Universal Pictures | Release Date: July 6, 2012
6.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 221 Ratings
WATCH NOW
mschoaJul 11, 2012
There was too much violence for me - some of it gratuitous violence. But I guess with news stories of the drug-related killing in Mexico, it must be realistic. Sad to see that this is reality. Good acting by the principals.
SantiagoMAKiiNAJul 7, 2012
Quite frankly, I am at loss for words. Not because the film didn't deliver enough content to speak of. Surely, enough people get shot, blown up, stabbed, beat senseless, raped, smacked around, set on fire, flagellated, and even spat on theQuite frankly, I am at loss for words. Not because the film didn't deliver enough content to speak of. Surely, enough people get shot, blown up, stabbed, beat senseless, raped, smacked around, set on fire, flagellated, and even spat on the face, to just mention a few. It's just that I feel completely unaffected.
A case could be made for the fact that in modern times violence has become daily bread in all media, and also having watched way too many movies at this point, I might have grown numb to all this violence. But then I think back to movies like Black Swan, or TV shows like Breaking Bad, where I definitely feel something. And it's not that I am making a case of those films being better than this one. It's just that I am at a loss for words, and I am not used to experiencing this in an Oliver Stone film.
I am a big fan of this director's work. Not just his efforts commanding a picture, but also his writing, and most projects he's produced. I can count a large percentage of the Stone trademark holding a spot in my list of favorites.
Perhaps it was the actors involved. No doubt they are fantastic to look at. But their performances, again, I am at a loss for words. However professional were their deliveries, I'm pretty sure any other competent dramatist could have done no less.
Now, I'm sure some of you out there are saying, "Hey! how about Benicio!? He was great..." Yes. He was. But he was doing Benicio as Benicio does Benicio. So it's already built in in the expectation. I thought the idea was to give your fans something to be surprised by. You know, like Salma Hayek's performance. Now, there's some acting with balls. The problem is that she is the only strong delivery in the entire film, and no war is won by a single soldier.
Which brings me to that narration by Blake Lively... Wow... I don't think we needed so much of it. The visuals gave plenty. Specially when she sounds like she is reading off a teleprompter. No heart into the words whatsoever. Next time. Just keep her in a bikini instead of kidnapped in a corner in a full dress. Get your money's worth when you are hiring a super hot lady.
The plot was clearly intertwined with some skill. And, in fact, I noticed no less than three writers took credit on that script. They really had a go at it. It's just that, well, I'm at a loss for words... Maybe they should have called in that fourth writer to give us a better version of something we have seen fifty five times by now.
By all means, go watch the film. You will probably like it. Contrary to what you might think reading these words, I did enjoy it. It is fun and will help you kill two hours plus with no problem. Just don't expect to remember it next week, or maybe even by tomorrow.
Artie412Dec 10, 2012
I don't know what to say. It was a captivating movie, with the most brutal scene I've ever seen on a commercial film. It kept my attention and focus from frame one till the end -- which folks should be debating, and about which I would loveI don't know what to say. It was a captivating movie, with the most brutal scene I've ever seen on a commercial film. It kept my attention and focus from frame one till the end -- which folks should be debating, and about which I would love to hear from Stone. IF you can take a very dark movie, this is one of the best of that genre. Expand
Tbrown15Aug 4, 2012
Every time Oliver Stone comes to the big screen, the nostalgic thought comes to mind, (Wall Street), which is a great made film, and (Platoon) which won stone his first oscar win for best director. With a fantastic resume, Can Savages live upEvery time Oliver Stone comes to the big screen, the nostalgic thought comes to mind, (Wall Street), which is a great made film, and (Platoon) which won stone his first oscar win for best director. With a fantastic resume, Can Savages live up to the expectations of previous stone films? Chon, played by (Taylor Kitsch) is part of a drug rising and selling business with his best friend Ben (Aaron Johnson). Together, they have an empire of marijuana. Also, in their empire, they are both in love with O (Blake Lively, who plays a true slut, Haha). Mexican Cartel leader Elena, played by the ever so beautiful, (Selma Hayek), who plays a very passionate cartel leader, who when seeing her on screen, you know she has complete power. Elena wants to work with Chon and Ben, and use their knowledge of the drug business to make one huge profit. Along the way we are introduced to Lado (Benicio Del Toro), who steals every single scene in the movie with such a charismatic style, and Dennis performed by (John Travolta), who personally I Expand
dafneJul 19, 2012
This is not a great movie at all. Benicio del Toro is the only great acting in the movie. The story is weak and the acting bad. Not even worth watching unless you are very sadistic :P Very disappointing, specially for an Oliver Stone movie.
Mr2timesJul 20, 2012
This movie has a good premise and starts off very good. It maintains its intensity throughout the movie until the last 1/2 hour, then it falls apart. I would have rated it higher if they had some reasonable ending. Overall the acting isThis movie has a good premise and starts off very good. It maintains its intensity throughout the movie until the last 1/2 hour, then it falls apart. I would have rated it higher if they had some reasonable ending. Overall the acting is good. Plenty of action and great scenery. Expand
MovieGoer1Jul 21, 2012
This was one of the best movies I've seen. Salma Hayek was absolutely beautiful and she played her role very well. Everyone in this movie was wonderful.
CBeckman25Jul 22, 2012
Just saw Savages. Wow. I am in love with this movie. Everything about that movie was just great. The music was perfect, the the story was fun, fresh and original and the casting was BRILLIANT. Let's start with that. First of all, I cannotJust saw Savages. Wow. I am in love with this movie. Everything about that movie was just great. The music was perfect, the the story was fun, fresh and original and the casting was BRILLIANT. Let's start with that. First of all, I cannot believe that this is the same Aaron Johnson that we saw in Kick-Ass. He looks so much more mature and he acts it to. And then there is Taylor Kitsch. Taylor Kitsch has had an AMAZING year so far. Well at least in my eyes... I thought John Carter was easily one of the best movies of the year and Battleship, while far from perfect, was still a lot of fun. What really sucks is that both of those movies tanked in the eyes of studio executives and unfortunately they will look at it as Taylor Kitsch's fault since he was the lead in both. That is really really unfortunate because Savages just once again shows me how much I love this guy as an actor. The rest of the cast is just brilliant as well. Blake Lively was great, John Travolta was amazing and oh my god where Benecio Del Toro and the stunning Salma Hayek both genius. Those to where seriously phenomenal.

What makes the actors so great was that they had amazing characters to play. I loved all of the characters in this movie, especially some of the minor ones. None of them felt like throwaway characters who where there just to serve up a plot detail. They all felt real and they where all so very interesting.

Besides the brilliant acting and extremely fun story was the fact that this movie just had a great style to it and the music really helps to add to that to. You can see this movies style in the fantastic promotional materials this movies been putting out. That poster? One of my favorite posters of the year. And the trailer was great to because it really did a great job of not spoiling anything because there are a lot of places that the story goes that I just wasn't expecting.

All in all, if you liked what you saw in the trailer then you will love the movie. It's so much fun. My only two problems where A) it got a little hard trying to figure out who was who in the epic finale and B) I wasn't really digging the whole super zoomed in look the movie had throughout most of it. But that may have been because I was sitting down closer to the screen than usual because the theater was sold out. Which is good because this movie deserves to do well.
larsen16Aug 5, 2012
my roomate's step-mother brought in $15301 last month. she has been making cash on the computer and moved in a $482100 condo. All she did was get fortunate and put into work the information given on this web NuttyRich.com
Captain_KirkAug 14, 2012
While Savages could have been a little more than what it was, it's still a fine piece of film-making. Some may find the violence distasteful, but the performances are what keeps the film going along.
Jailhouse_McGeeOct 24, 2012
A nasty, gory piece of entertainment. It's a lot of fun seeing how low-lives and scum stab each other in the back, side and front. Fine acting and cinematography too, with just some close-ups being too long and unnecessary. I had a problemA nasty, gory piece of entertainment. It's a lot of fun seeing how low-lives and scum stab each other in the back, side and front. Fine acting and cinematography too, with just some close-ups being too long and unnecessary. I had a problem sympathising with the leads, which I found to be a bit boring. Salma Hayek has the more interesting role. Two problems are more serious: The movie does not find it's own tone between sexy hippie story and hardcore gangster drama (which makes it about 15 minutes to long too). And the ending sucks! Otherwise a darkly good time (B). Expand
SeriosityDec 13, 2012
They remove Blake Lively's greatest asset by having her narrate. The villains make the movie while the ending nearly ruins it. A mixed bag if there ever was one, but it's entertaining.
cameronmorewoodNov 5, 2012
Savages, a film by Oliver Stone, tends to be so over the top, you begin to wonder how the actors all keep a straight face. This is a film that's cheese ball, but doesn't know it's cheese ball. Those are the worst kinds of movies.
Nesbitt10Jan 19, 2013
A return to form for Stone's dark side,"Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" and "World Trade Center" were almost insultingly faceless, a definite problem for a director whose best films exude righteous anger. "Savages" generates ruthless energy,A return to form for Stone's dark side,"Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps" and "World Trade Center" were almost insultingly faceless, a definite problem for a director whose best films exude righteous anger. "Savages" generates ruthless energy, a battle between good and evil, except that everyone in it is evil, and the momentum generated by the savagery doesn't compensate for a lack-luster storyline.
California dudes Ben and Chon (Aaron Johnson and Taylor Kitsch) are dragged into a turf war with the expansion-minded Mexican cartel run by Salma Hayek's drug-war widow Elena, and her brutally amoral deputy, Lado (Benicio del Toro). The Mexicans regularly show their power by creating and disseminating videos documenting torture and lots and lots of beheadings. Eighty miles over the border, in Laguna Beach, Ben and Chon supply their ultra-potent, genetically engineered strains to legal medical dispensaries but make their real money illegally shipping out of state. The product and its profits fuel the boys' lifestyle of neo-hippie decadence, embodied by the business partners' enthusiastic bedroom sharing of poor little rich girl turned eco-friendly, hippie Ophelia (Blake Lively). Both sides consider the other to be "savages"-which we know because they say it aloud repeatedly just in case we didn't catch it already.
Mexican Baja Cartel decides to move in and demands that the trio partners with them. When the merciless head of the BC, Elena, and her brutal enforcer, Lado, underestimate the unbreakable bond among these three friends, Ben and Chon--with the reluctant, slippery assistance of a dirty DEA agent (John Travolta), wage a seemingly unwinnable war against the cartel. And so begins a series of increasingly vicious ploys and maneuvers in a high stakes, savage battle of wills. Honestly, not that bad but not that good either, resulting in complete indifference on this one. A talented cast that doesn't feel fully utilized and a story that's not all that compelling. Soul is something "Savages" lacks and feels hollow, not least because Kitsch and Johnson, who take on lead roles, register as blanks on-screen. In contrast, Hayek and del Toro, both sporting apparently intentionally terrible wigs, give over-the-top performances who command our interest while committing heinous acts, and setting a record for number of beheadings in a single film.
winthorp3rdDec 16, 2012
Another comic book extrusion by Ollie Stone. The "violence" was so contrived, and the characters so manufactured, that it seemed about as real as an elementary school play, with little kids and plastic swords. Blake Lively as the hot babe?Another comic book extrusion by Ollie Stone. The "violence" was so contrived, and the characters so manufactured, that it seemed about as real as an elementary school play, with little kids and plastic swords. Blake Lively as the hot babe? She's way over the hill. John Travolta again? Won't he ever go away, and do us the favor of keeping his bloated, cross-eyed, ferret-like mincing persona out of our collective view? And Salma Hayek with the Uma Thurman wig straight out of Pulp Fiction (a similar failed exercise in Hollywood cool-ness). How derivative can you get? I will say though that the movie got better after the 4th glass of wine. Expand
coco4beeFeb 12, 2013
Too much exaggeration and commercialism. All the love-making and inhumane treatment of human bodies did not support the main point of the movie or at least, make up for the lack of real action. The kind of action is like throwing grenades andToo much exaggeration and commercialism. All the love-making and inhumane treatment of human bodies did not support the main point of the movie or at least, make up for the lack of real action. The kind of action is like throwing grenades and shooting big guns..nothing that requires too much skill (the way a real action film is suppose to be). This movie tried too hard to be sexy, scary, and hardcore. Expand
nicholasbertJan 20, 2014
This film is horrendous and I was very surprised when I read the director was Oliver Stone. The worst part of it is, of course, the plot: trite and dull, where the only new thing we haven't already seen a million times is the double ending,This film is horrendous and I was very surprised when I read the director was Oliver Stone. The worst part of it is, of course, the plot: trite and dull, where the only new thing we haven't already seen a million times is the double ending, which is an utter mess, so much so that I don't even want to write about it.

The acting is laughable, with the exception of Benicio del Toro who is, as usual, great in this simple-minded, one-way character he was given.
bm2759Apr 22, 2013
Oliver Stone has done a great job with this film. From the beginning to the end I was thoroughly entertained, particularly with Benico Del Toro.

Ignore anyone who comments on the story being racist. They're seeing something which conflicts with their views and react negatively to protect themselves (Cognitive dissonance). It's just a film and shows both sides can be good and bad.

It must be said the love triangle you'll witness is very believeable too. Whilst some may think this is odd or strange within their world and context it is plausible. Very progressive for a mainstream hollywood film!

I highly recommend this to anyone. My friends went into it thinking it was going to be crap and left quite satisfied. Sit back and enjoy!
BrianMcCriticMar 15, 2013
A fun stylish action film, Savages is a lot of fun. It's good to see Oliver Stone making a strong action movie again. The only thing that made this film an 8 was a weak ending.
Twist_Of_FateSep 25, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was good,exciting,thrilling but i say the "first" ending should've been the actual ending like Romeo and Juliet style,the ending when the big boss gets arrested by DEA is so tame and lame seriously,But yeah overall its enjoyable at most. Expand
KivaJun 11, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For some reason i really liked this film. It was catchy and it had great plot. The cast was fine and in general seemed to me like a great film I liked that thing in the end that it opposed two alternative endings. That was smart Expand
dyshpoJul 29, 2013
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the ones i wanted to die was the main characters they were totally ugly. Taylor's character is a sadist every torture scene he's smirking. Gosh i was hoping the shootout ending was what really happened. this is an unwatchable travesty Expand
dusch13Nov 10, 2013
Savages is, thankfully, a one off experience. I have never experienced such a poor film in my years as a movie goer. None of the characters are likable, the script is a mess and hugely disappointing and Oliver Stone seems to still thinkSavages is, thankfully, a one off experience. I have never experienced such a poor film in my years as a movie goer. None of the characters are likable, the script is a mess and hugely disappointing and Oliver Stone seems to still think random transitions and filters are impressive. It is not the worst movie ever made, but it could potentially be the least enjoyable. Expand
Devoiam2Nov 3, 2013
The one most obvious flaw in the movie. These two guys would not even care if 'O' was executed in the drug world. There is no loyalty or love. These people are insane, period. No compassion. No morality code. I got it, it's a movie. Just notThe one most obvious flaw in the movie. These two guys would not even care if 'O' was executed in the drug world. There is no loyalty or love. These people are insane, period. No compassion. No morality code. I got it, it's a movie. Just not very good one. The ending was a complete cinematic disaster. If that was Stone's artistic 'See what a great screenplay writer I am' attempt, I am disappointed. Expand
theretrogamerDec 17, 2013
This movie was lame. I'm disappointed in Oliver stone. The story is lame and very unbelievable. The acting was very stale. Will not recommend or watch again.
sicranoOct 17, 2015
Stone not reaches,the height that he made in Scarface 1983 with the script and fantastic ideas, but Savages (2012) is one of best things that he do in a good time...
CineAutoctonoJan 14, 2016
Savages is a hard movie fun and electrifying , sex , drugs, profanity and scenes of action are strongly censored and informally shown , but at other times was acceptable , that I recommend NOT SUITABLE FOR MINORS , and otherwise, they shouldSavages is a hard movie fun and electrifying , sex , drugs, profanity and scenes of action are strongly censored and informally shown , but at other times was acceptable , that I recommend NOT SUITABLE FOR MINORS , and otherwise, they should get the Oliver Stone movie , because it's not like the level of similarity to this movie , this was the most **** movie I've seen in my life, and with the song of El Chavo? jaj! What ****s are you! Expand
choomtabi31Jan 25, 2016
A richly entertaining adaptation of Winslow's novel.

Watch this movie here for free http://www.watchfree.to/watch-29b8f0-Savages-movie-online-free-putlocker.html
JohnTravolta321Sep 21, 2016
Blake Lively, John Travolta, and Salma Hayek(HOLY COW IS SHE HOT!), amongst others, star in this extremely violent, sexually charged(understatement), highly controversial thriller! This is a ferocious, sexy epic that never stops with theBlake Lively, John Travolta, and Salma Hayek(HOLY COW IS SHE HOT!), amongst others, star in this extremely violent, sexually charged(understatement), highly controversial thriller! This is a ferocious, sexy epic that never stops with the action! This reminds me a little of Breaking Bad on AMC but this movie is a LOT more controversial. Be prepared to be shocked at the ADULT content! Two friends in the marijuana business attract the attention of the Mexican Baja Cartel and it becomes VERY violent very quickly. The war that starts is one they know they cannot win. However, the Cartel kidnaps their girlfriend and then it gets personal. The Boston Globe calls this movie "a stylish, violent thriller". Rated R is an understatement due to excessive violence, nudity, sex, drugs, and language. Expand
Batman321Aug 9, 2016
This was a cracking film. The cast is just fantastic; there are plenty of younger stars, but the big three, Hayek, Travolta and Del Toro are electric, even though the story isn't exactly centred around them, when they appear it's first rate,This was a cracking film. The cast is just fantastic; there are plenty of younger stars, but the big three, Hayek, Travolta and Del Toro are electric, even though the story isn't exactly centred around them, when they appear it's first rate, saturday night entertainment - action, guns, violence and good old American, 1980s, christian morals thrown in for good measures. The title is god awful, even given the theme of the film (no spoilers here), it doesn't make any sense to me that they'd call the film Savages - Beautiful Savages maybe. Any way, apart from that minor criticism there is nothing about the actual film that is half-baked or ill conceived - it rocks from start to finish and sees Oliver Stone return to true form, who has had some belters, but he's had some utter doozers too, Savages comes under the former. Expand