6.3

1. Jun 18, 2013
    The most stylish, thrilling and sexy Stone movie in ages. Savages a drug fuelled thriller in which Director Oliver Stone lives up to his filmmaking and gives us a story about Chon and Ben played the aero five Aaron Taylor Johnson and Taylor Kitsch. When their girl- Ophelia played by Pretty Little Lire's sexy Blake Lively gets kidnapped for their pot growing business by a Baja Drug Cartel,The most stylish, thrilling and sexy Stone movie in ages. Savages a drug fuelled thriller in which Director Oliver Stone lives up to his filmmaking and gives us a story about Chon and Ben played the aero five Aaron Taylor Johnson and Taylor Kitsch. When their girl- Ophelia played by Pretty Little Lire's sexy Blake Lively gets kidnapped for their pot growing business by a Baja Drug Cartel, they get the odds to the evens. It may sound stupid but this is effective acting by Lado played by the one and only Bencio Del Toro and Elena played by Salma Hayek. Both actors are what that makes up Savages. Also Johnson gives a fine performance as Ben. In the end you are hallucinated by this thriller and the deep score that adds up to a fine masterpiece by Oliver Stone. Expand
  2. Jul 6, 2012
    Savages is a brutal, bloody mess and thats what makes it so entertaining. Benicio Del Toro is incredible as Lado, and delivers the best scenes of the whole movie. The ending was a bit strange and I wasn't the biggest fan of the "real" ending, but that was my only real problem. The plot is good, the acting mostly great and the Mexican Cartel torture scenes are pretty f'ed up.
  3. Jul 11, 2012
    Oliver Stone is back in ruthless form in this in-depth exploration of the war on drugs, drug dealing, and the inner workings of Mexican drug cartels. As a viewer who has seen his previous work, I wondered if some of the influence of the Iraq/Afghanistan war veteran character was a reflection of Oliver Stone's Platoon and his own experiences in the vietnam war. The torture scenes echo theOliver Stone is back in ruthless form in this in-depth exploration of the war on drugs, drug dealing, and the inner workings of Mexican drug cartels. As a viewer who has seen his previous work, I wondered if some of the influence of the Iraq/Afghanistan war veteran character was a reflection of Oliver Stone's Platoon and his own experiences in the vietnam war. The torture scenes echo the brutality of that earlier film, and push the limits of grotesquery. But nothing is over the top. As someone who has read articles and studied the war on drugs, everything in this film is realistic. The performances are amazing, a surprising Travolta is electrifying. This is his best work since Pulp Fiction. Del Toro once again humanizes a horrific and unique character and Hayek holds her own. The younger leads, Kitsch and Johnson are also exceptional, at times I found myself forgetting they were acting on screen. The only downside to this film was Blake Lively, who seems to be acting like less of a bimbo-airhead-california blonde and instead just acting like her normal self. Her skills aren't really up to par but that's not to say it wasn't an adequate job, but in a film with powerhouse performances from Travolta and Del Toro, it is noticeable. Overall, the film was an exceptional thrill ride and exploration of the war on drugs. It's got Stone's subtle metaphors and hints and the "surprise" ending is one of the best endings I've seen in years. A warning, though - the film is exceptionally violent and ruthless. Savage, actually. Expand
  4. Jul 8, 2012
    "Savages" was a very entertaining piece of work that i enjoyed from the moment it started all the way to the trip out ending! i had read the book right before i went to see the movie, which gave me a better appreciation for the story and characters. I suggest you go out and see this bloody, thrill ride because its one of the better and story-driven movies to come out this year.
  5. Jul 6, 2012
    If you liked The Town last year, you'll like this. It's the same perfect blend of tone: Action, melodrama, and humor. These are the kind of movies that hollywood action should be. It felt like a whole season of Breaking Bad, but with a great director and huge budget. SEE THIS.... I will buy it on DVD.
  6. Jul 9, 2012
    It's a wild ride of a movie with a bit of a cheat ending. Selma Hayek clearly steals the show, and she exposes Blake Lively as a relative lightweight. In fact, if I had to point to a single true negative about this film, it's Lively - or the director's focus on her. It would be like focusing on a cotton ball that rolls across the floor when there are so many other interesting elements toIt's a wild ride of a movie with a bit of a cheat ending. Selma Hayek clearly steals the show, and she exposes Blake Lively as a relative lightweight. In fact, if I had to point to a single true negative about this film, it's Lively - or the director's focus on her. It would be like focusing on a cotton ball that rolls across the floor when there are so many other interesting elements to the story. It's strange to say it, but Lively is actually a pretty solid actress, given a good role. She's certainly better in Gossip Girl. But the "look at me! I'm sexy! Everyone wants to have sex with me!" crap that this film serves up for her is just repellant. Expand
  7. Jul 17, 2012
    Oliver Stone applies his distinctive directorial style to a by-the-numbers drug plot. Two men (Taylor Kitsch & Aaron Johnson) are ying-yang partners in a pot enterprise: one is a hot-blooded vet and the other is the Buddhist business head. The only real twist: they share a girlfriend. Their lucrative business is challenged by a Mexican cartel that results in kidnapping, deception, murderOliver Stone applies his distinctive directorial style to a by-the-numbers drug plot. Two men (Taylor Kitsch & Aaron Johnson) are ying-yang partners in a pot enterprise: one is a hot-blooded vet and the other is the Buddhist business head. The only real twist: they share a girlfriend. Their lucrative business is challenged by a Mexican cartel that results in kidnapping, deception, murder and more. While there's nothing original here, Stone has given the film a muscular force that propels the action. There are a few violent or gruesome moments and some of his signature flashy flourishes, but nothing to make this film standout. The ending (which I hated) feels like it was tacked on after focus groups. But overall, it's brassy and full of fun performances. Expand
  8. Nov 25, 2012
    This is just what the doctor ordered. A movie with an easy to understans story that has the momentum of a 1,000,000 ton train moving at 1,000,000 mph. It's a combination of modern filmaking and 70's pretentiousness. And that's great. This destroyed my theater made blues. Awesome.
  9. Jul 8, 2012
    This was a very great movie all the way up to the frustrating ending. The acting was better than expected. Benicio Del Toro was fregen awesome and Blake Lively was hot, what more can you ask? Haha, but really the story was perfectly written with a engaging script and a perfect cast. This movie was suspenseful, it was funny, it was gruesome and in the end its exactly what you want in aThis was a very great movie all the way up to the frustrating ending. The acting was better than expected. Benicio Del Toro was fregen awesome and Blake Lively was hot, what more can you ask? Haha, but really the story was perfectly written with a engaging script and a perfect cast. This movie was suspenseful, it was funny, it was gruesome and in the end its exactly what you want in a film, great entertainment. If you don't like gruesome scenes or alot of smoking and drugs than stay away, but if you can deal with those and love a great story and a hell of an entertaining film with action, story and the whole nine yards then you'll love Savages, the only reason it isn't a 10 is because the ending bothered the crap out of me, theres nothing more frustrating than a movie ending with a good scene and then there like "but that isn't what really happened", and then it rewinds and gives you a different ending. It's frustrating and annoying, and it was definitely worth me negating 3 points. 7/10 Expand
  10. Nov 25, 2012
    Surprisingly good effort from director Oliver Stone, in a territory that his fellow peers Martin Scorcesse is famous for: the crime drama. The younger casts are quite good, while both Hayek and Del Toro again showed us their acting chops. Typical of this genre, there's the usual ultra violence and gore. Too bad the ending felt tacked on. Otherwise, a pretty good crime flick.
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    This was a good movie but it was nowhere near the type of movie the previews led on. The trailers made it seem like almost a Taken style of movie but with a love triangle and drugs. Instead, it was a much slower style film. The acting was great and the politics and plot development was solid but I just was expecting a different vibe.
  12. Nov 17, 2012
    "Savages" was a pretty entertaining violent drug cartel tale. I may be alone in stating that the all-star cast detracted from the tale because it lent a saccharin celebrity-fest tone to it. Again alone here, but I didn't like Salma Hayak in that role, she doesn't come across as ruthless, at all, she's too feminine and dainty, totally miscast. That role, along with most others, should've"Savages" was a pretty entertaining violent drug cartel tale. I may be alone in stating that the all-star cast detracted from the tale because it lent a saccharin celebrity-fest tone to it. Again alone here, but I didn't like Salma Hayak in that role, she doesn't come across as ruthless, at all, she's too feminine and dainty, totally miscast. That role, along with most others, should've gone to up and coming unknowns to give them a breakout film. I supposed Oliver Stone wanted his A-list buddies in it, so it's tainted for his personal choices. Otherwise, the storyline and pacing are good and you get several perspectives on savages throughout with an ironic twist just before credits roll. Expand
  13. Jul 7, 2012
    Quite frankly, I am at loss for words. Not because the film didn't deliver enough content to speak of. Surely, enough people get shot, blown up, stabbed, beat senseless, raped, smacked around, set on fire, flagellated, and even spat on the face, to just mention a few. It's just that I feel completely unaffected.
    A case could be made for the fact that in modern times violence has become
    A case could be made for the fact that in modern times violence has become daily bread in all media, and also having watched way too many movies at this point, I might have grown numb to all this violence. But then I think back to movies like Black Swan, or TV shows like Breaking Bad, where I definitely feel something. And it's not that I am making a case of those films being better than this one. It's just that I am at a loss for words, and I am not used to experiencing this in an Oliver Stone film.
    I am a big fan of this director's work. Not just his efforts commanding a picture, but also his writing, and most projects he's produced. I can count a large percentage of the Stone trademark holding a spot in my list of favorites.
    Perhaps it was the actors involved. No doubt they are fantastic to look at. But their performances, again, I am at a loss for words. However professional were their deliveries, I'm pretty sure any other competent dramatist could have done no less.
    Now, I'm sure some of you out there are saying, "Hey! how about Benicio!? He was great..." Yes. He was. But he was doing Benicio as Benicio does Benicio. So it's already built in in the expectation. I thought the idea was to give your fans something to be surprised by. You know, like Salma Hayek's performance. Now, there's some acting with balls. The problem is that she is the only strong delivery in the entire film, and no war is won by a single soldier.
    Which brings me to that narration by Blake Lively... Wow... I don't think we needed so much of it. The visuals gave plenty. Specially when she sounds like she is reading off a teleprompter. No heart into the words whatsoever. Next time. Just keep her in a bikini instead of kidnapped in a corner in a full dress. Get your money's worth when you are hiring a super hot lady.
    The plot was clearly intertwined with some skill. And, in fact, I noticed no less than three writers took credit on that script. They really had a go at it. It's just that, well, I'm at a loss for words... Maybe they should have called in that fourth writer to give us a better version of something we have seen fifty five times by now.
    By all means, go watch the film. You will probably like it. Contrary to what you might think reading these words, I did enjoy it. It is fun and will help you kill two hours plus with no problem. Just don't expect to remember it next week, or maybe even by tomorrow.
  14. Dec 10, 2012
    I don't know what to say. It was a captivating movie, with the most brutal scene I've ever seen on a commercial film. It kept my attention and focus from frame one till the end -- which folks should be debating, and about which I would love to hear from Stone. IF you can take a very dark movie, this is one of the best of that genre.
  15. Aug 4, 2012
    Every time Oliver Stone comes to the big screen, the nostalgic thought comes to mind, (Wall Street), which is a great made film, and (Platoon) which won stone his first oscar win for best director. With a fantastic resume, Can Savages live up to the expectations of previous stone films? Chon, played by (Taylor Kitsch) is part of a drug rising and selling business with his best friend BenEvery time Oliver Stone comes to the big screen, the nostalgic thought comes to mind, (Wall Street), which is a great made film, and (Platoon) which won stone his first oscar win for best director. With a fantastic resume, Can Savages live up to the expectations of previous stone films? Chon, played by (Taylor Kitsch) is part of a drug rising and selling business with his best friend Ben (Aaron Johnson). Together, they have an empire of marijuana. Also, in their empire, they are both in love with O (Blake Lively, who plays a true slut, Haha). Mexican Cartel leader Elena, played by the ever so beautiful, (Selma Hayek), who plays a very passionate cartel leader, who when seeing her on screen, you know she has complete power. Elena wants to work with Chon and Ben, and use their knowledge of the drug business to make one huge profit. Along the way we are introduced to Lado (Benicio Del Toro), who steals every single scene in the movie with such a charismatic style, and Dennis performed by (John Travolta), who personally I Expand
  16. Jul 19, 2012
    This is not a great movie at all. Benicio del Toro is the only great acting in the movie. The story is weak and the acting bad. Not even worth watching unless you are very sadistic :P Very disappointing, specially for an Oliver Stone movie.
  17. Jul 20, 2012
    This movie has a good premise and starts off very good. It maintains its intensity throughout the movie until the last 1/2 hour, then it falls apart. I would have rated it higher if they had some reasonable ending. Overall the acting is good. Plenty of action and great scenery.
  18. Jul 21, 2012
    This was one of the best movies I've seen. Salma Hayek was absolutely beautiful and she played her role very well. Everyone in this movie was wonderful.
  19. Jul 22, 2012
    Just saw Savages. Wow. I am in love with this movie. Everything about that movie was just great. The music was perfect, the the story was fun, fresh and original and the casting was BRILLIANT. Let's start with that. First of all, I cannot believe that this is the same Aaron Johnson that we saw in Kick-Ass. He looks so much more mature and he acts it to. And then there is Taylor Kitsch.Just saw Savages. Wow. I am in love with this movie. Everything about that movie was just great. The music was perfect, the the story was fun, fresh and original and the casting was BRILLIANT. Let's start with that. First of all, I cannot believe that this is the same Aaron Johnson that we saw in Kick-Ass. He looks so much more mature and he acts it to. And then there is Taylor Kitsch. Taylor Kitsch has had an AMAZING year so far. Well at least in my eyes... I thought John Carter was easily one of the best movies of the year and Battleship, while far from perfect, was still a lot of fun. What really sucks is that both of those movies tanked in the eyes of studio executives and unfortunately they will look at it as Taylor Kitsch's fault since he was the lead in both. That is really really unfortunate because Savages just once again shows me how much I love this guy as an actor. The rest of the cast is just brilliant as well. Blake Lively was great, John Travolta was amazing and oh my god where Benecio Del Toro and the stunning Salma Hayek both genius. Those to where seriously phenomenal.

What makes the actors so great was that they had amazing characters to play. I loved all of the characters in this movie, especially some of the minor ones. None of them felt like throwaway characters who where there just to serve up a plot detail. They all felt real and they where all so very interesting.

Besides the brilliant acting and extremely fun story was the fact that this movie just had a great style to it and the music really helps to add to that to. You can see this movies style in the fantastic promotional materials this movies been putting out. That poster? One of my favorite posters of the year. And the trailer was great to because it really did a great job of not spoiling anything because there are a lot of places that the story goes that I just wasn't expecting.

All in all, if you liked what you saw in the trailer then you will love the movie. It's so much fun. My only two problems where A) it got a little hard trying to figure out who was who in the epic finale and B) I wasn't really digging the whole super zoomed in look the movie had throughout most of it. But that may have been because I was sitting down closer to the screen than usual because the theater was sold out. Which is good because this movie deserves to do well.
  20. Aug 5, 2012
    my roomate's step-mother brought in $15301 last month. she has been making cash on the computer and moved in a $482100 condo. All she did was get fortunate and put into work the information given on this web NuttyRich.com
  21. Aug 14, 2012
    While Savages could have been a little more than what it was, it's still a fine piece of film-making. Some may find the violence distasteful, but the performances are what keeps the film going along.
  22. Oct 24, 2012
    A nasty, gory piece of entertainment. It's a lot of fun seeing how low-lives and scum stab each other in the back, side and front. Fine acting and cinematography too, with just some close-ups being too long and unnecessary. I had a problem sympathising with the leads, which I found to be a bit boring. Salma Hayek has the more interesting role. Two problems are more serious: The movie doesA nasty, gory piece of entertainment. It's a lot of fun seeing how low-lives and scum stab each other in the back, side and front. Fine acting and cinematography too, with just some close-ups being too long and unnecessary. I had a problem sympathising with the leads, which I found to be a bit boring. Salma Hayek has the more interesting role. Two problems are more serious: The movie does not find it's own tone between sexy hippie story and hardcore gangster drama (which makes it about 15 minutes to long too). And the ending sucks! Otherwise a darkly good time (B). Expand
  23. Apr 22, 2013
    Oliver Stone has done a great job with this film. From the beginning to the end I was thoroughly entertained, particularly with Benico Del Toro.

Ignore anyone who comments on the story being racist. They're seeing something which conflicts with their views and react negatively to protect themselves (Cognitive dissonance). It's just a film and shows both sides can be good and bad. It

It must be said the love triangle you'll witness is very believeable too. Whilst some may think this is odd or strange within their world and context it is plausible. Very progressive for a mainstream hollywood film!

I highly recommend this to anyone. My friends went into it thinking it was going to be crap and left quite satisfied. Sit back and enjoy!
  24. Mar 15, 2013
    A fun stylish action film, Savages is a lot of fun. It's good to see Oliver Stone making a strong action movie again. The only thing that made this film an 8 was a weak ending.
  25. Sep 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was good,exciting,thrilling but i say the "first" ending should've been the actual ending like Romeo and Juliet style,the ending when the big boss gets arrested by DEA is so tame and lame seriously,But yeah overall its enjoyable at most. Expand
  26. Jun 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For some reason i really liked this film. It was catchy and it had great plot. The cast was fine and in general seemed to me like a great film I liked that thing in the end that it opposed two alternative endings. That was smart Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 21, 2012
    Sadly, Savages plays up to Stone's worst tendencies: machismo, bombast and self-indulgence, and the factor that could conceivably have made this movie tolerable – humour – is off the menu.
  2. Reviewed by: William Thomas
    Sep 17, 2012
    What could have been an effective excoriation of US drug policy and a proper look at the violence inherent in the trade is wasted on a simplistic thriller that offers very little, especially given who is behind the camera. Sorry if that harshes anyone's buzz.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken McIntyre
    Sep 1, 2012
    Savages is punishing in places, but there are enough colourful characters and careening twists to make it worth the effort.