7.4

1. Jan 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My expectations werent necessarily low, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how brilliantly written, meticulously directed and fantastically edited this better-than-the-original sequel was. Critic response hasnt been very positive, so I expected some level of disappointment, but I left disappointed in the lack of praise this movie has received. The cast is downright perfect, as it was the last time, but what improved this version over the extremely wonderful predecessor was the extensive insight into Sherlock's detective mind, something I considered lacking in the original. The relationship between Holmes and Watson was more deeply built, as was Holmes' relationship with his adversary. Moriarty was a perfect counterpart and a joy to finally see on screen. Other than the length, I have very, very little criticism of this intellectually stimulating, action-packed feast for the senses. The getaway scene from the armory was enough to praise Ritchie, and this is coming from a not-so-interested-in-action-movies kind of guy. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows is a masterpiece in a genere not often represented or respected. Expand
  2. Feb 14, 2013
    The first one was an amusing little action flick, even if it had nothing to do with Sherlock Holmes. This one doesn't even try to be a good movie, and they've stopped pretending to be Sherlock and Watson altogether. Terrible movie.
  3. Jan 7, 2012
    The movie was brilliant and the actors were even more brilliant! I really enjoyed this movie: in my opinion the people who don't like it actually don't understand it.
  4. Dec 19, 2011
    really good! i really like that you have to think harder with this part. part 1 told you everything, and was simple, this one makes you think harder, and it was really epic! slow-motion scene in the forest was awesome, fantastic humour to x)
  5. Jan 26, 2012
    It's witty and clever, but far from cohesive. Apparently Sherlock is not only a great detective, but he can see the future as well? The scenes where he knows what is going to take place are absurd. The ending is also beyond ridiculous. I hate it when directors act as though we, as the audience, are morons. It was fun to watch, but silly. Downey Jr. is a genius of an actor, and the savingIt's witty and clever, but far from cohesive. Apparently Sherlock is not only a great detective, but he can see the future as well? The scenes where he knows what is going to take place are absurd. The ending is also beyond ridiculous. I hate it when directors act as though we, as the audience, are morons. It was fun to watch, but silly. Downey Jr. is a genius of an actor, and the saving grace of this movie. He manages to salvage something positive from this messy film. Expand
  6. Jan 16, 2012
    This film was amazing.I enjoyed every part of it.It was very humorous at times and sometimes shocking. I would strongly recommend this film.I actually prefer this film rather than the first one!
  7. Dec 16, 2011
    I liked this as much as the first one. That's saying a lot, it was one of my all time favorites. Great fun . The action flows very well and a cool surprise ending. Awesome movie.
  8. Dec 18, 2011
    This movie was very thought provoking. I loved it, but I can see how other people would classify this as boring. It was a long movie. Don't go in expecting it to be like the first one, it's not in more ways than a few. Most of the battles in this are mental. Didn't really care for the fire fights, but even with the gun battles, there was always an underlined theme.
  9. Dec 16, 2011
    Some movies you watch in order to see beauty; some movies you watch in order to think and contemplate; some movies you watch so that you can be entertained. "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" is certainly in the third category, and it knows it. This movie is about entertainment and not much more. Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law perform their parts very well as Sherlock and Watson. ISome movies you watch in order to see beauty; some movies you watch in order to think and contemplate; some movies you watch so that you can be entertained. "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" is certainly in the third category, and it knows it. This movie is about entertainment and not much more. Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law perform their parts very well as Sherlock and Watson. I would rate the movie more highly but I think that it could use some tightening in its plot. Nonetheless, the bedlam of the action sequences married to the erudition of the movie's wit make for good cinema. Expand
  10. Dec 17, 2011
    Shut up critics. You don't understand good film. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows has a complex storyline, and it's great acting and gentle humor makes it a hit. Plus, I loved the end.

THE END ?
  11. Dec 21, 2011
    I like reading the critics reviews because they further help me understand that movies are primarily about entertainment and that the majority of America cares about just that fact. Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was simply very entertaining. Kudos to Guy Ritchie and the cast taking it up a few notches. From start to finish the intrigue of how this one will end never disappoints, theI like reading the critics reviews because they further help me understand that movies are primarily about entertainment and that the majority of America cares about just that fact. Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows was simply very entertaining. Kudos to Guy Ritchie and the cast taking it up a few notches. From start to finish the intrigue of how this one will end never disappoints, the action is first rate and Robert continues to embody the Sherlock Holmes character. See the movie, its entertaining! Expand
  12. Dec 26, 2011
    these critics know nothing about good movies, this film better get a higher score or there will be mess, anyway a range of action, mystery and suspense make sherlock holmes a great night out
  13. Dec 19, 2011
    An awesome movie - Sherlock Holmes has the ability to keep you at the edge of its seat with its extreme unpredictability. Not so much that you lose control of the plot and you just sit there looking puzzled and confused, but to keep you intrigued of what might happen next. It's one of those movies that actually makes you think - you yourself may have turned into a Sherlock HolmesAn awesome movie - Sherlock Holmes has the ability to keep you at the edge of its seat with its extreme unpredictability. Not so much that you lose control of the plot and you just sit there looking puzzled and confused, but to keep you intrigued of what might happen next. It's one of those movies that actually makes you think - you yourself may have turned into a Sherlock Holmes unravelling the mystery of what both Sherlock and Dr. Watson are solving. So much darker and creepier tale - but is still enjoyable for the imminent teens because it does not make them feel stupid, but neither is it too much for them. This movie also goes deeper into Sherlock's and Watson's relationship, I think they make such a good team, so funny, so brilliant, like there's an unbreakable bond between them. It still manages to pull off an excellent line of gags - I laughed and laughed so much I wished I could laugh at it all over again when it finished because it was so hilarious. One unmissable moment involves a man and some drag, and don't forget to look out for the surprise ending, which fascinated and entertained for what might come next. It achieves both sides - its technical side is perfection, and the literary and artistic skills don't come amiss, unlike some movies nowadays. And this is what I call a real movie, and a really good sequel to what came before. A thrill ride of a movie taking you from one place to another - miss this and you miss the biggest and best rollercoaster of your life. The critics certainly don't know what they're missing - don't even believe one word of what they're saying - see this and be overjoyed that you did listen to common sense. Expand
  14. Dec 17, 2011
    The beginning of the movie is kind of boring and just plain action with less content but the 2nd half pays up for it with more chess moving.. the climax scene with Sherlock and Moriarty is just pure awesome.
  15. Dec 20, 2011
    I just saw this movie last night and was blown away. It was way better than the first one. The storyline was incredible, and the actors were amazing, not to mention the amazing action sequences. Guy Ritchie has made yet another amazing movie. Alot of people don't like the Sherlock homes movies because they are not true to the book. I think that it is a great adaptation, and it was veryI just saw this movie last night and was blown away. It was way better than the first one. The storyline was incredible, and the actors were amazing, not to mention the amazing action sequences. Guy Ritchie has made yet another amazing movie. Alot of people don't like the Sherlock homes movies because they are not true to the book. I think that it is a great adaptation, and it was very well done. The only problem I had was that Sherlock Holmes' characterization was not the same as it was in the first film, and I thought they could have found a better actor to play Moriarity. Other than those things the movie was amazing. Expand
  16. Dec 18, 2011
    The second chapter is better than the first for quality fiction and for entertainment. The actors are really good, and Moriarty is a real villain. Excellent slow-motion effects, set design, costumes ... amazing film! Recommended.
  17. Dec 20, 2011
    While I think they could have toned down the action bit a little bit, I thought the movie flowed really well. Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr both had excellent performances, as usual. The end had the whole theater laughing, myself included.
  18. Feb 12, 2012
    Complex story line. Decent acting. An amazing adventure, full of thrills at every corner. What more could you want?
  19. Dec 16, 2011
    I probably laughed out loud a good 30 times during the film, which is many more times than I expected to, but it just felt bloated around the middle. I still love the action sequences, and Downey Jr. is made for this role, but it could be tightened up in the 3rd iteration.
  20. Dec 26, 2011
    An improvement over the original. My audience actually clapped, I think because the ending was clever, more so than the rest of the film. It's good they killed off Holmes' love interest early so they could concentrate on the real romantic relationship between Watson and Holmes. Not sure why they tried to make Downey look like the Joker in Batman in one scene.
  21. Dec 28, 2011
    Even though there are now two films in Guy Ritchieâ
  22. Jan 7, 2012
    Such a dull and boring movie. The only thing that is possibly interesting at all are the fists fights due to the obscure filming. I would rather watch Bridesmaids than this garbage, and Bridesmaids was one horrid piece of crap. From about 10 minutes in I was ready to walk away, and that feeling didn't change. The story was boring, Rachel Mcadams was in it for about 5 minutes. The jokesSuch a dull and boring movie. The only thing that is possibly interesting at all are the fists fights due to the obscure filming. I would rather watch Bridesmaids than this garbage, and Bridesmaids was one horrid piece of crap. From about 10 minutes in I was ready to walk away, and that feeling didn't change. The story was boring, Rachel Mcadams was in it for about 5 minutes. The jokes weren't funny and the action was barely enjoyable and fancy. Worst movie of 2011 and 2012 at present. Expand
  23. Dec 26, 2011
    Much better than the previous film: I could understand everything RDJr said this time, and the action sequences were more easy to follow (just!). The central relationship between Holmes and Watson was beautifully done and it looked great. In all, a perfectly entertaining night out.
  24. Dec 18, 2011
    A game of shadows starts fairly slowly and is slightly confusing at first as it doesn't continue the cliffhanger from the first one- which seems strange. Its slow start is however made up by what follows- the antagonist in the form of professor James Moriarty is a brilliant match against Sherlock and the banter and a clever game of cat and mouse is outstanding between them. The action setA game of shadows starts fairly slowly and is slightly confusing at first as it doesn't continue the cliffhanger from the first one- which seems strange. Its slow start is however made up by what follows- the antagonist in the form of professor James Moriarty is a brilliant match against Sherlock and the banter and a clever game of cat and mouse is outstanding between them. The action set pieces are amazing including a train and a breathtaking slow motion escape through a forest that is that good you can hardly breathe. The films ending however is clearly the best aspect of the film in which an outstanding showdown between the professor and Sherlock takes place over a physical and somewhat metaphorical game of chess. While the film starts not its does find its steam and from then on never fails impress and amaze. Expand
  25. Dec 26, 2011
    Like the previous Sherlock Holmes movie I had no idea what was going on until the ending when everything came together, however overall this movie has good action scenes and is entertaining.
  26. Dec 28, 2011
    A Game of Shadows didn't have quite the same appeal as the first as there's a bit too much unnecessary talking, and started to drag a little towards the end (numb ass and a bit of shuffling in my seat...), but was still enjoyable to watch. The fight scene breakdowns are back and are really good, especially the last! Best section by far though is the forest run (seen in the trailer), theA Game of Shadows didn't have quite the same appeal as the first as there's a bit too much unnecessary talking, and started to drag a little towards the end (numb ass and a bit of shuffling in my seat...), but was still enjoyable to watch. The fight scene breakdowns are back and are really good, especially the last! Best section by far though is the forest run (seen in the trailer), the slow motion, fast spins and explosions were great!

If you liked the first, you'll probably like this too, but prepare to be a little let down I think.
  27. Dec 25, 2011
    I enjoyed this movie much better than the first. I do think Game of Shadows is an appropriate title, however, I felt there should have been more of that going on in the film. The plot was transparent at each step. Downey and Law's acting compliment each other so well you'd think this is who they are in real life. Very well paced movie.
  28. Dec 27, 2011
    This was the most pleasant movie experience I have had in 2 years, after having seen the previews I feared this would be Sherlock Holmes on speed. Instead the movie augmented what was good from the first movie, and generally just surprised the hell out of me with a great plot, great acting, and the perfect balance between action and real acting.
  29. Dec 30, 2011
    I have got to say, the critics AND users were a little harsh on this VERY SLIGHTLY flawed diamond. this movie was entertaining and very action packed. harsh critics rate it bad and only say they fell asleep, giving no backing to why is was terrible. I see no justification in that. Now the reasons why I said the movie was slightly flawed are't even worth mentioning. if you get a chance toI have got to say, the critics AND users were a little harsh on this VERY SLIGHTLY flawed diamond. this movie was entertaining and very action packed. harsh critics rate it bad and only say they fell asleep, giving no backing to why is was terrible. I see no justification in that. Now the reasons why I said the movie was slightly flawed are't even worth mentioning. if you get a chance to watch it, please, watch it. Expand
  30. Dec 31, 2011
    Phenomenal movie! Intense action, amazing filmography, good plot, great acting. A must see. Witty and filled with clever British humor. Keeps you on your toes.

The only reason to put yourself through Guy Ritchie's overblown, inelegant Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows is to see Jared Harris, who plays Professor Moriarty, in a chilling low key.
  2. Reviewed by: Connie Ogle
    Dec 19, 2011
    Something of an overlong, overblown, disorganized mess, despite being slightly better than its predecessor.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Dec 16, 2011
    What this film really celebrates is crunch-and-thud video-game-style action, not especially well choreographed by director Guy Ritchie.