Paramount Pictures | Release Date: March 23, 2018
4.0
Mixed or average reviews based on 30 Ratings
Watch Now
Naruto78909Mar 27, 2018
This movie is just a dumb cartoon there is nothing good about thus sequel other than the animation
robbywarren93Mar 24, 2018
Very predictable and standard as far as kids movies go, but still completely harmless and watchable. Nothing worth trashing here except for a few cringy pop culture jokes.
JPKMar 30, 2018
Could Care Less
It's Not Particularly Bad, But It's Not Particularly Good Either.
ahmedaiman999Mar 30, 2018
Should I start mentioning its empty plot, scattered chasing sequences that are put one after another with no reason, its absurd and silly jokes that just are not funny? I can't even remember if I smiled once while watching this stupid movieShould I start mentioning its empty plot, scattered chasing sequences that are put one after another with no reason, its absurd and silly jokes that just are not funny? I can't even remember if I smiled once while watching this stupid movie ..... no no hold a second, I think I smiled once because they used the wilhelm scream and I believe that at this time I was supposed to cry or something.

Of course the villain is so weak and his backstory and motives don't make any sense. By the way, the villain is just a miserable try to make a version of the joker in The Lego Batman Movie.

The most infuriating thing is that the movie tries to make you feel it's smart; showing 2D animated scenes to display the way Sherlock Gnomes thinks or how he tries to solve the mystery and all that absolutely nonsensical. Also, there is a plot twist that is presumed to be surprising.

there are man many other problem but let's get over them and mention the very few things that I liked in this movie:

- The animation quality is surprisingly quite good.
- James McAvoy's and Johnny Depp's voice acting are the only two that are kinda good but the other actors aren't good (Emily Blunt's voice acting is very idle)
- The first 20 minutes are fast paced so I think this is a bonus! (The pace dragged every once in awhile due to "dramatic" moments or just to play some songs)

I'm so disappointed that this movie came from John Stevenson, the same director who brought us Kung Fu Panda. (4.5/10)
ahmedaiman9999Apr 15, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Should I start mentioning its empty plot, scattered chasing sequences that are put one after another with no reason, its absurd and silly jokes that just are not funny? I can't even remember if I smiled once while watching this stupid movie ..... no no hold a second, I think I smiled once because they used the wilhelm scream and I believe that at this time I was supposed to cry or something.

- The animation quality is surprisingly quite good.

(4.5/10)
GreedyWarioManMar 23, 2018
Martin Scorsese's newest movie titled "Sherlock Gnomes" is possibly his greatest feature yet. The Oscars better make this win best picture next year after the brilliant "The Boss Baby" got robbed.
SmashFanMar 23, 2018
Movie of the year! An absolute masterpiece of animation with a compelling storyline, hilarious characters, and strong character development, making for the best movie based of an anime so far in 2018.
gamenaturegeekApr 6, 2018
This doesn't deserve a review. I watched the first film and it sucked. I watched the first 30 minutes of this one and left the theater immediately. This film shouldn't exist.
DavidWasHereJun 22, 2018
This movie is just pointless. Like if they want to tell a silly kids story about Sherlock Holmes, why have it be a sequel to a bad 2011 film no one remembers? And considering the box office performance of this film, it's a real boneheadThis movie is just pointless. Like if they want to tell a silly kids story about Sherlock Holmes, why have it be a sequel to a bad 2011 film no one remembers? And considering the box office performance of this film, it's a real bonehead decision!

There are some positives...I guess. The animation has improved a lot after the first film. The textures are nice, the set pieces look big, and the action scenes are pretty fun that will surely entertain the kids. It does feel like an expansion to the first film, even if it is filmsy. The voice cast isn't terrible, not remarkable either, but they do a decent enough job. Emily Blunt, James McAvory, Chitwetel Ejiofor, and Mary J. Blige did a solid job, as does Johnny Depp despite some bad reads every now and then, and Jamie Demetriou does stand out as Moriarty. Also the gargoyles look pretty cute despite them being menacing killers.

Okay so the negatives. The whole premise of this film feels like a very flimsy attempt at making a sequel when it really should not have been. There is no real reason why this is a sequel to Gnomeo and Juliet, no true benefits other than it being a safe attempt at making money (it made less than the first film). The conflict is forced, as Gnomeo acts like a whiny ass to Juliet and is totally unlikable, as is the titular Sherlock Gnomes. The film never offers any true laughs, unless you are under the age of 10 or are a parent that's been numbed by life to find lame jokes funny. There is a twist that is painfully obvious. And there is no real reason why Elton John songs are used in the film since they barely play any of his music besides an awful remix of Don't Go Breakin' My Heart at the opening credits. Also them removing Jim Cumming's character from the first film is a travesty, since the flamingo is the best part of the first film and damnit Jim Cummings is one of the best voice actors alive how dare they!

Honestly I don't have much to say since this is just a bargain barrel kids film. It's not the worst thing ever, but hardly redemptive nor worth more than the rating I am giving it. It's passable, but kids deserve a lot better!

Also how come everyone was so up and arms that Johnny Depp is going to be in the next Fantastic Beasts film in spite of his domestic abuse allegations, yet NO ONE said anything about him being the voice of the titular character in a children's film? Be consistent!!!
TrevorsViewApr 3, 2018
How on earth did such ugly little turds of tackiness become a trend for countless generations? Why did those corporate heads at Paramount assume the right to create whatever they blindly assumed people wanted to see? In consideration of theHow on earth did such ugly little turds of tackiness become a trend for countless generations? Why did those corporate heads at Paramount assume the right to create whatever they blindly assumed people wanted to see? In consideration of the traditionally European garden gnomes, why is Watson, colleague of Sherlock Gnomes, voiced by a Black actor? Why would that make any sense aside from making an ethnically diverse cast just for the sake of it? While we’re at it, why does the sole Black woman present provide her voice for a doll with huge curves who sings in a Beyoncé-style concert? As for the Chinese, why are they made to look dumb in comparison by a knick-knack society full of incompetent fortune cat soldiers beneath an empress kitty? Do these producers really care about political correctness?

Let’s discuss the new adventures between Gnomeo and Juliet, who now must adjust to living in a new muddy environment located in a London backyard. That is, everything after the first twenty minutes takes place outside without any mention of the new home’s condition, the focus instead on a phoned-in romance between Gnomeo and Juliet that has no real continuation off the first movie. Character development is attempted on Juliet’s behalf, except in the end, everything she learns is stuff she knew the whole time anyway. Meanwhile, Sherlock Gnomes gets them caught up in a case to rescue their lost garden gnome community. This super unlikable piece of live pottery has zero urgencies, therefore, lacks motivation behind his many actions.

Despite a fresh color palette that resembles your own backyard, this production stands in a tall order that gives an uncomfortable impression. A clever choice in contrasting these cartoonish gnomes against realistically shaped humans, faces obscured, matters none in enhancing any redemption. I want to mention the lack of effective bookends: its storybook opening much like old Disney films does not close in the same way when it’s over and is the only place in the entire movie when cheap gnome puns are attempted. That’s right: the puns here, unlike what the trailer wanted you to think, are pretty much absent.

In fact, most scenes you saw in the insufferable trailer aren’t in the final cut at all: it lied to you in its false advertising. It wanted you to think that this is a fast-paced joke-a-minute smorgasbord of toilet humor, but in truth: no tone, or humor, appears to ever even be attempted. I swear, mere hours after, it already felt like months passed since I let this motion picture torture me.

In fact, the theater I saw this feature in was nowhere near full; all the kids kept silent. Director John Stevenson’s (Kung Fu Panda) allowed Sherlock to articulate well, except boys cannot relate in any way to Sherlock Holmes, nor can girls find crude bearded ceramic ornaments cute. Likewise, the parents will enjoy the surface-level disaster even less. You may argue you should never think too hard about kid’s entertainment—though let me remind you: KIDS GROW UP! Someday said kids will look back and realize the true horror of old entertainment, perhaps by nitpicking the nonsensical world rules:
What’s the history of the gnomes’ social structure?
What do they eat?
Obviously, gnomes cannot reproduce, so how do they have parents?
Do they ever deliberate the weather conditions before city excursions; considering their delicate clay bodies?
Do the humans notice gnomes scattered in random spots around the city?
Where does Mr. Gnomes put his hope?
Why does this all sound so much like the setup of Toy Story… a movie I’d rather be watching?
While a suction cup nipple gag and a gnome on a toilet sends out the usual crude humor stuff anyone older than age twelve would find annoying, the worst thing particularly starts at the sunburnt rear end of an elderly gnome dressed in a mankini. Right in that twerking derriere Sherlock asks to demonstrate a squirrel’s rear end, it epitomizes the attempts to temporarily stay hip to sustain kids’ excitement.

The in-your-face 3D visuals keep enforcing hip current trends, such as dabbing, or hip dead trends such as a selfie stick, while the bothersome pop music drains out the ambience sound with a random musical number. It pretty much feels the producers were stuck on a potential March release, skimmed through past animated works, found Gnomeo & Juliet did well enough, then just threw together a sequel by thinking of another classic novel that could become a cheap gnome pun.

Kids deserve better than some patio mud pile feast, so I hope you’ll do better than support Paramount by turning down the temptation to purchase a garden gnome to plague your own Instagram feed.
PixelsEDMApr 7, 2018
The movie is not funny nor entertaining. It had bad animation and stupid jokes to go along
skobbApr 4, 2018
My wife and I loved it! Way better than we anticipated. We're both 70, and neither one of us had seen the first Gnomes movie. I don't know what those professional critics are grumbling about, because "Sherlock" impressed us as being a fast,My wife and I loved it! Way better than we anticipated. We're both 70, and neither one of us had seen the first Gnomes movie. I don't know what those professional critics are grumbling about, because "Sherlock" impressed us as being a fast, funny, and visually imaginative entertainment. The thematic elements were good points to make and were well-expressed. Would we have seen it without our Movie Pass cards? Probably not, but thanks to our wonderful MP membership, we took a chance on this one. So glad we did... and by the way: The movie theater was empty when we saw it. We were the only two customers. Expand
TheRatingForestApr 8, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To be honest, Sherlock Gnomes was decent. Which I don't mean good. Below average but sorta good, yeah. Sherlock Gnomes has Gnomeo and Juliet in it... Based on Sherlock Holmes, it's not that successful like Ready Player One. Expand
iSmitherJun 21, 2018
Several kids in Russia were burned while they were watching that **** movie.