7.5

1. pcg
    Mar 5, 2011
    Great graphics, stupid "humor", totally empty storyline. My 3-year-old and I both fell asleep, and neither of us was ever engaged. No one in the (packed) theater really was. I kept wondering why I bother with non-Pixar animated movies anymore; everything else is poop humor and cheap laughs and big name voiceovers, rather than timeless storylines and sublime humor. Even the trailers wereGreat graphics, stupid "humor", totally empty storyline. My 3-year-old and I both fell asleep, and neither of us was ever engaged. No one in the (packed) theater really was. I kept wondering why I bother with non-Pixar animated movies anymore; everything else is poop humor and cheap laughs and big name voiceovers, rather than timeless storylines and sublime humor. Even the trailers were lame.

Save your money.
  2. Mar 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unoriginal script about the guy who inspire everybody , all find out he is a fake, and turns out to be a hero after all. Not even a refreshed looked at the same story. It is slow and I believe that it has a high score because it is Johnny Deep voice. Expand
  3. Mar 17, 2011
    Based on favorable reviews I selected this movie for my sonâ
  4. May 7, 2011
    I absolutely was lost from beginning to end. The visuals were okay, but I fell asleep 2/3 into it. The biggest gap between the critics and my own personal review in a long time. Not recommended.
  5. Mar 5, 2011
    The most unusual 3D animated feature film I have ever seen. Gore Verbinski and Industrial Light & Magic has opened up a whole new dimension in the field formerly dominated by pixar and dreamworks. The images and animation in this film is of such photograhic quality that sometimes it just seems so real that I find myself lost in the desert just like rango.....Not that it's a bad thing, asThe most unusual 3D animated feature film I have ever seen. Gore Verbinski and Industrial Light & Magic has opened up a whole new dimension in the field formerly dominated by pixar and dreamworks. The images and animation in this film is of such photograhic quality that sometimes it just seems so real that I find myself lost in the desert just like rango.....Not that it's a bad thing, as the story is superbly engaging, the jokes were so absurd that it's funny and the animation was totally convincing given the realistic nature of the visuals. All in all, if you are the type of person who isn't afraid to try something new, who wouldn't mind getting yourself dirty in a mud bath for the sake of FUN, then this movie is DEFINITELY worth your while! Expand
  6. Mar 31, 2011
    I am reviewing this as a parent not as an adult, my wife went into this movie thinking it was a kids film with our 5, 6 and 7 year old, it is PG and animated, yet it says the "hell" constantly and even said "son of a **** ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME YOU ELITIST HOLLYWOOD HACKS!? I know you idiots like imposing your lack of standards on every person that goes to the movies, but advertiseI am reviewing this as a parent not as an adult, my wife went into this movie thinking it was a kids film with our 5, 6 and 7 year old, it is PG and animated, yet it says the "hell" constantly and even said "son of a **** ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME YOU ELITIST HOLLYWOOD HACKS!? I know you idiots like imposing your lack of standards on every person that goes to the movies, but advertise that it might not be best for my preschooler!!!!! All of this was only in the first 40 minutes but we were able to get our money back. So there is most likely more. Not only the language but my kids had not clue what was going on and my 6 year old told my wife that he was scared and wanted to leave, same kid that watched the Clone Wars Movie two years ago. This will make us think twice about our kids watching Nickelodeon or going to any movies by them, trust has been broken. Expand
  7. Apr 18, 2011
    i watched it for ten minutes and was bored out of my mind, this film has no storyline and i could only watch ten minutes of it now that has to say something
  8. Mar 5, 2011
    My wife and I took our son to see Rango today. I have to say that I was very disappointed with the language used in this "so called" kids movie. To be honest my wife and I were shocked at the language that was used at the end of the movie. All it takes is one movie like this to start pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable. Soon others will start doing the same kind of thing. I reallyMy wife and I took our son to see Rango today. I have to say that I was very disappointed with the language used in this "so called" kids movie. To be honest my wife and I were shocked at the language that was used at the end of the movie. All it takes is one movie like this to start pushing the boundaries of what is acceptable. Soon others will start doing the same kind of thing. I really hate to even think about what will be acceptable for kids movies in twenty or thirty years. This is really unfortunate. Expand
  9. Mar 10, 2011
    Let me get the good stuff out of the way first. This was a beautiful movie, visually. Industrial Light & Magic has given Pixar Animation a run for it's money. In some ways, the visual beauty of this film surpasses anything that Pixar has ever produce. The humor is indeed quite dry, which is right up my alley. And there were some times where I genuinely laughed out loud and enjoyed myself.Let me get the good stuff out of the way first. This was a beautiful movie, visually. Industrial Light & Magic has given Pixar Animation a run for it's money. In some ways, the visual beauty of this film surpasses anything that Pixar has ever produce. The humor is indeed quite dry, which is right up my alley. And there were some times where I genuinely laughed out loud and enjoyed myself. These are the good things; on to the bad.
    This is not a kid's film. It doesn't matter that it's being promoted as one. It doesn't matter that the trailers before the movie were all kid's films. This isn't one of them.
    As several others have commented, the language is borderline atrocious, especially compared to other animated films. There are some very heavy themes in this film. There are scenes of intense violence, compared to other animated films. There are scenes of the protagonist's "mystical revelations" that will go right over your child's head. In fact, trying to wrap your mind around this film will only result in a headache, as it is designed to make the viewer search for some kind of meaning, when there is none. There are MANY occult references in the film. References that only those adept to spotting them will notice. Meanwhile, the rest of the audience (esp. the kids) will soak it up subconsciously without ever noticing. There are vague Luciferic references, alongside references to the lost city of Atlantis, the Zodiac, etc, that make me feel like this film is meant to convey a certain message to a very specific group of people.
    What else can I say? I fell asleep about an hour in, woke up with about 30 minutes left. Perhaps the best parts of this film were between the 17 minutes that I slept through, but I kindly doubt it.
    Jonny Depp fanatics will love the film. Young adults on drugs will also love it. Your kids? Probably not.
  10. Apr 8, 2011
    Rango is a dark, dry, frightening, ugly film. I honestly can't understand how it could be considered a children's film; I was genuinely surprised. There's smoking, swearing, death, gun violence, cults, sexual innuendo, and very scary images. The characters are not very lovable, with the exception of a cute possum girl. Most of the humor is cheap slapstick or tired pop culture references.Rango is a dark, dry, frightening, ugly film. I honestly can't understand how it could be considered a children's film; I was genuinely surprised. There's smoking, swearing, death, gun violence, cults, sexual innuendo, and very scary images. The characters are not very lovable, with the exception of a cute possum girl. Most of the humor is cheap slapstick or tired pop culture references. On the plus side, Rango does have an interesting style and the animation is technically very stunning to look at; there's more texture and fluidity than a lot of animated films. But I would not put this on the level of Pixar or even Dreamworks. It breaks my heart because I like Johnny Depp and am a fan of CGI films, and I really wanted to like this movie. But it just left me feeling empty inside. Some people may enjoy the dark tone of the film but I would strongly recommend parents not to take their children. Expand
  11. Jun 18, 2011
    My 7 year old daughter wanted to buy this on DVD when it came out. She took me on a tour of the film via the multitude of extended clips on youtube. I was BORED senseless. I found this website to try and determine WHY I was so BORED with essentially a very colourful, beautifully rendered film. Thankfully I found many reviewers shared my CONCERNS. Many reviewers her have given this tediousMy 7 year old daughter wanted to buy this on DVD when it came out. She took me on a tour of the film via the multitude of extended clips on youtube. I was BORED senseless. I found this website to try and determine WHY I was so BORED with essentially a very colourful, beautifully rendered film. Thankfully I found many reviewers shared my CONCERNS. Many reviewers her have given this tedious and uninspiring film high scores. To me it's a bit like saying," Dad has a new car. It is visually stunning and beautifully realised. However it has no interior/engine/gearbox etc and can never be driven." The characters are dull. The story is even duller. As someone else here has articulately pointed out; there are themes here and language used that are inappropriate for children's entertainment. "Rango" and "Entertainment" should never appear in the same sentence. There is an insidious move in the film industry to push adult themes further and further down the age-ladder. I for one am bored senseless with the pretentious notion of films like this "Paying homage to.....blah blah." If you have a serious problem with INSOMNIA then I highly recommend purchasing this as a bluray DVD....You will be fast asleep in 10 minutes. To conclude: A colour rich, well-rendered film for adults who enjoy juvenile entertainment that masquerades as a children's film. Expand
  12. Jul 15, 2011
    This is not a kid-friendly movie! It contains mild profanity, violence, jokes about "private parts," and characters that would scare small children. Highly disappointed because the trailer looked so entertaining, but it wasn't remotely funny, even for adults. Not worth the rental fee
  13. Jul 17, 2011
    Lots of kids' movies use adult humor, but Rango makes the jokes so blatantly and repeatedly that it's painful for a mature mind. And it's not just here and there; every other piece of dialogue contains some kind of embarrassing sexual joke, or poop joke. Rango has it's own brand of humor; too ahead of children to understand, and too immature for adults to laugh at. Some teens may possiblyLots of kids' movies use adult humor, but Rango makes the jokes so blatantly and repeatedly that it's painful for a mature mind. And it's not just here and there; every other piece of dialogue contains some kind of embarrassing sexual joke, or poop joke. Rango has it's own brand of humor; too ahead of children to understand, and too immature for adults to laugh at. Some teens may possibly like it. So yeah, the humor will confuse intelligent moviegoers and the younger generation, but anyone else who doesn't really care will enjoy the amazing visual direction and great character designs. I myself like this movie for the art piece that it is, and it's sad that Rango is chained down by crap writing. Expand
  14. BKM
    Aug 15, 2011
    Rango is certainly different than most of the other computer animated films out there and it is visually rich as wel. But the story never fully engaged me. I was always aware that I was watching a movie instead of being swept up in the story. Combine that with an undeniable sense of smugness resulting from the film's "not as funny as it thinks it is" brand of humor and the end result isRango is certainly different than most of the other computer animated films out there and it is visually rich as wel. But the story never fully engaged me. I was always aware that I was watching a movie instead of being swept up in the story. Combine that with an undeniable sense of smugness resulting from the film's "not as funny as it thinks it is" brand of humor and the end result is an astonishingly dull creation. Expand
  15. Jan 21, 2012
    Rango is animated version of Jack Sparrow. Plot is not good. It is parody of masterpieces. It is not original. Characters looks so ugly. The onlly good thing about film is Depp and Verbinski collaboration.
  16. Feb 7, 2012
    I was bitterly disappointed by Rango. It tried to be a cross between a Western and kids' movie and failed. The title character is an idiot and the storyline was mediocre. Save your money for another movie.
  17. Nov 23, 2014
    Rango es una película que no solo cuenta con buenos efectos de animación, si no que además ofrece una historia entretenida e interesante situada al estilo de "viejo oeste".
  18. Dec 19, 2011
    I did not give a perfect score not to exaggerate, but certainly one of the best animated films of all time. A true delight that shows that not only PIXAR entertain and knows to send a message.
  19. Dec 28, 2011
    I loved this movie. It is really interesting and well written and goes into the problem of teenagers and how it is difficult for them to find out who they really are and where they fit in this world. Anyway, that's what I got out of this movie. I can understand how many children may not be entertained by this movie. I would not recommend taking your kids to see this movie, bu I thinkI loved this movie. It is really interesting and well written and goes into the problem of teenagers and how it is difficult for them to find out who they really are and where they fit in this world. Anyway, that's what I got out of this movie. I can understand how many children may not be entertained by this movie. I would not recommend taking your kids to see this movie, bu I think parents complaining about the use of foul language need to get a grip of themselves. Your child, whether you like it or not, is probably constantly exposed to "foul " words like hell and damn at their school. It is not that big of a deal. If your that sensitive with your kids then do some research on the film you take them to watch Expand
  20. Mar 11, 2012
    Never seen anything like this. If people can't handle the originality about it, they should really not be saying anything about it. It reflects a lot of people. Lost and not sure who they are or where they belong, but in the end, realize they can be that heroe people need to look up to. You gotta be a little older to understand this movie, if not, you couldn't appreciate the point of thisNever seen anything like this. If people can't handle the originality about it, they should really not be saying anything about it. It reflects a lot of people. Lost and not sure who they are or where they belong, but in the end, realize they can be that heroe people need to look up to. You gotta be a little older to understand this movie, if not, you couldn't appreciate the point of this movie. It makes YOU grow a bit too... Expand
  21. Mar 26, 2012
    Rango is the most unusual animated movie out this year, it is an original title from a studio that has never produced a film like this. Also it marks the first western in animation. While the story is like a typical western, it is still quite interesting. It tells the tale of big business taking advantage of the little guys. And how the little guys are just as important as the bigRango is the most unusual animated movie out this year, it is an original title from a studio that has never produced a film like this. Also it marks the first western in animation. While the story is like a typical western, it is still quite interesting. It tells the tale of big business taking advantage of the little guys. And how the little guys are just as important as the big leaders.

Another note worthy achievement is in the animation. The textures are so real and the movement is so fluid especially with the villain, a giant rattle snake. It goes for photo realism and achieves in creating realistic looking creatures. However, certain characters fall into the uncanny valley. Characters tend to look unappealing and quite disturbing. The musical score is also good. It captures the western vibe.

The movie has a lot going for it, except the humor. The humor to me feels forced and it tries too hard. It becomes pandering and quite ridiculous. The film and characters try really hard to be funny and weird for the sake of some cheap laughs. The movie also takes a while to start up and I mean a while. The movie doesnâ
  22. Aug 10, 2012
    What starts as a simple story about a lizard turns into a hero tale, parody, and spaghetti western all tied into one. John Logan's script is pure genius while Johnny Depp brings the small lizard to life.
  23. Oct 10, 2012
    There's a lot going on in Rango, some good, some bad, and come outright confusing. The good; the cinematography and action set pieces are absolutely astounding. There are funny moments, for young and old, as well.
    The bad; you can argue that the plot is more or less nonexistent and was probably thought up in perhaps 2 minutes. Poor execution of said plot as well.
    The Confusing; There is
    The Confusing; There is some language that seems more orientated towards older audiences, such as a few mild swear words. And for a movie that was supposed to be directed towards children, perhaps not suitable. But, to older viewers, the dialogue is a refreshing bit instead of "Ah Crud," or "Heck!"
  24. Dec 6, 2012
    Great! The best animated film of 2011, hands down. The perfect combination of the Western genre and modern animation capabilities. Add to that some great voice work and you have a very entertaining film.
  25. Feb 21, 2013
    Rango seems to have divided opinions a lot. I don't think kids would enjoy it much, as the humor is dry and so is the setting. It may easily be perceived as dull and slow, but i think it's a clever movie. People may not be able to relate to the protagonist but there are other great movies and TV shows where the main character may come across as pretentious and annoying, but only confidentRango seems to have divided opinions a lot. I don't think kids would enjoy it much, as the humor is dry and so is the setting. It may easily be perceived as dull and slow, but i think it's a clever movie. People may not be able to relate to the protagonist but there are other great movies and TV shows where the main character may come across as pretentious and annoying, but only confident artists would take such risks. I would always appreciate the avoidance of cliches of likable heroes, as the world is not made that way. But having said that, this is an animated movie and perhaps it should have done something to make it more accessible by children. Or maybe the time has come to deal with serious matters in animated films that should be targeted at grown ups. Rango had excellent visuals and script. The plot and the characters were all engaging. This is my opinion anyway. Expand
  26. Mar 11, 2013
    Not a johnny Depp fan but since I didn't have to see his hobo looking self, I sucked it up and agreed to make this a date night movie. What a surprise. It ended up being my favorite animated film. An action packed animated film that looks and sounds great. Love the Clint Eastwood reference. The snake was pretty bad ass! Packed a lot of punch for a Kids movie!
  27. Mar 24, 2013
    Unworthy of its Oscar win. A boring plot line finished with a dull climax.
  28. Jul 10, 2013
    Un excelente comienzo para Paramount Pictures logrando una excelente pelicula, Rango demuestra gran diseño artistico y una gran enseñanza, agradezco a los productores por este gran Film.
  29. Aug 16, 2013
    While Rango’s story and characters are cliché it is not that distracting because of how entertaining the film is. It is edgy with some mature writing, the characters are edgy and likeable, and the presentation is fantastic with some great animation and character designs. Had the filmmakers come up with a more original story this film would have been amazing but as it is it is still reallyWhile Rango’s story and characters are cliché it is not that distracting because of how entertaining the film is. It is edgy with some mature writing, the characters are edgy and likeable, and the presentation is fantastic with some great animation and character designs. Had the filmmakers come up with a more original story this film would have been amazing but as it is it is still really entertaining and definitely worth a watch. Parents just make sure your little kids do not see this or they will learn a lot of fowl language. Expand
  30. Nov 1, 2013
    What a glorious surprise ‘Rango’ turned out to be, it isn’t a dumbed down animated comedy or a family-oriented cartoon, its a very smart and beautifully rendered adventure that is a treat to look at, with a vast array of colourful and larger than life characters that look bright and cheerful as they light up the already bright screen. The setting of of the film is first and foremost, aWhat a glorious surprise ‘Rango’ turned out to be, it isn’t a dumbed down animated comedy or a family-oriented cartoon, its a very smart and beautifully rendered adventure that is a treat to look at, with a vast array of colourful and larger than life characters that look bright and cheerful as they light up the already bright screen. The setting of of the film is first and foremost, a Western, it delivers subtle but also not so subtle nods to the genre that defined an era, even if you haven’t seen the many films it borrows its content from, there is still enough to like about it, especially Rango himself. Johnny Depp lends his voice to the character, a run of the mill lizard, but his journey to an unknown location is disrupted after a roadkill, so he ends up deceiving his way into a local town called Dirt, which is running dangerously low on water supply while also being held under fear from the various villainous creatures of the town. As the film progresses, its clear to see the linear it follows, much the same as a Western, it has the stranger who isn’t part of the town, he breaks social order by confronting the rulers of the town, while he also has the chance to become honest. Rango tries his best to pull the wool over the eyes of the citizens, but birds, snakes and other unsavoury creatures make this quite difficult. Each character has been excellently brought to life through their voice actor, and through their relevant roles on screen, Bill Nighy and Ray Winstone are the ideal villainous cretins who terrorise the town, so Ned Beatty’s mayor decides that Rango should wear the Sheriff’s badge. The witty and smartly-drawn humour of the film is brilliant, it’s sort of a grown-up animation that has a variety of deadpan humour. Director Gore Verbinski shows his skills when commanding the great action sequences, there is a delightful chase sequence in the many canyons of the wild west that sums up the brilliance of the whole film, fast-talking, fast-paced and full of characters who could easily belong in a real film, they have limitless amounts of energy while the film has limitless amounts of opportunities to parody classical films such as Apocalypse Now and the endless amount of Westerns, it even use the talents of Timothy Olyphant to nod in the direction of the “Man With No Name”. This is a surprising and uplifting comedy that is colourful, breathtaking to look at and definitely raises the bar for a first rate story along with some excellent involvement of Hollywood stars, they bring the added flavour to the characters involved as Rango tries to figure out the water problem. Beauty and first-rate entertainment at its finest. Expand

1. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Mar 7, 2011
    Rango is the poster child for those who are anti-3-D, and a great reminder that genuine creativity doesn't need a gimmicky crutch to appeal to audiences.
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Mar 5, 2011
    A certain percentage of the audience will instantly sieze on this as their favorite movie of all time, and a small, but not insignificant demographic will have nightmares. Verbinski and Depp probably like it that way.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Mar 4, 2011
    The best of Rango is a lot like the best of the first "Pirates" movie – crazily funny and rambunctious.