6.5

1. Oct 17, 2014
    Prometheus my raise more questions then answers, however this is the best si-fi we have had sense Alien, it delivers on all cylinders. The excellent story, script and top acting, will satisfying majority of Alien Fans. Although its not the expected action packed movie we are now use to, it provides the views with more variety and complexity. Prometheus is one of the best prequels I have personally seen, and I cannot wait for the sequel! Expand
  2. Oct 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the greatest science fiction films of all time that deals with the most important themes such as our origins, how did we get here, who created us, the search for eternal life, archaeological messaging, the danger of making contact with extra-terrestrial, a future threat to our existence, the use of an alien species as weapons of mass destruction, human emotions v computer logic...and the list goes on.

I'm actually dumbfounded by the poor reviews this has received and suspect many just don't get it. Absolutely cant wait for the sequel.
  3. Sep 6, 2014
    Prometheus is Ridley Scott's prequel to Alien.This movie has outstanding visuals, more science fiction than the original movies regarding to the creatures, more mystery and really good performances.
  4. Sep 3, 2014
    Essentially out of the Alien-storybook, Prometheus is a moving discovery of life beyond Earth. There is no shortage of suspense and story--Prometheus is enthralling.
  5. Sep 2, 2014
    "Prometheus" is a flawed yet entertaining film. It has great acting, beautiful cinematography, and quite a bit of suspense, but the characters are pretty stupid, and some plot points have been used in previous genre efforts. The tension, pacing, entertainment value, and overall look and feel of the movie mostly make up for its flaws. I recommend this to fans of the "Alien" franchise and just people who like science fiction. Expand
  6. Jul 28, 2014
    Heading into this one, I heard a ton of differing opinions, but at the end of the day, I came away from this one with a positive take. The cinematography and special effects are undoubtedly the star of this film and are breathtaking to look at, each shot is achingly beautiful, and the tech gadgets are very cool and the other effects very well done. In addition, Ridley Scott's direction is good, as expected. The acting from Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, and Idris Elba, is very good, especially Fassbender. I did not love Noomi Rapace here and was left wondering how they could not have found somebody better for the role. The main complaint I had heard about this one beforehand was the script, but I personally have no complaints and thought it was just fine. Unoriginal, sure, and heavily inspired by the sci-fi films before it without question, but I did not come here expecting an original sci-fi project, now did I. At the end of the day, I came for thrills and great special effects and that is exactly what I got with a little bonus of great cinematography and acting. Only complaint would be the added religious (or non-religious?) element. I think the story could have been approached differently without inserting religion at every turn. Prometheus is far from a great film, but I will be damned if it is not an entertaining and satisfying prequel to Alien. Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2014
    Prometheus is no where near as good as it should have been, but is reasonably entertaining due to the incredible special effects, and the magnetic performance delivered from Michael Fassbender.
  8. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus brings the world's greatest science fiction mystery thrilling flim about a journey hunt to to the human race of life. Here are the reasons why I would support to be interested in this movie. Ok first I like say that I liked the thrilling sequences during the movie. Second is that casts In this movie are pretty cool. Some of the cast I know such as noomi rapace, Michael fassbender, and idris Elba. Third is that it has awesome sound, and visual effects sequences in this movie. About this movie, there's something I notice about this movie. I notice is that this is the event that happened before alien begins. So I would say this is that this a pretty cool science fiction film, however there were some scenes that may have frighten audiences under 12 years old. So I would recommend is that Ridley Scott made event made science fiction film for the events happened before alien. So that's the reasons I would say about Prometheus Expand
  9. Jun 30, 2014
    Due to the hype surrounding the film prior to release, and my love of Alien and Aliens, my expectations before viewing the film were very high. Looking back, I could only ever have been disappointed. And after my initial viewing I was exactly that. However, over the last two years I've found myself watching it again and again and again. And now, with all the hype and preconceived ideas out of the way, I actually see Prometheus for what it is; a decent sci-fi action/thriller. Try to put aside your, in truth, unobtainable ideals about what an "Alien" film should be, and enjoy Prometheus in all its CGI high-def glory. Expand
  10. Jun 18, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's strange... I came away from the cinema unable to contain my upset at the way prometheus teased its plotline through scenes of horror action topped by the aliens fan in me nagging on the fact scott didn't just cast lance henrikson to reprise his role as weyland and make it all canon to the other films.
    Yet on a later viewing I found myself looking past such filmic foibles able instead to enjoy the wonder of artwork going on and appreciating its pace, timing and its finer details like the wonderful creature effects (mainly the translucent engineer skin wow). Still complete sequel bait asking and answering very little about its universe (apart from the engineers revealed as malevolent weapons manufacturers rather than space zoo keepers as i'd originally hoped).
    Fact is I still find myself imagining this universe all over again and that gives me naive hope for the next movie. 9/10
  11. Jun 16, 2014
    Honestly i expected a lot more from this prequel, mainly because it hardly has anything to do with Alien, except for the ship with concave wings, exactly like what crew members of Nostromo witnessed when they landed in LV-426 for the first time. Prometheus is not a horror movie, it is just a sci-fi one with little moments of horror, which disappoints me whenever i think about Alien - a classic horror work-of-art associated with Ridley Scott's visually striking directorial style. Instead of telling a story of how colonizers of the planet accidentally created Xenomorph during some experiments, and, as a result, got massacred by the blood-thirsty creature that they couldn't control just as i thought it would be, Ridley Scott invented an even stranger kind, known as the ENGINEERS, who are thought to create mankind, and this makes the film scattered and unfocused as there are as many as two species left for discovery. It came as no surprise to me that this 2-hour long sci-fi film failed to answer all the big questions raised by both fans and critics of Alien, so i score this movie 5 only thanks to Michael Fassbender's performance as a robot and visually impressive depiction of the ship Prometheus Expand
  12. Jun 3, 2014
    For a summer blockbuster film, "Prometheus" asks surprisingly exciting and intriguing questions about human existence. It doesn't give us any answers which is a little disappointing, but the film still rocks; I don't know anything about 2D, but in 3D, this film looked fabulous in its gripping atmosphere and stunning CGI.
  13. Apr 4, 2014
    Wow this is depressing....6.5? really? Is the general populace really this stupid? This movie requires you to actually think a little. The very first scene of the movie is key. It's a 1 minute scene followed by the most gorgeous 1080p visuals I have ever seen on an BD. If you don't understand what that scene was about, then you obviously don't deserve to review the movie (watch the deleted scenes if you can't figure it out). I get why people are disappointed or mad about this movie. It has little to nothing to do with the actual aliens franchise. It's not trying to bridge gaps in the aliens movies. The movie is a separate entry that happens to take place in the aliens universe. The entire story revolves around a single question: How and why were we created?

Now notice that such a question has nothing to do with the 4 previous alien movies. I think this movie is a masterpiece. I don't hand out 10's to offset other people's scores. The movie deserves the 10 I give it here today. It is a visual marvel. The actors, all no name actors, just blew everyone away and made a name for themselves with this movie (the lead characters in particular did legendary jobs).
    I don't know what else to say to convince you that this movie is a work of art. Everyone should give the movie a chance. If you don't understand it....you don't understand it. If you don't understand it...you might not like it. You have to think. You have to draw your own conclusions some places....the movie doesn't give you all the answers. Thus my original question: Is the general populace really this stupid?
  14. Mar 31, 2014
    Better than literalists give it, worse than the devouts give it credit for, Prometheus is not without it flaws in plot and not without it's triumphs in cinematography and strong acting from Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender, and due to the ending, lends promise to an adequate follow-up.
  15. Feb 25, 2014
    I wanted to like this movie and I was excited to finally see it when it made it to DVD. I'm sorry but I was bored and frustrated by the story. It dragged along as the characters (supposed geniuses from their fields) did the stupidest things you can think of. I don't know what else to say about other than I personally thought it was terrible.
  16. Feb 8, 2014
    "Prometheus" was a gripping movie experience for me. It had grim, but beautiful visuals, great use and combination of CGI and 3D, sharply directed action scenes and above everything else, a story that asks unanswered questions about human existence. Sure, the ending probably didn't deserve an A+, but as a whole, "Prometheus" was still pretty awesome.
  17. Jan 28, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terrible movie/script in almost all ways;

* Stupid chars that make stupid decisions.
    * Quasi-religious and pretentious. ("It's what i choose to belive"...c'mon?!)
    * Science gets raped.(i.e the FACT of Evolution)
    * Logic and reason is nowhere.
    * An insult to the Alien-universe. Even AVP is more enjoyable.
    * Boring and in no way suspenseful
    * Not one bit as "profound" that some ppl seems to think.
    * Auto C-section scene; probably one of the most non-intentionally funniest scenes ever.
    * Giant squid facehuggers, "Space jockey smash!", terrible Xenomorph, The ol' run in a straight line death-scene..........
    I could go on and on...

I mean WTH R.Scott?
    This tripe is such an insult to my senses and intelligence. 120 million dollars down the drain. GG
  18. Jan 15, 2014
    This movie was ok, but I thought it was going to be better. The producers make the movie preview look good, but when you see the movie it's not as good as you thought it would be. Prometheus doesn't look rated R; it should be PG-13. I'm giving it a mixed review because thriller is my favourite movie genre and I like the title. The movie was a little interesting, even though it had myself questioning some parts. The movie has this unique atmosphere. This movie is worth watching. Synopsis: Scientists visit a planet and discover a species that is quite similar to humans. However, it's not always what it seems like... Expand
  19. Jan 11, 2014
    This unfortunate movie was marketed as the prequel to his 1978 film Alien, when in fact it is nothing short of a slightly related disaster. The only positive parts of the film were Michael Fassbender’s ‘If-I-Were-A-Real-Boy’ robot character David, the cinematography and the special effects (I believed that vagina monster was coming for me, I really did).
  20. Jan 2, 2014
    Science Fiction or Faith?

At the end of the movie I was a bit confused about this movie leaving unanswered questions. But after thinking about it for some time and few discussions some were answered and I am hoping rest will be answered in the potential sequel as told by director Scott. I haven't seen 'Alien' the film which 'Prometheus' is supposed to be prequel to yet, so my review is
    treating Prometheus independently. I am ardent science-fiction fan and the plot of based on the questions like "Did someone design humans?", "Where do we go after death?", "Why there is life?", etc. which ponder in my mind everyday generated great excitement and expectations from this film but at the end was slightly disappointed by answers. Leaving where the story ends up aside Prometheus has outstanding visuals with slick cinematography, good performance by Michael Fassbender as a robot(who plays a key role) and generates enough suspense/thrills to entertain and thus receives a positive response from me. Just don't have too high expectations then you will like this film. Expand
  21. Dec 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked the Alien movies, especially the one by Ridley Scott but this one is just bad. This visuals are good so gave a 2/10 rating. There are two main flaws which ruin the movie completely.

The first: Why is everyone acting like a complete idiot? Sometimes it's just painful to be confronted with such stupidity while watching. Hey, there is a maybe hostile alien life form. Let's touch it! Hey, we got this 2000 year old alien head. Let's investigate it in the least scientific way possible and blow it up with some kind of electro shock device. WTF?

The 2nd: The logical issues in the plot and the unanswered questions.
    Why do apes and humans similar DNA?
    Why were the engineers planning to destroy humanity?
    What are David's motives?
    Why was the old guy hiding?
    The list goes on.

I mean, has anyone read the script before making the movie?
    And why didn't they chose a younger actor for the old guy? Making younger people old in movies never looks realistic.

I'm a big fan of science fiction movies. There are a lot of mediocre movies which are at least for me still likeable but this one is not.
  22. Dec 14, 2013
    Even if it isn't original, Prometheus has jaw dropping visuals and a surprisingly great storyline. Couple that with top notch acting and a tense atmosphere, what you will get is a great sci-fi/horror flick.
  23. Dec 9, 2013
    Prometheus' visuals are absolutely stunning. The often mentioned plot holes in Prometheus can be explained away if you're willing to dig deep enough-and for me- certainly didn't detract from the film in anyway.
  24. Dec 8, 2013
    Not a bad movie but yes couldn't live up it's hype. Movie is slow, not the alien sci-fi with mindless action type. It even looks like some fictional Discovery show for most of the time but it's a good movie, definitely worth your money.
  25. Dec 5, 2013
    This is a really great movie simpliy put and if you have half a brain and use it to think you won't have a problem understanding this movie at all.....
  26. Nov 23, 2013
    This movie was a ok sci fi movie. It was a TERRIBLE alien sequel. The charecters were uninteresting, made bad decisions (by horror movie standards, no weapons on an alien planet? Come on) and had mediocre dialogue. The movie wasn't scary, had plot holes, and no aliens alien in it until the end. Only see this if their is nothing better on tv.
  27. Nov 21, 2013
    Great film in my opinion, the only way my opinion will change is if the follow ups don't link it properly to the original story line.
    Visually stunning, well written not perfect, but nothing is and well executed in general.
    I loved the original Alien film, liked the other films too. I don't understand what people's problem with Prometheus was. Among the plot holes suggested was them
    sending stupid scientists personally I thought that the fact that they were hand picked by a multi-billionaire who was quite clearly as mad as a badger explained that quite nicely. Expand
  28. Nov 7, 2013
    A year old now and I still have nightmares and sweats at how spectacularly bad this film is. I hate you now Ridley. Anyone giving this film more than 3 needs a lobotomy. Or they enjoy Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.
  29. Oct 27, 2013
    This movie is actually awful. As far a sci-fi and/or horror are concerned. The characters are so stupid as to fill the movie with plot holes, its attempts at being deep are total shots in the dark, and I guess it's supposed to be a really visually appealing movie but nothing the high budget special effects were showing were actually that interesting.
  30. Oct 6, 2013
    Despite its clear imperfections, I liked Prometheus. Visually stunning and with a great performance from Michael Fassbender, there is a certain something that sets Prometheus apart from other films of the genre. It is profound, ambitious, and fascinating, but suffers from poor decision-making on part of the writers.
  31. Sep 26, 2013
    I write this perfect-scored review knowing that it probably won't mean anything amongst the massively divided sea of critical opinion but I feel I must share my truly honest opinion. I have been a hardcore Alien fan for ages, as well as a serious devotee to Ridley Scott, so needless to say I was one of the countless swept up in the hype-hurricane surrounding this films development.
    I
    guess what sets me apart from most is that I witnessed a film that actually exceeded my pipe-dream level expectations.
    I'll admit that I was skeptical if ANY film could potentially rival the utter brilliance of the 1979 masterpiece. What I was not prepared for was a film that not only did the original perfect justice but proved that it could be redefined.
  32. Sep 25, 2013
    This is by far the biggest let-down I have ever had the displeasure to watch half of in the local cinema. The special effects were good, but the story line was near non-existant. The robot guy ended up killing people and god knows why, everyone has different theories, but the only thing that keeps this pile of trash afloat is the visual detail and suspense. Suspense for what? What's going on? Oh my god my head hurts from trying to work out what the bloody hell's going on. Dad and I ended up waiting outside while mum watched the rest, and we preferred standing out underdressed at near-freezing temperatures among drunks from the local tavern joking about how godawful the film was than sticking it out watching the rest of that pile of crap. Expand
  33. Sep 20, 2013
    We are "scientists".

The cartoon parody of this film actually highlights rather well the problems surrounding this movie. I'll start with some positives, though. The cinematography is excellent beautifully shot and edited. The underlying musical score is outstanding. It combines to take you back to a more classical style of film making of now household names in the science fiction
    genre, like The Abyss. Michael Fassbender's performance of the android David was stellar, very rich and nuanced, despite the fact he was essentially playing an automaton. Also of note are Noomi Rapace, Idris Elba and Charlize Theron.

I think this movie's main problem is that it suffers from an identity crisis. It has absolutely no idea what kind of film it wants to be. Some trailers advertised it as an action-adventure, a'la Aliens. Others advertised it as something more horrific, a'la Alien. Then other trailers advertised it as a deep philosophical examination of the "big questions" that Humanity tackles, a'la Blade Runner. Looking at the interviews, even the actors didn't seem to know what this film was. Was it an Alien prequel? Was it a stand alone film? Was it a prequel in the sense it just takes place before the original Alien? Nobody seemed to know. After watching the film, neither did the writers.

It feels like a mash of ideas rather than a coherent story. In places it wants to be scary and tense, akin to the original Alien. In other places it tries to be subtly philosophical, akin to Blade Runner. In other places it just wants to be a sci-fi action film, akin to Aliens. It can't seem to focus itself into telling its own story. The appearance of a proto-Alien at the end, as if this was the inevitable outcome of all the film's events, confirms this attitude that the film makers either simply could not or were unwilling to tell a story that did not have some connection to the original Alien somehow.

Admittedly I was not too confident upon hearing Damon Lindelof (of Lost infamy) was going to be writing the story and screenplay. Lindelof is one of those writers who can produce good ideas, but noticeably struggles to hammer them out into a coherent screenplay. The essence of the story is a $1 trillion dollar mission to find the origins of Humanity (which explains why all the "scientists" who are so gung-ho about their attitude they make the stereotypical redneck look like Einstein all signed up to this four year mission knowing precisely zero about it, as none of them were briefed until they arrived at their destination) based on extremely flimsy evidence (a few cave paintings of ancient Humans pointing to a pattern which happens to correspond to a star constellation). Ignoring the obvious problems with this (red shift, changes in star formations over time and so on), there is already a problem with this concept.

We later learn the place Humans were pointing to is simply a weapons research facility, where the Engineers (the aliens who engineered life on Earth again ignoring proven Darwinism) were creating a biological weapon, apparently to unleash against Humans some 2,000 years ago before their own weapons turned on their creators. So why direct Humans to this installation? If they were planning on destroying us when the Roman Empire was still at its height, it can't possibly have been to make Humans visit to test the weapon, or to undergo any other test, as its just a military base. Why go to all the trouble of influencing ancient cultures to this degree, if there is sweet F.A. of any significance at the intended destination? What were Humans supposed to do when they landed outside the Engineer's military outpost?

Then its a cue for plot cliches and things happening because the plot demands it, not because it is natural in any way. The biologist is scared he found the existence of alien life when stumbling across an Engineer carcass and runs away with the geologist, who despite mapping the structure and having a near-constant comms link to the ship manages to get lost (my god, even US soldiers nowadays have a dead reckoning navigation if their satellites go down), but then when the biologist comes across an obviously hostile alien snake, he wants to stick his face in it. Score one for character consistency.

David the android then contaminates Holloway's drink with a drop of the biological weapon, because he magically knows Holloway will have sex with Shaw, who will then give birth to an alien squid which will then impregnate an Engineer which will then give birth to a proto-Alien. Sure, he may have just been curious about its effects, but it all seems too convenient, just to force the Alien creature into the film in some way.

The reveal of Weyland being on board also did not need to be a secret. Weyland does not give two when he is discovered alive by Shaw, and his reason for being there is because he wants to ask the Engineers to grant him eternal life. Uh-huh. 5000 characters is not enough.
  34. Sep 12, 2013
    unexceptionable on the visual side, the script flaws of vanity. seems to be a continuous self-celebration exercise of their ability to develop complex plots full of historical, philosophical and moral implications. the result is an agglomeration too cryptic that float on the assumption for which spectators will search on google the story understanding. clearly this is the first part of the story with pros and cons. pros is that story can only improve and become more delineated, understandable and astonishing with the next episodes. cons is that you exit from the cinema with the unpleasant feeling of having seen a movie interrupted without know when (and if) there will be the next part and with a lot too much of question with no answer. Expand
  35. Sep 6, 2013
    Please make me unsee this. This is the worst movie ever, I almost puked when I see it. Nothing entertaining, just nothing. Failed action, failed horror. This movie tries to be priquel to Alien but failing hard in plot.
  36. Aug 24, 2013
    special effects and cgi are 10/10. unfortunately the rest is crap. The acting is mediocre, the plot is predictable. It starts off essentially as Ancient Aliens: The Movie. they find many cave paintings from across the world and are able to deduce from them that a certain planet may have life on it. By 20 minutes into the movie they are already on their way to said planet. Also, the themes are shoved down your throat. Challenging faith in God, challenging religion in general, etc. I'm not fans of films that completely lack subtlety in their approach to thematic elements. There are myriad ways to explore these themes other than very explicit dialogue from characters. Overall this movie is a 6/10. The CGI/SFX are top notch and I think it should have taken home the academy award for it. But everything else is just... forgettable. Expand
  37. Aug 18, 2013
    I should give this movie a zero. The only reason I give it not is that the visuals are great. Art designers clearly put a lot of care into that, and they deserve recognition. Ridley Scott, and the guys who developed the plot and the characters on the other hand should be ashamed of pissing all over the heads of the people who wanted to watch a good alien movie, or even a decent one.
    The
    only thing I could find likeable is the initial scene and the scene where the android is in the ship and everyone else is still sleeping. The rest is ruined by the really stupid characters who act like teenagers more than scientists. They become drunk because after the first 30 minutes of exploring the planet, they (believe) they find discouraging answers. Incidentally, there's never any proof or scientific evidence shown that their statements about the "engineers" are correct. And the nonsensical plot, where nothing is explained, nothing seems to be logical, and events seem to occur randomly. For instance, the attack of the geologist when he is in "zombie mode". I don't get what that scene brings. Pure ****
    I find this movie insulting. Seen it twice and every time is worse.
    On the other hand, I kind of like the design of the proto-alien in the very end. A pity that they don't explain a damn thing about why it comes to life. In the first and second alien movie there was a clear biological cycle. In here, there's just some magical black fluid which can either kill you, or turn you into a beast, or you can use it to inseminate your partner with a giant squid which then can implant an alien embryo in another being. Yeah, sure.
    Want some real alien, watch alien 1 or 2.
  38. Aug 10, 2013
    Prometheus has an interesting premise but ends up leaving way too many unanswered questions, which can be expected from a movie exploring how humans were created.

However that is not the biggest fault of the movie. The main character is dumb, irritating and annoying. She has very few good ideas (like, hey theres an alien inside me, I should get it out), sounds stupid and always wears a
    weird expression in her face (more bad acting than bad character in this case) and is just so unappealing that I wished her to die somewhere in the beginning of the movie.
    The ending seems like a sequel bait. Lame.
    Soundtrack is not fitting to the movie.
    CGI and special effects are great though.
    There are a few good scares and some violent scenes too. None of them are emotional though.
    If I would be asked to recommend this movie, I wouldnt.
  39. Jul 29, 2013
    epic cinematography beautiful but epically predictable no real scares so many unresolved plot holes .
    you will find rooting for the aliens by the end
  40. Jul 27, 2013
    Prometheus was good and entertaining. Although it does not live up to Ridley Scott's earlier films it is a engaging and decent sci-fi film. It wasn't anything spectacular but this film certainly does not deserve all the negative reviews it has gotten. Plain and simple it doesn't live up to the expectations of the audience but that does not outright make it a bad film.
  41. Jul 22, 2013
    Me encantan las peliculas de ciencia ficcion, ahora se relaciona con los origenes de Alien, tiene buenos efectos especiales, reparto etc...

Que no tiene sentido la historia? pues por eso se llama ciencia ficcion, no se pongan tan payasos..
  42. Jul 16, 2013
    Starting right off into the film Prometheus was definitely looking at being one hell of a movie, but right up until they land that ship on the alien world they also land the interest straight into a trash can. The only good thing I really took out of this movie were it's visual effects, which I have to say were pretty damn good, however that's all I feel this film offered me. The story was a little boring, not interesting at all, some of the acting in my personal opinion was a little dull, just the feel to the movie was basically a bit poop.

I'd say it's definitely something people should watch, but only as a rental. Then decide if you want to buy it or not.
  43. Jul 15, 2013
    A solid film and possibly one of my favourite Sci-Fi films out there. It's rather slow paced but certainly picks up when it needs to. Stand-out performance would have to be Michael Fassbender but Noomi Rapace is a strong female lead, and Charlize Theron is always spot on with playing a villain role. It held my interest throughout and had an interesting storyline and concept, and peaked at the right times. Overall pretty impressive stuff and those that like the genre won't be disappointed. Expand
  44. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, the good: I can't say I'm a big fan of 3D, but the cinematography in this film was outstanding and magnified by the 3D effect. The design, to most part, was also very impressive. And now on to the bad...
    What a very poor script. So much of the dialogue felt unnecessary, fake, or completely out of character. Naomi Rapace's Elisabeth Shaw does not convince at all. It's obvious that she is suppose to be some sort of a Ripley hard shoes to fill, seeing as Weaver's Ripley is probably one of the most iconic sci-fi female film characters of all time. Shaw just ends up a caricature of Ripley, and again this is mostly due to the lazy script. It was hard to sympathise with her in the beginning, and confusing as how she got to be who she was in the end.
    Other characters in the film were David, the android, superbly played by Michael Fassbender. There is a charming yet creepy quality about his character, who is detached yet at the same time curious. There is a feeling that emotion is there, just under the surface, and it's not all good.
    Charlize Theron plays cold, Vickers, the person "in charge". She is excellent in this role, which is, unfortunately, so limited, it seems like a waste of a good actress. The same can be said about almost everyone else in the film. So many times people seemed to appear in and out of the film, that you forgot they were of any significance. The only thing I remember about the 2 co-pilots of Prometheus was they had some kinda bet going on. Eldris Alba's captain Janek is initially portrayed as a man who cares about himself and having a good time (he leaves his post for a booty call, putting at risk other crew members) but then puts his life on the line just because someone tells him that otherwise the Earth is in danger (I personally would ask for more of an explanation). Guy Pierce plays old man Weyland why? Where there no older male actors suitable for the part? Under all that prosthetic make-up, it just seemed like, again, it was a waste of a good actor....
    There a few scenes of shock-horror in the film, which made me jump a bit out of my seat and cringe some of which a homage to the original Alien franchise, such as an alien-in-human extraction scene. Although nicely done, they alone cannot make up for a poor script. Matters of faith, infection and creation are touched upon but barely explored maybe they are anticipating a sequel? If so, let's hope they'll be more in the writing. There was virtually no suspense, no arc, or genuine shock. It felt superficial it could have been so much better.....
  45. Jul 4, 2013
    Very disappointing. It's not bad, but it's one of the biggest missed opportunities I've ever seen. First I'll get the good out of the way. Naomi Rapace, (Think that's how you spell it), is definitely a talented actress and she's a good fit for the lead role. Fassbender also gives an impressive performance. The visual effects are impressive too, although at times they're also overly disgusting. Performances and visuals don't really matter however if the material isn't good. Unfortunately the material isn't good. It feels like it's just going through the motions the whole time, and it does, as someone else's review has said, "ruin the mystery of Alien". It does this without any compelling reason either. Couple that with some pretty stupid and bland characters, as well as a surprisingly off putting atmosphere, and you have a film which is a huge letdown. Forgot about plot improbabilities but I'm not going to waste time. There are a few moments of grandeur but they can't save the movie. It could have been rapturous but ends up being one of the slightest big budget films I have ever seen. The original Alien was elegant in its pacing and flawlessly directed. It's atmosphere was masterfully gothic, creepy and awe inspiring at the same time. It was also intelligent and trimmed of anything that didn't work. Prometheus is flat in its atmosphere, lacking in tension, full of stupid scenes, and ultimately forgettable. If a sequel is made, and based on impressive box office earnings it probably will be, Scott better rediscover his touch, because it would sadden me to see him make another mediocre sci-fi film when he has, or had, such talent. Expand
  46. Jun 29, 2013
    Wow. Thank goodness I didn't waste the money on a cinema ticket to see this when it came out (despite being tempted to thanks to the ridiculous levels of hype Ridley Scott generated). Prometheus is NOT "inscrutable", "mysterious", "intellectual" or any of the other terms used to describe it on fanboy webforums and YouTube rants claiming to "understand" its "true meaning". It is a fantastically stupid film. End of. The only redeeming feature is the gorgeous production design and cinematography. It LOOKS great. But looks can be deceiving. Prometheus doesn't make sense NOT because it is cleverer than we are, but because it is far, far, FAR stupider than we are. It is confusing not because it knows something we don't, but because it is poorly cobbled-together archaeo-religio-scientific claptrap that simply doesn't make sense. The entire film (and all subplots therein) rest upon the shaky foundations known in the business as "the Idiot Plot". NOBODY in this film, at any time does anything that could in a favourable light be labelled as intelligent. Every decision of every character is totally stupid and acts simply to bring them closer to death, which is (surprise surprise) the point of a stupid space-slasher movie. Right now this excrable crud is battling with Batman and Robin for the honour of Worst Film I Have Ever Seen. It really is THAT bad. Expand
  47. Jun 27, 2013
    Beautiful, and terrible. Picture a child trying desperately to impress its parents, and in doing so destroys everything around them. Now that I think of it, this review has a better narrative interpretation than the movie. At least it looked good.
  48. Jun 27, 2013
    A beautifully filmed movie that makes you really piece things together. If you love movies that make you re-watch to figure it out, this is one of the best of 2012.. I can't wait until the next one!
  49. Jun 25, 2013
    Prometheus is magnificent and visually stunning, wonderfully mysterious with a great but horrifying adventure, on the other hand, it is not all positively reviewed, Prometheus movie pacing is poor and boring, and the it is way too longer than it should have been, it is sometimes not completed and leaves with a lot of questions (open ending) which I will be passionately waiting for the sequel, although some reviews are negative, and critics are not that satisfied, but for me, Prometheus is an epic 3D adventure, 70% for the cinematic experience, but it won't be so enjoyable to watch at home, but overall, it is good. Expand
  50. Jun 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus starts you off with a beginning similar in mystery and wonder to that of the liking toward Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, but on a much larger scale. Throughout the film, you are to encounter an amazing usage of set design and digital effects that are far beyond many other movies seen today. The excitement peaks multiple times throughout the movie with a creepy, dark science feeling in between. Prometheus isn't just your average Sci-Fi horror flick, but an outside and adventurous journey to an alien world where mistakes ARE catastrophic. Though it is within the Alien and Aliens universe, this movie could very well stand alone as it's own masterpiece. The environment of the movie is so controlled but, yet it is free from any enchained mind, making it just as chaotic, if not more perilous than the other films. Prometheus is a keen breed of new and heavy hitting Science fiction-Adventure films that are rare to find these days, making it one of the most unique and awesome pieces of cinema to date. Expand
  51. Jun 20, 2013
    En ciertos tiempos la pelicula se torna aburrida, pero lo que la alcanza a salvar es el suspenso del trama de la pelicula que logra atrapar demasiado al televidente
  52. Jun 7, 2013
    Definitely a cool story. It raises a lot of questions that it can't answer, and I feel that it is simply the film being honest with itself and its viewers. This seems to have angered a great many people. On the other hand, some people felt the film was too "anti-sci-fi" and I can see this as a valid complaint, because I often felt this way as well. The main character injects faith into the narrative of the film, and while I can see how it would be necessary, I could have done without it. It felt generic and cliche'. It felt, honestly, a little too family friendly at that point. The film is driving home a hard hitting point, and I felt that the "faith" talk was a way of patting the audience on the head and saying "there, there, no need to fret!" I don't know, maybe that's just me. If you are looking for a hardcore prequel to Alien, then you will also be disappointed. The story is very much its own. It's a good watch, and even a good buy, but I felt it had an identity crisis at times and failed to really drive home its message with confidence. The acting is pretty superb. Fassbender and Theron knock it out of the park. I really love Charlize Theron. She is one of the few "cross over" actors who I feel really have earned their stripes, and she is hands down one of the most beautiful women alive today. Expand
  53. Jun 2, 2013
    Prometheus is a film that invites a lot of discussion; a hard sci fi flick that is melded with your typical Hollywood blockbuster. Fanatical ALIEN fans will say that it fails to become a hard sci fi, like 'the never made' Rendevouz with Rama'. They say it takes a lot of narrative 'short cuts' in the form of 'stock', predictable characters. The list of criticisms goes on and on....But to me, Prometheus has Scott's biggest strengths and weaknesses as a film maker: visually stupendous at the expense of narrative. It's a Ridley Scott film for crying out loud, in a genre he practically reinvented 30 years ago. When the dust is clear, I think people will realise what a great film this is. Not in the same caliber as ALIEN, but one of his most energetic and mind boggling film he made since GLADIATOR. But a thrill ride that will make you think; it doesn't spoon fed you with answers. Things are left vague for audiences to make their own mind. Scott has also created another 'harrowing and gut wrenching' horror set piece that is up there as the best in the last 10 years (beside the chest bursting scene in ALIEN). So folks....buckle up and just enjoy the ride. Oh yeah, it also uses 3-D in a great way... Expand
  54. May 28, 2013
    This a great prequel to the Alien franchise! Sure hope that Ridley Scott's sequel to this is any better and we finally get to see our favorite killing machines!
  55. May 27, 2013
    What's disappointing is more than half of this movie is boring, only last scene is good. Maniac Charlie Holloway, Alien snake, Meredith Vickers running from space ship(why don't she just run left) scenes were bad.
    I only liked the Engineer turn to skeleton, giant octopus surgery, octopus vs Engineer, and alien birth from Engineer scenes. I wanted to see more scenes escaping from
    Engineer, octopus and alien birth from Engineer. I really liked the Engineer,the Character was like Michael Myers. I don't want to see a heroine with assault rifle or super powers like Resident Evil: Retribution, I want see heroine like Laurie Strode. Heroine with no weapon or very weak weapon. Protagonist with strong weapon just lose the suspense. Expand
  56. May 24, 2013
    This is just a bad movie................................................................................................................................!
  57. May 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus may be a very interesting and eerie visual picture, but the praise of it creating questions of fascination is more dampening than it is a praise. I wasn't a very big fan of the Alien franchise, the first one wasn't really doing it for me, the second I love, but those are the only two I've seen besides this one. originally I was thinking of seeing this when it came out, along with the Dark knight rises and the Avengers. But I guess I just lost interest at the last minute. So I decided to catch it when it came out on DVD, and I watched it with friends. I can say that this movie is certainly a very visual dependent film, which is certainly okay, but it does require at least some humanity. By that I mean that it shouldn't be taken over by it's visuals, and unfortunately this film suffers from that same problem. It claims to have answered our questions as to why the Aliens exist; yet while it does give some sort of reason, it also makes the plot much more confusing and hard to follow. The opening doesn't make any sense, I could only think that it shows how humans populated the Earth, but how can anyone tell with such vague details. The ending is not so great either, we finally see an alien/Xenomorpth, but it just shows that they want to make another one after this and then tell us about the Aliens. I'll finish up by saying: This movie; while visually entertaining, is a melttled mess with confusing details, and an unclear story. Expand
  58. May 21, 2013
    Is totally dissapointing. I can't believe it. Why Ridley? You turn crazy? you betrayed your universe. Sorry, i'm impressed. Only good are the cast. And Guy Pearce as Weyland...
  59. May 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. By far the worst movie i have ever seen. After seeing it i was pist off because it was so bad. The plot was rubbish, there happened so many thing and not 1 thing was later explained. They send the most retarded fella's on the most important mission of mankind. The woman cuts an alien out of her womb and an hour later she can run, rappel, climb, and not feel a thing? "open to interpretation" my ass. Expand
  60. May 9, 2013
    I have tried to watch this with an open mind, I did. it's simple, there are far better so called Bollywood movies then this.
    It's hard to describe how bad this is as I wanted to start of with a positive note, I just can't.
    No story what so ever.
    Aliens? Please, this is E.T call earth, that's it nothing more.
  61. May 5, 2013
    Now, I like how the special effects in this movie is being done. They are absolutely stunning. The ship's interior to the planet are greatly detailed. David and the ship captain are the standouts of this movie for being great characters. The problem with this movie is EVERYTHING ELSE. The plot itself is ok, but the execution is complete garbage. The two dumbasses biologist and map designer got lost even though they're the ones who has the good idea of running before its too late and then got killed because the biologist guy call an alien penis "beautiful", and that's the point where the entire movie got horrible. Afterwards everyone died one by one just like a typical horror flick, and it wouldn't be that bad if the movie is actually supposed to be like that, but its not. The movie is about these ambitious attempt of discovering the origins of human life. These people that died are supposed to be experts on their fields. If these people in the movie are the best that humanity can offer, humanity is doomed. It's completely dumb and stupid. Maybe it's just me thinking about it, it's possible that other people get through the stupidity and enjoy the movie, but come on, 100 by Roger Ebert??? God bless your soul MR Ebert for making a great influence after all these years, but this is the most dishonest review you have ever done and you know it. Please review the best movie of all time with your partner up there. It's called Real Life. 10 years of screentime and it reviews life of every men and women in the world so there's plenty of hating and loving of human nature. Expand
  62. Apr 26, 2013
    Honestly I loved this movie so I'll just say what I liked and mention my one core, and petty criticism.

The story, good. A decent explantion of where the alien ship came from while still acting as a good stand alone story in the Alien universe.
    Enjoyable and believable characters that are well acted with David, a robot who sees his creator as a father and pretends to be human in the
    opening, being the best of the pick.
    Legitimate tension to keep you invested and good action, a great return to sci-fi for Ridley Scott.

What I didn't like was the soundtrack, it feels al over the place. Some songs sound like they're from 2001 A Space Odyssey, while others sound like thy're from Alien andThe Terminator. Plus there's this underlying feeling that the story would've been better if it went with the original script. Which wasa straight up Alien prequel.

All in all a good movie that expands on the Alien universe in a unique way.
  63. Apr 20, 2013
    I really feel that this may have flaws but i wont accept people getting a ZERO 0 for this film so i ll get it a 10/10 although it may have some flaws etc the basic concept, back round and fantasy behind this movie is outstanding.
  64. Apr 10, 2013
    Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
  65. Apr 7, 2013
    Ridley Scott had a bar that was set very high for this semi-prequel to Alien. Scott does not disappoint. The result was a sweeping epic with fantastic visuals and an unexpected homage to the sci-fi genre. For the discerning eye, there were scenes that were reminiscent of Star Wars, Star Trek, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Aliens, X-Files, The Thing, and probably a few more I didn't catch. The very first scene was
    surprising and thought provoking, and the last scene was the closest
    connection to Alien the movie presented, beyond the iconic images
    already shown in the previews.

A very long but never boring adventure, it showcased the great acting
    talents of Noomi Rapace of the original Swedish "Dragon Tattoo" trilogy
    and Michael Fassbender, the best android of the Alien films. Charlene
    Theron continues to amaze as the best "ice queen" in movies today.

The film isn't perfect. It stretches the bounds of believability in
    several areas. Why do two of the "scientists" freak out when seeing an
    "alien" corpse but have no problem confronting the live "thing" that
    would make most of us run for cover?

Noomi Rapace has a scene that shows she can portray pain-in-action as
    good as Bruce Willis in Die Hard, but then has action sequences that
    suspend disbelief more than Willis running on tattered feet.

You don't get the slow-paced, dread and suspense of the original Alien
    or Blade Runner. This has way more action, gore and crowd-pleasing
    scenes. But it is nonetheless a film that will become a most-see films
    for genre fans.
  66. Apr 7, 2013
    This film's alternate title is “Let Sleeping Aliens Lie.” If you don't like that title, try “God Is an Alien.” This film takes a novel view of the eternal question, where do we come from? Darwinism is given a new twist—alien creatures landed on Earth and seeded the planet with their own DNA, which was deposited in the ocean. They apparently came from a planet two years away from Earth, where humanlike Titans were so advanced that they could engineer the human species, which they did after they selected planet Earth to be their experimental laboratory.

A group of Earthling scientists, funded by a corporation that spent a trillion dollars on this project, are being flown to investigate this theory which emerged from a series of ancient cave paintings from diverse cultures, each one indicating visitors from outer space in a star cluster that could be mapped. Unlikely, but disbelief must be suspended. Their target is a moon that revolves around planet LV-223. The landscapes in this science-fiction film are gray and sweeping, an alien no man's land that is starkly beautiful but strangely dead. (It is later ascertained that this moon was just a military base for the Titan aliens.) The evidence indicates that the alien spaceships and their occupants, save one lying in stasis, were somehow attacked before they could take off to destroy the very species they had created. Why they wanted to destroy human life when they invented it, and what calamity prevented them from taking off to carry out their destructive plans are the two biggest questions in the movie. And strangely enough, neither question gets answered, perhaps because it will be answered in a sequel.

Michael Fassbender plays an unfeeling, caustic robot who has eternal life but no emotions, and with his blonde hair brushed back severely and his classic profile, he looks like the perfect Aryan Ubermensch. Charlize Theron, playing Meredith Vickers, could be mistaken for a robot, but she's actually just an overly businesslike corporate employee who is in charge of the spaceship. The entire cast puts in a good performance, but the attention is focused on archeologist Elizabeth Shaw, played passionately by Noomi Rapace. You would never recognize her as Lisbeth in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (original Swedish version), except for the intensity that she radiates in both roles. She creates the suspense and the terror in this film with every expression on her face. The plot jumps around a bit, so that in some scenes, the viewer might be a little confused about what just happened, as I was, until I read a detailed synopsis of the movie. Nevertheless, if you are a science-fiction lover or a fan of director Ridley Scott, the film has enough entertainment value to keep you riveted to the screen.
  67. Apr 6, 2013
    I found a new word foe disappointing "Prometheus," I`m sorry but this movie just did not do it for me, it was not what I expected. It`s a movie worth watching, but it was not as epic as I was hoping for it to be. I did watch the Avengers the week before, so I must say that is hard to follow lol
  68. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I went into this movie without expecting much but I was truly surprised by how entertaining it was. Personally, I thought it was alright when nothing bad was happening but when everything started to go wrong and people started dying, it started to get entertaining! When they finally met one of the "Engineers", that scene was unexpected. Michael Fassbender was brilliant as David and the final chest-burster scene was a great start off to the Alien franchise. Go watch Prometheus if you know what's good for you! Expand
  69. Mar 20, 2013
    If you manage to suspend your belief through a series of insane plot-holes and character missteps, you'll get to see some very pretty special effects.
  70. Mar 16, 2013
    I understand this maybe the most love/hate movie of 2012, mark me down as love. From the first scenes visuals to the thought provoking story, this is a worthy predecessor to the Alien franchise.
  71. Mar 15, 2013
    A movie from which nothing meaningful can be extracted. A failure to Aliens as a prequel, a failure to itself as a stand alone film. Under-used Charlize Theron. Had an ending without a resolution or conclusion to anything. This movie has an amazing universe and set peices but does nothing interesting with them. Just one big disappointment.
  72. Mar 11, 2013
    A Masterpiece. This film is breathtaking. If you were lucky enough to catch it in 3D like I did then you know this is how 3D films should be shot. It wasn't forced, it was just right.
  73. Mar 1, 2013
    I know for sure that thousands of people will disagree with me, but I hated Prometheus. I saw it in theaters and was truly disappointed to it and still am today. I find this film so bland and unbelievably forgettable. Most people tell me "You probably never saw any of the Alien films." Which is FALSE! I own and saw the first two movies. I never bothered Alien 3, Resurrection, and AVP films because I heard they all sucked. This movie got me interested and anticipated for a long time. But I swear, this is the most overrated movie I've ever watched. Thankfully 'Film Brain' from Channel Awesome had the same problems with the movie as much as I did, so I'm not alone on this. I have no idea how this film was praised by viewers and critics. The story is confusing, the characters were bland, and most of the plot is so BORING! I'm sorry, but agree or not (I know many fanboys will be b*tching and complaining to me about it), this is truly disappointing to me. I was expecting more from the man that made the 1st film. Expand
  74. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, where can I begin? Just finished watching this, and for me the film was a big disappointment. Boring, very predictable and ridiculous in equal measure. Took too long to get going then everything started happening at once in a not very believable way. Too many references to the original alien film for the sake of it. Too many characters you didn't care about. Too many *wtf* moments.

Prometheus tries to do the same thing as the original alien film. Most of the crew are average Joes, all wise-cracking and treating the whole mission as another day at the office. Of course this isn't very believable from the start. This is a mission which is off to explore something that may end up being the most important discovery in human history. Why do they act like such ***ks? The crew of the original alien film are just blue-collar workers on a mining ship, you would *expect* them to behave that way.

So off they go to explore the mysterious building. Of course they don't take any weapons duh! Well you wouldn't, would you? Exploring an alien structure, why take the means to defend yourself? They just wander around like they are on a school field trip. Loads of what look like holograms appear. A lazy plot device. How are we going to show what happened to the engineers? Let's make them part of the scene, but at the same time not there either. You would think the unarmed explorers would run away, but they just wander around regardless, the people left back on the ship watching it all making wisecracks. The super-military commander in charge doesn't even bother going along. She's back on the ship telling everyone how brave they should be. They release loads of flying probes to map the place but still a couple of the explorers manage to get lost. Well they would, wouldn't they? Ever hear of GPS? They stay the night and decide to wander around and try to pet an alien which turns out badly. Well you would do that in an alien ship at night on your own, wouldn't you?

Meanwhile the hot commander on the space ship is too busy sleeping with Idris Elba to notice the two guys both getting killed back in the alien building. Well you wouldn't bother have anyone on the space ship keeping tabs on the guys back in the base now, would you?

So for some reason I could never understand a droid poisons one of the crew who starts going bad and his girlfriend gets pregnant and decides to have the quickest abortion in history which she just walks away from 5 minutes later and then they all decide to go and see the engineer who kills them (for being so stupid, I hope god knows I would have done) then a space ship crashes into another spaceship which the two survivors run away from (as you would do) and one of them gets squished (tip run sideways from, not long-ways from, a crashing spacehip) then we get a bit at the end with the engineer getting killed by the female survivors baby then she flies off to visit more of the engineers who killed all her crew (as you would do).

So many references to a far superior flim in Prometheus... The superior film being the original alien film. The use of flamethrowers (the original alien film was a mining ship so they didn't have weapons; the flamethrowers were an improvisation. So why no weapons on prometheus other than the small arms fire they used?). The storm that interrupted everything; lifted from alien. The untrustworthy synthetic. The blue-collar crew (believable for a mining ship. Here? Not so much). The whole blase attitude of the crew throughout was baffling. As I said, they knew this was potentially the most important discovery in human history. Yet for them, they may as well have been working a normal day down at the docks. The original alien film was full of surprises and kept you on your toes throughout. You really cared about the characters and what happened to them. Prometheus, in contrast, was ever so predictable. The old guy ended up being on the ship all along! Well I never saw that coming. The hot commander being his daughter... as predictable as night following day. Like watching the light from an oncoming locomotive at midnight you seemed to feel that you saw the plot unfolding half an hour before it was actually acted out in the film. Expect when something ridiculous happened, which happened quite a lot. Did I mention the "auto-doc scene"?

I cannot believe the same person who directed the original alien film (one of my favourite films ever) directed this film. Do yourself a favour and don't see this film. Watch the extended cut of the original alien film and remind yourself how groundbreaking that film was. ps.Ridley; Please please please don't do the same to Blade Runner.
  75. Feb 18, 2013
    I expected so much more from this movie. A modern Sci-Fi related to Aliens, directed by Ridley Scott, how cool is that? Well, it's not. Overall concept is great, a quest to ask our creators lots of questions. But the script was a disaster. It's not even worth to go through. I haven't seen such an amount of "stupid white people" in any other movie, even in standard horror flicks. I'll give it another try sometime, probably, try to rethink it, get a better understanding of the script, but it seems that there's nothing to look for. Expand
  76. Feb 18, 2013
    I think a lot of people didn't get this. If you are a fan of the Alien franchise then you may feel a little indifferent. I am a fan but I was ready for the ambiguity of an origin story and for my part, was not expecting to see xenomorphs all over the place. This movie felt right for me and certainly is set up well for a sequel. No matter what Ridley says, it is certainly a prequel of an Alien prequel in my view. So many questions, very few answers..........I'm looking forward to a follow-up though. That's where the real links should come together nicely.........hopefully. Very good movie though. Expand
  77. Feb 16, 2013
    A new Aliens movie OMG OMG OMG 5 mins into the film AAAAAHHHH WTH is going on????? don't worry I thought all will be explained but sadly no it won't. This would of been half decent as a stand alone sci-fi movie however in the aliens universe is pretty poor it breaks the lore in some many ways none of which make sense. Graphically this film is a master piece and I particularly liked Fas and Theron in it but beyond that the plot and story are poor and the aliens tie in is just rubbish. I left the cinema feeling really sad about this film then again for me it's been follwoing in a long line of bad aliens movies. Alien (epic) still one hell of a movie with bit that make me jump even though I've seem them 100 times
    Aliens watch the special ed (epic) this is still one of the greatest action movies of all time
    Alien 3 trying to be Alien but still watchable
    Alien 4 trying to be Aliens this is where the rot sets in and the series starts to go down hill
    AvP Appauling
    AvP Requim Appauling
    Prometheus Extremely graphically superb with some great performances but ultimately in the poorer end of the franchise.

Ultimately Prometheus is visually stunning but falls short with the story and Aliens tie in and spoils the lore somewhat. All of the Aliens computer games have also been extremely poor also which is odd as they simply have the best ip for both the movies and games
  78. Feb 11, 2013
    If the purpose of a film is to make you question every other scene and constantly wonder why someone is doing or saying something, Prometheus has nailed it. This movie has a great cast and director, with some phenomenal effects and cinematography, but has absolutely failed in the one area that counts the most: the writing. Lindelhof (that hack writer from Lost) is at it again with yet another "everything is a mystery with no answers, and that's edgy and cool!" script that will have you pulling your hair out and googling questions after watching it. I've never been so frustrated watching a movie before. Expand
  79. Feb 8, 2013
    This is the most disappointed I've been in a film in quite some time. I was really looming forward to Ridley Scott getting back to sci fi but this really missed the mark. The writing is so sloppy and the characters are mind numbimgly stupid. One take away is good effects.
  80. Feb 7, 2013
    The best words I can think of to describe this movie are: Grand concept, but underwhelming delivery. The effects are utterly breathtaking and an absolutely fantastic performances from Michael Fassbender and Idris Elba. The rest of the cast are really just not memorable. But I will say that it does have one scene in it that I did find both disturbing and also very daring in this day and age (it's the scene involving Noomi Rapace's character, and the "Auto-Doc.") Overall: An OK movie that perhaps would have been better off not being associated with the Alien universe as a stand alone movie. In a way it almost is aside from the obvious hints and references. Expand
  81. Feb 3, 2013
    Best sci-fi film in years. People accusing the film of having plot holes...sorry no. Plot holes are some of those things The Dark Knight Rises is full with (as much as I love that film too). There are not any here. There are some absurd actions coming from the characters if you want. But it ends there. Of course people who don´t like to think won´t like this. The 2 hours feel shorter, the idea of the film (humanity origin) is magnificent and so interesting and disturbing. The tension is present throughout the film. Some scenes are memorable. David´s character is so great and the actor does such a great job. And one last thing which helps to make you feel the experience: the special effects are Mind-blowing. One of 2012´s bests if not the best. The oscar nomination in that category is well-deserved. Big production with a brain. Great stuff Expand
  82. Jan 31, 2013
    A band of renegade scientists are joined by members of the Weyland Corporation to explore an uncharted planet that may hold the key to our creation, but the biological remains left behind by the world's previous inhabitants will pose a deadly threat that may instead mark the end of existence! Ridley Scott returns to the Science Fiction genre in a major way with PROMETHEUS, a spiritual prequel to the 1979 classic ALIEN. PROMETHEUS falls very closely in line with the look, feel, and overall mood of the original ALIEN, following a similar structure that includes many familiar characters and settings. Where the two diverge is in their actual storytelling techniques. ALIEN tells a simple yet effective story that comes to a conclusive end after the rising tension found in the first and second acts. The unavoidable plot holes that frequent PROMETHEUS raise more questions than answers every step along the way, leaving the audience to question the writers intentions more so than the grandiose theological discussions that are being proposed. If one thing is for certain, however, it is that Ridley Scott has lost none of his command over this visual medium, creating a mind-blowing display of visual effects that take us well into the next century and beyond the farthest reaches of space. With the suspension of disbelief held high, PROMETHEUS can surely be enjoyed as an epic space adventure in search of far greater meaning amongst the stars. Expand
  83. Jan 31, 2013
    I'm just going to come out and say it, the main reason I watched this movie is because I heard rumors that it was a prequel to the Alien movies. That being said I was impressed to find out that it no only manages to be a kind of sort of prequel, but also it's own unique movie with it's own themes and setting. It ties in well with the universe Ridley Scott established with his movie Alien. It's good and if your a fan of sci-fi movies you should really check this one out. I would love to see a sequel to Prometheus that expands upon what this movies plot. I also have to say that the scene that ties this movie into the Alien series is a great way to not only Ridley Scott to say thanks and pay fan service to the Alien series followers, but to also a great way to tie both movies into the same universe. Expand
  84. Jan 25, 2013
    A terrifying and surprising prequel to the hit movie Alien. Could gone faster but for the most part intense.
  85. Jan 20, 2013
    What a total let-down. This made absolutely no sense, and all of these so-called scientists acted like ignorant frightened school kids. There are numerous scientific errors and such impossible outcomes (running after major surgery). This was yet another cynical grab for cash from the Alien franchise - Ridley Scott is a brilliant director but he must feel embarrassed about this lame crock. Some major logic gaps and very poor characterisation. Watching it on DVD only makes it worse. Expand
  86. Jan 19, 2013
    Firstly, I divided this movie in two parts and secondly, I didn't watch any other Alien-movie. As criticized al lot; there are a lot of questions left. The big question 'What's life purpose?' isn't answered, but that will may be answered in Prometheus 2. But there are also a lot of questions about the movie itself left. What are the octopus/snake-things? What happened to the infected people? (like what would be the exact diagnose, because everyone got other symptoms). What did the 'alien' do in the first 5 minutes? Furthermore Prometheus' crew made a lot of stupid decisions. (you could 'remove' this argument with: 'The owner of the ship was just a simple billionair who wanted some intelligent people'). Like some were first scared of the dead corpses, and later they even tried to have contact with an unknown snake. (There are more of those examples, but I will save you that). Beside this critic I believe this is a real art piece. The CGI is awesome and the atmosphere just sucks you into the movie. Right from the start you're just in Alien's world and you won't escape 'till the end. In short; it's just an awesome movie, which I'd recommend to every Sci-Fi- and maybe even every movie-fan. Expand
  87. Jan 19, 2013
    I want to start off by saying that if you've set your expectations (like I did) on seeing Aliens or at least some Alien "goodness", you will be very disappointed. However, watching it a second time, I tried to be more objective; to see it as a separate title, not as a "Alien' prequel. Without going very deep (because I would ruin the whole experience) I find this movie -- interesting. It's far from great, it's far from what older Sci-Fi movies have done, not to mention it's way below the bar which the Alien series has set long ago. The plot has some problems and, the characters are rather undeveloped and some of them feel out of place (they're not relevant, given the nature of their task) and the story has a very slow pace. On the other hand, the visuals are amazing and the cinematography - spectacular, all the while the 3D implementation is somewhat pointless. I gave it a 7 because I respect Ridley's effort and although I've been disappointed with it overall, I admit it has strong aspects. Let's face it, the movie industry is on a downward slope for some years now, and it doesn't seem to get any better when even the most respected directors disappoint. Expand
  88. Jan 18, 2013
    I like this movie a lot. Its the new version of Alien. I don't see Alien so i don't know how he is or Alien is better, I like the story and I like the cast, especially Michael Fassbender.
  89. Jan 10, 2013
    One of the best of the year. I was a fan of the Aliens series and this shares a common background but takes things in a very new direction. special effects and scenery were excellent. Characters were all well cast and Noomi Rapace is absolutely phenomenal as the tough girl who has to survive some ridiculous events.
  90. Jan 6, 2013
    I've watched the 3D version of Prometheus in an Imax Theatre and then again on Blu-ray. I was also able to partly watch "The Making" of this movie. This is a film with so much potential. Most will agree that the special effects are just awesome. The premise of the story is excellent but I strongly think it needs a lot more polishing. Ridley Scott and the team, should've taken the time to consult more with real scientists that are experts from varied branches of technology that are involved in the story to help decide how the story reasonably progresses and to add to the realism of it all.

People today are much more knowledgeable with technology and sciences compared to when the first Alien film was released. With this, a majority of audiences (especially sci-fi buffs) are more questioning and analytical. That I think is the reason why creating a science fiction film is more difficult compared to a fantasy film like Lord of The Rings. In fantasy movies, you can do mostly anything and audiences won't question you much. Just blame everything on magic! For sci-fi films, it has to be somewhat still rooted to reality and must answer questions as logically and realistically possible.

I like the TV series "Ancient Aliens" and "Through The Wormhole". So I can say I also like "Prometheus" for what it is. I just hope the director and the writer took more effort to flesh out everything and that means even the little things such as how scientists think and act in a possibly real world given the scenarios they faced in the film. All in all, I am satisfied with Prometheus and wishing for a much better sequel.
  91. Jan 2, 2013
    The movie promises to answer some of the most quintessential questions of our existence, but never gets anywhere close. Instead it quickly jumps genre and evolves into an "Alien" for the 21st century (though the old one is still as good and hasn't lost its sheen with time). It's however redeemed by its sweeping visual grandeur and spot-on performances by Rapace and Fassbender.
  92. Jan 1, 2013
    Prometheus was supposed to be the best movie of 2012 and after watching the first hour it definitely was on it's way of becoming one of the better ones, but the great start totally lost all of it's strength in the mid-section and the end. The director lost my focus bit by bit and towards the end i was not interested at all. The idea of the story is pretty well but it just didn't work out. I didn't really "bond" with one of the characters in general which i usually do. Even though the graphics were great and a 5 should be given because the first part was really well and the graphics were great. Expand
  93. Dec 31, 2012
    I have not yet seen alien but if it was like Prometheus it would have been pretty good. But i myself enjoy sci if movies. If you don't like sci-fi than I suggest you don't watch this. But, however this movie is a great movie if you like sci fi movies. Prometheus follows the story of explorers and scientists who travel to a distant planet to find out where they come from. But the question is asked. Can they trust Dr Shaw's and Dr Halloways Engineers(names two of the scientist's give who they believe are there creators). This movie contains a good cast containing Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, Naomi Rapice, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba and Logan Marshel-green. This movie however is a bit boring for in parts and relies heavily on aliens killing people, but i guess thats just the sci-fi genre. So over all a great movie for people who love the Sci-fi genre. Expand
  94. Dec 31, 2012
    This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots. It is like a horror: because there is a lot of foreshadowing, deaths and monsters. It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc. It is like a like a Scientology recruitment video: because it has a lot of nonsense preaching. But ultimately it is none of these things. It's just a load of muddled crap. It's so stupid, lazy, sloppy, and unoriginal that it gave me a headache. Worst of all, it *thinks* it is meaningful.

We need decent sci-fi films. This does the entire genre a disservice.
  95. Dec 29, 2012
    The plot may not at first seem what it is. "You came looking for answers? You thought the Creator* would have answers? You were so wrong!" *(i.e. Ridley Scott) Sorry. Here is the correct movie leaflet synopsis: A bunch of space cowboys, bored from their hum-drum work, go looking for adventure: boldly going into dangerous regions looking for alien life as a source of entertainment. However, will their amateurish bumbling and nihilistic fecklessness end in disaster for themselves and the life that they look for? The above is the only way one can look at the movie with any capacity to suspend disbelief. In fact, one would imagine that all the characters must be habitual abusers of narcotics, and that the android on board must be terribly badly programmed, in order to explain their erratic and idiotic behaviour (it would go some distance to explain away the bad acting). The holes in the script that are far too numerous to list - but these holes are small potatoes in comparison to these tired crash-test dummies that are called 'characters'.

The visuals are brilliant, the technology believable. The aliens in the film are entirely uninspiring. The film hints at things which are potentially quite interesting, but fails to explore any of them. This film could almost be categorised as a prequel to Alien, but doing so would invite a whole additional catalogue of plot holes (so for the sake of the film we'll say that it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot of Alien). This is a suspense film that has no suspense, because one can see everything that is going to happen in advance. Space may be limitless, but the vision of Prometheus manages to be both blurred and narrow - a remarkable combination! Someone writing the script tried (unsuccessfully) to bring religion into the film. Thankfully, the exposition of the spiritual aspects of the plot are both so flimsy and shallow that the can be safely ignored altogether.
  96. Dec 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was a movie that I really, honestly wanted to like. And yet after such an interesting exposition the story collapsed into disappointment. The characters made increasingly stupid decisions that resulted in increasingly stupid deaths. It left me asking, must all space thrillers end by decimating nearly the entire cast? It's become far too cliche now. I can see why the director chose to release the movie with an alternate beginning and an alternate end. The story I saw in theaters is probably not the one he wanted to release. Expand
  97. Dec 26, 2012
    I'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? Its simple. Alien is a staple of science fiction and suspense the likes of which has been attempted many times but never surpassed. The film itself is a mythical force full of mystery and discovery. It had an unprecedented scope of imagination and discovery like the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. None of these qualities exist in Prometheus on any level.

This brings me to director Ridley Scott. Clearly he is not the same man who so eloquently scared the sh*t out of us while enticing our imagination. I fear that his passion is not to appease our expectations but to create something new. That's acceptable. Prometheus is not. In fact it doesn't even belong in the same scope of storytelling. This is a giant mess of biblical proportions not only in its overreaching ideas of human origins but a complete failure in storytelling altogether. Alien had nothing to prove. It was dry. cold and mercilessly tense. Prometheus wants to be something more while ignoring the principle of what matters most. Imagination.
  98. Dec 26, 2012
    "Prometheus" proves that, over 30 years after "Alien", Ridley Scott hasn't lost his touch for engaging and dramatic science fiction. In the year 2093, an exploratory vessel named "Prometheus" escorts a group of scientists to an uncharted moon where they hope to discover the origins of humanity - only to find something much darker and more gruesome awaiting them. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this film is that it stands on its own as a science fiction movie just as well as a prequel to "Alien" - it weaves a complex and intriguing plot tracing the evolution and ultimate birth of the iconic extraterrestrial, while also confronting questions about creation that, in the end, are still left not fully answered. And although it doesn't carry the haunting atmosphere of "Alien", scenes such as Shaw's grisly surgery lend it its own grand, dark identity. The special effects are just gorgeous, the acting is good, and there is nothing major that stands out worth criticism. Overall, a very solid sci-fi flick. Expand
  99. Dec 17, 2012
    Ridley Scott has re-entered the alien universe with a set of stunning visuals and creative story lines which link beautifully with the events of the Nostromo mission in 'Alien'. The opening scene of vivid waterfalls and plush landscapes set the visual tone for the rest of the movie taking it down a darker route as it progresses. Although at times there were slightly unnecessary scenes or some unbelievable turn of events it more than makes up for it in the acting (Michael Fassbender as David could be the performance of his career to date) and momentum. It took a while to really get going but when it did, some gruesome graphics were thrusted into the face of the viewer making it impossible to look away. 'Alien' fans will enjoy this movie. 'Aliens' fans might not. Expand
  100. Dec 9, 2012
    An epic disappointment unfortunately. Ridley's Scott no talent these days. Fassbender was good as always. Gotta give it up for the Fassbend. Some of the shots are striking, and the environments are cool, even if they do seem a bit familiar. It's a bit of a rehash of Alien in way. Come on Ridley, define a genre again for us, create a world like John Carpenter did recently, like you did with Bladerunner. Give us real horror, real suspense like you did in the original Alien. Mind you I thought even that was a bit slow, Aliens was better. Sorry Ridley. I love you for Bladerunner, and Black Hawk down wasn't bad (haven't seen any others) but I know you can do better. You have another Alien film in you. Don't give up. But give us blood curdling horror and suspense. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.