Universal Pictures | Release Date: July 1, 2009
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 437 Ratings
Watch Now
TomM.Jul 11, 2009
Shocking. Boring throughout. Not enough actions scenes and never got going.
RobertI.Jul 11, 2009
Beautifully crafted, emotionally void, an inevitably doomed figure lurching toward his end, accompanied by gunfire and grave chordal progressions. Chorus toward an end.
SusanS.Jul 13, 2009
I left the theater not quite sure whether or not I liked this film--there were some brilliant moments, but at times it felt quite scattered and clumsy. Like one critic said above, there seemed to be no reason to make this film--I kept I left the theater not quite sure whether or not I liked this film--there were some brilliant moments, but at times it felt quite scattered and clumsy. Like one critic said above, there seemed to be no reason to make this film--I kept catching glimpses of that, but it's like Michael Mann tried so hard to make everything so subtle that the whole film ends up getting lost. It really just made me want to watch The Assassination of Jesse James again, as that is a brilliant artsy gangster film, and this was just kind of rambling and lost in its own seeming profoundness. Expand
JoshW.Jul 13, 2009
An absolute classic. Great film. Historically accurate, amazingly told. Only problem is it's a bit slow. If it was half an hour shorter it would be the best film this year.
MarylynnC.Jul 17, 2009
2 1/2 hours of boredom, blurry film, empty dialogue, shaky handicams, undeveloped characters, incoherent plot development, and disgraceful audio quality. Home movies have been made with better quality. Other than that, it gets five because 2 1/2 hours of boredom, blurry film, empty dialogue, shaky handicams, undeveloped characters, incoherent plot development, and disgraceful audio quality. Home movies have been made with better quality. Other than that, it gets five because it did have SOME good shots and some interesting scenes. Not to mention the actors Depp and Bale who kept the thing afloat. Expand
MartinJul 18, 2009
This has to be the dullest, and probably the worst gangster film I have ever seen. After the first hour, I wished that I had rented The Untouchables on video rather than waste 20 bucks on this piece of crap. Poorly edited, poorly paced, and This has to be the dullest, and probably the worst gangster film I have ever seen. After the first hour, I wished that I had rented The Untouchables on video rather than waste 20 bucks on this piece of crap. Poorly edited, poorly paced, and long, the movie utterly fails as a gangster film. Especially given that everybody knows how this movie ends, Mann somehow manages to drag the finale out a full hour past when the film should have reached its natural conclusion. So how does it do as a character study? Not much better, actually. I didn't care about any of the characters, either the cops or the criminals. Depp is horribly miscast as Dillinger, and you never get beyond the cool veneer to understand what drove this man. The love story between him and his girlfriend is similarly pointless and uninvolving. Finally, the contrast between Dillinger and Purvis also falls flat, with only one scene where the two characters are on screen together. So for all of those who have not yet seen this film, ignore the positive reviews - these critics are either horribly misguided, or maybe they hang out with Mr. Mann. Whatever the case, it is hard to see this movie as anything but an unmitigated disaster. Expand
JT.Jul 18, 2009
Without question the best movie I've seen this summer. Very well written and executed. It starts off a bit slow but definately picks up after the first 30 minutes or so. Sound was a little off - not the best editiing in the world but Without question the best movie I've seen this summer. Very well written and executed. It starts off a bit slow but definately picks up after the first 30 minutes or so. Sound was a little off - not the best editiing in the world but over all two thumbs up on this one! Expand
AveryG.Jul 19, 2009
All the energy seems to have been put into research. The movie is a bore. The cinematography looks like it was shot with a cellphone, the dialog is alternately too low or too loud, the music is dreary, the shootouts have been staged with no All the energy seems to have been put into research. The movie is a bore. The cinematography looks like it was shot with a cellphone, the dialog is alternately too low or too loud, the music is dreary, the shootouts have been staged with no choreographic imagination, just bang bang bang, no gags or pieces of business. It's lazy, with just one good scene: when Depp walks into the police station. Expand
JohnDJul 21, 2009
I hated this film. The cinematography was poor, the acting nothing special, the script horrible, the whole movie was a complete waste of time. Very big disappointment.
NickA.Jul 29, 2009
Depp's Dillinger is exciting character to watch. The robbery scenes are intense I thought the over all movie was worth paying the movie ticket price
MikenN.Jul 29, 2009
Really dug this film. Only film I ever saw where the digital filming actually made the film better, or at least more interesting. One big gripe: Goldenthal, fantastic composer...sadly, every time his music came in it did not fit, likely due Really dug this film. Only film I ever saw where the digital filming actually made the film better, or at least more interesting. One big gripe: Goldenthal, fantastic composer...sadly, every time his music came in it did not fit, likely due to the HD camera. The composed music seemed forced, and distracting. Yet, great film. Expand
PGJul 31, 2009
An unfortunate waste of time and disappointment considering it's actors. No real purpose to the show other than to detail the idiocy of the characters.
TonyO.Aug 13, 2009
Not bad, but a bit unnecessary. Depp is fine, Bale slightly less so. Lots of machine gun fights, some dull car chases, lots of mildly interesting gang interactions which lead nowhere in particular, and (of course) the obligatory OTT torture Not bad, but a bit unnecessary. Depp is fine, Bale slightly less so. Lots of machine gun fights, some dull car chases, lots of mildly interesting gang interactions which lead nowhere in particular, and (of course) the obligatory OTT torture scene that every American crime movie seems to have these days. But it is a french/native american woman that gets tortured by brutal fat FBI agents, so no harm done! All in all, vapid narrative, but well directed. Expand
SandyMAug 24, 2009
Loved it! Johnny Depp was perfectly cast as Dillinger and very believable. Marion, who played Billie Frechette, his girlfriend had an ethereal look about her that you just couldn't take your eyes off her. They were absolute magic on Loved it! Johnny Depp was perfectly cast as Dillinger and very believable. Marion, who played Billie Frechette, his girlfriend had an ethereal look about her that you just couldn't take your eyes off her. They were absolute magic on screen. Though it was bloody and violent, it was not overly so since this is a gangster movie about bank robbers and a man who was and lived a very violent life. Loved the charm and brashness that Depp portrayed in the role. And loved the original Chicago scenery. Expand
JoeMDec 16, 2009
Public Enemies is a fantastic film that requires multiple viewings to really appreciate the internal battle that these characters are facing. This is Michael Mann at the top of his form, with his spectacular use of HD to give the film a Public Enemies is a fantastic film that requires multiple viewings to really appreciate the internal battle that these characters are facing. This is Michael Mann at the top of his form, with his spectacular use of HD to give the film a cutting edge yet old school feel, Depp is amazing and the supporting cast is also great, the one minor flaw that this film has is that you never really end up caring for christian bales character who is not in it a ton but enough to be noticeable. In the end this is a must see film that has one of the best endings in recent memory. Expand
MiKEDec 23, 2009
What a bore of a movie!!!! Very dull action, felt like a low buget movie. AVOID!
Tss5078Nov 12, 2013
The producers of this film would like you to think it is a modern version of the Untouchables, but anyone who has seen this film will tell you it's far from it. It's not that Public Enemies was a bad movies, but a lot of people panned itThe producers of this film would like you to think it is a modern version of the Untouchables, but anyone who has seen this film will tell you it's far from it. It's not that Public Enemies was a bad movies, but a lot of people panned it because they expected a lot more from a 100 million dollar movie, starting Johnny Depp and Christian Bale, and they have a point. The story was flawed right from the beginning because the true story behind it really wasn't that interesting. The filmmakers tried to get people to watch it, by saying that Dillinger and Purvis were comparable to Capone and Ness, but that's not true. In reality, they had almost no interaction with each other and in the movie, whenever they were together, all they did was shoot at each other. There wasn't any chemistry between them, because their supposed rivalry was a fictions element added to an otherwise true story. The film should have focused on infamous bank robber, John Dillinger, but instead it focuses on the FBI hunt for him and his life on the run, long after the bulk of his crimes had been committed. Johnny Depp portrays Dillinger in an attempt to go back to being a legitimate actor instead of a Disney puppet, and he fails miserably. This guy can be one hell of actor, when the role fits his personality, but John Dillinger does not. Depp is an emotionless mess of mumbled lines that almost completely destroy the film. Thankfully, Christian Bale was much better and far more interesting. Public Enemies had big expectations, an all-star cast, and a huge budget, but it turned out to be an average film. That's what had people so upset, because had this been an independent film, they would have been okay with it. The fact that Public Enemies was billed as the next Untouchables, but fails to deliver even a single memorable scene just destroys any credibility the film had going for it. Expand
oxanaAug 25, 2014
I was looking forward to this because I'm a fan of both Depp and Bale (and yes; I recognized David Wenham, too!). All in all I liked the movie, but I also felt mildly disappointed. I had heard from people that "Public Enemies" is good, andI was looking forward to this because I'm a fan of both Depp and Bale (and yes; I recognized David Wenham, too!). All in all I liked the movie, but I also felt mildly disappointed. I had heard from people that "Public Enemies" is good, and maybe I expected too much.

The acting seemed a little stiff. Johnny Depp's Dillinger was charming, determined, and slightly obsessed with certain ideas (protecting and taking care of his own was one of them). For some reason he just didn't manage to be as smooth and charming as I expected him to be. Christian Bale's Purvis was actually even worse; Bale isn't the smoothest of guys most of the time, but here it was as if someone had stuck a metal rod up along his spine. He had his moments, but they were too few. All in all the characters were introduced very poorly and aside from the main faces, it was hard to keep up.

There were some extremely funny moments, most of them with Dillinger. The plot in and on itself was on the border of spinning out of control, though; it wasn't very smooth, there was no clear pace in it, and when you thought you would be allowed to breathe for a moment, that didn't last for very long.

When you thought the movie was going to end, it just kept pushing forward. The end was bittersweet and simple, which I liked. Life tends to be that way, after all.

The soundtrack shone with its absence in most scenes. The gunfire, on the other hand, was almost disturbing; it was loud, and I'm sure it sounded pretty real, but for some reason it just felt like 'too much'. The shaky style of camera work also added to the chaos of not knowing who was who and what was really going on. Faces and names kept flying along with the bullets, agendas were thrown into the mix and then not mentioned again for another hour, and in the end they had a very realistic yet somewhat confusing film.

So, looking at it like that, perhaps the story of the movie was very good, and all the other elements ate at it from the very beginning.
csw12Dec 18, 2012
Some movies just seem bad right from the start and Public Enemies is one of them. The screenplay, acting, editing, music and the way the entire film was produced is idiotic. A typical gangster film with violence, horse racing and lots of death.
Compi24Mar 3, 2015
In "Public Enemies," stale characters are ultimately washed over by spectacular set pieces and brilliant digital aesthetics from the one and only Michael Mann.
LoRevisorJan 16, 2015
Johnny Depp é incrível até como vilão,Christian Bale é excelente como detetive.
Michael Mann dirige brilhantemente a história de John Dillinger,contém ótimas cenas de tiroteio,perseguição e atuações Marion Cottilard também é impressionante.
Johnny Depp é incrível até como vilão,Christian Bale é excelente como detetive.
RayzorMooseNov 16, 2013
Public Enemies is really just a biography.
Public Enemies is really just a biography.
Some were disappointed with the execution of this gangster movie, but it wasn't just a "gangster movie" it was the factual biography of John Dillinger. The movie succeeds with accomplishing that aspect, but fails to be very interesting or exciting. The characters aren't very likeable although the performances are great. Just an okay movie that is a factual representation of a notorious gangster.
FelixKovacJan 22, 2015
This is definitely one of Micheal Mann's most underrated movies, and here's why:
- This movie was very well directed.
- The acting, for the most part, was excellent. - And the story was more than interesting. Even if I love the crime
- This movie was very well directed.
- The acting, for the most part, was excellent.
- And the story was more than interesting.

Even if I love the crime sub-genre of movies in general, it's actually my favorite, but if I had to pick a flaw that most of them have in common, it would be the lack of humanity (I don't mean being nice) in the main character. For example, most gangster movies would describe their main character as a heartless criminal, and nothing else.
In "Public Enemies" though, this wasn't a problem. They give enough complexity to John Dillinger (Johnny Depp) to make the audience understand and even feel bad for him when he's going through a problem or something like that.
Christian Bale is always a good actor, and this is no exception, even if it seemed that he tried a bit to hard to pull off the "redneck" accent (when I say redneck, I mean a really NOT subtle American accent).

Finally, I found the story very intriguing. I wish I could talk about my favorite scene in the movie, but it would really great if you watched the movie (preferably by yourself).

And you you read this entire review, thanks, I really appreciate it!