4.6

1. Oct 15, 2010
    Flawed but interesting. Had some issues with it, not quite as many as the rest of the people here it seems. While I too was not a huge fan of the real chicken killing or human defecation, I thought it was effective in evoking a feeling of being stranded long ago. I dont think the lo-fi camera or 70's editing was unintentional and I thought they served the story. the whole thing messed with genre and time period well and threw the viewer off in an interesting way. I even sort of dug the bad overdubbing (I dont think the actors were saying what actual voice recording was.) some of the camera work was nauseating, and I dont know if i could have watched it on the big screen. I give it big props for doing something new and interesting. I doubt anyone can say they have seen something like this. Was glad to not watch another indie flick with a quirky girl and a depressed guy or a sorta funny mobster and his spoiled daughter or something. Definitely polarizing, so be warned. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Peter Debruge
    "Pathfinder" meets "Gerry" in Severed Ways: The Norse Discovery of America, a striking and virtually wordless story of two Vikings separated from their tribe and left to stumble through the North American wilderness.
  2. Reviewed by: Nicolas Rapold
    The spectacle of two dudes mucking about in the primal forest becomes tedious.
  3. Though there's no doubt that Mr. Stone is as serious as a heart attack when it comes to creating an air of authenticity -- hence the sloppily butchered chickens and authorial defecation -- he never settles on a coherent tone for the movie.