Sin City

8.2

1. Aug 14, 2011
    I loved the way the it is presented; a pulp noir thing. I never read the comic so I really didn't know what I was in for when I decided to watch this and I am glad I did. The violence is a bit over the top but it's no big deal, it acts as part of the city helping boost the fact that it's 'Sin City'
  2. Jul 21, 2014
    Sin City is grisly, violent, and over-the-top in all the best ways. The stunning cinematography, taught direction, and electrifying script make it one of the best modern film noirs.
  3. May 24, 2013
    Spilt into chapters Sin City is a faithful adaptation of three of Frank Millers violent, but brilliantly written, Sin City stories. Shot largely in black and white using Millers graphic novels as story boards director Rodriguez has been able to create a visual feast the likes of which still hasn't been matched.

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each of the three fast-paced and engaging chapters providing truly memorable heroes and villains that take full advantage of the impressively talented cast. An all out success just sit back and enjoy two hours of fantastic entertainment.
  4. SBoerresen
    Aug 5, 2005
    I really didn't want to see this at first, because of the whole black and white thing. But i saw it and i do not regrett it at all. This movie was amazing. It isn't that violent, there are many other movies which are far more violent than Sin City. Actually this movie got a 15 rating in Norway, (which is almost the same as a PG13 rating in the US.
  5. JeffM.
    Apr 2, 2005
    If I could give this movie a zillon rating, I would! It is, by far, the best movie I've ever, ever seen! I am still in chills over such a wonderful journey of a movie experience. When I was watching this movie, I knew I was experiencing something special. Frank Miller, one of my favorite authors, was all over the production of this film - and it paid off brilliantly. Miller himself If I could give this movie a zillon rating, I would! It is, by far, the best movie I've ever, ever seen! I am still in chills over such a wonderful journey of a movie experience. When I was watching this movie, I knew I was experiencing something special. Frank Miller, one of my favorite authors, was all over the production of this film - and it paid off brilliantly. Miller himself is brilliant, as the stories painlessly translated to film. I'm not kidding, this is the greatest movie I've ever seen. The angles, the shots, everything. The film is unique; I can't think of any movie that was like this. Put it this way: Metropolis is to sci-fi as Nosferatu is to horror as Sin City is to Noir. I don't know what else to say. I am so happy that Miller's vision was not screwed up by stupid executives who don't even know the first thing about storytelling. Many Hollywood films aren't so lucky, unfortunately. I don't want to end this on a sad note. I just wanna say thank you so much! Thank you for making this movie and showing me that not all Hollywood movies have to suck and only independent or foreign movies rock. I'm still on a high from this movie!!! I just want to shout to the world and tell everyone to see this movie! It's amazing what we people can come up with. Thank you Frank Miller! Expand
  6. RichardG.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Movie should make a person FEEL. And this movie made us feel. We laughed we awed, and it was good. The movie is very interesting,and will keep you glued. THIS IS WHAT MOVIES ARE MEANT TO DO; to put you in another place, another time, not of this world, and this movie acomplishes it perfectly. The pacing of the movie is the best I've seen in the last 3 years. In the begining the movie Movie should make a person FEEL. And this movie made us feel. We laughed we awed, and it was good. The movie is very interesting,and will keep you glued. THIS IS WHAT MOVIES ARE MEANT TO DO; to put you in another place, another time, not of this world, and this movie acomplishes it perfectly. The pacing of the movie is the best I've seen in the last 3 years. In the begining the movie as a camp 1920s thing about it, but after 5 minutes, all that is gone, and the story engulfs you and takes you away. See this one and have a good energetic action-filled experience. Expand
  7. DanC.
    Aug 31, 2005
    10 for style, but only a 5 for plot, yielding about a 7 overall. Didn't love it, but it was definitely original. Mickey Rourke is outstanding. Part 3 is repetitive, but then again Bruce Willis is a fine actor, so he pulled me in. Some of the violence was too much for me.
  8. KeenanS.
    Jun 25, 2009
    One of the five best films I've ever seen, Sin City is a masterpiece of monumental proportions. The only reason people are giving this film bad reviews is because they have no taste, thought it was boring, and hated how it represented everything wrong with society. That's what the purpose of it is, it represents what is wrong with society and isn't far from reality. This One of the five best films I've ever seen, Sin City is a masterpiece of monumental proportions. The only reason people are giving this film bad reviews is because they have no taste, thought it was boring, and hated how it represented everything wrong with society. That's what the purpose of it is, it represents what is wrong with society and isn't far from reality. This film was amazing throughout and if you get pissed at films that show the dark side of human nature, then just walk away. If you actually have taste in films and have no problems with films that aren't interested in happy endings or showing a good side of humanity, then this is quite the sight. It's determined to be stylish and feel realistic. BEST COMIC BOOK FILM EVER. Expand
  9. Sep 10, 2011
    Sin City is, in every respect, a masterpiece of kistch. Simultaneously celebrating shallowness and gratuitousness while offering twisted spins on the themes of noir stories, Robert Rodriguez (and Frank Miller, but he is not technically a director of this film) paints a pulp art story then enjoys itself, while allowing the audience to enjoy it. Provided you have a strong stomach.
  10. Jul 15, 2014
    After watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic bookAfter watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic book films I have seen where the pages were not only adapted but truly brought to life! Expand
  11. Jun 12, 2014
    The sheer faithfulness of the movie to the comic book series is evident, and has my respect from before the movie even begins. The stylized neo-noir color, cinematography, and editing is added with stellar acting and an actual plot. The violence is turned into its own art form, which up until this film, I only thought Tarantino could pull off.
  12. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Sin City" is a very good movie with intense action. It really goes all in on showing how bad the crime scene is there. I especially like the narrative point of view character's in it. I also like that in the movie there are no limits in how bad the crimes really are at all. It does a great job in delivering certain items or people to be different color from the rest to point them out. The cast does a great job especially Clive Owen in his performance. Overall this is a dark movie, with violence and corruption which is what the movie is supposed to represent and they do an excellent job at it. Expand
  13. Sep 24, 2011
    "Sin City", a neo noir movie based on the graphic novel, is a beautiful film. It films in glorious black and white with rich story segments and artistic brutality. Simply a dazzling crime movie that has everything one craves for.
  14. Aug 7, 2014
    One of the most visually stunning, brutal, dark, and all around best comic book/graphic novel movies out there. "Sin City" is an absolutely fascinating world. It's filled with sick, twisted, and screwed up characters. Even each of the films heroes aren't immune to this fact. They're all unhinged in some way.

It's a gripping movie. One that should be seen by any fan of noir-esque tales.

It's a gripping movie. One that should be seen by any fan of noir-esque tales. It's smart, violent, and at times absolutely demented. It's absolute brilliance all around and a must watch. I give it a total score of 9.8/10-Amazing.
  15. Nietzschebot
    Apr 1, 2005
    Now we get to see who's who in the critics. If you want to find members of the right wing and left wing thought police, look for the low reviews.
  16. MichaelS.
    Apr 1, 2005
    To be brief.... Really cool, and lots of fun!
  17. MorganK.
    Apr 10, 2005
    Very close to a perfect adaptation/ If you don't really understand or enjoy noir and pulp writing you're not going to "get" this movie - I suppose it's inevitable that the top box office movie of the week is going to attract those who are perpetually offended and confused, but it's a shame to have them bring down the pointless-but-satisfying Metacritic score. I thought Very close to a perfect adaptation/ If you don't really understand or enjoy noir and pulp writing you're not going to "get" this movie - I suppose it's inevitable that the top box office movie of the week is going to attract those who are perpetually offended and confused, but it's a shame to have them bring down the pointless-but-satisfying Metacritic score. I thought the Josh Hartnett bookends did a good job of holding the barely-connected plot threads together (who said they had to connect anyway? I cannot fathom why so many are bothered by this) and that the film was visually arresting and the dialogue was spot-on classic noir. Expand
  18. Patrick
    Apr 1, 2005
    Wonderful movie that succinctly combined elements of morality and violence by displaying their congruencies and contradictions. A very Tarantino-esque film because of it's effective graphic displays and moral representations.
  19. MichaelB.
    Apr 1, 2005
    The visual aspect of the movie would have been enough, but the created atmosphere fuses noir and comic books in a way I'd never seen before. And, yes, Jessica Alba is absolutely compelling. Yes, I know that nothing I say here isn't echoing the sentiments of other reviewers, but I did want to counteract (as best I could) some of the negative reviews. Some professional movie The visual aspect of the movie would have been enough, but the created atmosphere fuses noir and comic books in a way I'd never seen before. And, yes, Jessica Alba is absolutely compelling. Yes, I know that nothing I say here isn't echoing the sentiments of other reviewers, but I did want to counteract (as best I could) some of the negative reviews. Some professional movie critics seem to be astoundingly bitter people... Expand
  20. williamo.
    Apr 21, 2005
    Ground breaking, gutsy, mind-boggeling...oozing originality.
  21. JohnW.
    Incredible adaptation.
  22. ScottJ
    Apr 2, 2005
    Wow. What can I say. A little over 2 hours later and i'm in awe. Addicted. If there was another showing after the 12:40 am show i saw i would buy another ticket. Absoluetly beautiful!! Cinematography is outstanding. Acting from everyone, including Alba and Murphy were flawless. Script was a perfect blend, not too sappy, not predictable. It was funny, and witty. This will be on Wow. What can I say. A little over 2 hours later and i'm in awe. Addicted. If there was another showing after the 12:40 am show i saw i would buy another ticket. Absoluetly beautiful!! Cinematography is outstanding. Acting from everyone, including Alba and Murphy were flawless. Script was a perfect blend, not too sappy, not predictable. It was funny, and witty. This will be on peoples minds for a while. Round of applause for Robert Rodriquez and Frank Miller. A+++ Expand
  23. McLayneB.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Visually stunning, unlike anything that has come out of hollywood in years. Not the greatest story, but the way in which the movie is done, the creative and fearless violence and subject matter makes it a must see.
  24. VinceH.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Not the best movie of 2005, but certainly the best major studio movie of 2005 and DEFINITELY the best Robert Rodriguez movie ever, who I've never been a fan of (sans Spy Kids). This movie is brilliant and provides the type of kinetic cinematic experience we usually have to wait every 4 years for from QT. Go see it. It is definitely the best movie playing at your multiplex.
  25. Mike&HilaryBilodeau
    WOW!!!
  26. JamesD.
    Apr 2, 2005
    On one hand the film is clearly a triumph of style over substance while on the other it is a door opening to the future. The writing needs to be better. While Miller's writing is outstanding "for a comic illustrator" - he lacks the punch of a serious noir writer.
  27. Herby
    Apr 3, 2005
    A true original. Will see it again and again. Hope to see MORE coloboration between Miller and Rodriguez.
  28. JasonP.
    Apr 4, 2005
    Most creative and interesting movie I've seen in quite a while. Nicely captured Frank Miller's tone and mythical caricatures.
  29. FFenster
    Phenomenal!
  30. PJ
    Apr 4, 2005
    The first part of the three part series is the strongest, but the visuals and the world the movie creates make this a very interesting experience.
  31. ZachR
    Apr 8, 2005
    That was a great "flick" as Robert Rodriguez would have you call it. It stayed absolutely true to the original comics. My favorite story was The Big Fat Kill, and Clive Owen did a great job with Dwight. The visual style was amazing!
  32. ArnoldH.
    Apr 8, 2005
    A visually astonishing and endlessly absorbing movie. I can't wait to see it again, and look forward to owning it on DVD so I can linger over it and appreciate it even more.
  33. BigZDAWG
    Apr 9, 2005
    I thought this movie was very interesting and cool, but it didn
  34. KarlM.
    Jun 6, 2005
    What the cinema was made for.... but why all the empty seats when the film has only been open for 2 days? Go see it NOW!
  35. IanS.
    Jun 9, 2005
    This is ART this is NEW. why can't some people get it! I think it's one of the best movies of the year.
  36. GiulianoL.
    Jul 30, 2005
    Fenomenal! wonderful, who gives under than 9 for this film does not like cinema. believe - me Take off the breath, a trip that if attends with fascinates and that cause giddiness (is half hipnótico, you none is loaded for history without resistance, it seems a feverish delirium), The best movie of the century.
  37. TerrtT.
    Aug 18, 2005
    People who say this movie has no depth, It's based on a comic! This movie is not ment to be taken seriously. This is one of the few movies I have seen that was 2 hours long, and when it ended it left me feeling like is was a common length film. The time passes nicely, and it left me satisfied. If you like a good simple movie to enjoy...don't walk, run and rent this!
  38. JoeyK.
    Sep 8, 2005
    This movie truly was a masterpeice. It was entertaining and interesting. It was gorey, but in no way simply for the sake of gore. You can clearly see the comic book in the film. It's very well done in a unique style.I just can't beleive William Arnold thought so low of it. I don't say this much about these types of stylistic, modern art type things, but this movie really This movie truly was a masterpeice. It was entertaining and interesting. It was gorey, but in no way simply for the sake of gore. You can clearly see the comic book in the film. It's very well done in a unique style.I just can't beleive William Arnold thought so low of it. I don't say this much about these types of stylistic, modern art type things, but this movie really was extrodanarily done, and it's great entertainment all the way through. Expand
  39. GeorgeH.
    Apr 6, 2007
    It would seem campy if it weren't so visually advanced, but the campiness combined with the CGI actually makes for an unforgettable combination.
  40. LJM
    Jan 18, 2008
    When I saw Sin City I was blown away by the pace and style that it had. The film not only had an artistic style that has never been seen before in cinema but also strong stories as well as a great cast of characters who, over the course of the film, you care about and support as the film runs its course. The film has a deeply dark tone but also a great humane quality about it. Heres When I saw Sin City I was blown away by the pace and style that it had. The film not only had an artistic style that has never been seen before in cinema but also strong stories as well as a great cast of characters who, over the course of the film, you care about and support as the film runs its course. The film has a deeply dark tone but also a great humane quality about it. Heres hoping Sin City 2 is soon produced. Expand
  41. ClifC
    Mar 9, 2009
    The epitome of sadistic movies. And it was good that way. The trash, the sadism and the cruelty actually gave the film a sense to the non-sensed and nutcase plot. Extraordinary visuals too. The negative point goes to the cast with all the Hollywood stars. I'd prefer less famous actors.
  42. JoshW.
    Mar 29, 2005
    Probably the best comic adaptation ever.
  43. LamarL.
    Apr 1, 2005
    M going to see again saturday.
  44. Jao
    Apr 1, 2005
    haven't had this much fun in a theatre since Snatch.
  45. Tony
    Apr 1, 2005
    Great gun fights, and visually thrilling!
  46. LucasO.
    Very Good.
  47. CarlosE.
    Apr 1, 2005
    I didn't want to give it a ten but it is the only score i could justify. I thought of giving it a nine for the sake of appearances but it was better than a nine even though I'm sure i'll find something to gripe about after seeing it a dozen times (which i invariably will). This movie had me mesmerized the whole way through.
  48. AlanS.
    Apr 1, 2005
    You can see the Tarintino influence, but this is a near perfect "graphic novel" transformed into a movie, even the over the top narration fits the style.
  49. TomM.
    Apr 1, 2005
    The comic adaptation genre has a new movie on which to aspire to. That movie is Sin City. I've not read the books but I am a deep comic background and this movie was a comic come to life. Each screen shot could be cut and paste into a comic book/graphic novel. Big time Tarantino influence from the look to the music. One can only hope that this movie makes mega bucks and that The comic adaptation genre has a new movie on which to aspire to. That movie is Sin City. I've not read the books but I am a deep comic background and this movie was a comic come to life. Each screen shot could be cut and paste into a comic book/graphic novel. Big time Tarantino influence from the look to the music. One can only hope that this movie makes mega bucks and that hollywood finally finally finally realizes that the way to do these movies is to stay true to the source material. I don't give 10's very easily... that is reserved for the Casablanca's, but this was a very good movie, the top of its genre, and the creators deserve praise for putting this together in the manner that they did. Expand
  50. Sean
    Apr 15, 2005
    This movie is amazing in both its visuals and dialogue. Anyone who calls it misogynistic or too violent is clearly permanently stuck in living in the eighties. Negative critics of the film are exactly why there are so many rehashed romantic comedies out there today. The bold risks and ingenuity found in the film should be rewarded, not punished.
  51. MeganO.
    Apr 1, 2005
    Beautifully made, visually gorgeous with plot twists that aren't too predictible.... but VIOLENCE and BLOOD and GORE prevail. I left feeling sick to my stomach, and some images are still haunting me.
  52. JamesW
    Apr 17, 2005
    Very good - the cinematography was amazing and it's groundbreaking from a visual standopoint. I went with a couple of people and discussed how terrifying the movie was - particularly the Kevin/Marv (Elijah Wood/Mickey Rourke) segments. The brutality verges on excessive and IMHO the violence is on-par with A Clockwork Orange. Another viewer mentioned that he felt the violence was more Very good - the cinematography was amazing and it's groundbreaking from a visual standopoint. I went with a couple of people and discussed how terrifying the movie was - particularly the Kevin/Marv (Elijah Wood/Mickey Rourke) segments. The brutality verges on excessive and IMHO the violence is on-par with A Clockwork Orange. Another viewer mentioned that he felt the violence was more disturbing and compelling as shot by Rodriguez & Miller than it may have been in a more conventionally-shot movie ("we're desensitized to that, but this movie is so different that the violence hits differently"). Both the women that I went with were totally turned off by the movie and felt it was too voilent. Expand
  53. CookieB.
    Apr 10, 2005
    Totally Awesome!!
  54. elmoco
    Apr 2, 2005
    Near-perfect adaptaion of a classic graphic novel.....i don't think i will ever look at mustard again wihout thinking of Yellow Bastard.
  55. KhushbuD.
    Apr 2, 2005
    Simply amazing!!! Right from the very first scene till the end. I do sniff a sequel to this in future. But it is a must watch for those who are fan of Quentin's.
  56. eriK
    Apr 2, 2005
    No critisizing or discussing the adaptation since it was almost a flawless transfer. The only weaknesses stem from the source material then, and Big Fat Kill had too many weaknesses already. The film could only have been better in my mind if it hadn't included that story. Otherwise seeing one of my favorite stories of all time (Marv's) put on screen so perfectly leaves me No critisizing or discussing the adaptation since it was almost a flawless transfer. The only weaknesses stem from the source material then, and Big Fat Kill had too many weaknesses already. The film could only have been better in my mind if it hadn't included that story. Otherwise seeing one of my favorite stories of all time (Marv's) put on screen so perfectly leaves me without words to describe it. Expand
  57. Hades
    Apr 2, 2005
    It really pains me to NOT be able to give Sin City a higher score than this, as I'd anticipated its release for quite some time now. Unfortunately, now that my experience with it has come and gone I can honestly say I was less than impressed overall. The visuals, of course, are enthralling, however, they seem somewhat sparingly used to their full effect. That may add to the It really pains me to NOT be able to give Sin City a higher score than this, as I'd anticipated its release for quite some time now. Unfortunately, now that my experience with it has come and gone I can honestly say I was less than impressed overall. The visuals, of course, are enthralling, however, they seem somewhat sparingly used to their full effect. That may add to the enticement they provide by only giving you small doses, but I felt they could have explored the possibilities a bit more (a clever scene with Del Toro's character, which exhibits how tantalizing the color/black and white pairings ~could~ have been, is a fine example, as is the Yellow Bastard character..) Granted, the film succeeds on being incredibly unique. However.. as others have said.. once you've acquired the taste for Sin City, you'll likely leave the theater disgusted. The content of the film is simply too overwhelming to want to experience more than once. I admire morbid humor, and am entertained by violence when it is stylistically presented. Unfortunately, Sin City pissed on the line before leaping over it head-first, all while flipping me off and pumping me full of lead. A bit extreme. Expand
  58. AlexM
    Apr 21, 2005
    I am not going to repeat what many critics and other have said about this great movie. What are these people who trash the movie on?? The violence?? I've seen worse and being exposed to Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theatre at 9 years old started the desensitization. Great movie, should have been rated R!! Austin Powers anyone?? After the year to year blitzkreig of PG13 movies, it I am not going to repeat what many critics and other have said about this great movie. What are these people who trash the movie on?? The violence?? I've seen worse and being exposed to Raiders of the Lost Ark in the theatre at 9 years old started the desensitization. Great movie, should have been rated R!! Austin Powers anyone?? After the year to year blitzkreig of PG13 movies, it was great to have something i wanted to see rated R and have it be great. There's a reason Ben Stiller is in countless movies, there are sequels to movies like Bad Boys, and why Anchorman was made. There are people out there who like those kind of movies. So as long as those kinds of films are being made, I do hope more great R rated movies will be made as well. Just a question. Why the hell is Batman Begins PG13?!?! Expand
  59. BobB.
    Best Movie Ever!!!
  60. RonaldT
    Apr 25, 2005
    Knew the storyline - knew the spoilers - knew all about the gore - expected it to suck. Still went to see it because a friend wanted to. Have to say I really enjoyed it. If you're not put off by excessive violence, give it a chance. I think this film easily falls into the "love it or hate it" category.
  61. MatthewF.
    Apr 3, 2005
    I really enjoyed this movie. Mind you, if you are the queasy type, you might want to think twice about seeing this movie. As with other Tarantino inspired flicks, the blood flows freely. This movie had me saying "wow" through-out. Great Job.
  62. H.Carter
    Apr 3, 2005
    I think if you don't get this movie, just like Pulp Fiction, you're really going to hate it. But so far, I think it's safe to say that a majority of people get it (like most people did with Pulp Fiction). The Neo-Noir, ultra stylized, ultra-violent theme is translated perfectly from Frank Miller's graphic novels. There are underlying stories here that literally are I think if you don't get this movie, just like Pulp Fiction, you're really going to hate it. But so far, I think it's safe to say that a majority of people get it (like most people did with Pulp Fiction). The Neo-Noir, ultra stylized, ultra-violent theme is translated perfectly from Frank Miller's graphic novels. There are underlying stories here that literally are Shakespearean (King Lear) as well as just a straight love of 50s Film Noir. It's great to see someone (Robert Rodriguez) swing for the fences and actually hit a home run. Easily one of the better movies I've seen in quite some time. Bravo. Expand
  63. Devin
    Apr 3, 2005
    Great acting, directing, cast, visuals, and audio. It followed the comic books almost word for word, which I liked. Overall a very good movie hands down one of my favorite.
  64. RyanH.
    Apr 3, 2005
    As a reader of the graphic novel I have to say that this movie is the best comic book movie ever made because it stays so true to the books themselves. Everyone who gives this movie a bad review has no respect for both art forms (film and comics) nor do they have respect for fantasy itself.
  65. DillB.
    Apr 3, 2005
    This has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. With its visuals and its huge cast with the fantastic stories mixed in with some of the most grusome visuals that you will ever see, I would have to say that this movie is perfect.
  66. CharlieB.
    This movie is amazing!
  67. TerryD.
    Apr 4, 2005
    Most perfect adaptation from paper to screen ever.
  68. BrianS.
    Apr 4, 2005
    Those saying that this movie limits it's audience because of the styling, well no kidding. It was made for the fans of the series and pretty much for no one else. It's a direct adaptation of the series and that is because you cant make a faithful comic book movie and at the same time have it be good for all naive audiences. It's either one or the other, this time someone Those saying that this movie limits it's audience because of the styling, well no kidding. It was made for the fans of the series and pretty much for no one else. It's a direct adaptation of the series and that is because you cant make a faithful comic book movie and at the same time have it be good for all naive audiences. It's either one or the other, this time someone finally chose to make a faithful rendition of a graphic novel. The movie was by far the best adaptation of a graphic novel to date. Expand
  69. ChrisH.
    Apr 5, 2005
    Excellent realization of Miller's comic on film. The plot could have had more depth but the surface and the texture is really what the film is all about. Bravo!
  70. DwightV.
    Apr 6, 2005
    Whoa this movie is awesome. It was unpredictable, funny and crazy. It's one of those movies you have to watch twice to get what it's about.
  71. PonR.
    Apr 6, 2005
    Sin City was way more than I expected. It's powerful and provocative without being either a feel good movie or morbidly Se7en-esque. Nitty, gritty, Machiavellian, Darwinian. I was never big on noir, but this film does for the genre what Star Wars (the original trilogy) did for sci-fi.
  72. MisterThomYorke
    Apr 7, 2005
    [***SPOILERS***] Warning Spoilers: To answer Edward's question: Josh Hartnett's character at the beginning and end was a hitman. That's why he killed the woman at the beginning (he was "going to cash her check tomorrow"), and at the end he was hired by the hookers to kill that chick for betraying them. She looked scared because she knew who he was and what he was there to[***SPOILERS***] Warning Spoilers: To answer Edward's question: Josh Hartnett's character at the beginning and end was a hitman. That's why he killed the woman at the beginning (he was "going to cash her check tomorrow"), and at the end he was hired by the hookers to kill that chick for betraying them. She looked scared because she knew who he was and what he was there to do. Great movie if you ask me. Reminded me of "The Maxx" cartoon from MTV a few years back. Expand
  73. JeffL.
    Apr 7, 2005
    Pulp Fiction meets Tales From the Crypt (meets Sam Fuller, Stan Lee, David Lynch, and God-knows-who-else) in this ambitious, visually stunning realization of Frank Miller's graphic novels set in a dark, blood-soaked, noirish city populated by world-weary cops, bad-ass crooks, hookers without hearts of gold, corrupt clergymen, and the occasional cannibal. Director Robert Pulp Fiction meets Tales From the Crypt (meets Sam Fuller, Stan Lee, David Lynch, and God-knows-who-else) in this ambitious, visually stunning realization of Frank Miller's graphic novels set in a dark, blood-soaked, noirish city populated by world-weary cops, bad-ass crooks, hookers without hearts of gold, corrupt clergymen, and the occasional cannibal. Director Robert Rodriguez's astonishing panel-by-panel recreation of Miller's work (he even controversially credits Miller as co-director) is unlike anything else ever filmed; its rich black-and-white images punctuated by well-chosen splashes of color (green eyes, splatters of red blood, even a bad guy who's a literal Yellow Bastard.) But for all of Rodriguez's inventiveness and visual dazzle, I was only truly knocked out by one of the film's intertwining stories: the one featuring Mickey Rourke in a sensational comeback performance as Marv, a seemingly indestructible tough guy with a Rondo Hatton face who wakes up to discover that the dame he loves was murdered even as he slept next to her. It's a classic noir situation that escalates to dizzyingly over-the-top comic heights (involving the aforementioned cannibal, whose brilliant casting I shall not give away) without losing our basic sympathy for Marv. The other segments are just as visually arresting, but I grew a bit worn down by their weaker stories and characters, which made the film's 126 minutes seem long despite the frenetic pace and tons of sex and violence. The best comic book movies - Superman II, the 1989 Batman, both Spider-Man movies, even Road to Perdition - may not recreate their creators' work in quite so literal a fashion, but their emotional core and well-modulated perfomances still make them more engaging and rewarding films. Expand
  74. WhoC.
    Apr 8, 2005
    What is the problem...It's just a movie based on a comic! Was it entertaining?..Yes!
  75. johnp.
    Apr 8, 2005
    Almost everything you need in a movie is in this movie.
  76. GaborA.
    Apr 8, 2005
    (7.5) I knew the directing was going to be top notch walking in. It would come down to the story and dialogue. In that respect it was a mixed bag. Some of the plot was clever other stories where ridiculous. Some dialogue witty or poetic other times laughably corny. Then again Mickey Rourke is in it and hes the freaking man.
  77. Wongit
    May 1, 2005
    Amazing. One spectacular looking film. Great casting, great characters, great dialogue. The Characters really fit into their roles. Great action scenes, violent to the max. One hell of a movie.
  78. ShaunB.
    May 12, 2005
    Visually one of the most impresive films I've ever seen.
  79. MatthewB.
    May 19, 2005
    The best movie in 2005 so far. One of the very few movies, if any, to go into the characters' internal conflicts and thoughts, giving SIn City an unusual style. The unique visual detail and characters communicating more to the screen rather than to each other breaks most rules of how movies are made. It sort of has that Pulp Fiction storyline to it where it may be hard to understand The best movie in 2005 so far. One of the very few movies, if any, to go into the characters' internal conflicts and thoughts, giving SIn City an unusual style. The unique visual detail and characters communicating more to the screen rather than to each other breaks most rules of how movies are made. It sort of has that Pulp Fiction storyline to it where it may be hard to understand by some, but loved by others. Fortunately, this, for me, was one of the greats. Expand
  80. evee.
    Jun 12, 2005
    Gritty, stylish and ultra-violent.
  81. KrisS
    Jun 14, 2005
    Superb movie. Great entertainment and filming technique. When it comes to the violence: It underlines the mentality of the city and makes the movie complete.
  82. RJS.
    Jun 5, 2005
    Definitely the first best movie of 2005.
  83. Aleksi
    Jun 5, 2005
    It's perfect. Every frame of it.
  84. GarethC.
    Jun 6, 2005
    This movie has a real WOW factor. The artwork and the characters bring a graphic novel to life. And graphic it is! There is a generous helping of violence, which can get a bit much, but you get consumed by great action and cool storytelling! If you can stomach the violence, you'll love this one.
  85. TheElusivePossom
    Jun 7, 2005
    Here lies an example of such an imaginative context such as graphic novel to film conversion can work sublimely. I saw this film, having no idea of the plot or its comic book background, and was blown away. The use of a black-and-white pallette, with splashes of colour where appropriate, is truly masterful in enhancing the mood of the movie. The progression is action-packed, and the Here lies an example of such an imaginative context such as graphic novel to film conversion can work sublimely. I saw this film, having no idea of the plot or its comic book background, and was blown away. The use of a black-and-white pallette, with splashes of colour where appropriate, is truly masterful in enhancing the mood of the movie. The progression is action-packed, and the characters instantly likeable (Elijah Wood's role as Kevin is particularly imaginative). There are plenty of plot twists thrown into the mix, and a few loose ends that I can only imagine will be tied up in the sequal in 2007. Other points of merit include the OTT and occasionally cringeworthy for level (hold on to your nuts) and I can't think of another movie featuring as many gorgeous women, whom frequently appear nude, exposing the perfection of their bodacious fruit. Incredible. Expand
  86. Tonydannie
    Jul 12, 2005
    By Far Robert Rodrguez best film that he has ever been involved in. I never heard of Frank Miller up until now. But hey I love this mans style. The film opening scene grabbed me and the film never let me loose. The stories were all great. And the photography was beyond words. This movie is definitely one of the best films of the year. And Rourke's acting..... oscar worthy!
  87. JonH.
    Jul 15, 2005
    I was never a comics fan, but loved this movie. I am however, a Robert Rodriguez fan, and like his other works, this movie is carried off with gusto and panache. The visual style is orignial and compelling.
  88. Julia
    Jul 23, 2005
    I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie! I love this movie!!!!!
  89. RobbyT.
    Aug 16, 2005
    Film noir n. -A movie characterized by low-key lighting, a bleak urban setting, and corrupt, cynical characters. -The genre or style of such movies. [French : black] check, check, check.
  90. JA
    Aug 17, 2005
    Amazing, wholly orginal movie -- a real breathe of fresh air. If only more directors could be this creative. The only downside is that the movie gets a bit repetitive during the second act. As the guy from Rolling Stone said: "Too much of a good thing." And indeed, it is good.
  91. TonyC.
    Aug 18, 2005
    This movie was great. It was exciting and the visuals were great. The fact that all of the live action was filmed on a green is not even apparent. The actors' actions are believable. The characters are memorable and this movie begs to be watch more than once. The film is "film noir" at it's absolute greatest.
  92. JW
    Aug 23, 2005
    Frickin Amazing!!!! A couple of bad lines and bad props (the gold eye) wont even make you flinch. This is the closest think to true piece of art I have ever seen.
  93. JonL
    Sep 2, 2005
    One of the best movies I have ever seen. It was amazingly directed and so unique. The fact that there is so many hotty's in it helps, but it was the visual aspect that really impressed me. This movie in 100% getting bought.
  94. SamX.
    Apr 1, 2006
    The film has an excellent atmosphere and feel. The film-noir style which is achieved makes the movie all the more brilliant. It is a seamless adaptation of some of Frank Miller's comic books. Unless you're squeamish and can't stand the sight of blood and gore, it's a must-see. The dialogue is delivered smoothly and effectively. The film defines 'cool', not by The film has an excellent atmosphere and feel. The film-noir style which is achieved makes the movie all the more brilliant. It is a seamless adaptation of some of Frank Miller's comic books. Unless you're squeamish and can't stand the sight of blood and gore, it's a must-see. The dialogue is delivered smoothly and effectively. The film defines 'cool', not by the strippers and hard-men, but by their surroundings, the musical score, the monochorome~colour effects employed and visual style. Expand
  95. ClarisseP.
    Jun 12, 2006
    One of the best movie ever made ! I can't wait to see Sin City 2!
  96. MiguelO.
    Jul 3, 2006
    The best movie that tells diffrent life stories throug the eyes of others who try to survive the wild life in Sin City. This movie has great fighting scenes and great effects. Robert Rodriguez really outdone himself in this movie
  97. Rayo
    Mar 10, 2007
    If you dont appreciate and really love this movie you are pathetic, maybe you know it or maybe you dont, but trust me... you are, either that or your IQ is waaaay too low.
  98. JimA.
    May 4, 2007
    This film is the perfect example of a perfect acting and directing. At first I believed that it would be one more usual movie which is totally different from the comic but when I saw it I changed my mind completely. The transfer from the comic is excellent and as fantastic is the comic so fantastic is the movie. Frank Miller remains the best!
  99. [Anonmous]
    Jun 30, 2007
    To say this movie is just visually appealing is wrong. Everything is appealing. This movie took me on a ride to and what I saw I was not disappointed with. Wow
  100. ChristosN.
    Oct 15, 2005
    Just amazing... I'm stunned... The cinematography is unbelievable! One of the best movies I've seen in years.

The most visually inventive comic book adaptation to make its way to a movie screen.
  2. Eye-popping yet ultimately thin and shallow as a page in a graphic novel.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For geeks, action freaks and sensation-seeking teenage boys of all ages, the price of admission will provide a one-way ticket to hard-boiled heaven.