6.9

1. PaulS.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Wow - I saw this last night and had to walk out near the end. I could only take so much. This is a Musical. We knew that. Rules for attending a musical: 1) Never attend a musical. This movie is a musical. If you violate rule number 1, see rule number 2. 2) Make sure that the people singing in a musical actually have at least some singing talent. Think: Moulin Rouge , The Sound of Music, Wow - I saw this last night and had to walk out near the end. I could only take so much. This is a Musical. We knew that. Rules for attending a musical: 1) Never attend a musical. This movie is a musical. If you violate rule number 1, see rule number 2. 2) Make sure that the people singing in a musical actually have at least some singing talent. Think: Moulin Rouge , The Sound of Music, Chicago, or even the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Unfortunately, the people singing in this movie displayed no musical talent. I think, in some cases, some of these actors probably have at least some talent, however, no such talent was displayed during the movie. In fact they usually had the actors singing along with other people singing, probably for this reason. It did not work. If you violate rule 2, see rule 3. 3) If it is a musical and the actors have no musical talent, then a least make sure the movie is funny. This was the attempt with this movie. Unfortunately, it was not funny. Now, it did try to be funny. At times it sort of inspired a mild smile - sort of like what you get when you think "gosh, if this were done well, it would probably be pretty funny". You know Expand
  2. Ethan
    Feb 15, 2008
    Although this movie features music, it is not necessarily a musical per se. Modern musical... maybe but its not played out to be a classic musical. First of all, when I first saw the cast list, I thought this movie was going to be amazing. Even if Turturro had to raise most of the money himself after not getting picked up for several years I still thought it would be great. However, I was Although this movie features music, it is not necessarily a musical per se. Modern musical... maybe but its not played out to be a classic musical. First of all, when I first saw the cast list, I thought this movie was going to be amazing. Even if Turturro had to raise most of the money himself after not getting picked up for several years I still thought it would be great. However, I was unpleasantly surprised as I watched this horrible pretentious film. Although there were star performances, especially from Kate Winslet. The spectacular acting was not enough to take away from the corniness and convolution of the film. I'm not being naive in criticizing the presence of the music, I'm just saying that I think the movie would have been better if it was purely acting and lacking of the artsy portrayal through the music. A stellar cast and a horrible screenplay... this movie was too good to be true. Expand

It's almost unfair to make the comparison because there are so many fundamental differences, but the closest recent movie to Romance and Cigarettes is "Moulin Rouge." The key likeness is easy to spot: the characters spontaneously break into familiar pop songs.
  2. The sad result is a karaoke nightmare. Loud and pointlessly crude, the film takes the disintegration of a dysfunctional working-class family and gives it the song-and-dance treatment.
  3. Reviewed by: Derek Elley
    Chockfull of ideas and with an irreverence that irresistibly recalls late '60s American cinema, thesp John Turturro's third outing in the helmer's chair, Romance & Cigarettes, alternately shines and sputters.