Rampart

5.9

1. Feb 16, 2012
    I really wanted to see this movie, and after seeing it, I wanted to like it. However, this movie is flat out terrible. It's a shame, because Woody Harrelson is truly amazing in his role. He's in literally every scene and does everything he can to carry the movie. After his performance though, there isn't one other redeeming aspect of this movie. There is basically NO plot, and theI really wanted to see this movie, and after seeing it, I wanted to like it. However, this movie is flat out terrible. It's a shame, because Woody Harrelson is truly amazing in his role. He's in literally every scene and does everything he can to carry the movie. After his performance though, there isn't one other redeeming aspect of this movie. There is basically NO plot, and the little there is doesn't make any sense. Not because it's complicated, but because it never goes anywhere, and when it does the writers seem to withhold certain aspects of the plot. They must do this to create some sort of "mystery", but the plot is so simple that it's not necessary. When the movie does end, I still didn't fully understand what the he** happened for what was a very dull 2 hours. This wasn't the intention of writers, it was a lazy half-a$$ed script. EVERYBODY behind the scenes of this movie should be disgusted with themselves, for bringing their D game at best, when Woody brought his A game. What a wasted performance, and just proof that you need a whole lot more than a strong acting performance to make a movie good... or even halfway decent for that matter. Expand
  2. Apr 1, 2012
    Let's say Rampart has good portion for dirty cop movie; sex, violence, breaking law and trouble movie. But it's not my movie, I don't like it in any capacity or maybe Oscar voter too?
  3. Feb 24, 2012
    Woody Harrelson gave a great performance but that's as good as it gets with this movie. There is no reason to see this unless you are bored and enjoy wasting your time, and If you are so bored that you consider watching this movie, go and buy some drugs or something instead , at least that way you will get more for your money!
  4. Jun 14, 2012
    This was a real "downer" movie with a terrible ending. Why do investors waste money on trash like this?
    The only thing that made this worth watching was Woody Harrelson who was exceptional and carried the whole pix. Where have all the good writers gone?
  5. Jun 16, 2012
    Booooring. No plot. No resolution. Didn't care about anyone at the end of the movie, or at any point on the way through. None of Harrelson's relationships made sense.
  6. Nov 25, 2014
    This one was a special kind of horrible that few movies can attain, which makes it almost impressive. Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster were great, but I honestly had to shut this one off. I loved Oren Moverman's debut film, The Messenger, but this was a giant step back back. The subject matter was repulsive and the characters (especially Harrelson's) were entirely unlikable and off-putting.This one was a special kind of horrible that few movies can attain, which makes it almost impressive. Woody Harrelson and Ben Foster were great, but I honestly had to shut this one off. I loved Oren Moverman's debut film, The Messenger, but this was a giant step back back. The subject matter was repulsive and the characters (especially Harrelson's) were entirely unlikable and off-putting. The camera work at times was horrendous. There was one scene where three characters were talking and for some unknown reason they decided to have the camera continuously spin between the characters, which was nauseating to say the least. Overall, this one was a complete and utter failure. I can make it to the end of most films no matter what, but I just could not stick out the final half an hour. It was that bad. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Mar 1, 2012
    Ellroy's bully-boy schtick is getting stale, and Moverman is overly beholden to it.
  2. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Mar 1, 2012
    One of the problems with Rampart is that we've seen guys like Dave in movies and on TV for years now. The bad cop psyche has been delved into pretty deeply on all fronts, most notably in FX's brilliant series "The Shield."
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Mar 1, 2012
    Brown is a sick man, but Harrelson makes him so interesting, so charismatic, so ... watchable, that you can't look away, even if his actions make you want to (and they will).