Scooby-Doo

5.5

1. Nov 12, 2012
    This is probably the best you're going to get attempting a live-action Scooby Doo. It's just not meant to be.
  2. raVen
    Jan 3, 2004
    (4.5) Fans of the original cartoon series who watch this movie will become even greater fans of the original cartoon series, and recall how much better it was (is). The best explanation for this movie's shortcomings, I think, is that it tried to complicate the simplicity that made Scooby Doo Where Are You? so charming....The makers used what they thought we all liked about the idea (4.5) Fans of the original cartoon series who watch this movie will become even greater fans of the original cartoon series, and recall how much better it was (is). The best explanation for this movie's shortcomings, I think, is that it tried to complicate the simplicity that made Scooby Doo Where Are You? so charming....The makers used what they thought we all liked about the idea (See: knowing innuendo and firmly entrenched character traits) and lampooned what they thought we didn't like about it (See: knowing innuendo and firmly entrenched character traits). They created a cynical self-promoting through self-mocking schizophrenia that is crowned at last by a matching surprise ending. I can't be sure, but I would guess that a lot of loving care went into the production of the animated classic -- campy as it might seem to many. It was innocent fun. This film has none of that, but instead the feeling that it was accomplished at the behest of royalty-hungry Hollywood creatures that may bear close resemblance to this ghastly CGI Scooby. For their part, I think the MTV-brand actors did everything they could, (not much,--but still) and I didn't mind their attempted expansion of their characters' range. But a sad mess otherwise. Expand
  3. Mar 5, 2011
    I am a huge fan of Scooby Doo, or at least I am of the old school Scooby Doo, now days they just can't seem to get it right, take this movie for example it's garbage, they made a terrible plot, the characters I loved unlikable, and added some cursing and sex jokes, just like the new tv shows this movie can't seem to get what Scooby Doo is (or was), which is a shame because I was reallyI am a huge fan of Scooby Doo, or at least I am of the old school Scooby Doo, now days they just can't seem to get it right, take this movie for example it's garbage, they made a terrible plot, the characters I loved unlikable, and added some cursing and sex jokes, just like the new tv shows this movie can't seem to get what Scooby Doo is (or was), which is a shame because I was really looking forward to this movie, but was sadly disappointed. Expand
  4. Jun 20, 2013
    The movie started off with the potential to be funny, but, threw away that potential and made it too corny. The villains were horrible, the ending felt forced, there were too many fart jokes, and they tried to make too many jokes that are innapropriate for little kids but that they wouldn't understand, that were there for adults only. Shaggy and Velma actually felt pretty spot-on,The movie started off with the potential to be funny, but, threw away that potential and made it too corny. The villains were horrible, the ending felt forced, there were too many fart jokes, and they tried to make too many jokes that are innapropriate for little kids but that they wouldn't understand, that were there for adults only. Shaggy and Velma actually felt pretty spot-on, characterization and visual-wise, but, Fred and Daphne were off. Fred was arrogant, and Daphne was whiney, which just didn't feel right for either of them. It's sort of a fun movie, but, it has a lot of failed moments and feels like wasted potential. Expand
  5. JakeM.
    Jul 8, 2002
    Wow, I finally realized that these people who are doggin' on Scooby have every right too, the characters are far from there counterparts in the 2-D world. But I can't talk a lot of trash about this movie because even through it was a stupid kid movie, i still thought it was kinda cool. But i warn you, its also an extremely stupid movie.
  6. MichaelS.
    Oct 9, 2002
    Keep the dog back in it's doghouse and give the actors some advice please! It's really not good! Only the kids will like it, but than there are scary ghosts... Oh yeah, and where stays Scooby Doo 2?
  7. ChadS.
    Jun 23, 2002
    "Scooby Doo" could've been a lot of fun if they stuck to the late-sixties milieu instead of annoying us with the MTV beach house vibe. Fans of the cartoon would rather see Matthew Sweet instead of the guy from Sugar Ray as a zombie. However, Lillard as Shaggy and Cardellini as Velma are fun to watch, and how they recast the surprise guest is kind of inspired. Scooby gets off one "Scooby Doo" could've been a lot of fun if they stuck to the late-sixties milieu instead of annoying us with the MTV beach house vibe. Fans of the cartoon would rather see Matthew Sweet instead of the guy from Sugar Ray as a zombie. However, Lillard as Shaggy and Cardellini as Velma are fun to watch, and how they recast the surprise guest is kind of inspired. Scooby gets off one funny throwaway line, and to my surprise, looks plausible enough so the cgi doesn't drive you to distraction. "Scooby Doo" is not a good movie but it's no "Howard the Duck". Expand
  8. christopherb
    May 21, 2005
    I laughed but four times watching this DVD. I wouldn't suggest you watch it evey day.
  9. P.T.
    Jun 17, 2002
    Wait for the DVD, it's worth checking out Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, the only living cast member true to the Doo. "Buffy" as Daphne blows. Velma neurotic? Fred vain? Please, why add false dimension to cartoon characters?
  10. LaurenD.
    Jul 11, 2002
    It would have been a lot better if they stuck to the ideas of the original show instead of modernizing it. Still a good concept though. Matthew Lillard did an awesome Shaggy. And why is it that everyone except Daphne looks like the original?
  11. P.Mcm
    Jul 27, 2002
    Everyone who said there was a poor/no plot line is right; but there doesn't have to be! seriously, people, this movie is intended for children and the occasional teen! it was stupid humor, but what were you expecting? i found myself laughing quite a few times in the very well done beginning, the funny part, but as the movie went on, it seemed to make an attempt at being an actualEveryone who said there was a poor/no plot line is right; but there doesn't have to be! seriously, people, this movie is intended for children and the occasional teen! it was stupid humor, but what were you expecting? i found myself laughing quite a few times in the very well done beginning, the funny part, but as the movie went on, it seemed to make an attempt at being an actual mystery, which didn't turn out so well. Expand
  12. Layne
    Jul 25, 2003
    The director takes a reasonably fun idea and turns it into a crude, dark, blasted satire, and yet it still manages to have fun with itself.
  13. Dec 3, 2011
    This Scooby-Doo movie may have occasional strange humor, but the mystery and story of the movie make sense enough that you can enjoy it. You may like the silliness.
  14. Feb 22, 2013
    Scooby-Doo was one of the cartoons I grew up with as a kid, plus this came out when I was about 6 or 7 so I grew up with the films too and back then they were awesome, but now...not so much.
    Scooby-Doo opens with the case of the Luna Ghost in which Mystery Inc disband due to disagreements which have been piling up over years. 2 years later they are all invited to Spooky Island by Emile Mondavarious to solve a new mystery. However as they try to work individually to solve the mystery they realise they need each other and that this is no normal mystery, that it could lead to the end of the world.
    Scooby-Doo is a great kids film but there is nothing there to satisfy anyone older than 9. The story is poorly written, acting is shoddy (a big surprise seeing as Matthew Lillard from films such as Scream Final Destination plays Shaggy), CGI is poor at best and the camerawork editing are atrocious.
    As a 90 minute episode of the TV series this would have been great, but as a live action standalone title Scooby-Doo the movie just doesn't quite cut it to be an averagely good kids film due to some rookie mistakes, but I'm sure the kids will love it either way.
  15. Jul 14, 2012
    It's not an abomination, but it really is an insult to the TV show that I love so much. I loved Matthew Lillard as Shaggy, though, as he stole every scene he was in. The rest of the cast wasn't as good, the story was lame and only a few of the jokes were funny. Watch the show instead.
  16. Jan 12, 2013
    It is entertaining and fun.
  17. Mar 19, 2013
    I read someone here say that this is as good as a live action Scooby-Doo movie is going to get, and that is pretty much very true. Velma, Shaggy and Scooby in this movie are great and play their roles loyally to their cartoon counterparts, particularly Lillard who seems like he was born to play this role. Sarah Michelle Gellar & Freddie Prinze Jr on the other hand do look the part, butI read someone here say that this is as good as a live action Scooby-Doo movie is going to get, and that is pretty much very true. Velma, Shaggy and Scooby in this movie are great and play their roles loyally to their cartoon counterparts, particularly Lillard who seems like he was born to play this role. Sarah Michelle Gellar & Freddie Prinze Jr on the other hand do look the part, but unfortunately it is hard to see them as their characters as they are a bit too high profile for the roles they are playing. Overall this is movie perhaps tries to be a bit too serious at times but is overall good for some plain old fun. Expand
  18. Sep 20, 2014
    Not bad for a kids' movie. It doesn't aim high, and it's probably not that funny for most people over the age of ten, but it breezes by smoothly enough and the cast members were chosen well. As everyone who has seen this has already said a million times before, Mathew Lillard was the perfect Shaggy. He sounds like him, he acts like him, and he looks like him. It might not even haveNot bad for a kids' movie. It doesn't aim high, and it's probably not that funny for most people over the age of ten, but it breezes by smoothly enough and the cast members were chosen well. As everyone who has seen this has already said a million times before, Mathew Lillard was the perfect Shaggy. He sounds like him, he acts like him, and he looks like him. It might not even have been on purpose. He seems like Shaggy in everything he's in, but that doesn't detract from his performance here. The tone's also not very self serious which helps out a lot. Bottom line, the movie's alright, but it's also nothing great. It's formulaic and lacking in inspiration, but it could have been a whole lot worse. In fact, it probably should have been a whole lot worse. I can easily imagine a painfully bad version of this movie. Expand
  19. Jan 12, 2014
    On New Years Eve, I rented the Scooby Doo film to watch with my brother. Unlike the Scooby Doo cartoons, this movie is a lot different. The main plot is when the gang catch a ghost and unmask him but due to problems in the gang, they split up which leaves Shaggy and Scooby. Later on, they are all invited to an island called Spooky Island where they have to solve the mystery of the visitorsOn New Years Eve, I rented the Scooby Doo film to watch with my brother. Unlike the Scooby Doo cartoons, this movie is a lot different. The main plot is when the gang catch a ghost and unmask him but due to problems in the gang, they split up which leaves Shaggy and Scooby. Later on, they are all invited to an island called Spooky Island where they have to solve the mystery of the visitors being cursed.

Some of the things I liked about the movie would have to be the fact that it pretty much retained the Scooby Doo cartoony action and the fight scene with Daphne and Zarkos. It also has a plotline which you would normally find in a cartoon. I like how they made Scrappy Doo the villain this time as he was an annoyance in the cartoon. He was the main reason why the Scooby Doo franchise was ruined in the first place.

The main problems with the movie were the humor at times was a bit too mature, the higher level of violence and mostly the use of mild language in a movie based on the children's cartoon (it is most notable in the ending cutscene when Scrappy says "I would have got away with it if it weren't for you meddling son of a-". I felt that the movie would have done better without those additions.

Overall, I think it is best that kids avoid this movie as it is more violent than the cartoons, it has humor that they will not understand and there is mild language in certain parts. Some people might find the movie good though but others may want to avoid this movie.
  20. Mar 24, 2016
    While I never liked scooby doo because of it always being the same thing, this is once again the same thing, so dont expect anything new in a movie like this.

1. As live-action adaptations of cheap, unapologetically stupid cartoons go, this is top of the line: The cast is appealing, the sets brightly colored and fun to look at, the mystery as lame and goofy as any featured in the many inexplicably beloved Scooby-Doo cartoons.
  2. Baltimore Sun
    Reviewed by: Chris Kaltenbach
    Bland, inoffensive, formulaic and occasionally amusing - just like the animated kids' show that inspired it.
    This excruciating adaptation of the innocuous '70s cartoon show makes the film version of "Josie and the Pussycats" look sophisticated by comparison.