6.5

1. Nov 5, 2012
    I'm not big fan of the series but i likes science fiction films. I think it's wrong the ambientation because 2090 years it's a very short time for similar travels and technologies. 2090 it's early for travels type interstellar. the end of the movie i didn't like. could be better. However the sufficiency is deserved.
  2. Nov 9, 2012
    Look, the movie has a great plot and innovative ideas. It was the building in the movie that bothered me. The details were not clear, and everything still seemed blurred. This movie could have been a greatest Science Fiction movie that has ever been made... Shame
  3. Sep 25, 2013
    This is by far the biggest let-down I have ever had the displeasure to watch half of in the local cinema. The special effects were good, but the story line was near non-existant. The robot guy ended up killing people and god knows why, everyone has different theories, but the only thing that keeps this pile of trash afloat is the visual detail and suspense. Suspense for what? What's goingThis is by far the biggest let-down I have ever had the displeasure to watch half of in the local cinema. The special effects were good, but the story line was near non-existant. The robot guy ended up killing people and god knows why, everyone has different theories, but the only thing that keeps this pile of trash afloat is the visual detail and suspense. Suspense for what? What's going on? Oh my god my head hurts from trying to work out what the bloody hell's going on. Dad and I ended up waiting outside while mum watched the rest, and we preferred standing out underdressed at near-freezing temperatures among drunks from the local tavern joking about how godawful the film was than sticking it out watching the rest of that pile of crap. Expand
  4. Sep 26, 2013
    I write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as a serious devotee to Ridley Scott, so needless to say I was one of the countless swept up in the hype-hurricane surrounding this films development.
    I
    I guess what sets me apart from most is that I witnessed a film that actually exceeded my pipe-dream level expectations.
    I'll admit that I was skeptical if ANY film could potentially rival the utter brilliance of the 1979 masterpiece. What I was not prepared for was a film that not only did the original perfect justice but proved that it could be redefined.
  5. Nov 23, 2013
    This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv.
  6. May 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Most people would admit that there hasn't really been a truly good movie involving the idea surrounding the early ''Alien'' films since ''Aliens''. Since then, we've suffered the sub-standard final two films of the ''quadrilogy'' and the action packed but fairly pointless (I thought) Alien vs Predator films.
    Therefore I wasn't expecting big things from Prometheus. I didn't really get them either, just an enjoyable and well thought out prelude to the original Ridley Scott film of 1979.
    This is Ridley Scott's first ''Alien'' related film since the brilliant, clammy and atmospheric horror of the original, and his touch is evident in many of the scenes. It's certainly the most tense and eerie film since the the original. In terms of storyline, things are extremely well planned out. The general idea behind the Alien race and its origins is equally superb and ambiguous and horrifying.
    The film falls down a little in it's execution. Things get a little confusing at times (it wasn't until I read other reviews that I fully understood the complete idea behind the plot) and it takes nearly an hour to really get going. What is pleasing is that an enormous amount of visual attention to detail has been paid to the film - so much so that to fans of the original film (like myself), this does feel like a proper prequel.

In terms of the actors and their characters, it's all pretty much par for the course in terms of Alien films. Strong female lead, slightly dodgy droid, corrupt bloke, nice man who female lead falls for but dies. You get the picture. There's nothing one truly memorable about the characters, which is a pity considering that the acting is generally of a high standard.

Overall, a welcome, well thought out and generally good addition to the series that will certainly please fans. Welcome back Ridley Scott....
  7. Jun 10, 2012
    Let's get this out of the way: Prometheus is not Alien. It's a very different beast. It's a movie with big ideas, big questions and big mysteries. The weakest aspects of the film are its poorly developed characters and some perplexing story beats. However, it features some gorgeous cinematography, good performances (including a brilliant turn by Fassbender as the android, David) and theLet's get this out of the way: Prometheus is not Alien. It's a very different beast. It's a movie with big ideas, big questions and big mysteries. The weakest aspects of the film are its poorly developed characters and some perplexing story beats. However, it features some gorgeous cinematography, good performances (including a brilliant turn by Fassbender as the android, David) and the courage to pose questions without spoon-feeding the audience all the answers. Prometheus is not Alien... and that's not a bad thing. Expand
  8. Jul 14, 2012
    This film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tackedThis film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tacked on at the beginning and given minimal followup rank right up there with "Ancient Aliens" started Thanksgiving. Expand
  9. Jun 9, 2012
    This a great film and a must see, the acting is top notch and the special effects are out of this world.
    Though it has confused me and left many unanswered questions in its rear view mirror.
    I think it would be better to have not seen Alien because this film will make less sense if you had. Don't to show spoilers so just don't go seeing this film and expecting for all the unanswered questions about the space jockey to be answered.
    It provides all the needed tension and all of the alien life (I do not mean the the alien from previous films) that a sci-fi film needs but it does not provide all the answers it should have.
    Though this does not mean you should not see it because this film is amazing just don't expect perfection. Anyway Michael Fassbender is reason enough to see this.
  10. Jun 8, 2012
    Well when Prometheus was announced some time ago I was more than a little excited, one because Alien is one of my all time favourite movies, and two Ridley Scott was directing. All these added together was more than enough to send my anticipation into a frenzy, then the first trailer came out. Oh my lord, that was it, I had to see this film at all costs.

Then something happened, another

Then something happened, another trailer was released, then another, then another. Then viral videos, then behind the scenes stuff, then more trailers. Then I kinda guessed the storyline and the outcome of the film, and now I've seen it, I was by and large correct. The marketing over load on this film, may have been overkill. Such a shame because the teaser trailer was so promising, but I did still go and watch it and I did still enjoy the film despite guessing the storyline.

Without giving too much away the film is set a few years before the original Alien film and explores the origin of mankind to the far reaches of space, but what they found may not be what they were expecting. One thing that did baffle me slightly was the technology used in the film, it made the future technology seem redundant, as the past seems far better equipped than the future, odd. But then this is both a positive and a negative, the positive being the film looks absolutely stunning, the set pieces are beautiful and detailed, the CGI is fabulous and photo realistic and virtually everything - down to the nearest speck of dust - looks good.

The cast is a nice mix, but character development is missing on most of the crew. The vast majority of them are totally forgettable, so you feel very little for them, something that is usually fatal in a "horror" film. But the main guys are great in their roles; Noomi Repace is well cast, though not a scratch on the Ellen Ripley character. Charlize Theron is fine in her cold commanding officer role, but is totally under utilised. But Michael Fassbender is on terrific form and completely steals the show, as the synthetic David.

Where my main issue with Prometheus lies is in its similarity with Alien, its more of remake than a prequel in a way. Thats not to say its exactly the same as Alien, but it feels oddly familiar and strangely lacking in originality despite trying its best to be original. The idea of the crew of Prometheus searching for mankind is very interesting, but in the end comes off as redundant and kinda lame. It tries to steer the film down a certain path, but it comes off more as ridiculous than ingenious. In the end you know what's going to happen which is another problem, and there is no real payoff at the end of the film. Not only that the film seriously lacks scares, the music is too loud and in your face. There is no gentle creeping and no silence to keep you on edge. The film therefore comes across more as a bad action film, than a good horror.

The trouble is Prometheus tried to distance itself from Alien and in doing so made itself less believable and predictable. But in a weird way I did like how they did it, could it have been better, hell yes, but did I ultimately enjoy the film, hell yes.

Prometheus isn't the masterpiece it set out to be. Its not as creepy and horrific as Alien and not as thrilling as Aliens, though it does have its own merits away from the franchise. If a sequel is made I won't be queueing round the block to see it, but I do want to come back for more. So despite a bit of mixed bag, I would still highly recommend Prometheus.
  11. Oct 15, 2012
    Lots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engagingLots of "0" scores here, pretty sure that folks are being honest about how they feel about this movie, so I'll leave it at that. I couldn't disagree more with them. Prometheus takes place in the "Alien" universe and tries to add substance to it and kind of answer hanging questions from the original Alien that have been around for a few decades. An amazing looking movie with an engaging plot that will appeal, I think, to movie goers who appreciate a little more sophistication to a plot. Are you an adult who enjoys Kevin Smith movies? Or are you into Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games, or any young-adult-book-turned-into-a-movie franchise? If so, this movie probably won't be your sort of thing. The themes are different and require a different mindset. Everyone else; you must see it. An amazing ending that reminds me a bit of the end to The Empire Strikes, I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel. An achievement of the genre. If I could rate it higher, I would Expand
  12. Jun 10, 2012
    Wow! Oh, wow. I just returned from the theater and I think my head is still in outer space. No kidding, the special effects and sound in this movie are ramped up to such intensity, it will take you a while to adjust after the first time you see it, too. Hang on to your popcorn. You're in for a ride.

This movie deals with the theme that life may have come from other planets. Was it benevolent? Was it intelligent? Did it have the potential for peace or death? The answer may be, all of the above. A group of humans and an android take a massive craft to the site of a possible civilization. They are out to see whether it was the source of human culture. They are so optimistic, in fact, that notions of potential difficulties don't stop them. Soon they're on the planet, and searching through what seems to be an inhabited mountain. Is anything still down there? The viewer familiar with the rest of the Alien series will recognize the wry nods to the characters down the road. There is the smart-aleck humanoid robot, the eager explorers, and those who are skeptical of the whole thing. I won't tell you too much, since this is one of those stories that's so elaborate, and has such momentum, you really have to see it for yourself. Although I was frustrated by some of the plot twists, of which some are explained and others just aren't, it's clear that this film is a complex, supercharged thrill ride. Fans of science fiction will be agog with happiness over the dark storyline and the special effects. Those who like horror will understand the relentless fear that follows you all through the film. If the entire movie feels as if you are scurrying down a tunnel, it's because much of the time, you are. Good versus evil is always a worthwhile theme. In this movie, although it's not always clear what constitutes winning or losing, the battle is a heck of a thing to watch.
  13. Jun 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Very , very, very dissapointing. Yes it looked amazing for the most part and maybe the plot makes sense if you dissect everything and analyse it, but I doubt it. I really wanted to like this movie due to its connection with the Alien universe but it just didnt engage me at all. I love the way the Captain figured everything out all of a sudden and without a second thought decided to commit suicide along with the remainder of his crew. WTF. Expand
  14. Jun 9, 2012
    If you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. OneIf you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. One character's makeup was very questionable. One scene was questionable, but could be reasoned. I want to watch it again. Expand
  15. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I haven't watched any previous alien films apart from Alien Vs Predator but this was pretty scary for me. Although it felt like it was lacking at least 45 minutes worth of extra footage, there were so many times where I was so confused. For example, you expected to stay with the two men in the tomb for a lot longer instead of skipping back to the ship and watching a head explode. And then magically one of the men somehow becomes like a zombie later in the film which to be honest has no explanation in the slightest. All in all I thought it was quite enjoyable but certainly lacking. Expand
  16. Jun 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this an Alien prequel? Of course it is, it has an alien in it and the space jockey and his ship. The film is really nice to look at particularly the opening sequence, the visuals are most of the reason i have scored the film a 7. Some have been puzzled by this sequence but my take is that the guy disagrees withth the rest of his race to kill humans so he kills himself. As many have said there are plenty of holes in the plot and the film asks more questions than it answers, you may like me leave the cinema scratching your head. This view has been countered with many saying the plot holes are part of the appeal and that this may have been deliberate. I couldnt disagree more, why pay good money to be confused or have your questions unanswered? The part where Fifield returns as some mutation is plain silly, not explained and added nothing to the film in my opinion. This is an average film albeit presently excellently, other than the visuals i cant find anything particularly good to recommend about it. I cant anything particularly bad to say about it either. Expand
  17. Jul 15, 2012
    I had to make an account here when I saw all the negative reviews. To really understand the movie's subtle plot points, you have to be a fan of the Alien film series. First, the scientists taking off their helmets: these guys have just discovered the people who created them. They are really not thinking rationally, they just want to get answers, no matter the cost.
    The guy petting the
    The guy petting the alien snake: he was seriously stoned at the time. Seriously, he was smoking weed in his suit mere minutes before.
    The pod being designed for males: it was built specifically for Weyland. Putting it in Vickers' room was a cover.
    Shaw running minutes after surgery: it is clearly shown that she is in great pain while doing this, but she is managing to power through because she knows that if she doesn't , everything will go to hell. Add in that medical technology has significantly advanced in the future, and it makes sense.
    Vickers running forward from the ship instead of left or right: well, OK, that was a stupid move.
    Finally, the connection to Alien: the ships in the film were the same model, but not the same ship. The ship in Prometheus was carrying canisters of a black fluid to be used as a biological weapon. The fluid, when ingested, causes two things: it affects the host's mind and body negatively, and it causes a larva called a Trilobite to form. Dr. Holloway ingested the fluid, and while he was having sex with Shaw, the larva transferred itself from Holloway to Shaw. Shaw removes the Trilobite with the pod, and decontaminates it, putting it into a state of paralysis that she mistakes for death. Meanwhile, it grows to a huge size because it was designed to, being the product of a bioweapon. Once Shaw and the Engineer came to the shuttle it was trapped in, it broke out and facehugged the Engineer; the Trilobite is the ancestor of the Facehuggers. Once the Proto-Xenomorph bursts out (it looks different because it came from an Engineer), it presumably goes on to become the first Queen, spawning new Xenomorphs. This probably gained the attention of the other Engineers, who collected a bunch of eggs and put them in a ship to use as weapons. One of the eggs hatched, all hell broke loose, the ship crashed, and then the Nostromo found it in Alien.
    See, it makes sense if you use your brain a bit.
  18. Oct 24, 2012
    Prometheus is a bit wobbly and rushed at times (mainly the end) but the acting, direction and effects make up for it. The script is also a bit dodgy at times, as it's very un-technical for a sc-fi epic film.
  19. Sep 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I did not know, until I was in the theater and saw it unfold before me, that Prometheus is a prequel to Alien. Somehow that part of the marketing scheme didn't reach me. I thought, oh, that's strange. Ridley Scott is making another space movie that looks remarkably similar to Alien, and he's even using the same lettering. He must be desperate. Oops. My bad. It's a prequel. But it's also not. You see, Prometheus takes place in the same universe as Alien, before the events in Alien. It heavily references Alien, and its main plot is related to an alien race that is encountered in Alien, but not the chest-popping dude with the cool second jaw. That's where it strays from prequel status: Ridley Scott is attempting to develop an original story here, only very loosely related to Alien.

It is the story of human beginnings, one of the most enticing questions in the history of the world. It is not a true story, of course; don't be fooled by the really cool special effects. It is a story that, at the end of Prometheus, is not over. Scott has announced that he intended from the beginning for this to be a series, and not a standalone film. We do not yet know how many sequels there will be, but I am expecting at least one.

I liked it, more than I thought I would. I am usually a fan of Ridley Scott, as Gladiator and Alien are two of my favorite films, so I suppose I should not be surprised. If there is a sequel, will I see it? Yes, of course. There are some things about this movie that are really far-fetched, and other things that are definitely not possible with any sort of technology. So that's weird. But for the most part, the story drew me in and kept me interested. The acting held up, and the visuals were really cool. There isn't much to say for character development or hidden themes, though. It's just a story. Enjoy it for what it is, and don't expect it to stack up to Alien.

A lot of the reviewers on IMDb really hate this movie. I think they must have been expecting something as good as Alien, so they were pissed off at what they got. But it's not a bad movie, folks. I don't need to tell you that the haters are full of **** judging by the fact that most of them gave the movie a 1/10, which is unreal - I mean come on.

I'm a little disappointed by Charlize Theron in her role, which surprises me, but I'll blame it on her character. I don't feel that Meredith Vickers has a lot of depth, and her little twist is really obvious. I just think she's weird. Michael Fassbender, though... let's talk about him. This guy greatly impressed me in Inglourious Basterds, but his role was so minor that he didn't have a chance to really shine. Now he plays David, the android, in Prometheus, and it's nothing short of splendid. His sparkle is somehow very artificial, his body language just slightly inhuman. He provides the appearance of possessing superhuman intelligence, and the look in his eyes is one of incredible cunning, but also great curiosity, especially toward living things. This is certainly the most compelling depiction of an android yet, and much more impressive than [I won't spoil the surprise] in Alien or Lance Henriksen in Aliens (or, of course, Arnold in Terminator). In the defense of those Alien(s) guys, though, Fassbender's character is much more prominent in the story of Prometheus.

I also feel that Noomi Rapace does a great job in her lead role; she manages not to allow Fassbender to eclipse her, which is impressive. Her performance is very believable, even if some of her character's actions are far-fetched (more on that in the viewers-only section). The rest of the cast is primarily unknown, but they make a relatively good ensemble. I could do without the goofy guys that get lost, but I can't fault the actors for that; they do their job well. I will note that Idris Elba, who plays the ship's captain in this film, is better known to some of us as Stringer Bell from HBO's The Wire. For those of you who don't know, Stringer is one of the most enthralling characters I have ever seen in film or television, and Elba is absolutely amazing in that role. Since that time, I have seen him in a couple of minor roles, including this one, and I personally wish he had quit acting after The Wire. While his performances are nowhere near poor, I cannot help but think of him as Stringer Bell.

For a much more lengthy and in-depth review, see my blog at kofdrops.blogspot.com.
  20. Nov 3, 2012
    The special effects are great, the scenery and photography is lovely but the film is as a whole a big disappointment. You would have thought that with such a budget they could have hired some guy to make a basic sanity check of the script but obviously that wasn
  21. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus brings the world's greatest science fiction mystery thrilling flim about a journey hunt to to the human race of life. Here are the reasons why I would support to be interested in this movie. Ok first I like say that I liked the thrilling sequences during the movie. Second is that casts In this movie are pretty cool. Some of the cast I know such as noomi rapace, Michael fassbender, and idris Elba. Third is that it has awesome sound, and visual effects sequences in this movie. About this movie, there's something I notice about this movie. I notice is that this is the event that happened before alien begins. So I would say this is that this a pretty cool science fiction film, however there were some scenes that may have frighten audiences under 12 years old. So I would recommend is that Ridley Scott made event made science fiction film for the events happened before alien. So that's the reasons I would say about Prometheus Expand
  22. Jun 10, 2012
    PROMETHEUS: feh to meh. Kinda turgid. Doesn't know what it wants to be, as though plot strands ended up on the cutting room floor. Meandering, no real suspense save for one scene. With few exceptions, pretty lackluster performances, though the actors need to be extended some credit for being saddled with lame, underwritten characters. And why dress Guy Pearce up in freshman year old manPROMETHEUS: feh to meh. Kinda turgid. Doesn't know what it wants to be, as though plot strands ended up on the cutting room floor. Meandering, no real suspense save for one scene. With few exceptions, pretty lackluster performances, though the actors need to be extended some credit for being saddled with lame, underwritten characters. And why dress Guy Pearce up in freshman year old man makeup when you could get, like, a real old man?? Pretty awful, imho. (Upon reflection, obviously there must have been footage of a young Guy Pearce that didn't make the final print. Even more laziness; my g.f. and I sat there the entire time thinking "why is this guy MADE UP??") Good to know: $200+ million and you can still suck. Expand
  23. Jun 9, 2012
    Too much world not enough characters. The people on the ship were so faceless, I didn't care when they started dying. I had no idea who they were when they started saying names. it felt so flat and average.
  24. Jun 10, 2012
    Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is,Yes, this movie has flaws, but that doesn't escape the fact that I just can't get the darn thing out of my head. It's not the flaws, such as some plot holes and lack of character development, that are sticking with me. It's the beauty and the outright audacity of the film. It's the kind of sci-fi no one makes anymore, in that it actually has something to say. What that "something" is is, like the best sci-fi, left up to interpretation. This film does not pander and has no easy answers, and that can sometimes be frustrating. But I applaud it nonetheless. Even if you wind up disappointed, there will definitely be something here that will stick out as memorable, even if it is just the visuals. Expand
  25. Jun 11, 2012
    Ridley Scott essentially remade "Alien," this time without the suspense or intelligence. I could list off the top of my head 10 unnecessary plot elements, most of which are rendered poorly. While the visuals are, at times, striking, the movie was, overall, a crushing disappointment.
  26. Jun 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It had some pretty effects and sweeping shots, I'll give it that much. I also rather liked Fassbender's robot character, but everyone else felt pretty hollow and consistently acted like idiots. Did not like the aliens or the plot at all. The aliens are just another boring, monolithic evil trying to destroy humans. And on top of this tired old trope they've piled up mystery upon mystery that never get resolved. Disjointed, non-sensical, and with zero payoff at the end. Expand
  27. Jun 9, 2012
    There are no mind boggling horrors or astonishing new concepts presented in this prequel to Alien. But it does fill in the blanks on the "space jockey" and provides some really wonderful vistas of space exploration.
    The story and acting are no better than average yet it still managed to entertain a lifelong scifi fan like me. For viewers without a soft spot for the genre, the film will be a disappointment.
  28. Jun 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. PART 1 OF 2 (Due to space limitations)

I'm reproducing a review here written on darkhorizons.com from Weyland Smithers, who puts it all far better than I ever could:

"Prometheus is a hilarious comedy in the tradition of "Spaceballs" and "Men in Black" about a motley crew of forgetful, scaredy-cat scientists who go into space and try to find their alien creator. They find maps in caves that are their invitation, but this turns out to be a hilarious trick, like a mousetrap for retards.

The first scene is a giant, german-looking albino steroid guy who drinks some coffee out of an ashtray and gets sick and falls in the waterfall. Special effects reveal that he has little, tiny ladders in his blood called D&A. This guy looks like a member of the Blue Man Group, except White. There is a UFO flying overhead that is never seen or mentioned ever again in the movie. Just one of the many pranks that the writers and director have put in the movie to trick you with.

Next we meet these two very forgetful and silly scientists and they get to go into space on a beautiful ship. It is taken care of by a gay robot who does stuff like dye his hair and dress up like Robocop with a colander on his head to entertain himself. If C3PO had a human face, he would be this guy. All of the silly bungling scientists wake up from hyper-sleep in time to watch a hilarious hologram of a guy in an "old man" mask that looks like the Emperor from Return of the Jedi. I think he is wearing the old guy mask to get some laughs from the wacky scientists, but no one notices it. There is another funny guy with unconventional hair and tattoos who is really mean to everyone - that's so true! Guys that look like that are always dicks!

The spaceship starts to land on the planet, and as luck would have it, lands exactly near the alien castle on the very first try without even looking around too much - another hilarious example of serendipity! These guys are so lucky and fun to watch! The crazy scientists go into the alien castle and two of the guys get so scared that they decide to go back to the ship and get lost, even though they have flying superballs that make 3D maps of everything. Those two bungling doofuses! They are like "Dumb & Dumber" or "Abott & Costello". The rest of the gang finds more poisonous coffee and somehow the gay robot steals a whole pot of it without anyone noticing. He's such a Sneaky-Pete!

Everyone has to go back to the ship at the last minute because the Captian pranks them and waits until a violent storm is nearby before telling them about it! Haha! This guy is great! The two bungling idiot scientists get stuck in the castle and decide to goof-off all night. They try to pet a space cobra that lives in the poisonous coffee, but it kills them, which I think is what ALL cobras wish to do, space or no. Meanwhile, back on the ship, the gay robot does a HILARIOUS prank on the whiny scientist who wears a hipster scarf. He puts a little poisonous coffee in this jerk's drink and gives him pink eye and diarrhea (probably). Haha! That's like a whoopee cushion x100! Luckily the scientist has enough health left to hump his forgetful girlfriend one last time before he is all the way super-sick from the bad coffee. As one last prank to his fellow scientists, he suits up and goes back to the castle with them, even though he secretly knows he is very, very sick. Haha. What an inconvenience to the rest of the group - the ulimate prank!

The mean lady burns him later. The forgetful scientist gets pregnant with a white octopus and has to take it out using Michael Jackson's special oxygen bed. Now here is where the movie gets really hialrious, because she TOTALLY forgets that the alien squid is in there and just leaves to go do some errands! HAHAHA! It turns out that the funny guy in the old man mask is really hiding on the ship and he does some funny slapstick "old man walking" with a cane! I love it!

(CONTINUED!)
  29. Apr 10, 2013
    Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
  30. Jul 20, 2012
    Production values do not make a film, as this facet is a given in high budget movies. Adequate actors do not make a film excellent if the script is good - in this case, mediocre- and screenplay is interesting premise - good development - drawn out - rushed ending - great cliffhanger. Allusions to stand alone classics and mythology do not make a film if they do little to nothing inProduction values do not make a film, as this facet is a given in high budget movies. Adequate actors do not make a film excellent if the script is good - in this case, mediocre- and screenplay is interesting premise - good development - drawn out - rushed ending - great cliffhanger. Allusions to stand alone classics and mythology do not make a film if they do little to nothing in contribution to the film in its entirety.

People have lauded this film as if it is some avant-garde, incredible work of art for in the least its name being a reference to the Greek myth where Man is made, given the ability to make fire, metaphysical overtones, and the obvious reference to the story of the birth of Christ does little to actually help the film. If anything, these allusions are made to make the film seem deeper than it is. Again, the premise is the best part, and while I was enjoying it so much as I am a huge fan of science fiction, there came a time in the film when I was struggling to come up with warrants to justify why the film was good. I am capable to logic and reasoning- people complain at how analytical I am at times - yet, hopefully not to sound cyclical, it was when the film started to drag on that I, in retrospect, should have walked out. I have never walked out on a film before (except for the second installment of Lord of the Rings, due to the fact I couldn't stand the directing). At least I got to watch that movie for free. I regret having spent $9 to see this movie. It had some good scenes though and I know not to watch this as if it is an Alien film, but treat it more like a separate sci fi film (given the ending, t is impossible to - I will say no more).

To describe this film, only word word is required. Terrible.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.