7.9

1. May 24, 2013
    Spilt into chapters Sin City is a faithful adaptation of three of Frank Millers violent, but brilliantly written, Sin City stories. Shot largely in black and white using Millers graphic novels as story boards director Rodriguez has been able to create a visual feast the likes of which still hasn't been matched.

Fortunately the stories themselves are able to match the visuals with each
    of the three fast-paced and engaging chapters providing truly memorable heroes and villains that take full advantage of the impressively talented cast. An all out success just sit back and enjoy two hours of fantastic entertainment. Expand
  2. Aug 14, 2011
    I loved the way the it is presented; a pulp noir thing. I never read the comic so I really didn't know what I was in for when I decided to watch this and I am glad I did. The violence is a bit over the top but it's no big deal, it acts as part of the city helping boost the fact that it's 'Sin City'
  3. Jul 15, 2014
    After watching Sin City for the first time it would be a huge understatement to say that I am excited for "A Dame to Kill For" later this year! This movie was plain awesome! Everything from the fantastic characters, the interwoven story lines and the down right jaw dropping visual style; everything was almost exactly how it should be! I can honestly say that this is the first comic book films I have seen where the pages were not only adapted but truly brought to life! Expand
  4. Jun 12, 2014
    The sheer faithfulness of the movie to the comic book series is evident, and has my respect from before the movie even begins. The stylized neo-noir color, cinematography, and editing is added with stellar acting and an actual plot. The violence is turned into its own art form, which up until this film, I only thought Tarantino could pull off.
  5. Jul 21, 2014
    Sin City is grisly, violent, and over-the-top in all the best ways. The stunning cinematography, taught direction, and electrifying script make it one of the best modern film noirs.
  6. Aug 7, 2014
    One of the most visually stunning, brutal, dark, and all around best comic book/graphic novel movies out there. "Sin City" is an absolutely fascinating world. It's filled with sick, twisted, and screwed up characters. Even each of the films heroes aren't immune to this fact. They're all unhinged in some way.

It's a gripping movie. One that should be seen by any fan of noir-esque tales.
    It's smart, violent, and at times absolutely demented. It's absolute brilliance all around and a must watch. I give it a total score of 9.8/10-Amazing. Expand
  7. Feb 10, 2012
    This didn't affected me too much while i was watching but after a 2 or 3 days, i noticed that i kept thinking about this and then i realized how an epic experience this movie was. I actually watched it because of Jessica Alba, but i couldn't believe it would be that good. Comments? Come on guys, if you give this movie anything lower than 5, then it is your problem. Cast is already full with stars: Jessica, Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke and even Michael Clarke Duncan bro...Noir Crime movies is not something seen common in Hollywood (i dont even remember another Noir Crime other than Max Payne Movie) Watch it and you will love it... Expand
  8. Aug 1, 2013
    Another breakthrough in cinema comes in the form of Sin City, a film brimming with so much drama, flare, excitement and beauty that it will ultimately be one of the defining, unforgettable and dramatic pieces of modern cinema that explores and discovers new ground, and brings the comic to movie adaption scenario to a whole new level. The film is told through various stories based on Frank Millar's comic book series, the man who also directed the film along with Robert Rodriguez, and a special credit for Quentin Tarantino, along with an ensemble cast that have the pleasure of taking part in such a unique film.
    We have Bruce Willis playing an ageing cop with heart problems, who struggles to do his duty, while in another story we have a heavily make-upped Mickey Rourke playing Marv, a man on the hunt for the person who killed his mistress in the night, and he will not let anyone stand in his way, good or bad. The large cast which also includes Jessica Alba, Josh Hartnett, the late Brittany Murphy, Elijah Wood and Michael Madsen, all play very versatile and intriguing parts, and to my understanding this is more a "translation" than an adaption, as it is very close to the comics. These actors and actresses really throw themselves into the roles, particularly Mickey Rourke as the larger than life Marv, and also Clive Owen, a mysterious man helping out a town of prostitutes.
    The statement of the film and its faithful translation of the comic series is visually true on screen, when we see the graphic content and the neo-noir effect used entirely throughout the film, where it is predominately black and white save for certain colours such as blood and lipstick.
    This unique and edgy form of filming is magnificent and full of gore, with an exaggerated and out of this world form of violence. Its a real delight when a film like this comes along, combining the power of technology and of course, the imagination, to create a very singular and unorthodox film that never quits being surprising, innovative and most of all, fun.
    The film is one of historical significance in terms of its groundbreaking style of filming, but it is also well written and can be summed up in various aways, a crime film, a thriller but also a very brutal and imaginative tale, a must see for comic book and film fans alike.
  9. Jul 26, 2012
    "Sin City" is much more than a gory, stylized flick, it actually has a story and plot and, well, everything else. Shot in a gritty black and white background with highlighted shades of red and yellow, this is one hell of a movie. And believe me, it has such style.
  10. Oct 7, 2013
    Easily one of the best comic book movies is so goddamn awesome so many awesome characters and such an amazing setting worth all the moneys 10/10 so much goddamn good
  11. Jul 24, 2013
    One my favorite comic adapts. I still think its one of the best. Great black and white noir look mixed with fantasy elements. Each character almost more over the top than the next. The only thing is I thought they should have done the long goodbye last because it was strongest of the stories and the best performances are in that story. The other stories are good but nothing quiet lives up to Mickey Rourke's turn as the revenge for the hooker with a heart gold..Goldy... Expand
  12. Jan 2, 2013
    Extreme brutality and violence, visually-arresting cinematography, and nothing short of pure genius. Remarkable crime thriller neo-noir based on Frank Miller's graphic comic novel series. Directed by Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller, there wasn't a screenplay written for the film, and instead they approached the filming as a translation. This isn't an adaptation of a comic book, it's like a comic book brought to life and pumped with steroids. The movie is based on three of the "Sin City" stories which works perfectly for a two hour film. There are big time actors in the movie (Bruce Willis, Clive Owen, Mickey Rourke), but there is no lead role so much as actors who dominate the foreground and then move on. Fully digital, live action picture incorporating a technique of colorization while filmed in black and white. To say that this is the best comic book to movie adaptation I've ever seen would be an understatement. Expand
  13. Mar 9, 2013
    Its on my list for one of the best movies of all time, Sin City grabs audiences in on all levels whether its humor or its satisfying style of thrilling violence. Rodriguez at his absolute best.
  14. Aug 24, 2013
    This is a rather unique film that some will not like, but according to most everyone has loved it! It's very creative and visually looks stunning, and is lead by a strong all-star cast. We follow three 'heroes' with interwoven stories all in Sin City itself, each with their own strong points. The graphics are what make this film unique as well as the selective choice for the colour of blood, etc. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and those with a open mind should do the same Expand
  15. Jan 17, 2013
    This film is extremely disturbing: the violence is gruesome, the plot is dark, and a lot of the scenes/themes are vile, but that's what a graphic novel is! Despite loving the direction of the film, I was heavily disturbed (in particularly the Last Jessica Alba scene), but while I was ringing at the horrific images all I could think was how generally excellent this film is.
  16. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Comic book movies have usually been the big hitters, like Batman, Superman, and the Marvel heroes. Today is the exception with Sin city. I never heard of it, and I never knew that this was based off a comic book, in fact the menu for the DVD tells you by itself. Not that I'm judging it differently now that I know it was based off a comic, but I can definitely see nods and ideas that comics themselves would take. Sin city is the dark noir; add salt and salt, view of three people: a cop, I think a detective, and a loser; persay. Each tale is told well in their own way, showing off the grittiness of the everyday city some us walk through everyday; if you lived in Chicago at least, and is told by unique and interesting people. Bruce wills plays a cop; stop me if you heard this before, and is hunting down a serial pedophile, he does good in not making his role too extreme or boring, just the right I'd say. Mickey Rourk does an awesome job of playing the bad ass Marv, I said earlier that he was a loser, but that was only figuratively. The last I guy I don't know, he's okay he definitely sells me on the character he's trying to play, but his monotone voice is rather boring. The stories are divided well and purposely don't tie into each other, which is good so that it doesn't get confusing. I mean a character will see another one from another tale, but it doesn't mean anything. Finally I conclude with saying this is one of the best comic book movies out there, near the dark knight, but not close. Expand
  17. Jan 12, 2014
    Ever thought you'd actually like a movie with a heavily used up "Detective's POV" style of progression? From this century? Well think again! A surreal, visually stunning Neo-noir by the legend himself - teaming alongside the likes Tarantino and Rodriguez - entertainment couldn't possibly get any better than this.
  18. chw
    Jul 17, 2014
    Sin City was absolutely amazing! Just like the comic book, the movie's format of colour is incredible, with very descriptive narration from all four stories' main characters, who acted extremely well.
  19. Apr 5, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "Sin City" is a very good movie with intense action. It really goes all in on showing how bad the crime scene is there. I especially like the narrative point of view character's in it. I also like that in the movie there are no limits in how bad the crimes really are at all. It does a great job in delivering certain items or people to be different color from the rest to point them out. The cast does a great job especially Clive Owen in his performance. Overall this is a dark movie, with violence and corruption which is what the movie is supposed to represent and they do an excellent job at it. Expand
  20. Jul 18, 2014
    Robert Rodriguez has made some good and bad films in his career, so one has the right to be unsure of whether to see this film or not. However, the very appealing cast persuaded me to watch 'Sin City', and I'm very glad I did. The cast were excellent, the dialogue strong (although sometimes a little cheesy, which I didn't mind) and the effects were breathtakingly brilliant.

It is
    stylistic, sometimes funny, well-acted and all together, a fantastic film. An absolute 'must-see'! Expand

The most visually inventive comic book adaptation to make its way to a movie screen.
  2. Eye-popping yet ultimately thin and shallow as a page in a graphic novel.
  3. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    For geeks, action freaks and sensation-seeking teenage boys of all ages, the price of admission will provide a one-way ticket to hard-boiled heaven.