Scream

8.9

1. Jul 1, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The artistic medium of film is very subjective. Every audience member has a different set of criteria they use to measure their viewing experience. Not everyone shares the same set of criteria. If we did, what a bland and uninspired world this would be.

What I Personally Liked About "Scream":
    Wes Craven has always been one of the better directors of modern horror films. He keeps the direction tight, he gets the shots he wants, and he knows how to pace the production to garner the maximum impact of his thrills and chills. While he might not have been at the top of his form here, he was still better than most terror-spinners from the mid-nineties. It doesn't hurt that he has a halfway decent script from Kevin Williamson to work from either. Playing off the unwritten rules of horror movies was an inventive trick that had been touched upon previously but had never been fully explored. This was a fairly witty, counter cultural screenplay that did its best to revitalize a stale genre. In addition, its twist ending was quite wild for 1996. Neve Campbell deserved the spotlight shone on her as well. You can tell she's dedicated to her craft and really believed in the material that was presented to her. I was very glad to see her in this role, particularly after not being given nearly enough to do in "The Craft" which was released earlier in the same year. I just wish she had better cast member surrounding her. The only notable exception to that statement is Jamie Kennedy. While his solo career featured a couple of hilariously bad pictures ("Malibu's Most Wanted" and "Son of the Mask" spring to mind immediately), his over-the-top style works well within the context of "Scream."

What I Personally Disliked About "Scream":
    Pretty much every other cast member that is not Neve Campbell or Jamie Kennedy. Seriously. Some of them have had wonderful roles outside of this movie, but here it is a different story. David Arquette really stands out as the worst of the worst for me. He's far too cartoonish for this film. His character is far too distracting to be effective. It's like being repeatedly slammed against a brick wall every time he shows up. In a film which contains the queen b--ch lite antics of Courteney Cox, the unabashed Johnny Depp-edness of Skeet Ulrich, and the ham-and-cheese Henry Winkler provides, that's saying a lot. There's also an over reliance on teen drama to further the plot. While it nicely skewers the horror genre, it does accidentally fall prey to the soapish teen flicks of the decade with too many boyfriend/girlfriend problems and too many high school gossiping circles (the bathroom scene where Sidney hides while listening to her classmates ponder her role in the killings is cringe worthy to say the least).

My Overall Impression of "Scream":
    Growing up, I held a very deep interest in horror movies. Sadly, the genre started to take a downward swing in the early nineties. Dimension bought the rights to both the "Halloween" and the "Hellraiser" series, New Line bought Jason Voorhees, and the terror we knew from the eighties started to collapse under its own weight. "Scream" was the new blood needed to pump through the veins of the terror industry and breathe life back into scary movies. It will never live up to the horror classics that came before, but it was good enough to bridge the gap until something better came along.
  2. Jun 14, 2016
    From the opening with Drew Barrymore, to the bloody ending where the heroes triumph and the killers' plan very visibly falls apart, Scream is a masterpiece and a true classic from the late Wes Craven. The film succeeds because the characters are fleshed out and feel like real people due to the script and superb acting (everyone is amazing, but Matthew Lilliard's performance is pure gold),From the opening with Drew Barrymore, to the bloody ending where the heroes triumph and the killers' plan very visibly falls apart, Scream is a masterpiece and a true classic from the late Wes Craven. The film succeeds because the characters are fleshed out and feel like real people due to the script and superb acting (everyone is amazing, but Matthew Lilliard's performance is pure gold), the goofy and witty humour ("LIVER alone!"), the nice locales used to bring Woodsboro to life, and Wes Craven's flawless direction. With lots of bloody action and numerous scares, Scream is a must-see for fans of the horror genre. Expand
  3. Apr 6, 2016
    Go Ahead and 'Scream'

Go Ahead and 'Scream'

The best fright fest of the ’90s, Wes Craven’s "Scream" playfully tweaks many of the horror/ slasher conventions in place since the arrival of "Halloween" and "Friday the 13th" in the mid-’80s, but it does so with a fiendishly clever, complicated plot that makes it an instant classic, and not simply of the genre. Though it begins and ends with requisite bloody roughness, the film deftly mixes irony, self-reference and wry social commentary with chills and blood spills. And even to a veteran genre fan like myself, the ending was a genuine surprise.

Credit veteran director Craven and a newcomer, scriptwriter Kevin Williamson: Like the teen characters in "Scream," they are intimately familiar with genre conventions but are not slaves to them.

You get a sense of the wild ride ahead from the opening sequence in which a teenager (Drew Barrymore in the Jamie Lee Curtis "Halloween" mold) is tested over the phone -- at first chummily, then suddenly meanly -- by a phantom psycho caller who quizzes her about slasher movies. "If you answer correctly, you live," he warns. She doesn’t and Craven unleashes a living, knife-wielding nightmare who wears black robes and sports an Edvard Munch-"Scream"-like death mask that’s truly unsettling.

This little California town seems to be inhabited mostly by teenagers, including Sidney (Neve Campbell from "Party of Five"). Seems Sidney’s mom had been slashed to death a year ago, and her testimony had sent the killer to death row. Now Sidney’s on the killer’s kill waiting list. Soon after she survives an attack, who should come crawling in her bedroom window but boyfriend Billy Loomis (Skeet Ulrich). Arrested by the police, Billy is simply the first of many suspects, including tabloid TV journalist Gale Weathers (Courtney Cox), Deputy Dewey Reilly (David Arquette), belligerent teen rebel Stuart (Matthew Lillard) and video shop employee Randy (Jamie Kennedy). As always, the line between suspect and victim is membrane thin.

The irony of "Scream" is that all its characters seem conversant with slasher film conventions. "To successfully survive a horror movie, you have to abide by the rules," Randy reminds a group of teens gathered at an isolated farm house for a celluloid slasher fest. "You can never have sex: The minute you do, you’re as good as gone. Sex equals death. Never drink or do drugs: It’s an extension of the first. And never, ever say ‘I’ll be right back . . ..’ "
  4. Dec 26, 2015
    Para mí, una película fundamental del género del terror, marcó un antes y un después, marcó definitivamente la pauta de la mayoría de las películas del subgénero slasher.
  5. Dec 15, 2015
    I am one of the biggest fan of this movie. Wes Craven is truly a master of horror movies. This movie is way better than Halloween (I'm so sorry Jamie Lee Curtis, I still love you though). The plot is simple yet complicated. This movie is a combination of horror and comedy which I thought is impossible but not with this movie. The cast are awesome, they fit with their characters perfectly.I am one of the biggest fan of this movie. Wes Craven is truly a master of horror movies. This movie is way better than Halloween (I'm so sorry Jamie Lee Curtis, I still love you though). The plot is simple yet complicated. This movie is a combination of horror and comedy which I thought is impossible but not with this movie. The cast are awesome, they fit with their characters perfectly. The ghostface costume is brilliant and iconic. Best slasher film of all time. Expand
  6. Oct 30, 2015
    Wes Craven creates the first "anti-slasher" film in Scream. I thought that watching the first Scary Movie first would ruin my enjoyment of Scream but that was not the case. I love the tone of this movie, it really doesn't give off a scary movie vibe. The shots in the film are really fairly optimistic. I love how self aware the film is, constantly referencing the flaws in other slasherWes Craven creates the first "anti-slasher" film in Scream. I thought that watching the first Scary Movie first would ruin my enjoyment of Scream but that was not the case. I love the tone of this movie, it really doesn't give off a scary movie vibe. The shots in the film are really fairly optimistic. I love how self aware the film is, constantly referencing the flaws in other slasher movies and also adding in a few Craven related Easter Egg. Scream is just the definition of a fun horror film that you can watch with your friends at a party. The cast in this movie are far better than most horror films. There were several actors who became Hollywood mainstays after the release of Scream. We care about our cast which seems to be hard to come by in horror and we are left guessing until the very end, with the last 30 minutes being one of the best final acts in horror. Scream gives A Nightmare on Elm Street a run for its money.

Thank you Wes Craven R.I.P
  7. Oct 22, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My favorite horror movie is also my favorite movie of all time. I absolutely love this film to pieces. Everything about it is amazing. The acting, the direction, the true horror, the scares, the suspense, the dialogue, the acting, the music...and the list goes on. Any horror movie fan who dislikes this movie has a problem in my opinion. Neve Campbell, beautiful!!!! Thank you so much Wes and Kevin for giving us a truly amazing horror film that will stay with me forever Expand
  8. Aug 2, 2015
    First of all, the acting is pretty good and the characters are believable even though they are not all believable.The murders were pretty cool and the end was unpredictable.Wes Craven created one hell of a good movie.
  9. Apr 22, 2015
    Horror maestro Wes Craven has always had more to say than his contemporaries and imitators (who have often been one and the same), a fact he proves once again with this homage to/subversion of the slasher films that thrived in the 1980s. Scream concerns the attempts of a group of high-schoolers to avoid a serial killer in their midst. The catch: Both stalker and prey are fully aware of theHorror maestro Wes Craven has always had more to say than his contemporaries and imitators (who have often been one and the same), a fact he proves once again with this homage to/subversion of the slasher films that thrived in the 1980s. Scream concerns the attempts of a group of high-schoolers to avoid a serial killer in their midst. The catch: Both stalker and prey are fully aware of the conventions of the sort of film in which they appear. As in Wes Craven's New Nightmare, the director uses this awareness to comment cleverly on the genre, and unlike that film, which drastically shifted gears in its final act, Scream does not clumsily become the very thing it parodies. But don't be mistaken. Though Scream is a smart send-up, it also remains a finely crafted, tense, scary thriller from start to finish. And for a generation raised on the conventions it explores—titillation and violence are equated, and the fall from sexual purity inevitably means death—it could even be considered important. What was it that made the sight of half-naked women being sliced up so entertaining anyway? Scream would come off as an attempt at redemption for a decade of dark fantasies if it didn't find its source material so amusing. It's to the film's credit that its ironic ambivalence seems more mature than hypocritical. Expand
  10. Apr 9, 2015
    a nice horror with it like that at the begging of the movie the killer said didn't say who is there is a death wish and that about it. it is a good movie.
  11. Mar 11, 2015
    Its original take of mixing old and new, gives this film modern classic status.
    Surprisingly it takes itself serious enough, despite the joke on the bad horror films of the past- which is the main reason for its success. It doesn't copy past Wes Craven or John Carpenter classics, it stands alone.
    Its original take of mixing old and new, gives this film modern classic status.
    With a good mix of tensions and scares, it gives the horror fans something to jump about, but it still has a smart story behind the killer and a good heroine.
    Scream is by far one of the best horror films of the past century that has given us memorable scenes.
  12. Feb 1, 2015
    It's not as scary as other horror masterpieces, but it brings back the slasher films with slick style, genuine thrills and spooks, and an astonishing wit unexpected from such a genre. The acting isn't Oscar worthy, but they carry the story along with the script. It's guilty fun for those who aren't slasher fans, but a joy for the slasher lovers.
  13. Jan 3, 2015
    This is an outstanding film, because it always twists and leaves you wit h something to think about at the end. You never know whats going to happen next in this outstanding horror movie, although it would be nice if the ending was't so cheesy.
  14. Oct 26, 2014
    Scream is one of the greatest slasher flicks ever made. It re-energized horror cinema with it's fun referencing and unexpected twists. The movie's opening and finale also make for truly unforgettable celluloid moments. Awesome stuff!
  15. May 5, 2014
    A horror master Wes Craven gives us scream which takes you on a roller coaster full of horror and gives you a popcorn and soda . Amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzinnnnggggggggggggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. grade A+
  16. Mar 12, 2014
    An amazing horror film by veteran horror film director Wes Craven, I seriously could not get enough of it. It's full of original ideas and classic horror approaches that make this movie one of my top 10 picks.
  17. Jan 10, 2014
    Probably one of the smartest horror films ever written. This film literally redefined horror in the 1990s and brought a whole new era of slasher films. The opening scene with Drew Barrymore is iconic and still one of the scariest to this day.
  18. Oct 2, 2013
    Scream is decent. It's definitely better than the average horror film, but I found it overrated. It possesses some intelligence, such as the script's tendency to point out when something cleche happens, and the deaths aren't completely moronic either. My main problem with the film is how it doesn't really stand out from the crowd when it's not poking fun at the horror movie formula. ItScream is decent. It's definitely better than the average horror film, but I found it overrated. It possesses some intelligence, such as the script's tendency to point out when something cleche happens, and the deaths aren't completely moronic either. My main problem with the film is how it doesn't really stand out from the crowd when it's not poking fun at the horror movie formula. It also goes for too long of stretches of time without utilizing it's witty satire. It may have been the first slasher movie to do this but in my opinion it doesn't have nearly as much bite as The Cabin in the Woods does. I might come to like it more in the future but for now I just find it to be alright. Almost forgot. The reason Scream is so much better than My Soul to Keep has nothing to do with Wes Craven. He didn't write the screenplay for this movie, and I'm starting to think he may be overrated. Expand
  19. Sep 16, 2013
    Scream is one of those horror movie genre films that is perfect for a movie to watch with your friends or at a party on Friday night. It's one of those "Don't go in there" kind of horror flicks that everyone loves.
  20. Aug 7, 2013
    The opening sequence is brilliant... and it's all downhill from there. Yes, there are some good scares and I did enjoy the references to other classic horror films. The ending, however, is horrible and feels like a bad episode of the Three Stooges. It is a huge let down.
  21. Aug 1, 2013
    "Scream" is one of the most innovative slasher films of all time, if not the most. Kevin Williamson created a story so fresh that it literally gave life to an almost dead genre. "Scream" is filled with shocking moments and turned the horror genre on it's head. This film also had a great hot young cast whom all till this day, are remembered for being a part of the most successful slasher"Scream" is one of the most innovative slasher films of all time, if not the most. Kevin Williamson created a story so fresh that it literally gave life to an almost dead genre. "Scream" is filled with shocking moments and turned the horror genre on it's head. This film also had a great hot young cast whom all till this day, are remembered for being a part of the most successful slasher film in history, currently. "Scream" spawned three sequels, two of which were also box-office blockbusters as well. This film is a must see. Expand
  22. Jun 20, 2013
    Scream is a really great movie! It's not really corny like some old horror movies can be, it's got a good plot, it's clever, and an enjoyable watch! If you don't mind a little blood, definitely check this movie out!
  23. May 13, 2013
    As a horror fan I can recognize a supposed classic in the analogs of horror movie history. But I can't get behind this film entirely, and I'm here to tell you why. First of all this film is famous for revolutionizing the horror genre into being watchable again, and while I agree with that, I also despise it for it. First of all I'll just get all the praise I have for it out of the way. OfAs a horror fan I can recognize a supposed classic in the analogs of horror movie history. But I can't get behind this film entirely, and I'm here to tell you why. First of all this film is famous for revolutionizing the horror genre into being watchable again, and while I agree with that, I also despise it for it. First of all I'll just get all the praise I have for it out of the way. Of course I enjoy the idea of making a satire of the horror genre, I believe this was the first time until it became a regular routine now a days. The killer seems real, not being an unstoppable force like most are and adding a tad bit of reality to this film. The opening scene is by far the best scene of the movie, and arguably of any horror movie I can think of. Building up suspense, showing the fear the victim is going through, and the brutality the killer exerts on the innocence. Now that's out of the way, so I can talk about what I don't entirely agree with in this film. I don't like any of the actors in this film, they don't do a well job at trying to give any other emotion, besides the stereotypes they are depicted as. Now the big one, the main reason I don't entirely go head over heels for this film. While it did make horror movies cool to watch again, it also in some regards ruin them as well. In my personal opinion I think now a majority of horror films are forced to be reduced to mocking themselves, and at times this works well, but most of the time it gets really boring. Again, I admit this is a clever a idea and that it's executed okay; with the exception of some not well performances, this is a decent film. Expand
  24. Mar 3, 2013
    It's a horror movie, comedy, drama, and thriller all rolled into one. Very smart and very original. It was really funny seeing the killer get beaten up by everyone he encountered.
  25. Feb 23, 2013
    Horror legend, Wes Craven, wanted to mix a traditional slasher film, with a who done it mystery, while at the same time parading both. The result is Scream, which turned into a much bigger film and franchise than he expected. He wanted to do this sort of under the radar, with a cast of virtual unknowns, but due to its uniqueness, the movie quickly gained popularity and today is consideredHorror legend, Wes Craven, wanted to mix a traditional slasher film, with a who done it mystery, while at the same time parading both. The result is Scream, which turned into a much bigger film and franchise than he expected. He wanted to do this sort of under the radar, with a cast of virtual unknowns, but due to its uniqueness, the movie quickly gained popularity and today is considered one of the best horror movies of all time. The cast are all household names now and the ending of this film is legendary. Twists, turns, paranoia, accusations, one liners, and good looking people is what Scream is all about. The story is a great one, the cast is solid, and when it comes to writer/directors, you can't get much better than Wes Craven. The original Scream is one that should be on your must see list! Expand
  26. Dec 13, 2012
    Scream may very well be the GREATEST HORROR FILM OF ALL TIME! I wholeheartedly believe hat SCREAM is better than HORROR CLASSICS SUCH AS A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, THE SHINING, PSYCHO, and even it's biggest inspiration HALLOWEEN! The acting is phenomenal, and when you have actors/actresses such as, NEVE CAMPBELL, DREW BARRYMORE, SKEET ULRICH, MATHEW LILLARD, and ROSE MCGOWEN, you have aScream may very well be the GREATEST HORROR FILM OF ALL TIME! I wholeheartedly believe hat SCREAM is better than HORROR CLASSICS SUCH AS A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, THE SHINING, PSYCHO, and even it's biggest inspiration HALLOWEEN! The acting is phenomenal, and when you have actors/actresses such as, NEVE CAMPBELL, DREW BARRYMORE, SKEET ULRICH, MATHEW LILLARD, and ROSE MCGOWEN, you have a good movie there. The people who say that this film is just a generic teen slasher flick obviously haven't seen the movie. This movie is so much more and is very high on story, emotion, and once you see this movie, you just can't stop. Its like a vacuum that just keeps sucking you in, there is not one dragging, slow or boring moment in the film for it is truly a masterpiece. Even if there is a moment where the killer isn't there and no action is occurring you're just so entertained by the unbelievable dialogue! Many consider it overrated, but I view it as the complete opposite, this film is overlooked, and misunderstood by many. This is one of those films that you could watch twenty times in a row and still enjoy it, he'll about a year ago I spent about two weeks watching the whole franchise multiple times. This is not a movie that deserves any negative reviews and almost seventeen years after its release SCREAM IS TRULY A CLASSIC! IT IS A PERFECT MOVIE 10/10! You can't go wrong with this film (which by the way is my SECOND FAVORITE FILM OF ALL TIME behind no other than a certain Spielburg classic.) SCREAM IS ABSOLUTE PERFECTION AND THAT IS SOMETHING THAT SHALL NEVER CHANGE! Expand
  27. Nov 14, 2012
    A good horror movie, intriguing and will put you goosebumps.
  28. Nov 10, 2012
    Un thriller-horror adatto principalmente per i giovani che mischia sagaciamente i generi più amati dai ragazzi: horror-commedia in cui i personaggi hanno un discreto spessore. La suspense rimane alta per tutto il film, lo spettatore cerca di capire chi sia l'assassino grazie ai numerosi indizi, che durante il film vengono mostrati. Dose giusta di splatter e suspense riesce a stupireUn thriller-horror adatto principalmente per i giovani che mischia sagaciamente i generi più amati dai ragazzi: horror-commedia in cui i personaggi hanno un discreto spessore. La suspense rimane alta per tutto il film, lo spettatore cerca di capire chi sia l'assassino grazie ai numerosi indizi, che durante il film vengono mostrati. Dose giusta di splatter e suspense riesce a stupire grazie a un apparato scenografico in cui si ricreano perfettamente i luoghi comuni dei giovani nei quali si rispecchieranno. Complimenti a Wes Craven che ha re-inventato il genere dei teen-horror, che era nato grazie a "Halloween" (1978) di Jonh carpenter. Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2012
    Watching this, I realized: "Scream" is one of the smartest horror movies of all time. It may not be as scary as "Halloween", but it's witty dialogue, suspense, and entertaining characters keep the film engaging and fun. One of the most important movies of the '90's.
  30. Sep 18, 2012
    Scream is definitely a good horror movie. But some parts are kinda stupid like the part when Billy comes back to life. But in general, is nice. And the killings are great.
  31. May 31, 2012
    My Favorite Horror Movie Of All Time!
    Even Though The Cast Is Not A+ Neve Campbell, And Rose McGowan Gets The Job Done!
  32. Mar 2, 2012
    An excellent film. The story of Scream is really good, with much scare moments, because is not the tipic slasher film of an assassin that kill all, is a great story. Scream is incredible.
  33. Feb 8, 2012
    One of the freshest horror movies ever made. A scary slasher flick, a satire of the genre, and a high school comedy all wrapped up into one with great young performances from some familiar faces.
  34. Feb 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of my favorite movies! I love all of the horror movies refrences that it makes! The cast is also amazing! It IS a horror movie, but I love the humor in the movie as well. I'm sure not everyone understands the refrences but if you really think about some of the lines that they say, they are hilarious. For example, when "Sydney" is talking about who would play her in a movie, she said, " Thanks Dewey, but with my luck they would cast Tori Spelling..." Which in Scream 2, the movie that they "made" of "her life" was called "Stab" and her character was played by none other than, Tori Spelling... Then when "Principle Himbrey" was looking around the office trying to figure out who was knocking on his door, he startled the janitor...who was in a red and green sweater and he called the janitor, "Fred" as in "Freddy Kruger". Wes Craven directed "A Nightmare on Elm Street.Then "Tatum" tells "Sydney" that everything that is going on is like a Wes Carpenter flick, which is a combination of Wes Craven, the director of "Scream" and John Carpenter the director of "Halloween". I also love the part when Jamie Kennedy who plays "Randy" is watching "Halloween" and telling Jamie Lee Curtis to look behind her because the killer was there, while the killer in "Scream" , "Ghostface", is actually sneaking up behind him, at the same time. Basically, I think everyone should watch this movie because I think it is fantastic!! :) Expand
  35. Dec 23, 2011
    Scream makes you scream, it makes you laugh, and it keeps your eyes on the screen. And it has an amazing beginning scene. I give this movie 80%. Yeah Wes Craven great job.
  36. Dec 15, 2011
    is a horror film that's not fear what is foreign to this type of genre, but instead of a terrifying horror thriller has an excellent, but also has the shooting errors
  37. Nov 20, 2011
    One of the best horror movies of all time. Craven does it again with another horror master piece and he proves yet again why he is the best in the game.
  38. Sep 27, 2011
    I saw this film for the first time on Halloween night right after I finished watching Halloween(original) for the first time. Also I saw Nightmare on Elm Street before I watched this movie as well. This is how this movie is intended to be viewed: after NOES and Halloween. THIS IS KEY PEOPLE!!! you MUST see A Nightmare on Elm Street, Psycho, AND Halloween to get the full effect for thisI saw this film for the first time on Halloween night right after I finished watching Halloween(original) for the first time. Also I saw Nightmare on Elm Street before I watched this movie as well. This is how this movie is intended to be viewed: after NOES and Halloween. THIS IS KEY PEOPLE!!! you MUST see A Nightmare on Elm Street, Psycho, AND Halloween to get the full effect for this one. Friday the 13th and The Silence of the Lambs don't hurt either. If you do not you can never appreciate this movie fully. There are so many little things in this one that you will pick up that make your enjoyment of this film more complete.

All that to say, this film is a very smart and witty comedy/horror film that is as funny as it is suspenseful. you never really know where it is going to go next. I'm not sure what I can say without giving away plot, but I'll do my best. This film is an addition, a parody, and an homage to the Slasher genre. it pulls it off beautifully. it perfects the genre if you will. It...it's very tongue-in-cheek. it is sort of difficult to explain the relationship this film has to the rest of the major slashers. you just have to see it for yourself (READ THE FIRST PARAGRAPH).

One of the major reasons I like this film, is that everyone in this film is HUMAN. In other slasher films, people aren't as human. As characters, you can't relate to them. take Halloween (the first one) for example, Laurie is just a character. you get no backstory from her at all (as far as I remember). she's just a random girl who some killer stalks (keep it in the perspective of the first one). and don't even get me started on her friends. all I can say is: knife fodder. with Scream, all characters are easy to relate to. what I mean is, they are clearly human characters, which brings me to my NEXT point: THE KILLER!!!

The Killer. aaah yes, the killer. Ghostface. let me start of by saying this, in any other slasher film, we'll pick on Friday the 13th this time, it goes like this: Jason could be sitting on the couch flipping channels for 90 minutes doing NOTHING and still make his kill quota for the movie. How? because the characters in his movie are so dumb this is how it would go: Jason would be sitting there and dumb chick #1 would come up to him screaming the "the killer is chasing me" scream. he wouldn't react and so she would take his machete and stab herself still screaming. it would continue like this until Final Girl would bonk him on ht head and he would get up, stretch, and go off to hibernate until the next sequel. It is just that easy for the average slasher film serial killer to kill his victims. you don't believe me? watch some of them. not Ghostface though. ohohoho no not Ghostface. no Ghostface EARNS his kills. I can't tell you what I mean though. you have to see it. this proves though, that under the awesome costume, Ghostface is just an ordinary person with ordinary strengths and skills. It makes the film a lot more believable. none of this "Arnie in his prime hit me over the head with a 100 megaton Hydrogen Bomb that went on to explode sending the sun crashing on me and I picked myself up brushed myself off and went on my way" crap. You get bored of an unkillable killer after a short time.

well, I've written out my confusing rant long enough. I hope you enjoy reading it. this film isn't perfect but I would highly suggest this one. it is certainly my favorite slasher film and it also comes with the bonus feature of a rare (I actually think one of a kind) good sequel. but, I must leave you with one final piece of advice: pay attention to the DIALOGUE. well, yeah. I've ranted long enough. (although if you want, for the people who have seen Scream, I can make a blog about all of the little...well, extra bits of this movie. trivia relations stuff like that. let me know if you want me to). but yeah. it was a great film.
  39. Sep 24, 2011
    The godfather movie of teenage horror movies, directed by Wes Craven. Simply a enjoyable gore thriller accompanied with popcorn and cola.
  40. Sep 5, 2011
    My favorite horror movie is also my favorite movie of all time. I absolutely love this film to pieces. Everything about it is amazing. The acting, the direction, the true horror, the scares, the suspense, the dialogue, the acting, the music...and the list goes on. Any horror movie fan who dislikes this movie has a problem in my opinion. Neve Campbell, beautiful!!!! Thank you so much WesMy favorite horror movie is also my favorite movie of all time. I absolutely love this film to pieces. Everything about it is amazing. The acting, the direction, the true horror, the scares, the suspense, the dialogue, the acting, the music...and the list goes on. Any horror movie fan who dislikes this movie has a problem in my opinion. Neve Campbell, beautiful!!!! Thank you so much Wes and Kevin for giving us a truly amazing horror film that will stay with me forever Expand
  41. Jun 18, 2011
    It may have all been done before but this movie had some originality, the cast were believable and played the movie with just the right balance of comedy and horror. Kudos to Wes Craven for coming up with an original concept in a genre that has seen it all.
  42. Apr 25, 2011
    Wes Craven is the master of the slasher genre. Scream is not only scary, it is also funny, smart, exciting, and suspenseful. Scream may be one of the best horror movies of the modern generation. Sure, some might say that others like Halloween and A Nightmare on Elm Street are better, but this one is smarter and more original. You should see this movie!
  43. Mar 15, 2011
    This movie is simply epic!
  44. Feb 23, 2011
    This Is A Great Movie (One Of The Best Horror Movies Of The 90's) But It Was Scary, But I Think That Wes Craven Could Of Made It Even More Scary!! As A Fan Of Neve Campbell She Did An OK Job, I Expected More From Seeing Other Films & T.V. Shows With Her... But Rose McGowan Was Very Good As Tatum Riley As Well As Matthew Lillird..
    I Do Think The Plot Was So-So But It Is Very Fun To Watch.... :)
  45. Dec 4, 2010
    Funny, scary, and original, Scream can officially be considered one of the best horrors and thrillers. The opening scene is particularly scary, the character of Randy provides the film's intriguing self-awareness, and it is refreshing to see a horror movie which has a killer that can actually be killed.
  46. Nov 14, 2010
    If you are going to survive a horror film there are rules one must abide (1. You can never have sex, (2. You can never drink or do drugs (you will be too out of it to escape the killers rampage), (3. Never under any circumstances say, â
  47. Oct 12, 2010
    One of the best horror movies ever. Interesting plot, good acting and, scary ! Plus, the conversations that make connections to existing horror movies are making the movie even better.
  48. Aug 19, 2010
    Serial killer strikes in town, friends & family of girl targeted, reporter follows story, terror ensues.
    Enjoyable comedy horror which re-invented the genre and spawned a million imitations. The Scream mask is surely now in the top horror icons.
    Great cast (Rose McGowan is stunning), the story isn't altogether new but mainly it's not scared to poke fun of itself whilst keeping the tension.
    Does go a bit silly towards the end but a very watchable & like-able film.
  49. GavinC.
    Jul 26, 2009
    Funny, scary, and original, 'Scream' will not fail to impress.
  50. DaniK
    Feb 6, 2009
    Not bad for a horror flick. Good scares and good kills, along with it's moments of poking fun at the classics.
  51. MarkS.
    Jul 10, 2006
    This really is a great movie, and that surprised the heck out of me. The opening sequence is one of the greatest in movie history. This is one of if not the best slasher-horror movie ever. If you didn't like this movie, I think you're just incapable of appreciating the genre, which is fine in and of itself. But in that context, all these one and 2 reviews are useless.
  52. PatrickD.
    Apr 18, 2006
    Thrilling and lots of fun, but flawed. The characters were so stupid! There is one moment when one of them says what NOT to do in a horror film, and then decides to stay home alone while a killer is on the loose. Another features a girl trying to guess who the man in the costume is. ("Is that you Kevin?") Her guesses are wrong, and she knows because the killer says so. Yet, she decides Thrilling and lots of fun, but flawed. The characters were so stupid! There is one moment when one of them says what NOT to do in a horror film, and then decides to stay home alone while a killer is on the loose. Another features a girl trying to guess who the man in the costume is. ("Is that you Kevin?") Her guesses are wrong, and she knows because the killer says so. Yet, she decides "How about we pretend you are the killer, and I am the victim?" And whenver they hurt the murderer, they don't decide to do something smart such as taking his knife and killing the killer. There are many moments like this in Scream, and we wish that maybe once, they could turn on thier brains. Expand
  53. AndrewS.
    Apr 11, 2006
    Quite simply one of the best horror films. Its funny, scary and awesome. Matthew Lilard is definitely the best character.
  54. GlynnH
    Jul 8, 2005
    This is by far the best movie ever in the slasher genre. In fact, it is pretty close to being the best movie of any genre. There is not one thing wrong with this movie. Even if you are jaded it will scare you more than anything has ever scared you before. I was so scared in the opening that I almost got up and left the theater. I am glad I didn't, but it was that good at what it did.
  55. AndrewM.
    Jul 12, 2004
    Revolutionary in that it revived that good ol' cinematic bogie-man, the slasher film! It's not my favourite genre but, oddly enough, Halloween is one of my favourite films and it's been endlessly crowned the mother of all 'slashers'. Oddly, again, I like Scream for completely different reasons. Whereas Halloween was discreet and stringent and visually creative, Revolutionary in that it revived that good ol' cinematic bogie-man, the slasher film! It's not my favourite genre but, oddly enough, Halloween is one of my favourite films and it's been endlessly crowned the mother of all 'slashers'. Oddly, again, I like Scream for completely different reasons. Whereas Halloween was discreet and stringent and visually creative, Scream is candid and accomodating for the audience, but this doesn't detract from its effect. Actually, it helps it because this time the audience knows what to expect. I'm not sure if it was intended but the humour in the film has a dual purpose: 1) it saves it from an otherwise inevitable cliched deterioration, and 2) it contributes heavily to the atmosphere by being both the antonym and antidote to the periodical slash-attacks unleashed on the viewer. In both ways, it takes Scream to a higher level than it might have otherwise reached. Craven uses these tools well, and there are definitely elements of his other well-known film, A Nightmare On Elm St. Finally, the use of popular, attractive actors makes it easy on the eyes and mind, when not reeling from the visual, tomato-sauce onslaught. It's a very effective recipe, with all the right ingredients, and one very clever chef in the kitchen. Expand
  56. SaerA.
    Mar 25, 2004
    Scream is a very scary movie. It was haunting me for days when I was little.
  57. GilbertMulroneycakesAndHisCat
    Nov 1, 2003
    Ooh, it's post-modern. That'll be a load of smug, pretentious bollocks, then. Like hell it will: the next person to have a go at what in 1996 was the best major scary-suspense film in years, just because it was - gasp - intelligent and thoughtful and didn't patronise the audience, gets a slap round the earhole. Those people can just go and watch the infinite Halloween Ooh, it's post-modern. That'll be a load of smug, pretentious bollocks, then. Like hell it will: the next person to have a go at what in 1996 was the best major scary-suspense film in years, just because it was - gasp - intelligent and thoughtful and didn't patronise the audience, gets a slap round the earhole. Those people can just go and watch the infinite Halloween sequels, if they like dumb slasher movies so much. My old comrade Yoon Min Cho still needs that Daily Mail snatched from him as well. Oh, no, there's blood. For crying out loud, it's a horror movie, Yoon (or is it Cho? Which is the surname and which the first? Not to be rude, I really don't know). What is your problem? If you can give Reservoir Dogs 10, you can find a place in your heart for this. Anyway, Scream is a brilliantly effective slasher movie - it's not really a spoof because it doesn't make a joke of the genre's conventions, merely acknowledges them, then uses them to great effect - greater, perhaps, because they've just been pointed out. Wes Craven's not stupid, he knows scary. He just also knows that the audience knows scary. If you see what I mean. Point is, it's a good, scary thrillerhorror dealie shot through with black horror and a certain self-awareness, which could be dismissed as smug, if it weren't so scary. And if pointing out smugness weren't the smuggest thing anyone can do. Expand
  58. StaceyG.
    Oct 3, 2003
    Scream is the best horror movie ever and it is also my all time fave. You get involved in characters because of the great acting. especially Matthew Lillard, he does a great job. Scream is creative, gripping horrifying and TONS OF FUN! i have seen this 49 times and i still love. it also has a few funny moments and gives the people watching about a hundred quptes to us later. SEE THIS FILM!
  59. YoonC.
    Sep 15, 2003
    Call it postmodern critique of the slasher genre or whatever. It's still ugly and putrid, entertainment based on helpless kids getting gored, slashed, stabbed, etc.
  60. ScottM.
    Jul 25, 2003
    The best teen slasher film ever made.
  61. raVen
    Jul 20, 2003
    It scared me, yes. Even as I watched it in the morning, eating waffles it scared me. It would probably scare me in a house, on a plane, or with a mouse. It might scare me in a car. Might scare me near, might scare me far. It accomplished its goal. Fine. But cutting people open with butcher knives is still not a basis for genius.
  62. RyanM.
    May 28, 2001
    A great horror picture for all fans of horror. With a good build up to the whodunnit twist.
  63. MichaelC.
    Feb 3, 2001
    Scream is easily the best teen horror flick ever made and one of the best horror films of all time. It revived the teen-slice-'em-up genre and did it well. Scream is a classical thriller.

1. Film.com
    Reviewed by: John Hartl
    Doesn't know when to stop with the jokes about other horror movies and settle down to tell a coherent story.
  2. May not be the most scary or the grossest horror film you've ever seen, but it has one distinct feature: it actually talks up to the audience. By the conclusion, you won't be shaking in your seat, but you may enjoy the status of someone who has earned a Master's in Slashology.
  3. Compared with most of what passes for scary movies these days, this is golden: It's not stupid, it's not wussy and it pulls off a couple of pretty nasty jolts.