6.5

1. Feb 13, 2012
    Yuck film......I mean the acting is good and the action free flowing but the plot is completely devoid of any originality. I love an action flick as much as the next bloke but it tried to be too smart and failed and therefore failed as a film......Dont waste your cash.
    Oh and Brendan Gleeson is better than this even if Denzel isn't
  2. Feb 25, 2012
    Denzel Washington snoozed thru this formula copycat of Borne. Not much to see here with a totally predictable ending. Wait for this one on free TV if you must see it.
  3. Feb 15, 2012
    I wanted this film to be good but it was just exhausting. Denzel's scenes were left on the cutting room floor because they set him up as the master manipulator and then no manipulation. For some reason it turned into a Ryan Reynolds movie running around reacting. This isn't a Denzel film it is a Green Lantern without the costume set on earth without the aliens.
  4. May 27, 2012
    Good acting I guess. Its just that the movie sucks . Its no Jason Bourne. Its not even complicated. Its weak. Amazing how even with such good actors a script like this seems to slide past everyone.
  5. Jun 6, 2012
    As a thriller lover i gotta say this movie really disappointed me. Nothing new . Seeing many films with same pattern was this was probably the worst. The story sucked so much. It wasn't like other Denzel Washington films. I loved all his films but this one was him worst . Not his acting though . He did fine , so did Ryan . But the story and everything else just sucked . Direction wasn't that good either . It seemed just like a 2 hours long Bad TV Action Drama.
    Expected more and it had let me down !
  6. Jul 4, 2012
    Not too much to say about this one ...

Predictable, shallow, regurgitated, nothing new under the sun. Borderline booooring.

Yeah yeah. Denzel is good, as usual, but even that's not enough to spring life into this "been there, done that" film.

It's the Jason Bourne series' little brother with down syndrome ...
  7. Feb 12, 2012
    I can overlook a lot of flaws for a good action flick. But this movie is so flawed all the way through, there is nothing left to like. How some reviewers can think that "documentary style" camerawork enhances filming is beyond me. "Safe House" is shot like a shaky hand-held home movie -- maybe they did use a hand-held camera? How else could they have gotten all the jiggling and swinging up and down, back and forth? It's often hard to tell who's fighting, much less who's winning and how they're doing it. I guess the shakiness and jiggling are meant to keep the audience on edge, but to me it's cheating to try to create effects that should come from the action with just an annoying, uneven camera. It did keep me on edge, but in an irritating way, not an entertaining way. This jiggling is kept up all through the movie -- not just in the chase and fight scenes, but also in offices and phone conversations, the camera just can't stay put. There's not much of a plot, either, but this isn't essential in an entertaining action movie, which this definitely is not. Collapse
  8. Mar 29, 2012
    In the beginning it starts out as an action filled thrilling movie, but than it loses its excitement and it becomes a simple action movie which we have tons off. The good actors performance like Denzel keep the movie running and stops you from running away screaming "HELL NOOOOO!!!!". No more to say and i was still generous with the 3/10
  9. Jun 20, 2012
    very poor effort and I kept nodding off as the plot was poor.... also the camera work is truly awful but denzel is good as always ....... ryan reynolds not too bad either ....
  10. JAL
    Jul 6, 2012
    What a disappointment! I don't see how Denzel Washington could associate himself with such a low-quality production

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Feb 27, 2012
    Moderately enjoyable, in its exhausting way. [5 March 2012, p. 87]
  2. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Feb 20, 2012
    Tolerably exciting spycraft, but stuck with a see-through plot. Washington and Reynolds are watchable, but not exactly stretched by these roles.
  3. Reviewed by: Ian Buckwalter
    Feb 15, 2012
    It was only a matter of time before someone made a Tony Scott movie without Tony Scott.