1. Jan 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Still waiting for the movie to end quite frankly. This movie draws you in with it's over the top portrayal of a bent cop who dishes out "street justice" mainly to thugs and cretins that deserve it, but he obviously has a twisted personal life as evidenced by the fact that he (sometimes) lives with the two women he has children with. Making the home life even more ridiculous is the fact that those women are sisters. Making one of his daughters ask him if they are "inbred".

The movie creates a web of lies and conspiracy, perceived or real, that's for you to decide. Throws in some big (ish) names stars to try and add some legitimacy to the story but fails miserably because NONE of the conflicts in the movie are resolved. No, not one. The movie goes off with no resolution except for the one you may make up in your mind.

And ending like this to a movie this complex is simply lazy. If you can't write an ending then don't make the movie. Woody Harrelson plays a "dirty" cop, but is surrounded by people trying to catch him that are just as, or more, dirty as he is.

If you like movies that you have to make up your own ending you'll love this one. If you like a resolution to your stories, let this one fade away.
  2. Jan 2, 2012
    This has a Drive-ish atmosphere. There is something missing in the storyline that might have put the movie among the best this year had that missing been in it. The only consolation that you get from watching this movie is Woody Harrelson's acting which is worthy of a nomination, otherwise you need to constantly pinch yourself to keep you awake.

3. May 29, 2012
    Good movie but without the boom factor! Harrelson plays a character who confuses, or is it damned or are paranoid. the story leaves you blank, perhaps because the trunk is a lack of something to shudder. only light is a line that takes you to almost 2 hours of a man with problems.
  4. Apr 15, 2012
    Woody harrelson delivers a strong performance in a weak plotted film. The character study for me did not keep my interest. There were extremely well made scenes that brought me into this man's madness. On the contrary the film did not deliver enough intrigue to keep the viewers attention. For a similar character study watch drive. For a better dirty cop movie watch Herzog's bad lieutenant.
  5. Jun 9, 2012
    Why do people think it is interesting to tell nihilistic stories? I don't get it. The movie is nothing more than spending 100 minutes in another person's hell. What can I take away from it? I guess that we must prefer anything that keeps people away from the abyss.

1. Reviewed by: Shawn Levy
    Mar 1, 2012
    Ellroy's bully-boy schtick is getting stale, and Moverman is overly beholden to it.
  2. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Mar 1, 2012
    One of the problems with Rampart is that we've seen guys like Dave in movies and on TV for years now. The bad cop psyche has been delved into pretty deeply on all fronts, most notably in FX's brilliant series "The Shield."
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Mar 1, 2012
    Brown is a sick man, but Harrelson makes him so interesting, so charismatic, so ... watchable, that you can't look away, even if his actions make you want to (and they will).