Self Medicated

8.1

1. WillD.
    Sep 5, 2007
    first movie I've walked out of before the final credits rolled in a really long time. I'm not giving this movie a Zero because i give every movie a Zero or a Ten, I'm giving it a Zero because it is one of the top-five worst movies I've ever scene. you actually feel personally insulted sitting there listening to all its cliches. it's like a two-hour PSA created by first movie I've walked out of before the final credits rolled in a really long time. I'm not giving this movie a Zero because i give every movie a Zero or a Ten, I'm giving it a Zero because it is one of the top-five worst movies I've ever scene. you actually feel personally insulted sitting there listening to all its cliches. it's like a two-hour PSA created by the Office of National Drug Control Policy. it's like a made-for-TV melodrama that was rejected by Lifetime for being too sentimental. a small handful of tired, overwrought ideas that have been presented a million times before, just not this unappealingly. plus! the penultimate scene contains a homeless-yet-noble black man to deliver the film's "message." great! Expand

1. There's a palpable element of honesty in Lapica's writing and lead performance that gives this indie production, the edge over other troubled teen dramas.
  2. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Searing portrait of an out-of-control youth who winds up in a decidedly shady rehab center has more than its share of teen-angst cliches but still makes a surprisingly trenchant tearjerker, thanks to strong acting from all quarters and an especially blistering perf from Lapica.
  3. Reviewed by: Scott Foundas
    Self-Medicated reveals itself as a narcissistic fantasy about the misunderstood kid with a heart of gold who finally figures out how to get his shit together: "Good Will Hunting" with a side of Capracorn.