6.9

1. BonnieD.
    Nov 7, 2003
    Very lame script with subject matter that defies anyone with even an ounce of intelligence? Great actors doing nothing. Leaves you empty at the not so surprising conclusion.
  2. DeniseW.
    Jan 6, 2004
    Excellent movie - first class acting from all the main characters and some great twists in the story keeps you guessing the outcome right to the end.
  3. AmberP.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Paul A, I just read your review. Having seen this disaster first hand I would strongly suggest you stick to your day job if you truly liked this dreck. But, opinions are like assh-les in that everyone has one. In your case, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. But if you can get by your ADD try to remember what I said about opinions?
  4. JohnG.
    Apr 5, 2004
    My expectations ran high, perhaps too high, when I read the cast list for this movie. Unfortunately, like some other born-of-a-personal-misfortune/neurosis movies (dare I say Oliver Stone?) the constant barrage of anti-gun stereotypes soon began to muddle what could have been an interesting movie. Let a movie be a movie, not an exorcism of someone's personal bitterness about a My expectations ran high, perhaps too high, when I read the cast list for this movie. Unfortunately, like some other born-of-a-personal-misfortune/neurosis movies (dare I say Oliver Stone?) the constant barrage of anti-gun stereotypes soon began to muddle what could have been an interesting movie. Let a movie be a movie, not an exorcism of someone's personal bitterness about a resented civil liberty. A judicious editing could still save this movie. Expand
  5. MitchM.
    Oct 14, 2003
    Seemed to me like a cross between "Enemy of the State" (tech battles) and "The Firm"/"Pelican Brief", etc. Plotty as hell, but there's something about Rachel Weisz that brings a degree of humanity and poignance to the proceedings.
  6. Terry
    Nov 6, 2003
    Did anyone find the runaway jury yet? The movie sucked with the alleged surprise ending telegraphed home about 30 minutes into the movie. Unbelievable in every sense of the word with the actors looking as if they were going to crack up delivering their lines. They had to be kidding when they made this crapola.
  7. ChadS.
    Oct 18, 2003
    Gene Hackman, as if you needed a reminder, is one of our great ones. He makes "Runaway Jury" seem like a serious movie. Going after the gun industry takes a backseat to Bad Stuff That Happens to John Cusack. Hoffman must've been more than a little upset since his plaintiff's case is mere background, thus giving him less chances to fight the good fight. When he plays the video of Gene Hackman, as if you needed a reminder, is one of our great ones. He makes "Runaway Jury" seem like a serious movie. Going after the gun industry takes a backseat to Bad Stuff That Happens to John Cusack. Hoffman must've been more than a little upset since his plaintiff's case is mere background, thus giving him less chances to fight the good fight. When he plays the video of the deceased celebrating his son's birthday during deliberations, it lacks any semblance of gravitas, because the filmmaker is trying to cram a "The Practice" moment, in a courtroom drama that gets most of its juice from The Ambiguous Cell-Phone Girl, and not from the actual case. That said, Rachel Weisz asserts herself well against Hackman, and Cusack, and Hoffman. With lesser actors, "Runaway Jury" would seem even more preposterous. Expand
  8. SharonW.
    Feb 3, 2004
    Against my better judgment despite the generally poor Metacritic reviews I rented this dreck. There are no words to describe how stupid and ridiculous this plot was. Predictable and genuinely funny which is not what they were going for. Great actors doing nothing more than picking up yet another paycheck.
  9. SidneyF.
    Preposterous.
  10. WahyudiA.
    Mar 7, 2004
    Very beautiful & Best Acting In Her Film " Vassili Zaitsev"
  11. MarjorieL.
    Nov 10, 2003
    I couldn't agree more. Just ridiculous from start to finish.
  12. WhitneyP.
    Nov 12, 2003
    Runaway if you are thinking of seeing this flick? A waste of time and money. So lame a storyline that I can't believe the actors made this garbage.
  13. DonnaW.
    Nov 12, 2003
    I enjoyed the movie but can't say it was riveting.
  14. DonnaW.
    Nov 12, 2003
    I enjoyed the movie but can't say it was riveting.
  15. RobertS.
    Nov 1, 2003
    Great actors picking up a paycheck - nothing more! The less said the better.
  16. JaredH.
    Nov 16, 2003
    This is the best Hollywood could come up with with these great actors? What a disappointment. Avoid at all costs.
  17. PatC.
    Nov 25, 2003
    The initial premise, that justice can be twisted by personality engineers, who manipulate the ignorant to produce a specified verdict, is thought-provoking and timely. Innocent people are shafted in our courts every day, and this movie seemed to be making an attempt to investigate the phenomena. One memorable scene is a clash of titans Hackman & Hoffman. In this verbal confrontation, the The initial premise, that justice can be twisted by personality engineers, who manipulate the ignorant to produce a specified verdict, is thought-provoking and timely. Innocent people are shafted in our courts every day, and this movie seemed to be making an attempt to investigate the phenomena. One memorable scene is a clash of titans Hackman & Hoffman. In this verbal confrontation, the content of their lines is immaterial, what is really being said in turn is, "I can out-act you." But in the end the film morphed into the pure drivel Hollywood is incapable of resisting. Justice isn't complicated or unfair after all - it's simply that bad and incredibly underdeveloped male characters sell guns that kill lovable smurfs in small towns, then hire scumbags like Hackman for damage control - I honestly did not know this was happening. This movie does not insult one's intelligence, it bitch-slaps it. Expand
  18. SteveT.
    Nov 3, 2003
    An entertaining drama that keeps the audience guessing which way it will turn next.
  19. JasonP.
    Nov 4, 2003
    I have no real strong feelings on this film. It is not extremely bad, but it's not extremely good either. The cast is excellent.
  20. raVen
    Oct 22, 2003
    (8.5) Alright, I confess. My mind was made up long before I even set foot in the theatre. I must first explain that I have an overt pro-Hoffman/Hackman bias, as well as an anti-assault weapons bias. Essentially, I liked the movie before I even saw it. I'm sorry. ...So in fairness, I won't talk about any of those things...much. What I liked--that is, what I discovered--about the (8.5) Alright, I confess. My mind was made up long before I even set foot in the theatre. I must first explain that I have an overt pro-Hoffman/Hackman bias, as well as an anti-assault weapons bias. Essentially, I liked the movie before I even saw it. I'm sorry. ...So in fairness, I won't talk about any of those things...much. What I liked--that is, what I discovered--about the movie once I watched it was that all the characters were in some way challenged in their beliefs. Rohr has to decide whether or not he wants to stoop to the oppositions' tactics in order to advance his beliefs. Fitch has to come to grips with the idea that there may be someone who can outsmart him. Even Easter, after gaining control, must decide how far is too far. As audience members, it is often our "duty" to set aside whatever preconceived notions we might have had about a movie going in, if we are to make an accurate assessment of its technical merits. Of course, that's a near impossibility--whether you're in a jury room or writing a movie review like the ones above. And that's the point. I really liked this movie, particularly the parallel but not equivalent character studies of Hoffman and Hackman. (One asks which tie he should wear, the other asks which apartment to torch). And as for this "liberal bias" I read about, I don't see it. Unless all movies with slightly sappy endings qualify, in which case Cinderella is a registered Democrat. I think the guy smearing "the blood of dead children" all over himself in the courtroom made it clear that kooks on both sides were well represented. Why are there more pro-gun kooks than anti-gun kooks, you say? Well... I'll leave that one to the jury. Expand
  21. Fantasy
    Oct 22, 2003
    Great actors in an absolute lame movie devoid of any reality. In my opinion, it was so predictable that I'm surprised that the actors were able to recite their feeble lines without laughing. You could see the ending coming a mile away. As for it even remotely resembling reality - not a prayer on this planet. If you must see it rent on DVD.
  22. GeorgeW.
    Oct 23, 2003
    Was this a comedy? Dumb and dumber!
  23. Leslie
    Oct 24, 2003
    Talk about feeble, "You're losing me my jury?" Please tell me where they came up with this preposterous idea for a movie? Too stupid to even be believed. Garbage!
  24. ThomasS.
    Oct 25, 2003
    The audience was laughing. Was this supposed to be comedy or a suspense drama? The joke was on me for wasting my time.
  25. JackT.
    Oct 28, 2003
    Have they run out of idea's for movies? This one takes the cake. Terrible and lame. A waste of two great actors and one good one. If you must see it, rent it.
  26. PaulA.
    Jan 18, 2004
    Was it entertaining? Yes. Do I recommend it? Definitely. Do I think that the subject matter appealed to me because of my views on guns? Probably. Do I think that people who are stupid enough to dislike a movie because they disagree with its FICTIONAL contect should not be allowed to voice their pathetic views on a site like this? Do I actually have to answer that question?
  27. BarbaraD.
    Mar 14, 2004
    Entertaining, but difficult to follow at first. Moved fast, hard to pay close attention. Re the other opinions on this board - I am for the strictest gun control possible, no one should have a gun, I'm also against the death penalty, but these topics make for interesting movies, regardless of ones personal feelings.
  28. VikramM.
    Apr 4, 2004
    Is everyone out of their minds! This movie was awesome!!!!!! Oh my god! John Cusack, Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman give a GREAT PERFORMANCE! But I am still entiteled to my opinions, and I am sorry if I offended anyone.
  29. Cat
    Jul 28, 2006
    The worst movie I have ever seen, bar none. And I believe in gun control! It was just so contrived and melodramatic (oh, this juror's an alcoholic, this one's the victim of domestic abuse, blah blah blah) and the fairytale ending was just plain vapid and unrealistic. Not to mention that it was very poor in the technical department
  30. BarryB.
    Nov 13, 2003
    It galls me that the professional critics when they like the actors give them a pass. This is an idiotic premise, with the storyline is so unbelievable, that you feel like laughing at the actors when they deliver their lines? Just terrible.

1. Like a juicy steak served to a man suffering on a diet of micro-greens and tofu, Runaway Jury will be devoured by fans of movie melodramas.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    With the standard Grisham formula having grown stale after so many books and film versions, Jury introduces ingredients that add zest to the old recipe and, in cinematic terms, open up increased possibilities for intrigue and narrative layering.
    Though star-packed to the point of absurdity--juror Luis Guzmán has little to do but nod his head every once in a while--The Runaway Jury doesn't know what to do with its players.