Rise of the Guardians

7.3

1. Dec 14, 2012
    Average kid movie. My daughter asked why the movie was like all the other movies she had seen, and she's only eight. The plot is tired, though the film was beautiful artistically. Also, a bit too much action. It seems that today, kids are being fed nonstop action in films. One note, though, my kids, after watching this film were convinced that Santa Claus wasn't real. They went inAverage kid movie. My daughter asked why the movie was like all the other movies she had seen, and she's only eight. The plot is tired, though the film was beautiful artistically. Also, a bit too much action. It seems that today, kids are being fed nonstop action in films. One note, though, my kids, after watching this film were convinced that Santa Claus wasn't real. They went in believing and came out doubting. Mostly like the tattooed Russian bully posing as Santa in the film, didn't jive with their more innocent view of him. Strange. This movie was basically a pass for us. Expand
  2. Dec 29, 2012
    Much more aimed at the kids then I anticipated, Rise is a gorgeous looking piece of animation but ever so dull with it. There's not enough humour for my taste and despite the set-up its played very straight. I'm sure kids will love it but it doesnt have the wider appeal of something like Shrek or Tangled.
  3. Jul 23, 2014
    My brother (older) was excited about seeing this; he was disappointed, and he loves 'Despicable Me 2' more than just about any other animation movie. The characters are annoying and the film, while artistically stunning, lacks an interesting plot. The pacing for me is for me just like the voice of HAL from '2001' is monotone. Plus, the action is completely unnecessary in an animatedMy brother (older) was excited about seeing this; he was disappointed, and he loves 'Despicable Me 2' more than just about any other animation movie. The characters are annoying and the film, while artistically stunning, lacks an interesting plot. The pacing for me is for me just like the voice of HAL from '2001' is monotone. Plus, the action is completely unnecessary in an animated fantasy about something that adheres to young children, for the most part. A lot of things could have been taken out and a lot of things added that could make this movie more entertaining and thoughtful. Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2012
    This movie was beautiful to look at. The characters were striking and vibrant in appearance. The writing was never very clever or insightful though. I think I would have loved this movie if I was under the age of 10, but their was very little that would entertain adults as well as children. Overall it wasn't unpleasant, but I wouldn't really recommend seeing it to anyone either.
  5. Mar 19, 2013
    I have to start by saying that i am a big fan of Animated movies. This movie is just Hollywood trash. It has the same CGI, actions and stupid jokes as the typical Hollywood movies these days with no sense of story or screenplay. The movie is just boring. They try to make you feel amazed by throwing some graphics but it is just boring.
  6. Nov 21, 2012
    A reasonably fun holiday flick that feels at times a bit disjointed and a bit lacking in depth. Certainly we can connect with the themes, but the movie fails to draw us into the "magic".
  7. Jan 15, 2013
    Rise of the Guardians is a movie that will take you to your childhood, not only because of the characters, but also because of the topic that treats, which is the searching of your own being. This last thing is represented by Jack Frost, who is trying to discover his purpose in life and what he has to do; all this presented as his center, that he must find out in order to help the childrenRise of the Guardians is a movie that will take you to your childhood, not only because of the characters, but also because of the topic that treats, which is the searching of your own being. This last thing is represented by Jack Frost, who is trying to discover his purpose in life and what he has to do; all this presented as his center, that he must find out in order to help the children of the world. The others guardians already discovered their center, which are wonder of Santa Claus, hope of the Easter Bunny, dreams of Sandman and memories of the Tooth Fairy. With all this things the children can have a beautiful life and be protected from their fears, characterized by the Boogeyman. These characters are very well constructed, because every single one of them has his own personality, which includes ambitions and worries, highlighting Jack Frost, Santa and Pitch. The only failure of this film is that falls into the typical struggle between good and evil and at the end it becomes totally predictable. Expand
  8. Feb 26, 2013
    Enjoyable but derivative, Rise of the Guardians is a typical Dreamworks' animated fare that kids will like, but will not resonate as well as their other works. If you want a better treatment of this type of story, then look no further than Dreamworks' own Kung Fu Panda or How to Train a Dragon.
  9. Zal
    Dec 23, 2012
    I wished I liked this movie more. Honestly, it was a mixed bag. On the upside, the animation and designs of the characters and settings were unbelievably creative (especially the Tooth Fairy). All of the different worlds were stunning, including the villain's lair. I also like how Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Sandman were re-imagined. My favorite character would have toI wished I liked this movie more. Honestly, it was a mixed bag. On the upside, the animation and designs of the characters and settings were unbelievably creative (especially the Tooth Fairy). All of the different worlds were stunning, including the villain's lair. I also like how Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, and Sandman were re-imagined. My favorite character would have to be Russian Santa voiced by, get this, Alec Baldwin.
    However, there were many noticeable flaws. The story was kind of generic. It's the typical "you just gotta believe" message. Also, I couldn't get into Jack Frost. He's not a bad character by any means, but he wasn't a strong or interesting enough character to be the main focus of the film and it's especially more obvious when you see just how inventive the rest of the characters were. As for the villain, I wanted to like him, but...urgh. He wasn't that intimidating and he came across as very prissy.
    Overall, this movie was fine. There was definitely a lot of effort put into this film and for a first time director, it was really good. It just could have used some major changes in the story. This wasn't the best kids movie to come out this year, but it was satisfying enough. If you're an animation fan, check it out.
  10. Dec 18, 2012
    This movie. The scenery and characters are very interesting and fun to look at, the story is very well done from beginning to... Middle. Near the end of the movie, it gets very cheesy. I won't spoil anything, but the story could have been better. This movie is entertaining, but overall slightly overrated by the users. It's an entertaining movie, nothing more, nothing less. I'll give it a 6This movie. The scenery and characters are very interesting and fun to look at, the story is very well done from beginning to... Middle. Near the end of the movie, it gets very cheesy. I won't spoil anything, but the story could have been better. This movie is entertaining, but overall slightly overrated by the users. It's an entertaining movie, nothing more, nothing less. I'll give it a 6 out of 10. Expand
  11. Aug 24, 2013
    OK, so I saw the trailers and I really wanted to see this, and it was good, but I`t just didn`t have the magic to to meet my expectations. Rise of the Guardians has a good message and I give it points for that, but the movie overall was nothing amazing.
  12. Jul 7, 2013
    imagine the avengers who meeting the child's world and it gives "rise of the guardians"
    all the characters is here the santa claus the Tooth Fairy easter bunny, sandman.
    I confess I did not know who was jack frost

1. Reviewed by: Olly Richards
    Nov 26, 2012
    It's gorgeously designed, deftly written and frequently laugh-out-loud funny. For child or adult, this is a fantasy to get lost in.
  2. Reviewed by: Josh Winning
    Nov 25, 2012
    More "oooh… aaah" than "ho-ho-ho", ROTG is so full of yuletide razzmatazz that only true Scrooges will have trouble stomaching it. If only Santa's workshop had given the script more of a tinker...
  3. Reviewed by: Jody Mitori
    Nov 23, 2012
    The Guardians make a winning team that is a prime candidate for a sequel, just like "The Avengers."