7.1

1. Oct 6, 2014
    Just seen it, and I absolutely hated the kid... spoiled / ruined / blemished / atrociously KILLED the movie for me. Go Hugh Jackman, Atom & Noisy Boy! Robots Rule! But not in this movie.
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    I have no great love for boxing movies; I find that they have the same plot, pretty much ("Rocky Balboa" I watched and liked because of Milo Ventimiglia). Robot boxing, as an idea, seemed interesting to me (maybe it has to do with my love for the Transformers franchise), and Hugh Jackman, while not my favorite actor, didn't hurt.

With a slightly slow-ish start, the movie moves forward,
    and a traditional story of an old star who can no longer stay in the game becomes obvious. Throw in a son from a now-dead ex-girlfriend, whom he hasn't seen, and you have a story of personal growth in your hands. Charlie (Hugh Jackman) makes the same mistakes over and over, and you want to hit him on the head for that. It's good that his son Max (Dakota Goyo) does that a fair bit.

The two seem to have nothing in common until Max finds an old sparring bot and decides it will be his robot. Charlie, who is pretty much struggling at this point, allows his son this small ray of light and eventually finds his son might have an idea or two to give him when it comes to robot boxing and rediscovering the fighting spirit.

Bailey (beautiful Evangeline Lilly) and Charlie have some kind of thing going on, but I think that was really unnecessary. It was good they didn't bring that to the front too much.

The most important relationship is that of Charlie and Max - and their robot, Atom, that in the ends proves that a sparring bot can take on a champion.

I found the whole concept of the movie very interesting, and they explained the past of robot boxing and the system altogether quite satisfactorily.

When it came to the main event, a fight with the unchallenged champion Zeus, you can see one of the most annoying things they adopted from boxing movies; the whole story has been progressing at a fairly lazy pace, at least in the beginning, and when the most interesting part begins, they cut it short by showing the first round, some of the second one, then cut into the last round with slow-motion clips. I know it would probably get boring to watch several rounds of robots smacking each other, but this way, it was underlined how quickly they cut to the finale, instead of giving the audience more of what made the whole movie so awesome.

All in all an exhilarating, brilliant movie that was touching and adrenaline-pumping at the same time.

A special mention for Zeus' creator, Tak Mashido (Karl Yune); they didn't show him too much, or tell too much about him, but he was absolutely one of my favorites in the film!

I also found it quite amusing that in the future, they still haven't managed to create wireless microphones. ;)
  3. Jul 4, 2014
    Really stupid movie. I was cringing and squirming in my seat for 90% of the movie because it was so cheesy and melodramatic and the only pay off for this were a few robot fight scenes which were at least entertaining (unlike the human story.) This is probably the most annoying child actor I've ever seen (yes even worse than Anakin.) I think I nearly shot myself in the head whenever that little brat decided to dance. Hugh Jackman was good though. What can I say? The guy is a movie star. Expand
  4. May 19, 2014
    In the near future, for reasons that are only briefly alluded to, boxing has been replaced by the ‘Robot Boxing League’. A down on his luck ex-boxer (and now robot boxing promoter) finds out he has an eleven year old son and they attempt to take a discarded old robot to the top of game.

Real Steel is basically a mis-mash of the Rocky movies featuring giant robots and that is every bit
    as ridiculous and entertaining as that sounds. The story of a father connecting with his previously unknown son is clichéd, and occasionally a bit to saccharine, not really doing anything that hasn’t been seen in hundreds of other movies but thanks to the excellent visual effects and well directed action sequences this is a film that achieves exactly what it sets out to do. Expand
  5. Jan 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I kept on waiting for a "ghost in the shell" plot that never materialized. I don't have a problem with the father/son story, but remote controlled robots as a big time event is too silly for me. Perhaps if they had gone a little closer to reality and featured a father/son robot story based on what has already been done in robot fighting, i.e. Battle Bots, and kept it small time I would have accepted it. But I really needed the kid's bot to turn out to be another Sonny, from I, Robot; or B1-66ER of The Matrix; or Andrew of Bicentennial Man; and to give that line of the story a lot of face time. At the end it seems clear that Atom, the robot, was indeed working autonomously but it comes too little too late. (Also, it's not super clear weather or not this is a robot with a human soul, or 'Ghost', or simply a learning computer AI being slightly evolved...).

Also, "Who, Boy, let's fight a bull!" not being a tragedy but a hokey way to introduce the father's loosing streak? Not cool. You want to feature CG animal abuse, fine, but you don't treat it like fun.
  6. Oct 29, 2013
    Good film for young audiences. The action-packed fighting scenes is incredible, the story/plot is good (and like what I said before, the plot is (kinda) for young audiences.

Other than that, good movie, great battle scenes and very cool acting.
  7. Jun 27, 2013
    Real Steel is a knock out win. With the heart of a champion and the humanity required to make a robot come to life, this movie is without a doubt one of greatest heaps of fun I didn't see coming. I can't say that everyone is going to love it as much as I did, but Real Steel's ability to capture the imagination is hard to turn away from. On top of that, the inevitable David vs Goliath moment is one that js hard to forget. I can't remember an underdog movie that I enjoyed as much as this. Highly recommended. Expand
  8. Jun 26, 2013
    Did not expect to be giving this film a 9, but it's fun, exciting, and very easy to get emotionally invested. Director Shawn Levy has a very spotty record, but this is his best work.
  9. Apr 29, 2013
    As soon as the first of many electrifying robot battles in "Real Steal" went underway, I found myself instinctively recalling old memories that I didn't know I still had. I remember how I used set aside furniture in the living room to create space for an arena. I would gather my toys in that arena, and our gang would have some fun. I thrashed them all around, pounded them against each other, and flung them against the ruthless ceiling. Things would be cooler if my stuff could do more than just withstand nonstop hammering, but it was a restriction that my imagination couldn't handle.

"Real Steel" is the giant robot action movie my inner child has been waiting for. It demonstrates deep affection for its robots by investing in aesthetic qualities that similar movies are indifferent to. Each machine is skillfully designed. All the robots enjoy such a specific shape, physique, color and theme that we can identify any of them upon sight. And because professional boxers were motion-captured to generate the mechanical fights we see on screen, the movements between these visually appealing robots are authentic and in harmony. Here is a good example of a special effects movie that doesn't depend on computers to do all the work.

The world in "Real Steel" has reached a time where man is no longer permitted to box. The roars of the crowd appear to like the replacement of human fighters: huge, towering robots that are assembled to disassemble their challengers through brute force. Robot boxing has become so popular a sport that we see it being held in vacant alleys, dark warehouses, and luxurious stadiums. This is the kind of sport that I would prefer to watch from afar. You do not want to be in the front row, uninsured, when one of those massive robots gets tossed out of the ring.

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/real-steel-movie-review/
  10. Mar 31, 2013
    it's a great movie with an usual story i mean you can't see robots rustling everyday and it was great idea for Hugh Jackman to Starr-in after the boring x-men sequences i loved the energy and the effort putting in this movie and definitely will watch the rest of the sequence if there is any.
  11. Mar 9, 2013
    Great font of entertainment, and awesome adventure with little messages, perfect and adaptable for all ages, it's not a great and touching movie but is funny and have a great history.
  12. Jan 12, 2013
    Real Steel was more or less an average movie. While the story and characters felt undeveloped, it was quite entertaining watching the fight scenes. The acting was not bad, but was not the best neither. It was like a mix from Rocky and Transformers.
  13. Nov 29, 2012
    This movie was way better than I expected going in. The acting is outstanding, the story is interesting and pulls you in, the action and fighting scenes are phenomenal, etc. Honestly, it's essentially Rocky with robots. The only negative I have about the movie is that the premise is a bit silly but if you can look past that, this really is a fantastic film. The idiotic critics didn't find it to be a good movie but then again, they're rarely correct with any of their assessments. They tend to think unique, even if terrible, is better than great but a little cliche. I can't disagree more. This movie, outside of the robot element, has been told a 100 times before but it is still a strong movie in its own right and worth watching. Expand
  14. Nov 5, 2012
    Ok Real Steel, the new Shawn Levy movie, what happen? The movie is really funny, have awesome effects, good performances, good cast, good trama. Real Steel is a good show for all the family.
  15. Nov 4, 2012
    Very funny, heaps of action, altogether Real Steel is a great stay at home movie. It can trigger emotions, but straight away all that is whisked away by fighting, dancing robots. In conclusion, I would definitely recommend this to anyone wondering if it's worth it. Trust me, you will laugh out loud!
  16. Aug 25, 2012
    This was no where near as bad as I first thought it could be and in my head all I could hear was the Rocky soundtrack but still, this film isn't amazing either. Parts of it were emotional, a very tiny proportion was funny and some bits were charming. A standard film made for children.
  17. Aug 13, 2012
    56? Are you serious? Real Steel is one of my favourite movies. I know that it isn´t perfect, but it is a very good movie. There are a lot of better movies, but Real Steel is almost perfect.
  18. Jul 27, 2012
    Either the majority of reviewers on here are HIGH, paid by the studio or legitimately idiots. I'm sorry but this movie sucked. And not just in a silly, formulaic, seen-it-before kinda way. This movie is bad from such a fundamental level that it literally pissed me off while I was watching it. Let me clarify that I was excited to see this movie. I missed it in theaters but it's always been on my list of movies to see. So when I popped it in, I had no idea that by the 10 minute mark I'd be ready to rip my eyes and ears out. The writing is atrocious. I'm talking, abysmal dialogue, vague character motivations that seem to change on a whim, and probably the most annoying kid character ever. So... an 11 year old is fluent in Japanese (because he plays video games, of course), a hip hop dancing prodigy, and the most innovative fight promoter/manager of all time. That makes total sense.

I give this movie a 2 only because the robot fight scenes are cool. They are the only reason to watch but honestly, it hardly matters when you try to get through the s*** dialogue and the worst rap/hard rock soundtrack I may have ever heard. If you value two hours of your life, I urge you not to see this movie. It's not even bad in a fun way. You will hate everyone involved with this film and you'll question Hugh Jackman's willingness to go along with this farce of a film. I don't write reviews often but Reel Steel is so awful and these reviews are completely giving everyone the wrong impression. You will not cheer, you will not clap and you will not shed a tear. Except when you realize what a waste of two hours this crapfest is.
  19. Jul 27, 2012
    This movie is legendary. It is everything you want in a family film and more. It has robots and intense fighting scenes but this film also weaves in a real sense of heart, humanity. It makes you laugh, cry, shout, snicker and say awww. Not only a movie that is filled with adrenaline, but also a movie with a great deal of heart. It is in line with great classics like Rocky, definitely a movie that you will want to watch over and over. I do not know what is wrong with the people who give it a low remark, i think they are insane or just plain dumb. The kids 10 years old, give him a break!! And bad acting, bad music, bad storyline?! What the **** is wrong with all of you?! The reader of my review, PLEASE trust me when I say that they are outta they're mind, it is an amazing movie and you'd be filled with regret if you didn't watch it. It is amazing and I applaud the ones who created it, thank you. Expand
  20. Jul 22, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised at Real Steel. I was expecting a Rocky carbon copy at best, and another Transformers instalment at worst. Yes, it does owe a lot to earlier boxing movies, the Rocky series in particular, from which it "borrows" entire story arcs, but it still manages to present enough new ideas to leave its own mark. At its very heart, Real Steel is a very human story about an estranged father and son growing to love each other through a shared passion, and through shared struggles. The film also has exhilarating action, interesting visuals which blend the futuristic with the retro, and an unexpected amount of decent laughs. Hugh Jackman does what he does best - playing another gruff streetwise smart-ass hiding a kind heart, and Kevin Durand makes a good villain, a rich and brutal Deep South scumbag. Everyone in the cast is acted off the screen however by the young Dakota Goyo, who looks a bit like The Phantom Menace's Jake Lloyd but has bucket loads of attitude and considerably more talent. Despite the film getting so many fundamentals right, you have to ask what the character of Evangeline Lilly's boxing club owner Bailey brings to film beyond bubbling romantic implications with Jackman's Charlie, you have to ask why the film needs to be over two hours long, and you also have to ask why Real Steel needs fighting robots at all. My guess is that the decision was purely mercenary, as the story would have worked just as well as a contemporary tale about a damaged father-son relationship that is healed through their shared experience with boxing. But hey, robots beating each other to rust is cool, and you really can't complain much when the resulting film is this fun. Expand
  21. Jun 8, 2012
    It's hard to knockdown a movie like Real Steel. Hugh Jackman is a genuinely good actor with a nice supporting cast surrounding him. The visuals are incorporated well that you don't think twice about them being around humans, and the fight scenes are well filmed. But when the actions slows and the humans come into the picture, it begins to strain its story with too many emotional highs and "big" moments. Worse still, it thinks its sly with these situations, which makes it seem a little shameless. It' not a bad movie, but its not the great movie it thinks it is. Expand
  22. May 26, 2012
    Yeah, I'm comparing this movie to Transformers. Deal with it. Real Steel takes place in the near future, 2014 I believe, where robots have replaced humans for boxing. People still control the robots by a controller that looks like an technologically advanced version of the Wii U controller. Anyways, the story follows Charlie Kenton (Hugh Jackman), a former boxer, who got into robot boxing but seems to be losing his touch. When he finds out that his ex-girlfriend has died, he must take care of his child, Max (Dakota Goyo), for just a while before his sister in law comes back from Italy. During this time, Charlie buys another robot and it ends up getting getting pummeled. After a while, Max stumbles upon an old Generation 2 sparring robot, Atom Expand
  23. May 12, 2012
    Not comparing it to the Iron Giant or Rocky. Movie's CGI effects are the real deal.Fighting scenes and the concept is great but the story and acting is not that good.. i felt that in some parts movie became cheesy.Emotional scenes are really overdone,Not needed in some parts. I expected the movie to be great But it was good and could have been better.But if you are looking for entertainment there it is Expand
  24. May 9, 2012
    I only need one line to describe this film:

"Rocky" + "Transformers" + "Over the Top" = One of the stupidest, predictable, badly written and acted movies ever! EVER!!!!!!!!

Plus, I really think that the owners to the rights for Stallone's 1987 "Over the Top" should sue for plagiarism because Shawn Levy and the gang aren't even trying to hide it, they're just banking on the fact that not
    too many people remember that film these days.

25. May 8, 2012
    Story line malfunction and childish dialogue. The trailer presents Real Steel as hardcore action, not an under ten year old adventure, and don't even expect the "fight for me" ending to be any better, just nonexistent. (message me for my full evaluation)
  26. Mar 28, 2012
    This film isn't the best ever made by a long chalk but it also is not at all bad, it's just mindless fun, if you want a film you don't have to worry about too much or over think about, just a bit of good old fashion fun, this is it. Hugh Jackman is great in it too.
  27. Mar 17, 2012
    If I was ten probably I would have liked this movie. I cant really understand why Jackman done this movie. It doesn't suit him. No action no adventure nothing at all. Its like Rocky in a robot version, the weak but with heart robot defeats the ultimate undisputed one. I would not recommend this movie to anyone.
  28. Mar 16, 2012
    I found the movie very likable 3/4 of the way, but then the movie became very childish at the end. The special effects are very good, probably the best ones I seen to date.
  29. Mar 5, 2012
    Real Steel is a fantastic film, with great visual effects and amazing actors and I will highly recommened it to everyone. However there are two problems with the film One, The begining, its VERY slow and makes the watcher feel that the film is going to be rubbish, though as the film goes on the plot gets better. Secondly, Charlie (Hugh Jackman) is a very unlikeable character, though it didn't ruin the film for me as he got more likable as the film went on, but he can make the viewer want to get up and strangle him.

Max(Dakota Goyo) has also been recieving pretty harsh reviews, and to me you either love him or hate him. Luckily I really liked his character, who I found you could easily symphasie with I would highly reccomend this film
  30. Feb 26, 2012
    Real Steel is very predictable, has an annoying Justin Bieber character whom dances with robots and has a story with unnecessary 'conflict' stuffed in to fill each scene. The robot designs were so so and the story was meh. Real Steel is watchable and I didn't hate it but is uninspired.

1. Reviewed by: James White
    Oct 10, 2011
    Rocky with robots? It's not quite in Balboa's weight class, but Real Steel at least has some heft. There's barely a story beat among the beat-downs that you won't expect, and sometimes the saccharine gets in the way of the spectacle, but on the whole this is enjoyable family entertainment.
  2. Reviewed by: Mary Pols
    Oct 10, 2011
    The story remains sadly mired in botdom, which leads to some boredom. It's hard to look away from the ever-dazzling Jackman, but the sight of him hunched over the controls of something akin to a live action video game is not, in the end, much more exciting than the sight of your average teenager hunched over the controls of a Game Boy.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Oct 7, 2011
    When making a film for 10-year-old boys, it doesn't have to be good, necessarily -- just good enough. And that's exactly what Real Steel is: good enough.