7.2

1. Oct 31, 2014
    The 2004 motion picture directed by James Wan and written by his friend Leigh Whannel. The films stars Cary Elwes, Danny glover, Monica Porter and Leigh Whannel. The music is by Charlie clouser and the cinematography is by David A Armstrong. The film is about two men (Adam and Dr Lawrence Gordon)who are stuck in a old bathroom chained to a pipe by their foot, there only way to escape is toThe 2004 motion picture directed by James Wan and written by his friend Leigh Whannel. The films stars Cary Elwes, Danny glover, Monica Porter and Leigh Whannel. The music is by Charlie clouser and the cinematography is by David A Armstrong. The film is about two men (Adam and Dr Lawrence Gordon)who are stuck in a old bathroom chained to a pipe by their foot, there only way to escape is to cut their foot off. Detective Tapp (Danny Glover) is on the case of the jigsaw killer who has put people in grisly traps where they must shed blood to save their life. The film has great tension from the opening shot and to the shocking twist at the end which will leave you wanting more. The music by Charlie Clouser is amazing and the cinematography is brilliant with the many wide shots and close up shots. The dialogue is good but the actor of Adam (Leigh Whannel) can be bad in some parts and sometimes the story has its plot holes which some if the sequels clear up. The film had a budget of 1.2 million dollars and made 103 million dollars. The production design by Julie Berghoff is superb because the grisly traps look brilliant especially the reverse bear trap. The traps are good and the misconception of the first film is that it is gory but it isn't you will see a shot of something gory it will cut straight to the persons face and gives more tension. The film is one of my favourite films because even though it has plot holes, it has a special place in my heart. I give this film 9/10. Expand
  2. Oct 31, 2014
    i do not understand why critics are hating saw , its fun a film its a classic with blood , crime and suspense. Its awesome saw is the top horror movie of the century thats why Saw needed a sequel the franchise needed to keep the franchise going without writer leigh whannell and director James Wan there would be No saw. Grade
  3. Oct 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film seems kind of underrated. If you're sceptical about watching it because you think it'll be a slasher movie, think again. Admittedly, it's a little violent, but not unnecessarily so like the rest of the instalments. It's a very well-acted production, with clever twists - one of which was completely unforeseen. The story is kind of all over the place sometimes - we start off in Jigsaw's bathroom challenge, then constantly go back and forth between flashbacks. But it works most of the time.
    I have no such hope for the rest of the series - and I hope it's not continued. Maybe one, two, or three Saw films is OK, but no more than that.
  4. Sep 13, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i just can't understand why the critics hated this movie. it is a mystery thriller. some people might not like this movie because of its gore but i was blown away in the climax. i do not wish to spoil the story. but this movie definitely deserves a lot more than this score. i give it a perfect 10. Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2014
    "Saw" is a very grisly, brutal, intense, and unpredictable film. It's a lot more psychologically terrifying than physical. This film is said to be insanely gory, but it's really not. There's very little gore in comparison to other films like "High Tension" or "Martyrs", but "Saw" is still a very morbid and gritty little movie. The acting isn't the best, but the cinematography is great."Saw" is a very grisly, brutal, intense, and unpredictable film. It's a lot more psychologically terrifying than physical. This film is said to be insanely gory, but it's really not. There's very little gore in comparison to other films like "High Tension" or "Martyrs", but "Saw" is still a very morbid and gritty little movie. The acting isn't the best, but the cinematography is great. "Saw" is a lot more like a crime-thriller than a horror film, so if you like crime-style movies, I definitely recommend this. Expand
  6. Jun 13, 2014
    This just goes to show that critics don't know crap. This is a great movie that kicked off a whole new wave of horror. How could you not like it? Well, I for one, loved it, and highly recommend it.
  7. Apr 30, 2014
    In this film, there are something that is not present in 99% of horror films – sense. In what sense? The idea is that why live if you live in the shuffle. Do not bring any benefit not just live. Acting is above all praise. All steeped in some despair, hopelessness, it makes worry about heroes.
  8. Mar 3, 2014
    Saw is for me the best modern horror movie! It's interesting from start to finish, you can feel for the characters and it has a dark atmosphere. These things get unfortunately lost in the last sequels.
  9. Mar 1, 2014
    Saw has earned a place in the best horror movies, but I do not think the movie had a way is beyond. Traps are good and I hit a lot of psycho intelligence John Kramer, but does not give you 10 for one reason: the end was not very well, that leaves a lot of mystery and some disappointment due to the lack of character actors . My final opinion is that it is a good horror movie, but it was notSaw has earned a place in the best horror movies, but I do not think the movie had a way is beyond. Traps are good and I hit a lot of psycho intelligence John Kramer, but does not give you 10 for one reason: the end was not very well, that leaves a lot of mystery and some disappointment due to the lack of character actors . My final opinion is that it is a good horror movie, but it was not what I expected: talent. Expand
  10. Feb 19, 2014
    These sorts of ultra gory horror movies seem to have an audience (as evidenced by the multiple sequels to in this Saw franchise) but I've never been a fan. Partly this is because these types of movies aren't particularly scary but mainly it is the fact that watching people get killed in increasingly brutal and graphic ways isn't my idea of entertainment.

I've often been told that Saw is

I've often been told that Saw is one of the better examples in the genre but since I couldn't stomach any more than about twenty minutes I wouldn't know.
  11. Feb 15, 2014
    A decent , effective, bloody explosion. This mystery horror film is strong in violence and brutal content that makes it two bloody thumbs up. Gruesome and twisted, "Saw" is scary as hell.
  12. Dec 23, 2013
    I love the Saw movies, and this by far the best film in the series overall. Although I think Saw II is more entertaining, and and better and more deaths, Saw, the original is still a classic, and paved the way for the infamy of Jigsaw, and the deaths in the movies. 8/10
  13. Dec 12, 2013
    As rough-edged and unforgiving as the traps in it, Saw will get under your skin and holds the suspense like no other. It sets up the series well, but unfortunately none of the others live up to it.
  14. Nov 27, 2013
    Now, before you read this, keep in mind I've seen all of the saw movies, and I'm a fan of the series. Now, onto the review: This movie was horrible. I know it's the first out of the seven movies, and it's explaining everything, but are you kidding me... no... just no.... boring, and useless. Some of the movie was okay, but no... like, maybe twenty percent was okay, but the other eightyNow, before you read this, keep in mind I've seen all of the saw movies, and I'm a fan of the series. Now, onto the review: This movie was horrible. I know it's the first out of the seven movies, and it's explaining everything, but are you kidding me... no... just no.... boring, and useless. Some of the movie was okay, but no... like, maybe twenty percent was okay, but the other eighty percent big no. Expand
  15. Nov 5, 2013
    Great Movie! Ignore the reviews that say it sucks because they probably just couldn't handle this film! Getting sick of people that probably watched this movie for 30 minutes and give it a 2 because they in their pants...
    9/10 because of the amazing story and scary/thrilling moments
    PS: Also the sequels have a good story aswell
  16. Nov 2, 2013
    "Saw", a low-budget horror movie, had well exceeded beyond my expectations. It's a different kind of horror film, one that you will have never imagine that it will be this way. However, to be honest, the plot is quite ridiculous.
  17. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Saw is the perfect movie for hardcore horror fans who want to see a good gory film, because Saw has more gore than a pig slaughterhouse. Seriously, I mean there's always someone bleeding profusely at some point of this film! Yet another reason fans of the genre will be enamored with Saw.

Besides surpassing the average genre fare, Saw is intelligent. Unlike the usual slasher or gory pic, Saw's story is, for the most part, logically sound, although I put "logically" very lightly. Obviously, it's not every day you wake up in a dirty abandoned bathroom chained to a pipe! For what the film was, it made relative sense. At least, it made more sense than most of the other horror flicks I've seen. The story was engaging, and very compelling. There were a few gaps in logic and minor plot holes, but that's pretty standard for any horror movie. The real logical person in that situation would either find a way out in the first 5 minutes or give up and find a way to kill themselves. But a 5 minute movie where the main character dies in the first 5 minutes wouldn't sell at the box office, would it? So the filmmakers have to suspend logic in some places to move the story along, something most critics don't understand. That doesn't make the movie bad, because believe me, if the mentioned critic saw the "5-minute Saw" I talked about before, he/she wouldn't complain about the real film at all.

Moreover, Saw actually had pretty decent acting. The characters were well-rounded, and this movie was a good kick-starter for the career of Leigh Whannell. Cary Elwes, who I've seen in Twister, Princess Bride, and Robin Hood: Men In Tights, turned his usual goofy character into a serious, dramatic role as Doctor Lawrence Gordon. Desperateness loomed in his eyes the whole film, as he had no idea what was to happen to his wife and child being held captive by an unknown man he thinks is "The Jigsaw Killer". Danny Glover, who almost always dies in a movie, (It seems he's almost surpassed Leonardo DiCaprio in movie deaths!) takes on a detective role as Detective Tapp, obsessed with finding the Jigsaw Killer after Jigsaw kills Tapp's partner, played by Ken Leung.

This film was a good watch, especially if you like horror films, and will leave a bad taste in your mouth. But that was the point!
  18. Jul 30, 2013
    Let me start off by saying that I am not at all a fan of horror movies. But, "Saw" however, manaGed to convince me thAt it's different in a good way. FroM start to finish, the movie is about two people being locked up in an abandonEd bathroom together, no clue where they are Or how they got there. Ofcourse, in decent moVie fashion, that is explained, and the closer you get to the end, theLet me start off by saying that I am not at all a fan of horror movies. But, "Saw" however, manaGed to convince me thAt it's different in a good way. FroM start to finish, the movie is about two people being locked up in an abandonEd bathroom together, no clue where they are Or how they got there. Ofcourse, in decent moVie fashion, that is explained, and the closer you get to the end, the morE it'll surprise you. It pleasantly suRprised me, and as someone who is terrified by disgusting horror, I must say, this one felt quite unique. Expand
  19. Jul 29, 2013
    Saw is a great thriller about Jigsaw who is a person who puts some missions to some people to show them the meaning of life. The first saw is a disturbing thriller about two people who are locked in a bathroom and they try to get out. It has mystery and suspense and an ending that thrills the audience. It has some scary moments but saw doesn't want to scare the audience with Boo moments.Saw is a great thriller about Jigsaw who is a person who puts some missions to some people to show them the meaning of life. The first saw is a disturbing thriller about two people who are locked in a bathroom and they try to get out. It has mystery and suspense and an ending that thrills the audience. It has some scary moments but saw doesn't want to scare the audience with Boo moments. It wants to put the audience in the position of that two people who are locked in the bathroom The result is successful. A quality thriller which deserves the attention. And for the bad reviews? Screw them! Expand
  20. May 30, 2013
    Saw has some really clever ideas and it's a great torture film!
    It's definitely not the best but if you are into those movies this is a MUST WATCH!!!!!
  21. May 3, 2013
    This film is definite to beat any upcoming torture films. This film has the depth of most movies and is really compelling making you want to watch it even if their is about 1 hr 32 minutes of brutal gore. But this movie still beats the Blair Witch Project without a question.
  22. Feb 3, 2013
    A very good horror/psychological thriller. There were a few bits and pieces which didn't make a lot of sense. What happened to Lawrence?? As a whole an enjoyable film, with some really intense scenes. Don't watch before you go to sleep!`
  23. Jan 28, 2013
    I do not like these kind of movies. Sadictic... If you like torture scenes you might have serious mental problems.............................................................................
  24. Dec 23, 2012
    This movie is **** gross!, it is **** bloody and all that **** I mean it is a great movie with a good plot and if you hate on it then your a **** I LOVE THIS **** MOVIE!
  25. Dec 4, 2012
    I am a fan of various movie genres and Saw is the best ever made with the strongest twist which leads to a sarcastic laugh considering a rating of 4.6/10 from the critics! This is absolutely not right. Current IMDB user rating is 7.7/10 with above 180.000 ratings which does not quite comply with the "experts" of 4.6. A big gap in here. 265 critics 4.6 rating against 180.000 users 7.7I am a fan of various movie genres and Saw is the best ever made with the strongest twist which leads to a sarcastic laugh considering a rating of 4.6/10 from the critics! This is absolutely not right. Current IMDB user rating is 7.7/10 with above 180.000 ratings which does not quite comply with the "experts" of 4.6. A big gap in here. 265 critics 4.6 rating against 180.000 users 7.7 rating. What makes the critics in sooth?! Oh, yeah. Marlon Brando is not in it. Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2012
    Saw is being mistaken for a gross-out horror. It's not. It's a crime-thriller with some unusual qualities.
  27. Nov 15, 2012
    This movie just proves that there are no decent horror movies out there. Like all the other horror movies, this movie isn't even scary. It's just a bloody, profane gorefest. Horror movies were meant to scare, but only The Exorcist has managed to give great scares.
  28. Oct 30, 2012
    Saw is a thriller at its finest...sort of. Though the film is essentially a horror film it has nothing to scare you with unless you have a fear of blood and manky bathrooms. The story of saw is simple, 2 men wake in a small dilapidated bathroom chained to the wall with a dead man in between them. One must kill the other before time runs out or both them and their families die. ThroughoutSaw is a thriller at its finest...sort of. Though the film is essentially a horror film it has nothing to scare you with unless you have a fear of blood and manky bathrooms. The story of saw is simple, 2 men wake in a small dilapidated bathroom chained to the wall with a dead man in between them. One must kill the other before time runs out or both them and their families die. Throughout the film you learn about how the two men are connected more than they thought, about their home lives and about the person who put them in that room to begin with, the Jigsaw killer.
    The story and considering how well shot the film is are the only thing to save it as the acting is pretty bad at the best of times but considering this was a fairly low budget film I can forgive. Saw is a must see for thriller/horror fans.
  29. Sep 5, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of the genre but this time I was really impressed ... in a good way. The film is not based on torture (what will happen in the sequels) but is based on the psychology of the characters and the suspense without ever going into the ridiculous. A final effect really at and unexpected.
  30. Aug 8, 2012
    This movie mentally abuses you and un till it makes you scream like a little child because of it's never suspected plot..it's making you shiver all over. I watched the last scene 5 times when I watched this movie. ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES EVER MADE!!

1. Wan's tense, grisly cinematic morsel won't go down easy. But once it hits bottom, Saw is oddly satisfying, though the gag reflex never entirely goes away.
  2. Reviewed by: Heidi Martinuzzi
    May be the best independent horror film to have come out since "The Blair Witch Project." It's certainly better than "Blair Witch", and more fun, more gruesome, and more macabre. In a very delightful way.
    Though dumber than a box of rocks, Saw forges ahead with the kind of conviction and energy that will keep bad-cinema junkies sitting bolt upright.