6.5

1. Jun 12, 2012
    A truly phenomenal movie! Acting was top notch, plot was intriguing and the visuals were spectacular. Script was well done despite all the criticism. Many people just can't appreciate the style in which it was written. A kind of style that says, "if it doesn't need to be explained, don't explain it." Also, the characters were GREAT. Michael Fassbender was was brilliant as theA truly phenomenal movie! Acting was top notch, plot was intriguing and the visuals were spectacular. Script was well done despite all the criticism. Many people just can't appreciate the style in which it was written. A kind of style that says, "if it doesn't need to be explained, don't explain it." Also, the characters were GREAT. Michael Fassbender was was brilliant as the android David, and added a great mystique to the character who was already fascinating in the script. Noomi Rapace was fantastic as Elisabeth Shaw. A character who was kick-a$$, but in a very believable way. A magnificent example of a "strong female lead". Any flack the film may receive concerning the crew making "stupid mistakes" is unjustified. Considering humans have never encountered anything remotely close to what the characters in the film come into contact with, it's safe to assume that the same mistakes could be made my any real human being. Point being, the characters were believable, and made choices and mistakes real humans might also make. If you are at all a fan of the Alien universe or good cinema you will love this film. However, if you are expecting a Hollywood blockbuster like Transformers or a token horror film, this film is not for you. Overall Prometheus is a brilliant film and a worthy revival of the Alien universe. Expand
  2. Jun 11, 2012
    Hard to imagine it's by the same director as Alien, it's so far away in tone, pace and a lot of the acting*.
    Like a remake for the short-attention-span generation, or a George Lucas prequel, there's enough happening for 5 movies, all rammed into 2 hours and with the odd 'big concept' thrown in there, with no time to make anything to seem believable.It seems borderline insane instead.
    Certainly entertaining though, can't say it's boring - I needed a few moment's silence after the end. Looks amazing in places too. However I don't think I'd want to see it again in a hurry and it.certainly won't be seen as a classic in 30 years.
    *There's some very dodgy supporting character acting, - the Scottish woman was particularly cringe-worthy.
  3. Jun 12, 2012
    This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer.This certainly was not a perfect film, but it was definitely a visual feast. Overally the story was good but not 100%. Prometheus didn't answer everything, which was the biggest thing that bugged me. It still left some things hanging, and the editing seemed spotty. It seemed like it was skipping around at times. I feel like this movie although already over 2 hours, should've been longer. The visuals (cgi and all) were certainly beautiful, and the acting was spot on as well. The main flaws in this movie were the editing and it seemed a bit corny at times to me, and it didn't seem to answer any questions either, i left the movie slightly confused, but overall this movie was slightly over par, but not by much, and if you are a fan of the alien franchise its worth the admission, but if you haven't even seen the alien films, you will have no idea whats going on. 6.5/10 Expand
  4. Jun 12, 2012
    I thought this movie had a really good story, great special effects, inspiring movie score, fantastic cinematography, creative creature design, and scary moments that were actually scary. I enjoyed every minute of it, however... the execution was off. The story had plot holes and the transition between scenes were awkward. Now, I know Ridley Scott has a tendency to make very long moviesI thought this movie had a really good story, great special effects, inspiring movie score, fantastic cinematography, creative creature design, and scary moments that were actually scary. I enjoyed every minute of it, however... the execution was off. The story had plot holes and the transition between scenes were awkward. Now, I know Ridley Scott has a tendency to make very long movies that are very difficult to edit for theatrical release. For example, his film Kingdom of Heaven suffered the same problem and it ruined the movie, but then the directors cut showed us the full version and everything flowed perfectly. I will give Ridley Scott the benefit of the doubt until I see the full version. The movie wasn't flawless do to some poor acting and lack of great characters, so I'm going with a 9. If I see the full version of this film, and it still has those plot holes or transition problems, then I will downgrade to an 8. I think everyone was expecting perfection, and we didn't get it, so the disappointment is resulting in lower user scores than it actually deserves. Expand
  5. Aug 26, 2012
    A grand and brilliant spin-off to ALIEN, PROMETHEUS provides great performances and impressive visuals, it is also a must see for fans of the ALIEN series. I loved this movie.
  6. Jun 16, 2012
    For those who have not seen this movie, let me offer you a spoiler. IT IS NOT GOOD. Please save your money in the hopes that it can be put to good use. Instead of telling you why this movie sucked (see any of the other red reviews), I will instead give you ideas of better ways to spend your $10.Buy 10 twinkies. Pay someone to rub your feet. Buy some jello. Buy a new pair of socks. Get aFor those who have not seen this movie, let me offer you a spoiler. IT IS NOT GOOD. Please save your money in the hopes that it can be put to good use. Instead of telling you why this movie sucked (see any of the other red reviews), I will instead give you ideas of better ways to spend your $10.Buy 10 twinkies. Pay someone to rub your feet. Buy some jello. Buy a new pair of socks. Get a haircut. Pay someone to clip your toenails. Buy a sandwich.

Ok, I could write all day betters ways to spend your movie money. Really, anything you do with the $10 you save will be better. I'm still beside myself that I sat through this movie with high expectations only to be kicked in the nuts and sent home with gum on my shoe. In typical 'Lost' fashion, the recipe the author of this movie uses is to put 100 vague incomprehensible ideas in a hat and pull them out randomly to form the basis of his script. He aspires to be a smart, profound writer but delivers an inane, insipid monstrosity of a script. The fact that people that this script was good is way scarier than the contents of the script. Is this movie supposed to contain fear or suspense? The most suspense I had was the black movie screen moments before the movie started. From there, it degenerates into a circus of laughable situations better suited to a sci-fi version of keystone cops than a credible drama or suspense movie. The writer(s) clearly feel much smarter and in tune with intellectualism than they can deliver. It took about 10 minutes into the movie before this frightening realization becomes apparent. Nothing in this movie can be adequately explained by either common sense or even the most elastic form of science fiction. Some scenes are so ridiculous in nature, I have to wonder how R. Scott could actually direct them with a straight face?! Well, the R. Scott of yesteryear would not have. I guess people do lose their wits when they get old. People go on about the effects and cinematography. Ahem...Really? It's nothing great at all! Wooooo some nice flyovers of a waterfall....geez people. There are 3 settings in this movie. The alien ship, which is dark and mostly hollow and uninteresting. The planet landscape, which is just some earthlike mountains and sand, and the prometheus ship with its neato sliding doors and flashy lights. BIG DEAL! Not great at all. Forgettable. Some mention the music, which is annoying. Too loud and ever present. They are trying to lull you into a trance so you will ignore the daft sillyness that takes place on screen. Only a moronic screen writer would think that a good movie means to drown you with loud whispy music, while dazzling your eyes with irrelevant visual effects, etc. etc. It's good for a commercial, which is basically what this movie is. A commercial for what I have no idea. I can only hope it's not advertising another movie like this......
  7. Jun 15, 2012
    An entertaining sci-fi movie, but some plot holes and head scratching character interaction keep this from being a classic. Prometheus is a movie that screams potential, but after hitting its stride in the 2nd act, it trips and faceplants in the 3rd. There are two majority groups here that unjustifiably overrate this movie and underrate this movie. People giving this movie an 8,9, or aAn entertaining sci-fi movie, but some plot holes and head scratching character interaction keep this from being a classic. Prometheus is a movie that screams potential, but after hitting its stride in the 2nd act, it trips and faceplants in the 3rd. There are two majority groups here that unjustifiably overrate this movie and underrate this movie. People giving this movie an 8,9, or a 10 claim that there are no holes (or you are stupid) and that this is an instant classic. The other group sees the gapping holes and silly character interactions and fail to see the aesthetic value of this movie. Lets be frank here, there are plot holes big enough that you can't formulate educated theories around. This is not as smart of a movie as it tries to be. The characters do not act realistically on numerous occasions and it breaks the immersion. However, every other part of the movie is very pleasing to the eyes and entertaining. Fassbender is the highlight of the movie and the movie is at its best when hes on screen. The movie throws in some fan service at the end that blatantly tries to connect it to alien, but fails to evoke more than a "wtf" pause. This movie is definitely worth a watch if you are a sci-fi fan, but make no mistake, this is no Inception in the "smart movie" department. An enjoyable, but frustrating experience. 7 out of 10. Expand
  8. X0R
    Jun 11, 2012
    Could have been a great film, but riddled with story holes, poor character involvement & development, awful dialogue ... typical for SciFi-Channel quality but not for a film that had a $120-million budget. So disappointing. And Ebert's sell-out review is disgusting....did he even watch the Alien series? He didn't even criticize this film for any of the plot flaws or terrible acting.
  9. Jun 11, 2012
    Terrible move. No suspense whatsoever. I kept waiting for the movie to get exciting but it never happened. The storyline stupid. No explanations of anything that was happening. I could barely tell it was a prequel to Alien.
  10. Jun 12, 2012
    Piece of ****
    They say it is a prequel, but you might has well seen a Harry Potter movie where a alien prances out of the woods at the end. Also, the aliens look like penises.
  11. Jun 12, 2012
    All I want to say is that most of these negative reviews really didn't absorb what this movie is. It's very complex, and in no way did I think for a moment that this movie was trying to be like 2001: A Space Odyssey.
    I'm not trying to sound pretentious here, but the movie does NOT deserve this low of a score, with millions of meat heads going straight to metacritic for spoonfed interpretations by movie critics that take away any sense of imagination and insight.
    Think of it this way, when Fight Club first came out, it got ripped to shreds by movie critics...after a few years for it to sink in and now it's a classic.

This movie gets a 10 from me. I went in, just to enjoy the ride, and I wasn't bored for a minute.
  12. Jun 13, 2012
    If you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by aIf you've already seen the trailer, then the movie's already been spoiled for you. For those who haven't, this is one of those tragic instances where some truly great elements are lost on what is undoubtedly the most unimaginative, unintelligent and uninspiring story of the year riddled with more loose ends then Alien appearances. While the dialogue isn't abysmal and is well acted out by a talented cast, the characters are all one dimensional at best. Although they hint that there may be more personality hidden below the surface, no actions are made to support any evidence of existence. There isn't a single fighter among the entire group and the heroine's unrealistic amount of luck in surviving a never ending onslaught of dangerous scenarios gives this an almost a Disney-like quality (in a bad way, i.e. John Carter) despite a complete and utter lack of reasons why we as the viewer would want to relate to, emulate, sympathize with, or watch this character. Her bravado is poorly paired with displays of lower-level aptitude, which is simply sad for a scientist. Other things to note are this film plays long (2 hours feels like 4) and anyone who's seen Aliens will no doubt find this (alleged prequel) to be an insult to its' memory. However, if you're looking for signature Ridley Scott shots, special effects and sequences there are some visually appealing parts of the film that make up for about 5 of the 127 minutes of the movie. If you're on the fence, watch the trailer and if you still want to see some nonsense for the purpose of amusement, go watch The Dictator- it's ridiculous as well, but in a good way and funny too. Expand
  13. Jun 17, 2012
    Yes, it did have enough visuals and mesmerizing cinematography to fascinate and rock to the very core the target group of people for whom this movie was made and heavily advertised. But to me, it's just another multi million dollars disappointment. Actually, the movie was so unexpectedly (considering the director) goofy and clumsy at some points, i felt fascinated by the fact that suchYes, it did have enough visuals and mesmerizing cinematography to fascinate and rock to the very core the target group of people for whom this movie was made and heavily advertised. But to me, it's just another multi million dollars disappointment. Actually, the movie was so unexpectedly (considering the director) goofy and clumsy at some points, i felt fascinated by the fact that such screenplay has been approved by a major studio. Probably it wouldn't have fared far at the box office if it wasn't for the viral marketing campaign. Expand
  14. Jun 8, 2012
    I went to the premiere of Prometheus a week ago and I really liked it. It's a solid sci-fi movie, it's much better if you think of it as just a sci-fi movie and not an Alien movie. I did think they left a bit too many questions unanswered and the ending scene was almost cringe-worthy but overall it's good. The effects are GREAT, the story for the most part is good and the space jockies (orI went to the premiere of Prometheus a week ago and I really liked it. It's a solid sci-fi movie, it's much better if you think of it as just a sci-fi movie and not an Alien movie. I did think they left a bit too many questions unanswered and the ending scene was almost cringe-worthy but overall it's good. The effects are GREAT, the story for the most part is good and the space jockies (or 'engineers') look cool. I wish I could give it a 9 but I think an 8 is a bit more appropriate for it. Still a good movie and I recommend it. Expand
  15. Jun 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Prometheus was staggeringly bad.

Part of this was that I was primed to be that Prometheus was going to be "about" something, and failing that, I thought it was going to be sci-fi horror on the scale of (or at least in the ballpark of) something like Alien. And it's Ridley Scott: The dude has made two sci-fi movies: Alien and Bladerunner: both classics of the genre. It's only going to get better, right?

So, let's start with the good: It's undeniable that the visuals are very striking. Some of the vistas made me want to race off to photograph them (even if they weren't real), and there was a real "internal logic" to the visual style and design of the human and alien environments that made the whole thing seem believable. As usual (and it's hard to fault Prometheus for this), 3d added little to the movie, save for the scenes with lasers and holographs both human and alien, where it helped with immersion. The other bright point is the robot (sorry, "Artificial person") David, played by Michael Fassbender, who steals most of the scenes he's in. He starts out in an earlier montage which influenced by TE Lawrence, _Moon_, and Desmond in the Hatch. After that, he manages to channel a role which is equal parts automaton, adolescent, menacing molester ("I saw your dreams"), and dutiful but ignored son, but closes in the role of toady.

Virtually everything else in this movie is average through awful. The writing is forced and wooden, and almost hurt to sit through. "Every king has his reign and then he dies" -- I guess channeling King Lear for dummies, but how forced. The plot was implausible and actually fairly uninteresting. The fact that this was pitched as a "big theme" movie had me excited. Instead, we have really hamfisted metaphors and a people working through parental issues in the dumbest and least interesting way possible.

The really damning failure of this movie is that it even fails as a suspense or a horror piece. I telegraphed most of what would happen very, very early in the movie. None of it was a surprise, the horror was all utterly predictable, and what little subtle there was in foreshadowing required you to already be a fan of Alien (no bad thing, but if that's what it takes to scare people...). There was just no new ground tread.

The theater I was in actually found itself laughing at some of the lines and situations. This was in no way intentional -- and in fact, when I ran into a friend at dinner (who'd just seen it), he said the way he'd enjoyed the film was to appreciate it as camp. Ouch.

Probably the best thing I could say is that there is enough sort of directionless "theme stuff" in the movie that you could hack together a good movie out of the pieces: but man, this isn't it.

It gets a 3/10 on the strength of the visuals. Normally they'd be nice enough to give it a 4/10, but I had to take off a point for the painfully bad old man makeup on Weyland. (another friend: "He looks like Biff from Back to the Future!"). I
    'm really sad about Prometheus, because I really had high expectations.
  16. Jun 8, 2012
    Watched Prometheus tonight and I enjoyed it. However be warned I liked it as I'm a Sci-Fi fan and if you are not then you probably won't like it. Slow moving with lots of talking, but for me as the talking was about the origin of life and nature of mankind, I can live with that. Even though this is a prequel to Alien its not as tense or doesn't have the action of Aliens. Even with that itsWatched Prometheus tonight and I enjoyed it. However be warned I liked it as I'm a Sci-Fi fan and if you are not then you probably won't like it. Slow moving with lots of talking, but for me as the talking was about the origin of life and nature of mankind, I can live with that. Even though this is a prequel to Alien its not as tense or doesn't have the action of Aliens. Even with that its well worth seeing in the Cinema in 3D as its gorgeous and the sense of scale is mesmerizing. Michael Fassbender is brilliant and steals the show even with Noomi Rapace doing an "OK" Ripley impression. Ridley Scott you did well by me. Expand
  17. Jun 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Big and beautiful film, which I enjoyed, but which had literally dozens of plot holes. I feel like a couple of guys got into a room and came up with the story, "yeah, and then when we charge the head, it comes alive, and then explodes, yeah, cool", and "we can make the robot kinda evil," but without any motivation to be? While if you can ignore so much nonsense, you will enjoy this movie, I can't help feeling, over and over, every time I see a big budget film that either the producers are stupid (because it would be so ridiculously easy to patch the plot holes), or they think I am. Expand
  18. Jun 9, 2012
    We have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angryWe have a contender for worst film of the year and its called Prometheus. I felt the movie struggled to identify itself. Is it a science fiction film? Horror? Adventure? A religious purgatory of some kind?? Who knows...who cares actually. I think the main focus of the film was to try and impress you with its special effects and sound and neglect the story completely. I was very angry and disappointed at the end of the film and felt like I should go to management and ask them for my money back. I feel this film is the equal to Star Wars the Phantom Menace minus the super annoying Jar Jar Binks. Just like Star Wars, there are moments in this film that I call WTF moments where you feel like throwing up your hands in the air and saying "ARE YOU KIDDING ME??" I HIGHLY recommending this film as a rental and don't see it in the theatre.
    Again, all this film is, is bells and whistles and if you dive into the actual story and character development while watching this film, you'll realize how poor of a film it is and you'll leave the theatre angry and confused. I'm still shocked and sad this film is as bad as it is.
  19. Jun 8, 2012
    Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific.Firstly, this review contains spoilers, so if you haven't seen the movie, not only are you lucky but also you probably don't want to read on. So here we go. First off how the hell does this film get even remotely positive reviews when it's so goddamn awful? Yes the special effects are great and Michael Fassbender is good but everything else about this film was quite frankly horrific. Such as:

The fact the â
  20. Jun 9, 2012
    If you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. OneIf you enjoyed the Aliens series, you will certainly enjoy this. Satisfiable cast. Remarkable visuals and environments. Delicious information into the Aliens series if the viewer likes that. Minimal gore scenes resulted in each one being unique and obvious to the amount of work put into it. Profound plots not entirely obvious to the viewer that the viewer should investigate. One character's makeup was very questionable. One scene was questionable, but could be reasoned. I want to watch it again. Expand
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    I love this movie, one of the best movies in years. It lived up to its hype. I normally can't stand 3-D movies, but the visual effects of this made it worth it. The acting was amazing, I especially loved how robotic Micheal Fassbender's movements were. Stellar cast, beautiful visual effects, I cannot gush enough about this movie. I felt a little of every emotion while watching this, II love this movie, one of the best movies in years. It lived up to its hype. I normally can't stand 3-D movies, but the visual effects of this made it worth it. The acting was amazing, I especially loved how robotic Micheal Fassbender's movements were. Stellar cast, beautiful visual effects, I cannot gush enough about this movie. I felt a little of every emotion while watching this, I laughed, I cried, I was speechless, my heart-stopped a few times, it was overall amazing. Definitely go see it, the midnight release was so worth it and I will happily see this again. Expand
  22. Jun 8, 2012
    A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie?A small crew explorers deep space financed by a corporation that has secret ambitions. The crew lands on an uncharted planet, discovers an alien species that hatches from pods, and inhabits the bodies of it's hosts. Everyone is killed except a sole surviving woman. Also there is an android on board who is emotionless and secret conspires with the agenda of the corporation. Name that movie? Alien - yes that's right. We would have also accepted 'Prometheus'. Seriously. I kept thinking that something original had to happen, but alas Hollywood has played me for the fool yet again by selling a movie that I have seen before but with better special effects. Prometheus is Alien with really impressive special effects, and thinly veiled sub plot, which is actually nothing more than posing questions which are never answered. Ironically they played a preview for 'Total Recall' before this movie. Apparently every original thought has been exhausted by Hollywood. Expand
  23. VTx
    Jun 8, 2012
    People always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien fromPeople always like to compare movies with another movies. Prometheus is a new movie, not a sequel or a prequel from the old movies, director said exactly the same thing. The production of the film is amazing, the story... a race more ancient, they create some life in a variety of planets including the alien. You see the first alien in the movie Prometheus or maybe he isn't the alien from "aliens movies" and is a new specie who knows.
    Maybe in the second movie the producers and writers will give us some answers when Shaw kill them, I bet s going to be more thriller.
  24. Jun 8, 2012
    It was a waste of time and money, would advice wait for it on blue ray not worth going to the movies to watch this crap. It starts off great than all of a sudden you meet the crew and none seem to be likeable. the main character is annoying and so is here boyfriend who seems like a douchebag
  25. Jun 10, 2012
    Another great Ridley Scott movie, he is a great director, it has awesome special effects and it has to much suspense, and we have a great performance by a new movie star, Michael Fassbender, who is really popular at the moment
  26. Jul 1, 2012
    My review is mostly a response to the negative reviews for the film , which I find really shocking. I want to adress the criticisms. One common complaint is that there is poor character development, which leads us to not care when crew members die. But considering there are 17 members on board, while alien had a crew of maybe 7 or so, it would be impossible to develop all 17 characters inMy review is mostly a response to the negative reviews for the film , which I find really shocking. I want to adress the criticisms. One common complaint is that there is poor character development, which leads us to not care when crew members die. But considering there are 17 members on board, while alien had a crew of maybe 7 or so, it would be impossible to develop all 17 characters in 2 hours while still focusing on the main plot of the film. The rest of the crew is as expendable to the plot as they were to the weyland corperation who employed them. The main focus of the film, IMO, was to expand upon te mythology hinted at in the first alien film, while creating new questions as well. I don't see people complaining about the unanswered questions in Ridleys original alien film, so why all the complaints about "plot holes and unanswered questions" here? It seems pretty obvious that this Mbps intentionally created new questions aout the space jockey race, and expanded the universe, rather than just throwing a bunch of xenomorphs on screen and making an obvious alien prequel, which would have been a lot easier and certainly less risky from a creative standpoint. Another complaint I have seen is that the crew was "too dumb" to be scientists and that their behavior was absurd or not realistic in some way. Well guess what, humans are typically dumb, fearful, and weak. Just look at the history of our world and it becomes obvious. The plot wanted to emphasize that even though humans have developed and advanced in terms of technology, our minds are just as primitive as ever, which our creators, the space jockeys, definitely realized. Why should it be surprising that these people would behave irrationally when xonfronted with unknown species on a brand new planet? Some of the people criticizing the film seem to think that scientists are somehow super humans or something. Guess what, they are just ordinary people like you or I, who focused their time and energy on scientific pursuits, in this case they wanted to discover the origins of a species they believed to be the creators of mankind. I fail to see where the plot holes lie, why people expect 17 characters to be fully developed and focused on even though they are not integral to they key plot points, or how this film is any way close to a travesty like the star wars prequels. This did not conflict with alien in any way, it only expanded upon the universe presented there. The fact that the scientists decided to go on an expedition primarily based upon faith does not equal a plot hole. Since when does a scientist have to be a cold calculating machine based on hard facts? It seems obvious that they were meant to be complex characters with multiple beliefs and motives, just like people in the...wait for it...real world. The android of David is the opposite, as he serves his programming primarily, which reflects the inherit flaws on humanity which cause us to follow our beliefs and gut instincts, sometimes to our downfall. The film encapsulated these themes beautifully, all while expressing masterful special effects, beautiful cinematography, and an open ended ending whic leaves us with more questions wondering "whats next?" Rather than making a predictable alien prequel, Ridley Scott did so much more, and did not spoon feed the audience the answers we so desperately crave as the audience, and as humans. A lack of answers does not equal a plot hole, and this movie was a burst of fresh air in a world of predictable sequels remakes and overall unoriginal ideas. The fact that there is so much criticism for this movie baffles me, and I feel it truly deserves much more praise than it has received. Expand
  27. Jun 23, 2012
    Wow, so many haters. This was the best movie I have seen in years. Epic acting, bloody, nasty scenes, and a very well structured story. I slept during most of the Avengers movie, but in this one i couldn't even blink. **** the haters.
  28. Jul 11, 2012
    One of the best sci-fi movies of all time warrants a score in the mid-60s? Sorry, but that one is far too low. In a gripping tale of a 2001 - A Space Odyssey adventure, characters and cinematography meet in a great yarn about the source of life.

Admittedly, this is not original material. One can see monsters, android and space ship seat from Alien to the degree that one must ask if the owners of the rights to those movies either licensed their art or are preparing a suit against everyone involved in this movie unless they are all owed by the same people.

But the scenes continue to mark new territory as Ridley Scott certainly knows how to get under your skin and make the whole thing plausible. In the end, you leave happy to have spent your money, especially if seen in 3D iMax.

Highly recommended.
  29. Jul 14, 2012
    This film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tackedThis film's much lauded visuals are a combination of drab and video game CGI. The audio was totally forgettable other than sounding vaguely like some other films. The "plot" had more holes than a movie of that length should conceivably be able to contain. Characters were the kind you want to forget and probably will. The 'deep thought provoking open ended questions' that are lazily tacked on at the beginning and given minimal followup rank right up there with "Ancient Aliens" started Thanksgiving. Expand
  30. Sep 20, 2012
    I thought this movie was fantastic. There is alot of thought provoking material within the film unfortunately it is often just glossed over and it could have been explained a little stronger. The character development is handicapped too but having seen alot of the deleted material that will be put
    in the soon to be released DVD/Blu Ray, its nice to see some of the characters explained a little better. It's a confusing film at times and offers more questions that answers and I think that frustrates some people. I found it absolutely intriguing. Visually the movie is stunning. A top notch film from a top notch film maker.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Jun 11, 2012
    Scott may always have had an eye on the box office, but from "Alien" and "Thelma & Louise" on, he has made women into heroines. In that regard, he's still ahead of the curve. Rapace's scene is a classic of its kind; it tops John Hurt's notorious misfortunes in "Alien."
    It's a different sort of experience: a stately, somewhat plodding but endurable science-fiction saga.
    There's definite mastery here, but it's hardly a masterpiece.