5.8

1. Todd
    Jul 8, 2007
    It isn't Pixar. It is Dreamworks. Pixar couldn't produce such crap even if they tried.
  2. KeeferL.
    Oct 3, 2004
    If Keith Richards persona was the inspiration for Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Carribean, Jack Black's inspiration for Lenny in Shark Tales was Charles Nelson Reilly. This movie barely held the attention of three boys between seven and eight, and given the commotion in the theatre, no one seemed terribly entertained.
  3. BernardC.
    Oct 4, 2004
    Like wow! So frickin cheap!This movie was a rip off of finding nemo. I think this movie made their company lose tons of money. This was like a ghetto version of finding nemo,lmao. I gave it a 2 because I actually wasted my time and money to see it. My little baby cousin even said this movie sucked.
  4. Jared
    Oct 1, 2004
    One would think that the years that it takes to make these computer animated movies would act as somewhat of a natural quality control device. Meaning, if you are involved with this type of labor intensive film and were willing to put in the 3 - 5 years it takes to make it, then you would think you'd naturally have a quality product. The same goes for a movie, such as this, that has One would think that the years that it takes to make these computer animated movies would act as somewhat of a natural quality control device. Meaning, if you are involved with this type of labor intensive film and were willing to put in the 3 - 5 years it takes to make it, then you would think you'd naturally have a quality product. The same goes for a movie, such as this, that has a cast of enormously sucessful individuals involved. Neither is the case for Shark Tale. I strongly urge people excited to see this film (as I was) to preempt disapointment and wait to see it on video (if then). This movie considered the stereotypes it poked fun at as it's best 'jokes', and was utterly lacking quality plot themes. Attention Dreamworks: Pixar has STORIES. Expand
  5. Sep 3, 2012
    Everybody who is hating on this movie are just stuck up. It was very funny and entertaining. All the characters were great, and it was quite creative how they built a world under the sea.
  6. Oct 9, 2011
    Despite a ensemble 'voice' cast, "Shark Tale" is a normal Dream works animation with the obvious hero path formula intended to scrap money out of the audience.
  7. PayamM.
    Oct 1, 2004
    I WANT 90 MINUTES OF MY LIFE BACK. This movie was trying way to hard to be funny. It seems like every single scene was forced into a joke or some pop culture movie/product placement was presented. I mean come on, it is getting to the point that a flashy CGI movie needs to be better if it is going to make any impact like PIXAR's Finding Nemo. Save your $8 and go see the Incredibles. I WANT 90 MINUTES OF MY LIFE BACK. This movie was trying way to hard to be funny. It seems like every single scene was forced into a joke or some pop culture movie/product placement was presented. I mean come on, it is getting to the point that a flashy CGI movie needs to be better if it is going to make any impact like PIXAR's Finding Nemo. Save your $8 and go see the Incredibles. Shame on Dreamworks for passing this trash after such a lovable sequel to Shrek. Will Smith is getting way overated. He is acting the same character in every movie. Cliche, cliche, cliche. Btw Dreamworks, if you read this, your fish look way creepy in the vertical position. Stick to keeping fish as fish and not "personify" them so much. Geez Expand
  8. Nov 18, 2011
    Whatever Shark Tale has done, Finding Nemo does an awful lot better. The story is lame and the adult humor will not make sense to most who see this. I didn't like the visuals, which make it even worse. It is hard to stomach.
  9. alec
    Nov 28, 2004
    THEY'VE DONE IT AGAIN!!!!! The "Shrek" creators made another animated classic.
  10. patrickd.
    Oct 22, 2005
    The most un-original of all Pixar films. To much refenences to pop-culture.
  11. MarcusM
    Feb 7, 2005
    Not the BEST anime i've seen (Incredables easily tops this), but it was worth a watch. Some of the jokes where cheesy but overall it was a good movie with great animation and lovable characters. You dont have to BUY It, but its worth renting.
  12. ElliottW
    Dec 1, 2008
    A mediocre film. All of it seems very uninspired and boring. Dreamworks got it right with Shrek and Madasgcar, but they failed here.
  13. ChadS.
    Oct 4, 2004
    In "Taxi Driver", Martin Scorsese plays a cuckolded husband who tells Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro, of course) his wife is having an affair with a "n-----". As a puffer fish, it's interesting to see Scorsese interact with the black folks, even if they've taken the form of Rastafarian jellyfish. His attempt to hug them and subsequent electrocution intrigued me. "Shark Tale" is no In "Taxi Driver", Martin Scorsese plays a cuckolded husband who tells Travis Bickle (Robert DeNiro, of course) his wife is having an affair with a "n-----". As a puffer fish, it's interesting to see Scorsese interact with the black folks, even if they've taken the form of Rastafarian jellyfish. His attempt to hug them and subsequent electrocution intrigued me. "Shark Tale" is no "Finding Nemo", heck, it's no "Watership Down", but the presentation of a world where Italians and Blacks can learn to co-exist is a pretty cool utopian construct. Collapse
  14. judyt.
    Feb 13, 2005
    Not funny at all. Animation only average.
  15. MichaelA.
    Feb 14, 2005
    Tedious and simple. Will Smith will forever suck.
  16. ScottM.
    Feb 2, 2005
    The story is mainly about 'oscar' in a not so glamorous job. People working as cleaning crew, construction workers, factory employees provide essential services that the rest of us take for granted but a rather sad sect of individuals even disregard the service as minions without value. Just take a look around and see how disrespectful and rude some people can be towards the The story is mainly about 'oscar' in a not so glamorous job. People working as cleaning crew, construction workers, factory employees provide essential services that the rest of us take for granted but a rather sad sect of individuals even disregard the service as minions without value. Just take a look around and see how disrespectful and rude some people can be towards the hired people. The film pointed out this 'section' ans as expected the critics lambasted the film. If the storyline was different then you would hear countless praises. People generally want to avoid the 'hired people' or turn a blind eye towards them. In general the film not only had outstanding animation but an important storyline. It had an excellent cast and plenty of humour. Many people were asking is it better than 'Finding Nemo' yes it is! Expand
  17. JonP.
    Mar 28, 2005
    Very disappointing! I turned it off half way through. Jokes were stale, and storyline was weak. They studio crapped this out quickly to ride on the coat tails of Finding Nemo.
  18. Philip
    Oct 1, 2004
    The only original (and funny) scene in the movie comes during the opeing flight through the reef city and lasts about 2 seconds. Let's just say that I would have liked to have seen most of the main characters at 'that' restaurant. After that it's all downhill. With brainless stereotypes and old tired jokes it's no wonder that not one person in the theatre I saw it The only original (and funny) scene in the movie comes during the opeing flight through the reef city and lasts about 2 seconds. Let's just say that I would have liked to have seen most of the main characters at 'that' restaurant. After that it's all downhill. With brainless stereotypes and old tired jokes it's no wonder that not one person in the theatre I saw it in complained when someone answered their cellphone (I assume it was on vibrate since I didn't hear a ring) during the movie and proceeded to have a 2 minute long conversation. Expand
  19. OscardelaS.
    Oct 12, 2004
    People are confused these days. They go the see "Shark" and expect to see "Nemo". I think it is all about managing expectations. Shark is not swimming into virgin waters but it not ridiculous either like Cat woman. All in all, decent entertainment. The godfather goes deep underwater!. Please next you go and see a movie, check you are in the right theater.
  20. ZackO.
    Nov 3, 2004
    This was a horrible boring movie with a horrendous script and bad jokes.
  21. RachelB.
    Oct 2, 2004
    This movie is so full of racist, sexist and materialist lowest common denominator values, it is sickening. The pretense of placing cliche' modern adult themes under water and sleezily packaging it for children, feels contrived and insulting to majority of it's audience. I agree that almost every aspect felt claculated for full capital potential, and the racist image of Will This movie is so full of racist, sexist and materialist lowest common denominator values, it is sickening. The pretense of placing cliche' modern adult themes under water and sleezily packaging it for children, feels contrived and insulting to majority of it's audience. I agree that almost every aspect felt claculated for full capital potential, and the racist image of Will Smith as a hustling poor black, the polarized depiction of the female characters as good-girl-next-store vs bad manipulative whore and the beat you over the head array of modern media references from Times square to Coke, to the Gap make one feel more manipulated than entertained. My only wish is that all the time money and energy spent on creating beautifully animated scenes will be better spent in the future by using story telling from the heart that will engage and inspire children and adults, instead of feeding it's audience the equivilent of Captain Crunch. Expand
  22. BobT.
    Oct 27, 2004
    Entertainig and fun.
  23. MickyD
    Sep 28, 2004
    Was a fairly average attempt, little to overboard or something. Can't quite put the finger on it. The first half and hour doesn't seem to grab the audience. After that it gets better. Worth a watch though, just don't suspect to be blown away.
  24. Ryan
    Sep 29, 2004
    Shameless rip-off of Finding Nemo and not nearly as well done or heartfelt. Save your money.
  25. bobe.
    Jan 21, 2005
    Pros: Nicely appointed cast, excelent visuals, how charasters in movie kind of look like the person who is doing his/her voice Cons: Children probably will not know whats going on, Oscar deserves what is going on to him, could have been funnier, screenplay not developed enough Overview: Not worth watching in theatres, just borrow it from a friend or something; dont pay to watch it!
  26. KevinE.
    Jan 20, 2005
    If I hadn't seen it on a plane, I never would have, and that would have been okay. Not an ounce of charm, wit or imagination. I think the animators forgot it was supposed to be an undersea world, or just didn't care. There could have been SO many more clever moments dealing with, if nothing else, being under water! Feed this chum only to your dullest children.
  27. MorganC.
    Feb 17, 2005
    It was very funny. I liked this movie a lot I wouldn't recommend it over Finding Nemo. But I thought it was a good choice to bring all these good artists or actors together and be the voices of these characters. Some of the voices were Angelina Jolie, Jack Black, Renee' Zelweeger, and of course the hilarious Will Smith. It was a great movie. Children will enjoy this a lot.
  28. BeverlyB.
    Feb 22, 2005
    I enjoyed watching it with my grandchildren. We have watched it three time so far and I'm sure we'll watch it many more times.
  29. AngieG.
    Mar 20, 2005
    Very average movie on every level.
  30. JocelynS.
    Oct 11, 2004
    This star vehicle panders only to those under the age of 15. Watching it is like having a marshmallow stuffed down your esophagus by a fundamentalist minister with its sickening sweetness and in-your-face morality. Also, there are ethnic stereotypes abound; Jamaicans, African Americans, Hispanics, and Italians are so generalized it's nauseating. Whoever dares call this a Godfather This star vehicle panders only to those under the age of 15. Watching it is like having a marshmallow stuffed down your esophagus by a fundamentalist minister with its sickening sweetness and in-your-face morality. Also, there are ethnic stereotypes abound; Jamaicans, African Americans, Hispanics, and Italians are so generalized it's nauseating. Whoever dares call this a Godfather spoof is very, very mistaken. Bottom line: this derivative debacle of a fish film is one of the worst things to be spewed out of the DreamWorks animation department since that atrocity we call The Road to El Dorado. Expand
  31. IanP.
    Dec 4, 2004
    The main problem with this movie was how predictable it was. Everything that you expect to happen happens, and they use as many cliches as they can muster. I liked the animation, to all those people who say "it's no Nemo" you're right it ISN'T your point is?? It's not like there was pixelation, or it was poorly rendered, it just wasn't as photo realistic, but The main problem with this movie was how predictable it was. Everything that you expect to happen happens, and they use as many cliches as they can muster. I liked the animation, to all those people who say "it's no Nemo" you're right it ISN'T your point is?? It's not like there was pixelation, or it was poorly rendered, it just wasn't as photo realistic, but uhmm... in case you weren't paying attention, it's a cartoon about fish, not a documentary. If the story had been a little more open, and insteresting I would have liked it a lot more, it was simply too short, and predictable, though I wouldn't have wanted it to be longer while still predictable, that would have been painful. The jellyfish guys were funny though. Expand
  32. TravisC.
    Oct 31, 2004
    Quite simply, the movie was BORING. As an adult, I found it utterly dull, un-funny, and unengaging. Even my 10-year-old cousin leaned over halfway through the film and asked me what time it was, and later admitted to being bored by the film. Even "Finding Nemo" was better, and I didn't like it, either.
  33. MarkF.
    Feb 12, 2005
    Quite surprised to see this film disappointed alot of people. Ok - lets face it - it isn't quite Finding Nemo but then that is a hard act to follow but I thought this was a really fun film. Enjoyed the De Nero quotes that were slipped in to be repeated in this movie. There will be some people who see this and love it!
  34. IlzeS
    Feb 13, 2005
    Very nice movie! I really liked it. The sharks are so great and it
    May 23, 2008
    I'm not even gonna sugar-coat it. This has gotta be one of the worst movies I've seen in the last eight years. I hate this movie. Now I never wanna here the song Carwash ever again. This is the most retarded film since Barney's First Movie, and that was just terrible. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Will Smith or Angelina Jolie. And why would such a I'm not even gonna sugar-coat it. This has gotta be one of the worst movies I've seen in the last eight years. I hate this movie. Now I never wanna here the song Carwash ever again. This is the most retarded film since Barney's First Movie, and that was just terrible. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Will Smith or Angelina Jolie. And why would such a big-name actor/director/writer like Martin Scorsese sign on to such a souless, terrible piece of crap? This movie's script make Eragon seem like Shakespeare. The story was as thin as a slice of pizza. Stupid jokes that make no sense and had no reason to be heard. I was wonder what I would give it. 1? 2? But I had to focus on the ending, and that sucked just as much as the rest of the film. If anyone recommends this to you and you see it, I wouldn't speak to them in a long time. Expand
  36. Jun 11, 2011
    This CGI movie from Dreamworks Animation tells the story about Oscar, a fish who is tired of being called a "nobody", dreams of something big. One day, when he gets chased by a shark, an anchor kills it and Oscar tells a white lie in which it makes him a famous killer known as the "sharkslayer. He meets Lenny, a shark who turns out to be a vegetarian and ran away from his father Don LinoThis CGI movie from Dreamworks Animation tells the story about Oscar, a fish who is tired of being called a "nobody", dreams of something big. One day, when he gets chased by a shark, an anchor kills it and Oscar tells a white lie in which it makes him a famous killer known as the "sharkslayer. He meets Lenny, a shark who turns out to be a vegetarian and ran away from his father Don Lino and realizes that his false claim has serious consequences as he tries to sort out the whole problem by telling the truth.

I caught a screening of this in theaters the same year it came out and I really enjoyed it, but a few years later, I've finally realized that this movie didn't turn out quite well.

The first problem I had with this movie was the moral lesson. In the ending scene where Oscar finally admits that he lied, he gets the money he had transferred to the Whale Wash where he now works as a manager. Is that what you want to teach your kids? That if you tell the truth, you will get what you want? I'm sorry, but that was very inexcusable.

Another problem that I had with this movie was the characters. They weren't even developed and were not that likable. At most of the scenes, they were very annoying and their personalities were too predictable.

I will give Dreamworks Animation credit for the CGI animation and art design plus the voice acting and music score included, but most of the time they were overshadowed by a poorly written storyline, bad jokes and puns, overused clichés from other CGI movies, and the villain voiced by Robert De Niro wasn't even threatening or diabolical.

Dreamworks, I love you, but if everyone has to pick at least one CGI movie that was bad, then frankly, this was it. Even though I loved it as a child, I seemed to hate it. It's watchable for the kids, but for the adults, however, it's not even entertaining.

I also really hated the fact that this clichéd, unfunny CGI movie made so much money and became the highest grossing animated movies of 2004 (which Shrek 2 and The Incredibles held their own ranks.) because there was no way any bad CGI movie like this could make that amount of cash.

Overall, it isn't the worst CGI movie yet, but I think I've seen the worst parts in this movie and I've seen better Dreamworks animation movies than this. Sorry, Dreamworks, but this one deserves a good punch in the face.

37. Jan 12, 2012
    Its easy to compare it to Finding Nemo but the references to real-life and the singing is surprisingly clever and fancy and the cast is ambitious. Nevertheless compared to Finding Nemo, its plot teaches children why you should be yourself and not someone your not despite being different from others.
  38. Mar 26, 2012
    The animation is mediocre, the characters are unmemorable and not very likable, and the story is totally uninspired. The movie uses adult humor to appeal to parents and teenagers with little regard to its main demographic: children, and ultimately the jokes are unfunny and tasteless. And in the end, the main character learns NOTHING. He lies, he cheats, he takes advantage of his friends,The animation is mediocre, the characters are unmemorable and not very likable, and the story is totally uninspired. The movie uses adult humor to appeal to parents and teenagers with little regard to its main demographic: children, and ultimately the jokes are unfunny and tasteless. And in the end, the main character learns NOTHING. He lies, he cheats, he takes advantage of his friends, and he steps on everyone else's heads in order to make his way to the top, and yet his friends still come to his aid. And does he properly apologize for treating everyone he knows like a bunch of chum buckets, or does he at least thank his friends for standing by him even though he was a total jerk? Nope. In the end, the moral of the story is: It's okay to step on heads and lie and cheat your way to the top, as long as you get away with it. That's a great message, no? No! The best thing about this movie is its voice acting, which is pretty easy on the ears but is only decent at best. This movie gets a 3/10 from me. If you want to see a good animated movie that takes place under the sea, don't waste your time with Shark Tale... go find Nemo. Expand
  39. Apr 27, 2012
    Simply, very lame with a poor plot and unfunny jokes with nothing interesting or worth your time and forgettable songs and character's . it is best to say, skip this movie. Final score: D-
  40. Jan 3, 2014
    Não sei o que dizer sobre esse filme, em certo momentos ele divertido e em outros tedioso, acho que não me dei bem com essa película acho ela um pouco desnecessária.
  41. Feb 12, 2013
    For what it is, it isn't that bad. Basically it's Fresh Prince just using fish. It's clearly aimed at a young audience. As long as you don't take it to seriously, it does have a few moments where it is decent. Overall: A decent kids film that is a bit enjoyable, but is really nothing special for adults (aside from the LONG list of celeb cameos.)
  42. Mar 24, 2013
    With a good plot and funny humor (IMO, don't mention this), this is a decent film IMO. Quite unique against other Dreamworks films. I like it. But I don't like it as much as most other Dreamworks movie, still, thumbs up for me.
  43. Jul 4, 2013
    It may try to reach to "Finding Nemo", but in no ways does it do. "Shark Tale" puts too many pop culture references into its storytelling that its hardly a laugh. While Pixar has inventiveness and intellect, this Dreamwork's film is nothing in the end. Just maybe a few laughs.
  44. Feb 25, 2014
    Shark Tale can be comparable to Finding Nemo, but not in a good way. The movie lacks any form of character development or story progression, and the ending is a sigh of relief that it's over.
  45. Nov 13, 2013
    Shark Tale smells fishy.
    Shark Tale in conclusion is a movie that simply never goes anywhere. A very mediocre plot with very one dimensional characters, and extremely poor script with very little conclusion.
  46. Apr 6, 2014
    After watching this film again about a month ago: I realised there was a good reason I never remembered first seeing this in cinemas. Aside from the unique casting choices: there was little to offer at all in this film. Part of the reason is the line up of paper-thin, unlikable characters; practically crafted to be played by their respectable celebrity actors. it's story is predictable andAfter watching this film again about a month ago: I realised there was a good reason I never remembered first seeing this in cinemas. Aside from the unique casting choices: there was little to offer at all in this film. Part of the reason is the line up of paper-thin, unlikable characters; practically crafted to be played by their respectable celebrity actors. it's story is predictable and cliched, the designs are sometimes uncomfortable to look at and the puns very often fall flat. Ultimately: one of Dreamworks' weakest films that seemingly served as more of a marketing tool than a theatrical release. Expand
  47. Jun 16, 2014
    I Hated this film! This film is such a rip-off of Finding Nemo. Go Watch Finding Nemo instead of this disgraceful piece of crap. This Movie should be renamed"Finding Nemo Rip-off".
  48. Sep 15, 2014
    Um filme tão enjoativo que tenho até dó. Não gostei de assistir nem na primeira vez,imagine nas outras. Tem uma história sonolenta e faz com que você queira desligar o filme logo. Não recomendo nem um pouco.
  49. Oct 13, 2014
    The film is nothing but a cash grab, it's not funny, the characters are dull, painfully obnoxious, and the protagonist is one hell of a douche. A major step back from Shrek 2. Instantly forgettable.
  50. Mar 12, 2015
    Honestly one of the best movies ever.
    Up there with Lion King, Shrek 2, Citizen Kane, Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Great lineup, funny as hell, great animation, and an awesome soundtrack.
    Don't miss it.

[Review written October 10, 2004]
  51. Apr 25, 2015
    Like any studio-financed, machine-pressed animation production, Shark Tale—Dreamworks' feeble response to Pixar's superior Finding Nemo—has several credited directors and writers. But the real, uncredited architects are a bunch of kids in the mall: Every single joke, character detail, music montage, and pop-culture reference looks extensively market-tested, whether via screenings, focusLike any studio-financed, machine-pressed animation production, Shark Tale—Dreamworks' feeble response to Pixar's superior Finding Nemo—has several credited directors and writers. But the real, uncredited architects are a bunch of kids in the mall: Every single joke, character detail, music montage, and pop-culture reference looks extensively market-tested, whether via screenings, focus groups, or other box-office successes. With dollar signs in its eyes and nothing in its heart, Shark Tale calculates each moment for the broadest appeal, but its impact couldn't be more impersonal. The filmmakers are convinced people will like it because the spreadsheets and pie charts tell them so, not because they've invested it with originality or passion.

Round 2 in the war of attrition between Dreamworks and Pixar (the latter also handily won in the first round, which pitted A Bug's Life against Dreamworks' Antz), Shark Tale steals shamelessly from Finding Nemo, but actually has a good idea at its core. Under the sea, sharks are no doubt near the top of the food chain, so it makes sense to cast them as high-living gangsters, muscling the weaker fish around the reef and turning the ocean into a vast seafood buffet. But the movie really belongs to Will Smith, in full Fresh Prince mode (hip-hop for the whole family!) as a fast-talking, blinged-out little gill-flapper with dreams of upward mobility. In a reef designed to look like Times Square, complete with irritating fake/real product logos for Coral-Cola and the Gup, Smith mops sludge at a Whale Wash while eyeing the penthouse. When a dropped anchor pummels a vicious shark henchman, Smith earns instant money and fame for taking credit for the kill, but mob boss Robert De Niro wants his revenge.

The vocal talents in Shark Tale run deep: A mush-mouthed Jack Black, sounding like an effeminate Arnold Horshack, plays a swishy vegetarian shark; Renée Zellweger plays a doe-eyed Jane who secretly loves Smith; Angelina Jolie plays a fish fatale; and Martin Scorsese plays a double-dealing puffer fish. (Scorsese fanatics who would rather not hear the great director exclaim "Yo! Yo! Yo!" or "Raise the reef!" should stay home.) A few lively early scenes in gangland, particularly the inside jabs between De Niro and Scorsese, suggest that The Godfather could work underwater, though it's a sign of the film's obviousness that the mobsters convene in the Titanic wreckage. Soon enough, Shark Tale gives itself over to Smith, who riffs up his usual storm of non-threatening street language and braggadocio, all while playing a character with an antiheroic desire for banal human crap. Smith feels right at home in an urban seascape cluttered with high-rises, billboards, taxis, and elevators, but the film's aquatic corollary to the real world barely counts as escapism.

1. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    Full of invention, but under the colorful icing is a slightly stale cake.
    Represents solid family entertainment, and will find a special place in the hearts of those who adore the "Godfather" movies and the TV series "The Sopranos."
  3. Reviewed by: Richard Corliss
    The film has a hectic, sitcom air and a full-of-himself hero who is as likely to grate as to ingratiate.