RoboCop

8.8

1. Jun 9, 2016
    Robocop suffers a lose of imagination and action, so this film is just a mediocre sci-fi film, withboring story-telling, simple interpretations and only violence in step of action, for try to entertain adult viewers. Nothing bad for that times...
  2. Apr 4, 2016
    Better than the 2014 remake of the original thing and reboot of the entire franchise. This one's finally got what it needs to live up to be a true legend.
  3. Feb 13, 2016
    I love the work of Paul Verhoeven and Robocop is not an exception to this rule. An astute criticism of American culture and also a fantastic shoot em up late 80's action flick, Robocop features solid acting, solid special effects, and a killer plot coupled with great direction and writing. A fun and entertaining film, Robocop works on both a pure entertainment level and the satiricalI love the work of Paul Verhoeven and Robocop is not an exception to this rule. An astute criticism of American culture and also a fantastic shoot em up late 80's action flick, Robocop features solid acting, solid special effects, and a killer plot coupled with great direction and writing. A fun and entertaining film, Robocop works on both a pure entertainment level and the satirical level, similar to Verhoeven's later work on Starship Troopers. In Robocop, Verhoeven uses its relatively straight forward plot as a tool to critique American culture, namely when it comes to violence, television, the military, capitalism, and the very infrastructure of our society. In addition, I also really thought Verhoeven was ahead of his time in his portrayal of women here, as they are shown as being largely on the same playing field as men and if you did not know better, you would have no idea what gender they are. Somehow, this film was criticized for being sexist, but I have no idea how. As I watched, I was struck by how well done the women in the film were, but I guess maybe I am the one who is wrong. Who knows. Anyways, Robocop is a very well made action film by Paul Verhoeven that is both entertaining and thought provoking. Expand
  4. Jan 5, 2016
    WHAT I LIKED: Suprisingly intellegent, Robocop's focus on character and American ideals makes it stand out from other 80s films. It's a truly original idea that just about works thanks to a brilliant score and some well directed character moments. Throw in some great action and you've got yourself a fun film you can really get into
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The odd bit of sloppy corporate
    WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: The odd bit of sloppy corporate writing and acting can bore, and it's not a subtle 80s film, to put it lightly
    VERDICT: A suprisingly good and original film that actually stands the test of time for good reason.
  5. Sep 17, 2015
    Far better than the 2014's remake, and while I did watch that one first, I can say this one had something the reboot lacked -- wit, violence and consistency. Very over-the-top as well, with surreal gory scenes, some that are really disturbing at times. Not for the faint of heart. Solid performances, surprising dramatic heft, though I wished the writers could have digged into the familyFar better than the 2014's remake, and while I did watch that one first, I can say this one had something the reboot lacked -- wit, violence and consistency. Very over-the-top as well, with surreal gory scenes, some that are really disturbing at times. Not for the faint of heart. Solid performances, surprising dramatic heft, though I wished the writers could have digged into the family relationship with the main character more. The hero's partner should have also been more of a focus, in my opinion. The villain's plans were simple, yet their attitude and personality were enjoyable and reasonable. The score is great and memorable, also. All in all, it's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's still a pretty good movie with some terrific, gory action and sharp narrative.

Final Score: 7.5/10
  6. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    RoboCop was an interesting original film. I didn't see any of Peter Weller or Nancy Allen's other films until I saw this, and I was quite surprised that they were good actors.
  7. Jul 11, 2014
    Brilliant. Sums up the 80's action genre in one film. Fantastic plot, amazing soundtrack, great action choreography. And a random, excessive, but exciting level of violence. This film will force you to your couch in an exhilarating turn of events. Then you go to sleep at the end of the film and have one thought. Wow.
  8. May 25, 2014
    After watching the new RoboCop and seeing how bad it was i thought id give the original another try. Its been years since the last time i watched the movie but i remember that it was totally kickass. Just like i remember i loved the movie right from the beginning this like many other 80's and 90's action movies feels more raw and real rather then the action movies we have now. There is noAfter watching the new RoboCop and seeing how bad it was i thought id give the original another try. Its been years since the last time i watched the movie but i remember that it was totally kickass. Just like i remember i loved the movie right from the beginning this like many other 80's and 90's action movies feels more raw and real rather then the action movies we have now. There is no comparing this to the new RoboCop movie as this movie is hands down miles better then its remake even Peter Weller as RoboCop/Murphy was better then Joel Kinnaman and hewas the best part of that of the remake. The action is great and a bit brutal which i thought was awesome even though some of the action scenes were stop motion/go motion but i found those parts to be funny. Though with the remastered Blu ray version that was just released last month the whole movie looks absolutely amazing if you are going to be watching this movie anytime soon id recommend watching that version you wont regret it.

Overall i give it a 8.0 also Kurtwood Smith as the villain was just too funny but he did a great job.
  9. Mar 29, 2014
    This was supposed to be a film destined to Class B, but people now a days and since its premiere the Legendary looks, and I do not disagree, it is.
    Hail, Paul Verhoeven!
  10. Feb 21, 2014
    An astute sci-fi satire about corporate and capitalistic greed, corruption, crime, dystopia, humanity, and it even dares to cross the border of adding totalitarian undertones to the social allegory of the film, 'Robocop' defies the archetypal 80's sci-fi, by making us all realize our humanity and how it works and what it does to us. The urban decay predicted in this film actually occurred:An astute sci-fi satire about corporate and capitalistic greed, corruption, crime, dystopia, humanity, and it even dares to cross the border of adding totalitarian undertones to the social allegory of the film, 'Robocop' defies the archetypal 80's sci-fi, by making us all realize our humanity and how it works and what it does to us. The urban decay predicted in this film actually occurred: to this day the Detroit bankruptcy is the largest municipal bankruptcy filing in U.S. history, and this film was spot on. Though it was merely a coincidence. 'Robocop' is smart, ultraviolent, and a perfect satirical allegory to our American society and culture. Expand
  11. Jan 12, 2014
    It's pretty fitting that I write down a review for RoboCop a month away from the release of the remake.

This movie was always about the way society had been (and some would say still is) on a downward spiral, with interest in hyperviolence, endless consumerism and corporate greed destroying normal family lives. And that's the charm with the RoboCop movie, it sits you down and shows you

And that's the charm with the RoboCop movie, it sits you down and shows you the exact thing you want, but not in a good light. The idea of ED209 gunning a man to death may simply entertain the younger mindset for the gore, but with older people we can see a parallel with vampant police brutality and a failure to police that side of the law.
    While this movie will never be lauded as a cinematic milestone in the areas of acting, directing or producing, it is and forever will be a cultural megahit that - hopefully - will not be lost to the new generation when this PG-13 version comes out.
  12. Jan 6, 2014
    Robocop may not have much depth but it is pretty entertaining. The comic book feel of the movie will have some appeal to viewers. Also, Robocop himself is a feat to behold with his awesome personality and design. There is also some nice cinematography. This is not a great movie but it is still pretty entertaining. This movie has a fan base and it is obvious why. Robocop is pretty cool.Robocop may not have much depth but it is pretty entertaining. The comic book feel of the movie will have some appeal to viewers. Also, Robocop himself is a feat to behold with his awesome personality and design. There is also some nice cinematography. This is not a great movie but it is still pretty entertaining. This movie has a fan base and it is obvious why. Robocop is pretty cool. This movie takes something kind of silly and cheesy and makes it cool. Check it out if you get a chance. Expand
  13. Nov 30, 2013
    This movie is absolutely incredible! The best sci-fi, action, thriller, drama, crime movie ever! It is full of gore, action and thrills. It is one of the most entertaining and fun movies ever made. RoboCop is the best!
  14. Jul 20, 2013
    A violent, vicious, and prescient satire of urban decay, privatization, idiotic consumer culture, and corporate greed, RoboCop delivers a visceral kick to the gut and a jolt of rude awakening to the oblivious.
  15. Nov 29, 2012
    It's a shame that this movie wasn't done better because there's a lot of potential with the story to have been great. But unfortunately this movie was done in the 1980's which means you're stuck with cheesy, over-the-top acting, mediocre effects (though I'm sure they were at least decent when the film was made), and the same piss poor directing that plagued so many films in the era. IIt's a shame that this movie wasn't done better because there's a lot of potential with the story to have been great. But unfortunately this movie was done in the 1980's which means you're stuck with cheesy, over-the-top acting, mediocre effects (though I'm sure they were at least decent when the film was made), and the same piss poor directing that plagued so many films in the era. I think there's a lot of potential to the story and the human element and internal conflict of the RoboCop/Murphy character but the film largely skims right past most of that focusing more on needless side clips of a setting that was never established or non-critical villains. I'm interested to see the reboot version and hoping they go the direction so many other films in this generation of action movies have gone... dark, realistic, and gritty. If you gave this concept to Christopher Nolan, you'd have an amazing movie. Hopefully the reboot can be everything the original was not. Now it sounds like I'm being really hard on the movie and yet I gave it a 7/10 so what gives? Well, it was still a good movie, even with all the minor negatives, because the story has so much potential and even with the poor execution it manages to pull you in. Expand
  16. Nov 28, 2012
    It's pretty excessively and unreasonably violent, but it's also a pretty engaging revenge flick.
  17. Oct 30, 2012
    The "critic" that gave this film a 5/10 is probably mentally-ill. This film is amazing. It's stylish, brutal, witty, and oh, so satisfying. The best action flick of the 80's in my opinion.
  18. Oct 17, 2012
    So Robocop 2013 is a Cylon? No wait its Cyclops's new costume? No I got it, its Batman meets Cyclops from Battlestar Galactica? What the F@#K is this **** Dear Hollywood if you cant come up with an original idea for a movie you shouldn't be allowed to make a movie period! Remakes aren't what the people need! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Remake-Movies-is-Killing-Hollywood/361119783969397
  19. Aug 19, 2012
    In 2012, RoboCop is hilariously dated but still a great action movie from start to finish. One of the finest examples of action movie greatness with a story that is, surprisingly, good. A timeless classic! A must see for all action movie fans!
  20. Oct 7, 2011
    I am supremely impressed. not by the fact that it avoid the typical inept 80's action movie stereotypes, but by the entire film. It's epic, it's grand, it's just so goddamn amazing. One would expect less, but when that one person decides to see this, they will be smiten and ashamed as to their thoughts of the movie prior.
  21. Jul 27, 2011
    A film that works on two levels; there is the ultraviolent science fiction action movie first, but lurking beneath the surface there is a brilliant and often hilarious satire. Special effects deserve a special mention; Rob Bottin's work, especially on Murphy's head (with the RoboCop helmet removed) still look amazing.
  22. RichardT.
    Sep 17, 2007
    Great story, great effects, timeless science fiction!
  23. MattL.
    Jun 13, 2007
    This movie is epic as hell; fantastic score from Basil Poledouris, adrenaline-pumping action, touching scenes (that don't go overboard), capitalist satire, cool villains, over-the-top violence and a fascinating protagonist make this, in my opinion, the best movie of the 80s.

1. Great effects and a nasty undercurrent drive this vehicle.
    There's a brooding, agonized quality to the violence that almost seems subversive, as if Verhoeven were both appalled and fascinated by his complicity in the toxic action rot.
    Robocop is a thriller with a difference.