7.4

1. Feb 1, 2011
    The characters seem to be miscast and the movie seems to only want to send a message every 20 minutes....not have the movie-goer leave with a complete message. Skip this.
  2. Jun 21, 2014
    I'd had this one on my radar for a while because I'd heard such great things about the play. Unfortunately, I could tell almost instantly that the whole thing just didn't translate well into movie format. What should have been powerful vocal performances were instead muffled and hushed into submission by the limitations of the format. Having the actors sing the songs separate from theirI'd had this one on my radar for a while because I'd heard such great things about the play. Unfortunately, I could tell almost instantly that the whole thing just didn't translate well into movie format. What should have been powerful vocal performances were instead muffled and hushed into submission by the limitations of the format. Having the actors sing the songs separate from their performances was also a terrible idea. The words mismatch the lips constantly and ultimately left me feeling like I was listening to a CD while watching another thing altogether.

I'd gladly see this live, but I could never recommend this movie.

1. One of the best film musicals in years -- exuberant, sexy and life affirming in equal measure.
  2. Reviewed by: David Rooney
    Director Chris Columbus has pasted the grungy "La Boheme" update onto film with slavish respect for the original material but a shortage of stylistic imagination and raw emotions.
  3. Reviewed by: Jorge Morales
    Instead of bringing a universal love story to the living present, the film traps it in a frozen past like a prehistoric bug in amber, as removed from moviegoers' experience as a dusty diorama at the American Museum of Natural History.