4.3

1. Nov 25, 2012
    I love the original Patrick Swayze version of Red Dawn, it was one of the best 80's movies that we certainly don't have time for a reboot. The new version starring a Hunger Games star and an Avengers star is pretty much says it. After a long period of delays since MGM (the movie's former company) headed for turbulance. And even bankruptcy, they should've released it when Sony acquired theI love the original Patrick Swayze version of Red Dawn, it was one of the best 80's movies that we certainly don't have time for a reboot. The new version starring a Hunger Games star and an Avengers star is pretty much says it. After a long period of delays since MGM (the movie's former company) headed for turbulance. And even bankruptcy, they should've released it when Sony acquired the rights to the troubled studio. Red Dawn is nearly half as bad as the floppy reboot Total Recall, so I thought it was gonna be called "Crap Dawn" or "Turkey Dawn." Jennifer Grey (the original Dirty Dancer) could send a message to the late Patrick Swayze that the director who is responsible for the remake is making a fool out of himself making a stupid idea to remake Red Dawn. I already got the movie on VHS, sadly I retired the tape and wait for the Blu-Ray release. Reboots are nothing more than con artists and so does the Red Dawn reboot. A terrible, indulgent, and as Joe Biden said in the Democratic debate that I've never heard that "Malarkey" word, but it's incredible. Expand
  2. Feb 20, 2013
    North Korea attacks The U.S. A. This is the point where you should stop considering watching this teen fantasy movie! Some untrained kids from the local town later form a resistance group, and fight back the highly trained and fanaticized N.K. soldiers! Honestly I can not say how dumb that is...
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    Worst movie I have seen. Bad acting, bad plot, bad directing, and so on. Please do not waste your hard earned money or your precious time on this garbage. It's BAD!
  4. Aug 23, 2013
    I don't know why Chris Hemsworth always ends up in bad movies, but this is another one. Way too much teen/young adult angst, cliches, and hollow characters. Honestly, most of the people in here I couldn't have cared less about, nor do I remember them a day later. The story doesn't make any sense either, because by the end of the movie I still couldn't figure out why the hell there was anI don't know why Chris Hemsworth always ends up in bad movies, but this is another one. Way too much teen/young adult angst, cliches, and hollow characters. Honestly, most of the people in here I couldn't have cared less about, nor do I remember them a day later. The story doesn't make any sense either, because by the end of the movie I still couldn't figure out why the hell there was an invasion in the first place, nor why an army which could defeat the US military couldn't kill a couple kids... Thankfully the action scenes are tolerably good, but overall there's too little fighting and way too much whining. Expand
  5. Mar 9, 2013
    Another pointless remake that should have never been made. The 1984 version has a story that's compelling because you have kids that are put through the worst circumstances, that ends up bringing two brothers together. In this one all the kids look like they just got out of the shower while just being in a bloody battle and you just don't care about the brothers relationship at all.
  6. Jul 28, 2013
    A solid movie that could have been so much better. The characters are not particularly interesting and it did not have as epic of a feel as it could have.
  7. Nov 24, 2012
    Absolutely disgusting. Nothing short of a pathetic excuse of a remake that does not live up to it's original. Patrick Swayze would roll in his grave if he knew how much of a disgrace this movie was. The plot makes very little sense, and is overly patriotic. It is almost like they gathered inspiration from the awful video game Homefront. Do not waste your money.
  8. Nov 28, 2012
    This remake of the 1984 film has shifted the villains from Russia to North Korea. (It was shot several years ago with Chinese villains, but times have changed and so did the flags and uniforms in post production.). Pre-Thor Chris Hensworth and pre-Hunger Games Josh Hutcherson lead the cast of young people who take on the hostile foreign invaders. Their pluck and guerilla tactics areThis remake of the 1984 film has shifted the villains from Russia to North Korea. (It was shot several years ago with Chinese villains, but times have changed and so did the flags and uniforms in post production.). Pre-Thor Chris Hensworth and pre-Hunger Games Josh Hutcherson lead the cast of young people who take on the hostile foreign invaders. Their pluck and guerilla tactics are amazingly slick and successful for such an untrained group, but there's not much about this film that's realistic. Some of the action is good, but much of it is blurred and choppy Expand
  9. Nov 24, 2012
    "Oh how the mighty have fallen." That is a phrase that you will repeat quite a bit if you've watched the original Red Dawn and maybe even played the video game Homefront before watching this. The movie is a gigantic rush job, which is a shame, as I'm pretty sure the original writer seems to have made the trio of American invasion movies/game, as the style is distinctly that of the"Oh how the mighty have fallen." That is a phrase that you will repeat quite a bit if you've watched the original Red Dawn and maybe even played the video game Homefront before watching this. The movie is a gigantic rush job, which is a shame, as I'm pretty sure the original writer seems to have made the trio of American invasion movies/game, as the style is distinctly that of the original. The only problem? The execution. While the style it is done in has little differences, the script is a mess, spending no time developing female characters and constantly juggling ridiculous dialogue with a horrid plot, Much like Homefront, the original villain seemed to have been the Chinese. However, it seems to have been changed at the last second to avoid controversy. The writing is also a mess, and the action is like that of having a string puppet show involving a cowboy and a waving inflatable-arm tubeman duking it out. Do not watch this mess of a movie, and avoid it at all costs. Expand
  10. Nov 22, 2012
    It's a little hard to get drawn into a movie when the main villain is a country that can barely has enough of anything in their own fridge, let alone invade another country.
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    "As a huge fan of the original, If you can put aside all the cheesy, corny acting of our leads, chances are your going to like this new take on the classic film. Its intense, exciting and builds up huge momentum on its original. I know i'm a wolverine." B+
  12. Nov 25, 2012
    Aside from the fact that Hollywood caved to Chinese pressure, and altered the antagonists from China to North Korea - Ironic in the extreme because this movie is about Americans standing up to communists - this movie is pure garbage. How the hell would North Korea invade America? With what Navy? This is just simple tripe and typical of the crap Hollywood produces.
  13. Dec 10, 2012
    Completely preposterous. There is a scene in the middle of the film where they run into a friendly and they tell him who they are. His response "I was afraid of that", My response "I couldn't agree more". I just could not believe I was sitting through this weird mess of a film. The only reason it is still in theaters is because there is nothing else to take its place. Why sit throughCompletely preposterous. There is a scene in the middle of the film where they run into a friendly and they tell him who they are. His response "I was afraid of that", My response "I couldn't agree more". I just could not believe I was sitting through this weird mess of a film. The only reason it is still in theaters is because there is nothing else to take its place. Why sit through this when there is a perfectly decent version of this movie from the early 80's to watch sitting in the discount bin at your grocery store. That one starring that chain smoking sex symbol Swazee back before he died choking on his own regurgitated tobacco tar. Expand
  14. wap
    Nov 26, 2012
    Wow! I can't believe someone actually likes this movie. We are all unique and different. This was by far the worst movie i have ever seen. Who ask them to remake this movie? The script was equally bad as the acting.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    I was surprised by this movie. I thought it was pretty entertaining. It isn't amazing, but it certainly isn't as bad as the critics make it out to be. I felt that this movie had lots of exciting action sequences that were both crazy with effects and very suspenseful. This is a touchy subject, but I felt that this movie was an exciting, inspiring movie.
  16. Jan 18, 2013
    Sorry critics. I try to see what people are finding so bad about this film, but there is too many things I like here that should be highlighted. For one thing, this movie pays much more respect the the "man in uniform" than "Act of Valor" ever attempted to have. The action is awesome, and we have reasons to care for the characters here. Unlike "Battleship", this movie develops all of itsSorry critics. I try to see what people are finding so bad about this film, but there is too many things I like here that should be highlighted. For one thing, this movie pays much more respect the the "man in uniform" than "Act of Valor" ever attempted to have. The action is awesome, and we have reasons to care for the characters here. Unlike "Battleship", this movie develops all of its characters. No, I have never seen the original "Red Dawn", and i'm not gonna let that affect my review. This movie stands alone as something entirely different. The point is, I recommend it. I feel that it is very underrated. Expand
  17. Apr 5, 2013
    ReviewZone212 put it best, most people says this movie sucks. Well those people can suck it, this movie was AWESOME. Great action, great cast and for the most part of it funny and intriguing dialogue, my only gripe was that there wasn't really a great portrayal of a plot.
  18. Dec 10, 2012
    I still have a difficult time believing that people listen to critics. I have an even harder time believing they get paid for what they do. This was a good action movie. It's as if they were expecting a thriller. I was also looking through user reviews and had to laugh at the illiteracy of most of the negative scorers. Are children rating? I can't trust an individual's opinion if he/sheI still have a difficult time believing that people listen to critics. I have an even harder time believing they get paid for what they do. This was a good action movie. It's as if they were expecting a thriller. I was also looking through user reviews and had to laugh at the illiteracy of most of the negative scorers. Are children rating? I can't trust an individual's opinion if he/she seems incompetent. Anyways, dairy for the tangent. Good action movie. If you haven't seen it, just remember......ACTION MOVIE. NOT PHILOSOPHICAL. Collapse
  19. Nov 22, 2012
    It's certainly not as bad as the pro critics would suggest. As a tribute to the first film, it's decent, but it lacks the charm of the original. Hemsworth is not nearly as magnetic as Swayze. But it's a dumb fun action flick that keeps the blood pumping, so I'd give is a modest recommendation to those who are into this sort of thing.
  20. Nov 27, 2012
    The worst remake movies i seen is The Stepfather (2009). and Psycho (1998). Planet of the Apes (2001). The Wicker Man (2006). Red Dawn (2012) , And wait for more bad remakes movies Carrie 2013 and . Robocop 2013.
  21. Nov 23, 2012
    I think this is yet another movie where the majority of the critics have gotten it wrong. Sure they could have dreamt up something a little more plausible than an invasion by paratroopers but the story wasn't so much about the hows or whys of war so much as to create a "what if" scenario. The characters were believable, the acting was pretty good, and the storyline was entertaining. ThereI think this is yet another movie where the majority of the critics have gotten it wrong. Sure they could have dreamt up something a little more plausible than an invasion by paratroopers but the story wasn't so much about the hows or whys of war so much as to create a "what if" scenario. The characters were believable, the acting was pretty good, and the storyline was entertaining. There were some funny parts and some omg moments. Overall it was definitely worth seeing in the theater. Expand
  22. Jan 28, 2013
    People say that this movie sucks, I really don't know why they say that, you watch a movie to have fun, this movie, Red dawn, combines everything that teens like to become an amazing movie, great characters, story and sfx, ill be watching this movie as one of my favorites, always.
  23. Feb 23, 2013
    This movie has a lot of action, and that's a good thing. So, they may have deviated from the original a bit, and that's fine. The acting is ok at best. Listen, I have watched BattleShip twice. I think the acting in that movie totally SUCKS. (Rihanna, acting, really?) The actors in this movie are far better. Go in thinking action movie, for about 2hrs, give or take, and you will beThis movie has a lot of action, and that's a good thing. So, they may have deviated from the original a bit, and that's fine. The acting is ok at best. Listen, I have watched BattleShip twice. I think the acting in that movie totally SUCKS. (Rihanna, acting, really?) The actors in this movie are far better. Go in thinking action movie, for about 2hrs, give or take, and you will be satisfied. Anything else, and you will probably be disappointed. i will recommend this movie on that condition. Expand
  24. Feb 19, 2013
    Enjoyable action film. Didn't have close to the storyline of the original, but enjoyable to watch. If you are looking for a remake of the original, this is not it. If you are looking for an action flick, have at it.
  25. Mar 4, 2013
    I'ts just a movie! I don't know why some people try to compare a movie like this with some chance of happening in the real world. As far as I know, movies are made do entertain people, to make people get out of their boring routine.
  26. Dec 10, 2012
    Though it's not as bad as the critics make it out to be, there's no question Red Dawn is a silly, over-the-top, wannabe-bad ass sort of film. But despite all that, it's actually kind of fun.
  27. Apr 14, 2013
    Like "War of the Worlds", with aliens replaced by North Korea. This is a truly awesome movie with an original story, great action, and lots of twists and turns that make this movie impossible to turn off. Awesome, truly awesome.
  28. Dec 6, 2012
    Oh! This picture has failed to reach my upmost desires and expectation in a film of such topic. During the picture, i felt the desire to bash my skull into my adversaries while denouncing the queen herself! I declare this film treachery against England and her royalty. BAN THIS PICTURE AT ONCE! But...... Oh did i enjoy the appearance of "Josh". the lovely individual whom played Josh onOh! This picture has failed to reach my upmost desires and expectation in a film of such topic. During the picture, i felt the desire to bash my skull into my adversaries while denouncing the queen herself! I declare this film treachery against England and her royalty. BAN THIS PICTURE AT ONCE! But...... Oh did i enjoy the appearance of "Josh". the lovely individual whom played Josh on Drake and Josh. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Mar 15, 2013
    This has to be the year's most pointless remake: a boring and badly acted reboot of John Milius's gung-ho red-scare actioner from 1984.
  2. Reviewed by: Neil Smith
    Mar 11, 2013
    The doltish, messy and frequently incoherent result bears all the hallmarks of a botched and compromised endeavour.
  3. Reviewed by: Nick de Semlyen
    Mar 11, 2013
    Long-delayed. Arguably not long enough.