Seven Psychopaths

6.7

1. Oct 17, 2012
    I don't know what movie these other people giving it negative reviews are seeing, but i saw Seven Pschopaths and it was fregen great! Amazing cast, amazing dialogue, amazing plot, amazing exectution. Need i say more? This movie made me laugh harder than any film i've seen in a long time. Woody Harrelson is just the greatest, as well as Christopher Walken. I don't even have to say more, ifI don't know what movie these other people giving it negative reviews are seeing, but i saw Seven Pschopaths and it was fregen great! Amazing cast, amazing dialogue, amazing plot, amazing exectution. Need i say more? This movie made me laugh harder than any film i've seen in a long time. Woody Harrelson is just the greatest, as well as Christopher Walken. I don't even have to say more, if you love violent comedies then you'll love Seven Psychopaths, enough said. This is a must see. 10/10 Expand
  2. Oct 12, 2012
    What an unexpected treat! Very unconventional, off-beat, hilarious. The performances are top notch and just fun to watch. (Christopher Walken is the man! And Sam Rockwell just kills it in this movie.) Actually, it's my favorite movie of the year so far.
  3. Oct 20, 2012
    Having seen and loved "In Bruges" Seven Psychopaths was one of my most anticipated movies. I'm happy to say its everything I had hoped for and more. From the opening, this movie kicks off with a great start having a very Tarantino style beginning. With such an original and great screenplay you can't go wrong. We than get introduce to our seven psychopaths. The performances are great,Having seen and loved "In Bruges" Seven Psychopaths was one of my most anticipated movies. I'm happy to say its everything I had hoped for and more. From the opening, this movie kicks off with a great start having a very Tarantino style beginning. With such an original and great screenplay you can't go wrong. We than get introduce to our seven psychopaths. The performances are great, Colin Farrell should stick to these small roles, more specifically comedic roles, before I saw In Bruges I disliked him as an actor none of his movies appealed to me. He works so well as the lead protagonist in this role. This is probably one of , if not the best Sam Rockwell performances. He has played this crazy character before but its more effective in this particular role. He is unpredictable, the funniest and the best psychopath of them all with out a doubt the star of this movie. Christopher Walken is at his best. If you just enjoy him in any role, you will love him in this. He plays the calm and wise religious man but very hysterical at times another scene stealing performance. Woody Harrelson is the enraged mob boss who will literally stop at nothing until he gets his little Sh-ih Tzu back. Tom Waits plays probably the most psychotic of them all. Everyone works fantastically well in this movie. I have not a single bad thing to say about them. The woman in the cast though, are basically eye candy. Martin McDonagh is one of the best up an coming Writer/Director. If he keeps this up one day he may be considered among the best script writers of our time. This movie does have elements of Pulp Fiction where everyone is just having random conversations that sometimes end up with people dying horrifically. Yes, there are multitudes of gore involved in the death scenes. Everything is so unpredictable with plenty of laughs and flawlessly made from both behind and in front of the camera. Seven Psychopaths is another "best of the year" and the funniest film I've seen so far in the year. Expand
  4. Oct 14, 2012
    Great movie in every way. Charlie Kaufman meets Terintino. It is a great combination of clever plot lines, great characters, and cartoon violence to keep you laughing on the edge if your seat.
  5. Feb 8, 2013
    This was a sublimely clever, seriously funny movie. It manages to poke fun at violent movies, racism, sexism, religion, love, pet ownership, and more!! At the end, just when it makes you wonder whether it means to be philosophical or profound, it makes fun of the viewer for expecting a neatly wrapped-up ending. Keep watching as the credits roll! However, if you have a short attentionThis was a sublimely clever, seriously funny movie. It manages to poke fun at violent movies, racism, sexism, religion, love, pet ownership, and more!! At the end, just when it makes you wonder whether it means to be philosophical or profound, it makes fun of the viewer for expecting a neatly wrapped-up ending. Keep watching as the credits roll! However, if you have a short attention span or dislike black humor, you will hate this film. Expand
  6. May 8, 2014
    The BEST move my eyes could ever see.LOVE IT => the acting of the characters was just OUTSTANDING.....LOVE THIS MOVIE SOO MUCH !!!.this could be an great story for an MafiaIII Game :)
  7. May 21, 2014
    I watched this movie 4 times. It's great. It's one of my favourite videos. I was very happy after it, because i've never seen something like this, something good and funny at once. I LOVE IT!
  8. Oct 20, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths had a clever premise, and then weaved a story within a story that was a lot of fun. Great cast, fun premise, and while gory, the gore is done in a comedic way, so it does not gross one out.
  9. Mar 21, 2013
    IGNORE BAD REVIEWS! Yes there's no doubt any movie loving person has high hopes for this film pre watching but it delivers in a striking fashion. Whether it's laughs or sick revolting violence you crave SP delivers at every turn. The plot may be riddled with certain cliches but never the less the story hooks you and evokes every passion from the viewer from painful laughs to shocks thatIGNORE BAD REVIEWS! Yes there's no doubt any movie loving person has high hopes for this film pre watching but it delivers in a striking fashion. Whether it's laughs or sick revolting violence you crave SP delivers at every turn. The plot may be riddled with certain cliches but never the less the story hooks you and evokes every passion from the viewer from painful laughs to shocks that result in goosebumps to holding in tears. Every character's profile is revealed in a fascinating fashion and in fact (while not going crazy) the plot and humor is similar to The Big Lebowski!!! Expand
  10. Feb 14, 2013
    This movie was unlike any movie that fit into this genre I've seen before. Didn't really have any idea what happens next. Colin Farrell was brilliant. Walken will never get old. Another excellent job from Rockwell as well! Also good to see Harrelson back in front of the camera again. Of course, let's not forget about Tom Waits, you could put him in a movie with a piece of and he wouldThis movie was unlike any movie that fit into this genre I've seen before. Didn't really have any idea what happens next. Colin Farrell was brilliant. Walken will never get old. Another excellent job from Rockwell as well! Also good to see Harrelson back in front of the camera again. Of course, let's not forget about Tom Waits, you could put him in a movie with a piece of and he would turn it into acting gold! Expand
  11. Nov 1, 2013
    Inspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell), while the rest is true to the main plot of the film, the title comes from the screenplay that screenwriter Marty is struggling to write,Inspiration needs to come from somewhere, this is the sort of film that we know witty yet simple in many forms, with ‘Seven Psychopaths’, we have a film within a film, sort of. A lot of it is through the vivid imagination of Marty Faranan (Colin Farrell), while the rest is true to the main plot of the film, the title comes from the screenplay that screenwriter Marty is struggling to write, he has the title at the top of the page, the same as the real film, but not much else. He ends up getting quite a bit more than he bargained for when is loose cannon of a friend, Billy (Sam Rockwell), decides to put an ad in the paper reaching out for actual psychopaths, its dry and believable approach can only come from the man behind ‘In Bruges’ and ‘The Guard’, Martin McDonagh makes films that are soaked in their own awareness and deep characters. We immediately see this in the opening scene involving two hit men clearly waiting on their target, oblivious to the man in a red mask approaching them from behind, and in turn execute them, moments like this sum up the layers of surprise and edginess of the film, yet also not taking itself seriously. In the midst of Marty writing about psychopaths, or trying to, there is a serial killer on the streets of Los Angeles, the same man we meet at the beginning, his calling card being the Jack of Diamonds, he seems like a vigilante. Billy, meanwhile, spends his days kidnapping the dogs of rich people and collecting the reward with the help of Hans (Christopher Walken). He has his own past and own problems with his wife recovering from cancer, but caught in the middle of the wrong dog to kidnap, the one of gangster Charlie Costello (Woody Harrelson). We are introduced to each psychopath as their stories are revealed, the stories being played out as imaginary or as flashbacks, many being subtle bows to previous Hollywood films that employ the same scenarios, some of the quips seem to poke fun at themselves, but it also brings out quite an interesting and even heartwarming story, Walken in particular bringing a subtle yet effective tone to his role, some of this seems improvised, which is definitely a good thing.
    The scenes with the three leads of Farrell, Rockwell and Walken, seamlessly combine silliness with brilliance as they attempt to come up with the ending for the film, but each time the film seems to go one way, it definitely can go other to surprise us, it has comedy, cruelty and camaraderie rolled into one well scripted package, which makes for a film that has the brass and talent to back itself up.
  12. Jun 28, 2013
    Great, GREAT movie. What good pop culture should be. It's accessible to the masses but presents an interesting discussion about our existential journeys as people, good in the face of evil, obsessive love, and, above all, fate. The cast is incredible, the dialogue is great and at times hilarious. It was definitely far more than I expected. Everything about it was strong but the pacingGreat, GREAT movie. What good pop culture should be. It's accessible to the masses but presents an interesting discussion about our existential journeys as people, good in the face of evil, obsessive love, and, above all, fate. The cast is incredible, the dialogue is great and at times hilarious. It was definitely far more than I expected. Everything about it was strong but the pacing faltered once or twice. A negligible criticism to an otherwise stellar production. Expand
  13. Jan 11, 2013
    Seven psychopaths is one of the best comedies in 2012. This film is truly awesome! It´s brutal, violent, filled with blood and also hilarious. The opening scene (with Michael Pitt and Michael Stuhlbarg) is fantastic, it is very tarantinesc and already sets the tone for the film. The sequence about the journey of Tom Waits´s character and his wife is also brilliant! The actingSeven psychopaths is one of the best comedies in 2012. This film is truly awesome! It´s brutal, violent, filled with blood and also hilarious. The opening scene (with Michael Pitt and Michael Stuhlbarg) is fantastic, it is very tarantinesc and already sets the tone for the film. The sequence about the journey of Tom Waits´s character and his wife is also brilliant! The acting in this movie is great, Sam Rockwell was very funny and the only scene starring Gabourey Sidibe is amazing. The script is one of the most original and funny things in 2012. Seven Psychopaths is a truly entertaining and smart film. Expand
  14. Nov 5, 2012
    What a crazy fun ride Martin McDonaugh's Seven Psychopaths is. The originality and creativity of it put a smile on my face that never left for 110 minutes.
  15. Nov 26, 2012
    I got a kick out of this movie! Very well-scripted, and I never could guess what was going to happen next. This movie left me with a deep sense of satisfaction, plot points that opened in the beginning found the perfect closure in the movie's climax. Martin McDonagh's generous gift to movie audiences this fall, sealed together with a pretty bow.
  16. Dec 1, 2012
    I think this movie will be one of my guiltly pleasures from now on. It's suble dark comedy can reach almost any audience member, unless they have no sense of humor. The characters are well developed in their own unique way. This movie really comes together at the end and gives us a look into the unexpected Hollywood format. Altogether this movie is a fun viewing!
  17. Jan 21, 2013
    Storyline: Marty (Colin Farrell) is a writer and is trying to get more idea's for a screenplay he's writing called Seven Psychopaths. His best buddy Billy (Sam Rockwell) has been giving him some great material but he has gotten everyone into some heavy duty bother with a villain called Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Billy and his friend Hans (Christopher Walken) who kidnap dogs to claim theStoryline: Marty (Colin Farrell) is a writer and is trying to get more idea's for a screenplay he's writing called Seven Psychopaths. His best buddy Billy (Sam Rockwell) has been giving him some great material but he has gotten everyone into some heavy duty bother with a villain called Charlie (Woody Harrelson). Billy and his friend Hans (Christopher Walken) who kidnap dogs to claim the reward end up with Charlie's dog, and Charlie really loves this dog, so now they are in serious trouble. There are a superb bunch of characters in this movie that keep us very interested throughout.

Acting: I'm not really a Sam Rockwell fan but I've always loved his performance in 'The Green Mile' and in this he is awsome at playing the complex Billy. He is actually better in this than Bradley Cooper is in 'Silver Linings Playbook' but Bradley gets the Oscar nod. Colin Farrell was really good and played his scenes with a very similar delivery as with 'In Bruges' but this is not a bad thing because it is a Martin McDonagh film. Woody Harrelson and Christopher Walken were also good but they never had to do anything out of the ordinary so while they were great we have seen them do this stuff before. The 4 woman in this, Abbie Cornish, Gabourey Sidibe, Helena Mattsson and Olga Kurylenko are all good actors and I've seen a lot of thier work so even though they aren't on screen much when they are you won't forget it. It was a nice touch using well known actors in small roles especially Michael Stuhlbarg and Michael Pitt at the start of the movie.

Direction: Martin McDonagh wrote and directed this with his wicked sense of humour which I think is amazing. I enjoy his style and hope he never strays too far from it. He's had 2 out of 2 so far. Production: Martin McDonagh made this for $15 million which is the same money as 'In Bruges' but an even better cast. This was a sleek operation with decent special fx and make-up, sets, music and the script was the best thing in the movie. It was snappy, funny and inteligent. 15 mil for this cast and a killer of a script is pretty awsome if you ask me. Conclusion: This film was not perfect but I loved it can't wait for Martin McDonagh to bring out a new one. A funny and violent flik with the cast all using thier own accents (which helped).

Score: 8.5/10
  18. Jan 31, 2013
    An unexpected delight! Loved the writing and the performances are top notch! Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell are standouts, Ends up being one of my favorite films of 2012!
  19. Jun 4, 2014
    Seven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself and self-references other scenes in the movie is pure genius. The whole movie is one big ironic piece of cinema that has Christopher Walken, one of the many thingsSeven Psychopaths is an excellent non-linear film that has some great talent, and tries its hardest not to waste them: it succeeds. It's fun and entertaining, but not for those who are easily offended. The way it mocks itself and self-references other scenes in the movie is pure genius. The whole movie is one big ironic piece of cinema that has Christopher Walken, one of the many things this movie got right. Expand
  20. chw
    Jul 19, 2014
    Seven Psychopaths was pretty good. Woody Harrelson, Christopher Walken, Colin Farrell, and Sam Rockwell all acted well in this. And I'm surprised of Colin's accent in the film too, because I've never heard him use his normal Irish accent.
  21. Oct 15, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is one of the most interesting and funny movies of this year. The development of the movie is really smart, all the movie have funny scenes. The performances of the cast, wow are awesome. The screenplay is interesting. Seven Psychopaths is one of the most funny movies of this year.
  22. Oct 25, 2012
    The title refers to the cast of the characters and to the title of the film script one of them is writing. Therein lies the key to enjoying the film. The characters belong in a tough realistic crime film, but they behave like intellectuals discussing the probabilities and logic of fiction. Hence, the dialogue is a constant counterpoint between the expected cliches of gangster flicks andThe title refers to the cast of the characters and to the title of the film script one of them is writing. Therein lies the key to enjoying the film. The characters belong in a tough realistic crime film, but they behave like intellectuals discussing the probabilities and logic of fiction. Hence, the dialogue is a constant counterpoint between the expected cliches of gangster flicks and the arguments of a poststructuralist. If you think there are humorous possibilities in this, you'll like the film. If not, not. I liked it a lot (all the actors are in the know and in the vein), but it is a bit too long. Imagine Woody Allen remaking The Asphalt Jungle, and you've got it. Expand
  23. Dec 21, 2013
    Very funny and also very violent. If you like dark humor then you will like this film. The entire cast is perfect and it was very original. It wasn't perfect but all and all it was a good film.
  24. Nov 3, 2013
    This is a black/criminal comedy, pretty bloody I must say. It includes a whole bunch of awesome actors. The story is interesting and original. There are several characters with their own stories and they merge into one plot, I won't spoil any of them. Overall, this one is advised to everyone who likes really good movies.
  25. Apr 5, 2013
    A smarter movie than many would give it credit. The second half got even better. Felt surreal and non serious at times though, so I was at a loss about whether to take it seriously or not. The ending, which I won't spoil here, got under my skin. The acting was quite sufficient. Rockwell should have gotten some recognition for his portrayal of Billy. The movie should have been nominated forA smarter movie than many would give it credit. The second half got even better. Felt surreal and non serious at times though, so I was at a loss about whether to take it seriously or not. The ending, which I won't spoil here, got under my skin. The acting was quite sufficient. Rockwell should have gotten some recognition for his portrayal of Billy. The movie should have been nominated for Original Screenplay at least. Expand
  26. Nov 21, 2013
    Surprisingly good. Very intriguing and interesting premise and plot. So meta! Definitely a little strange at times. The acting is superb along with the dialogue. Funny, off-beat, and at times violent, this was more entertaining than I thought it would be.
  27. Jan 7, 2013
    This picture is nothing i have watched before. This movie entertains on many levels. It asks the question about whats normal and whats not. Who are the normal people who say this man is a psychopath and this man is not? Why does the audience like movies about psychopaths at all? Do we really think they are more interesting than the people we see on the street? Are we so thirsty to seeThis picture is nothing i have watched before. This movie entertains on many levels. It asks the question about whats normal and whats not. Who are the normal people who say this man is a psychopath and this man is not? Why does the audience like movies about psychopaths at all? Do we really think they are more interesting than the people we see on the street? Are we so thirsty to see violence? Is our life so boring, that we have to see people being brutally killed? This movie shows the psychopath in your self. Expand
  28. Jan 1, 2014
    From the same director as the cult black comedy In Bruges, a masterclass in comedy film making, comes this complex dark thriller Seven Psychopaths.
    Colin Farrell is playing himself an alcoholic and slightly paranoid Irishman, the only difference between Marty and Ray from In Bruges is that he doesn't say a lot. An ensemble cast including Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell and Olga Kurylenko joins him and in in short hilarity ensues. From the reason they are hunting each other down to minor details like when a gun won't fire, everything is some kind of joke even if some attempts at humor are a bit hit and miss. Unlike the vastly superior In Bruges this appeals to a wide audience because of how slick and cool the backstories behind each psychopath are, specifically The Quaker who is one of the coolest movie characters ever. However just because most of the characters are killers does not mean you feel nothing for them, sure it's not like In Bruges where you are almost in tears for a child murdering hit man, but you definitely care for them which is not an easy thing to do. Some people have claimed that it mistakes violence for humor and isn't witty at all, but I argue that that never stopped Oscar winners like Tarantino and Scorsese.
    A hugely enjoyable bleak (not black) comedy full of laughs, shootouts and strangely likable characters. It's not even in the same league as In Bruges but I loved it.
  29. Mar 10, 2013
    This film was cool. Sam Rockwell is the stand out performance, but Farrell, Harrelson, and Walken give good performances as well. Martin McDonagh shows that In Bruges wasn't a fluke.

1. Reviewed by: Kim Newman
    Dec 3, 2012
    Enormously entertaining, endlessly quotable, perfectly cast and packed full of the richest acting you'll see from an ensemble cast all year, but the result is ever so slightly hollow.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Glasby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Engagingly off-centre, like Charlie Kaufman taking down Quentin Tarantino, this sunbaked shaggy-dog story is a place-holder film for McDonagh, and often closer to chaos than it is to genius.
  3. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Oct 19, 2012
    Seven Psychopaths is the kind of movie that can lift someone who's had a crappy day out of a funk. It's an unstable mess filled with lunatic invention and bizarre nonsense, and some of it is so spontaneous that it's elating. [22 Oct. 2012, p.88]