6.7

1. Nov 26, 2012
    One of the finest films of it's decade or any decade. Martin Scorsese painted not only a pretty picture but a beautiful and profound one as well. When I see this movie my breath is taken by the masterful acting ability of the great Robert De Niro. This is sure to make you hate but pitty him at the same time. Breathtaking just pure genius.
  2. Mar 15, 2011
    One of the all time greatest movies. I can't find a goddamn thing that's wrong with this. I'll say that this is better than "Goodfellas" or "Taxi Driver"
  3. ashrafn.
    Feb 9, 2005
    Why oh why do people who rate movies so low are included? especially when its as great and compelling as this!
  4. NiallD.
    Jul 8, 2004
    Best Movie Everrr!!!
  5. LawrenceP.
    Feb 8, 2005
    This masterpiece didn't win best picture oscar? What a crime! This is the best movie made by all the people who are involved.
  6. SpokB.
    Mar 7, 2004
    Absolutely stunning portrayal of a man realising where his demons lie ! Amazing fight sequences and a stunning performance from De Niro.
  7. CalH.
    Feb 16, 2005
    Genius.
  8. VincentA.
    May 14, 2005
    The GREATEST MOVIE from Martin Scorsese period.
  9. liams.
    Mar 5, 2005
    It was so good it was like ringing my ears it was just sooo good! Even thogh it was very bloody but that did not stop me from wathing it. It had the best acting ever i mean like the bloode and everthing looked real. please buy it, it is the best movie in history!
  10. JaredS.
    Oct 8, 2005
    Arguably the greatest movie of the past thirty years. Many critics regard this film as probably the last "great achievement" in American cinema...and for good reason. DeNiro is Oh-My-God good as Jake LaMotta. The film is both hard to take and beautiful to look at, which is probably why so many people nowadays have a hard time watching it. A single frame of this film has more depth than Arguably the greatest movie of the past thirty years. Many critics regard this film as probably the last "great achievement" in American cinema...and for good reason. DeNiro is Oh-My-God good as Jake LaMotta. The film is both hard to take and beautiful to look at, which is probably why so many people nowadays have a hard time watching it. A single frame of this film has more depth than the last four "Best Picture" winners put together. Quite an accomplishment on Scorsese's part. An American masterpiece. Expand
  11. TravisG.
    Oct 3, 2004
    Perhaps, the greatest performance ever filmed. By far, the best film to come out of the 1980s. Rober De Niro completly embodies Jake LaMotta; mentally and physically. From gaining the build of a middle-weight champion, to the size of an obese night club owner, De Niro becomes this man. The editing of the film is perfect, especially in the fight sequences. With the flash of camera light Perhaps, the greatest performance ever filmed. By far, the best film to come out of the 1980s. Rober De Niro completly embodies Jake LaMotta; mentally and physically. From gaining the build of a middle-weight champion, to the size of an obese night club owner, De Niro becomes this man. The editing of the film is perfect, especially in the fight sequences. With the flash of camera light bulbs, devasting punches, and sweat and blood flying, it makes for a violent ballet that reflects the soul of LaMotta. The score is brilliant as graceful classical music creates irony to the world of gore and jealousy that exists in the movie. And oh yeah...it is directed by Martin Scorcese. Expand
  12. AlexF.
    Mar 12, 2005
    My personal favourite.
  13. IllyaZ.
    May 30, 2005
    Intense and amazing!
  14. DanC.
    Apr 14, 2004
    Scorsese's best film. De Niro's best performance. One of the top ten of all time. 'Nuff said.
  15. MatthewS.
    Nov 17, 2005
    Stunning. Brilliant acting performaces from Dinero and cast, ex movie duringcellent directing, and cinematography. Pause the during beginning scenes in the Bronx. They are beautiful stillshots.
  16. ArmandoS.
    Jan 22, 2005
    My favorite Scorsese film - should have won the oscar - Robert De Niro is brilliant.
  17. RyanM.
    Feb 11, 2005
    "Greatest" and "all-time" are words I gladly use on multiple occasions when speaking of Martin Scorsese's ingeious biopic. This is one of the greatest films of all-time, with one of the greatest performances of all-time.
  18. AkhilK
    Jul 27, 2005
    Granted its a masterpiece. Yet its uneven pacing and its weaker moments lend it an unnerving ride that must be endured to get to its bitter and incredible ending.
  19. Oct 26, 2010
    Fantastic acting and a interesting story about jake lomatta a boxer from the old days of boxing . its a rise and demise story from lomaata's beginings to his fall . the guy certanly led a interesting life and deniro and peci really bring thoose charicters to life . the black and white look to the film really gives it that 50's era feel to it. if you like films based on true storys this isFantastic acting and a interesting story about jake lomatta a boxer from the old days of boxing . its a rise and demise story from lomaata's beginings to his fall . the guy certanly led a interesting life and deniro and peci really bring thoose charicters to life . the black and white look to the film really gives it that 50's era feel to it. if you like films based on true storys this is deffinitly a must see. Expand
  20. May 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Scorsese's beautifully shot masterpiece is still an electrifying moment that is almost as grand as Citizen Kane itself.

Raging Bull can definitely be the best film from the 1980s and one undeniably triumphant biography drama ever made. Robert De Niro's tough to the core lightning worthy performance is cinematic history as this epic depicts the rise and fall of the controversial heavyweight boxing champ Jake LaMotta also know as the Bronx Bull.

Jake LaMotta is at the height of his boxing career in the early 1940s as he pits himself against the toughest boxers to ever hit the boxing ring of New York, however his rage-filled ambition and lack of focus to be the frontline contender is held back when his personal and private life begins to be driven into the battlefield of his inner rage and everything that is his life takes a massive down turn for the worst.

However even the final outcome still shows us that behind every boxing story is a legendary story about confronting reality with whats left of your guts. Scorsese and DeNiro both did an astounding work to bring LaMotta's career into the spotlight and make it interesting for many audiences alike, (also featuring Joe Pesci and Cathy Moriarty in their major screen debuts as brother and wife who are treated as heels) its a beautiful film with awesome film editing, graceful score, and a favorable lush cinematography of pure black and white that makes it climatic, suspenseful, dramatic, overpowering and exhilarating and remarkably one of the greatest pictures in motion picture history and a certified classic, not to be missed
  21. Nov 15, 2012
    Raging Bull is the best boxing movie ever made, even better than 'Rocky.' I do; however, use the term 'boxing movie' loosely, as both 'Raging Bull' and 'Rocky' are character studies.
  22. Apr 22, 2014
    I have watched and re-watched Raging Bull many times. And everytime I do, I walk away from the film wondering why it's held in such high regard. Then I convince myself that I must be missing something and I go back watch it again. Rinse repeat. I love Scorsese and DeNiro but for whatever reason, Raging Bull feels like a kitchen sink drama with boxing sequences. Maybe this film will foreverI have watched and re-watched Raging Bull many times. And everytime I do, I walk away from the film wondering why it's held in such high regard. Then I convince myself that I must be missing something and I go back watch it again. Rinse repeat. I love Scorsese and DeNiro but for whatever reason, Raging Bull feels like a kitchen sink drama with boxing sequences. Maybe this film will forever be a mystery to me. Oh well... Expand
  23. Jul 19, 2014
    Raging bull is an overrated film that deserves appreciation for its stylish technique .however it is uninteresting, unengaging and uninvolving.There is absolutely no character we relate to. In the end , it is all about style , photography and editing but no substance.
  24. FrankL.
    Feb 9, 2005
    Boring, pompous and vastly over-rated because of the Scorsese "genius." Nero over-acts just as badly fat as he does skinny. For a far better movie about a has-been boxer, try John Huston's understated, under-rated Fat City.
  25. SolusR.
    Feb 8, 2005
    The most overrated movie in history. Give me Con Air any day.
  26. Jul 10, 2011
    This movie SUCKED!! I'm sorry I'm totally going against the crowd on this one. It's boring & long and it felt like a chore watching it. I really wanted to like it. I really tried, but you know what if a movie is really that good (according to critics)why should you try to like it? Man I freakin hate this movie. ALL boxing movies are better than this crap Rocky 1-6, Million Dollar Baby, andThis movie SUCKED!! I'm sorry I'm totally going against the crowd on this one. It's boring & long and it felt like a chore watching it. I really wanted to like it. I really tried, but you know what if a movie is really that good (according to critics)why should you try to like it? Man I freakin hate this movie. ALL boxing movies are better than this crap Rocky 1-6, Million Dollar Baby, and The Fighter are MUCH better. I know why the critics love this movie because it's bold and so vastly different from any other film. You know what that's very true. It is bold and vastly different, but in a VERY BAD way. (semi-spoiler) It's literally just about a douchebag boxer. He doesn't go though a change or journey or anything it just shows his life. He beats his brother & wife. He cusses alot. He kisses an underage girl(well she really didn't look underage) and the movie literally just ends in a random spot. I don't even care about the real story now because he was such a douche.However, he wasn't like an awesome villain douche or anything. It's not like he was the Joker,Hannibal Lecture, or Darth Vader. He was simply a douche that I didn't care about, and wasn't interested in. This movies overrated and people are just saying it's a masterpiece to follow the trend. Well F**k that. Eff this movie and Eff what the critics say. I respect peoples opinions, and if you like this movie fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Just don't annoy me about it to watch it because I did and it was a terrible waste of my time. Expand
  27. Nov 8, 2010
    Yet another vastly overrated "classic". The whole time Lamotta is just being a meathead with a terrible temper. I'm a huge De Niro and Scorsese fan (Goodfellas, Casino), and that's why I gave it the 3, but I just don't get why people overhype this film so much? I will say this though, De Niro does a great job of making you hate Lamotta.
  28. Mike
    Feb 15, 2008
    I liked the beginning, but then it became soooo boring!! I bought the movie because I "heard" it was soooo great. What a waste!
  29. May 24, 2011
    Intense Movie, brilliant De Niro, but sometimes story writing is a bit weak................................................150 characters, there you go
  30. Oct 25, 2013
    The epic sports drama. Martin Scorsese's magnum opus, and Robert De Niro's as well. His performance is starkly authentic and amusing and all of the positive aspects of an actor put together. 'Ordinary People' is completely overrated.
  31. Nov 24, 2014
    One of the few perfect movies out, and that is no exaggeration, (the others being the godfather, 2001: a space odyssey, and grave of the fireflies.)

Robert de Niro gives the performance of his lifetime as jake Lamotta, a violent, angry, pro-boxer, who goes through, fights, title shots, the mafia, domestic troubles, and the police. But his is not the only great performance, joe Pesci plays his brother joe Lamotta (coincidently) one of jakes few friends in his fight against the world, and Cathy Moriarty plays his wife who can't escape his fury.

Martin Scorsese's ultimate triumph is better than anything else he has ever directed, and that's saying something. The movie has some of the most gorgeous cinematography in any movie ever. The movie's screenplay comes right of the page of jake Lamotta's autobiography.

I'm the end I don't know if I can recommend it enough
  32. MosesR.
    Jul 2, 2006
    The greatest biopic of all times....the portrayal of Jake La Motta could not have been done by anyone besides De Niro.
  33. Mr.Hankey
    Apr 22, 2006
    This goes as one of Scorcese's classics along with Taxi Driver. Yes it is violent in a boxing way and an abusive way but still you will find superb directing and one of the best performances Deniro has ever given to the screen. Deniro does a fine job of playing Jake LaMotta because he really captures LaMotta as a jealous and as I said before abusive man. By the end of the movie you This goes as one of Scorcese's classics along with Taxi Driver. Yes it is violent in a boxing way and an abusive way but still you will find superb directing and one of the best performances Deniro has ever given to the screen. Deniro does a fine job of playing Jake LaMotta because he really captures LaMotta as a jealous and as I said before abusive man. By the end of the movie you realize that you may have sat through one of the greatest 80's movies of all time. Expand
  34. AndrewH.
    Jun 23, 2006
    Required viewing for anyone who likes movies.
  35. TimJ
    Jul 21, 2007
    Just brilliant. One of my favorites. I also love the critical comments from Dave Kehr of the Chicago Reader. You have to wonder at some point if he questions his taste.
  36. othostice
    Jun 30, 2008
    I lived in Chicago when Kehr was the critic for the Reader. He hated EVERYTHING that wasn't subtitled. What a pretentious little twit. Where is he now? Blogging and writing a column on DVDs for the NYT. If you hate the classics, no one takes you seriously after a while.
  37. JamesM
    Nov 19, 2005
    One of the greatest films of all time? Certainly not. But what it attempts to do it does well: it has magnificent cinematography, brutal boxing scenes, relationship disputes, and of course you feel out of breath and exhausted when it is all over. But it fails in a nuber of areas, such as the pacing and, like all Scorcese movies, it doesn't quite know what it wants to focus on.
  38. MattH.
    Apr 18, 2006
    Martin Scorsese's ultimate masterpiece. Quite simply the greatest American film ever made, featuring the greatest performance in the history of cinema.
  39. Aug 24, 2010
    Martin Scorsese's biopic of boxing champion Jake La Motta.
    Robert De Niro is outstanding playing the insecure, paranoid & not particularly pleasant La Motta. With the later scenes after La Motta had retired, it's hard to believe this is still De Niro playing the same character as the transformation is so good.
    Joe Pesci is very good for his portrayal of Joey La Motta, Jake's brother. The
    Martin Scorsese's biopic of boxing champion Jake La Motta.
    Joe Pesci is very good for his portrayal of Joey La Motta, Jake's brother.
    The fantastic music is also definitely worth an extra point for the great way in which it was used.
  40. Jun 15, 2011
    This is one of the greatest movies ever made starred by the great Robert De Niro....all the quotes used in this movie are absolutely fantastic! Joe Pesci's acting was perfect....love this quote : 'if u win, u win, if u lose, u still win!'
  41. Apr 1, 2012
    A stunning film that you will rediscover every time you see it. Robert de Niro also gives the best performance of his career. The fight scenes in the film are the best boxing scenes of any film.
  42. Jul 8, 2012
    A great movie, directed to the point of perfection, the acting was great and the movie felt very real to me, the one problem i had was not with the directing or acting, but with the production. The black and white hurt my eyes and made it hard to tell what was what, but it is a movie I recommend to anyone asking
  43. Jan 10, 2014
    Brilliantly acted and directed as expected, but it felt like something was missing. I can tell why this one is a classic, but there was something off about this, which bugged me a bit, but not a ton. One of the best sports films for sure and definitely deserving of the praise it has received.
  44. Aug 4, 2012
    Wonderful movie, an absolute classic. I can't quite give it a ten (that score is reserved for the absolute masterpieces), but it comes close, very close. De Niro and Pesci are mesmeric, beautiful and flawless performances that captivate and enthral from the first moment to the last. This should be seen by everybody, its about as good as modern film making gets.
  45. Oct 16, 2012
    Best movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupidBest movies I've seen in this year is Looper and batman the dark knight rises ,my all time favorite movie's are The Godfather (1972) .Taxi Driver (1976). Carrie (1976). Scarface (1983). GoodFellas (1990) . Raging Bull (1980) .Casino (1995) there masterpiece movies, what i don't like are the silly remakes why a new carrie movie ? this is the 4th movie carrie the made it's just stupid ,Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are absolutely perfect ,they both got Oscar nominations out of it, for God sake! Expand
  46. Dec 14, 2013
    Raging Bull is not so much about boxers as it is about the everyday life of them. In this case, Jake LaMotta is an insecure piteous brute of a man who knows no better. He does not inspire admiration as athletes in other sports might. The story is not about someone getting somewhere, but about the experience itself, with all the highs and lows, and the final decline.

The plot follows two

The plot follows two brothers as they see good and bad times together as the elder LaMotta challenges this boxer and that during the 1940s. The Mafia who runs the show always seems to have a hand in everything and keep the belt out of his grasp. Jake's obsessive behaviour toward his wife Vickie also makes up the major part of the plot. Her every gesture and remark is taken out of context and exaggerated beyond reason.

Robert De Niro tackles yet another complicated character for his friend Scorsese. Jake is a whack job who aims big but doesn't know how to present himself. Joey LaMotta (Joe Pesci), Jake's brother, is his manager. He is also short on temper but at least he's sane enough to recognize the importance of keeping up appearances and does his best to keep his brother's public image intact. Joe Pesci does a decent job portraying him as a tentative over-shadowed little brother who has accepted his place and goes along with the occasional bullying until it's too much.

Jake never seems to fully accept his good fortune of getting it on with his sweetheart Vickie (Cathy Moriarty), who he suspects of cheating at every turn. This suspicion threatens everything in his life. At first you might feel sorry for what he has to go through but as his family begins to suffer by his maniac outbursts, you can't help but be sympathetic to everyone but Jake.

Vickie seems without emotion at first but as time passes some hints of her humanness pass through the filter. Moriarty does a splendid job in making her a sympathetic character even in the middle of the endless hints at her infidelity. She plays her with a laid-back, subtle approach, and feels plastic at times until she shows her quirks occasionally. I admired her greatly, and felt like if a woman carried herself like this, she is bound to have her man, or men in general, follow her around like puppies.

Shot in black and white, the picture evokes a time when this was the standard. All the details to bring the 40s to life are captured perfectly_ the bars, clubs, cars, dresses and so on. The cinematography was a stroke of genius.

Raging Bull is not a sports drama. Actually, after the first few fights are shown, seldom is time spent inside the ring. We witness more of Jake's life outside in the world, where he is not hidden under a guise and has to fend for himself. The movie never attempts to explain how Jake became like he did. Scorsese trusts us to derive our own meanings. He just shows us the scenes of violence, love, family and then moves on to the next scene. His touch is light and imperceptible, yet his signature is all over it.

But unlike his other movies where everything sort of explains itself, I feel like this lacked the cohesiveness of his other works. Scorsese was successful in portraying the experiences of sudden fame and wealth and its effects but it was too vague for me to feel anything. Apart from a few scenes between the brothers which brought me close to tears, other times I just didn't feel anything at all.

Raging Bull may be more liked than Taxi Driver, but in my opinion it was too ambitious and failed at some level. Goodfellas is where Scorsese eventually succeeded in getting everything in precisely the right amount as they are needed to make a film work. Whether the movie worked perfectly or not is immaterial in the wake of De Niro's performance, and this movie should be watched just for that.The Academy finally recognized his talent and commitment and awarded him the Oscar for Best Actor.
  47. Jun 12, 2013
    This is my favorite Martin Scorsese film, along with "Goodfellas". Robert De Niro delivered a powerful performance of real life middleweight boxer Jake LaMotta. Whoever doesn't like this film has problems.
  48. Feb 16, 2014
    Raging Bull isn't Scorcese's best work, not by far. Considering this was his fifth feature film, it wasn't bad, but for a director like Scorcese we know he can push the limits. But Raging Bull just stayed in the sidelines and never fully got in the ring.
  49. Jan 20, 2014
    Scorsese and De Niro amaze us again with this superb picture. It captures La Motta's personality almost too well and it's filmed in glorious black and white. Both the director and the actor are at the top of their games in this one.
  50. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Raging Bull was not what I expected. Although it was not what I expected, it was still a very good film, and if I did expect what it was correctly, I'd probably rate it a 10, but since it disappointed me, I rated it an 8.
  51. May 2, 2014
    Raging Bull is Martin Scorsese's magnum opus that surpasses both Taxi Driver and Goodfellas and is without doubt one of the top five American films ever made. A film that contains probably the greatest performance of all time by an actor and the fight scenes are simply exhilarating to watch. What is perhaps even more astonishing is that Scorsese knew nothing about boxing which is probablyRaging Bull is Martin Scorsese's magnum opus that surpasses both Taxi Driver and Goodfellas and is without doubt one of the top five American films ever made. A film that contains probably the greatest performance of all time by an actor and the fight scenes are simply exhilarating to watch. What is perhaps even more astonishing is that Scorsese knew nothing about boxing which is probably why the majority of this film takes place outside of the ring than inside it.

Easily the greatest film of the 1980s.
  52. Jan 21, 2015
    Raging Bull has little to do with the subject of boxing per se; it's more of a character study of the flawed, tormented and troubled boxer, Jake LaMotta, and about his inability to connect with other human beings and his 'penchant' for self-destruction. Paul Schrader and Mardik Martin's screenplay unflinchingly explores what drove this man over the edge and what eventually pulled him back.Raging Bull has little to do with the subject of boxing per se; it's more of a character study of the flawed, tormented and troubled boxer, Jake LaMotta, and about his inability to connect with other human beings and his 'penchant' for self-destruction. Paul Schrader and Mardik Martin's screenplay unflinchingly explores what drove this man over the edge and what eventually pulled him back. Scorsese has presented the audiences with the most powerful portrayal of jealousy ever put up on the big screen, reviving the golden age of cinema (at least for a while).
    As the title suggests, it's not tactics or strategy but rage that drives LaMotta as a boxer. But what's interesting is that his perception doesn't seem to change when he steps outside the ring. He still feels that he has to fight the world on his own with no one in his corner but his brother. Lamotta often destroyed his opponents with a couple of chaotic blows. But sometimes we watch him stand strong, allowing himself to be hammered, refusing to go down. Why? I believe it was his way of confession, it was his way of acknowledging the wrongs he'd done and paying for the sins he'd committed. He hurt everyone around him too much, to forgive himself. Raging Bull is extremely aesthetic and over time, it has come to represent the gold standard in film-making. People can argue that this might be the greatest American film ever made. There's not too much one can say to fight that argument.
  53. May 23, 2014
    I just loved this movie. All the violence and suspense. This movie has great cinematography and editing. Robert De Niro and Joe Pesci gave great performances. Raging Bull is everything you want in a movie.
  54. Dec 15, 2014
    Its hard to hate on a classic like this one, but Raging Bull doesn't have the effect on me that it likely would have if I had watched it in 1980. The film has worn a bit over almost 35 years as most films do. Robert De Niro was still great in the lead role. I can't say anything bad about him, he showed lots of dedication by working out and then gaining weight to represent Jake La MottaIts hard to hate on a classic like this one, but Raging Bull doesn't have the effect on me that it likely would have if I had watched it in 1980. The film has worn a bit over almost 35 years as most films do. Robert De Niro was still great in the lead role. I can't say anything bad about him, he showed lots of dedication by working out and then gaining weight to represent Jake La Motta after his career ended. Other than that I found the movie a bit uninteresting. Expand
  55. Nov 18, 2014
    The duo of Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro , in not only one of the finest films made by them is also one of the most gruesome character studies ever done on screen. It is surely not for everyone out there, film shot in black and white has plenty of dark imperfect people most of which is our protagonist /antagonist Jake.
    Yes, the writing for our day and age seems a bit lethargic hence
    Yes, the writing for our day and age seems a bit lethargic hence 9, but a must watch for every film enthusiastic.
    Watch it for De Niro at his motherf*cking best, watch it for cinema's most down-reaching character, watc for Scorsese's best work.

P.S. Martin should have won Oscar for this one.
  56. Apr 15, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film is bad.

Of course Martin Scorsese is an incredible director. That said, how can you watch a film that is over two hours and every moment of that film, see no likeable characters. No one to root for. Jake La Motta is an incredibly unlike-able character. That is where the problem lies. The 2 is for the music, was with all MS films, it is incredible.

I have seen this film many times, I might add, over the years, to try to find what people love about it. I've had different versions bought for me as gifts. It is the only Marty movie I don't watch. Anymore.

The film is so long, it feels like you are going through an ordeal just watching it. It is very difficult to watch La Motta smashing up his wife until she almost dies, watching him lech and rape under aged girls.

The fact is, this film is guilty of feeding into a myth about famous people being great despite in this case incredible proof to the contrary.

Also the Black and White does nothing to breathe life into the picture, It just plain doesn't work in '1980' - I know full well that this was done to wash out any glamour from the film, this aim in commendable but making a film about a man who should have been locked up and the key thrown away is not. He must have made a mint from this and for that Marty should feel ashamed.

Goodfellas for example features a lot of unlike-able people, but it also shows them getting what is coming to them, however we are still able to enjoy some of the glamour that you can appreciate young impressionable kids were drawn to in the first place. The nice suits, the beautiful women, the music, the money, the lifestyle of the rich and famous. Goodfellas is a masterpiece whereas this is just a film of incredible length, woefully boring Pesante pace and painful to watch.

1. Reviewed by: Michael Bertin
    The performances are riveting and the visuals are stunning. The boxing sequences are brutally realistic - there are no crappy Rocky theatrics here - and the humanity oozes out of every scene.
    As LaMotta, Robert De Niro gives a blank, soulless performance; there's so little of depth or urgency coming from him that he's impossible to despise, or forgive, in any but the most superficial way.
    The most painful and heartrending portrait of jealousy in the cinema--an "Othello'' for our times.