Raiders of the Lost Ark

9.0

1. Jan 17, 2016
    Such an amazing film and no one can be a perfect Indiana Jones than Harrison Ford himself. An adventure of progress is waiting for you to experience with or without anyone near you.
  2. Sep 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Spielberg can never top this. Period." Luke Y. Thompson, Dallas Observer Luke is right. This is the best Spielberg film as of yet. I don't believe he can top this. The movie's charm and adventure just captivate you and fully engage you in the movie. It works like clockwork.

This film combines adventure, greed, power, love, Nazis, Harrison Ford at his best, and many other things to make the best adventure film ever made.

All the actors seem to enjoy their roles, and I especially love Paul Freeman's crazy French archaeologist character, Belloq.

There are many iconic scenes here; the boulder chase scene, the plane explosion, the U-boat scene, the "kidnapped Marion" scene, the "Indy-shoots-the-guy-with-the-sword" scene, and of course the melting faces scene. I could go on and on. You will like every moment of this movie, and will want more. Since you want more, you have 3 almost-as-good sequels to watch!
  3. Jul 3, 2015
    Raiders of the Lost Ark successfully blends archaeology with history and becomes a lively and fascinating action adventure around the globe. The collaboration involved on this first Indiana Jones flick is staggering - even for then. It's no doubt it has become an epic classic.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    An obvious classic, "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" is a splendid showcase of stellar storytelling, excellent imagery, and a healthy action. Truly impossible to forget.
  5. Jan 29, 2013
    Raiders of the Lost of Ark is a masterpiece. It has some of the most famous scenes in move history from the beginning to the end. It is adventure like no other.
  6. Sep 24, 2011
    "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a adventurous movie that plays out like a TV series, but one with a powerful script, cast, and story. Its like watching the best moments of TV in one cool movie.
  7. Nov 15, 2012
    To express all the highs and lows of cinema, the adventure and the romance, the action and the peril, Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the most significant films ever made.
  8. May 26, 2016
    Raiders of the Lost Ark is a classic adventure movie. It stands up well today because of it's canny use of practical effects and breakneck pace. It still has some shock value too... That face melting sequence still seems crazy gory to this day!
  9. Nov 1, 2010
    It doesn't have the same depth as Star Wars, but Harrison Ford's performance is the only saving grace in this entertaining adventure film.
  10. Dec 10, 2013
    Probably one of the best action films ever made. Raiders re-invents the adventure genre and made a generation of people want to be archaeologists. Too bad "Big bang theory" ruined the film for us in 2013.
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie was just about what I expected in some ways but unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype in others. First with the good stuff, it was exactly what I thought in terms of actions sequences, whip cracks, and archeological hunts. Those things were the strong elements of the film in my opinion. There were also plenty of funny scenes and the effects, while terrible in today'sThis movie was just about what I expected in some ways but unfortunately it didn't live up to the hype in others. First with the good stuff, it was exactly what I thought in terms of actions sequences, whip cracks, and archeological hunts. Those things were the strong elements of the film in my opinion. There were also plenty of funny scenes and the effects, while terrible in today's standards, were pretty darn good for a 30+ year-old film. The reason I rated this movie so low, however, is for the few negative parts. Things like the fact that the Indiana Jones character might be the dumbest protagonist in action film history for example. Or the corny scenes that mar so many films of that era. I honestly don't know what people were thinking back then to enjoy such tomfoolery. The other things that hurt the film weren't as major. The mystical/supernatural element was unfortunate but that's more of a personal thing. I tend to zone out when ridiculous stuff comes on the screen in supposedly realistic settings. The acting also wasn't great but it wasn't all that bad either. I was disappointed though in the lack of charisma from Harrison Ford during the movie. The same guy who managed to turn a douche bag smuggler into a fan favorite didn't have much opportunity to do the same here. I mainly blame the writing and directing. Still, the movie was enjoyable and I look forward to seeing the next two being that I've heard the series gets substantially better after the first one. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2015
    It might not be as awesome as what everyone thinks, but I still understand why this movie is so popular.

The adventure in this movie is fantastic. The theme and the music is very fun and it's a hell of a ride! Harrison Ford is one awesome actor! The tempo is however not as high as I expected. It might just be the new generation, but the action is not unique in the way I expected. The

Harrison Ford is one awesome actor! The tempo is however not as high as I expected. It might just be the new generation, but the action is not unique in the way I expected. The amount of action is however extremely high. Karen Allen as Marion is not a great actor, she made the movie so annoying. But the movie is still very good and I really recommend it. But it's too overrated, even though it got some Spielberg, Lucas and Kasdan!

7.8/10
  13. Mar 28, 2015
    A fun adventure/action story from the days before CGI when the story had to be the driving force behind a good action film. A true classic that should not be missed.
  14. Dec 20, 2014
    No wonder why is this movie considered one of the best motion pictures of all time. I simply love this. Every scene was entertaining as f*ck, and I will explain why in a brief review:

With a classically powerful story, beautiful set-pieces, crafty sense of humor and action sequences that open your mouth once they're executed, "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is one of my favorite action movies of all time. If you haven't seen it yet, go check it out and don't worry because it's the first installment in Indiana Jones' franchise.
  15. Apr 29, 2013
    I remember first watching this when people talking about the return of Indiana Jones. Since I was a fan of Steven Spielberg I figured I's give this movie a shot. It was an incredible action-packed adventure. First off, the storyline is interesting and puts you on the edge of your seat. Second, the characters are awesome. I figured some of the lines would be quorky and lame, but it wasI remember first watching this when people talking about the return of Indiana Jones. Since I was a fan of Steven Spielberg I figured I's give this movie a shot. It was an incredible action-packed adventure. First off, the storyline is interesting and puts you on the edge of your seat. Second, the characters are awesome. I figured some of the lines would be quorky and lame, but it was surprisingly well written. And finally, the action. For an old classic like this, the action is very intense, fun and enjoyable. This is one of those movies that I wished I had already known. This is definitely one of the biggest movies ever made. Just ask an folk if they've seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. They'll most likely tell you they loved it. Overall, it's the biggest adventure in the history of cinema. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2014
    It's a fun adventure. It's creepy and dark in places where it needs to be, it's humorous when it needs to be - the film, in general, knows when to deliver successful thrills.
  17. May 3, 2013
    Now I see where 'The Mummy' got a lot of ideas for their reboot series. It's a shame it took me so long to finally start the Indiana Jones films because after watching this one I can tell I'm really going to enjoy them! Harrison Ford is great as the title character and is joined by a talented cast. It probably starts off a lot better than it ends up as they never really went back to theNow I see where 'The Mummy' got a lot of ideas for their reboot series. It's a shame it took me so long to finally start the Indiana Jones films because after watching this one I can tell I'm really going to enjoy them! Harrison Ford is great as the title character and is joined by a talented cast. It probably starts off a lot better than it ends up as they never really went back to the likes of that opening scene, but overall an entertaining film and a classic you must-see! Expand
  18. Apr 18, 2016
    Indiana Jones, the character responsible for making archaeology the most exciting and sought for career ever is at best found in his first and inarguably greatest classic. Raider's of the lost Ark was one of a number of classic brought to the screen in the 1980's, other notable masterpieces were time travel saga the Back to the Future trilogy, the original Terminator and the Empire StrikesIndiana Jones, the character responsible for making archaeology the most exciting and sought for career ever is at best found in his first and inarguably greatest classic. Raider's of the lost Ark was one of a number of classic brought to the screen in the 1980's, other notable masterpieces were time travel saga the Back to the Future trilogy, the original Terminator and the Empire Strikes Back, and Spielberg's action adventure near enough trumps them all.
    Set in the backdrop of mid 1930's, where the second world war is on the verge, the film begins in a middle eastern jungle, Indy is venturing for a golden idol, he begins with three mercenaries, the whip crashes and five minutes later, he's running from a boulder having just set off the booby trap that would encave the entire temple. Five minutes in and one of the film's, of not one of cinema's most iconic scenes has rolled its way on to the screen, surely it can't get better?
    It does, watch on.
    Steven Spielberg is on top form in this department, providing camera work and action set pieces galore, scripted wonderfully by 80's superman Lawrence Kasdan (Empire Strikes Back.) But it's Harrison Ford who takes the cake as arguably the greatest (super)hero in cinema history, running from set piece to set piece whilst driving his story with impossibly cool suave and underlying moral dilemma. It's a film that, when first thought about ($20m globe trotting actioner starring Han Solo?) should not be good, bar even watchable, but the dream team of Lucas, Spielberg, Kasdan and Ford make it some of the most exciting, visually arresting adventure pics in creation. A must watch.
  19. Nov 29, 2015
    Just like the old movies from the early days, this adventure moves from one improbable event to the next. If you are a realist, you won't like this. But if you can just let go and enjoy the ride, what a ride. This was the first of the Indiana Jones films, and the best. I don't have many DVDs but this one is in my collection.
  20. Nov 20, 2011
    I really liked it. Thought it was a good adventure film that established Harrison Ford as the go to guy for any action film. This is a must watch for anyone.
  21. Jun 13, 2015
    This movie is now very dated, I will give it credit for a lot of the action scenes that still make me smile today (airplane fight) but towards the end of the movie, the formula is not interesting or fast, it is just a bit too slow which is disappointing. All in all, a decent adventure that would appeal to a lot of the older movie fans, just not me.
  22. Mar 28, 2011
    Awesome movie that introduced Harrison Ford's most iconic role (sorry Han Solo fans). Only complaint I had was because of the way the Ark of the Covenant was portrayed, but everything else was great!
  23. Dec 8, 2013
    This is primarily an action movie, and it does its job of thrilling us with brilliant action sequences one after the other more than satisfactorily. Harrison Ford plays Dr. Indiana Jones, a professor of archaeology at an unnamed university. Don't let his profession fool you. In his spare time, he likes to go on prolonged hunts for antiquities. This hobby of his takes him from South AmericaThis is primarily an action movie, and it does its job of thrilling us with brilliant action sequences one after the other more than satisfactorily. Harrison Ford plays Dr. Indiana Jones, a professor of archaeology at an unnamed university. Don't let his profession fool you. In his spare time, he likes to go on prolonged hunts for antiquities. This hobby of his takes him from South America to Nepal to Egypt.

He finds trouble everywhere he goes, or trouble finds him. Indy is not interested in riches, but seeks to hand over each discovery he can to the museum. But Belloq, his nemesis, seems always to be one step ahead of him, and he has powerful friends who then have more friends of themselves, always among the local population. Shooting frequently breaks out wherever Indy goes, buildings explode, henchmen die and so on.

The main plot follows Indiana Jones on the search for the lost Ark, which the Nazis are digging for with the help of Belloq. An object that is a key toward finding it is with Marion, Indy's past love interest. Circumstances force them to go on the search together, but they must do this before the Nazis, who would stop at nothing to bring the Ark to Berlin for the Fuhrer, to use as a weapon.

The pacing was too fast at times and little time was left to develop the mythology and the importance of the Ark. We were expected to come into the film with a crash course on it. What the movie excels at is not making us Ark enthusiasts, but letting us glimpse what most treasure hunts must feel like to the people who pursue this course of action.

All the action might have bored an average viewer if not for the quirky lines that crack you up, uttered by the characters in the face of impending death. Indy doesn't seem to believe for one moment that all those bullets flying over his head could really hit him. Often times, he uses his whip to slash at opponents and as a fulcrum to propel himself forward or lower himself or hold onto something. It serves nearly unlimited purposes.

Set in 1936, the movie captures the look of the time as well as any other movie could. We have the cars, motorcycles, planes; and the dresses and uniforms and weapons. All this combines to create a very convincing world in which we absorb instantly.

The movie has more than its share of explosions, car chases, shooting, fist-fighting and all that. You hardly ever pause to reflect, or become bored for that matter. You never learn how the Nazis find out which ship was Indiana travelling in. All this is good, and I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, but what I couldn't digest was the ending. It isn't necessarily bad in any way. Actually it failed to make any kind of impact on me. It kind of fizzled out. I feel like it should have held true to the joyride which came before it. Go out with a blast, not with a fizzle. Surely greats like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg could have done better. It was too deus ex machina. I found it anticlimactic, and it lessened the effect the movie had on me until then.

Hailed as a great movie by many critics and audience alike, I cannot deny that I enjoyed the ride. But I can't concur in good conscience that this movie was great in light of the ending of the movie, though I will be fair and rate it as it deserves.
  24. Jun 12, 2016
    Although slightly overrated, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a fun, action-packed adventure, and a great start to the franchise. Harrison Ford does a great job in the lead role, giving him loads of wit and Han Solo-ish charm. The set pieces are pretty impressive, as is the action, and the characters are good. Overall, "Raiders" isn't a deep, philosophical masterpiece that leaves youAlthough slightly overrated, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a fun, action-packed adventure, and a great start to the franchise. Harrison Ford does a great job in the lead role, giving him loads of wit and Han Solo-ish charm. The set pieces are pretty impressive, as is the action, and the characters are good. Overall, "Raiders" isn't a deep, philosophical masterpiece that leaves you contemplating life, but it's a purely entertaining adventure picture that stands the test of time pretty well. Definitely recommended for action-adventure fans. Expand
  25. Mar 20, 2016
    One of the best movies of all time, steven Spielberg has made a absolute masterpiece. It has amazing action, humor, and harrison Ford as jones is the perfect pick for such a adventurous character.
  26. Jul 25, 2011
    I saw the movie first when I was 15. Back then, I thought it was spectacular. Now, when I watch it, I think it is extremely cheesy, with really bad dialogue, and with almost every scene looking so staged that it is unreal. You can almost see somebody yelling 'Action' and then the awful action sequence starts. Not an ounce of excitement, it looks just really ridiculous. The Germans are madeI saw the movie first when I was 15. Back then, I thought it was spectacular. Now, when I watch it, I think it is extremely cheesy, with really bad dialogue, and with almost every scene looking so staged that it is unreal. You can almost see somebody yelling 'Action' and then the awful action sequence starts. Not an ounce of excitement, it looks just really ridiculous. The Germans are made look so dumb and stereotyped, it is just embarrassing. BAD FILMMAKING ! I guess it was a learning experience for Spielberg... Expand
  27. Jan 13, 2012
    I FINALLY got round to watching this movie. It was great but I didn't really have as much fun as when I did while watching the Temple Of Doom. It's still a great movie and I'm glad I watched it.
  28. Mar 4, 2011
    Very good story and lots of great action. All the acting was done very well. This was the best of the series.
  29. May 30, 2016
    Harrison Ford takes on another iconic role led by Speilberg and Lucas. Raiders is another movie that is pure magic. It is a timeless classic. Indiana Jones has become one of the great icons in pop culture.
  30. Jul 12, 2012
    Simply the greatest adventure movie ever made. Harrison Ford does great in the title role and the rest of the cast is top tier, as well. Raiders also fascinates me with its interesting back story about the Ark of the Covenant.
  31. Jan 15, 2015
    Rewatched it recently on BD. Great movie. Fun, entertaining full of adventure an action. Its one of those timeless classics that never get old. Harrison Ford did a really good job.
  32. Jan 18, 2016
    Man, as archeology ever been this interesting? I don't think so! An iconic masterpiece by Spielberg with a sense of mystery and adventure like any other film and also an unforgettable performance by Ford.
  33. Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks to its unforgettable characters, excellent story, breathtaking action, great cinematography, and a perfect score from John Williams, Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the all time classic action movies!
  34. Feb 23, 2012
    A stone cold classic. Anyone who says otherwise must not like old school movies. Indiana Jones was a big influence on my youthful imagination. Spielberg and Lucas got it right with this first film in the series.
  35. Jul 15, 2013
    THIS IS A SPECTACULAR FILM!!!! Filled with so much action, adventure and fun- this film has everything that an audience needs when they go to see a movie. The script is so well written and witty, the direction and tone is spectacular (Spielberg does it again), the acting is top notch (Harrison Ford is a beast), the music is classic (John Williams is also a beast for making this score),THIS IS A SPECTACULAR FILM!!!! Filled with so much action, adventure and fun- this film has everything that an audience needs when they go to see a movie. The script is so well written and witty, the direction and tone is spectacular (Spielberg does it again), the acting is top notch (Harrison Ford is a beast), the music is classic (John Williams is also a beast for making this score), the action is epic and awesome, the romance is great (Karen Allen is great), the film is fresh and original- this film has it all. An adventure of a lifetime! Expand
  36. Jan 6, 2013
    The best action/adventure movie of all time. Smart and cool that deals with the Nazis. A great movie that makes you stand up and shout with enjoyment.
  37. Apr 2, 2012
    First off, this is a 10 out of 10. Such a great adventure, that's just a masterpiece. Acting is great. Harrison ford was outstanding. Score is phenomenal. The classic lost ark music is just fun to listen, and overall it's just great to listen to. Story is also really good. Action sequences are great. Really well made. Overall, this is an outstanding movie. You should see this movie. It'llFirst off, this is a 10 out of 10. Such a great adventure, that's just a masterpiece. Acting is great. Harrison ford was outstanding. Score is phenomenal. The classic lost ark music is just fun to listen, and overall it's just great to listen to. Story is also really good. Action sequences are great. Really well made. Overall, this is an outstanding movie. You should see this movie. It'll be a mistake if you don't see it. Expand
  38. Dec 20, 2012
    Great acting, script, plot, and an overall treat to watch! Regard this movie as a high quality classic! Great movie! Simply, one of the best. If you don't like this movie, then there is something wrong with you, I'm afraid.
  39. Dec 4, 2012
    One of the best movies of all time. This is a classic. It did everything right. When it was released it was new and different. It was action-packed and suspenseful right from the beginning and has lots of humorous parts thrown in, lots of scary parts too. Another movie with an amazing musical score by John Williams, the music is amazing in this movie! I love the style of the way it wasOne of the best movies of all time. This is a classic. It did everything right. When it was released it was new and different. It was action-packed and suspenseful right from the beginning and has lots of humorous parts thrown in, lots of scary parts too. Another movie with an amazing musical score by John Williams, the music is amazing in this movie! I love the style of the way it was filmed, my girlfriend who is an art major told me the name for it but I forget, anyway it is filmed the way really old movies used to be filmed which looks way better than the typical Hollywood film you see today. Collapse
  40. May 12, 2013
    The beginning of one of the best franchises of action, and nothing but a lot of fun, full of innovative action, a character who became an icon of pop culture and immortalize Harrison Ford, and one of the first good plots that would become a model for movies action adventure.
  41. Jan 11, 2015
    Yet another masterpiece starring Harrison Ford. Though he gained fame from Han Solo, in this film he is the true star! Raiders of the Lost Ark is thrilling and action-packed with an amazing soundtrack to match!
  42. Dec 28, 2012
    In 1981, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas came together for a film called "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and thus brought to the world what would quickly become an immortal new action hero, Indiana Jones, played with irrepressible charisma and charm by Harrison Ford. Made in the spirit of the old movie adventure serials, we follow Henry "Indiana" Jones, professor of archaelogy and 'obtainerIn 1981, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas came together for a film called "Raiders of the Lost Ark", and thus brought to the world what would quickly become an immortal new action hero, Indiana Jones, played with irrepressible charisma and charm by Harrison Ford. Made in the spirit of the old movie adventure serials, we follow Henry "Indiana" Jones, professor of archaelogy and 'obtainer of rare antiquities', as he is asked by the government to locate the biblical Ark of the Covenant before the Nazis, who are also searching for it to unleash its theological powers. And what else is there to say? This is a classic adventure film, full of memorable characters, fantastic action scenes, drama, humor and an iconic music score. Certainly a top-tier movie from "top men" in the business. Expand
  43. CRL
    Aug 9, 2011
    Dated though it's special effects may be, Raiders is still a very entertaining thriller with one of the most recognizable characters in film history along with one of the most spontaneously funny fight scenes ever (if you don't know what I'm talking about, it involves a gun and a knife).
  44. Jun 16, 2014
    An amazing, wonderful tale of a man's quest for a holy yet cursed chest in the mythology, Raiders of the Lost Ark boasts strong, heroic from Harrison Ford, and undeniably greatly benefits from a fantastic storytelling.
  45. May 5, 2014
    A fun slick adventure staring Harrison Ford. This movie is so fun and so imaginitive. Indy has a movie that just never gets old. Harrison Ford never seizes to amaze me
  46. Feb 26, 2015
    Raiders of the Lost Ark may just be the movie that defined the term 'classic'. With a timeless story, unforgettable characters, an iconic score, and some of the best action scenes ever made, Raiders solidifies itself as one of cinema's great achievements. This is in my personal top five best films ever made. Although in my honest opinion, it is not fully deserving of a perfect score, evenRaiders of the Lost Ark may just be the movie that defined the term 'classic'. With a timeless story, unforgettable characters, an iconic score, and some of the best action scenes ever made, Raiders solidifies itself as one of cinema's great achievements. This is in my personal top five best films ever made. Although in my honest opinion, it is not fully deserving of a perfect score, even though it comes incredibly close.

9.9/10
  47. Oct 12, 2014
    Raiders of the Lost Ark is a fantastic movie about an archaeologist hired by the U.S. government to find an antiquity before the Nazis.Harrison Ford in his most iconic role of his career as Indiana Jones, entertains you in this adventurous classic.
  48. Jul 11, 2014
    Childhood memories up in here. Not my favorite Indiana Jones Movie, but still better than most Action/Adventure movies that i know.
  49. May 9, 2015
    Despite what the DVD marketeers are currently claiming, the title of this movie was, is, and always shall be Raiders of the Lost Ark, not Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. There are times when revisionism can be taken too far, and this is one of those instances. I don't need all of my Indiana Jones titles next to each other in my DVD library. I'm perfectly capable of going toDespite what the DVD marketeers are currently claiming, the title of this movie was, is, and always shall be Raiders of the Lost Ark, not Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. There are times when revisionism can be taken too far, and this is one of those instances. I don't need all of my Indiana Jones titles next to each other in my DVD library. I'm perfectly capable of going to the "R" section for Raiders rather than having it alongside the sequels, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

You have to love a movie that is so devilishly clever as to make the hero's every effort, no matter how Herculean, irrelevant to the conclusion. Had Dr. Jones elected to go on an extended vacation to Mozambique and never have anything to do with the Ark of the Covenant, nothing would have changed. Jones doesn't save the day. In fact, he doesn't come close to rescuing it, unless one considers his having failed as being the key to success. (Although he does get the girl.) Yes, the movie ends with melting faces, but, underneath all of that liquefying flesh and exploding heads, there's an abundance of irony just waiting for the attentive movie-goer to unearth. When was the last time that an action hero has been so utterly, completely inconsequential as Indiana Jones?

But, in discussing the ending, I'm getting ahead of myself. Better, instead, to go back to the beginning. Where that is, is anyone's guess. It could be back in the late '40s, when a young George Lucas was enthralled by the cliffhanger serials that would inspire this film. It could be in 1975, when Steven Spielberg made a little movie about a not-so-little shark and suddenly became a big name in Hollywood. It could be in 1977 when Lucas' Star Wars singlehandedly revived science fiction and solidified the concept of the summer blockbuster. Or it could be later in that same year, when Lucas and Spielberg, while both vacationing in Hawaii, decided that they had to work together on a project. That project would become Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Certainly, Raiders of the Lost Ark is a breathless, white-knuckle experience of a movie. It is also perfectly paced. There's enough time in between the frequent action scenes to provide the minimum of exposition and character development for us to understand what's going on and to appreciate the relationships between the individuals who populate the screen. There's none of the frantic quick-cutting that has since become a staple of action movies (thank you, editor Michael Kahn!), and the production does not seem frenzied and out-of-control. This isn't a case of cardboard figures running around in circles and blowing things up. We care about Indy and Marion in ways that we rarely care about protagonists in this genre. When Marion "dies," it stings.

For composer John Williams, who has long been favored by both Spielberg and Lucas, the chance to work on Raiders of the Lost Ark offered him an opportunity to collaborate with them both, and to add another memorable theme song to his list of credits. In the five-year period from 1977 to 1982, Williams created five of movie-dom's most popular title tracks: Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Superman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and E.T.

The deserved popularity of Raiders of the Lost Ark resulted in a huge box office bonanza for Paramount Pictures. This is the kind of movie that, even today, audiences immediately fall in love with. It has all the right ingredients: a smart script, a likable hero, a dash of romance, more than a touch of comedy, and a lot of fast-paced action. The two sequels are vastly inferior - Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is too ponderous and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is unforgivably fatuous. Yet, because the first entry of the series leaves such an indelible imprint, the existence of lesser chapters to the Indiana Jones saga does nothing to dilute its impact. Raiders of the Lost Ark is a movie to be savored by viewers of all ages and all persuasions.
  50. Oct 9, 2015
    When I first saw this movie in the cinema i immediately fell in love, this movie has everything you could wish for: a cool hero, action, adventure, mystery, humor and fantastic music (by John Williams). Who could ever forget the main theme song of this movie? (ta tata taaaaaaaa, ta ta taaa! ta tata taaaaaaa, ta tata ta ta!)

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a classic, the best movie directed

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a classic, the best movie directed by Spielberg and one of the most enjoyable movies ever made. I think I have seen this movie more than 10 times.

I rate Raiders of the Lost Ark with a perfect score of 10 out of 10.
  51. Mar 22, 2016
    Action movies were a different breed in the pre-1981 years than they are today, and one of the reasons for their transformation had to do with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Before this movie, James Bond ruled the roost and the Bond formula was the accepted path that any self-respecting action movie would follow. The first Indiana Jones outing changed that. The film was constructed as a seriesAction movies were a different breed in the pre-1981 years than they are today, and one of the reasons for their transformation had to do with Raiders of the Lost Ark. Before this movie, James Bond ruled the roost and the Bond formula was the accepted path that any self-respecting action movie would follow. The first Indiana Jones outing changed that. The film was constructed as a series of cliffhangers with narrow, death-defying escapes. Not since the era of serials have audiences so often asked the question, "How's he going to get out of this one?" It's unfair to claim that the 007 outings were unexciting, but, compared to Raiders of the Lost Ark, they come across as sedate. Raiders transformed the action movie landscape. In the years that followed, nearly every action movie would try to generate the same sense of suspense and tension. Even the Bond movies would catch on.

As played by Harrison Ford, Indiana Jones represents a different kind of action hero. By hearkening back to the protagonist from those black-and-white serials, Lucas and Spielberg created the model for the future. Jones is as close to an "everyman" as you're likely to find in an action movie. He's tough, but not that tough; he has women problems; he wears natty, "lived-in" clothing; he doesn't drink martinis, regardless of whether they're shaken or stirred; he frequently gets bumped, beaten, and bruised; and he doesn't have biceps like a Mr. Universe. One has to wonder if someone like John McClane (Die Hard's fly in the ointment) could have existed if Ford hadn't trailblazed this road. Certainly, there wouldn't have been any Jack T. Colton (Michael Douglas' character in the best of the Raiders re-treads, Romancing the Stone) or Rick O'Connell (Brendan Fraser in The Mummy).

The film, which transpires in the late 1930s, opens with a wonderfully tense, pulp-inspired sequence inside a ruined temple as archeologist adventurer Indiana Jones seeks to avoid a number of pitfalls and traps on his way to recovering a priceless artifact. Tarantulas, gaping pits, lethal spikes, arrows, and a huge rolling boulder are a few of the dangers he overcomes, only to lose possession of the statuette to his arch-rival, Rene Belloq (Paul Freeman), once he emerges. Indy escapes relatively unscathed, but returns home with his tail between his legs, disappointed at being unable to retrieve the prize. His consolation, however, is that the U.S. government would like him to track down the Ark of the Covenant, and they are willing to pay handsomely for him to do so.

Indy's journey in search of the Ark reunites him with an old flame, Marion Ravenwood (Karen Allen), who holds a key piece of the puzzle necessary to pinpoint the artifact's location. Then it's on to Cairo, where he teams up with an old friend, Sallah (John Rhys-Davies), who gives him information on the Nazi dig site, supervised by none other than Belloq. It becomes a race between Indy and Belloq for the prize - a race that Indy wins before Belloq steals away the spoils, leaving Marion and him trapped in near-darkness surrounded by thousands of hissing snakes. But Indy isn't finished, and, after escaping from Belloq's trap, a chase ensues involving planes, trucks, ships, and a submarine. In the end, the Nazis get the Ark, but learn that sometimes it's better to lose than to win.

Which brings us to one of Raiders' great strengths: the performances. No Oscar nominations were awarded, but it's hard to imagine any group of actors doing a better job. By the time Raiders of the Lost Ark was made, Harrison Ford had filed off the rough edges that were apparent in his first outing as Han Solo.

52. Dec 28, 2012
    Brilliantly crafted with moving characters, delightfully evil antagonists, Raiders of the Lost Ark certain to hark up nostalgia of early black-and-white escapist films.
  53. Aug 24, 2015
    It is possibly the greatest action/adventure films of all time! The action scenes are intense, the lead characters, both male and female, are charming and strong, the music is iconic, and the story is engaging! Steven Spielberg is one of my favorite filmmakers, and he proves his excellence further with this awesome classic.
  54. May 5, 2011
    This film is "The" Adventure film and an example of how to make a good blockbuster flick. Entertaining as hell with memorable action scenes, solid acting and a well told story. Absolute joyride from beginning to end.
  55. Dec 16, 2010
    10yrs old watching this in the movie theater.... nothing better. Just watched it again the other night and I still like it very much... still a 9 for me 30 some yrs later :)
  56. Feb 4, 2015
    Trailblazers of a Lost Art

Trailblazers of a Lost Art

Little wonder James Cameron and Joss Whelon movies are the biggest box-office earners. They are masters of cinematic rhetoric. The unfolding dramatic situations and controlled dialogue are meticulously contrived. Cameron could probably have potted more if it wasn't for his earnest, simplistic messages (rich bad; nature good). All three movies (Titanic, Avatar, Avengers) plot along comfortably then suddenly spike spectacularly.
    But no one has ever laid on the cinematic charm and cajolery like Stephen Spielberg. He was by far the craftiest manipulator of action and melodrama there ever was. He was the progenitor of summer blockbusters and all-ages, all-nations spectacles. At his best he had a gift for re-living and realizing that ethereal and irresistible childhood awe.
    If Raiders of the Lost Ark (NOT the sequels... NO, not even the father- son one) was made today, exactly the same way, okay maybe in 3D with updated CGI, it would surely land at the top of the box-office heap. It is essentially the first comic book movie that wasn't a comic book (bespectacled mild-mannered Archaeology prof by day and globe-trotting whip-wielding action hero on sabbatical). Raiders of the Lost Ark (the first and only) is arguably the greatest adventure movie ever cooked up. And we, the abject audience, servile participants of the artifice, were licking its boots. We wanted Spielberg and his Indy to rope us in, reel us into the action, and completely have their way with us. We overlooked the emotional manipulation and contrived trappings because it was a pure freaking joy to watch, a Lucas produced godsend. Harrison Ford was born to play it just as Steven was born to direct it. It's really too bad they had to brand and knock off inferior sequels that, while making oodles of money, tarnished the shine of the unsurpassed prototype.
    Indiana Jones was the perfect reluctant action hero on a selfless mission. A whip-snapping, truck-wrangling, swordster-gunning, Nazi- brawling adventurer who was matched only by his headstrong and sassy love interest, one pistol of a gal who could drink any man under the table. Not enough credit has been given to the great Lawrence Kasdan as the writer of this marvellous adventure. The script is as close to perfect as anybody could scribe. Even a dialogue-heavy expository scene (poisoned dates) was infused with a tense element of suspense. Yes, the story was hyper-fictional, completely contrived, shamelessly far-fetched... and altogether delightful. I wasn't expecting much when I went in to watch it back in 1981, but it had me wanting to do do back-flips on the way out. America's own Fab Four, Larry, Steve, Harrison and George, put on an action-adventure clinic.
    Possibly the only weak spot in the movie is the climax which had our hero and heroine tied to a stake while God, the almighty Mcguffin from the Old Testament, magically wrapped things up for them. "Don't look" Indy warns, with his patented crooked grin. Are you kidding? We can't possibly take out eyes off of this. With respect to lost Teddy Bears from space and anti-Nazi machinators, Raiders is Spielbergs greatest achievement. It is one of the finest films ever made, of its or any kind. It is, hands down, my desert island movie.
  57. Mar 6, 2016
    Released in 1981, Raiders Of The Lost Ark puts Ford in search of the Ark of the Covenant, racing against Nazis who would use it for their own purposes, and bulldozing through one action-packed episode after another. Much of the blame for the all-action-all-the-time approach of current summer blockbusters can be placed on Raiders, but if any of the copycats had Spielberg's command ofReleased in 1981, Raiders Of The Lost Ark puts Ford in search of the Ark of the Covenant, racing against Nazis who would use it for their own purposes, and bulldozing through one action-packed episode after another. Much of the blame for the all-action-all-the-time approach of current summer blockbusters can be placed on Raiders, but if any of the copycats had Spielberg's command of storytelling and visual gags, it wouldn't matter. Raiders finds the right balance between reverence and wit, and the sight of Ford outrunning that giant boulder thrills as much on the 14th viewing as the first. Expand
  58. May 12, 2015
    Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the best movies of all time. Everybody agree that. And it is one of my favourite movies of all time. So it gets 10 out of 10. An A+.
  59. Jun 25, 2013
    My Number 1 favourite movie of all time and pretty much the pinnacle of adventure cinema "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is a film that no matter how many times it re-runs on air i can sit down and watch it indefinately.

"Raiders", a marvel piece of cinema was created and brought to life by two of hollywoods biggest names at the time (Steven Spielberg "Jaws" & George Lucas "Star Wars"), Inspired by the old film serials of the 30's and 40's where adventurers will survive and escape virtually in-escapable peril,

Harrison Ford is in his prime as the famous fictional architect Indiana Jones, whose journeys would involve bizarre riddles and strange hyroglifics that would usually result in biblical proportions.

At the very beginning of the movie we are treated to a jungle exhibition with a mood defining score from John Williams and a younger, thinner Alfred Molina. Suddenly we enter a cave and finally the film already set it's moods and expectations in no less than 15 mins!!!

Suddenly we see what little of Jones's regular life is like as a College professor, and in no time we see him off on another adventure searching for the legendary Ark of the Covenant (Built by the Israeles to hold the fragments of the Ten Commandments). this ends up seeing Jones traveling to Nepal to meet his old flame Marion (Karen Allen) who may hold the key to finding the Ark, unaware that both of them are being followed and hunted by Nazi Gestapos sent by Hitler to collect the Ark for himself, this revalation pairs Indy and Marion together as the head for Cairo to find it first.

Among the Highlights of the movie as said before is The Cave, The Barfight in Nepal, The famous Market chase and the undeniably funny "Gun to the Swordfight" scene and so many others, even the ENDING of the film is so famous it has been more than parodied to death in recent Pop-Culture.

The special effects and visual style in this film are truly a lost art, from the wax melting faces and giant fiberglass boulders, to the spirits, streets of Cairo, dimly lit dungeons and tombs, everything and anything could come out from anytime, anywhere.

Also many people do not know all the talent behind this movie, Joe Johnston won an Academy Award for his effects and would later turn to directing, most notably recent "Captain America: The First Avenger" where the Nazi Villian utters "And the Fuhrer digs for trinkets in the desert" ;-)

And Michael Bay was the storyboard artist who thought the movie was going to be horrible, saw it, loved it and eventually became a film-maker himself (yet he really needs to learn something or two).

Even then though as i write and dive into this movie i can't explain why it's such a gem, Adventure films before and after to me never really reached this magnitude (not even the sequels) and no matter when and where it's on i'll just have to sit and watch it. all in all you're along for the ride and once it's started there's no going back.

"Raiders" even after all i've said there no possible way to fully describe the experince as a whole, but why it means so much to me, in one sentence is...

"One of the most Imaginative movies ever made and that's what i consider Cinema and Story telling is all about"

Final Verdict: I loved it the first time i saw it, and i'll most likely continue to love it till the day i die, My ultimate number 1 movie of all time.
  60. Mar 13, 2016
  61. Jun 10, 2015
    Delightful! Starting off with a rip roaring splash across a South American jungle before venturing through the pitfalls of the Egyptian desert, Han Solo sparkles as the daring and streetwise Indiana Jones. Supported brilliantly by his love interest, he uses all his intelligence and strength to try and evade the Nazis amidst some breathtaking scenery,
    Sound plot and special effects which
    Sound plot and special effects which stand up even today. A classic!
  62. Apr 26, 2011
    Let me start by saying that this was one of the most excellent films of the 80s. Exciting, fast-paced, and a masterpiece itself. The debt that Harrison Ford brings to his character is outstanding, and nothing made his carreer lift off as well as this. This film is perfect in many ways, besides the dialogue. but for right now, I'll start with the story. The idea of finding the Lost Ark isLet me start by saying that this was one of the most excellent films of the 80s. Exciting, fast-paced, and a masterpiece itself. The debt that Harrison Ford brings to his character is outstanding, and nothing made his carreer lift off as well as this. This film is perfect in many ways, besides the dialogue. but for right now, I'll start with the story. The idea of finding the Lost Ark is not very original, for it was attempted many times in real life. But the fact that an archeoligist, inside a Nazi camp, with plenty of back-stabbers, and the sexiest, most beatiful women he'll ever meet AND trying to find the lost ark. Now thats original. Then the acting in this film is pure goodness. Sadly, Harrison Ford wasw robbed of a nomination-yes, not an award, but a NOMINATION- and thats just sad for the Academy. The acting by lead actress Karen Allen isnt as good as I hoped, but still a passing grade. Which is just one of the reasons why I gave this film an 8, not an expected 10, like most people. So, acting is good. Then comes the cinematagrophy. Wow. Next is the sound and soundtrack. This main theme might have been one of the best ever. Its one of the most recognizable, and it is such a pity that it didn't win the Academy Award. John Williams seemed to have put in a ton of effort into building this soundtrack, and it paid off. Never has a main theme been more enjoyable to listen to, other than Star War's and Pirates of the Carribean's. It will live on not in just movie history, but musical history, as well. Then I move on to the special effects. The special effects in this film were very gratifying, especially in the 80s. When I saw this film, I could've sworn it wasn't a movie from the 20th century. But, as usual, the wonders if film tricked me again. What great effects and what genuine editing. It's all simply marvelous. But then I move on to what mainly gave this movie an 8. The dialogue. Some of the dialogue in this film was to much to handle, and I really couldn't. When the dialogue was good, it was alright, but when it was bad, it was horrible. And most of the time it was bad. "You can't do this to me, I'm an AMERICAN," was one of the most memorable quotes. Yes, most memorable. But I wont complain anymore, because all in all, this film is as adventure films get. In the end, I give it a deserving 8/10. Expand
  63. Mar 28, 2012
    This movie is a true classic, really entertaining, very funny and some really brilliant action scenes, Harrison Ford is excellent in it, bringing loads of swagger to the role, easily an excellent movies that kicked off one of the best movies franchises there is.
  64. Oct 4, 2011
    The film is so funny, it has a good soundtrack, the characters are funny that is what makes the movie so funny, the effects are good and creepy sometimes, it has good action, one of the best of that genre, and the only one in being nominated in the Best Picture Category. One of the best films made by Steven Spielberg.
  65. Sep 6, 2013
    Raiders of the Lost Ark is by far one of the best, unforgettable films of the 80s. To the great leaders George Lucas and Steven Spielberg brings adventure to life.
  66. May 22, 2014
    Raiders is one of the most entertaining movies ever made. The action is great, the writing is smart, the acting is great, and Spielberg's direction is brilliant.
  67. Dec 7, 2014
    Every person who i know has seen this movie and has liked it! It is a fantastic movie and my second favorite Indiana Jones movie. This is definitely better than the 4th movie >,
  68. Mar 15, 2014
    This movie is amazing don't for for the big words that others use such as ''monotonous'' or ''linear'' these people are complaining that this movie isn't complex or sophisticated Indiana Jones isn't supposed to be either it is basic and simple finding nemo was supposed to be finding nemo not the godfather this movie has all the great things a movie needs a great story, action and of courseThis movie is amazing don't for for the big words that others use such as ''monotonous'' or ''linear'' these people are complaining that this movie isn't complex or sophisticated Indiana Jones isn't supposed to be either it is basic and simple finding nemo was supposed to be finding nemo not the godfather this movie has all the great things a movie needs a great story, action and of course characters the characters in this movie are just so easy to fall in love with and you do care for them when they are harmed overall indiana Jones and the raiders of the lost ark is a must see Expand
  69. Aug 28, 2012
    It does, watch on.
  70. Apr 21, 2013
    Another one of my favorite movies. This movie, in my opinion, has some of the best action scenes in movie history. It has a well-done story plot, great acting from Harrison Ford, some cool special effects, and lots and lots of fun.
  71. Jun 26, 2015
    Indiana Jones : Raider of the lost Ark is a excellente movie. The screenplay is perfect. Actors play very well their roles. the music ismagnificent . Action, adventure , humor are there.
  72. BenH.
    Apr 5, 2004
    I recently saw this movie in my film class at school and i thought it was great. There was many action scenes that made the movie very entertaining. The fact that everyone can relate to Indiana Jones is was makes the movie so interesting. I would surely see it again.
  73. DanC.
    May 3, 2004
    Indiana Jones: Finally making archaeology cool! Indian Jones tops my list of greatest heroes of all time.
  74. chonc.
    Apr 5, 2005
    All time Classic!!
  75. RaiderRex
    Apr 8, 2005
    Totalllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyy!
  76. RogerV.
    Jul 14, 2005
    As good as it gets. Long live Indiana Jones.
  77. SteveC.
    May 29, 2008
    ATTENTION - INDY 4 [***SPOLIER***] The ark ends up in a box in a warehouse at AREA 51 which turns out to be a place for hiding the American Governments secrets
  78. WalterC.
    Aug 12, 2008
    Who could possibly enjoy this? It was sick! Full of unnessecary killing and just like Saving Private Ryan, it makes the Germans look stupid! The Ark of the Covenant? Horrible plot device! And the theme? Barely hummable!
  79. paull.
    Aug 20, 2008
    Geez, that "Chicago reader" critic DAve Kehr is not in a mood for this film and probably because he drinks too much alcohol and pills which turn him into crazy maniac! This is the best of all Indiana Jones series!
  80. adityam
    Jul 27, 2009
    Are you people really serious with this movie? I cannot believe myself as I watched the movie that this has been directed by Steven Spielberg let alone acclaiming this as one of best movies. You got to be kidding, whoever had praised it so much. Steven Spielberg is a master director, but this is not a movie that has to be taken by him. This must be joke . Really a joke that people are Are you people really serious with this movie? I cannot believe myself as I watched the movie that this has been directed by Steven Spielberg let alone acclaiming this as one of best movies. You got to be kidding, whoever had praised it so much. Steven Spielberg is a master director, but this is not a movie that has to be taken by him. This must be joke . Really a joke that people are considering it so high. The Novelette The Thirty nine steps was reminded to me when I watched this movie. Even that was hyped but isn't worth it. Expand
  81. AnthonyA.
    Mar 3, 2005
    The chicago reader is dumb... they should stick to reading and not viewing movies. this movie is one of the greatest movies on the face of the earth!!!
  82. JaysonB.
    Apr 8, 2005
    A lot of fun and good actors!
  83. Allison
    Aug 12, 2005
    The best of the best. Thank you Mr. Spielberg for Indiana Jones and his magic carpet ride of adventure. Desitned to become a classic.
  84. HanselH.
    Feb 25, 2006
    One of the best movies ever made. From the "Paramount" opening title, to every action sequence, to the rousing John Willims score, and the memorable characters and villians, etc. etc. Danger! Romance! Comedy! Action! Adventure! This is what movies is all about.
  85. Printninja
    Mar 28, 2006
    This movie touches the adventurer in you (even if there isn't one), and makes you feel that somehow, perhaps in a past life, you also trotted the globe fighting the forces of evil in search of mythical archeological relics. Anyone who can't "let go" and allow themselves to be taken in by this masterpiece was deprived of a childhood, and if that happens to be the case, I This movie touches the adventurer in you (even if there isn't one), and makes you feel that somehow, perhaps in a past life, you also trotted the globe fighting the forces of evil in search of mythical archeological relics. Anyone who can't "let go" and allow themselves to be taken in by this masterpiece was deprived of a childhood, and if that happens to be the case, I can't imagine any better therapy then seeing this movie once a year for the rest of your life. Kudos to all involved. Expand
  86. MikeM.
    Jun 30, 2006
    Why is the "Chicago Reader's" reviewer included in the tabulation for Raiders? The lowest score after it is 90. The reviewer probably masturbates to Blue Velvet and is the guy at the party going on and on about Dr. Stranglove. Ok, we get it, you are a Critic.
  87. MarkS.
    Jul 5, 2006
    One of the greatest ever. I hope that Chicago Reader guy was instantly fired. HELLO! Does one need any more proof of ineptitude?
  88. KevinF.
    Dec 15, 2007
    One of the greats in action/adventure. A timeless classic.
  89. samtam90
    Apr 19, 2007
    The best adventure movie ever conceived. Plain and simple.
  90. DevonC.
    May 29, 2008
    It's unmissable. The action is outstanding, the romance between Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood was spellbinding, and the whole thing all together is just great. Despite it's flaws, it's definitely in my top 10 favourites.
  91. JoeyZ.
    Sep 13, 2008
    Best Indiana Jones Movie ! This movie had great special effects ,a great story , and great acting. Probably the best movie I've ever seen!
  92. AndrewM.
    May 26, 2004
    How could one possibly rate Spielberg's achievements in ranking order? I doubt you can! Jaws is my personal favourite but to me, it's simply not possible to rank them all. One thing however is a fait-accompli - this film would be high in the list. I will always remember the first time I saw this film... I was 8 years old and the film had already been out for a couple of years How could one possibly rate Spielberg's achievements in ranking order? I doubt you can! Jaws is my personal favourite but to me, it's simply not possible to rank them all. One thing however is a fait-accompli - this film would be high in the list. I will always remember the first time I saw this film... I was 8 years old and the film had already been out for a couple of years (this was 1983). We hired the film from the local video store (which incidentally were still fairly new back then - seems like a century ago now!!!) and headed for home for a night of fun viewing. However, just as we began to watch the film a big storm which had been encroaching for a hour or so finally began to unleash its power. And unleash it did, with thunderous rain, hail and wind, which eventually led to a tree breaking through the lounge room window! We managed to get it patched up as best we could and then resumed watching the movie, with the wild storm continuing unabated outside. Raiders is such a classic that we hardly noticed the storm thereafter, broken window and all! We were so completely enraptured with the adventure and wit and danger and fun of this film that we were all oblivious to the carnage occurring outside. The whole family loved it and has done time and time again since. Harrison Ford was made for this role and he proved that with equally brilliant performaces in the sequels. And Spielberg...well what can you say? He's a genius! Whenever I think back to that night, even though I remember the wildest storm I have ever experienced, all I really think about is seeing this all-time classic for the first time! An experience I'll never forget. Expand
  93. JohanC.
    Jun 11, 2005
    A great story that was intelligently made, Raiders of the Lost Ark is the best adventure story to date. From begining to end, this movie is utterly engrossing.
  94. AkhilK
    Jul 27, 2005
    From beginning to end, Raiders is a ride not to missed and a movie not to be forgetten. Refreshingly original inspite of its inspiration to the 30s and 40s comics, the film is still a delicious masterpiece worth experiencing again and again.
  95. BobbyB.
    Oct 25, 2007
    This was one of the best movies ever. The theme song is really great and still gets stuck in my head. Steven Speilberg looks like my science teacher! Greatest movie ever!
  96. AndrewP.
    Oct 14, 2008
    The greatest adventure movie ever made! Forget the 30/100 review, that is bull!
  97. Jake
    Nov 21, 2005
    How thel hell did Dave kehr give this a 30? One of my favorite movies ever.
  98. GordanC.
    Nov 25, 2007
    I have been told that this has been a masterpiece of action/adventure films. But I think my source told me wrong because during the film, I was quite bored, the quality kind of sucked. It was cheesy and the last quarter was very dull, I wasn't even engaged, there was no action, but a linear design of perspective. The writing and characters are okay, but overall the movie sucks. I have been told that this has been a masterpiece of action/adventure films. But I think my source told me wrong because during the film, I was quite bored, the quality kind of sucked. It was cheesy and the last quarter was very dull, I wasn't even engaged, there was no action, but a linear design of perspective. The writing and characters are okay, but overall the movie sucks. I'm not going to watch this again. Expand
  99. Jun 6, 2012
    'Raiders of the Lost Ark' is THE shining example of a brilliant action/adventure blockbuster movie. It's by far my all-time favorite Spielberg film, and worthy of all praise it gets. I've seen all the Indy movies, and this one is definitely the best! I'd rank it among the best Steven Spielberg movies ever (and I'm not the only one): http://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-steven-spielberg-movies/lons
  100. Nov 5, 2013
    A great movie which certainly showed potential for a series of films. Shamefully the Temple of Doom wasn't very exciting film but that does not take away the greatness of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Overall it was a very good film with an interesting plot and solid characters. I just wish their would be more Indy films but i do not want the series to be extended so much that the storylineA great movie which certainly showed potential for a series of films. Shamefully the Temple of Doom wasn't very exciting film but that does not take away the greatness of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Overall it was a very good film with an interesting plot and solid characters. I just wish their would be more Indy films but i do not want the series to be extended so much that the storyline becomes boring and not worth watching. Expand

1. The Globe and Mail (Toronto)
    Reviewed by: Jay Scott
    Jun 1, 2016
    Raiders of the Lost Ark (at the Eglinton) is a cinematic roller-coaster, thrilling and frightening in equal measure, a heart-pounding slide down greased lightning. [12 June 1981]
  2. Washington Post
    Reviewed by: Gary Arnold
    Jun 1, 2016
    Raiders of the Lost Ark is sensational. This awesomely entertaining adventure spectacle, directed by Steven Spielberg from an idea hatched by executive producer George Lucas, succeeds in fusing the most playful and exciting elements of Spielberg's "Jaws" and Lucas' "Star Wars" in a fresh format. It is a transcendent blend of heroic exploits, cliffhangers and chases distilled with nostalgia and wit from the pulp thrillers, comic books and Republic serials of the World War II era. [12 June 1981, p.E1]
  3. Reviewed by: Pauline Kael
    Jun 1, 2016
    Seeing “Raiders” is like being put through a Cuisinart—something has been done to us, but not to our benefit.