7.4

1. Aug 24, 2014
    I'm not all that familiar with Sherlock Holmes, and there was very little if any introduction to the character in the beginning of the film, but that's okay.

The actors were very good. Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes was witty and quirky, Jude Law as Watson was surprisingly good, and Mark Strong... (I honestly thought it was Andy Garcia for most of the film). His voice was awesome, though!

The plot and the camerawork were very unique, in my opinion. The way they took us into Holmes' head every once in a while was funny and entertaining. The pace of the movie was steady, moving a bit chaotically at times, and there were very clever clues left all over the place to build the one final picture.

I wholeheartedly recommend this for anyone to watch.
  2. Mar 22, 2014
    Sherlock Holmes is an electrifying, high-caliber entertainment experience at the movies. Downey, Jr. is great as Holmes, and Law's Watson is just as good. The two have chemistry and dominate the screen. The slow motion and creative use of cinematography just adds to the experience. If you plan on watching this movie, just be ready to use your deductive skills, because this is one complexSherlock Holmes is an electrifying, high-caliber entertainment experience at the movies. Downey, Jr. is great as Holmes, and Law's Watson is just as good. The two have chemistry and dominate the screen. The slow motion and creative use of cinematography just adds to the experience. If you plan on watching this movie, just be ready to use your deductive skills, because this is one complex story to figure out. Expand
  3. Jan 10, 2014
    I love everything about this movie. The SLO-MO fight scenes, to Downey's humorous take on the classic character, this movie has it all. The story is amazing and so is the movie overall. This is definitely a good watch for anyone who enjoys a action comedy and a mystery, with a classical touch all packed in one!
  4. Jul 17, 2013
    Robert Downey is brilliant. Love how people say this is nothing like Sherlock Holmes. Wonder if they know that in the books he was a Cocaine addict... oh and to all the people who said it was too "Grey"...Never Ever Ever go to London, you'll hate it.
  5. Mar 24, 2013
    Great movie. Great intriguing plot and amazing acting. If there is one thing that bothered me, it was the fact that most of Sherlock Holmes' wit took a backseat to the more favoured action sequences which are not staple of Holmes. The movie balanced action and wit pretty well. But I found myself at the edge of my seat much more this time, and it had a more intriguing plot. I liked it-
  6. Mar 13, 2013
    This film sort of came out of the blue as an all-out action bonanza, a modern yet still classic tale on the eccentric detective, and I think Guy Ritchie has did an excellent job of bringing the character to life on the big screen, and leaves the opportunity for the audience to come along for the ride.
    A contemporary take on the timeless detective, we have a cold opening of Sherlock (Robert Downey Jr) sneaking out of a carriage and attempting to infiltrate a ritual killing at the hands of the films main villain, Lord Blackwood (Mark Strong), but the films soon plays out as a mystery thriller.
    Jude Law takes the reigns as Dr. John Watson, and the chemistry between himself and Downey Jr is excellent, a true friendly bromance.
    The film scenes involving bullet time are some of the best of the film, when Sherlock analyses and anticipates what is about to happen, all done in a beautifully rendered set piece.
    The movie rarely slows down through its action-packed run, throwing many explosions and revelations at many turns to keep the viewer enticed as to what is happening.
    There is certainly many aspects of the historic character that Ritchie has stayed true to, the pipe, the violin and of course the martial arts rumours, but they perfectly blend in with the pace of the film, almost like a heroic mix of RocknRolla.
    The one thing that can be said which is little nerving is perhaps the over the top feel of everything, at times its maybe just a little too perfect for Holmes to figure out what is going on, but then agin that isn't what the film is about, it is there to shock and surprise with its epic set pieces that would put the best of the superhero films out there to shame.
    Downey Jr puts in a commanding performance as the detective and certainly introduces a different sort of character that we haven't necessarily seen before, combining his sparkling wit and charm to have plenty of comedic and memorable scenes with the expansive cast.
    There is a fantastic soundtrack with upbeat and catchy notes to engage the scenes, and with stellar talent here, also including Rachel McAdams as the devious Irene Adler, and a host of British talent including Eddie Marsan and Kelly Reilly, this is certainly a film that will be enjoyed by most.
  7. Feb 7, 2013
    The scenes between Holmes and Watson were witty and fun to watch. I've not read a lot of Sherlock Holmes, but I can tell the movie presented him to be a little too eccentric. Holmes and Watson excel in hand to hand combat, which I thought unlikely. Ironically, I can believe Watson to be great in fighting, given he's a seasoned soldier. The antagonist was brilliant, so was the plot and theThe scenes between Holmes and Watson were witty and fun to watch. I've not read a lot of Sherlock Holmes, but I can tell the movie presented him to be a little too eccentric. Holmes and Watson excel in hand to hand combat, which I thought unlikely. Ironically, I can believe Watson to be great in fighting, given he's a seasoned soldier. The antagonist was brilliant, so was the plot and the mystery. I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Expand
  8. Jan 18, 2013
    I like this movie a lot, Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. first together on the silver screen. Good Story and very good cast.One of the best movies of 2009.
  9. Aug 28, 2012
    Robert Downey, Jr. as Sherlock Holmes; that's something worth watching. I loved his acting, obviously, because I am a huge Downey, Jr. fan. The plot involved more mystery and suspense, and that's the core fact I liked this film a lot. Guy Ritchie was able to deliver it properly. Well, to me, at least.
  10. Mar 31, 2012
    First off, this is probably a 9.25 out of 10. This movie is great. Action sequences are great. Story is really good. Acting good. RD Jr. Does a good job, and so does Jude law. Score is good to. Cameraing as it slows down and does the same thing is kind of cool, and kind of pointless. Overall, this is a great movie that you should watch. Recommend completely.
  11. Jan 6, 2012
    Action, Adventure, Mystery, Thriller, Crime............The movie fully succeeds in achieving success in all these genres and also adds an element of humor........All in all,its TOTAL ENTERTAINMENT...!!!
  12. Dec 28, 2011
    I loved it. Great performances by the actors!
  13. Dec 21, 2011
    Since this is based on an inspiring part of historical literature, people have come at it with their all, and what I'm mostly hearing is that it has turned much into an action movie and that they were 'getting tired of people being beaten up'. What might have been missed is the intellect that was deduced by Holmes, and that people may more have noticed the significant amount of violenceSince this is based on an inspiring part of historical literature, people have come at it with their all, and what I'm mostly hearing is that it has turned much into an action movie and that they were 'getting tired of people being beaten up'. What might have been missed is the intellect that was deduced by Holmes, and that people may more have noticed the significant amount of violence because of it being seen on screen, and you have to look closer in order to pick up the lesser significant and more unnoticed details. Sherlock Holmes may have had violence and explosions in it, but it showed Holmes as an experienced person that didn't just go around injuring people for the fun of it. He looked for clues, he came to conclusions, he used logic. Ritchie may have spiced up this new Holmes a little more than people expected, but it added to the fun of the movie. It didn't show him in a new light, it just showed us his capabilities and his strength for his environment. People might not have picked up on this, and the fact it might have been 'too complicated and boring' means that they probably weren't focusing on it as such to figure it out for themselves. You might have expected what was going to happen, seeing as it was based on a piece of famous literature, but Sherlock Holmes of course is opened to interpretation. Then why go in there and see it, not bother to focus on the finer details, at least enjoy the film, and beforehand think you're going to expect something completely different? It's confusing how people thought this film would happen, and how it was going to turn out. With all these production teams and crews designing and creating this imaginative piece of media, why think you're going to get a tame bunch of people solving mysteries without any spice like the book says?
    I, myself, loved the performance by Robert Downey Jr., who seemed to fit into the role like a glove. Why bother with any other actor when you've got him around to play a bohemian detective who performs experiments on animals (O.K, a little out of touch there)? Although he's American, that was not a barrier to him when he spoke in a brilliant Victorian English accent. It's harder than you think trying to cast these people, and what better way than such a famous star? Not to mention the good-looking British actor Jude Law, who, fair to say, did a superb job as Dr. Watson. Not bad picking an actor who lives on the opposite side of the pond, as they say.
    As I said, I think many people missed out on the joyfulness and intellect of the film, because there was so much in there to look for. The characters themselves were not on a 'clown caper' or some unimportant journey as such, but I think there was more to them than people actually thought. Although films are for entertainment, you can also see the difference between this and what Conan Doyle wrote. It's a free country when it comes to this kind of interpretation, as Ritchie did nothing to harm one of the most famous fictional characters in history. The darkness of it did not put me off at all, it merely added to the climax, and it was extremely useful in aiding the referencing of the character's next worst scheming supervillain, Professor Moriarty. Since when can films like these pull of darkness, action, mystery and suspense, comedy and adventure without screwing up? And here we have it, a solid gold take on the famous detective, Sherlock Holmes. You can't get much better interpretation than this - there is no equal in this war - as this, my friends, is king.
  14. Aug 5, 2011
    I wouldn't call this a classic but a must watch for some action, suspense and thrill. Both Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law portrayed their characters very well. I am waiting for the sequel !!
  15. Feb 19, 2011
    I went to see this movie with a friend, and was expecting a great movie. Ultimately it didn't live up to the expectations of a Sherlock Holmes movie. However, it was extremely entertaining. I enjoyed the mixture of deduction and modern technology. The plot was interesting, but I was able to figure it out a good twenty minutes in. Overall, it was really entertaining, but would have beenI went to see this movie with a friend, and was expecting a great movie. Ultimately it didn't live up to the expectations of a Sherlock Holmes movie. However, it was extremely entertaining. I enjoyed the mixture of deduction and modern technology. The plot was interesting, but I was able to figure it out a good twenty minutes in. Overall, it was really entertaining, but would have been better if they made up a new character instead of Sherlock Holmes. Expand
  16. Dec 3, 2010
    I thought this film was great. Great performances all around, very atmospheric. It also manages to be authentically Holmes, although the action's on a slightly larger scale. But how could anyone not enjoying watching Holmes work out how to take down his opponents in more unique ways.
  17. Sep 19, 2010
    Although the trailers only had me moderately interested, I guess they were a good manager of expectations because this move was PHENOMENAL! Robert Downey Jr is superb as the intellectual detective Sherlock Holmes. Jude Law is perfectly cast as his partner, Dr. Watson. Even though the trailers are full of the witty quips that run rampant in this flick, they don't do justice in showing justAlthough the trailers only had me moderately interested, I guess they were a good manager of expectations because this move was PHENOMENAL! Robert Downey Jr is superb as the intellectual detective Sherlock Holmes. Jude Law is perfectly cast as his partner, Dr. Watson. Even though the trailers are full of the witty quips that run rampant in this flick, they don't do justice in showing just how intelligently this story is delivered. The script is near flawless. The story is intoxicating from the first minute. The acting is immensely entertaining. The sets were exquisite. The directing was surgically executed. Like Batman Begins, the story is almost nonstop, even up to the very end when the sequel is teased. Except instead of the Joker, we learn that Professor Moriarty will be the next villain! Expand
  18. Sep 6, 2010
    I'm loving the reviews here, the stupidity within the statements: "It was too rational" and "It was too complicated and boring" are reminding me once again that most movie-goers prefer to have their hand held throughout an entire movie rather than use their deductive skills. Too rational? are you kidding? you actually need 'magic' to enjoy something? Sherlock Holmes is ALL about theI'm loving the reviews here, the stupidity within the statements: "It was too rational" and "It was too complicated and boring" are reminding me once again that most movie-goers prefer to have their hand held throughout an entire movie rather than use their deductive skills. Too rational? are you kidding? you actually need 'magic' to enjoy something? Sherlock Holmes is ALL about the mystery being solved, everything being presented and known. If you don't like that then why did you even bother to go watch? @the Sherlock Holmes purists, every other hero of some of the oldest stories in time have transitioned into numerous changes like this one(batman, being a man without powers, being a sort of detective on his own, was changed a lot over the years). The picture of however you imagined Sherlock to be might not be the same as the next person beside you. Its open to interpretation, unless you seek to extinguish everyone's creativity due to your close mindedness. The characters weren't empty, their relationship was fully realized (Sherlock and Watson, two detectives fighting over small, inconsequential things, Watson being tired of Sherlock's antics, and yet what unifies them is the mystery for the time being. Sherlock feeling stuck in his life, feeling as though he is being abandoned, trying to pull his old friend back into the game so he wont be the only one who's trapped and alone, his character develops from there but I wont spoil it) and it was very much apparent that they cared deeply about each other, but most would rather that their emotions surface in a much more obvious way. Its ridiculous to give this movie a bad review just because you didn't bother paying attention.

As for the science and the technology in this movie, it wasn't a copout. All of this was at their disposal back then. Sherlock Holmes, whatever version you prefer of him, was above all else a man of science. Also it goes without saying that in the books and in the cartoon or live action series on tv, things did go slower and there was less action. However in movie format things have to be sped up a bit in order to fit everything in, otherwise the movie would wind up being 3-4 hours and coming wayyy over their estimated budget. Its impractical, and to say otherwise means most of you don't have a clear grasp on what making a movie entails, including the reviewers of these magazines. Besides it all works out in the end, and I found the pacing to be especially stimulating, kept me at attention the entire time.

I understand that you have to pump out these reviews almost everyday, but it doesn't mean you have to rush them like this. Hating a movie like this one while its successful doesn't make you a good critic, it just makes an idiot, especially when you assume this was made for a younger generation or for the "ADD crowd". Branding them the ADD crowd while skipping over the fountain of medical terms used in the proper way(for once in a mainstream movie, no pseudo-science, no **** spells or rituals), the witty jokes and all of the deductions and experiments Holmes made all tied together in one neat conspiracy(Which given a little thought, wasn't all that complicated to those who said it was) just makes you look like your the one who deserves the label.

Also what was mentioned was the exaggerated scenarios. They were pretty lucky to survive I will admit, but one thing I found realistic was the part when they lost a whole night's sleep after the fight. This is something I rarely see in movies, usually the fight is over, hero carries on like a good soldier. This humanized them, and it wasn't the only occasion in the movie where they did this.

One last comment before I leave this review to those whom aren't as gullible as the rest, the hand to hand combat wasn't as uninspired as some claim it to be. While being as intelligent as Holmes with the reflexes he possessed, its not hard to observe the fact that every hit he made was calculated beforehand, as displayed in the very beginning of the movie. When he didn't have time to calculate his every movement he used things like the electricity conductor or chains or guns etc to gain an advantage. I honestly don't get how all of this could have been missed by so many reviewers, but that's fine. I hope that if you've read this you've decided to rent or buy this movie. Whatever you decide, its definitely worth the look.
  19. Aug 17, 2010
    I don't understand why this movie got such bad ratings, I thought it was BRILLIANT!!! Robert Downey Jr. was perfect for Holmes, he was funny, yet serious at the same time. I thought it was an amazing movie for the holidays, it totally made me happy after seeing it. I must say though, it was a little unreal when they knocked down some of the bad guys.... But good must always win!!!I don't understand why this movie got such bad ratings, I thought it was BRILLIANT!!! Robert Downey Jr. was perfect for Holmes, he was funny, yet serious at the same time. I thought it was an amazing movie for the holidays, it totally made me happy after seeing it. I must say though, it was a little unreal when they knocked down some of the bad guys.... But good must always win!!!

Enjoy the movie!!
  20. SteveF
    May 16, 2010
    Critics are totally wrong on this movie..I thought it was really great.
  21. LenV
    May 15, 2010
    This picture currently has the same grade as Downey's other recent blockbuster, "Iron Man 2." Both average out to a 57. That's difficult to comprehend, since the Iron Man sequel is a piece of garbage, while this movie is full of all of the suspense that the Iron Man sequel failed to capture. Applying Sherlock Holmes-like deduction to this case, I can only guess that the critics This picture currently has the same grade as Downey's other recent blockbuster, "Iron Man 2." Both average out to a 57. That's difficult to comprehend, since the Iron Man sequel is a piece of garbage, while this movie is full of all of the suspense that the Iron Man sequel failed to capture. Applying Sherlock Holmes-like deduction to this case, I can only guess that the critics have used different standards in evaluating "Sherlock Holmes," treating it as a literary adaptation. Well, it's not Arthur Conan Doyle; it's based on a comic book version. And the result is actually better than yet another stuffy Doyle adaptation would have been: it's stylish, funny, exciting. I'm disappointed to see critics sniff at "Sherlock Holmes" just because there's a book somewhere behind it. The only misstep is Rachel McAdams, who plays her role seductively but makes it hard to imagine that she was ever a master criminal. Expand
  22. MikeB
    Apr 28, 2010
    Cleverly done and entertaining.
  23. DanielT
    Apr 6, 2010
    What the hell are the critics complaining about? They are basically saying that the movie is nothing like thew books. Have you even read them? It is a brilliant adaptation of the stories that Doyle wrote!
  24. Wes
    Apr 3, 2010
    I'm not sure why the critics disliked this movie so much. As a person who has never read a Sherlock Holmes novel, I found the movie quite enjoyable. Well shot, well acted, and very entertaining.
  25. KevinB
    Mar 29, 2010
    Great action/thinking movie... Not sure why so many bad reviews... I enjoyed it all the way through.
  26. JohanF
    Mar 29, 2010
    I don't know what all the critics are so mad about. Of course, this movie is nothing like the old books, but hey, did they want it to be like that? I think teh crowd would be bored to tears if they would have to watch an hour and a half of Holmes questioning some random person and in the last 10 minutes solving the case. This movie took some liberties (read: a lot) if you want to I don't know what all the critics are so mad about. Of course, this movie is nothing like the old books, but hey, did they want it to be like that? I think teh crowd would be bored to tears if they would have to watch an hour and a half of Holmes questioning some random person and in the last 10 minutes solving the case. This movie took some liberties (read: a lot) if you want to compare it to the books, but the fantastic plot and entertaining action scenes, this movie should've been rated way higher. Expand
  27. PD
    Feb 13, 2010
    Excellent movie. i just simply loved the story narration and the thrill. awaiting the sequel.
  28. JonW.
    Jan 18, 2010
    Loved it. One of Ritchie's best movies, and Downey was hilarious.
  29. NickG
    Jan 17, 2010
    Very fast pace and fun movie, some violence but not extreme. Excellent new take on showing Holmes thought pattern (slow-mo fight scenes). Added +1 as I like Guy Ritchie's other movies and this is in a similar vein. 9/10 if your not a Ritchie fan.
  30. JDust
    Jan 15, 2010
    the movie was overall quite intruguing and enjoyable. the cinematography was quite unique in some parts, such as at the beginning and in the chase scene leading up to the shipyard. the plot was believable and quite intriguing, and when not compared to the books was an exceptional movie. the psychology was thrilling.
  31. PiaV.
    Jan 14, 2010
    Excellent movie. Very entertaining...Loved Downey, Law and Adams performances.
  32. RuthK.
    Jan 13, 2010
    I have read all the Sherlock Holmes stories several times over AND I am a mature person of 60ish. I thought the plot was a clever interpretation of the stories for today's cinema - the biffo and the World Domination seem essential for an action/adventure movie to hold its own. Interesting Holmes only plucked at his violin, I thought this verged on looking odd, but perhaps it was I have read all the Sherlock Holmes stories several times over AND I am a mature person of 60ish. I thought the plot was a clever interpretation of the stories for today's cinema - the biffo and the World Domination seem essential for an action/adventure movie to hold its own. Interesting Holmes only plucked at his violin, I thought this verged on looking odd, but perhaps it was necessary. A violin sounds better in a book! I thought the characterisations were very true to the stories, interpreted for the biffo and also to lighten the tone a bit. I really liked the sense of fun of the actors and in the plot, that helped the movie a lot. RDJ and Jude law were excellent, each challenging the other to lift their game. The set and scenes were pretty good too, I like the grey and dull tones for the atmosphere. Expand
  33. IsabelleK.
    Jan 12, 2010
    Brilliant film with good directing and an excellent, complicated storyline. It's obvious that Downey Jr and Law enjoyed making this film. The only problem was that it was a little bit long.
  34. JanelleM.
    Jan 10, 2010
    Very funny and tense which we all love and quite a thinking movie but brilliant.
  35. GarthN
    Jan 9, 2010
    I have not seen a class movie since Slumdog, this was a very good movie. Guy Ritchie is back now that he is over Madona, maybe now he will continue to make some good movies.
  36. Colin
    Jan 7, 2010
    Damn good movie. Damn good.
  37. Richb.
    Jan 5, 2010
    Fun enough to be intelligent, and yet confident enough to wink while pulling you into the inside jokes. Near brilliant.
  38. ChrisK
    Jan 5, 2010
    I thought it was fun, fast, and a blast to watch. Seems like critics wanted it to be boring, staunch, and unexciting. Too bad for them. See it. Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law killed it. A beautiful period piece with loads of laughs.
  39. DavidP.
    Extremely entertaining.
  40. TimA.
    Jan 4, 2010
    Brilliant film.
  41. kenG
    Jan 4, 2010
    Not Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes. But still a Sherlock Holmes that is an awful lot of fun.
  42. WillL
    Jan 3, 2010
    If this film wasn't marketed as 'Sherlock Holmes" and the characters were unrelated to the Holmes universe, then this film would have far better ratings. The reviews are simply written by people who are dismayed at the re-writing of Holmes' personality and adaptation by Downy Jr.
  43. Dave
    Jan 3, 2010
    This is one of the best movies i have seen so far this year(2009) and maybe one of the best films i have ever seen. The script was very good and the story was extremly enjoying. One of the best things in Sherlock Holmes was the actors; Robert Downey, Jr. And Jude Law. They are perfect and makes the movie great. Everybody has to see this movie. Honestly i cant really see how Sherlock This is one of the best movies i have seen so far this year(2009) and maybe one of the best films i have ever seen. The script was very good and the story was extremly enjoying. One of the best things in Sherlock Holmes was the actors; Robert Downey, Jr. And Jude Law. They are perfect and makes the movie great. Everybody has to see this movie. Honestly i cant really see how Sherlock Holmes can bee called a bad movie. It`s a great moie. Expand
  44. XavierE.
    Jan 3, 2010
    One of the wittiest movies I've seen.
  45. JG.
    Jan 2, 2010
    I am not a Guy RItche movie fan but he did a wonderful spin on the Sherlock Holmes story. I enjoyed every moment and cannot wait for a sequel.
  46. KatieY
    Jan 2, 2010
    Sherlock Holmes was a great movie. Holmes was full of action and definitely kept me to the edge of my seat. Robert Downey Jr. was spectacular in Sherlock Holmes, gee its no surprise that he was nominated for a Golden Globe for this movie. I will most likely plan on seeing more of Guy Ritchie's films.
  47. RitchieP.
    Jan 2, 2010
    This movie was awesome. The story was fast paced and intriguing. The acting was phenomenal, and the effects were decent.
  48. AnnL
    Jan 1, 2010
    What more do you need in a movie? Great actors leading you on a exciting adventure and keeping you entertained the whole ride. Good work Mr. Richie!
  49. PaulA
    Dec 31, 2009
    I knew critics were useless at what they do... but seriously lol, don't quit your day job guys! Best movie of 2009 without a doubt.
  50. DanC
    Dec 31, 2009
    Starts off very slow, but the action scenes are great and its a pretty clever story.
  51. LouiseH.
    Dec 31, 2009
    I can't fault this movie. It's was so smart and sassy, delightfully witty and gritty. Downey pulled off a perfect intellectual master of observation that is wonderfully messed up and hopeless. The Holmes and Watson dynamic was fantastic. I also loved the puncy soundtrack.
  52. RobertP.
    Dec 31, 2009
    This movie absolutely deserves better than a 6.7 or a 57 as a score! I just saw it yesterday and it was just superb! A mystery, an action, and a comedy in one astounding movie to perfectly top all others for the better part of the decade!
  53. CharlieD.
    Dec 30, 2009
    Really enjoyed the movie, I found it to be a very different take of an action movie and included everything that I love about Sherlock Holmes in it.
  54. JudyT
    Dec 29, 2009
    Every original remake. Humorous and interesting. Very good pairing of Downey and Law.
  55. CT
    Dec 29, 2009
    Downey's acting is excellent. I liked the movie, its funny and witty.
  56. TinaC.
    Dec 29, 2009
    One of the best movies i have ever seen. Robert Downey Jr. at his best and Jude Law was magnificent. This movie earns two thumbs from me.
  57. MelF.
    Dec 29, 2009
    Guy Ritchie has done a great job turning the stereotypical Holmes persona on its head. Drawing more on Conan Doyle's books than his moviemaking predecessors, Ritchie has cast RDJ and Jude Law as the cocky, dirty, and delightful Holmes and Watson. This movie leaves little room to dissappoint.
  58. adrianj.
    Dec 29, 2009
    When i saw 57 i had to make a comment cause the movie was very good. he looks and acts nothing like the Sherlock Holmes we grew up with but the movie was very funny and action packed.
  59. Fabio
    Dec 29, 2009
    Great movie, we finally have a Sherlock and a Watson as close as possible to Doyle's books. also we find in the movie all the most important elements from the original books. movie's ending is open to sequel. I'm only a tiny bit disappointed to some exaggerations (you ask yourself how they came out alive from certain situations), but that really doesn't matter so much.
  60. AndrewM.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Great action movie balanced well with detective work. It seems like most people think they're Sherlock Holmes experts and complain that the wrote his character bad in this film. Look it up! the original Sherlock Holmes was a eccentric, dirty cock addict. They wrote him exactly as they should have.
  61. WilliamJ.
    Dec 28, 2009
    This movie seems to have more of the original books in mind than the old Holmes movies, to which I believe is an optimal decision. If Doyle was alive today, he would've made a Holmes movie similar to this one.
  62. NicolaM.
    Dec 28, 2009
    Awesome movie Brilliant acting (Rob and Jude are pretty damn good together) and finally something similar to the original Holmes, not to mention the beautiful Old London reconstruction
  63. DavidH.
    Dec 27, 2009
    Rodney was simply great in this movie.
  64. MarthaR.
    Dec 27, 2009
    Very entertaining movie. We all know going in this is NOT your mother's Sherlock Holmes, so no one should be critical of the outlandish scenes. It's witty, great action, wonderful sets and visually intriguing aura of dirty London. Downey is mesmerizing! I was in awe of the stunning action scenes and actually cringed waiting for the moment of danger to pass. Lots of fun surprises Very entertaining movie. We all know going in this is NOT your mother's Sherlock Holmes, so no one should be critical of the outlandish scenes. It's witty, great action, wonderful sets and visually intriguing aura of dirty London. Downey is mesmerizing! I was in awe of the stunning action scenes and actually cringed waiting for the moment of danger to pass. Lots of fun surprises in this movie. Expand
  65. CraigW.
    Dec 27, 2009
    The writing was excellent -- "Holmes" is in some ways truer to the character in the book here than past Holmes movies have been. This is not a "re-imagining" of the character. It's a very engaging, authentic-feeling ride for anyone who sees it.
  66. JakeR
    Dec 27, 2009
    A perfect movie. The critics should stop acting like elitist bastards. Some say it was too much action for Holmes, some say it was boring. We either have snooty elitists or gun-obsessed action-heads. It was a the best movie of 09
  67. JoeyK
    Dec 26, 2009
    Yes, it's a different kind of Sherlock Holmes, but it's still a good one. It's a Hollywood treatment of the character, but it works.The first thing the movie does is show Holmes using his quick wit and amazing observational skills to beat up a guy. The movie is simultaneously clever and explodey. It works. Recommended.
  68. LarryJ
    Dec 26, 2009
    Intense, breath-taking, and a overall great performan by Robert Downey, Jr...this movie will please all action goers. Cheers!
  69. dane
    Dec 26, 2009
    Very good, some great acting, boring at times however.
  70. LindaC
    Dec 25, 2009
    Thanks to Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, there is an extraordinary benchmark of character texture and tenor which the classic novel protagonist Holmes and Watson should possess. Downey is superb at finding and sustaining a tone and rhythm that is new yet as captivating as that portrayed for years by Rathbone. Jude Law does not bring a fresh appeal to Watson; however, he adequately Thanks to Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, there is an extraordinary benchmark of character texture and tenor which the classic novel protagonist Holmes and Watson should possess. Downey is superb at finding and sustaining a tone and rhythm that is new yet as captivating as that portrayed for years by Rathbone. Jude Law does not bring a fresh appeal to Watson; however, he adequately provides the character and personality contrast to Rathbone needed to complete the dynamic duo. About 16 family and friends went to see it. We all concluded we cannot wait to see the sequels which we hope will be plenty! Expand
  71. SuzieQ
    Dec 25, 2009
    Really good, this is another kind of Holmes. Downey and Law are done their job.
  72. BarryS.
    Dec 25, 2009
    This was a well paced and cleverly conceived movie. Doyle would have approved. I think too many people are used to Basil Rathbone and perhaps they could not "let go" and enjoy this updated Sherlock Holmes.
  73. DeborahS.
    Dec 25, 2009
    A perfect movie. Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law are terrific.
  74. PatrickN.
    Dec 25, 2009
    Great escape with two great actors. Yes you are going to a Holmes movie but you are also going to see a Guy Ritchie affair. If you like Ritchie movies you will like this. If you want pure Holmes, as so many critics pretend, watch PBS. Can't wait for the sequel.
  75. Ben
    Dec 25, 2009
    Very enjoyable, different kind of Sherlock.
  76. LauraR.
    Dec 25, 2009
    I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Definitely more action oriented than the old movies but I still found it to be clever.

1. Sherlock Holmes goes wrong in many ways except for one -- at the boxoffice.
  2. This is the ultimate sin of the film, generically helmed by lad-auteur Guy Ritchie: Logic seems to be thrown out the window in order to make room for clashes on a partially completed Tower Bridge. It’s way too elementary.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Ritchie has never worked on a scale anything approaching this before and, while some of the directorial affectations are distracting, he keeps the action humming.