the best film of the year so far and probably the most thought provoking films in the past decade. I give this movie 97%.
  12. Jun 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. ridley scott has definitely lost his mind/creativity a long time ago.
    everyone who liked this movie just a little bit, is either lying to themselves or has terrible taste in movies.
    everything in this movie is cliche & the only remotely interesting/relatable character is david. to see more on why this movie sucked watch:
  13. Jun 15, 2012
    I never sign up for these sites. But I did for this one. Only to agree totally with the review written by Taantric! A wonderful review of a sad use of millions of dollars. Everyone should read his review. I too, scratched my head at the sheer stupidity of the worlds greatest scientists sent on the journey to meet our 'creators'. When you consider the creature of the Alien franchisee andI never sign up for these sites. But I did for this one. Only to agree totally with the review written by Taantric! A wonderful review of a sad use of millions of dollars. Everyone should read his review. I too, scratched my head at the sheer stupidity of the worlds greatest scientists sent on the journey to meet our 'creators'. When you consider the creature of the Alien franchisee and then look at the tentacles of what is ultimately suppose to be scary you have to ask why? Too bad and too cheezy. You want to see deeper character development but it is unavailable, so ultimately you don't care as they die off. No Ripley character here worth savings. Just sad. Expand
  14. Jun 11, 2012
    Ridley Scott essentially remade "Alien," this time without the suspense or intelligence. I could list off the top of my head 10 unnecessary plot elements, most of which are rendered poorly. While the visuals are, at times, striking, the movie was, overall, a crushing disappointment.
  15. Jun 17, 2012
    Saw Prometheus at Cinerama dome in LA in 3d. It is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind. So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons who last had acting jobs roles in Deliverance. Within minutes of touching down (convenientlySaw Prometheus at Cinerama dome in LA in 3d. It is the story of a trillion-dollar mission to discover the origins of human life on a distant planet. Basically, this is supposed to be the greatest exploration undertaken in the history of mankind. So who do they send? A gaggle of fractious goons who last had acting jobs roles in Deliverance. Within minutes of touching down (conveniently beside the only 'man-made' structures on the planet ) the 'scientists' are dipping their fingers into strange primordial goo, lugging a severed alien head back the size of 2 watermelons back to an unquarantined spaceship in a glad bag. Two female Expand
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    An exercise in writing futility with trace amounts of surprising boredom and very few scares. Prometheus fails to deliver on many accounts what was promised in an exciting full length trailer, and from Scott and 20th Century Fox in general when they intended to make this film a semi-prequel to the 1979 Scott masterpiece Alien. The opening scene is impressive but immediately theAn exercise in writing futility with trace amounts of surprising boredom and very few scares. Prometheus fails to deliver on many accounts what was promised in an exciting full length trailer, and from Scott and 20th Century Fox in general when they intended to make this film a semi-prequel to the 1979 Scott masterpiece Alien. The opening scene is impressive but immediately the soundtrack is over bearing and slightly distracting, and it remains so through the duration of this film. The actors work with what they have (and it is very little, more on that later), but the standout is Michael Fassbender, with a mention to Idris Elba for being goofy and likable albeit a caricature. Cinematography is beautiful, but I am afraid the writing is not. Damon Lindelof fails on multiple levels, the plot is filled with holes and a lack of direction, the dialogue is absolutely dreadful (I am talking AVP levels here,if you thought Avatar had cheesy and cliche dialogue you may want to avoid paying for this), and the story remains unanswered toward the end. Oh, and I forgot to mention, we are hit over the head numerous times by heavy handed religious overtones, a Lindelof trademark apparently.

Is it a bad film? Ultimately, no. The horror scenes are alright (not truly scary) and the creatures cannot even come close to the greatness of the original xeno (although that was never expected). As I said, the filming is beautiful and it will please some audiences as the heavy handiness may go over their heads while watching. Sadly, towards the end of the film, I was shocked to find that I had succumbed to boredom, after months of waiting in anticipation for this film. That was the most disappointing thing of all, and epitomized a film of lost opportunity. It barely gets a passing grade for how gorgeous it is, but its script fails it in more ways than many will care to overlook.
  17. Jun 15, 2012
    Poorly written, a script charred by ambition, leaving a brilliant director to rely on special effects and stunning vistas. Theron is sorrowfully miscast and misused, traipsing around the ships deck as though it were the Parisian catwalks, rendering every minute of her performance a pretense. Rapace is enthused and dedicated, but seems to be the only character that is genuinely effectedPoorly written, a script charred by ambition, leaving a brilliant director to rely on special effects and stunning vistas. Theron is sorrowfully miscast and misused, traipsing around the ships deck as though it were the Parisian catwalks, rendering every minute of her performance a pretense. Rapace is enthused and dedicated, but seems to be the only character that is genuinely effected by the dread around her......towards the end the multiple mini climaxes are collectively anticlimactic, and sadly familiar. Can you outrun a falling spaceship? Do you care? No, not really. Expand
  18. Jun 9, 2012
    One must remember why most people attend the movies: to escape. As a passive voyeur, the movie viewer anticipates being taken away from the mundane and dreariness of everyday life to an artificial world of endless possibilities. And IMO, Prometheus accomplishes this.

Sure, there are holes and unanswered questions scattered about, but think about the last time you were told a story in person. Would you have remained engaged with the teller if each and every detail were painfully elaborated upon? Probably not, you possibly would've disengaged (physically, mentally or both). For me, Prometheus is a better movie for leaving some gaps and unanswered questions (within the plot).

If you want to escape reality and just have a good time at the movies, then Prometheus is for you. However, if you tend to over-analyze and critique for faults, then go on and read the low score reviews and save your money for when Prometheus goes to Blu-Ray.

Remember, it's just the movies :)
  19. Jun 12, 2012
    If you enjoy a high budget visually appealing movie that leaves the audience to self interpretation, then see this movie. Many will complain about "loose ends" or "holes" in the story, but I for one enjoy the unknown when it comes to a sci-fi psychological thriller such as Prometheus. Ridley manages to take us on a entertaining trip giving us insight as to what happened to the ill-fatedIf you enjoy a high budget visually appealing movie that leaves the audience to self interpretation, then see this movie. Many will complain about "loose ends" or "holes" in the story, but I for one enjoy the unknown when it comes to a sci-fi psychological thriller such as Prometheus. Ridley manages to take us on a entertaining trip giving us insight as to what happened to the ill-fated ship Prometheus that started the Alien Franchise. I agree with many of the "trolls" who state the characters were very shallow, for the director never really develops them, rather keeps the movie moving and the audience thinking and wondering. In summary, this is not a Michael Bay movie where little thought is required, this is a sci-fi ballet, once complete, will be the buzz in your car all the way home and into the next day. Expand
  20. Jun 10, 2012
    Prometheus stood on its own entirely. It was still a classical sci-fi film and had its action/thriller/horror aspects like the Alien movies, but in terms of its message and overall meaning, it was its own entity, and I thought was absolutely brilliant. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, never a dull moment. Plus I saw it in IMAX 3D (and the 3D was surprisingly good and notPrometheus stood on its own entirely. It was still a classical sci-fi film and had its action/thriller/horror aspects like the Alien movies, but in terms of its message and overall meaning, it was its own entity, and I thought was absolutely brilliant. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, never a dull moment. Plus I saw it in IMAX 3D (and the 3D was surprisingly good and not distracting), which made it a billion times more epic. Personally, I hope that the sequel tries to stay away from the Alien movies. I like the idea of Prometheus by itself, and the fact that Ridley Scott threw in that last scene made the movie a little less climactic. Yes, I definitely agree that this film gives new hope to the sci-fi genre. There were definitely some parts that were a little cliche, but overall it was fresh and absolutely thrilling. No idea why Madagascar 3 beat this at the box office this weekend. I may have to kill myself. Expand
  21. Jun 10, 2012
    It has all the trademarks of an Alien movie while combining science and religion in the search for the origins of human kind and the discovery of the possible end to life on earth. Scott uses great cinematography with intense horror to bring the story to life.
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    Awful script with shallow, underdeveloped characters and massive plotholes. One of the worst pieces of sci-fi writing I've seen in years. Even the great acting and direction can't redeem this film.
  23. G3R
    Jun 11, 2012
    The cgi is beautiful. The story is an old one, told many times before. What a waste of a great opportunity. I wouldn't waste my money on the theater with this one.
  24. Aug 19, 2012
    From the beginning of this movie where clues of an ancient civilization were found, to the ending where the prometheus space ship crashes into the other alien space ship, this movie kept me on the edge of my seat. This is a movie you wouldn't want to miss.
  25. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Visually stunning, yet the underlying story lacked futuristic plausibility and authenticity for the created realm. Initially I thought this was going to be this year's "best movie" despite the terrific competition, but unfortunately the movie left me scratching my head way to often. There's so many things I can nit pick to death about this movie that I can only rate it as "a good watch". There's so many questions I wish I could ask the writers, the director, and producers. Here are a few of the things that irked me most... (1) when reaching the planet, why wasn't the planet observed from space first to decipher the best place(s) to land and investigate? They should have treated this moment to be similar to how we in our present time treat Mars exploration. Study the geology of the planet and decipher where best to investigate further. Instead we got an immediate surface cruise with the hope of stumbling across an interesting feature to suggest that intelligent life exists/ed. (2) The removal of the space suit head gear inside the cavern just because some readings reported the atmosphere was similar to earth's air was extremely stupid and unrealistic. The risks... (a) unknown viral contaminates within the atmosphere that may not of been capable of being read by the scanner could have made the scientists deadly sick, any smart scientist wouldn't have risked that possibility, (b) any contaminates the crew themselves might have introduced into the alien atmosphere would have been equally foolish. Just think back to the history of our own world, when Europeans discovered America the sicknesses that got passed to the indigenous people were huge. The fact that all the other exploratory crew simply followed along after the male scientist took his off bothered me... was that a form of peer pressure or mass stupidity? (3) The Biologist and Geologist scientists. Part 1: When the crew discovers the dead alien body why is it alright for the crew to let the biologist guy walk away? Wouldn't the study of that corpse be one of the reasons he was brought along in the first place? Secondly, the Geologist guy, how is it that the guy who's supposedly the expert on understanding the cavern and the one who's in charge of the mapping drones, how is he the one who gets lost in trying to get out of the cavern? Plus, these two characters had the ability to stay in constant contact with both the ship and the rest of the exploratory crew while making their way back out. Not-to-mention, the Captain of the Prometheus was able to watch all of their exact positions within the cavern while being in constant contact with them. Part 2: These 2 characters were so scared of the dead alien body that they left the rest of the exploratory crew to get back to the ship, they also showed that same attitude when they were asked to check out a mapping drone which was signaling that an active life was near it, then when they find themselves back at the initial chamber they decide to have a look around? The biologist guy even decides to reach out in awe when being confronted by a worm-like creature, funny considering he was freaked out by the possibility of encountering something alive just a bit earlier and now he's all stupidly curious. Where did the character consistency go? (4) The investigating method the exploratory team had once the sealed chamber was opened. I'm surprised that the chamber wasn't treated more like a mix between a crime scene and a decontamination zone. Instead you had the characters simply walking around in awe, touching and handling a preserved alien head with their space suits and the AI character messing around and touching **** without using some sort of sample collecting tool(s). Plus, the fact that black goo substance was seen on the top(s) of some of these containers was that not enough of a reason to be more cautious about breathing in the air within that room? (5) The AI's decision to open the alien container inside the ship. First there's no evidence of him running any scans on it, which implies he couldn't have know the potential harm that could have been done to the atmosphere within the ship. He simply pulls out the vase like container from cool storage and he begins opening it. He even eventually cracks open the glass-like inner container to expose the liquid inside. What was a supposedly super smart AI thinking? That action endangered everyones lives within the ship, even his creators. Then there is the question of what happened to the rest of that sample? Did he destroy the rest after taking the amount on his finger to the male scientist or did he keep the rest of it. If he kept it, how did he prevent it from oozing like the black substance was doing in the chamber? BTW, the fact that the black substance was oozing out of the vases inside that chamber, does that imply that all of those glass-like containers were broken, except for the one he took with him? Expand
  26. Jun 11, 2012
    I'm a huge fan of early Ridley Scott sci-fi. Bladerunner and Alien have been two of my top ten movies of all time, for over two decades. It's probably because of this that Prometheus failed so hugely for me. As soon as the first preview was released, I was amped for this film.I watched every preview, Ridley Scott interview, and pre-release item I could find. I knew I had "expectations"I'm a huge fan of early Ridley Scott sci-fi. Bladerunner and Alien have been two of my top ten movies of all time, for over two decades. It's probably because of this that Prometheus failed so hugely for me. As soon as the first preview was released, I was amped for this film.I watched every preview, Ridley Scott interview, and pre-release item I could find. I knew I had "expectations" that few directors could meet--including my all-time favorite. Now, it seems, I cannot find five redeeming things to say about the film without thinking of 85 complaints.What was the purpose of the Prometheus "God" in the beginning sequence, drinking the "alien Koolaid?" Why were the "gods" angry with the "earthlings? Why couldn't the creature designers pick and stick with ONE alien creature design--instead of the squid-vagina-penis-cobra-Alien 3 morphed creature combos? The original Alien design was so perfect, so basic, so original; it was as if Scott couldn't decide on how to represent that concept in the "pre-story" so he just went with ALL the ideas. What was the point of making the beautiful Bishop re-dux robot character, David, an evil-plotting-alien-spawning bad guy? How many "homages" does one director get in one movie? There was the 2001 Space Odyssey -bicycle-basketball scene, the John WIlliams' Star Wars theme music. .... The narrative is splintered, incongruent, and non-sensical. The special effects canNOT save the film from its many contradictions and easy horror ploys. Expand
  27. STS
    Jun 11, 2012
    This is a visually spectacular film and one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a while. I think people that complain that it isn't 'like Alien' just aren't paying attention, and anyways, why would you want Scott to just remake something entirely the same. This is set in the same universe, but tells a different story. There are some weaknesses, such as some of the characterThis is a visually spectacular film and one of the best sci-fi films I've seen in a while. I think people that complain that it isn't 'like Alien' just aren't paying attention, and anyways, why would you want Scott to just remake something entirely the same. This is set in the same universe, but tells a different story. There are some weaknesses, such as some of the character development, but then again, the original Alien didn't give us a lot in that regard - perhaps it's more noticeable here due to how much it is trying to show. As for unanswered questions - I have answers for each one, they might not be the "Right" answers, but it's what I'll choose to take away from the film, and as a real sci-fi fan, I love that. I usually hate 3D films, but this was gorgeous, and so smooth, even better than Avatar. Not a perfect film, but a real quality science fiction film for fans of the genre. I sincerely hope something else will follow this film! Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2012
    I have been racking my brain all day contemplating just how this terrible movie could have ever been written, made and released. And what I came up with is drug addiction. Everyone involved in the decision making processes of this movie must have been high, hung over or in withdrawals to allow for so many terrible decisions, ideas, errors and redundancies to be incorporated into oneI have been racking my brain all day contemplating just how this terrible movie could have ever been written, made and released. And what I came up with is drug addiction. Everyone involved in the decision making processes of this movie must have been high, hung over or in withdrawals to allow for so many terrible decisions, ideas, errors and redundancies to be incorporated into one two-hour movie. Talk about the inability to criticise one Expand
  29. Jun 12, 2012
    A truly phenomenal movie! Acting was top notch, plot was intriguing and the visuals were spectacular. Script was well done despite all the criticism. Many people just can't appreciate the style in which it was written. A kind of style that says, "if it doesn't need to be explained, don't explain it." Also, the characters were GREAT. Michael Fassbender was was brilliant as theA truly phenomenal movie! Acting was top notch, plot was intriguing and the visuals were spectacular. Script was well done despite all the criticism. Many people just can't appreciate the style in which it was written. A kind of style that says, "if it doesn't need to be explained, don't explain it." Also, the characters were GREAT. Michael Fassbender was was brilliant as the android David, and added a great mystique to the character who was already fascinating in the script. Noomi Rapace was fantastic as Elisabeth Shaw. A character who was kick-a$$, but in a very believable way. A magnificent example of a "strong female lead". Any flack the film may receive concerning the crew making "stupid mistakes" is unjustified. Considering humans have never encountered anything remotely close to what the characters in the film come into contact with, it's safe to assume that the same mistakes could be made my any real human being. Point being, the characters were believable, and made choices and mistakes real humans might also make. If you are at all a fan of the Alien universe or good cinema you will love this film. However, if you are expecting a Hollywood blockbuster like Transformers or a token horror film, this film is not for you. Overall Prometheus is a brilliant film and a worthy revival of the Alien universe. Expand
  30. Sep 3, 2012
    Prometheus is not perfect. There are too many characters with too little dialogue and it's far too short. Ridley Scott should know that a film of this scale needs a bit more down time in which to breathe properly (directors cut, please!). That said, Prometheus presents a visually stunning sci-fi feast which offers more questions than answers. That's exactly the way sci-fi should be;Prometheus is not perfect. There are too many characters with too little dialogue and it's far too short. Ridley Scott should know that a film of this scale needs a bit more down time in which to breathe properly (directors cut, please!). That said, Prometheus presents a visually stunning sci-fi feast which offers more questions than answers. That's exactly the way sci-fi should be; mysterious and intriguing. It's a film that begs to be re-watched and debated about. As a movie in the Alien franchise, it doesn't make it into the same league as Alien or Aliens but it is far, far superior to any of the others. Expand
  31. Jun 11, 2012
    This was a bad movie and it had nothing to do fitting into the Alien(s) universe or not. The story made little to no sense but worst of all the characters were idiotic. This trillion dollar expedition staffed with what we presume to be elite & eager SCIENTISTS must have spent years training and planning, at least two years in hibernation travelling billions and billions of miles to makeThis was a bad movie and it had nothing to do fitting into the Alien(s) universe or not. The story made little to no sense but worst of all the characters were idiotic. This trillion dollar expedition staffed with what we presume to be elite & eager SCIENTISTS must have spent years training and planning, at least two years in hibernation travelling billions and billions of miles to make first contact with an alien civilization no earthling has ever encountered before, and what happens when they finally arrive at their destination? They act like a bunch of college kids on a road trip. Let's get laid. Let's get lost in cave system that we just completely mapped out and then immediately get high. Let's remove our helmets and breathe the air, because heck why not? Let's do no science and touch every possible slimy unknown substance we can and take it all back to the ship without any sort of quarantine procedure. In fact, screw it, let's just turn around and go back home.

Cabin in the Woods had way more humour and suspense and even John Carter was a more entertaining sci-fi movie.
  32. Jul 23, 2012
    If you just had one word to describe Prometheus, it would be inconsistent. Ridley Scott's return to the genre that made his name is far from the triumphant one we all hoped for. It's undeniably visually spectacular, and there are occasional glimmers of Scott's past glory, but for the most part it's an uninspired piece of filmmaking. Michael Fassbender is excellent as the android David, andIf you just had one word to describe Prometheus, it would be inconsistent. Ridley Scott's return to the genre that made his name is far from the triumphant one we all hoped for. It's undeniably visually spectacular, and there are occasional glimmers of Scott's past glory, but for the most part it's an uninspired piece of filmmaking. Michael Fassbender is excellent as the android David, and entertainingly channels Peter O'Toole in his performance, but his character's motivations are never really made clear. Noomi Rapace is decent as the film's primary protagonist, the God-fearing archaeologist Elizabeth Shaw, and thankfully doesn't try to imitate Ripley. The rest of the cast are unfortunately made up of under-performing A-listers (Theron, Elba, Pierce) and TV actors who were doubtlessly hired because they were cheap. You do get a few good sci-fi horror moments, though they pale in comparison to, and lack the expert use of tension in Alien, despite the fact that these scenes are essentially paying homage to Scott's original work. In the end, the most disappointing aspect of Prometheus is its story. After an excellent setup, it meanders and plods between set-pieces, and provokes more new questions about the origins of the Alien film franchise than it answers. Aside from Fassbender and Rapace, the odd moment of wonder and beauty (Prometheus' stunning initial descent onto the planet, David admiring the colossal glistening holographic star map that surrounds him) and a few knowing winks in reference to Scott's original sci-fi undertaking, Prometheus leaves a lot to be desired. The big ideas are there, but are not handled with enough insight, intelligence or creativity, which results in a diverting, but not particularly satisfying film. A sequel might be on the way, so let's hope that next time Ridley Scott endeavours to be braver, more original and more exciting in his creative vision. Expand
  33. Jun 12, 2012
    This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer.This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer. The visuals (cgi and all) were certainly beautiful, and the acting was spot on as well. The main flaws in this movie were the editing and it seemed a bit corny at times to me, and it didn't seem to answer any questions either, i left the movie slightly confused, but overall this movie was slightly over par, but not by much, and if you are a fan of the alien franchise its worth the admission, but if you haven't even seen the alien films, you will have no idea whats going on. 6.5/10 Expand
  34. Jun 12, 2012
    I thought this movie had a really good story, great special effects, inspiring movie score, fantastic cinematography, creative creature design, and scary moments that were actually scary. I enjoyed every minute of it, however... the execution was off. The story had plot holes and the transition between scenes were awkward. Now, I know Ridley Scott has a tendency to make very long moviesI thought this movie had a really good story, great special effects, inspiring movie score, fantastic cinematography, creative creature design, and scary moments that were actually scary. I enjoyed every minute of it, however... the execution was off. The story had plot holes and the transition between scenes were awkward. Now, I know Ridley Scott has a tendency to make very long movies that are very difficult to edit for theatrical release. For example, his film Kingdom of Heaven suffered the same problem and it ruined the movie, but then the directors cut showed us the full version and everything flowed perfectly. I will give Ridley Scott the benefit of the doubt until I see the full version. The movie wasn't flawless do to some poor acting and lack of great characters, so I'm going with a 9. If I see the full version of this film, and it still has those plot holes or transition problems, then I will downgrade to an 8. I think everyone was expecting perfection, and we didn't get it, so the disappointment is resulting in lower user scores than it actually deserves. Expand
  35. Aug 26, 2012
    A grand and brilliant spin-off to ALIEN, PROMETHEUS provides great performances and impressive visuals, it is also a must see for fans of the ALIEN series. I loved this movie.
  36. Jun 16, 2012
    For those who have not seen this movie, let me offer you a spoiler. IT IS NOT GOOD. Please save your money in the hopes that it can be put to good use. Instead of telling you why this movie sucked (see any of the other red reviews), I will instead give you ideas of better ways to spend your $10.Buy 10 twinkies. Pay someone to rub your feet. Buy some jello. Buy a new pair of socks. Get aFor those who have not seen this movie, let me offer you a spoiler. IT IS NOT GOOD. Please save your money in the hopes that it can be put to good use. Instead of telling you why this movie sucked (see any of the other red reviews), I will instead give you ideas of better ways to spend your $10.Buy 10 twinkies. Pay someone to rub your feet. Buy some jello. Buy a new pair of socks. Get a haircut. Pay someone to clip your toenails. Buy a sandwich.

Ok, I could write all day betters ways to spend your movie money. Really, anything you do with the $10 you save will be better. I'm still beside myself that I sat through this movie with high expectations only to be kicked in the nuts and sent home with gum on my shoe. In typical 'Lost' fashion, the recipe the author of this movie uses is to put 100 vague incomprehensible ideas in a hat and pull them out randomly to form the basis of his script. He aspires to be a smart, profound writer but delivers an inane, insipid monstrosity of a script. The fact that people that this script was good is way scarier than the contents of the script. Is this movie supposed to contain fear or suspense? The most suspense I had was the black movie screen moments before the movie started. From there, it degenerates into a circus of laughable situations better suited to a sci-fi version of keystone cops than a credible drama or suspense movie. The writer(s) clearly feel much smarter and in tune with intellectualism than they can deliver. It took about 10 minutes into the movie before this frightening realization becomes apparent. Nothing in this movie can be adequately explained by either common sense or even the most elastic form of science fiction. Some scenes are so ridiculous in nature, I have to wonder how R. Scott could actually direct them with a straight face?! Well, the R. Scott of yesteryear would not have. I guess people do lose their wits when they get old. People go on about the effects and cinematography. Ahem...Really? It's nothing great at all! Wooooo some nice flyovers of a waterfall....geez people. There are 3 settings in this movie. The alien ship, which is dark and mostly hollow and uninteresting. The planet landscape, which is just some earthlike mountains and sand, and the prometheus ship with its neato sliding doors and flashy lights. BIG DEAL! Not great at all. Forgettable. Some mention the music, which is annoying. Too loud and ever present. They are trying to lull you into a trance so you will ignore the daft sillyness that takes place on screen. Only a moronic screen writer would think that a good movie means to drown you with loud whispy music, while dazzling your eyes with irrelevant visual effects, etc. etc. It's good for a commercial, which is basically what this movie is. A commercial for what I have no idea. I can only hope it's not advertising another movie like this......
  37. Jun 15, 2012
    An entertaining sci-fi movie, but some plot holes and head scratching character interaction keep this from being a classic. Prometheus is a movie that screams potential, but after hitting its stride in the 2nd act, it trips and faceplants in the 3rd. There are two majority groups here that unjustifiably overrate this movie and underrate this movie. People giving this movie an 8,9, or aAn entertaining sci-fi movie, but some plot holes and head scratching character interaction keep this from being a classic. Prometheus is a movie that screams potential, but after hitting its stride in the 2nd act, it trips and faceplants in the 3rd. There are two majority groups here that unjustifiably overrate this movie and underrate this movie. People giving this movie an 8,9, or a 10 claim that there are no holes (or you are stupid) and that this is an instant classic. The other group sees the gapping holes and silly character interactions and fail to see the aesthetic value of this movie. Lets be frank here, there are plot holes big enough that you can't formulate educated theories around. This is not as smart of a movie as it tries to be. The characters do not act realistically on numerous occasions and it breaks the immersion. However, every other part of the movie is very pleasing to the eyes and entertaining. Fassbender is the highlight of the movie and the movie is at its best when hes on screen. The movie throws in some fan service at the end that blatantly tries to connect it to alien, but fails to evoke more than a "wtf" pause. This movie is definitely worth a watch if you are a sci-fi fan, but make no mistake, this is no Inception in the "smart movie" department. An enjoyable, but frustrating experience. 7 out of 10. Expand
  38. Jun 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wow, what a disappointment. This movie was complete nonsense, the characters at best acted hysterically unprofessional, and at worst suicidal. They literally didn't seem to give 1 sh1t about their well being. Plot points were pulled out of the @sses of the writers with literally no supporting evidence. People act incongruently and in contrived-plot-serving ways that literally made zero sense, and practically no one acted with an ounce of caution. There was no tension, and the main characters were hardly even likable. 2 characters pretty much literally committed suicide. The movie starts off strong with excellent special effects, scenes and 3D, but halfway through the movie, I was utterly disgusted. Expand
  39. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. when ridley scott does a movie well, it's beautiful! i loved aliens, gladiator, blade runner, but prometheus was a big disappointment mostly because of the script...

ridley scott's signature is his ability in depicting the vastness of or closeness of an environment, the intricate detailing and grandeur of of a scene, and creating an impactful ATMOSPHERE; i didn't really get much of that in this movie. also, there was very little character development so you didn't become involved with anyone; i wanted to learn more about charlize theron's character but it never happened, the altruism of the captain and crew to sacrifice their lives wasn't developed so i didn't feel any empathy, even with the main character ('shaw' noomi rapace) i didn't get a sense of her motivation for her search? the only character that had any character development was david the android, but his motivations were not clear either, although it seemed there was a "pinochio" metaphor going on..and is he supposed to have emotions or not, confusing? and the whole scene and aftermath of the pregnancy and self operation, was terrible! it didn't add to the story nor was it believable how she could do it awake and then start running right after? (oh, yeah medical technology i guess...whatever...)

overall a let down. wait for video.
  40. Jun 11, 2012
    Although visually wonderful to behold, the story is downright dreadful and dull. People who expect a prequel to "Alien" will be disappointed, even if you just want to see a decent scifi-horror-flick you might leave the theatre dissatisfied. All of the characters seem to suffer from the infamous "character in a horror movie disease": They got the depth of cardboard cutouts and their actionsAlthough visually wonderful to behold, the story is downright dreadful and dull. People who expect a prequel to "Alien" will be disappointed, even if you just want to see a decent scifi-horror-flick you might leave the theatre dissatisfied. All of the characters seem to suffer from the infamous "character in a horror movie disease": They got the depth of cardboard cutouts and their actions are ranging from inconsiderate to insanely stupid. Expand
  41. Jun 12, 2012
    I finally saw Prometheus last night and boy was I completely disappointed. For a movie directed by Ridley Scott and set in the universe of Aliens, the movie was a complete letdown. A movie without an effective narration, which this had, is just a waste of 2 hours sitting in the dark. My biggest qualm with Prometheus is the fact that nothing was reasonably explained, for example, who wereI finally saw Prometheus last night and boy was I completely disappointed. For a movie directed by Ridley Scott and set in the universe of Aliens, the movie was a complete letdown. A movie without an effective narration, which this had, is just a waste of 2 hours sitting in the dark. My biggest qualm with Prometheus is the fact that nothing was reasonably explained, for example, who were the 'Engineers', and why did Michael Fassbender's character, David, intentionally infect Logan Marshall-Green's character, Charlie Holloway. Idris Elba's character, Janek, with no explanation and completely out of nowhere, reveals all and concludes that the planet is a storehouse for weapons of mass destruction - it seems like he pulled that one out of his ass. The movie gets to a point where the questions that you want answered you no longer care about because it hasn't effectively pulled the audience into the story, and all you want is for the 2 hours to just pass. At the end Noomi Rapace's character, Elizabeth Shaw, wants David to take her to where the 'Engineers' came from - which is an obvious setup for a sequel - but after about 2 hours, I no longer care if she ever achieves that. All I'm hoping for now is for James Cameron to step in to the director chair and elevate the sequel to Prometheus like he did with Alien. Expand
  42. Jun 16, 2012
    This movie is a pretentious mess. It would seem to want to be 2001 but is so badly written it just jars any sensible viewer out of any immersion. It looks pretty but whatever questions it wants to pose are obscured by the screaming stupidity of character actions and glaring holes in the plot. it gets credit only for some striking visuals quite unrelated to the story, and admirableThis movie is a pretentious mess. It would seem to want to be 2001 but is so badly written it just jars any sensible viewer out of any immersion. It looks pretty but whatever questions it wants to pose are obscured by the screaming stupidity of character actions and glaring holes in the plot. it gets credit only for some striking visuals quite unrelated to the story, and admirable efforts of actors Rapace and Fassbender. Efforts by some to credit the movie with deep meaning by hanging all manner of ex post facto metaphor and symbolism are like actually trying to tell the future with a fortune cookie. NOT recommended viewing except as an example of lazy, incomprehensible writing (thanks for nothing Mr. Lindlhof), and failure of communicating either interesting or meaningful ideas to an audience. Expand
  43. Jul 24, 2012
    This move is a major disappointment. I expected more from the acclaimed director of Blade Runner and the original Alien. This is just a rehash of every SciFi cliche, form 2001 Space Odyssey to the Thing, and sadly the previously mentioned classics. The story is like bad fan fiction, full of plot holes and inconsistencies and wooden acting. Really bad. Save your money.
  44. Oct 9, 2012
    I am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right. unfortunitly i don't know if old age has taken its tole on Mr Scott or he just got handed a script that got rewritten to death but in the endI am a Huge fan of the first two Aliens films and a back story i thought sounded great and it sounded even better when i heard Ridley Scott was gona be directing . I thought has to be eather him or James Camron no one els can do this right. unfortunitly i don't know if old age has taken its tole on Mr Scott or he just got handed a script that got rewritten to death but in the end Prometheus has major plot and character issues. it just doesn't develope any of them very well. The pacing also feels very sluggish and i am not even sure what this movie in the end is trying to pull off. Its also a major let down that the Aliens don't make a showing in this film atleast not till the very last sceane . If it had more of them with some more suspense , horror , and alittle action could have improved this alot. In the trailers it tried to make it feel like its a suspense horror flick but really thoose elements feel so small in this film . The special effects are great and the acting is ok and 2 of the creatures do look kind of cool but thats about the high light of the film . Its been going on 30 years since we had a Great Aliens Film and it looks like we will just have to wait longer. Expand
  45. Jun 13, 2012
    Believe the negative reviews. This movie's plot makes no sense. It features terrible acting from big name actors, unbelievably bad old man make up, and a complete lack of suspense. Go watch the original Alien, with its outdated effects, and enjoy.
  46. Jul 1, 2012
    My review is mostly a response to the negative reviews for the film , which I find really shocking. I want to adress the criticisms. One common complaint is that there is poor character development, which leads us to not care when crew members die. But considering there are 17 members on board, while alien had a crew of maybe 7 or so, it would be impossible to develop all 17 characters inMy review is mostly a response to the negative reviews for the film , which I find really shocking. I want to adress the criticisms. One common complaint is that there is poor character development, which leads us to not care when crew members die. But considering there are 17 members on board, while alien had a crew of maybe 7 or so, it would be impossible to develop all 17 characters in 2 hours while still focusing on the main plot of the film. The rest of the crew is as expendable to the plot as they were to the weyland corperation who employed them. The main focus of the film, IMO, was to expand upon te mythology hinted at in the first alien film, while creating new questions as well. I don't see people complaining about the unanswered questions in Ridleys original alien film, so why all the complaints about "plot holes and unanswered questions" here? It seems pretty obvious that this Mbps intentionally created new questions aout the space jockey race, and expanded the universe, rather than just throwing a bunch of xenomorphs on screen and making an obvious alien prequel, which would have been a lot easier and certainly less risky from a creative standpoint. Another complaint I have seen is that the crew was "too dumb" to be scientists and that their behavior was absurd or not realistic in some way. Well guess what, humans are typically dumb, fearful, and weak. Just look at the history of our world and it becomes obvious. The plot wanted to emphasize that even though humans have developed and advanced in terms of technology, our minds are just as primitive as ever, which our creators, the space jockeys, definitely realized. Why should it be surprising that these people would behave irrationally when xonfronted with unknown species on a brand new planet? Some of the people criticizing the film seem to think that scientists are somehow super humans or something. Guess what, they are just ordinary people like you or I, who focused their time and energy on scientific pursuits, in this case they wanted to discover the origins of a species they believed to be the creators of mankind. I fail to see where the plot holes lie, why people expect 17 characters to be fully developed and focused on even though they are not integral to they key plot points, or how this film is any way close to a travesty like the star wars prequels. This did not conflict with alien in any way, it only expanded upon the universe presented there. The fact that the scientists decided to go on an expedition primarily based upon faith does not equal a plot hole. Since when does a scientist have to be a cold calculating machine based on hard facts? It seems obvious that they were meant to be complex characters with multiple beliefs and motives, just like people in the...wait for it...real world. The android of David is the opposite, as he serves his programming primarily, which reflects the inherit flaws on humanity which cause us to follow our beliefs and gut instincts, sometimes to our downfall. The film encapsulated these themes beautifully, all while expressing masterful special effects, beautiful cinematography, and an open ended ending whic leaves us with more questions wondering "whats next?" Rather than making a predictable alien prequel, Ridley Scott did so much more, and did not spoon feed the audience the answers we so desperately crave as the audience, and as humans. A lack of answers does not equal a plot hole, and this movie was a burst of fresh air in a world of predictable sequels remakes and overall unoriginal ideas. The fact that there is so much criticism for this movie baffles me, and I feel it truly deserves much more praise than it has received. Expand
  47. Jun 23, 2012
    Wow, so many haters. This was the best movie I have seen in years. Epic acting, bloody, nasty scenes, and a very well structured story. I slept during most of the Avengers movie, but in this one i couldn't even blink. **** the haters.
  48. Jul 11, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movies of all time warrants a score in the mid-60s? Sorry, but that one is far too low. In a gripping tale of a 2001 - A Space Odyssey adventure, characters and cinematography meet in a great yarn about the source of life.

Admittedly, this is not original material. One can see monsters, android and space ship seat from Alien to the degree that one must ask if the owners of the rights to those movies either licensed their art or are preparing a suit against everyone involved in this movie unless they are all owed by the same people.

But the scenes continue to mark new territory as Ridley Scott certainly knows how to get under your skin and make the whole thing plausible. In the end, you leave happy to have spent your money, especially if seen in 3D iMax.

Highly recommended.
  49. Sep 20, 2012
    I thought this movie was fantastic. There is alot of thought provoking material within the film unfortunately it is often just glossed over and it could have been explained a little stronger. The character development is handicapped too but having seen alot of the deleted material that will be put
    in the soon to be released DVD/Blu Ray, its nice to see some of the characters explained a little better. It's a confusing film at times and offers more questions that answers and I think that frustrates some people. I found it absolutely intriguing. Visually the movie is stunning. A top notch film from a top notch film maker.
  50. Jun 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really wanted to like this film, but the movie suffers from very apparent re-writes after re-writes. Too many hands spoiled the pie. Prometheus had no clue where it was going and there was too much reveal literally at the start and the various trailers. I don't think Ridley Scott has lost his touch, but I think he's at that age where he's unable to fend of annoying studio executives who demand too many changes or are pushing for a deadline.

Alien is one of the greatest movies ever made due to its simplistic story line, same goes for the action packed Aliens. The movie left you with a sense of wonderment, surprise, letting your imagination run wild. Prometheus straddled between both, and failed miserably, part suspense, part pop corn, leave your brain at the door summer block buster, the story did not know where to go, and worst of all, spoon fed the audience like a newborn.

Once again though, Michael Fassbender was awesome, Charlize Theron does what Charlize Theron does best and a rather interesting Ray Stevenson. Unfortunately Noomi Rapace is no Sigourney Weaver and I blame the script more than her acting as her character was...rather dull.

While this movie will probably make bucketloads of money, I feel it's a rather unfortunate let down for all Aliens fans out there. Oh, and by the way, it is an Aliens Movie, it just doesn't know it yet.
  51. Jun 9, 2012
    Prometheus was a major let down especially considering that it was directed by Ridley Scott. The casting , acting and special effects are decent but the story is lacklustre and never seems to get going. Prometheus not only lack tension that made the original Alien movie so good but also ruins the mystery surrounding the space Jockey race. Somethings are best left unmade
  52. drm
    Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. OK. Let me preface this review with a couple of facts. The original 'Alien' is a masterpiece. That movie scared the hell out of me as a 7 year old. I'd read the book, so I'd coerced my parents to take me to the movie. Sigourney Weaver had a lot to do with that, because she's a really good actress. Prometheus just doesn't quite hit the mark. It's a good, fun, well-detailed movie to watch, but gets flaccid toward the end. I don't blame Ridley for any of this. I blame **** 'Lost' writers for this. Guys who sit up at Comicon panels every year and say, "We're not going do anything that stupid", and then they do. Nice one. There are glaring plot holes in this thing, mainly concerning the evidence left behind from a previous expedition, an escape suite, an escape pod, other fully functional alien spacecraft lying about, and all sorts of unseen wreckage, that the cast from the '79 cast should've seen bold as day. I thought the "Engineer" aliens being near-human was a total lazy cop-out too. It was unnecessary. Weyland wasn't Lance Henriksen, which creates some other problems, and the artificial person really broke with canon for more reasons than I care to count. Despite all it's flaws, I did have fun watching it. It's delightful to look at, but it isn't an 'Alien' movie. Ridley...you need to start writing this stuff yourself. You're better at it than these lousy, lifestyle, wanna-be nerd hacks. Expand
  53. Oct 7, 2012
    With no doubt an amazing piece of sci-fi. Could have been more sci and horror but having on mind that movies got to pay back for itself and cannot focus only on entertaining a small specific group of people I don't mind at all. Great directing, acting and truly one of a kind Giger's macabre biomechanic arts and design. Father of the genre returns and shows how it needs to be done.
  54. Jun 26, 2012
    Prometheus es una cinta verdaderamente facinante, y en el campo de la ciencia ficcion, una cinta legendaria de su tipo, ademas de tener un impresionante uso del 3D, quisa el mejor que haya visto en una pelicula, y señalo bien que no soy fanatico del 3D. Scott nos lleva en una viaje lleno de suspenso, accion y misterio, la forma en la que combina estos elementos para traernos asi unoPrometheus es una cinta verdaderamente facinante, y en el campo de la ciencia ficcion, una cinta legendaria de su tipo, ademas de tener un impresionante uso del 3D, quisa el mejor que haya visto en una pelicula, y señalo bien que no soy fanatico del 3D. Scott nos lleva en una viaje lleno de suspenso, accion y misterio, la forma en la que combina estos elementos para traernos asi uno de sus mas grandes logros hasta la fecha, independientemente de que se pueda tratar de una precuela de Alien o no, la pelicula toma su propia historia y trama con exito, Fassbender deslumbra en su actuacion, la mejor que he visto en el año, digna de una nominacion al premio de la academia por actor secundario. Ridley Scott ha hecho una pelicula deslumbrante, inteligente, y visualmente brillante. Expand
  55. Jun 8, 2012
    Well when Prometheus was announced some time ago I was more than a little excited, one because Alien is one of my all time favourite movies, and two Ridley Scott was directing. All these added together was more than enough to send my anticipation into a frenzy, then the first trailer came out. Oh my lord, that was it, I had to see this film at all costs.

Then something happened, another

Then something happened, another trailer was released, then another, then another. Then viral videos, then behind the scenes stuff, then more trailers. Then I kinda guessed the storyline and the outcome of the film, and now I've seen it, I was by and large correct. The marketing over load on this film, may have been overkill. Such a shame because the teaser trailer was so promising, but I did still go and watch it and I did still enjoy the film despite guessing the storyline.

Without giving too much away the film is set a few years before the original Alien film and explores the origin of mankind to the far reaches of space, but what they found may not be what they were expecting. One thing that did baffle me slightly was the technology used in the film, it made the future technology seem redundant, as the past seems far better equipped than the future, odd. But then this is both a positive and a negative, the positive being the film looks absolutely stunning, the set pieces are beautiful and detailed, the CGI is fabulous and photo realistic and virtually everything - down to the nearest speck of dust - looks good.

The cast is a nice mix, but character development is missing on most of the crew. The vast majority of them are totally forgettable, so you feel very little for them, something that is usually fatal in a "horror" film. But the main guys are great in their roles; Noomi Repace is well cast, though not a scratch on the Ellen Ripley character. Charlize Theron is fine in her cold commanding officer role, but is totally under utilised. But Michael Fassbender is on terrific form and completely steals the show, as the synthetic David.

Where my main issue with Prometheus lies is in its similarity with Alien, its more of remake than a prequel in a way. Thats not to say its exactly the same as Alien, but it feels oddly familiar and strangely lacking in originality despite trying its best to be original. The idea of the crew of Prometheus searching for mankind is very interesting, but in the end comes off as redundant and kinda lame. It tries to steer the film down a certain path, but it comes off more as ridiculous than ingenious. In the end you know what's going to happen which is another problem, and there is no real payoff at the end of the film. Not only that the film seriously lacks scares, the music is too loud and in your face. There is no gentle creeping and no silence to keep you on edge. The film therefore comes across more as a bad action film, than a good horror.

The trouble is Prometheus tried to distance itself from Alien and in doing so made itself less believable and predictable. But in a weird way I did like how they did it, could it have been better, hell yes, but did I ultimately enjoy the film, hell yes.

Prometheus isn't the masterpiece it set out to be. Its not as creepy and horrific as Alien and not as thrilling as Aliens, though it does have its own merits away from the franchise. If a sequel is made I won't be queueing round the block to see it, but I do want to come back for more. So despite a bit of mixed bag, I would still highly recommend Prometheus.
  56. Aug 22, 2012
    Total rubbish basically. Mysterious things in a story are supposed to be compelling, but Prometheus has nothing to draw you in. Nothing to keep you on the edge of your seat. Zero atmosphere. Weird stuff happening for no reason is not good story telling. The space jesus angle, as some say the symbolism alludes to, is too preposterous to even consider taking seriously. Prometheus is by farTotal rubbish basically. Mysterious things in a story are supposed to be compelling, but Prometheus has nothing to draw you in. Nothing to keep you on the edge of your seat. Zero atmosphere. Weird stuff happening for no reason is not good story telling. The space jesus angle, as some say the symbolism alludes to, is too preposterous to even consider taking seriously. Prometheus is by far the most disappointing film I've ever had the misfortune to watch. Expand
  57. Oct 15, 2012
    Lots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engagingLots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engaging plot that will appeal, I think, to movie goers who appreciate a little more sophistication to a plot. Are you an adult who enjoys Kevin Smith movies? Or are you into Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, or any young-adult-book-turned-into-a-movie franchise? If so, this movie probably won't be your sort of thing. The themes are different and require a different mindset. Everyone else; you must see it. An amazing ending that reminds me a bit of the end to The Empire Strikes, I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel. An achievement of the genre. If I could rate it higher, I would Expand
  58. Sep 5, 2012
    Fantastic film and a great return to science fiction from Ridley Scott however the film brings with it several flaws which is disappointing as the film has so much going for it from the performances to the stunning visuals one thing is for sure though is that the first hour is amazing and sets the tone perfectly.
  59. Nov 12, 2012
    I had to review this movie again & after watching it 3 straight times I've come to this conclusion...why was this movie made? Can Mr lindenloft explain that....? Once again the opening scene is utterly pointless...it proves we were not made from them but like an unwanted baby growing in the womb of some chic you just wanted to bang...you accidently got her pregnant which is what theI had to review this movie again & after watching it 3 straight times I've come to this conclusion...why was this movie made? Can Mr lindenloft explain that....? Once again the opening scene is utterly pointless...it proves we were not made from them but like an unwanted baby growing in the womb of some chic you just wanted to bang...you accidently got her pregnant which is what the opening scene STONGLY SUGGESTS! His DNA turns black & withers away but he falls in the water & wah la....were accidentally created so when you hear...why are we hear or why did they create us common sense should tell you to laugh! The acting is superb...the visuals are impressive throught out but that's not enough to cover the SHEER IDIOCY of what follows next with no logic what so ever! Why is David seen eating food in the beginning & drinks the same green juice as the captain when they all first awake if he's a machine? Why does David care about his looks..he's a machine? Why did weyland fake his death? It serves no purpose since it wasn't explained why he did it! why is David so sensitive to insults? How do you come to the conclusion that cave drawings are an invitation from aliens....when humans drew the pictures? Why is it that when everyone is told...WE FOUND A NEW PLANET THAT MAY HOLD THE KEY TO OUR EXISTANCE....no one gets excited? How can you conclude that these aliens are what made us with absolutely no proof? I thought scientist's relied on facts? How is it that they have high tech equipment & a spaceship but have helmet cam's that cant record? Why show holograms of aliens running but not what's chasing them? What happened to all the aliens that killed our creators?did they leave & if so...how? How do you get lost when you have video & radio contact with the ship & crew...AND A 3D MAP YOU JUST MADE? If the head of an alien is so important(& it was) why electrify it without testing it to make sure you don't destroy it? Why didn't halloway stop them from destroying an important find? Why did David kill halloway? I thought he probably wanted data on what would happen when he introduced alien dna to the human body but they ignored giving a logical resaon for why he poisoned him! Why play with an alien snake? I thought these people were smart? Why did David turn off the cam so vickers couldnt see what he saw? Why didn't vickers ask David why he turned off the camera when he got back? Why are there holograms of aliens practically showing anyone who comes there how to fly there ship but no lab where the bio-engineered aliens were made? How can you use a flame thrower in an environment that has no air?if David was really a shady character wouldnt he have helped get the Alien out of Shaw & take it for himself like he took the alien capsule in the cave? Why is vickers in possession of a medical machine that's only for men?HOW DID SHAW USE THAT SAME MACHINE to get the alien out of her when it scanned her? I'm sure it noticed she was female but it still performed the operation? Why didn't anyone question why Shaw walked in the room all bloodied with a Hugh scar across her stomach? Why didn't she tell anyone about the alien trapped in the machine? How did fifield just pop up if he was looking at the screens the whole time? Why was fifield a murdering zombie? After fifield was run over where did the guy drive off to...he left the ship & never returned! After just pulling an alien out of her body & learning that weyland was still alive...why continue back to the cave instead of seeking medical attention?why was our creator sleep if they were planning to kill all humans? Why did he go berserk & kill everyone if they so intelligent? Why kill all humans anyway? The captain told vickers to go to HER ship & he will eject it in 40seconds(which he did) SO WHY DID SHE GO TO AN ESCAPE POD? why run from a ship falling in the EXACT path that your running? Yet not go left or right? Why travel to an alien homeworld to get answers when you see first hand they'd rather kill us then talk to us? WHY DID I WASTE TWO HOURS WATCHING THIS ILLOGICAL MESS TO SEE AN ALIEN POP OUT THE ENGINEERS CHEST(ITS WHY I SAW IT IN THE FIRST PLACE) ONLY TO BE FOLLOWED BY THE ENDING CREDITS? people like this crape but cant explain why...they just say it was good but don't know why lol well...I have a Hugh list supporting why this movie is a waste of brain cells....AVOID THIS IF YOU WANT ANY LOGICAL ACTIONS BY SCIENTISTS. BUT IF YOU LOVE NICE VISUALS WITH A GOOD IDEA RUINED BY IGNORANT PEOPLE POSING AS SCIENTIST'S WHO DOES THE MOST ILLOGICAL THINGS FITTING OF RETARD INBRED HILLBILLY PROMETHEUS IS FOR YOU....A RELIGIOUS SCIENTIST'S GOOD GOD THIS SCRIPT WAS BAD!! Expand
  60. Feb 11, 2013
    If the purpose of a film is to make you question every other scene and constantly wonder why someone is doing or saying something, Prometheus has nailed it. This movie has a great cast and director, with some phenomenal effects and cinematography, but has absolutely failed in the one area that counts the most: the writing. Lindelhof (that hack writer from Lost) is at it again with yetIf the purpose of a film is to make you question every other scene and constantly wonder why someone is doing or saying something, Prometheus has nailed it. This movie has a great cast and director, with some phenomenal effects and cinematography, but has absolutely failed in the one area that counts the most: the writing. Lindelhof (that hack writer from Lost) is at it again with yet another "everything is a mystery with no answers, and that's edgy and cool!" script that will have you pulling your hair out and googling questions after watching it. I've never been so frustrated watching a movie before. Expand
  61. Jul 6, 2012
    This movie lost me at the very beginning-there i NO explanation or evidence of anything that would lead to space mission.Why that planet?Looking at cave pictures is atrociously poor reason.It's juvenile writing.I can't comprehend what mind can go with it after starting point that weak.Its degrading SF genre intellectually to a 1950s SF uneducated mainstream mentality regardingThis movie lost me at the very beginning-there i NO explanation or evidence of anything that would lead to space mission.Why that planet?Looking at cave pictures is atrociously poor reason.It's juvenile writing.I can't comprehend what mind can go with it after starting point that weak.Its degrading SF genre intellectually to a 1950s SF uneducated mainstream mentality regarding everything.It's offensive and scary to think that an average consumer has sink that low.Are people really have such a short attention span and are that stupid?It terrifies me. I could go on about plot holes,other "science" facepalm moments,bad characterization,fact that none of the questions are answered by the end of a movie...but why bother?If you use brain to think this is 0,if you like CGI and lived under a rock for last 10 years you will love this movie and find its theories interesting. Expand
  62. Jun 9, 2012
    I give this movie a 96% and I could write this review and explain why (the perfect acting, the amazing special effects, and the incredibly gripping story), but you can read all about those things in the other 9 or 10 reviews. I'll be taking time to explain why this movie got extremely mixed reviews. Simply put, a large quantity of people only enjoy movies that have the plot-line spoon-fedI give this movie a 96% and I could write this review and explain why (the perfect acting, the amazing special effects, and the incredibly gripping story), but you can read all about those things in the other 9 or 10 reviews. I'll be taking time to explain why this movie got extremely mixed reviews. Simply put, a large quantity of people only enjoy movies that have the plot-line spoon-fed to them. Alien was, although a quite possibly perfect film, one of those movies. In order for a movie to be great it doesn't need to have an amazing plot, really the plot of "Alien" is incredibly simple with pretty much one plot-twist, but it was still a quality film. Prometheus is the opposite end of the spectrum. Prometheus has an incredibly large plot-line, literally striving to explain the existence of humanity, a controversial and mind-crippling topic. However, it leaves much of the explaining up to the audience. It's a movie that you'll find yourself thinking about for weeks afterwards, still coming up with a plethora of theories. It's not just the plot that's incredible, though. This movie doesn't strictly rely on scares and thrills like Alien did, but it still has well placed moments that are chilling and appropriate to develop the plot and make you think even more. In fact, it contains possibly the most disturbing and tense movie scene I've ever witnessed. The movie is written by the same guy who wrote LOST, Damon Lindelof. Did you like LOST? Then you'll love Prometheus. If not, then you should be spending your money on movies like "The Expendables". Expand
  63. Jun 13, 2012
    A decent score and promising start full of bleak beauty, conveying a good sense of the vulnerability of space travel, isolation, and the beauty of life. Up until the point the main body of actors are introduced, the film was going excellently. Two main things let this film down- the characters and the plot. That sounds pretty damning, like there isn't anything left to salvage it. Not so.A decent score and promising start full of bleak beauty, conveying a good sense of the vulnerability of space travel, isolation, and the beauty of life. Up until the point the main body of actors are introduced, the film was going excellently. Two main things let this film down- the characters and the plot. That sounds pretty damning, like there isn't anything left to salvage it. Not so. Good points were excellent visual appeal, reasonable tension, a believable level of future technology, and engaging questions about the origins of humanity. The characters. It is such a shame when a film is ruined because characters do not act believably. There may not be a faster way to ruin a film. The most obvious example of this is the sheer recklessness of the so-called scientists. They are just falling over themselves to stick their tongues into unknown goo. The list of these incidents honestly goes on and on. In fact, the number of incidents of people actually behaving believably are so few that they stand out like megaton blasts when they finally crop up. The motivation of many of the characters is very muddy, and is never clarified. Most of the characters are never explored at all, which somewhat diminishes the impact of their later noble sacrifice.

The plot. For the first half of the film, it was essentially the exact plot of Alien, although there is nothing wrong with that. It wrestled (not wholly unsuccessfully) with grand themes, but left most questions unanswered, and the few answers offered were very ambiguous. Everytime it felt like a revelation was about to be reached, the resulting pronouncements were always rather vague. A lot of possibilities were hinted at, but nothing really concrete was ever offered to any of the million questions posed. It felt too much like it was paving the way for a sequel, and not enough like a self-contained plot. In general a lack of answers and a lack of continuity. There was never really any impetus or momentum, just a series of barely related (and generally icky) events.

The alien beasties were reasonably grim and imaginative, although lacking the classic horror that made Alien so good - allowing the imagination to fill the gaps. Perhaps it's just the biologist in me, but the alien's life cycle made no sense whatsoever. It was as if the film studio had 5 wacky ideas of horrible alien creatures, but couldn't be bothered to bring them together cohesively, so just tossed them into the film willy-nilly (I'd bet decent money that this is exactly what happened).

The major themes of "Where did we come from?" and "Do we actually need to know where we came from?" and "What does this mean for religion?" cropped up repeatedly, and made for interesting intellectual fodder. There was definitely more than just a cursory nod to exploring these ideas, so well done there Mr Scott. As if it even needs to be said these days, but the special effects were seamless. Many parts of the film were visually very rich, and the score was very good. In fact, the set designs really were outstanding, an extremely lustrous visual world that satisfied very well on a superficial level.

All in all, not a terrible film. It had all the pieces necessary for a good film, yet it cemented them together disjointedly and inexpertly- like shattered diamond stuck back together with excrement. With another edit, and maybe 3 minutes additional footage here and there this could have been an excellent film. So nearly a classic 80s sci-horror, but not quite.
  64. Jun 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The dying question that all of mankind has to know is, who created us? what are we created for? That is what the main question in the movie Prometheus. Is this an Alien prequel? I believe this is the second question that has been on everybody's mind. A team of explorers discover a clue that leads them to a far planet across the universe. there, they make a terrifying discover that might change the course of mankind. first, I would like to state that if you're expecting aliens to pop out and cause hell on people, that is not what we have here. I believe that if you look at this movie as a syfi horror film, and not expecting aliens to steal the show, you will happily enjoy this movie a lot more. Michael Fassbender was absolutely marvelous in his role as Android David. he plays the part so compelling that at times seems like he was a robot. Fassbender was evil without even knowing. the movie also had great performances from everyone. Noomi Rapace was a good lead, and had that Ripely feel. the visual effects were outstanding, especially if you see Prometheus in 3-D, which I highly recommend. the one thing that I admired the most about this alien Odyssey was the clever script. the film has a lot of stories going on (three to be specific) all come together. all in all I defiantly enjoyed Prometheus enough to see it twice in theatres. the one flaw to the movie, which was a big problem, was the character development. 17 crew members on the ship, and director Ridley Scott only opened 5 characters to the audience. Charlize Theron played a fine roll, but her character was as pointless as alien 3 and alien resurrection. overall Prometheus is a great find for the extinct genre of syfi horror, and has tremendously great visual effects. Prometheus being a great summer blockbuster. the question. is Prometheus an alien prequel ? GO SEE in 3-D to find out! Expand
  65. Jun 18, 2012
    Ambitious film making at it's finest! A lot of people will be sore over Prometheus. Everyone wants to say it's because of the weak script, the unanswered questions or erratic pacing but it will be because of expectations overall, do to it's Alien DNA. It has been said to be a stand alone film within the same universe as Alien and people just started comparing the two. Yes, the movieAmbitious film making at it's finest! A lot of people will be sore over Prometheus. Everyone wants to say it's because of the weak script, the unanswered questions or erratic pacing but it will be because of expectations overall, do to it's Alien DNA. It has been said to be a stand alone film within the same universe as Alien and people just started comparing the two. Yes, the movie requires you to think a little harder than you usually would in a movie theatre but that's the whole point. As for all of the unanswered questions, for whatever reason, whether you need to come up with your own conclusions or Ridley Scott doesn't want to relinquish info that could possibly be in a sequel. Prometheus was a very guarded project, no one knew what to expect, so i'm just wondering why people are so upset at the fact that the movie didn't dumb itself down to revealing all it's secrets. That is my favorite aspect of the whole thing is that no matter how hard you try to answer the questions, another is lingering behind it. To me the pacing was just right, not going into this long process of introducing everything about it. The Sci-fi drama/thriller get right down to business and doesn't really hold back on any level viscerally or intellectually. There are not many film out there like Prometheus and it was a real treat to watch in IMAX. The entire premise was so carefully conceived i was in utter awe during most of the it, due to the amazing atmosphere, grand ideas, and pitch perfect performances(props to Fassbender on his eerily superb David) but the Noomi Repace takes the cake. The caesarean scene was by far one of the most intense things i have sat through during a movie, almost to the point where it was terrifyingly unbearable to watch. It was a fantastic experience that I wont soon forget and hopefully if were lucky, it's not over. People can be mad all they want but the entire crew has created something really amazing and the film simply strives to be more.

My advise to all the disappointed people would be to see it again. The second time I went, i immediately fell in love with Prometheus.
  66. Jun 23, 2012
    Prometheus is one of the most beautiful and intriguing films I have come across in a long time. Reading some of the negative reviews on here, it appears that most of them just want the answer spoon fed to them and are unable to think for themselves. The amount of debate this film has raised is because of the lack of answers! The cast all perform incredibly well, with particular notePrometheus is one of the most beautiful and intriguing films I have come across in a long time. Reading some of the negative reviews on here, it appears that most of them just want the answer spoon fed to them and are unable to think for themselves. The amount of debate this film has raised is because of the lack of answers! The cast all perform incredibly well, with particular note going to Fassbender as David the android. As mentioned earlier the film looks absolutely stunning; I highly recommend a proper IMAX experience (Manchester's very good) for the full effect, with brilliant looking sets and wonderful creature design.

If you're a fan of the Alien series you might have a better idea of what's going on purely because the films are set in the same universe, but they're still far enough apart for anyone to appreciate Prometheus on its own merit but please don't go into the cinema expecting a horror film like alien, or an all out action movie like Aliens, its very different and you might appreciate it more if you go in without these preconceptions.

Overall I think Prometheus is a very unique film, we haven't seen something like this for some time and I hope it paves the way for more intelligent Sci-fi films in the near future.
  67. Sep 19, 2012
    "They went looking for our beginning - What they found could be our end" Prometheus is a sophisticated, beautiful and very promising science fiction film which really makes you wonder what would have happened if it were real. I am a fan of science fiction and alien films and Prometheus is a classic science fiction that I would remember forever. I have been seeing a lot of negative"They went looking for our beginning - What they found could be our end" Prometheus is a sophisticated, beautiful and very promising science fiction film which really makes you wonder what would have happened if it were real. I am a fan of science fiction and alien films and Prometheus is a classic science fiction that I would remember forever. I have been seeing a lot of negative criticism from fans and it just makes me laugh because I don't get what else they were expecting this film to be. So, it's a lot easier for me to say that this film proved to be much, much better than my expectations because I really wasn't expecting it to be good, or even great. Ridley Scott kept this film separate from previous Alien films and that is prodigious. He delivered it wonderfully and deliberately left so many questions unanswered to keep the viewers wondering and let their thoughts go beyond the imagination. The plot might seem a bit typical and predictable sometimes but it has been executed and incorporated in the direction in an amazing way that is really worth watching. Hats off to Scott's direction and Damon Lindelof and Jon Spaihts' writing. Production design is brilliant, and so is the cinematography. Visual effects are up to the par and seem really good and believable and somehow a bit genuine (especially those blue-ish blurry ones, they were really good). Outstanding performances by Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, Michael Fassbender as David and Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers. I liked Rapace's performance so much because of her little bit resemblance to Sigourney Weaver's Ellen Ripley and also because she continued to shine like she did as Lisbeth Salander in the Millenium series. Overall, it is a really great film, which gives you a wonderful experience. Expand
  68. Jul 3, 2012
    The problem with Prometheus is that it isnt a horror movie, thriller, or an action flick. Its just a slow sci fi movie that asks a lot of questions and leaves them unanswered. You will walk out of Prometheus wondering what was going on, why things happened, and what was the meaning behind different events. I didnt walk out thinking I wasted my money, but I wasnt completely satisfied.
  69. Jul 9, 2012
    This is a movie that makes you think! These are the type of movies that I absolutely love! It's rare these days when we get a movie in the box office that actually presents a true and moral dilemma. In the case of, "Prometheus," it's the question of human existence. We follow a group of explorers, scientists, soldiers, and business folk. They have their different agendas, but have to knowThis is a movie that makes you think! These are the type of movies that I absolutely love! It's rare these days when we get a movie in the box office that actually presents a true and moral dilemma. In the case of, "Prometheus," it's the question of human existence. We follow a group of explorers, scientists, soldiers, and business folk. They have their different agendas, but have to know to work together. Making a tremendous discovery, it's nothing that they could have ever imagined. Special effects, acting, cinematography, and plot. It's all there! You need to see this movie! Expand
  70. Aug 21, 2012
    Ridley loses Mojo

Never thought I would say it about Scott, but once you take the special effects away what you are left with is a really, really poor "B" movie. Poor in imagination, poor in dialog, poor in science and poor in execution. The gaping holes in the plot cannot be filled by even the best Blarney you may hear from the likes of Lindenhof. Fassbender, an actor who I have a
    Ridley loses Mojo

The gaping holes in the plot cannot be filled by even the best Blarney you may hear from the likes of Lindenhof. Fassbender, an actor who I have a tremendous amount of respect for and is probably the best actor of his generation, did a lot of Scott arse kissing in the marketing lead up to this movie... well, it is was all for naught, his head ends up in a bag in a scene reminiscent of a really bad school play.

Great talent is lost through complacency. Let's hope Scott can find his Mojo and stop believing his own hype... starting with a better script would be an idea.
  71. Aug 28, 2012
    This is one of the best science fiction movies I have ever seen! Visually stunning, mysterious, haunting and with an ambitious story, and all elements blend together perfectly. The greatest part however is that Ridley Scott leaves a lot of space for the audience to fill with their own fantasy instead of breastfeeding them. What a perfect movie!
  72. Sep 5, 2012
    An incredible complement of the Alien's saga, which explains all the mysteries that the Alien universe lend us. A film that don't use a lot of digital effects but amazing sets, with an incredible performance of Michael Fassbender that musts win the Oscar this year. This film mixes the elegance and the science fiction in a perfect combination, showing again that this genre is capable toAn incredible complement of the Alien's saga, which explains all the mysteries that the Alien universe lend us. A film that don't use a lot of digital effects but amazing sets, with an incredible performance of Michael Fassbender that musts win the Oscar this year. This film mixes the elegance and the science fiction in a perfect combination, showing again that this genre is capable to make true masterpieces. Expand
  73. Feb 3, 2013
    Best sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, theBest sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, the idea of the film (humanity origin) is magnificent and so interesting and disturbing. The tension is present throughout the film. Some scenes are memorable. David´s character is so great and the actor does such a great job. And one last thing which helps to make you feel the experience: the special effects are Mind-blowing. One of 2012´s bests if not the best. The oscar nomination in that category is well-deserved. Big production with a brain. Great stuff Expand
  74. Feb 8, 2013
    This is the most disappointed I've been in a film in quite some time. I was really looming forward to Ridley Scott getting back to sci fi but this really missed the mark. The writing is so sloppy and the characters are mind numbimgly stupid. One take away is good effects.
  75. Feb 18, 2013
    I think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs all over the place. This movie felt right for me and certainly is set up well for a sequel. No matter what Ridley says, it is certainly a prequel of anI think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs all over the place. This movie felt right for me and certainly is set up well for a sequel. No matter what Ridley says, it is certainly a prequel of an Alien prequel in my view. So many questions, very few answers..........I'm looking forward to a follow-up though. That's where the real links should come together nicely.........hopefully. Very good movie though. Expand
  76. Mar 15, 2013
    A movie from which nothing meaningful can be extracted. A failure to Aliens as a prequel, a failure to itself as a stand alone film. Under-used Charlize Theron. Had an ending without a resolution or conclusion to anything. This movie has an amazing universe and set peices but does nothing interesting with them. Just one big disappointment.
  77. Jun 15, 2012
    It's unfair to compare the film to the original Alien. Taken on its own, I enjoyed it both times I saw it. Sure, it left many questions unanswered, but I'm hoping a sequel will delve into those issues. Fassbender and Rapace are both terrific. And Idris Elba is a perfect casting choice - there is a certain Tom Fontana symmetry there - Yaphet Kotto, from the original, is another Tom FontanaIt's unfair to compare the film to the original Alien. Taken on its own, I enjoyed it both times I saw it. Sure, it left many questions unanswered, but I'm hoping a sequel will delve into those issues. Fassbender and Rapace are both terrific. And Idris Elba is a perfect casting choice - there is a certain Tom Fontana symmetry there - Yaphet Kotto, from the original, is another Tom Fontana (Homicide / The Wire) favorite. Both excellent actors. Expand
  78. Sep 29, 2012
    This was one of the most disappointing movies this year. The promises and the hype were enormous, but all we got is a cliched plot and characters.
    The movie, though ambitious, contained the narrative, which could be called one big giant monstrosity, most of the questions raised in the film were left for a sequel, abandoned or made no sense at all. The science team was really out of place, stupid and careless. There is a religious tone in this movie, but the problem is, that we never discuss about it, there's only "I choose in what I believe" which is a huge cop-out. There was really nothing smart about this movie. It sometimes seen that Riddley Scott never did his homework before writing the script.
    There were so many opportunities to make this movie intellectual, and every chance was abandoned. No serious debate about science vs. religion, no serious discussions about the origins of mankind or they creators, or the reason for invitation, everything these "scientist" assume are just wild speculations and plot hangs on it. The engineers motives seemed dumb too.
    The only redeeming quality was the visuals and the performance of the actor who played the android. That's it. There's nothing good about this movie on the narrative sense. Ambitious, but bad movie.
  79. Oct 5, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superb!! One of the few movies in the past decade I've reflected on for hours. The best .. well, and worst... part of it is that you can't help people understand how great it is without devulging spoilers. I work with a lot of genius level people who didn't like it because they didn't get it. They didn't get it because their ability to reflect on the complexity of a film has been ruined by the fact that 99% of the films released today are dumbed down for the lazy crackhead generation.
    SPOILERS AFTER THIS POINT ************************************
    ***********************************************************************
    To appreciate the movie you must realize that the Alien in the beginning sacrificed itself by ingesting a biomechanical nano paste. The nano paste took its physiology to create a new spawned race with a DNA derived from it's own body.. and we find out later that IT WAS ON PRE-HUMAN EARTH! Now... even better was the fact that much of the movie concerns the planet that they find and their inability to understand what it's purpose is. They realize eventually that it's a military base armed with ships that contain biological weapons. These weapons begin with bio-tech nanos to gather information about a host, so that the weapon can be tailored as a super effecient killer of that species, or host organism (think face eating squid). They find that earth is due to be the target of a ship holding the bio-weapon.. why.. because we're a FAILED EXPERIMENT! Now.. even bettter than THAT is the fact that the humans accidentally interfere with the host information gathering process of the bioweapon and the target host ends up being the Alien of the superior race that created it. Thus the eventual 'Aliens' brand, acid for blood brand killing machine! Fn WOW! Now go read Taantric's review again.. typical self absorbed simpleton who focuses so much on trying to sound intelligent that he accomplishes the opposite. Find some time to read more dude....
  80. Oct 22, 2012
    Prometheus is one of those movies where the more you analyze it, the more annoyed you get. If you go in with the expectation of it being just a simple sci-fi movie, you will be far more satisfied than if you notice the lazy, incongruous characterization, storyline, and inept characters. Oops, there I go again.
  81. Jun 27, 2012
    Prometheus - A sci-fi, horror film that takes place in the universe of Ridley Scott's 1979 "Alien" franchise. A really well crafted and rich sci-fi universe, excellent cast and performances, along with a beautifully well written film makes Prometheus a must see for fans of the series and any real sci-fi and/or horror fan. Although this film is not a direct prequel that ties into the eventsPrometheus - A sci-fi, horror film that takes place in the universe of Ridley Scott's 1979 "Alien" franchise. A really well crafted and rich sci-fi universe, excellent cast and performances, along with a beautifully well written film makes Prometheus a must see for fans of the series and any real sci-fi and/or horror fan. Although this film is not a direct prequel that ties into the events of "Alien" - it does take place before the events of the first Alien movie. It also ends for intentions of a sequel, which might end up being the actual prequel that ties into the events of the first "Alien." Rather it will be or not, I'm really looking forward to another one of Ridley Scott's fantastic sci-fi, horror, works of art. Expand
  82. Jul 20, 2012
    First off, I think most people were upset with this movie because they thought it was going to be an Alien movie, which even I knew before it came out that it wasn't. I came into this having only watching Alien vs Predator and not the original Alien movies. I found this to be one of the best movies I have watched in a long time. The CGI is top notch and might be the best I have ever seenFirst off, I think most people were upset with this movie because they thought it was going to be an Alien movie, which even I knew before it came out that it wasn't. I came into this having only watching Alien vs Predator and not the original Alien movies. I found this to be one of the best movies I have watched in a long time. The CGI is top notch and might be the best I have ever seen in a movie. People who said the plot was confusing really must have not been paying attention. The plot was very engaging and kept you wondering what was gonna happen next. There are some unanswered questions, the most of which being the opening scene. However, the ending was set up perfectly for a sequel, which I hope they make. After watching it, I went and watched the original alien movies. I still found Prometheus to be one of the best prequels to a movie ever made. It showed how the Alien came to be and did it perfectly. Expand
  83. Jun 25, 2012
    direction: excellent
    cinematography: great
    special effects: great
    writing: terrible, illogical
    plot: full of holes

overall: the bits a greatness get lost as soon as you hear any of the characters speak. the plot holes make for an extremely inconsistent story base for the alien movies.
  84. Jun 14, 2012
    Joining the recent flock of movies inspired by ye olden days, Prometheus undeniably has appealing visual and boosts great acting talents, but somehow falls flat on the suspense. The pioneer journey which will set up Alien mythology is just that, a long prequel to Ripley's haunting inevitable encounter, which wasn't as breathtaking as Prometheus, but clearly had more visceral feel. ThatJoining the recent flock of movies inspired by ye olden days, Prometheus undeniably has appealing visual and boosts great acting talents, but somehow falls flat on the suspense. The pioneer journey which will set up Alien mythology is just that, a long prequel to Ripley's haunting inevitable encounter, which wasn't as breathtaking as Prometheus, but clearly had more visceral feel. That being said this is a decent space claustrophobic flick that might entice you with its flair.

Space age looks gorgeous in this rendition. The choice of color is sharp in its futuristic holographic setting while the hostile terrain of extraterrestrial deity is grimly dark. Carefully placed shots give more details for titular spaceship, and it's good to see the setting infused seamlessly into the plot. There are clean visual ambiances in contrast to the harsh alien planet. Its visual effect is definitely great, although it lost bits of that raw look usually associated with Alien.

Acting is good throughout with Naomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, a slightly over-religious protagonist who insists on finding a great deity somewhere out there. She is in no way a substitute for Ripley, and to her credit, I don't think she meant to be so. But she's not very likeable either with most of her time spent worrying about her faith. It's a bit odd choice to bring divinity so much, albeit highly possible and almost warranted in a movie about another being. Regardless, she put some work on making a strong protagonist, and she does looks like fem Shepard, I just don't think it's powerful enough for a lead character.

Michael Fassbender as David, a robot created by Wayland, played by Guy Pearce, is excellent throughout. You'll often look at him and ask whether he has emotion behind his smile. It's a very cold depiction of a character built just to serve his maker, he's an absolute enigma. Guy Pearce delivers quite convincing role as a dying old man, he moves very fittingly and talks just as a near death man wanting to find more to his life than waiting for death. His complex senior make-up and prosthetic limb add to that depth.

Charlize Theron as Meredith Vickers, whose gaze can petrified men, is almost as robotic as David. Callous and calm, she only exhibits some of her emotions, especially the later parts. She's in a sort of antagonist, yet again after the evil queen, very imposingly stunning. The rest are memorable by their silly deaths or the same lines repeatedly over the course of the movie.

What lacking here is that gory depressed feel of impending doom, instead you'll see the characters walk into volatile situation without lack of self-preservation. It's baffling to see that a group of scientists who perfected space flight go into their merry way just to be slaughtered, at least they must have seen a space horror movie in a century later, even David has a collection of classic movies.

There are only a few gory moments spread too sparse in the length of this quite long movie. It spends too much time in the build up but doesn't deliver that well, it seems that they want to make these moments to be extraordinary but just aren't suspenseful enough. The script is themed highly on faith, sometimes the characters are needlessly confrontational and most of the plots aren't resolved, which arguably a set up for another sequel.

It drags a bit and seems to be a lengthy teaser for upcoming title, although a visually splendid and greatly cast one. 6/10
  85. Jan 31, 2013
    A band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadly threat that may instead mark the end of existence! Ridley Scott returns to the Science Fiction genre in a major way with PROMETHEUS, a spiritualA band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadly threat that may instead mark the end of existence! Ridley Scott returns to the Science Fiction genre in a major way with PROMETHEUS, a spiritual prequel to the 1979 classic ALIEN. PROMETHEUS falls very closely in line with the look, feel, and overall mood of the original ALIEN, following a similar structure that includes many familiar characters and settings. Where the two diverge is in their actual storytelling techniques. ALIEN tells a simple yet effective story that comes to a conclusive end after the rising tension found in the first and second acts. The unavoidable plot holes that frequent PROMETHEUS raise more questions than answers every step along the way, leaving the audience to question the writers intentions more so than the grandiose theological discussions that are being proposed. If one thing is for certain, however, it is that Ridley Scott has lost none of his command over this visual medium, creating a mind-blowing display of visual effects that take us well into the next century and beyond the farthest reaches of space. With the suspension of disbelief held high, PROMETHEUS can surely be enjoyed as an epic space adventure in search of far greater meaning amongst the stars. Expand
  86. Jun 13, 2012
    Has way more questions than answers. Trying way too hard to answer the question of our existence existentially instead of just being a cool science fiction movie. I don't mind these questions being done in an interesting way, but it is not done that way here, and the characters don't have enough depth to make you feel otherwise. This movie looks super cool, and has two or three superHas way more questions than answers. Trying way too hard to answer the question of our existence existentially instead of just being a cool science fiction movie. I don't mind these questions being done in an interesting way, but it is not done that way here, and the characters don't have enough depth to make you feel otherwise. This movie looks super cool, and has two or three super intense sci-fi scenes. So if that's your recipe for a great movie, than you will think Prometheus is great. Expand
  87. Jun 10, 2012
    After a long and excited wait, I finally saw Prometheus on release day. It started out promising, but I first saw little red flags when the characters tried to present their pseudo-philosophy as deep and meaningful. Performances were good for the most part, but some dialogue seemed incredibly forced and the script made the characters do things they obviously wouldn't consider if they wereAfter a long and excited wait, I finally saw Prometheus on release day. It started out promising, but I first saw little red flags when the characters tried to present their pseudo-philosophy as deep and meaningful. Performances were good for the most part, but some dialogue seemed incredibly forced and the script made the characters do things they obviously wouldn't consider if they were realistic. Be prepared for a very shallow and loose ending that doesn't tie any of the plot up and might as well shout "Hey guys we're making a sequel!" Expand
  88. Jun 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this an Alien prequel? Of course it is, it has an alien in it and the space jockey and his ship. The film is really nice to look at particularly the opening sequence, the visuals are most of the reason i have scored the film a 7. Some have been puzzled by this sequence but my take is that the guy disagrees withth the rest of his race to kill humans so he kills himself. As many have said there are plenty of holes in the plot and the film asks more questions than it answers, you may like me leave the cinema scratching your head. This view has been countered with many saying the plot holes are part of the appeal and that this may have been deliberate. I couldnt disagree more, why pay good money to be confused or have your questions unanswered? The part where Fifield returns as some mutation is plain silly, not explained and added nothing to the film in my opinion. This is an average film albeit presently excellently, other than the visuals i cant find anything particularly good to recommend about it. I cant anything particularly bad to say about it either. Expand
  89. Jun 15, 2012
    This movie is just okay to me. The story doesn't make any sense to me neither. My fiancee and I was completely lost and don't even know what actual story about. Action is pretty good but story of itself is weak.
  90. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite some minor flaws, this got to be one of the best recent movies from Ridley Scott and a good welcome-back for the director to the science-fiction genre. It felt like a big puzzle for me, each piece being shown during the movie and only in the end (with a very clear reference to one of his previous movies) it falls in place. There are a few details missing which I expect to see addressed in the sequel.
    The important things you must know about this movie:
    1- You have to pay close attention to the movie, otherwise you'll miss several links in the plot.
    2- There's a central theme on this movie which you can only recognise if you're well aware of what Evolution truly means.
    3- Not absolutely necessary to watch Alien trilogy, but I recommend it. Particularly the first movie.
  91. Jun 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are no jump-out scares (or any that comes out of the screen when watching the 3D version) but there is a hell lot of suspense! Expect blood and gore aplenty and some very disturbing images. Expand
  92. Jul 2, 2012
    Loved it, left more questions than answers, despite formulaic sequencing from the original Alien and some heavy handed characterizations it was a great ride.
  93. Jul 2, 2012
    I enjoyed this movie more the second time round, having been a big fan since number 2 in the series, Aliens. I was initially (on my first viewing) disappointed, but thought the attention to detail on sets and tech was typical of Ridley Scott. Parts of the of the plot were left unanswered or stumbled upon just before the end of the movie.
  94. Jul 5, 2012
    This movie was excellent - I watched the alien series before watching Prometheus and I have to say this movie at least matched the tension of the first 2 alien movies. I have to warn you though, this movie is not for the weak of stomach - I completely understand if you hated this movie (I feel most love it or hate it). The last 3/4 of the movie are extremely tense throughout, with viewersThis movie was excellent - I watched the alien series before watching Prometheus and I have to say this movie at least matched the tension of the first 2 alien movies. I have to warn you though, this movie is not for the weak of stomach - I completely understand if you hated this movie (I feel most love it or hate it). The last 3/4 of the movie are extremely tense throughout, with viewers constantly on the edge of their seats. And although the tension is what the movie rides on, the movie also poses some deeper philosophical questions about the origin and point of life. The acting was superb, especially Michael Fassbender's portrayal of an android, and the special effects were great. For the sci-fi genre, Prometheus is simply epic. Expand
  95. Jul 9, 2012
    FANTASTIC! I was 7 when alien came out! I stayed deep in the country and there was nothing out there but dark starry nights. I loved STAR WARS, who didnt! It was sooo exciting and made me really believe thatthat there was something fantastic going on out there in space. Im no trekky,although I did and do love star trek. But when ALIEN came to the movies in my lil town it was the mostFANTASTIC! I was 7 when alien came out! I stayed deep in the country and there was nothing out there but dark starry nights. I loved STAR WARS, who didnt! It was sooo exciting and made me really believe thatthat there was something fantastic going on out there in space. Im no trekky,although I did and do love star trek. But when ALIEN came to the movies in my lil town it was the most talked about thing amongst the older kids. I had to see it cause I thought that I would be taken to fun exciting adventure.BOY WAS I WRONG! It seemed so real because the actors were normal people doing normal things. But it was dark and more scarier than my imagination has ever gone! The Alien was TRAUMATIZING! I couldnt sleep for 3 years! But when my cousins finally explained to me that by the alien being blown into space and space had killed it and that it wasnt gonna fall to earth I was ok. NOT! Then I started to wonder where did they come from and what was that other alien doing driving a space ship? Im 39 now and for all those years RIDLEY MADE MY DREAM COME TRUE! I just dont wanna have to wait 30 more yrs to REALLY KNOW WHERE THEY CAME FROM!!!! Thank u for introducing them to me RID OLE BOY! U R TRULY A VISISIONARY! NO OTHER SPACE MOVIES HAVE EVER CAME CLOSE!!!!! Expand
  96. Jul 10, 2012
    Prometheus, the (almost) prequel to the Alien trilogy, is great. Damon Lindelof, co-creator, producer, and writer for Lost, wrote a great movie, really brought to life by the cast and Ridley Scott. Noomi Rapace is just FANTASTIC as Shaw, the protagonist, and the supporting cast does a great job too, including Michael Fassbender as the artificially maniacal David, Idris Elba as thePrometheus, the (almost) prequel to the Alien trilogy, is great. Damon Lindelof, co-creator, producer, and writer for Lost, wrote a great movie, really brought to life by the cast and Ridley Scott. Noomi Rapace is just FANTASTIC as Shaw, the protagonist, and the supporting cast does a great job too, including Michael Fassbender as the artificially maniacal David, Idris Elba as the womanizing and reassuringly sane Captain Janek, and Charlize Theron as the self-serving and all around b-word Meredith Vickers. While it may be a bit complex and convoluted at times, it is really enjoyable, and like Alien, has an edge-of-your-seat freakiness. Aside from the various excellent superhero offerings 2012 has to offer, Prometheus is this year's best Sci-fi flick yet. Expand
  97. Jul 15, 2012
    I had to make an account here when I saw all the negative reviews. To really understand the movie's subtle plot points, you have to be a fan of the Alien film series. First, the scientists taking off their helmets: these guys have just discovered the people who created them. They are really not thinking rationally, they just want to get answers, no matter the cost.
    The guy petting the
    The guy petting the alien snake: he was seriously stoned at the time. Seriously, he was smoking weed in his suit mere minutes before.
    The pod being designed for males: it was built specifically for Weyland. Putting it in Vickers' room was a cover.
    Shaw running minutes after surgery: it is clearly shown that she is in great pain while doing this, but she is managing to power through because she knows that if she doesn't , everything will go to hell. Add in that medical technology has significantly advanced in the future, and it makes sense.
    Vickers running forward from the ship instead of left or right: well, OK, that was a stupid move.
    Finally, the connection to Alien: the ships in the film were the same model, but not the same ship. The ship in Prometheus was carrying canisters of a black fluid to be used as a biological weapon. The fluid, when ingested, causes two things: it affects the host's mind and body negatively, and it causes a larva called a Trilobite to form. Dr. Holloway ingested the fluid, and while he was having sex with Shaw, the larva transferred itself from Holloway to Shaw. Shaw removes the Trilobite with the pod, and decontaminates it, putting it into a state of paralysis that she mistakes for death. Meanwhile, it grows to a huge size because it was designed to, being the product of a bioweapon. Once Shaw and the Engineer came to the shuttle it was trapped in, it broke out and facehugged the Engineer; the Trilobite is the ancestor of the Facehuggers. Once the Proto-Xenomorph bursts out (it looks different because it came from an Engineer), it presumably goes on to become the first Queen, spawning new Xenomorphs. This probably gained the attention of the other Engineers, who collected a bunch of eggs and put them in a ship to use as weapons. One of the eggs hatched, all hell broke loose, the ship crashed, and then the Nostromo found it in Alien.
    See, it makes sense if you use your brain a bit.
  98. Nov 3, 2012
    The special effects are great, the scenery and photography is lovely but the film is as a whole a big disappointment. You would have thought that with such a budget they could have hired some guy to make a basic sanity check of the script but obviously that wasn
  99. Oct 12, 2012
    Just seen the film.
    I gave it a 6. The beginning is just so powerful, i loved the creation metaphor. Good ideas, visually perfect, brilliant atmosphere. But poor plot, action not logic, too many things just seemed accidental and not explained thoroughly.
  100. Dec 7, 2012
    I cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then it immediately proceeds to become lackluster, boring, and more and more implausible. The relentless stupidity of the witless script and cardboardI cannot recall another film, recently or in the past, that I've watched and felt such utter contempt for, afterwards. "Prometheus" was a stunningly bad film to have to sit through. Inexplicably confusing from the very beginning, and then it immediately proceeds to become lackluster, boring, and more and more implausible. The relentless stupidity of the witless script and cardboard characters that pervades this film as it ponderously moves forward to it's half-baked "conclusion" (which is only a lead-in to more of this rubbish) is laughably noticable, but you'll feel like crying in frustration when this mess is finally over.

Terrible film, simply appalling in every aspect. The characters? Fassbender's performance is drawing raves, but he's acted in better productions, and been far more magnetic than his chilly, repellant "David" character. Rapace is unappealing, Theron plays a wooden ice-block, the rest of the cast is forgettable, expendable, un-engaging. The story? A cross btw. "Mission to Mars," von Daniken's "Chariot of the Gods," and an "Alien" sequel directed by Uwe Boll. The visuals? The natural scenery was nice to look at, but the sets and effects were un-inspiring. ineffectual, unecessary to the plot, or downright silly. Often the camera barely focused on anything for more than a few seconds, as if to say "Oh, it's a giant, stupid looking head. Moving on folks, if you'll look off the starboard bow..." And for $130,000,000 what did people expect, "Dogville?" (This chalk-line represents the alien ship, this one a Xenomorph, etc.) Not a film for discerning movie-goers, of any genre. Anyone who thoroughly enjoyed "Moon," "Sunshine," Soderbergh's "Solaris," or even "Galaxy Quest" I believe will be stunned by how poorly executed and just plain bone-headed this film is to watch. I give this film a "10 out of 100" here only for the beautiful Icelandic scenery, and folks, that truly is all that's worth seeing here. The only questions anyone should be asking themselves after sitting through this is, "How could I have been mis-led into believing this was going to be an interesting film (in the very least) when all it is, is a shlocky, lavishly expensive, Saturday afternoon Grade-B action flick w/ fuzzy science and fuzz-brained leaps of logic?" I know I feel like a sucker for having watched this even once. Shame, Mr. Scott. Shame, Mr.'s Spaihts and Lindelof. SHAME ON YOU ALL!

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.