8.3

1. Nov 17, 2012
    This comfortably sits as my movie of the year thus far. I sat with a wide, satisfied smile when it was over. This won't be a full review because I want it to be fresh experience for everyone. I will say that it shows outstanding casting, writing, and directing. And its use of a certain Led Zeppelin song is so pitch perfect, it gave me goose bumps.
  2. Dec 22, 2012
    I really enjoyed this film. The comedy never gets in the way of the drama and vice versa. The performances are all solid. There are several actors you don't see in movies too often anymore and it is pleasant to see them again.
  3. Nov 24, 2012
    A roller coaster ride of a movie with emotions swinging from teary eyed seriousness to laugh out loud moments. Every character was well played and especially good performances from Cooper and Lawrence.
  4. Jan 12, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence has arrived. If the Hunger Games did not catapult her to the top Silver Linings Playbook does. All of us in America come from a dysfunctional family. So what? DeNiro is a scream as a die hard Philadelphia Eagle fan. This movie is totally worthy of all the accolades it has received. Definitely worth the price of admission. Go see and enjoy.
  5. Feb 28, 2013
    This movie had me smiling all the way through. All the characters are full of life and energy. They're all a little crazy, even the sane ones, and I think that describes us all.
  6. Feb 2, 2013
    One of the best movies this year. Top notch performances from every cast member. Sad and funny at the same time. It gets a little bit unrealistic around the last part, but I like it anyways, because when the movie ended I felt good, and there is nothing more to ask...Now we should go and find our silver linings too.
  7. Nov 23, 2012
    A seamless blend of excellent dramatic and comedic acting. Satisfying comedy. Satisfying romance. Dozens of scenes which could have gone awry and none of them do. Some movies just gel and have a special magic and this one did for me. Please go see this movie and support real film making, great writing, and just hardcore fantastic acting.
  8. Nov 29, 2012
    What a brilliant film Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DiNiro, Chris Tucker so funny considering the subject matter after a long day it really cheered me up some brilliant acting and great direction a must see film.
  9. Jan 20, 2013
    Silver Lining Playbook is inspiring for those willing to let their guard down to the uncomfortable realities told by this story, and a tastefully effective display of emotional honesty.
  10. Nov 23, 2012
    Best movie of the year. Not one moment did my wife and I feel any incongruity in any part of this movie. It was funny and real all the way through. Very rewarding if you have accurate people skills & intuition
  11. Feb 13, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Two endings: one happy, one sad, wind up Billy Brown's malleable story in Vincent Gallo's Buffalo '66, the 1998 cult classic that informs Silver Linings Playbook: sometimes broadly, sometimes not. Like any good quarterback, however, the film calls many audibles and creates something new from the prevailing framework. But make no mistake about it, the QB scouted the Bills-themed indie. The QB knows the players. Billy, lost and unloved, just released from prison for a crime he didn't commit, inevitably, finds himself at a strip joint, bent on revenge with gun in hand, staring down Scott Wood, a retired placekicker whose missed game-winning field goal prompted in Billy a default on his wager to a local bookie that the designated fall guy couldn't begin to recompense. As the club's owner, Scott holds court in a private booth, in which the Super Bowl goat, surrounded by topless women, takes a bullet in the forehead before the disgruntled gambler turns the gun to the side of his own temple. Excelsior, Pat's notion that every bad situation has a silver lining is something Billy doesn't prescribe to, or so it seems, at first. Who is the omniscient QB(read: narrator) that changes the called play: the murder/suicide? Is it the bipolar high school teacher, who similar to the would-be killer, returns home after being incarcerated for a felony(he nearly beats his wife's lover to death), with the difference being that the facility is a mental hospital, not a state penitentiary? Pat, similar to Billy, grew up in a house where the preponderance of football created an extensive amount of dysfunction between parent and child. When Pat Sr. complains that Tiffany is messing up his team's juju, it reveals how for many Americans, football functions as a sort of pagan religion. In the Brown household, O.J. with the pigskin graces their wall, not J.C. on the cross. Moreover, Billy is named after the appelation given to the cold weather city's team. Clearly, both men played(and continue to play) second fiddle to an organization of beefy athletes who on Sunday, diverted their parents from the church and into a stadium, the house of laical worship. Sadly, the discovery made by Tiffany that Pat's catchword doubles as the motto used on the New York State seal, constitutes as a bona fide miracle. In Buffalo '66, god is in the details; the parking lot markings where Billy tries to drive Layla's "shifter car", look conspicuously like hash marks. The eagle, another detail, the symbol that serves as the moniker for Philadelphia's NFL team, doubles as a sign, a street sign in Buffalo, where Billy crosses Eagle Avenue during his quest for a public restroom. Therefore "reading the signs," becomes even more pronounced, becomes more than the key phrase from the letter Tiffany writes in order to trick her fellow codependent into participating at a formal dance competition. She has filmic powers. The audience can read signs, too. Tiffany passes Baldwin(as in bald eagle) Street; she spans time like Billy, but backwards instead of forwards, all the way back to Eagle Avenue. Blink and you'll miss it, but as Tiffany enters the Ben Franklin Hotel, you see a camera flash go off; it's the photo booth scene updated. Other faint echoes abound, especially the moment in Buffalo '66 when Billy runs into Wendy Balsam, his unrequited childhood crush, whose house he used to walk past, since in Silver Linings Playbook, Pat jogs past Tiffany's place, but unlike Wendy, she comes out of the house, crossing Pat's path and greeting him with a sharp "hey". Tiffany, the girl who can span time, by running with her stalker(decked out in a garbage bag), it can be construed, is in a sort of extra-diegetical communique with celluloidal Buffalo and its flickering residents. She's the retroactive ghost in Gallo's film, a conduit from the moving picture future, a second skin beneath Layla, as she coaxes the former Bills fan into believing that he's better than Wendy(who growing up, perceived Billy as garbage), which has ramifications in her own life, since throughout Silver Linings Playbook, she is proving her love for Pat is bigger than Nikki's. Hypothetically speaking, in the performative sense, Silver Linings Playbook has an alchemizing effect on Buffalo '66. The illusion of fluidity in a static art is enacted. The second ending, the one where Billy's reality turns out to be his imagination, becomes the narrative equivalent of a Hail Mary. With Pat helming the quarterback position, he throws A Farewell to Arms through the window, through time, like a football. He then goes into his parents' room and complains about Ernest Hemingway, yelling, "Can't anybody say: Hey, let's be positive? Let's have a good ending to this story?" Billy hears the audible. Outside the nudie bar, he flings his gun into the darkness: a farewell to arms. Because of Tiffany, excelsior becomes his catchword, too. Layla is his silver lining. Expand
  12. Feb 17, 2013
    'Silver Linings Playbook' is the best romantic comedy of the year, holding up with a plot that some crazy characters, I can only say that is insanely good. Bradley does its best to deliver a great performance, but make no mistake, the film is Jennifer Lawrence.
  13. Jul 7, 2013
    This movie, represents everything an audience dreams of seeing in a movie. First, the acting is superb. Though, this movie is predictable, the story line and great dialogue makes up for it. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, have amazing chemistry together, making it all the more believable. Robert DeNiro and Jackie Weaver, also stole the show, playing the role of Pat Jr. parents. This movie, is hilarious, dramatic, romantic, and has a beautiful message. 'Silver Linings Playbook', is nothing short of fantastic Expand
  14. Jan 26, 2013
    I watched this movie after seeing clips of Jennifer Lawrence's acceptance speech @ the Golden Globes. First off, Jennifer Lawrence is adorable and what a nice a**. Her performance in this movie was spot on. I really enjoyed the scene in the home between her and Robert DeNiro. I didn't realize he was in this movie. That must have been so exciting for Jennifer Lawrence, to be able to work with Robert DeNiro, so early on in her career. I would guess working with him makes you bring your "A" game. That is also why I think Bradley Cooper brought the noise as well with his performance. Loved the dance scenes! This movie is more than a 'chick flick'. It is gripping, moving and a heartfelt love story that takes on so many problems people face in their own lives. Great performances by all and definitely worth the price of admission. Who knos fellas, you may even feel all warm inside at the end. Expand
  15. Jan 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Silver Linings Playbook is a fun movie, with the usual compromises that touchy-feely family comedies have, especially when mixed with a heavy amount of clinical disfunctionalism.
    Most of the casting was fine, the script and work of the cast drew us in to the characters and the semi-plausible tale will bring tears to the eyes of the optimists in the audience.
    There was a little too much psychosis for me, but it was a fun two hours and the ending didn't disappoint.
  16. Lyn
    Jan 20, 2013
    It's no "Ordinary People," but I really enjoyed both the drama and comedy of this film about people just trying to survive in their different ways. And the fact that a competent cast managed to do the job in a mere two hours! Know it's not a "blockbuster," but it's less preachy than "Lincoln," doesn't embellish a real story like "Argo," is more relatable than "Zero," and has a soundtrack that's more enjoyable than 99 percent of the music in "Les Mis." Puzzled, though, by the Oscar nom for Jacki Weaver. She picks the son up at the hospital and that's about it -- kind of a zero compared with (say) Melissa Leo as the mom in "The Fighter." Expand
  17. Jun 4, 2013
    "A truly terrific and humorous movie all across the board. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence shine in there best performances to date. Its a movie we all can feel good about and walk away with a great message. David O Russel is truly a genius" A-
  18. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a most enjoyable, convincing, thoughtful and true to life comedy/drama/romance about a dysfunctional family. There's an excellent screenplay, direction and four strong acting performances in this film. Jennifer Lawrence's performance is especially impressive.
  19. Dec 17, 2012
    I loved this film. A perfect balance between humor, drama, and quirkiness. I thought the chemistry between Pat and Tiffany was through the roof. The acting and writing are excellent throughout. David O. Russell seems to be one of those directors that gets superb performances by the entire cast. "I made crabbie snacks and homemades!". I laughed every time his mother said it. Pat and Tiffany's discussion about all the meds they've taken was hilarious. I laughed a lot during the film and was rooting for these two to get together right from the start. The best romantic comedy I've seen in years. This movie and "Life of Pi" are the best two films I've seen this year. Oh - I also really enjoyed the music selection for the film as well. Expand
  20. Jan 20, 2013
    For me, this film worked at every level. It's funny, sad, tragic, compelling, screwed up and absolutely entertaining. Not a dull moment here and it's not even an action movie! Cooper + Lawrence are beautiful together and believable.
  21. Jan 28, 2013
    The greatest date movie I've seen in years, or ever. Funny, sad, serious, everything. Plus, if you have any experiences with the subject matter you will have a lot to relate to. A couple unrealistic issues are no big deal to anyone except the annoying self-righteous types.
  22. Feb 22, 2013
    Incredible movie. Cooper and Lawrence could both be up for an Oscar for this puppy. The development of Cooper's character is given with care and validity. My only gripe is the betting of the football game and dance. That seemed a little cliche.
  23. Dec 25, 2012
    If you had a "Rom Com" written by John Cassevetes and Woody Allen with the football part of " Saturday Night Lights" - mixing in the dance Scene from " Saturday Night Fever" but with a few Double Vodkas thrown in; - quickly You might get a glimmer of how brilliant this very small film is. Loved the Dinner scene, the Diner Scene & Bradley Cooper nails it. Go ! The Acting on a scale of 1- 10 is a Fifty. Expand
  24. Mar 12, 2014
    An interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, he eventually meets Tiffany/Jennifer Lawrence who has also been experiencing mental illnesses of her own after her husband died. The two become friends after Tiffany agrees to help Pat communicate with his wife by becoming her dance partner for a competition she wants to take part in. While the story is very interesting and different from other movies of its genre, another thing that makes this movie so amazing is the performances. Robert de Niro is great as Pat's father, and Bradley Cooper also does a fantastic job playing Pat. But, for me personally, Jennifer Lawrence hands down offers the best performance of the film- definitely worthy of her Oscar. The way she portrays Tiffany, with her mental illness, severe mood swings, borderline depression and interesting personality is absolutely fantastic. While the performances are very praiseworthy, the film's dialogue is also very funny, with just the somewhat suttle humorous side- like Pat's persistent mentioning of Tiffany's husband's death or how Tiffany lost her job. Overall, a very heartwarming movie which definitely deserves all the praise it gets. And that is why Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  25. Jan 16, 2013
    Such great dialogue that it deserves an Oscar - and makes you realize how starved you are for intelligent dialogue in movies. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence have surprisingly good chemistry and this helps you overcome the desire to (occasionally) slap them silly.
  26. Jul 2, 2013
    One of the best films of the year. Silver Linings isn't just one of the best feel good movies of recent times but it's also enormously entertaining and a crowd pleaser at that. The film focuses upon Pat Solitano (Bradley Cooper), a man suffering from bipolar disorder recently released from a psychiatric hospital returns home to live with his parents, Pat Sr. (Robert De Niro) & Deloris (Jacki Weaver). Determined to win back his estranged wife, he meets Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) who recently widowed agrees to help him if he enters dance competition with her. As they become closer they both must deal with their relationships with each other whilst coping with their disorders. The performances of the leads were lauded and it's easy to see why. They give some phenomenal performances. Cooper and Lawrence in the lead roles are incredible! The pair's edgy raport and mesmerizing chemistry sees them both deliver a pitch perfect performance. It's relationship that is a sheer delight to watch! Lawrence won the Academy Award and rightfully so, she is superb, especially when you consider she was just 21 at the time. Cooper also proves to an instant hit His stock continues to rise and he is outstanding in his role. They ren't alone and whilst they steal the show the legendary De Niro comes up trumps once again working with Cooper as his doting, unconventional father. But in such as small role it's Chris Tucker who proves to be irresistible. His presence lights up this film, everyone has witnessed his antics in the Rush Hour franchise but in a more subtle role he excels! Great credit also goes to David O. Russell. His smart screenplay is almost ingenious! The way he tackles mental illness and succeeds delivering such immensely satisfying results is excellent. It's such a charming and sharp film! All in all, this is such a marvellous movie. David O. Russell succeeds were many would have failed. With some career high and possibly defining performances this is a meaningful must see film. Crazy good!! Expand
  27. Jan 13, 2013
    The Silver Linings Playbook has no flaws at all. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper somehow manage to be the most entertaining characters of the year. The cast gives potent and wonderful performances and it has an excellent screenplay. This is a great film and should be a big hit at the Oscar's. I give this film 94%.
  28. Dec 16, 2012
    People are hopelessly flawed, but that doesn't mean that happiness is out of reach. This movie is a celebration of the human spirit, and I love it so much. Might be my favorite of 2012.
  29. Feb 4, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is an Beautiful film with A wonderful Story brought to life by Great Acting, Colorful Dialog, and a heartfelt story. This includes the captive performances of the 4 leads with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper igniting the most in there characters. Silver Linings Playbook is a film to remember one of the instances to successfully infuse A wonderful Love Story, A great Drama and A funny Comedy. Expand
  30. Feb 2, 2013
    I loved this heartwarming movie that makes you feel good without it getting all syrupy. At the heart of the film is wonderful acting with both Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper delivering great performances. Also take note of the sound track featuring a duet between Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.
  31. Sep 1, 2014
    Not only do Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give two of the best performances of the year, the film is a romantic masterpiece. Between first-rate writing and an ensemble-to-kill, The Weinstein Company has a gem on their hands.
  32. Nov 30, 2013
    Jen and Brad are outstanding and display remarkable chemistry. Among one of the best films in years. It is meaningful and hilarious and has a wonderful supporting cast. I just love it.
  33. Feb 21, 2013
    Silver Linings is a film that could have done so many things wrong and offended so many people, but luckily it does everything so right and comes across as one of 2012's best films. Patrick suffers from bipolar, brought around by his wife's affair, and he is being let out of an institution for the mentally unstable to go live back at home with his parents. Pat is determined to get back into shape, sort out his mental health problems and sort out his marriage with his wife however the restraining order she put on him makes this extremely difficult and only makes matters worse for him. However when me meets Tiffany, a person who also has mental health issues and can relate to what he is going through they decide to become friends and help each other in each others problems. Pat needs to get back with his wife and Tiffany needs a dance partner, however as the relationship they start grows they begin to realise that what they set out to do in the first place no longer matters as long as they are together.
    Silver Linings is expertly written, well casted, light hearted on serious matter yet never comes across as poking fun at mental health problems. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence perfectly compliment yet also contrast with each other in this film in all the right places and the supporting cast including the likes of Robert DeNiro just makes this film truly stand-out from the rest of the 'feel good film' genre. The perfect film to make you feel sad, happy, romantic, angry and ultimately make you realise that everything has a Silver Lining.
  34. May 1, 2013
    Going into this movie, I had seen David O. Russell's last film, The Fighter. This movie was just as good, and he has now become a favorite director of mine. With utterly perfect casting, and a great story, the movie delivered and left me not only satisfied, but very impressed and happy. Jennifer Lawrence deserved every ounce of that Oscar, and likewise for the nominations for the other three. Easily my favorite film of 2012. Expand
  35. Feb 3, 2013
    David O. Russell´s Silver Linings Playbook is a great film. It´s funny when it needs to be and dramatic when it needs to be. It´s funny, romantic and a great experience. The screenplay is very well written, believable and funny. The cast is remarkable, Jennifer Lawrence is amazing and Robert DeNiro basically reinvented himself. The movie is such a great experience, it´s fun, charming and delightful. It is definitely a must-see! Expand
  36. Jan 20, 2013
    Well, honestly speaking, Silver Linings Playbook is the best romantic comedy-drama film I have watched in 2012. I'm not even exaggerating it, I'm not a fan of Hollywood romance but there comes a time when someone, out of the blue, does something marvelous. Congratulations to David O. Russell for writing and directing such a wonderful piece of story, which is imperfect, includes a dysfunctional family, two damaged persons and despite all those imperfections, it is a flawless and perfect story. Some romantic films seem predictable at times when you're watching them with complete attention but Silver Linings Playbook is unpredictable. You think something bad would happen in the next scene but it turns out to be the complete opposite. Hats off to Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's excellent performances. I know how great of an actor Lawrence is, but the big surprise of this film is none other than Cooper; his character and its execution, his dialogues and expressions are wonderful, he has carried it out extremely well, I don't think anyone else would have done it in the same way. Here is an argument that the film doesn't have a powerful story and gets lame at times. My only response to that is this love story is told in such a beautiful way that you can easily ignore all the bad things, but there isn't a single bad thing about this film, for me. My expectations from this film were higher than the Mount Everest and yet it still surprised me with its ingenuity and beauty. The imperfection of its story and its characters is what makes it flawless and perfect and that is the sole reason I call it the best love story of 2012. Expand
  37. Feb 8, 2013
    Fronted by four impeccable performances, 'Silver Linings Playbook' is not your average rom com, but a character drama and story of emotion. It may on the outside seem generic, but David O. Russell has some impressive direction, and wonderful script writing to create an original dramedy film of the highest level. It really is the performances that steal the show here though, with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper in particular, theres very few minor faults in this film, but its just too good to complain about them when you get a film this amazing. Expand
  38. Jan 21, 2013
    I loved this movie. I don't usually like Bradley Cooper, but I thought he did great in this movie. Jennifer Lawrence stole the show, though. Her performance really made this movie.
  39. Nov 30, 2012
    The best movie I have seen all year! It had it all...drama, tears, humor, romance...Bradley Cooper was smoking hot and should be an Oscar nominee for this one.
  40. Jan 13, 2013
    This has got to be the best movie I have seen in 2012 ! I was so blown away from the Incredible preformnace by both lead actors: Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Jennifer is such a talented actress. She has proven herself big time in this movie. When she was casted for The Hunger Games I was skeptical and disappointed. But then i saw the movie and I found myself amazed and shocked by her preformance. She is so talented. She's got a great sense of humor and she was balancing the emotions so well. I can't wait to see her in future movies! Bradly Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence had such a great chemistry between them. The movie was not the normal Romantic comedy and that was the thing that made it so touching. I was so drawn to it. I loved every sec of it! The movie was balanced well and i found myself laughing so hard and then the next minute feeling sad it was a rollercoaster of so many mixed wmotions. I would totally be happy if they win the Oscars. I think they deserve it! Expand
  41. Jan 15, 2013
    Finally! a unique movie that combines elements of real life with the awesome and I mean Oscar winning performance of Bradley Cooper. Also the Led Zepp song was awesome. I give it a Perfect score, done movie of the year
  42. Mar 2, 2013
    David O.Russel is a genius perfect writing beautiful story really likebale characters and an inforgatable performences by the actors especially jennifer lawrence and bradely cooper who proove to be one of hollywood strongest performers, really worth watching
  43. Jan 13, 2013
    I rode the story like an exciting roller coaster ride. The acting by all was superb. Robert DiNiro gives his best performance in years. Clever and spontaneous are the two words I would use to describe this film.
  44. Dec 13, 2012
    A unique film because of the way it tells a light human story in such a hard dramatic way. The most invigorating aspect of Silver Linings Playbook- and there are many- is its masterful script and the actors delivering the well-paced, careful lines. There isn
  45. Jan 23, 2013
    A sort of modern day When Harry Met Sally, if Harry and Sally were both diagnosed with bi-polar disorder. A funny adult comedy, not your average Kathrine Heigl (post-Knocked Up) rom-com. Nice to see a movie that is romantic, and yet is not a painstakingly dull story that induces the "ooohs and ahhs" from women viewers that love Nicholas Sparks.
  46. Nov 26, 2012
    Enjoy every bit of the movie. It was funny, sweet and I love both actors. I would see it again. My daughter and I both found it to be a movie to remember.
  47. Dec 9, 2012
    With the help of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence's best performances to date, a fantastically charming screenplay, and David O. Russell's substantial directorial prowess, "Silver Linings Playbook" easily soars above the conventional romantic comedy with its honesty.
  48. Feb 27, 2013
    All I know is that when I first watched this as opposed to the movie that did win the Oscar, I did not feel strongly that it didn't deserve Best Picture. The casting was great. The nut jobs were all entertaining. We can all lament the plot for its predictability but the title had silver lining in it, and they kept talking about negativity, so I'm glad they did not resort to shock value so that the movie would come across as something it wasn't supposed to be. The acting and the references and jokes about Bipolar Disorder gave this movie a fresh face where it could simply have been a second rate movie about 'boy meets girl' with a little dancing at the side. The first half was stronger than the second one. Expand
  49. Jan 27, 2013
    Fresh and original, Silver Linings Playbook is my favorite film of 2012! It's a family drama, a romantic comedy, and a touching story of people suffering from mental illness, but all the while it transcends all these genres making SLP a unique movie experience. Powerfully acted by its leads Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper who gives the best performance of his career, as well as the supporting cast. Perfectly directed by David O Russel. Overall, just an amazing film that I absolutely loved. Expand
  50. Jun 19, 2013
    Heard this was a good movie from some friends whose judgement I trust, not to mention the critics loved it, so I had to see it. It did not disappoint. I found it to be strange at first, but that's done on purpose because this does follow some mentally... different people. Superb acting all around, particularly Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence who do a fantastic job of playing their characters. Funny, plenty of "oh no he/she didn't" moments, lots of conflict, heartwarming, and a feel-good movie by the end. Recommended! Expand
  51. Dec 8, 2012
    The best film I've seen this year; loved the story, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were perfect; the supporting cast was fantastic. Loved it!!
  52. Dec 19, 2012
    Simply put, great. This movie achieves something special in blending heartbreaking drama with hilarious comedy while being able to be taken seriously. It's rare that a film can set out to explore both realms in a serious tone, but it does here. This is a must-see. It's truly a breakout role for Jennifer Lawrence and adds vast complexity to Bradley Cooper who before this was just the opposite of 'Limitless.' Also a noteworthy performance by Robert Deniro - he's finally accepting his age and taking on more appropriate roles that he can absolutely nail. Bravo! Expand
  53. Jan 11, 2013
    Went to see this having NO idea what it was about. All I knew was that it was in Philadelphia. Couldn't have enjoyed this film more! It was wonderful. The first third of the movie leaves one curious as to where the story is going to go, and yes, it is somewhat uncomfortable. But it is supposed to be. Once the story gets going it is just a fun ride. The entire cast was amazing. The only negative I could give is that the cast didn't sound like they were in Philly. Philadelphians do have a certain accent after all. This is the movie of the year in my opinion. Expand
  54. Jan 2, 2013
    A very different kind of love story that cashes in a little on the ballroom dancing craze while romanticizing mental illness through the genuinely perfect performances of Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Great acting helps this film overcome some cliche moments and a few peculiar writing devices. Chris Tucker, Robert De Niro and Jackie Weaver all work extremely hard to patch over some of the more predictable moments, making this film a must see. Expand
  55. Jan 21, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is why we go to the movies and I can't remember the last film that evoked such a spectrum of emotions. I grabs you early on and doesn't let go, largely due to it's brilliant performances (a huge nod to Jennifer Lawrence), and culturally relevant screenplay. You will laugh, cry and cheer during several of it's dysfunctionally delicious segments and you'll fall in love with at least a couple of its characters. Backed by an outstanding soundtrack, SLP is one of those films that you'll recommend to everyone you know. Yes, it's that good and thank g-o-dnmovies like this are still being made. It will most assuredly do well at this year's Academy Awards. Expand
  56. Jan 15, 2013
    Best movie of the winter season. well-balanced take on mental illness. it accelerates where other movies have stalled dealing with the same subject matter. its worth the time and money to see this pic and I dont say that lightly as i watch most movies online.
  57. Jan 1, 2013
    An inspiring and uplifting movie, I loved every second of it. The whole cast was amazing showed a 100% believable working class family with many (seriously, many) quirks but was incredibly endearing. Even though there were few surprises throughout the movie and everything amounted to a foreseeable ending, the journey along the way is one that I would watch a thousand times. Every aspect of this movie equally brought a great story and it is one movie I think nobody should miss. Expand
  58. Jan 7, 2013
    I'm always pleased when a film flies under the radar and ends up being the top movie of the year for me. This film is raw, genuine, and simply romantic.
  59. Jan 21, 2013
    This movie is simply amazing. Great use of the camera, very different, but good! The acting was superb, Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper are great. The use of Led Zeppelin music made it near perfect.
  60. Jan 26, 2013
    I would first like to say, this is my favorite movie that is in the line up for the oscars. It has the best acting I have seen in years and deserves to be the first movie in 31 years to be nominated in all four acting categories. The direction is spot on rendering the audience to the emotional complexities of this movie and along with the writing renders your brain to its mercy. The commercials do not explain this movie at all. It is so much better than a simple rom-com. It is a heartfelt interpretation of these peoples lives with indie cinematography that works because of their repetition and delivery. The editing is dependent on how the main characters think in this movie and brings fast cuts to an honorable new high. This movie is one of my favorite movies of all time and it has not a single problem in it. Expand
  61. May 31, 2013
    It is funny, intense and a different Romantic comedy than others, it is creative and smart, with amazing plot and great acting coming from Cooper and Lawrence, I enjoyed it as a stand out, and positively different than other Rom-Com
  62. Jan 13, 2013
    Great little "love" story but not a soppy like most. I say love story in its lightest term as it is more comedy orientated. Quirky and captivating with dark humour and a great cast! Don't miss out
  63. Jan 13, 2013
    The movie is excellent. I walked into it thinking it was a chick flick, and while it is in a way, it's got a nice refreshing twist to the basic formula and overall it's a great movie. Jennifer Lawrence was great but her performance was outshined by Bradley Cooper, whom was awesome. It sits in my 2012 top 5 comfortably, highly recommended. Great writing, and as long as you walk in thinking it'll be okay you'll walk out thinking it's amazing. I don't really understand the low review scores, maybe it's something to do with ignorance or dislike of great writing, but the movie itself is raw, real, and pretty down to earth. Stop comparing it to 'The Fighter', I don't understand the comparison, but it's not the same movie. It's a great movie in its own, so watch it, and enjoy the chemistry between the 37 year old Bradley Cooper and 21 year old Jennifer Lawrence. Expand
  64. Jan 16, 2013
    The film and its protagonist share a fine similarity. They are at once both imperfect but immediately likable. A masterpiece that doesn't swagger across the screen on a cloud of self importance rather meanders with grace and wit.
  65. Jan 19, 2013
    Bradley Cooper establishes that he's far more than a pretty face and Jennifer Lawrence solidifies her place as best young actress around. Anyone with any experience with bipolar disorder or just off the charts crazy behavior will appreciate this movie. Enjoyed the subtle and not so subtle statements on every ones reality. Even though the shell of the story was somewhat rom/com, it was so much more. The "normal" folks all exposed their own dysfunction along the way, but Cooper and Lawrence embrace theirs and approach them from an honest (if somewhat delusional) place. Truly charming. Good humor and a number of warm moments. Will watch this a number of times in the future, I suspect. Expand
  66. Feb 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maravillosa, sensible, sencilla, real, divertida, solo cosas buenas se merece Los juegos del destino. Me sorprendí al ver entre los nominado al Oscar una película que creí ver miles de veces, comedia romántica cursi, predecible, cero innovadora. Pero que equivocada estaba, Los juegos del destino tiene todos los ingredientes para que por fin una película de su género saque la cara y demuestre que no se tiene que llegar al colmo del sentimentalismo y del ridículo para que una película sea profunda, seria y además graciosa.

La película se basa en el libro del mismo nombre (The Silver Linings Playbook) escrita por Matthew Quick se centra en la vida de Pat (Brandly Cooper) un profesor que sufre del trastorno bipolar y que tiene una grave crisis a raíz de la infidelidad de su esposa, después de salir de una institución mental se empeña en recuperarla a como dé lugar. Es difícil ver a Cooper en un papel diferente al de perdedor, sin embargo hace una gran actuación, tanto para merecer una nominación al Oscar y el reconocimiento de la crítica que lo coloca ahora en otro nivel.

Pat conoce a Tiffany, una viuda con graves problemas de autoestima y para nada estable en su vida sentimental, Jennifer se luce con esta actuación ganándose ayer el premio Oscar a mejor actriz, sus apariciones tienen fuerza y realmente nos hace creer que está loca de remate, con varias escenas impecables, Tiffany se gana al público que no sabe que esperar de ella y que es totalmente impredecible en la mayor parte de la película.

Robert Deniro y Jacki Weaver ambos nominados a los premios de la academia, hacen magníficas interpretaciones como los padres de Pat, ellos quieren apoyarlo después de la dura crisis que tuvo, pero esto es más difícil de lo que esperaban porque debe luchar con sus propios trastornos personales que combinados con los de Pat hacen una mezcla bastante divertida que en varias escenas lograron hacerme reír demasiado.

Todos los personajes secundarios están perfectamente estructurados al igual que los principales, la película está bien dirigida, tiene un guion excelente y actuaciones de primer nivel, la película con el mejor reparto del año.

La debilidad de la cinta recae al final, un final sin sorpresas que a muchos nos gusta a otros no tanto, pero ahí está, con corazoncitos a su alrededor la pareja logra solucionar los graves problemas expuestos en el desarrollo de la trama, dejándonos bien claro que sin importar como decidan traducir el título de la película en los juegos del destino siempre hay que ver el lado bueno de las cosas.

Película imperdible, en cualquier formato, cine, DVD, PPV, recomendada al 100%
  67. Jan 20, 2013
    The movie was not like I thought it would be, it was better. The romance in the movie is different but catching. The movie offers a different but splendid display of comedy, romance and life.
  68. Jan 24, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is a heartfelt, funny, and well-acted drama that shows off its brilliant cast and proves to be David O. Russell
  69. Feb 11, 2013
    Really loved this movie as a whole. Lawrence and Cooper showed great chemistry together and were able to craft a story that epitomizes balancing crazy with even more crazy. Felt like a genuine story about life and how we all need a little bit of abnormality once in a while.
  70. Jan 30, 2013
    Jennifer Lawrence slam-dunked every part of this movie. She has officially broken herself away from Catnip, and broadened her horizons to psychotic, sarcastically hilarious, bad-girl while still holding up her sex-appeal. Bradley Cooper--- Great acting. He couldn't compare to Jennifer though. The story line was amazing. A little slow, at first, but it leaves you at the edge of your seat the rest of the time. Many people who gave this bad ratings has either A) harsh feelings about certain football teams or B) only watched the first act. It's a movie I would NOT miss out on. Expand
  71. Oct 25, 2013
    this movie brings a fresh air to the romantic comedies because with a simple story and great performances especially lawrence can conquer the public..
  72. Feb 8, 2013
    Really enjoyed this movie. The chemistry between Cooper and Lawrence is great as well as the supporting cast. It comes as the highest compliment from me that you forget you're watching actors, but rather real people. Neither the comedy or drama aspects ever feel stale and you are in it for the whole ride.
  73. May 21, 2013
    It is too rare that a movie manages to achieve more than double as much of all feelings by the first half than another one of its genre. "Silver Linings Playbook" is not only a fantastic movie with wel-shot scenes and amazing casting, but in also makes you feel with the characters for whom you actually start to feel some sort of sympathy. 10+ for sure.
  74. Jun 18, 2013
    My second favorite film of 2012. A movie that deals with the issue of bipolar disorder in a way that shows the way it can change someone's life, but also shows a funny and romantic side.
  75. Apr 2, 2013
    This movie was a joy to watch; Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper were fantastic and i was especially pleased to see Deniro playing a more interesting character. Highly recommended!
  76. Apr 14, 2013
    This film should have won Best Film at the Oscars in my opinion. I absolutely loved this movie and the acting of the wonderful cast. It was just amazing seeing the portrayal of these emotional characters on screen.
  77. Apr 19, 2013
    I love this movie so much, both my best friend and I have seen it more than once at the cinema. It's primarily a drama, not a comedy as some people have advertised. Best drama I have seen.
  78. May 21, 2013
    It's Oscar nominee for best picture of the year that fact alone matters great deal, outstanding acting(Bradley Cooper delivers his best), interesting and very realistic story makes you care about it's characters! This is must own
  79. Apr 26, 2013
    Very nice movie. My girlfriend make me watch, but what a good surprise.
    I think the history was well prepared with drama and some fun. The actors fit on it very well.

That movie worth.
  80. May 4, 2013
    The best movie of 2012. An amazing dramedy which pulls together bipolar teachers and a dance contest with a crazy girl in a way that you would never expect from the director of The Fighter. The funniest and saddest movie I've seen in a long time. This movie, while amazing and artistic, was extremely unappreciated by both the oscars and the golden globes. Still, this is one of my all time favorite movies. Expand
  81. May 22, 2013
    A great film that isn't afraid to have a main character who is a little off his rocker.
    Bipolar disorder, OCD and other mental illnesses are far too common in life, and rarely seen in the cinema.
    To take characters, give them real life problems, and throw them into a romantic genre film and let them scream, fight, dance, and love is to bring those characters to life. Bravo.
  82. May 27, 2013
    By far the sweetest, funniest, and critically well-rounded movie of the year, Silver Linings Playbook reinvents the long suffering romantic comedy genre due to its sensitive direction, phenomenal screenplay, and best ensemble cast of the year. Featuring a breakthrough performance from a once ridiculed Bradley Cooper, David O. Russell had distinguished himself with this film as one of the best directors working. Robert DeNiro's impressive performance has shown us that he can find a balance between meeting the Fockers and Ray LaMotta, and Jennifer Lawrence has made herself a gem of American cinema. There is no doubt in my mind that any future work from either O. Russell or any members of the ensemble cast will be nothing short of extraordinary. Expand
  83. May 30, 2013
    As a fan of hearty movies, I had to rate this film 10 out of 10. The movie is witty, emotional, funny, satisfying, well acted, well directed, well written and just plain awesome. The two lovable main characters Pat and Tiffany played by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are just amazing, and they made me think that maybe there's a little crazy in all of us. So I loved the movie, and I recommend it to all movie goers out there because Silver Linings Playbook is flawless. Expand
  84. May 30, 2013
    I really enjoyed this movie. The main actors selected were perfect. I thought it was fun and light-hearted. It had some real-life issues that a lot of people deal with, like death and split-up marriages, so I think many people can relate. There is always a silver lining to any situation, and this movie explains this exactly.
  85. Jun 1, 2013
    I am not a person of many words, however watching this film stirred something inside of me. Few days ago my "big" reveal was Jennifer Lawrence so I was drawn to this movie because of her, however what I found was something that left me astonished. It was really heartwarming story of love. The great performance was put in by almost everyone but I have to say that the two leads in this movie did a terrific job. They showed what seemed to be an unstable character played by Bradley Cooper, and than they introduced Tiffany who was so out of the blue for me. She is unpredictable one moment she seems normal and the next she is telling her most intimate confessions which is one of the best things for me in this movie. No, the story does not reinvent the genre it is predictable but in this case the story falls into background thanks to masterful characters who all manage to find a place for themselves so they can shine. Robert De Niro did great as a father who only now manages to see that perhaps he wasn't the best father in the world.

All in all it is a great story, It's not your a type of romantic comedy that is seen all the time, the emphasis here is much more on the romance part than it is on the slightly present comedy in the character of Danny or Pat's reaction to reading the Ernest Hemingway book.

All in all I was positively surprised by how much I liked the movie considering I haven't been into the overdone "Romantic Comedy"-Genre for a while now but like I said while it doesn't reinvent the genre it's still a great movie that isn't generic in any way or form except for the concept of the story.

A must watch in my opinion for fans and non-fans of this genre.
  86. Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook was a big surprise to me. It was an interesting romantic comedy and drama at the same time. The plot was really good and it kept you the interest throughout the whole movie. It has its funny moments that will make you laugh out loud and some moments that will make you feel a little sad. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence made a great couple and they were brilliant actors in that film. They deserved an Oscar. Robert de Niro was good. On of the top ten movies of that kind. You will love that film and you will not regret watching it though at the begining you don't really understand what's going on. Expand
  87. Jun 18, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook is cute, sweet and really good, with an amazing acting, and a fitting cast, the story is original somehow, and some scenes are really intense, the movie is more of a talky, but overall it is one of the best movies of 2012.
  88. Jun 20, 2013
    Outstanding film.Jennifer Lawrence was outstanding in this film.Jennifer Lawrence won well-deserved award.Robert DeNiro and Bradley Cooper were outstanding too.Jacki Weaver was good but she didn't deserve the nomination.David O. Russell wrote amazing screenplay.
  89. Jun 22, 2013
    Magnificent chemistry between Cooper and Jennifer define this heartwarming romantic drama. Solid writing and pacing make it an absolute joy to watch plus one of Robert Di NIro's finest performance acts as icing on the cake! Totally worthy of all the praise and accolades
  90. Jul 27, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook. Where do i even begin? This is one my favorite movies of all time!!! its a hilarious, moving, dramatic piece of cinematography. All of this plus the amazing performances by Lawrence, Cooper, and all of the rest! this movie never ceases to entertain!!
  91. Jul 27, 2013
    The Slant reviewer is so happy with himself! He didn't fall for the "contrived" screenplay, the "lazy writing" or the simplistic characters. By golly, no one is going to pull the wool over _his_ eyes. Good for him... except he missed a tremendously entertaining film. Apparently, this reviewer is unable to see the touching humor in family relationships. Sit back and let this surprising film have its way with you. A delight from beginning to end. Expand
  92. Aug 10, 2013
    One of the best movies i have seen! It totally worth the 2 oscars. The movie was fantastic, the actors where great and the overal story was really good! Oh and one more thing, Jennifer Lawrence was gorgeous!
  93. Aug 11, 2013
    I loved this film. It has a unique sense of style. It's amazing. Jennifer Lawrence's character was great. And Bradley Cooper was great, the same goes with Jacki Weaver and Robert De-Niro.
  94. Sep 9, 2013
    Silver Linings Playbook was an amazing, inspirational, and fantastic movie. I loved this movie. The performances are solid--especially Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro, and Jacki Weaver. I was totally blown away by their performances. David O. Russell did a super-duper-great job. I loved the story. It was sweet, easy to understand, and touch our hearts. It combined a lot aspects; such as love, mental illness, craziness about football, dark background of the characters, but David could mix them really well. Jennifer Lawrence played a very different role from Winter's Bone and The Hunger Games, so it will take some scenes for you to recognize her well. Once you have recognized her, you will agree that she is one of the super-duper-talented young actress in Hollywood. Now, Silver Linings Playbook has been one of my favorite movie all the time. Expand
  95. Feb 19, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook is one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Cooper and Lawrence's quirky chemistry is just amazing and that really adds to the movie. De Niro gives one of his best performances in years, and plays his role as a temperamental but forgiving father really well. The whole movie is like a roller-coaster ride, and one worth taking. The romance aspect of the movie isn't sappy at all; instead, it's smart and realistic. The movie is just great, and one I recommend very highly. Expand
  96. Oct 5, 2013
    This film contains so many beautiful scenes and show us that there is realism because we can see ordinary people's problems. Also, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver played every character fantastically. I'm not a fan of David O. Russell but I have to admit he did a good job at directing.
  97. Dec 7, 2013
    It is a really interesting movie. It makes you to be attached to the screen from the first minute. I really appreciated Jennifer Lawrence's performance, her character's emotional changes were sensational during the film.
  98. Feb 8, 2014
    that's amazing love story..i feel it's not just a 2 hours movie it's like a book including 500 page..the relations and conversation was very real...i believe them..i believe the love between tiffany and pat
  99. Apr 7, 2014
    Writer / Director David O. Russell as always give us heartwarming movies like example american hustle . this movie is a whole lot of heart warming and love . that is a classic David o russell film . Grade A
  100. May 2, 2014
    An Academy Award deserving script, that manages to make us laugh, cry and even hate/love the characters in the movie, played by the best and most talented Hollywood stars today. Russell has created art and magic, by far the best movie of 2012.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.