8.3

1. Nov 23, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook is a bit overrated. Robert De Niro is really the only actor that I enjoyed in the movie. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence were both annoying stubborn characters, they did develop as time went on but It was too late for me to forgive them. It wasn't awful but I found it fairly boring at times.
  2. Nov 23, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook es una película llamativa con grandes actuaciones por parte de todo el reparto, en donde combinan muy bien Bradley Cooper y Jennifer Lawrence. En general es una gran comedia romántica.
  3. Nov 22, 2014
    Simply a great movie, full of first rate performances, sharp dialogue, endearing characters, and off kilter filmmaking. For once a romantic comedy actually works. You cannot label this movie as a chick flick. It's too well rounded on every level. It also defies clichés at almost every turn. It's almost never mushy, or artificial. The mental illness factor is very well integrated, andSimply a great movie, full of first rate performances, sharp dialogue, endearing characters, and off kilter filmmaking. For once a romantic comedy actually works. You cannot label this movie as a chick flick. It's too well rounded on every level. It also defies clichés at almost every turn. It's almost never mushy, or artificial. The mental illness factor is very well integrated, and it truly captures the stress and pain that those people actually go through. If the ending is pretty conventional, it's also completely earned. It's funny when it wants to be, disturbing when it wants to be, and emotional when it wants to be. One of the best movies of 2012. Expand
  4. Oct 25, 2014
    it is rubish film that a man who love spouse that married with person that sex with 11 person and her father the act is very bad. robert deniro think he play in the gang movie but in film he is a father that love sport and bet. he is leader not boss of the gang
  5. Sep 1, 2014
    Not only do Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence give two of the best performances of the year, the film is a romantic masterpiece. Between first-rate writing and an ensemble-to-kill, The Weinstein Company has a gem on their hands.
  6. Aug 9, 2014
    It is completely unjust to hate this film. With an extraordinary idea as plot basis, you can make a clichéd romance look extremely fresh, and "Silver Linings Playbook" does certainly manage this. Lawrence is exceptionally convincing, and pretty accomplished for a beginner. Bradley Cooper is not so surprising, but they make a good duo. What I mostly liked was that every character of theIt is completely unjust to hate this film. With an extraordinary idea as plot basis, you can make a clichéd romance look extremely fresh, and "Silver Linings Playbook" does certainly manage this. Lawrence is exceptionally convincing, and pretty accomplished for a beginner. Bradley Cooper is not so surprising, but they make a good duo. What I mostly liked was that every character of the film depicted, more or less, a bit of craziness. Sometimes, I felt that the others were crazier than Pat and Tiffany, such as bet-obsessed Pat's father or his strained friend, Ronnie. Even more satisfying, the dizzy way some parts of the story were being told, depicted that craziness, too. Unfortunately, aside from this and Lawrence's adorable portrayal of Tiffany, I felt that the whole thing was not as entertaining as Best Picture contender would deserve and a bit cheesier than I would expect. But this is Hollywood after all, and it's not about art films or quality cinema, it is not about a real message or originality, you just need a story going on and a bit of fresh looks, and, in terms of Hollywood, "Playbook" deserves its acclaim. Expand
  7. Jul 9, 2014
    This movie has to be my all time favorite romantic movie. First off its completely unique from all the romance movies that has been thrown at us over the years. Its funny its emotional its cute and its definitely one of a kind. I never get tired of watching this movie
  8. Jul 3, 2014
    Even though the acting is great, no one can deny that, the story simply fails to keep you interested through out. I wanted to like it but I simply couldn't. It was an awkward comedic drama that just wasn't funny.
  9. Jun 4, 2014
    This movie captures life as it is. It shows the dark sides and it shows the things everyone has do deal with in ones life. But it also encourages to look beyond that, to see that there are happy times following the bad. Silver Linings Playbook is such a worthy title, it expresses the imperfections of life and the ways life has. Fantastic movie, absolutely worth checking out!
  10. May 29, 2014
    An oddly uneven film full of lots of WTF moments. Billed as a romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor comedic, this film never seemed to figure out what it wanted to be. Starts off as "one flew over the cuckoos nest" and ends as "dirty dancing". The whole bet thing at the end is implausible, as is having a dancefloor built into your house, a cop always turning up within a second ofAn oddly uneven film full of lots of WTF moments. Billed as a romantic comedy that is neither romantic nor comedic, this film never seemed to figure out what it wanted to be. Starts off as "one flew over the cuckoos nest" and ends as "dirty dancing". The whole bet thing at the end is implausible, as is having a dancefloor built into your house, a cop always turning up within a second of you doing something wrong and trusting all your money on someone you hardly know on a competition you know nothing about. Great performances by Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence, which is why I suspect all the reviewers like it, however the rest of the cast is weak (particularly Robert De Niro who, yet again, phones in his part). Expected so much more from this but overall it's one of those films that you forget as soon as you finish watching it. Expand
  11. May 25, 2014
    This movie is great and definitely one of the better love movies that iv'e watch in the past couple years. Tons of great actors like Robert De Niro, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper , Chris Tucker. The film follows Bradley Cooper (Pat) after staying in a mental hospital for some time he finally get's to go back home to his family. During this time he tries to get his life back together soThis movie is great and definitely one of the better love movies that iv'e watch in the past couple years. Tons of great actors like Robert De Niro, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper , Chris Tucker. The film follows Bradley Cooper (Pat) after staying in a mental hospital for some time he finally get's to go back home to his family. During this time he tries to get his life back together so he can get back together with his ex-wife. While having dinner over at his friends house he meets Jennifer Lawrence (Tiffany) she is Bi-polor and her and Pat have plenty of great moments that end up with one of them freaking out on each other. Tiffany is cousins with Pats ex-wife and she tells him that she will give her letters from him if he helps her with a dancing contest. Basically they end of falling in love with each other by the end of the movie and they place 5th in the dancing contest that's the best she has ever done.

Overall i give it a 8.0 if this movie wasn't like it is with the dialog i doubt that i would like it as much also Jennifer Lawrence is just simply gorgeous!!!
  12. May 2, 2014
    An Academy Award deserving script, that manages to make us laugh, cry and even hate/love the characters in the movie, played by the best and most talented Hollywood stars today. Russell has created art and magic, by far the best movie of 2012.
  13. Apr 7, 2014
    Writer / Director David O. Russell as always give us heartwarming movies like example american hustle . this movie is a whole lot of heart warming and love . that is a classic David o russell film . Grade A
  14. Mar 27, 2014
    I dont know why people are over rating a romatic comedy film and i really dont know why it had eight oscars nominees, the movie have anything at all, i dont like it.
  15. Mar 13, 2014
    A very good film. Both Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence did an outstanding job in their respective leading roles. It was entertaining and very original especially for a romantic comedy. It certainly is a movie that will be remembered as being a the top of the genre.
  16. Mar 12, 2014
    An interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, heAn interesting and different story. Terrific characters and even better characters who bring these characters to life- Silver Linings Playbook is amazing. Well, we best start with the story. Pat/Bradley Cooper has just left a mental hospital after he assaulted a man who was having an affair with this wife- and he also has bipolar... after reconnecting with his family and friends, he eventually meets Tiffany/Jennifer Lawrence who has also been experiencing mental illnesses of her own after her husband died. The two become friends after Tiffany agrees to help Pat communicate with his wife by becoming her dance partner for a competition she wants to take part in. While the story is very interesting and different from other movies of its genre, another thing that makes this movie so amazing is the performances. Robert de Niro is great as Pat's father, and Bradley Cooper also does a fantastic job playing Pat. But, for me personally, Jennifer Lawrence hands down offers the best performance of the film- definitely worthy of her Oscar. The way she portrays Tiffany, with her mental illness, severe mood swings, borderline depression and interesting personality is absolutely fantastic. While the performances are very praiseworthy, the film's dialogue is also very funny, with just the somewhat suttle humorous side- like Pat's persistent mentioning of Tiffany's husband's death or how Tiffany lost her job. Overall, a very heartwarming movie which definitely deserves all the praise it gets. And that is why Silver Linings Playbook is one of my favourite films of all time. Expand
  17. Mar 7, 2014
    The chemistry of the cast cannot be beat and the performances are top notch that make this a very enjoyable look into the lives of those with mental illness. I give this a solid 77.1 out of 100.
  18. Mar 3, 2014
    When I heard Jennifer Lawrence had won the Best Actress Oscar for this film, I had to see it was deserved, and to an extent it surprisingly was! As for the film itself, it's good with it's sharp and slick humour but after a rather intense start, it starts to fizzle out into more of a usual rom-com which is rather frustrating. The shift in tone is probably meant to represent them betteringWhen I heard Jennifer Lawrence had won the Best Actress Oscar for this film, I had to see it was deserved, and to an extent it surprisingly was! As for the film itself, it's good with it's sharp and slick humour but after a rather intense start, it starts to fizzle out into more of a usual rom-com which is rather frustrating. The shift in tone is probably meant to represent them bettering their lives etc. but it does feel a tad forced. Ultimately a forgettable film, but it's still pretty good. Expand
  19. Feb 19, 2014
    Silver Linings Playbook is one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Cooper and Lawrence's quirky chemistry is just amazing and that really adds to the movie. De Niro gives one of his best performances in years, and plays his role as a temperamental but forgiving father really well. The whole movie is like a roller-coaster ride, and one worth taking. The romance aspect of the movieSilver Linings Playbook is one of the best films I've seen in recent memory. Cooper and Lawrence's quirky chemistry is just amazing and that really adds to the movie. De Niro gives one of his best performances in years, and plays his role as a temperamental but forgiving father really well. The whole movie is like a roller-coaster ride, and one worth taking. The romance aspect of the movie isn't sappy at all; instead, it's smart and realistic. The movie is just great, and one I recommend very highly. Expand
  20. Feb 8, 2014
    that's amazing love story..i feel it's not just a 2 hours movie it's like a book including 500 page..the relations and conversation was very real...i believe them..i believe the love between tiffany and pat
  21. Feb 6, 2014
    David O. Russell has said before that the plot does not matter and when watching this film you know he genuinely believes this to be true, because this film has so many plot holes in it that in five years it will slide into the last refuge of forgotten films created solely as Oscar bait. This film is meant to do no more than showcase actors, its development, plotting and writing fallDavid O. Russell has said before that the plot does not matter and when watching this film you know he genuinely believes this to be true, because this film has so many plot holes in it that in five years it will slide into the last refuge of forgotten films created solely as Oscar bait. This film is meant to do no more than showcase actors, its development, plotting and writing fall almost to the wayside as we are subjected to actors (save for Deniro) who do not understand the mental illness their characters possess and attached with an ending that would normally be featured in cheesy 80's Patrick Swayze film.
    Frankly I would give the film roughly a 5 on the enjoyment scale, but the Poe scale gives it 6.5

Acting: 2/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1/2
    Writing: 1/2
  22. Jan 18, 2014
    I almost expected Bradely Cooper to run in place and slap his face ala "curley" of the three stooges every time he was about to flip out. Overly contrived and as a person who worked with mentally ill people for nineteen years, this movie does not come close to real mental illness.
  23. Jan 11, 2014
    A surprisingly touching and lively movie, which makes you think about the surrounding life in a more positive way. I liked the story and the performance of ALL the actors was top notch. This movie should not be missed.
  24. Dec 7, 2013
    It is a really interesting movie. It makes you to be attached to the screen from the first minute. I really appreciated Jennifer Lawrence's performance, her character's emotional changes were sensational during the film.
  25. Nov 30, 2013
    Jen and Brad are outstanding and display remarkable chemistry. Among one of the best films in years. It is meaningful and hilarious and has a wonderful supporting cast. I just love it.
  26. Nov 14, 2013
    Took a little bit for me to get into it, but once I was in, I was hooked. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are phenomenal, and overall, the film is just incredibly touching and heartfelt. Really good film.
  27. Oct 25, 2013
    this movie brings a fresh air to the romantic comedies because with a simple story and great performances especially lawrence can conquer the public..
  28. Oct 23, 2013
    David O. Russell hasn't quite grasped a more careful idea of portraying mental illness within a dramedy. The transparent depiction inside a Hollywood, Oscar-baited film becomes clearer towards the end, and if he knew that this script would win awards then he possibly didn't try it convincingly enough. The ending was purely cringeworthy, it lost its likeability pretty quickly and theDavid O. Russell hasn't quite grasped a more careful idea of portraying mental illness within a dramedy. The transparent depiction inside a Hollywood, Oscar-baited film becomes clearer towards the end, and if he knew that this script would win awards then he possibly didn't try it convincingly enough. The ending was purely cringeworthy, it lost its likeability pretty quickly and the sentimental drama that is said to be cleverly executed and believable is actually riddled with cliches. The bipolar illness itself is treated as more of a side-issue it kills any chance of an even tone by switching it on and off when needed. The comedy fails to distract from these problems, making light of the real issues (with its subject and the plot itself) and acting as if this is what it truly means to have bipolar. Expand
  29. Oct 5, 2013
    This film contains so many beautiful scenes and show us that there is realism because we can see ordinary people's problems. Also, Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper, Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver played every character fantastically. I'm not a fan of David O. Russell but I have to admit he did a good job at directing.
  30. Sep 22, 2013
    I found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major characterI found it a little hard to get into at first with Bradley Cooper over-acting in places, which was beginning to put me off. The introduction of Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence) though changed all that and the narrative began to make more sense. All the performances were excellent with (for me) Jennifer Lawrence standing out. Yes, I know De Niro is there but he’s really not a major character although he does play his part very well. Bradley Cooper was good, but no better really than I have seen him before. The action is littered with an awful lot of music, some I was familiar with and some not so much; all of it fitted the visuals well though and it made for a welcome enhancement to the entertainment. Over all I found it a well rounded romantic comedy (with some drama thrown in for good measure) and just a twist of quirkiness. It even touched me on an emotional level (a rare thing these days) so it gets a pretty high recommendation from me.

SteelMonster’s verdict: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

My score: 8.3/10.

1. Reviewed by: David Denby
    Nov 26, 2012
    Pretty much a miscalculation from beginning to end. [26 Nov. 2012, p.87]
  2. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Nov 25, 2012
    Likable, watchable and has a nice supporting turn from Robert De Niro; I'm not sure I wouldn't rather watch this again than the macho acting in Russell's boxing drama "The Fighter."
  3. Reviewed by: Marc Mohan
    Nov 23, 2012
    A funny, believable film about the ability of even the damaged and imperfect to earn a little happiness.