6.9

1. Jun 26, 2012
    I thought this movie was mediocre in terms of a love story, and sub-mediocre in terms of entertainment. I could see the ending result from a mile away, but I assumed the entire premise of the movie was metaphorical. Instead, it was just like how it appeared to be. When the movie finished, my first thought was "Well, that was depressing". There were a few parts that made me chuckle, but this movie is very far from being a comedy. In hindsight, I'd leave it until it comes out on DVD or is available for streaming. Expand
  2. Jun 28, 2012
    A meteor is hurtling toward Earth and there are only days left until it hits. A sadsack Steve Carell meets Keira Knightly and they embark on one last road trip. Although there are a few laughs near the beginning, this is NOT a comedy. It's a rather stupid romance that ignores Carell's comic gifts in favor of a bland dramatic role. Meanwhile, Knightly overdoes her efforts at cuteness. Diehard (pun intended) romance fans might find this sweet, but everybody else will be disappointed. Expand
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    A movie that tries to be a comedy and is the farthest thing from it. A movie that tries to be serious but comes across as corny. A movie that tries to be emotional but is completely empty. A movie that's is flat out bad all around.
  4. Dec 31, 2012
    Watching this film I could only think of how I wished the Mayans were right about their prediction about the end of the world on the 21st December, a mere few days before I decided to watch this...
  5. Jul 4, 2012
    Despite the sense of urgency the end of the world might bring to a story, this film slows almost to a screeching halt by the last third. Unfortunately, two talented stars were misused and mismatched for a story that started out promising in its strangeness (showing what the end of the world brings out in people) but turns into an okay romance that uses every plot cliche possible to hammer in the point that it's never too late to find someone who moves you. It's not a BAD movie, just a terribly uneven one. Great structural gimmicks were created and then thrown away, marvelous supporting characters and plots were introduced and then discarded meaninglessly. What seems to be an attempt at anarchical storytelling (which could have worked amazingly considering the theme) instead just became a sloppy soap opera intent on being emotionally satisfying rather than thought-provoking or challenging. Expand
  6. Oct 28, 2012
    Great idea, cast, story and Steve Carell is an amazing actor! Yet, the whole movie did NOT work. It was slow, boring and not funny. The movie had alot of potential, yet it didnt go anywhere. a very big disappointment for me.
  7. Jul 2, 2012
    Potentially charming and hilarious premise that was poorly executed, chock full of boring acting, obvious writing and zero chemistry between the two romantic leads. I do not understand why Keira Knightley gets work - she is an unconvincing and heavy handed actress. The films saving grace was its comic relief - some truly hilarious moments managed to shine through the blah.

1. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jun 25, 2012
    As Seeking a Friend for the End of the World crawls toward its sentimental finale, you're rooting for that asteroid to get here, quick.
    The whole movie is a good try.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Jun 22, 2012
    If the world were really coming to an end, we'd spend it with Knightley and tell her tag-along friend that there's not enough food for a 50-year-old virgin.