Paramount Pictures | Release Date: September 17, 2004
6.9
Generally favorable reviews based on 226 Ratings
WATCH NOW
AlistairJan 22, 2006
I love this movie. I have to admit it's main appeal is visual with the wonderful sci-fi deco retro design. The opening sequences with the berthing of the Hindenberg in the snow are beautiful. The scatter-gun plot captures the feel of I love this movie. I have to admit it's main appeal is visual with the wonderful sci-fi deco retro design. The opening sequences with the berthing of the Hindenberg in the snow are beautiful. The scatter-gun plot captures the feel of classic 30s/40s movie serials (the same ground that Star Wars mined so successfully) well. Sure its a bit silly but it's a great achievement. This is the way of the futrure: marries the capabilities of CGI with human actors. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
morfilJun 27, 2013
I had not read about the movie before watching it and was fascinated within the first several minutes and continued to enjoy it through to the end. This movie's unique look and feel is its primary vehicle.

If you are looking for a

If you are looking for a sophisticated plot, this movie was not made for you. The plot and acting were adequate enough to avoid ruining the visual picture. The makers applied a comic book feel to the movie that allowed for softer edges and sepia tones, both with the animated sets and the human characters. If a set does not look completely realistic, the viewer is not troubled because the set is consistent with everything you see in the movie.
AndrewK.Sep 21, 2004
Obviously this is another one of those love it or hate it films. I'm not a fan of action movies, but this really isn't an action movie. Its an homage to old cinema. I loved it. Sure a few things might not've made sense, but Obviously this is another one of those love it or hate it films. I'm not a fan of action movies, but this really isn't an action movie. Its an homage to old cinema. I loved it. Sure a few things might not've made sense, but its just supposed to be a fun film. And if you'd just sit back and stop picking at every little detail, you'd realize how much fun it is. This movie is meant to be simple in the way the films that inspired it were. Its silly. Its awesome. Its like nothing you've ever seen before. The visuals are fantastic. I loved every minute of it. The score was great. The actors were great, ESPECIALLY Gwyneth Paltrow, who got the "take-no-s..t" female reporter role dead on. One of the best actresses in Hollywood. Most people seem to have too high expectations for this movie to be "deep" or something. Why? That's not what its supposed to be. How could one even get that impression from the previews? And that Adam L. guy on here! What's his problem? He dares critique a movie he admits to falling asleep during? How dare he! For shame, sir! I bet you're the type that thinks "O Brother, Whereart Thou" was a great film. "O Brother" indeed! Expand
PaulI.May 23, 2007
Although the movie is visually stunning and the plot is constucted well, the conflict between the main chacter and the damsel in distress is somewhat annoying.
DonH.Nov 21, 2005
A wonderful tribute to the early sci-fi serials and movies. It
juliankennedy23Oct 26, 2014
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: 8/10: It was King Kong that made me fall in love with the movie. He doesn't appear himself (unlike ring mate Godzilla who cameos in silhouette in a Japanese newspaper.) but his ship and friends are thereSky Captain and the World of Tomorrow: 8/10: It was King Kong that made me fall in love with the movie. He doesn't appear himself (unlike ring mate Godzilla who cameos in silhouette in a Japanese newspaper.) but his ship and friends are there and his tree is there. You know the moss covered tree that covers the impossibly deep chasm. To one he uses to fling helpless sailors to there death like some kind of lumberjack games blood sport. There the tree is in glorious color just as I left it in the imagination of my seven-year old self.

I was enjoying myself up to that point mind you I had for one thing decided that this was an Anime rather than a regular film. (The giant robots make this illusion much more palatable as did an annoying performance by Miss Paltrow. In anime the female characters are almost always whining up a storm.) This allowed all the plot holes creative use of color and scientific flubs to fall by the wayside. I just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

Of note much has been made of the use of CGI but lets face it. It is simply easier to put CGI effects on an artificial background rather than place them in photo-realistic settings like the snakes of Anaconda: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid or the wolves in Day after Tomorrow have proved most recently.

Sure Sky Captain is far from perfect (an actual villain would have helped and been more in line with the serials it was emulating), but try telling that to the seven year old in me that kept saying "cool what's next".