7.8

1. Apr 29, 2011
    I *will not* see this film trashed! This was a ripper of an adventure that should have been much more successful than it was. Indiana Jones with a wry smile. James Bond with tongue very firmly-in-cheek. Dashing and goofy rolled into one. Perhaps audiences didn't quite know what to do with this film?? It just hit the balance perfectly, imho, between being a couple of adventurers who happenI *will not* see this film trashed! This was a ripper of an adventure that should have been much more successful than it was. Indiana Jones with a wry smile. James Bond with tongue very firmly-in-cheek. Dashing and goofy rolled into one. Perhaps audiences didn't quite know what to do with this film?? It just hit the balance perfectly, imho, between being a couple of adventurers who happen upon a dastardly plot and a pinch of a slightly daffy comedy. This was undeniably a cut-above most films of its ilk -- and how few there are. I consider it a real tragedy that it wasn't more successful and that Sahara 2 will never be made. Expand
  2. D.A.
    Jan 31, 2009
    When "It's a Wonderful Life" came out, it was considered a grand flop, as well! It took 30+ years - by sheer fluke of luck - for that beautiful film to be recognized as the incredible gem we all now know and love... and I do LOVE this movie!! Sahara has great humor and chemistry and it just works. Still, timing is everything, and it simply wasn't this movie's time, When "It's a Wonderful Life" came out, it was considered a grand flop, as well! It took 30+ years - by sheer fluke of luck - for that beautiful film to be recognized as the incredible gem we all now know and love... and I do LOVE this movie!! Sahara has great humor and chemistry and it just works. Still, timing is everything, and it simply wasn't this movie's time, unfortunately, because I would have loved to have seen McConaughey, Zahn, Macy, and Rainn Wilson work together again on this fantastic franchise. Expand
  3. MarkH.
    Apr 10, 2005
    Cusler fans should really like this movie. I was very impressed with how well the three main characters maintained the book's excitement even after some of the sensationalism was toned down from the book. The only thing I really missed was the fort battle at the end. Definitely a must see for Cusler fans!
  4. BillS.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Wow! Finally somebody makes an action film like they used to. It's got everything I like. Great stunts, funny lines, a cool mystery. Remember when movies used to be fun?
  5. AndyW.
    Apr 9, 2005
    I am a big fan of all the Cussler books, especially Sahara. I was very skeptical of the cast, but was surprised they pulled it off. Even Steve Zahn, who plays Al, was perfect! I had low expectations of this film, because Cussler had no rights to the script editing, so I was very happy to see they put most of the important parts of the book into the movie. I don
  6. PaulH-E
    Apr 8, 2005
    This is a fantastic movie! The cast are obviously having fun in their roles, and it carries through to the audience well. Matthew McConaughey plays Dirk Pitt exactly as Clive Cussler wrote him, an adventurer par excellence, while Steve Zahn is brilliant as his buddy, Al. The movie balances character, adventure and humour perfectly, with stunning locations, gorgeous cinematography and This is a fantastic movie! The cast are obviously having fun in their roles, and it carries through to the audience well. Matthew McConaughey plays Dirk Pitt exactly as Clive Cussler wrote him, an adventurer par excellence, while Steve Zahn is brilliant as his buddy, Al. The movie balances character, adventure and humour perfectly, with stunning locations, gorgeous cinematography and it's a joy to watch. Go see it! Expand
  7. TD
    May 1, 2005
    This movie is a lot of fun. You can relax, and somehow as crazy as some scenes are, you still think they can still happen. An awesome piece of entertainment. They all can't be thought filled and meaningful, but this isn't meant to be one to begin with. Mmm.. can't go wrong with Ms.Cruz either.. mmm. lol.
  8. MatthieuR.
    Apr 11, 2005
    Lots of fun, beautiful cinematography, and a wonderful soundtrack. This film captures the fun and adventure of Indiana Jones, and does it without taking itself too seriously. I am not a big Penelope Cruz or McConaughey fan, but they were good in these roles.
  9. Bob
    May 21, 2005
    Lots of fun. Just sit back and enjoy with a tub of popcorn. Just don't take it seriously and you will have a good time.
  10. BigDogMahoney
    Apr 15, 2005
    EXCELLENT.
  11. JasonH
    Apr 15, 2005
    Fun....that's the best way to describe this flick. It doesn't make you think too hard and is great for a Friday night date.
  12. JustinH.
    Jun 29, 2005
    I thought the movie was good.
  13. JesseS.
    Jun 24, 2008
    This movie was awesome! and I don't a crap about what you other scumsuckers say about this movie!

1. Action films can't be this consistently absurd, can't paint their heroes into such dangerous corners, from which only cocktails of luck and divine intervention can save them, over and over. It's a bad-faith bargain with the audience and bad storytelling.
  2. Reviewed by: Dan Jolin
    About as good as a big, stupid American action movie can be without ever being anything better than a big, stupid American action movie.
  3. Any movie starring Penelope Cruz or William H. Macy can't be all bad. And Sahara, which stars both Penelope Cruz and William H. Macy, proves the point: It isn't all bad.