Robin Hood

6.2

1. LaurenceI
    Jun 19, 2010
    Empire gave it 4 stars and I totally agree with them. Scotts version of the hood makes much more sense than any before it. All in all I enjoyed it.
  2. ChadS
    May 19, 2010
    It's just like D-day in Normandy on Omaha Beach, but with bows and arrows, chainmail, and horses, lots and lots of horses. Told through the film language of Steven Spielberg, whose "Saving Private Ryan" deglamourized WWII so that it would reflect the same unspeakable horrors depicted in the canon of Vietnam films, this latest mounting of "Robin Hood" also effectuates the expulsion of It's just like D-day in Normandy on Omaha Beach, but with bows and arrows, chainmail, and horses, lots and lots of horses. Told through the film language of Steven Spielberg, whose "Saving Private Ryan" deglamourized WWII so that it would reflect the same unspeakable horrors depicted in the canon of Vietnam films, this latest mounting of "Robin Hood" also effectuates the expulsion of any preconceived notions regarding war as romantic, an adventure in the making. Made for people who like their Batman dark as night, Russell Crowe's brooding take on the role made famous by Errol Flynn(Michael Curtiz's "The Adventures of Robin Hood") will not disappoint, but for the rest of us, seeing the tempestuous Aussie portray this iconic swashbuckler as a haunted mercenary tormented by unanswered questions about his absentee father, will no doubt be off-putting to fable purists familiar with the legendary English outlaw, champion of the penniless(especially Kevin Costner's "surfer dude" interpretation of the Nottingham stalwart in Kevin Reynolds' "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves") as a congenial sort with pacifist leanings. Unlike past Robin Hoods, this latest model derives some modicum of satisfaction from killing. Essentially, an origin story, the filmmaker places Robin in a historical context(the waged war between the French and English over Plantagenet lands which Phillip II had seized from Richard the Lionheart while England's king was imprisoned), which in turn corrupts the literature(starting with the 1378 long poem "Visions of Piers Plowman") by transforming the subject of innumerable ballads and stories into a 12th century approximation of a combat soldier, who proves to be exceedingly violent on the English coastline during the climactic battle with the encroaching French mauraders. Although this final confrontation is exceedingly well-staged and exciting, it does have the effect of trivializing Spielberg's intention to honor WWII veterans by stripping the emulative spectacle of its predecessor's "raison d'etre", which entailed more than death for mere entertainment's sake. Expand
  3. jc
    May 20, 2010
    I think the critics and the voters on this site were confused...this is not your daddy's Robin Hood all over again. This is the backstory. Much more interesting than seeing another childish rehash of the same old story. Well-made film. VERY enjoyable. I certainly was not bored!
  4. FUall
    May 23, 2010
    Great story, logical, people who gave it a bad review are morons.
  5. matts
    May 28, 2010
    Almost perfect. This movie uses the Robin Hood story as a backdrop to talk about a lot of big-picture historical themes, but it isn't boring or heavy-handed. It's visually rich, and all the main characters are three-dimensional. Russel Crowe is good, and Cate Blanchett is great. This movie is one or two silly anachronisms away from being a ten, that's how well-done and Almost perfect. This movie uses the Robin Hood story as a backdrop to talk about a lot of big-picture historical themes, but it isn't boring or heavy-handed. It's visually rich, and all the main characters are three-dimensional. Russel Crowe is good, and Cate Blanchett is great. This movie is one or two silly anachronisms away from being a ten, that's how well-done and balanced it was. Expand
  6. LD
    Jun 1, 2010
    Wonderfully acted with some amazing actions scenes. I thoroughly enjoyed it and Russell Crowe is a great Robin Hood. Cate Blanchett was great fun as Maid Marion.
  7. JakeM
    May 14, 2010
    Great overall cinematography,a few holes in plot but not much to complain about. Beautiful violence.
  8. MeStillMe
    May 14, 2010
    Ridley Scott once again doing what he does best, this film is a great reboot to the franchise and I hope to see plenty of sequels. Great action, nice story and viable explanation as to how a man like Robin Hood could exist, not historically accurate but this is not supposed to be a history lesson. Crowe does what he does and blanchett plays her role well, there is much criticism for this Ridley Scott once again doing what he does best, this film is a great reboot to the franchise and I hope to see plenty of sequels. Great action, nice story and viable explanation as to how a man like Robin Hood could exist, not historically accurate but this is not supposed to be a history lesson. Crowe does what he does and blanchett plays her role well, there is much criticism for this film and it is largely unfounded. People should watch a film for what it is and not what they wanted it to be. Expand
  9. VictorM
    May 15, 2010
    Great new take on the classic, it just needed one more hour of deep dialogues to be one of the great movies of all times... next time Mr.Scott.
  10. IvanC.
    May 15, 2010
    This Robin Hood (Begins) returned me to childhood. I really loved the way Ridley wrapped up historic balads, poems, and legends. I encourage everyone to watch documentary "The real Robin Hood" to find out why Ridley made this kind of Robin Hood. Great movie!
  11. CalebK.
    May 15, 2010
    Pretty darn good. Definitely not what I expected at all but awesome anyway. If you are looking for a rehash of Gladiator you will be disappointed but then again you could always just watch Gladiator again. The Story sets up Robin Hoods legend kind of like how Batman Begins did for Batman. I really hope there is a sequel and have never wanted to go visit England and drink a pint of ale Pretty darn good. Definitely not what I expected at all but awesome anyway. If you are looking for a rehash of Gladiator you will be disappointed but then again you could always just watch Gladiator again. The Story sets up Robin Hoods legend kind of like how Batman Begins did for Batman. I really hope there is a sequel and have never wanted to go visit England and drink a pint of ale more badly in my life. Expand
  12. PamB.
    May 15, 2010
    The film has a fantastic imagery and is a visual feast. Meanwhile, it is such a mess from historic point of view that it makes me shudder to think what sort of ideas would young people be left with. This charm offence on history is a good entertainment though.
  13. AnnT.
    May 15, 2010
    A Good adventure. Cate and Sydow are amazing!
  14. RandyH.
    May 16, 2010
    Generally speaking, if one was to evaluate the movie on its merits alone and not according to any outrageous personal expectations, one would find that this movie has invested just enough into story, character development, plot twists, acting, and action. This movie is not about Sherwood Forest, nor does it intend to be. Like many Ridley Scott movies, the main character goes through a Generally speaking, if one was to evaluate the movie on its merits alone and not according to any outrageous personal expectations, one would find that this movie has invested just enough into story, character development, plot twists, acting, and action. This movie is not about Sherwood Forest, nor does it intend to be. Like many Ridley Scott movies, the main character goes through a transformation to become the person fit to put an end to the movie's main conflict. This movie has everything done correctly through a delicate balance. Just enough time is spent with flashbacks and back-story to reveal the main character's relevance to the main conflict. The acting is well done. The action sequences are entertaining and artistic enough to stand out from other Ridley Scott movies, though not quite up to par with his previous titles. All the characters seem almost inhumanly diligent in their duties, being rather too idyllic in nature; such a thing is not a problem in a mythic story about heroes and villains. While being very dark, the movie stays consistent with itself. It would simply be ludicrous to expect a mob of happy-go-lucky villagers to be prancing around when under conditions of famine and poverty. If you enjoyed Gladiator, this movie will please you greatly. If you were looking for a "fun-loving" story filled with adventures in a world of characters unaffected by their circumstances, don't watch any Ridley Scott movie. Expand
  15. andyK
    May 17, 2010
    Definitely not what I expected from a movie called Robin Hood, but if you can get passed that, it is a very entertaining movie. Beautiful cinematography. Russell Crowe does an exceptional job.
  16. HelenM
    May 19, 2010
    The cast perfect. It was fun and enjoyable and took my mind off of current events. Good wins overall in the movies.
  17. JohnS
    May 20, 2010
    Great acting from a perfect cast. Cate Blanchett shines as a strong willed maiden Marion and Russell Crowe is the most badass Robin Hood you've ever watched or ever going to watch.The supporting cast is also very strong.The battle scenes are excellerating and very well done this is Ridley Scott movie ''of couse there good'' .The soundtrack sets the atmosphere from Great acting from a perfect cast. Cate Blanchett shines as a strong willed maiden Marion and Russell Crowe is the most badass Robin Hood you've ever watched or ever going to watch.The supporting cast is also very strong.The battle scenes are excellerating and very well done this is Ridley Scott movie ''of couse there good'' .The soundtrack sets the atmosphere from sorow to battle enthralled .There is a little humor thrown in but at its core this film is driven by strong charactors whether they be righteous heroes ,a strong willed maiden,a ruthless king,an old knight, merry men and evil Fench villains.Its amazing how the French make such good villians(go figure). Don't listen to the cynics.This film well worth the watch.The only noticeable problem with the acting is Crowes broken accent but it certainly would not have been better if had had a strong goofy scotish accent .The story told in the film isint your traditional Robin Hood story but who wants to see the same old and tired story play out again anyways.The biggest complaint about th film is that its not merry enough,which is true but Im glad someone finally took making a Robin Hood movie seriously. Forget the the traditional story line.Its a prequel anyways.9/10 BULLSEYE. Expand
  18. JalexD
    May 24, 2010
    Not quite focused enough (in the plot and character development department) for a 10, but a most entertaining film that still delivers what it promises: A fresh take on the Robin Hood legend.
  19. KevinG
    Jun 25, 2010
    Surprisingly good film epic.
  20. Sep 28, 2010
    I was both shocked and excited when we found out that Robin Hood was going to be rated PG-13. From the previews it looked like a Robin Hood version of Gladiator because both were directed by Ridley Scott and the main star of both is Russel Crow. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It's more of an origin story of Robin Hood, whereas the previews make it look like the typical robbingI was both shocked and excited when we found out that Robin Hood was going to be rated PG-13. From the previews it looked like a Robin Hood version of Gladiator because both were directed by Ridley Scott and the main star of both is Russel Crow. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting. It's more of an origin story of Robin Hood, whereas the previews make it look like the typical robbing from the rich to give to the poor. There were so many good things about this movie. The score is spectacular. I already bought the soundtrack. The acting is fantastic. The action is phenomenal, and it's a really good story. It did get a lot of negative reviews from critics, but I think that was mostly because the story wasn't what they were expecting and it's not as gay and marry as previous versions of Robin Hood. It is fairly violent, but if you can take that then I highly recommend it. I saw it twice in the 1st 2 weeks, and now I own it on Blu-ray. This new Robin Hood movie is serious and dark and gritty and awesome. The following is a comparison of the different Robin Hood movies to the various Batman incarnations:

The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938 ) is as to The 60s Adam West Batman as Robin Hood (Disney 1973) is as The Batman Animated Series as Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) is as Tim Burton's Batman as Robin Hood (2010) is as Batman Begins as The sequel to Robin Hood (2010) will be as The Dark Knight.
  21. ConnieC
    May 15, 2010
    It may be a rip-off of Gladiator, but one of those good rip-offs.
  22. JeffB.
    May 16, 2010
    Stunningly beautiful, lots of money of the screen, nice love story, but some very lame dialogue.
  23. JamesH.
    May 16, 2010
    I liked this version of Robin Hood. The cinematography is outstanding and the costumes seem very authentic. This is a darker and more violent version than I was used to and felt it could have used some more humor but still enjoyed it.
  24. JoshE
    May 18, 2010
    Fantastic film! Great story and action!
  25. alano
    Jun 17, 2010
    With all of the mixed reviews about this film speculating, I saw Robin Hood and thought that the critics were wrong about this film, this IS better than the last Robin Hood we were given but this isn't better than Gladiator.
  26. Sep 5, 2011
    In the 13th century of England, following the death of King Richard in France, Robin Hood and his friends travel back to Nottingham to bring the sword to Walter. As he makes a love relationship with Maid Marian, Robin learns that a man named Godfrey killed his father and must navigate the politics of France in order to avenge his father's death.

Robin Hood's plot was a little bit lacking

Robin Hood's plot was a little bit lacking and the dialog was underdeveloped, but the action scenes were great, Ridley's Scott's directing was brilliant, and the acting was a lot of fun. This movie isn't the best, but got me entertained as a worthy stand alone to the Robin Hood legend.

There was good news that Ridley Scott is gonna work on a sequel and will someday reveal the release date since this is a flawed, but really good movie.

27. Sep 13, 2010
    Albeit, not the greatest of Ridley Scott's works, this action drama certainly falls well above the majority of the genre. The strong cast harmonizes to bring to life a clever, though somewhat cliche, portrayal of the beginnings of the Robin Hood legend. Well worth the time spent watching, I thoroughly enjoyed this film and would recommend to anyone looking for a nice cockle-stirring evening.
  28. Sep 26, 2010
    The most definitive Robin Hood made to date. The original classic, around 1939, was accessible to all age groups (though oriented toward the youth group), and was very entertaining, but this modern version is an example of great movie making. Keep in mind that all that is known about Robin Hood is that he may have been a robber known to help out poor people, but no one knows for sure whoThe most definitive Robin Hood made to date. The original classic, around 1939, was accessible to all age groups (though oriented toward the youth group), and was very entertaining, but this modern version is an example of great movie making. Keep in mind that all that is known about Robin Hood is that he may have been a robber known to help out poor people, but no one knows for sure who he was. The elaborate details in a movie are completely contrived. So, this version is totally different from others, and this likely upsets some viewers. This version is superb in all departments, in epic proportions. It is obviously a part I, and I look forward to the sequel. Expand
  29. CT
    May 17, 2010
    This is a different take on the Robin Hood story that explores what happens before he was an outlaw, not the done to death version we all know. This allows for awesome action, and some touches of history mixed in. The script could use a little work, but the film was a fun film that has some nice side humor in it as well.
  30. JohnD.
    Jul 6, 2010
    Great movie.
  31. DuaneH.
    May 16, 2010
    Great? No. Good? Yes. Formulaic? Definitely. But it is nowhere near as bad as the critics would have you believe. Its a fun throwaway.
  32. judithp
    May 17, 2010
    I really enjoyed this version of Robin Hood ,especially the performances of Crowe and Blanchett. The film is lovely to look at . This Robin is a real yeoman, a man of honor and boy can this guy shoot a bow!
  33. Aug 18, 2010
    What a let down. Russell Crowe just seems to get worse in every film he's in. He peaked in LA Confidential and Gladiator but since then its been all down hill. THis film was jsut another reminder of that. The story line was mediocre, the acting, wooden and the dialogue, boring.

A generous 6/10
  34. Oct 13, 2010
    A great movie from beginning to end. I am guessing that the majority of people that didn't like it probably just didn't understand it, because it is deeper and more complex than previous goofy versions of robin hood. Definably watch this movie, but really pay attention to it, otherwise you probably wont get it.
  35. Dec 4, 2010
    Tied for best movie of 2010 for me with Inception.

Tied for best movie of 2010 for me with Inception.

Director Ridley Scott does a masterful job of bringing the legend of Robin Hood to relief life. Much like Christopher Nolan does with Batman in Batman Begins, this prequel to the Robin Hood legend is wonderful in setting the stage for future movies. Well done. Also the director's cut fills in the gaps for a LOT of the question marks I had in the theater. It's a MUCH WATCH!
  36. RobertG.
    May 16, 2010
    Definitely entertaining prequel to this legend best known for robbing the "evil" rich and giving to the "good" poor. Scott chronicles a plausable story about man's search for effective governance which embraces a more fair judicial system, introducing Robin as the son of one of the persecuted authors of what eventally became the Magna Carta. Hey, it's a little twisted, but I Definitely entertaining prequel to this legend best known for robbing the "evil" rich and giving to the "good" poor. Scott chronicles a plausable story about man's search for effective governance which embraces a more fair judicial system, introducing Robin as the son of one of the persecuted authors of what eventally became the Magna Carta. Hey, it's a little twisted, but I found myself thoroghly entertained by the cast and film making. I was motivated to look into the history of that time. Expand
  37. MaxA
    May 17, 2010
    It's definitely not one of my favorite Scott movies, but its better than quite a few. It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy the movie for what it is, and clearly, most of the critics reviewing the movie don't know anything about the historical background of the era, and just want to see a fun Robin Hood like they did back in the 90's. If you know you're stuff, see It's definitely not one of my favorite Scott movies, but its better than quite a few. It takes a certain kind of person to enjoy the movie for what it is, and clearly, most of the critics reviewing the movie don't know anything about the historical background of the era, and just want to see a fun Robin Hood like they did back in the 90's. If you know you're stuff, see it, you will enjoy it. Expand
  38. BenC
    May 18, 2010
    Far from Ridley Scott's best films, but still an excellent watch. Great balance of humor, action and story telling, definitely worth an Orange Wednesday at least.
  39. CS.
    Jun 7, 2010
    An original idea, sprinkled with grit and historical research as Scott likes to do so often. I genuinely liked how it was a prequel, making it an unexpected experience that I found enjoyable. Battle scenes should have been bloodier, as this was clearly not a family film, and would have helped realism. The performances are quite good, and Crowe suits his role as the archer well, although An original idea, sprinkled with grit and historical research as Scott likes to do so often. I genuinely liked how it was a prequel, making it an unexpected experience that I found enjoyable. Battle scenes should have been bloodier, as this was clearly not a family film, and would have helped realism. The performances are quite good, and Crowe suits his role as the archer well, although some critics see his take on the character as 'wrong'. How can a personal interpretation be wrong? Anyway, quite enjoyable I thought. Marian's appearance in the end battle completely ruins a film that would otherwise be enjoyable and realistic from start to end. Not bad, Mr Scott, but we all preferred Gladiator. Expand
  40. AshishK
    May 14, 2010
    Good movie, decent cast and script. Not as serious as Gladiator from which comparisons may be drawn. Last 5 minutes blatent Hollywood money-spinning though.
  41. RyanC
    May 14, 2010
    Blanchet and Crowe re very good. The story line is interesting. It lacks somewhat in script but definitely worth seeing.
  42. LisaC
    May 14, 2010
    The movie was fantastic, and well-received by the audience I was with. Great casting, dialogue, snide remarks about the French. I loved it.
  43. J.Brew
    May 15, 2010
    This story tells the tale of how RobinHood became an outlaw. It is not telling the same ole story we've all seen before. Russel C. and Cate B. are great actors and this movie is worth the price of admission.
  44. JohnR
    May 16, 2010
    Nice scenery. Good acting and character development. Exciting battle scenes. Somehow seemed to slow.
  45. JimG
    May 16, 2010
    I liked it - I think the message reflects current US public sentiment towards their "leaders".
  46. NateB.
    May 17, 2010
    Certainly not perfect nor one of Scott and Crowe's best works, "Robin Hood" is still very entertaining and stunningly well made. This is a darker take on the Robin Hood folk story, but it still has its witty moments and goofy parts that stop it from being completely serious and gloomy. It has its lengthy parts that'll make you check your watch, corny if not laughable dialogue, Certainly not perfect nor one of Scott and Crowe's best works, "Robin Hood" is still very entertaining and stunningly well made. This is a darker take on the Robin Hood folk story, but it still has its witty moments and goofy parts that stop it from being completely serious and gloomy. It has its lengthy parts that'll make you check your watch, corny if not laughable dialogue, and convolution within the story, but for the most part, I enjoyed this new "Robin Hood". Three stars out of four. Expand
  47. JakeB
    Thought it was great.
  48. Susan
    May 18, 2010
    Very enjoyable from start to finish.
  49. SusanM
    May 19, 2010
    I thought Robin Hood was great and plan on seeing it again. Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe have great chemistry. Though I did get a few Gladiator flashbacks, I thought the movie was a visual feast with a different take on what an epic movie is supposed to be. If you liked Avatar, this is NOT the movie for you. In my opinion, Avatar had good intentions and great special effects, but it was I thought Robin Hood was great and plan on seeing it again. Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe have great chemistry. Though I did get a few Gladiator flashbacks, I thought the movie was a visual feast with a different take on what an epic movie is supposed to be. If you liked Avatar, this is NOT the movie for you. In my opinion, Avatar had good intentions and great special effects, but it was just a poor futuristic re-telling of Pocohantas. Robin Hood on the otherhand, puts a new spin on an old story. Some might complain that the line between fact and fiction is too blurred, but its a great movie nonetheless. Hope they make part two! Expand
  50. PatG
    May 19, 2010
    I found Robin Hood to be very entertaining. Ridley Scott is definitely a visual artist. I'm not sure what people's expectations were entering the theater, but I think the trailer was a good indication of what the movie would be like. If they expected a jovial Robin in green tights then this wasn't the film for them. Although not necessarily historically accurate, this I found Robin Hood to be very entertaining. Ridley Scott is definitely a visual artist. I'm not sure what people's expectations were entering the theater, but I think the trailer was a good indication of what the movie would be like. If they expected a jovial Robin in green tights then this wasn't the film for them. Although not necessarily historically accurate, this version of the story was a lot more realistic than others I've seen. At least they didn't have King Richard riding back into England as a hero. The battle scenes were impressive, especially considering what the cast and crew went through to bring them to life. I enjoyed the romance between Robin and Marion and would like to see more of the story where it leaves off in Sherwood Forest. I would also like to see more of the Sheriff of Nottingham. Hopefully they'll make the sequel even though it seems like the American critics and top audience of teen boys prefer comic book heroes and computer graphics. RH seems to be doing very well in the rest of the world. Expand
  51. RockS
    May 21, 2010
    The low reviews of this movie are a testament to our growing need for sex,blood,and explosions. This film was well done. without any of that. This movie was entertaining. I find it hard to believe that some would go as far as calling this the worst film of the year. Go watch your comic book movies, leave the engaging stories to us adults.
  52. HollyR
    May 21, 2010
    The movie got much better (i.e., gained my interest ) once Robin got to Nottingam. I felt disengaged from the story and it's characters up until that point. But once he got there I enjoyed the movie and especially Ms. Blanchette. (She is always such a great actress in every movie she's in!) Left a HUGE cliff hanger at the end, so will be looking forward to the sequel! Now the The movie got much better (i.e., gained my interest ) once Robin got to Nottingam. I felt disengaged from the story and it's characters up until that point. But once he got there I enjoyed the movie and especially Ms. Blanchette. (She is always such a great actress in every movie she's in!) Left a HUGE cliff hanger at the end, so will be looking forward to the sequel! Now the fun for Robin Hood will REALLY begin! Expand
  53. WilliamW.
    May 22, 2010
    OK, so the history is a bit wonky and director Ridley Scott gives us those same super-fast edit sword fights without a decent wide shot to enjoy, but its good historical entertainment and a vast improvement on recent versions. Its not a swashbuckler, like the Flynn version, but a nice history lesson - the opening siege of a French castle being especially well done.
  54. BitBurn
    May 22, 2010
    Great plot, great action film, good entertainment. Slightly all over the place but it was...great.
  55. JasonJ.
    May 23, 2010
    In what mostly deserves a 7 because of the quick and formulaic ending, I will give this movie an 8 just to place it in contrast with other recent movies. I rely on movie reviews to keep my movie watching efficient. I knew something was wrong when I saw that half the critics like this movie and half don't. It's the same with the user tally. As it turns out, those who don't In what mostly deserves a 7 because of the quick and formulaic ending, I will give this movie an 8 just to place it in contrast with other recent movies. I rely on movie reviews to keep my movie watching efficient. I knew something was wrong when I saw that half the critics like this movie and half don't. It's the same with the user tally. As it turns out, those who don't like this movie are the same types that are accepting of the Ironmanation of our movies. Quick thrills and movies about nothing. Anyway, if you like the long, historical, and epic type movies like Gladiator, Braveheart or the Elizabeth movies, watch this movie. It isn't the best one made, but it's better than another comic book movie. For the rest of you, Ironman 3 will be out soon enough. Expand
  56. ErikH
    May 27, 2010
    Warning! Review contains plot points from the film. With the recent release of Robin Hood starring Russell Crowe, the oft told story of the merry archer returns to the big screen. That being the case, this not the same Robin Hood story that we are used to hearing. As has been the case with other movie franchises (i.e. Batman), this is a more morally ambiguous, postmodern Robin Hood. Far Warning! Review contains plot points from the film. With the recent release of Robin Hood starring Russell Crowe, the oft told story of the merry archer returns to the big screen. That being the case, this not the same Robin Hood story that we are used to hearing. As has been the case with other movie franchises (i.e. Batman), this is a more morally ambiguous, postmodern Robin Hood. Far from the days of a merry marauder prancing around in green tights, this Ridley Scott rendition is much grittier showing the darker side and the vigilante nature of this well known hero. The story starts in France as the English army is on its way back from the Crusades. Robin is called on by King Richard to give his opinion on the army Expand
  57. Will
    May 31, 2010
    Very enjoyable take on the Robin Hood legend.The cast played their parts very well and Scott's usual thematic style looked great as always.Also love the more serious take on this as opposed to the other Robin Hood movies.Certainly hope that more is on the way for the franchise.
  58. Aug 11, 2010
    For the last 588 years, a legendary story has been passed from generation to generation about a man, a man who stole from the rich and gave to the poor wit not thought to his own actions. This man is the most legendary of all folklore heroes in fact the most legendary of all heroes he is the man who inspire comic book like Batman, The Spirit and most notable of them all The GreenFor the last 588 years, a legendary story has been passed from generation to generation about a man, a man who stole from the rich and gave to the poor wit not thought to his own actions. This man is the most legendary of all folklore heroes in fact the most legendary of all heroes he is the man who inspire comic book like Batman, The Spirit and most notable of them all The Green Arrow. This man is called Robin Hood a fabled hero, a legendary archer who gave up his position in the high life to help the less fortunate. However, we do not know that for sure. Many people do believe that an archer who went by the name of Robin Hood did exist while others deny the fact that the man ever did exist and believed him to be nothing more than a folklore tale meant to scare the king's soldiers and the sheriff of Nottingham. Ridley Scott (director of Black Hawk Down, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, Thelma and Louise and Blade Runner) takes the oft-told tale of one man and his band of merry men and how they took on the system, how they became legends. How they took the country of England by storm and made a lasting impression on the history books and time itself this film is the story of that man this film is the origin of "Robin Hood.â Expand
  59. Sep 2, 2010
    I half-expected to hate this gritty and mostly serious "Robin Hood - The Beginning", but the 156 minutes of director's cut were very entertaining. A great cast was hampered by a somewhat formulaic script (and some silly musical interludes) but this latest Scott-Crowe joint was the best thing they did together since "Gladiator". Kate Winslet commands the screen in all her scenes (as usual),I half-expected to hate this gritty and mostly serious "Robin Hood - The Beginning", but the 156 minutes of director's cut were very entertaining. A great cast was hampered by a somewhat formulaic script (and some silly musical interludes) but this latest Scott-Crowe joint was the best thing they did together since "Gladiator". Kate Winslet commands the screen in all her scenes (as usual), Mark Strong is a strong and terrifying arch-villain (as usual), Matthew MacFadyen and Oscar Isaac are deliciously funny and demented as Sheriff and Prince John and even Russell Crowe isn't annoying and gives an earnest performance. There isn't much swashbucklery and standing on boulders in tights going "a-ha-ha-ha-ha" Errol Flynn-style, but who knows, maybe they are saving that for "Robin Hood, part deux - The Outlaw Years". Expand
  60. Aug 13, 2010
    Well, it is a good film. Nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary, just plain good. And, well, the title is somewhat deceiving. It is not really about Robin Hood per se, it is more about how Robin Hood became who he was. So, having different expectations of the film might turn people down, but I thought that it was just a good adventure drama, with a rather good cast. Unfortunately, IWell, it is a good film. Nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary, just plain good. And, well, the title is somewhat deceiving. It is not really about Robin Hood per se, it is more about how Robin Hood became who he was. So, having different expectations of the film might turn people down, but I thought that it was just a good adventure drama, with a rather good cast. Unfortunately, I felt that Russell Crowe was miscast and Cate Blanchett wasn't really on her usual level. I guess that comes from a thinly written character, but nevertheless, not very impressive.

Still, rather entertaining, but as I said, nothing special, sadly. The ending, though, definitely calls for a sequel so this might be just the first installation in a series of Robin Hood adventures. Or not?
  61. Aug 16, 2010
    Big, loud, and dumb, but it is entertaining in its own darkly humorous way. For anyone looking for the chummy magic of the old Rovin Hood, you may want to look somewhere else, but for a very well handsome and thrilling action film, "Robin Hood" is fine entertainment.
  62. Apr 9, 2011
    While not quite as good as "Gladiator," this movie still felt very reminiscent to the classic from the year 2000. Great action scenes and a fun ride overall.
  63. Oct 1, 2010
    I went in expecting little, and was easily entertained to the best Robin Hood to date. Don't be fooled by the critic's reviews, this is a well thought out and enjoyable historical epic. At times it can be a bit contrived, but overall the plot, characters, and especially theme ring true. It is an origin story and a re imagining of Robin Hood. One that he deserves.
  64. Feb 20, 2011
    This movie acts as a way to tell you how Robin Hood became Robin Hood, it has great action scenes, interesting plot, some humor, and surprisingly likable characters, this is one I would recommend seeing.
  65. Aug 29, 2012
    Robin Hood is a fine origins story from Ridley Scott. The film is eminently watchable from start to finish and feels both epic and slight at the same time. Is it as good as the the old Kevin Costner 'Prince of Thieves' movie, though? Not a chance!
  66. Jan 2, 2012
    I was pretty happy with this movie. It was well paced and written. Needs part II to finish. I've seen five diffrent tellings of the story and this was my favorite. Ridley Scott has a excellent record.
  67. Jun 21, 2013
    If the plot described above sounds nothing like any Robin Hood film or TV show you have seen before you would be right. This is Ridley Scott's story behind the legend. It's certainly a fresh take on the well known character and I think Scott should be applauded for not repeating the same story of Robin Hood and his band of merry men running amok in Sherwood forest. The true story of RobinIf the plot described above sounds nothing like any Robin Hood film or TV show you have seen before you would be right. This is Ridley Scott's story behind the legend. It's certainly a fresh take on the well known character and I think Scott should be applauded for not repeating the same story of Robin Hood and his band of merry men running amok in Sherwood forest. The true story of Robin Hood is shrouded in doubt and conflicting myths but I think that Brian Helgeland's (L.A. Confidential) screenplay probably stretches historical accuracy to the maximum you may expect of an American-produced film of a British myth.

That leads me onto my next point, the cast. Casting Russell Crowe as Robin, hmmm. Crowe brings a fairly stoic grittiness to the role but I can't help but feel that there were better options. The fact that Crowe is one of the films producers suggests his role as Robin was paid for. As angry as this may make Crowe, there is no denying that his accent in the film was plain off and seems to cover almost all UK regions at some point in time. With the exception of Mark Strong and Mark Addy, the cast is largely American and I found that frustrating as there are scores of British actors that could have played the likes of Little John, Will Scarlett and King Richard I at least as well as Danny Huston. Shows like Game of Thrones have shown that a largely British cast can deliver the goods. Cate Blanchett can be excused as I thought she was excellent as Lady Marian.

Towards the film's end I thought that the film began to morph into Kingdom of Heaven as Robin lead the British defence en masse against the French invasion force on the beaches of the South Coast. At this stage the story seemed to have veered too far away from the Robin Hood we know and love.

An alternative take on the much told story of one of Britain's favourite characters and one that is worth a watch even if the gritty nature of Robin and his story take away some of the fun and adventure that always been associated with the character.
  68. Jul 30, 2013
    How is movie anything under I wasn't expecting anything at of this movie I thought it was a Robin Hood movie using russel crows name and I was wrong I loved this movie it felt like a instint classic and I want more all the character in this movie where likable this movie is so under scored in my opinion this will be one of my most favorite movies
  69. Dec 24, 2013
    it's such a wonderful heart-touching story that i can't take my eyes off. This movie is undoubtedly superb, extraordinary thanks to the talented cast and the decent plot by legendary director Sir Thomas Ridley Scott. This film, you mustn't miss
  70. Oct 22, 2015
    A quite interesting version of Robin Hood's legend. It's quite different from the original in a good way,because it didn't become boring and I didn't feel like I am watching the same story again, while they didn't destroy the story either. There is a lot of fighting and action going on and I especially loved that they involved a female character in the battle, it didn't seem like she wasA quite interesting version of Robin Hood's legend. It's quite different from the original in a good way,because it didn't become boring and I didn't feel like I am watching the same story again, while they didn't destroy the story either. There is a lot of fighting and action going on and I especially loved that they involved a female character in the battle, it didn't seem like she was useless like in most films. Expand
  71. Apr 29, 2016
    I've watched a lot of Robin Hoods in my lifetime and buddy let me tell you this is the best yet..Awesome scenery, acting, directing.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-315281-Robin-Hood
  72. Mar 27, 2016
    Ridley Scott’s grimly revisionist take on England’s most famous outlaw. Impressively made and serious-minded to a fault, this physically imposing picture brings abundant political-historical dimensions to its epic canvas, yet often seems devoted to stifling whatever pleasure audiences may have derived from the popular legend.

While the film will earn immediate comparisons with 2004’s

While the film will earn immediate comparisons with 2004’s gritty, unromantic “King Arthur,” what Scott and scribe Brian Helgeland have attempted here is not too dissimilar from what Christopher Nolan and his collaborators pulled off with “Batman Begins”: They’ve fashioned a fresh origin story for a well-known hero and excised all the material’s potentially campy aspects in favor of a downbeat, detail-oriented realist approach.

To that end, there are tricky political allegiances and family ties to be sorted out; characters are as likely to be assaulted by speeches as by arrows; the French, though clearly perceived here as the enemy, are at least allowed to speak their native tongue; and every castle and forest must be painstakingly identified, to the point that “Robin Hood” comes to resemble a medieval “Bourne” movie as it darts hither and yon from Nottingham to the northern coast of France.

It’s 1199 A.D., and Robin Longstride (Crowe, who produced with Scott and Brian Grazer) is an honorable Briton and skilled archer in the crusading army of King Richard (Danny Huston) — who, in contrast to most versions of the story, appears at the beginning rather than the end. Fed up with their lot as soldiers, Robin and his men — who include a slimmer-than-usual Little John (Kevin Durand), contributing a few moments of bawdy humor — flee a battle with French soldiers shortly after Richard himself is killed in action.

A few skirmishes later, Robin finds himself in possession of the late monarch’s crown, which he bears back to London disguised as a knight of the realm, Sir Robert Loxley. Along the way, the film introduces its principal villains, although Richard’s cruel successor, John (Oscar Isaac), turns out to be a mere tool for his suspiciously bilingual adviser, Godfrey (chrome-domed Mark Strong, once again typecast).

While Godfrey sets the stage for a Gallic invasion, sabotaging John’s relations with the local barons and their ruthlessly overtaxed citizens, Robin nobly seeks out the family of the fallen Sir Robert. The journey leads him to Nottingham, where he meets the knight’s aging father, Sir Walter (Max von Sydow), and his widow, Lady Marion — no damsel in distress, but a dagger-wielding spitfire played with relish by Cate Blanchett.

The pairing of two such estimable actors as Crowe and Blanchett alone signals the film’s serious intentions, and as a perhaps inevitable consequence, Robin and Marion’s courtship is in no hurry to catch fire. Something similar could be said of the film, whose leisurely buildup rarely translates into a sense of intellectual vigor and pays few emotional dividends. Essentially 139 minutes’ worth of backstory, “Robin Hood” feels too long yet incomplete, and the events it leaves offscreen (for what, the sequel?) are precisely those that make the tale worth retelling.

Clearly a long way from Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn (and, to no one’s complaint, Kevin Costner), pic can’t help but play like a joyless corrective to Robin Hood’s prior screen adventures, with their buoyant mix of wit, romance, green tights and derring-do. (This film offers mainly derring-don’t.) A certain nagging political correctness is also apparent, not only in the recasting of Blanchett’s Marion as a 12th-century feminist, but in the way Robin rebukes Richard and the folly of the Crusades, a scene that brings Scott’s “Kingdom of Heaven” to mind.

Among supporting players, Isaac channels “Gladiator’s” Joaquin Phoenix as a fey yet ruthless tyrant; Eileen Atkins serves up a formidable Eleanor of Aquitaine; William Hurt brings subtle shadings to the role of a chancellor in whom Robin finds a shrewd ally; and Matthew Macfadyen sneers his way through a few scenes as the Sheriff of Nottingham. But it’s von Sydow who gives the film’s most heartrending turn as a man trying to smother his grief with a boisterous fighting spirit.

Though heavier on talk than action, pic does boast some robust setpieces, amplified by Marc Streitenfeld’s urgent score and d.p. John Mathieson’s vertiginous crane shots, somewhat marred by distracting camera effects in an otherwise stylistically old-fashioned film. One must be grateful that Universal avoided the current blockbuster trend toward 3D, especially considering the eye-popping possibilities afforded by archery.

Other craft contributions are generally superb, though some touches, such as the illuminated manuscripts that serve as expository visual aids, only compound the film’s self-seriousness.

1. The entire cast is superb. Crowe's an ideal Robin Hood-born to play the role-he's fully in command but human to the core. He owns it.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    Grown-up but not too serious; action-packed but not juvenile… Not only is this the mullet-free Robin Hood movie we’ve been waiting decades for, it’s also Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe at their most entertaining since Gladiator.
  3. The problem with Russell Crowe's new take on the legend is that it has one muddy boot in history and the other in fantasy. The middling result is far from a bull's-eye.