Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation | Release Date: June 8, 2012
Generally favorable reviews based on 1902 Ratings
1,148
WATCH NOW
PleiadesPowerJun 8, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't believe the naysayers and the whiners who had such lofty expectations they would never be fulfilled. As a huge fan of Blade Runner and Alien, I have to say Scott delivered exactly as I expected him to. He raises just enough questions to get your mind running wild and let's your imagination take over. I was absolutely rabid to know more once it was over! The movie was technically beautiful, with 3D not done this good since Avatar. I mean you don't even notice it's 3D and that's the mark of a director who knows how to use it. The sets were incredible, the pace near perfect. Fassbender was acting out of his mind, he deserves a Best Supporting Actor nod, it was that good. And through it all, despite my confidence I could predict every move, at least two scenes caught me off guard, and at least one of them I know I said, Oh My God, out loud. Shock value as only Ridley Scott can deliver, and I will be thinking about this one long after I've seen it three times. So brush aside the haters, and go see some of the most intelligent, gorgeous sci fi we've seen in a long time. Welcome back Ridley! What took you so long? Expand
gimmedatsammichJun 8, 2012
A superb spectacle of action, an intriguing story of speculative science, and a supremely chilling horror film, Prometheus is one hell of a movie. Acting, dialogue, cinematography, and editing all come together seamlessly in what is perhapsA superb spectacle of action, an intriguing story of speculative science, and a supremely chilling horror film, Prometheus is one hell of a movie. Acting, dialogue, cinematography, and editing all come together seamlessly in what is perhaps 2012's most thrilling film. Devoted Alien fans and newcomers alike will be delighted by Ridley Scott's beautiful new melding of technology and good old fashioned storytelling. Keep an eye out for Fassbender- he has a damn good chance of snatching up a trophy or two come award season; never has there been a more convincing human portrayal of an android. Highly recommended. Expand
20 of 53 users found this helpful2033
ViolettSep 6, 2013
Please make me unsee this. This is the worst movie ever, I almost puked when I see it. Nothing entertaining, just nothing. Failed action, failed horror. This movie tries to be priquel to Alien but failing hard in plot.
SethEvandorMay 31, 2015
So you don't detect the lifeforms or bacteria in the environment around you once the atmosphere changes! Okay, so your suit isn't fireproof! But ffs, why does there have to be female and male units? I'm sorry, I'm not programmed to deal withSo you don't detect the lifeforms or bacteria in the environment around you once the atmosphere changes! Okay, so your suit isn't fireproof! But ffs, why does there have to be female and male units? I'm sorry, I'm not programmed to deal with half the human species! So, why do they take their helmets off... Why aren't they cautious at all? Why do two of them get lost? I don't care about the hero's lover, crying or keeling over in pain again will only irritate me.

One thing I noticed after a watch is how you really have no idea where they are going inside the ship, they walk along a corridor, but it means nothing, inside the alien facility, they run down the corridor, but where are they? This movie seemed cheap as **** and then they would just use CGI to make cool explosions and huge ships.... Well that doesn't make your movie good. There is just a lack of visual information.

The dialogue is AWFUL, the characters had very little which was interesting or meaningful to say. This movie isn't memorable at all, and if I were asked what the movie were about, I would say "alien goo. Oh and there's an angry alien and an angry baby!" The directing is good, which is a shame.
WarsmithJun 23, 2015
I've avoided this movie for a reason. I knew it was gonna suck going in and it sucked as much going out. I saw it available at the local library and said "what the heck, I have nothing better to do" and went ahead and rented it. Even for freeI've avoided this movie for a reason. I knew it was gonna suck going in and it sucked as much going out. I saw it available at the local library and said "what the heck, I have nothing better to do" and went ahead and rented it. Even for free I feel like I should get some sort of compensation.

On top of the ham acting, the terrible make up job, the bad script it's only redeeming feature is that Prometheus is gosh darn pretty (hence the 1/10). The people on board, not even the captain knows where they are going! Who wrote this? None of the crew met before setting out, and what's with no one knowing anything about the ship before hand? You just didn't walk through the ship before you got stationed there? That's like getting on a submarine, diving only to find that there are holes on the portside, the ballast isn't balanced, the radio is broke, no escape suits, no rations and none of the pressure gauges work.

The real problem with Prometheus comes as a massive blow to die hard fans, such as I. It takes years (over 30) worth of canon, comic books, the first two films (A3 and AR were bad, but not nearly as bad as this film) and decides to chuck it all out the window.

All the futuristic tech with the holograms and the pretty jet engines and the lack of the 'Yutani' at the end of Weyland just gave me a raging headache. The film would have been received much better if they, ironically, went further back in time and had even lower tech than they had in Alien (a la clackity key boards and much more DOS)!

Fans would have loved it. Something old as something new actually works and they can't seem to grasp that effect, so instead they ripped all that was good about the series and left nothing but a steaming turd.

The series didn't deserve to have anything like Prometheus hit the silver screen and instead of helping it, it hindered it in all the worst ways. Aliens Vs. Predator 2 was akin to a magnificent masterpiece compared to this drivel!

All in all, if you view Prometheus as a 'Star Trek' movie, it's not nearly as bad (just pretend, okay?) as it seems. But the problem is that Prometheus is an 'Alien' film and thus deserves to be shredded.

Prometheus proves, yet again, that the very best films in the series are Alien and Aliens.

Final verdict: "I like to keep this handy for close encounters"
QuadrangleJan 19, 2017
Abject. I watched incredulous as this brainless film unfolded. Stupid characters in whom you can invest nothing, abysmal dialogue riddled with exposition, plot holes you could drive a bus through... it was such a sour experience that I wouldAbject. I watched incredulous as this brainless film unfolded. Stupid characters in whom you can invest nothing, abysmal dialogue riddled with exposition, plot holes you could drive a bus through... it was such a sour experience that I would give a negative rating for the time lost. Without doubt the most disappointing cinematic experience of my life (huge fan of Alien/Aliens), so much so I am still stewing about it years later. I was belatedly prompted to created an account for the sole purpose of writing this review when I saw news today of the forthcoming sequel 'Alien: Covenant'. Fingers crossed for a complete miracle, but I fear we are probably set for another absolute stinker. And why not when Prometheus unimaginably scores 65 critic/6.6 user average at timing of writing! The mind just boggles. At least there are 300+ other like-minded users out there and enjoyed reading some of your more scathing reviews :-) Expand
oliver1hNov 13, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the worst movie I have ever seen!!! It is Science-fiction without the science part!
The cons: 1. PLOT HOLES (As big as the distance between Earth and the planet they have visited!)
2. No character development (Noomi Rapace's boyfriend is "murdered" by the android David, but at the end of the movie they become buddies...OK...)
3. The "scientists" are nothing like real life scientists (They act childish and not like a group of professionals sent to a billion dollar mission)
4. WASTED TALENT (The movie stars actors as Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron but even they can't save the movie)
5. The ending (Ridley Scott made the movie unfinished just to make a sequel in the future...He needs to pay the bills too!)
6. The science (They land on a plant without mapping it first, Noomi Rapace's self-surgery and how she walks around after that ETC.) 7. No suspense (There are several action scenes but they feel very dull and stupid)
And many more problems the critics seem to forget about when they give the movie 100/100 scores!!!
Maybe they were watching a different movie....GOOD FOR THEM!
BigAlienBossDec 31, 2012
This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots.
It is like a horror: because there is a lot of foreshadowing, deaths and monsters.
It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc. It is
This is like a comedy: because all the characters are bumbling idiots.
It is like a sci-fi: because it is set in the future and has spaceships, etc.
It is like a like a Scientology recruitment video: because it has a lot of nonsense preaching.

But ultimately it is none of these things. It's just a load of muddled crap. It's so stupid, lazy, sloppy, and unoriginal that it gave me a headache. Worst of all, it *thinks* it is meaningful.

We need decent sci-fi films. This does the entire genre a disservice.
DoniazadeJul 8, 2012
This was the dumbest movie I've seen in years. The characters all seem to suffer from severe brain damage, and the plot is needlessly complicated and nonsensical with many, many holes. Like Avatar, it's nothing but a sequence of prettyThis was the dumbest movie I've seen in years. The characters all seem to suffer from severe brain damage, and the plot is needlessly complicated and nonsensical with many, many holes. Like Avatar, it's nothing but a sequence of pretty pictures (to be honest, they are very pretty pictures) that make little sense when put together into a story. Watch it if you want two hours of nice environments, but don't expect anything intellectual out of it. Expand
DavidOSJun 29, 2012
What a pile of horse manure? It has a 7.6 rating on IMDB which was the main reason I went to see it (that and the fact that Ridley Scott directed). It is intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien but it's really just a very bad re-make ofWhat a pile of horse manure? It has a 7.6 rating on IMDB which was the main reason I went to see it (that and the fact that Ridley Scott directed). It is intended as a prequel to Ridley Scott's Alien but it's really just a very bad re-make of Alien with an invisible, non-nonsensical story line. The characters are paper-thin idiots, the dialog is asinine, and the actors have nothing to work with. The whole thing is utterly forgettable. The visuals are okay for a while but gradually overwhelm everything. There is a hint in the end that there may be sequels and with 7.6 on IMDB there probably will be. Scott needs to hire some writers who know the difference between suspense and shtick and can write dialog that is not aimed directly at the audience. 1/10 for production quality. Expand
uOSIuJul 23, 2012
It's so stupid I hardly managed to survive till the end. It's pretty though, nice 3D - if it's what's you're looking for, this one is for you. My problem was that every single dialogue, every single decision, almost every move of theIt's so stupid I hardly managed to survive till the end. It's pretty though, nice 3D - if it's what's you're looking for, this one is for you. My problem was that every single dialogue, every single decision, almost every move of the characters is completely stupid, it makes no sense at all. Waste of time :( Expand
JDFreeman001Oct 9, 2012
Awful. I expect far more from Ridley Scott. Bland charcters, with no depth. The Cinematography in the first 20mins was stunning but then dropped dismally. The plot goes downhill after the midway point. This whole film feels like Ridley wantedAwful. I expect far more from Ridley Scott. Bland charcters, with no depth. The Cinematography in the first 20mins was stunning but then dropped dismally. The plot goes downhill after the midway point. This whole film feels like Ridley wanted to do a film that had nothing to do with Alien, but the only way he could get the funding was to convince the studios that he was making a prequel. Would of been far far better if it was a pure sci-fi re-imagining of "At the mountains of madness", alas it was just a colosal waste. Expand
kamikazebingoNov 7, 2013
A year old now and I still have nightmares and sweats at how spectacularly bad this film is. I hate you now Ridley. Anyone giving this film more than 3 needs a lobotomy. Or they enjoy Alvin and the Chipmunks movies.
coolunmeDec 26, 2012
I'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? ItsI'm not going to waste any time on the plot as it has been discussed to exhausting heights. But I am going to vent my frustration and heartbreak over Prometheus. The grandest disappointment in cinamatic history and science fiction. Why? Its simple. Alien is a staple of science fiction and suspense the likes of which has been attempted many times but never surpassed. The film itself is a mythical force full of mystery and discovery. It had an unprecedented scope of imagination and discovery like the original Raiders of the Lost Ark. None of these qualities exist in Prometheus on any level.

This brings me to director Ridley Scott. Clearly he is not the same man who so eloquently scared the sh*t out of us while enticing our imagination. I fear that his passion is not to appease our expectations but to create something new. That's acceptable. Prometheus is not. In fact it doesn't even belong in the same scope of storytelling. This is a giant mess of biblical proportions not only in its overreaching ideas of human origins but a complete failure in storytelling altogether. Alien had nothing to prove. It was dry. cold and mercilessly tense. Prometheus wants to be something more while ignoring the principle of what matters most. Imagination.
Variola_MajorDec 2, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So let me get this straight... In the future, two archaeologists discover a 35.000 years old cave painting, in Scotland. Painted by humans who seemed to worship giant aliens, members of superior space-faring race. Similar finds were made all over the world, of artifacts left behind by independent civilizations that shared no contact. Apparently those ancient aliens posed as Gods, were friendly, and yet, with such teachers and sponsors, all that those humans were able to leave behind were cave paintings made with charcoal and some stone tools. THIS ALONE makes archaeologists forget all about Lucy and other famous australopithecines and hominids. Screw Darwin. We were CREATED... umm...engineered. Because one archaeologist "chose to believe so." Jesus of Nazareth was an alien hybrid, she concludes, I guess. Insulting pseudo-religious anti-science diarrhea at it's best. But wait, it gets worse... On those ancient artifacts are included identical star maps that look like an invitation, she chose to believe. Invitation from whom, you might ask, invitation to go where? Well, invitation from our gods, umm... aliens I mean. To go where? WELL, TO GO VISIT AN ANCIENT ALIEN BIOWEAPONS STORAGE FACILITY, OF COURSE !!! So naturally, humans go and visit. Why would a super advanced race of Engineers invite their Children to visit a bioweapons storage facility, and not a Temple of Knowledge???

A trillionaire named Weyland pays for a space exploratory mission, THE Mission, Mission of all missions. So one would think that such a Mission would be populated by crown jewels of modern science, Cream of the Cream, the Super Intelligentsia, the very best that future Harvard, Oxford and Stanford will be able to offer the richest ,most powerful man on the planet Earth.

Right ? Wrong. Weyland handpicked a bunch of retards whose intellect operates on a level of a ten-year-old who learned science from comic books, and bad comic books at that !!! An archaeologist suddenly becomes an expert in genetics and biochemistry, while moron biologist gets lost with a sociopathic geologist in a 3D-mapped cave, while being able to communicate with captain. Alien genome is identical to human genome. Scientists remove their helmets twenty minutes after entering a compound on a foreign planet which they KNOW is populated with alien biology and potential pathogens. And when they encounter a foreign organism (after discovering a bunch of mutilated alien corpses !!!), a sinister looking cobra-like worm, the very first alien humans ever encountered, what do they do ? They start laughing and giggling like drunk high school kids, you know, those retarded football types, and they start petting that god-damned thing. 2000-years-old mummified corpses are twitching like they died five minutes ago and suddenly explode, spraying gallons of bodily fluids all over the lab. That's after those silly "scientists" poke the corpse with an electric needle !!! Yes, that's ancient mummies I'm talking about. A woman who just went through fully opened abdominal surgery is stitched like a cardboard and starts running around. Literally ! They find strange organic liquid stored in vases, on an industrial scale, in ancient alien temple - nobody bothers to properly analyze it. Have you ever seen a NASA news conference or mission room after they landed a new probe on Mars? Those scientists are hugging each other with tears in their eyes. Their voices are shaking. AND THEY DIDN'T EVEN LAND ON MARS PERSONALLY, THEY JUST SUCCESSFULLY LANDED A ROVER!!! Landing on an alien world is every geologist's wet dream, every geologist masturbates to the thought of that! And what does our Prometheus' geologist have to say when he wakes up from cryo-sleep? "Don't bother me with your friendship, I'm here to make money." It's like he just broke out of jail. And so on and on. The idiocy of these so called scientists is beyond belief and it just never stops. It just gets worse and worse with every additional scene. It is actually quite astonishing just how stupid this film is. Is Lindelof mentally retarded? Definitely. It's either that or he just did it on purpose, out of sheer perversion. Is Scott senile? Or just criminally under-educated egomaniacal quasi-intellectual masturbator ? You tell me... I'm perfectly able to enjoy "childish" sci-fi, like Transformers. That's because Michael Bay didn't set out to cheat me. He said Transformer movie is about a sexy couple, cool giant robots, ultra-spectacular action scenes and... that's it. That's what Michael Bay promised us and that's EXACTLY what he delivered. I respect Bay for his unpretentious honesty and I wasn't at all disappointed by his films, in fact - I enjoyed them very much ! But this Prometheus was sold to me as a quintessential A-Movie, a masterpiece of serious, intelligent Sci-Fi. It was supposed to be an intellectual Sci-Fi film. I feel raped.
OverworlderJun 20, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It had some pretty effects and sweeping shots, I'll give it that much. I also rather liked Fassbender's robot character, but everyone else felt pretty hollow and consistently acted like idiots. Did not like the aliens or the plot at all. The aliens are just another boring, monolithic evil trying to destroy humans. And on top of this tired old trope they've piled up mystery upon mystery that never get resolved. Disjointed, non-sensical, and with zero payoff at the end. Expand
darkcerbSep 17, 2012
An average action flick that raises plenty of questions about the alien universe and answers as few of them as possible, filled to the brim with unlikable and obviously expendable characters with one note personalities. But the biggestAn average action flick that raises plenty of questions about the alien universe and answers as few of them as possible, filled to the brim with unlikable and obviously expendable characters with one note personalities. But the biggest disappointment and quite frankly insulting part of the movie, the big superior race? Turns out when confronted just hulk smash and grunt like a b-movie swamp monster. I guess I enjoyed it when Pretending it had nothing to do with the alien mythos at all but that's not really praise. Expand
chanduttJun 23, 2012
Lordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which wasLordy, this is a bad movie. Glad I only wasted 7 bucks on this beast. Robot man is goofy with absolutely no character envelopment, even for an android. And, Data in Star Trek has a better story line, and technical explanation which was created at least 10 years ago. I was pretty sure that after that alien troll sprang from the body of gigantor, that Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Killer, would appear on screen and kill him with a stove pipe hat. And, Charlezzzzz you need to step it up girl. Take the money and run only lasts so long. Bad, bad, bad..... Expand
chazwozzerJun 30, 2012
Hyped to re-write scifi..................really missed the mark, very very disappointed.
Super human beings couldnt think of a better way to kill off humanity other than a million big jars of Marmite with worms in, that if you ingest any then sleep with your partner you impregnat her with an octopus, an octopus that grows to the size of a house, then it latches onto you impregnating you with another alien. Awesome well done super duper human beings, maybe next time a big bomb would do the trick eh?!!?!?!?
penfifteenApr 10, 2013
Dear lord what a bad story. Either they had a 10 hour script they had to cut to bits to fit into 2 hours or the execs got ahold of the script last minute and made the writers change everything into a vague mess.
m3xcJul 20, 2012
Production values do not make a film, as this facet is a given in high budget movies. Adequate actors do not make a film excellent if the script is good - in this case, mediocre- and screenplay is interesting premise - good development -Production values do not make a film, as this facet is a given in high budget movies. Adequate actors do not make a film excellent if the script is good - in this case, mediocre- and screenplay is interesting premise - good development - drawn out - rushed ending - great cliffhanger. Allusions to stand alone classics and mythology do not make a film if they do little to nothing in contribution to the film in its entirety.

People have lauded this film as if it is some avant-garde, incredible work of art for in the least its name being a reference to the Greek myth where Man is made, given the ability to make fire, metaphysical overtones, and the obvious reference to the story of the birth of Christ does little to actually help the film. If anything, these allusions are made to make the film seem deeper than it is. Again, the premise is the best part, and while I was enjoying it so much as I am a huge fan of science fiction, there came a time in the film when I was struggling to come up with warrants to justify why the film was good. I am capable to logic and reasoning- people complain at how analytical I am at times - yet, hopefully not to sound cyclical, it was when the film started to drag on that I, in retrospect, should have walked out. I have never walked out on a film before (except for the second installment of Lord of the Rings, due to the fact I couldn't stand the directing). At least I got to watch that movie for free. I regret having spent $9 to see this movie. It had some good scenes though and I know not to watch this as if it is an Alien film, but treat it more like a separate sci fi film (given the ending, t is impossible to - I will say no more).

To describe this film, only word word is required. Terrible.
diehard-gamerSep 20, 2012
As someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every singleAs someone who loves the alien/predator series, even I have to admit this is the worst film in the series and probably one of the worst films I have ever seen. The production values may be great,, but the story is weak and every single character in the film is stereotyped, selfish, stupid, ineffectual and dislikable. Their mission appears to have no unifying aim, they show no teamwork, and they have no purpose other than to pose and/or panic until their predictable demises. More like a teen slasher flick than quality sci fi. Very very disappointing. Worth watching once for the Alien backstory elements, but thats it. Expand
leadsenderJun 18, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am also an Aliens saga fan, but Prometheus was a huge disapointment. Great graphics, but a long stretched out story with a sudden unexplained ending. Looks like the movie makes wanted to make a quick buck. And who bribed the critics to give it a high score!!! Expand
FunksatronJun 21, 2012
Prometheus would look fantastic as a coffee table book since it is a respectable visual evolution of the Alien franchise. Beyond that it is a failure. It is a two hour demo reel for distractingly bad science. It might answer one or twoPrometheus would look fantastic as a coffee table book since it is a respectable visual evolution of the Alien franchise. Beyond that it is a failure. It is a two hour demo reel for distractingly bad science. It might answer one or two questions left from the original mythology, but poses infinitely more new questions and tells the story in such an unsatisfying stumble through poorly written characters and their inexplicable actions that you don't care about the answers that dribble forth and are encouraged to be apathetic about any future revelations as they are sure to be unsatisfying. Expand
LaraCroftJun 23, 2012
Pure crap. Expected to see a film promoted as a crew searching for the meaning of life and the origin of the universe and paid $36 (!!!) for an ALIEN PREQUEL.
SanyaJun 25, 2012
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film was such a disappointment. THEY REALLY DUMBED IT DOWN. Of course visually it was nice...but that only go so far. Cheesy dialogue and plodding! I guess this was to pay for a new piece of real estate for Ridley. Watched it at Waves! The screen and sound effect was good. Expand
blacksunJul 1, 2012
A victim of many things, including poor screen writing and rampant fan-boy-ism and hype, Prometheus fails to live up to much of anything. Many people have the name Ridley Scott on their lips, but, the blame can't really be attributed to himA victim of many things, including poor screen writing and rampant fan-boy-ism and hype, Prometheus fails to live up to much of anything. Many people have the name Ridley Scott on their lips, but, the blame can't really be attributed to him in this case, as the real problem is with the plot. It REEKS of too many fingers in the pie, too many half assed ideas pasted together to form a "story" that tries to be on one hand, an intellectual film and on the other an extension of the now mundane space monster movie, and fails to deliver on either account. With too many plot holes to list, mediocre casting / acting and a hollow ending, it's just not worth it. Expand
MadBadger37Jul 22, 2012
Very disappointed. All of the good reviews here (so many 10's, even Mr. Ebert?) just talk about how interested they were in the plot. The characters, with the exception of Fassbinder, were so neglected over plot that the movie was uninvolvingVery disappointed. All of the good reviews here (so many 10's, even Mr. Ebert?) just talk about how interested they were in the plot. The characters, with the exception of Fassbinder, were so neglected over plot that the movie was uninvolving for me. Huge character motivation holes. Really important things happen that don't seem to faze the characters or change their behavior at all. And for such an important mission, they seem to have sent the cast of Jersey Shore to accomplish it... Expand
TheCapDemon4Aug 30, 2012
Would be an awesome movie... if the characters weren't completely unlikeable and idiotic. I mean, if humanity finds a hint of the origins of life on an extraterrestrial planet, they would send a team of highly trained astronauts, not aWould be an awesome movie... if the characters weren't completely unlikeable and idiotic. I mean, if humanity finds a hint of the origins of life on an extraterrestrial planet, they would send a team of highly trained astronauts, not a ex-convict in it for money, or a lazy captain. Expand
KroogsSep 18, 2012
It's a gorgeous movie but that's literally all it has going for it. The scenes are long and drawn out, the horror is utterly predictable and impossible and the characters are thoughtlessly one-dimensional throughout. If an early revelationIt's a gorgeous movie but that's literally all it has going for it. The scenes are long and drawn out, the horror is utterly predictable and impossible and the characters are thoughtlessly one-dimensional throughout. If an early revelation that evolution is false and we were created by some far away aliens, independent of the other species on this planet, might bother you, steer very clear of this movie. It's a mockery of science, filmmaking and religion all in one.

Thanks, metacritic, for littering my review with a bunch of backslashes. Time to move away from the PHP, fools.