Shaun of the Dead

8.8

1. MacM.
    Oct 22, 2004
    WARNING TO THE INCREDIBLY SQUEAMISH : If, like me, you are completely weak in tolerance for gore, best give this piece of comic genius the flick. The writing was superb, the cast as a whole are spot on but the gore - regardless of comedy context - was too much for my over-sensitive brain. I squirmed in discomfort tonnes. But the debate of which record to throw at the zombies is WARNING TO THE INCREDIBLY SQUEAMISH : If, like me, you are completely weak in tolerance for gore, best give this piece of comic genius the flick. The writing was superb, the cast as a whole are spot on but the gore - regardless of comedy context - was too much for my over-sensitive brain. I squirmed in discomfort tonnes. But the debate of which record to throw at the zombies is priceless!!! "The Stone Roses?" ""Nah." "But it's The Second Coming!" "*I* LIKE it!" Expand
  2. TomE.
    Sep 29, 2004
    Started off well with a few proper laugh out loud moments, but like most british films made after a successful series (eg parole officer) no way as funny as them. Some bits were truly cringworthy-it felt like the filmakers were desperate to make a proper film with love stories..etc but it felt mashed together. I can see why some people gave it high marks but i won't be watching this again.
  3. PaulJ.
    Feb 13, 2005
    More of a horror movie with humour in it rather than a comdey with horror.
  4. ChrisS
    Mar 11, 2005
    This may appeal more to horror film fans who enjoy a good laugh, but a majority of this movie centers around boring violence (hitting zombies with blunt objects is only entertaining the first 10000 times) and a pointless plot that goes nowhere. I would ignore these flaws if the movie focuses more on the humor, but I found myself grimacing more than laughing at this one... I didn't This may appeal more to horror film fans who enjoy a good laugh, but a majority of this movie centers around boring violence (hitting zombies with blunt objects is only entertaining the first 10000 times) and a pointless plot that goes nowhere. I would ignore these flaws if the movie focuses more on the humor, but I found myself grimacing more than laughing at this one... I didn't even crack a smile in the last 30 minutes of this film. If you want a pure-comedy look elsewhere, if you want violence get Kill Bill, if you want to try to mix both go ahead and watch this... but expect it to leave a bad taste in your mouth. Expand
  5. DeanS.
    Feb 13, 2006
    Not anywhere as funny as I thought it should be. From all the reviews, I thought it would be clever, but it was on the level with dumb sex comedies with the addition of zombies. Couldn't stand the characters and it was rushed and lame that they all die within ten minutes.
  6. StephenK
    Apr 28, 2008
    I think I laughed 3 times during this movie. The only thing that kept me watching was hoping it would get funnier. I thought it must get funnier because everyone had raved about this film; it never did. The best I can say was that it was OK. Hot Fuzz was much better.
  7. Jan 12, 2011
    This is a fairly entertaining movie... but i personally see no purpose so for me this is a pointless story, waste of money and a waste of our time rating this over the well-deserved rating of... 5
  8. Aug 15, 2011
    Overrated clap-trap that has amazingly found its way into the consciousness of self-proclaimed geeks, nerds and other cretins and subsequently opened the floodgates for the current spate of zombie-obsessed pop culture rubbish. Film is entertaining enough upon first viewing but after the first half hour you don't exactly need powers of clairvoyance to guess what's going to happen next.
  9. Nov 15, 2012
    Everybody's gone wild about this zom-com, and I'm not loving it. Nick Frost and Simon Pegg have been in a few movies together, and I haven't liked any of them. Maybe there's something wrong with me, but like I said, I'm not loving it.
  10. Mar 11, 2014
    shaun of the dead is not as bit as funny as i thought but the fact that its zom com it is funny watching simon pegg and nick frost killing zombies . but it is a okay film

1. A gleefully gory, pitch-perfect parody of George Romero's zombie films. But this isn't a movie about other movies. Shaun of the Dead stands on its own.
  2. Reviewed by: Jim Agnew
    Extremely funny, side splitting good time.
  3. It's worth sticking around for the coda too as it contains some hilarious and very politically incorrect suggestions as to how zombies might be put to work once they've been tamed.