6.6

1. Nov 2, 2010
    Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Boring. Expand
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    Giamatti's character's dimensions are written with such care that it makes him tangible and engaging. He's both fragile and explosive. When set against Haden Church's aging jock it creates a great story with a Laurel & Hardy quality to it. What I liked though is that looks at love were highly imperfect but still had real consequences. Jennifer Aniston is not in this film. The actors are believable. I was able to want to believe them, right or wrong, for better or worse. Expand
  3. Feb 7, 2011
    Absolute perfection - a film in which ever detail is tuned beautifully, but not overdone. The cinematography, the music, the story, the set pieces, the realism, the WINE, the humour, the dialogue... and above all else the finest character performance I've seen from a consistently great character actor, Paul Giamatti. He captures Miles with precision - reading the novel, which is narrated by Miles, you obviously gain great insight into his character, but with every twitch, half-smile, lame comment, heartbreaking expression, he truly becomes Pickett's character, and brings him to life like no other could. Haden Church as Jack is a fantastic antithesis to Miles, and gives the surprise performance of the century, and Madsen offers a strong but scarred woman, who ultimately breathes life into Miles' body. I'm only really talking about performances here, but really, you have to see this movie yourself. For some fantastic camera work look out for the scene in Los Olivos, with a drunken Miles on the phone to his ex-wife, for a beautiful piece of music from Rolfe Kent, listen out for the scene at Mrs Raymond's, where Miles is looked down upon by his family (metaphorically, of course - they are in photographs), and for the best example of just how strong Giamatti is here, watch his stomach turn as Victoria gives him the news after the wedding. He painfully holds onto a smile, and we can see in his hurt, tormented eyes that he just wants to let go. Movie magic until the last second, and after that. Mature filmmaking at its best - as 'Jimmy' says, "an instant classic... an honest film and as real as a movie can be." Couldn't have put it better myself. Expand
  4. May 10, 2011
    This movie is phenomenal. It's humor is incredibly consistent and contains a performance from Paul Giamatti that won't be topped for ages. I loved this movie and would recommend it to anyone
  5. Nov 13, 2014
    I'm baffled as to why this has such high scores. I could have fallen asleep for the whole film and not missed anything apart from a bit of silly pretentious talking about wine.
  6. Aug 29, 2011
    Mastering the tonal shifts of life with a look at the problems one can face, both serious and trivial, Sideways comes around as simply excellent. It can have scenes of high humor, scenes of sad despair, and scenes to marvel at just how something managed to end up the way it is, and the director and cast can handle the shifts between these in a way that feels so natural it's almost frightening.
  7. Feb 12, 2012
    This movie was horrible and the fact that it was billed as a comedy is disgusting. It was dark and disturbing. The only reason people like it because the backdrop was about wineries. How anyone can say that this was an honest film and real must be leading a very pathetic and sad life.
  8. May 8, 2012
    Sideways makes you believe that the story written by Alexander Payne is true. It is fresh, smart and as sophisticated as a good, old wine. All four actors are full of emotions, especially Paul Giamatti gives an unforgettable performance.
  9. Jan 5, 2013
    "Sideways" is a insightful movie about friendship, love, a lot drinking, bad habits and moral weaknesses of man. However it leaves delight after seeing, and chaotic adventure of main characters breathes in us hope that life is much more pleasent that it sounds.
  10. Aug 14, 2010
    Although I enjoyed the movie, I'm not sure why the critics fawned over it as much as they did. It's solid, but not spectacular. The characters and plot were entertaining and unique.
  11. Jan 16, 2011
    This is in my top 20 movies of the last decade. It has an amazing script, and no less than three terrific performances by Paul Giamatti (one of the worst snubs in Oscar history) Thomas Hadden Church, and Virginia Madsen. It's very funny, entertaining, and made wine country a fascinating topic for someone like me who had no interest on the subject. It's purely about life and the choices we make.
  12. Nov 28, 2010
    Best quotidian movie in the last 20 years, wonderful plot, nice acting Giamatti's performance its sublime.
    This movie its not for a general crowd, as wine tour suggest, the movie target's people that loves wine, nature and stereotypes on actual society, for some people to hard to understand the movie's message.
    i watch it 2 times already and there's always something new on the plot ...
  13. Jun 10, 2012
    I really like Paul Giamatti and Thomas Haden Church, I think Thomas should won that oscar this movie is really entertaining, pretty good in my opinion, i specially liked it by the acting but still good
  14. Jun 10, 2012
    I love the acting in this movie, i also like the drama and it has comedy too, that is great, i do not get why people doesnt like it much its of my favorite ones
  15. Nov 18, 2012
    Payne directs the film so meticulously that you can't help but be intrigued by what he's showing you. He and Giamatti create and character with vast depth and sneakily subtle idiosyncrasies.
  16. Jun 8, 2013
    A special film, the kind that stays with you days after watching it. The word that comes to mind when I think about this movie is, rich. Each scene is so perfectly constructed and full of so much heart and soul; the characters are fully realized, well developed, and perfectly portrayed by an amazing cast. Payne's direction is brilliant, this is easily his best film he's ever done. And the script is fun, charming, interesting, real, and resonant. Expand
  17. Feb 17, 2013
    A movie that does not underestimate the public, like most of the comedies nowadays. A lot of its drama is undisclosed, but perfectly understood, thanks to the flawless performances of Giamatti and Church. Payne's view of marriage, friendship and life is fascinating. The direction is outstanding: it allow us to enter the story in so many layers that we feel on a road trip, drinking wine. A real masterpiece. Expand
  18. Nov 16, 2013
    The central quartet is fantastic to behold, and this remains one of Alexander Payne's best films. It's a fantastic piece of work aided by an engaging and bittersweet script.
  19. Mar 29, 2014
    One of my all time favorite movies, and for some people on here to say it was the worst movie ever, watch Lost in space, or the Black Hole. People are so ridiculous. Sideways is a classic.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    A beautifully observed, small-scale study of personal foibles, romantic uncertainty and two sides of the sadly predictable male animal.
  2. Hysterically funny yet melancholy comedy.
  3. Reviewed by: David Ansen
    In Sideways, Payne has created four of the most lived-in, indelible characters in recent American movies. This deliciously bittersweet movie makes magic out of the quotidian.