4.8

1. Mar 27, 2015
    Was just shocked to find Slackers in the "bottom 50 movies of the century" list. This is a great comedy. It's definitely a b-movie, but it has a ton of laughs, and bizarre performances. My sister and I still quote this movie to this day.
  2. JoeB.
    Feb 3, 2002
    Ok, so I haven't seen the movie and actually just want to comment on what seems to be the incredible mob mentality exhibited by these professional critics. No independent thinkers here, huh. Or perhaps it's actually metacritic that is skewing their ratings, as the points values are subjectively assigned. In either case, I certainly feel superior knowing how completely offended I Ok, so I haven't seen the movie and actually just want to comment on what seems to be the incredible mob mentality exhibited by these professional critics. No independent thinkers here, huh. Or perhaps it's actually metacritic that is skewing their ratings, as the points values are subjectively assigned. In either case, I certainly feel superior knowing how completely offended I would be were I to see the flick. Expand
  3. BrianK.
    Jul 16, 2002
    Absolute garbage, I laughed twice..two times in 100 minutes now that would explain metacritic's 2 rating, so I would agree with it!
  4. KimM.
    Mar 6, 2003
    This film was great, an ideal for living :)
  5. LindaU.
    Jun 25, 2005
    I don't know why, but I actually like this movie. I'm not going to lie to any of you readers and actually tell you that it's a good movie -- it's not: the story is derivative, unoriginal, and badly constructed and it leaves much to be desired; there're too many disgusting gags; and the characters themselves are unlikable to say the least. However, there's I don't know why, but I actually like this movie. I'm not going to lie to any of you readers and actually tell you that it's a good movie -- it's not: the story is derivative, unoriginal, and badly constructed and it leaves much to be desired; there're too many disgusting gags; and the characters themselves are unlikable to say the least. However, there's something about this movie that seems to care less about being liked: it doesn't rely on fart jokes (it relies on gross sex jokes, instead -- the movie could've done very well without THOSE -- it probably would've gotten better reviews without those jokes); it doesn't aim to shamelessly please with stupid stock characters; it doesn't have hit actors trying to cash it in ('cept maybe the That '70 Show chick trying to stretch herself out); and it lacks the urge to try to paint this happy, unrealistic, and slapstick-reliant image of Life As We Know It. It basically refuses to be mainstream in any way as I know it. Sorry, but college is NOT fun -- it's just as flawed and pretentious as other era in one's person life, and movies like American Pie are designed to appeal to the status quo that thinks it's funny to pretend that college and post-college(or -high school, depending on how your life's turning out) IS The Four Best Years of Your Life. Why pretend? It's not! I don't why anyone, the movie critics or the moviegoers out there, want me to believe that this movie is irreparable crap, while pretentious, crowd-pleasing fluff like American Pie gets passed off as original entertainment for the 18-35 crowd. That, and Michael Maronna from "Pete & Pete" is in this. Seeing as how stuff like this has no chance of ever having or wanting universal appeal and would just rather be itself, I guess I just like this movie out of childish spite. :) Expand
  6. ChrisA.
    Mar 20, 2007
    This movie is amazing. It has great inside jokes and is bursting with awkwardness. Basically, if they had tried harder this film could not have been better. The only reason people don't like it is because they lack the creativty to identify with characters that have techniques such as "the seed of doubt." That is brilliant!
  7. WestonS.
    Feb 11, 2002
    Not comic genius, but definitely not as bad as everyone said. I laughed more than I scoffed. And it was original, too, in my opinion. Any movie with a hair doll is good in my book.
  8. JeffB.
    Feb 26, 2002
    Looked like they SLACKED off in the making of this movie.
  9. JakeT.
    Feb 6, 2002
    Who cares just how badly the critics hated this movie?? You thought it would be a hit with the critics, Chris? Let it go, my man, and just go see the damned thing. I had more than a few laughs with it...
  10. RossA.
    Aug 1, 2002
    Not a horrible movie, but not great. Jason Schwartzman definitely makes it more than a rating of of 1. Worth just seeing it to see him.
  11. MichaelR.
    Sep 22, 2002
    Maybe it's that I actually did work in college, but I feel that anyone with any inteligence could not and would not want to identify with the film's protagonist.
  12. PatM.
    Sep 28, 2002
    Great movie. cool ethan is a classic character and the trio is a winning combiniation. i laughed many times.
  13. JeremyM.
    Jan 13, 2003
    This was a great film. Good plot and very comical. I f...in laughed my damn ass off!! and i really like bums.
  14. AugustusG.
    Jan 6, 2003
    Three???? I'm sorry but really - parts of this movie were hilarious. I almost split my gut. Could it have been the pot?
  15. TheManyFacesOfGilbertMulroneycakes
    Jan 1, 2004
    Please stop giving it 10s. It's doing my head in. This is the movie most people think American Pie is. But the Pie has sweetness and characters who work in three-dimensions. This substitutes "sweet" for "grimy" and has characters that basically exist to absorb andor expel various bodily fluids. You'll feel like taking a BATH afterwards. And it's not even funny. Please, go Please stop giving it 10s. It's doing my head in. This is the movie most people think American Pie is. But the Pie has sweetness and characters who work in three-dimensions. This substitutes "sweet" for "grimy" and has characters that basically exist to absorb andor expel various bodily fluids. You'll feel like taking a BATH afterwards. And it's not even funny. Please, go and watch a Robert Altman film. Or a Paul Thomas Anderson, or a David O Russell. That's cinema. This is a geek show, without the effort or charm. Expand
  16. StephM.
    Jan 12, 2005
    My favorite movie ever.
  17. EvA.
    Nov 1, 2006
    This movie may be crude and limited, but looks at it's following. There is obviously a chemistry between the cast members that draws new fans with every viewing.
  18. EmilyJ.
    Nov 3, 2002
    I dont know whats wrong with everyone. this movie rules.
  19. TylerK.
    Jun 13, 2002
    I feal clean after seeing this move It makes me feel kim clean.
  20. deeeekchowdah
    Oct 29, 2003
    Screw all you haters!!!! If you didnt like this movie your a .... Come on!!! This is one of the best movies since Gone with the Wind. What the hell am are I talking about? : )
  21. Alicia
    Sep 26, 2004
    The sad thing is, this movie had great potential. With a little more care put into the script and the directing, it would have been great.
  22. PonR.
    Jun 15, 2005
    Yes, there are people who liked this movie. Yes, there are people who loved it. We call these people shallow. People who mistaken cheap teen pandering for a good film. The same people who listen to pop rock and watch Carson Daly while trying to be popular...in middle school. Seriously, if you can't see straight through this farce for what it is - a sad attempt at appealing to the Yes, there are people who liked this movie. Yes, there are people who loved it. We call these people shallow. People who mistaken cheap teen pandering for a good film. The same people who listen to pop rock and watch Carson Daly while trying to be popular...in middle school. Seriously, if you can't see straight through this farce for what it is - a sad attempt at appealing to the recently pubescent - you have no business trying to defend it on any level. Teen movies have a crappy rep as it is, but this one really does set a new low. Expand
  23. DyanaD.
    Nov 11, 2003
    I don't know about that person that said any intelligent person would not enjoy this movie, because i work hard at stuff..and am considered very intelligent, and i love this movie. it's just about sense of humor...random stuff is the best!

Overwhelming dislike - based on 28 Critics

The gags are familiar collegiate stuff, involving horny young men, horny old whores -- horny young tramps -- silly foreigners, uptight authority figures, homosexuals and sassy fat women.
  2. How bad is it? Let me count just some of the ways.
  3. A dirty movie. Not a sexy, erotic, steamy or even smutty movie, but a just plain dirty movie. It made me feel unclean, and I'm the guy who liked "There's Something About Mary" and both "American Pie" movies.