Miramax Films | Release Date: April 24, 1998
8.1
Universal acclaim based on 16 Ratings
Watch Now
JemsSep 10, 2010
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This has to be one of the best films I have ever seen in my life. I loved the clever plot of what would have happened if she had got on the train and what would have happened if she hadn't. The character Helen played by 'Gwyneth Paltrow' was very likeable and I really felt for her when she got fired from her job and then walks in on her husband having sex with another woman. I really sympathised with her the whole way through the film and I felt that she did her character justice. 'John Hannah' who plays James displays some great acting here and is a very likeable character. It is obvious that 'John Hannah is suited for romantic comedies and this is shown here. Even the sub characters such as Helen's friend Zara Turner really shows some great acting here. Everything about this film is fabulous - the plot, the characters, the effects and the actors. Overall I'm giving this a ten because it has no faults whatsoever. Expand
Andys_ReviewsOct 14, 2012
Very well made with a nice witty script and a decent pace so it doesn
moviemongerFeb 1, 2011
So true to life....one little moment in time changes a lifetime. I have never seen a movie which delivers such an interesting way to view life. One struggle may be the split screen viewing.
wrightm1Jul 1, 2013
Romance meets The Twilight Zone in this parallel universe romance.

Romance meets The Twilight Zone in this parallel universe romance.

I went in knowing nothing about the film, apart from that it had some kind of gimmick. And I do think that gimmick is a good word to describe the twist in this particular story, as the film did feel drawn out, and I think would have worked better as a short.

But it's not a short. And it works pretty well.

Paltrow does a reasonable British accent, and gives two good performances of the same character- so really she gives a general good performance. The film works, although it is a little contrived, and nears the edge of soap opera a couple of times, but it is a fine romance that should please the romantics of the world.

It definitely starts to feel a little repetitive after a while, and you start to just follow one story, and the problem I had was the story that I was more compelled with didn't end the way I wanted to etc. Romance.

The perfect comparison piece to this is Cloud Atlas as it has the same ideas in some respects, with the same characters- kind of, in different stories, but I believe Cloud Atlas worked as the stories were all different, while with this, it is the same story in a different structure, with the same characters.

So the film is always doomed to repetition.
Daniel2651Feb 10, 2014
Have you ever been walking home one night and thought that your life might be totally different if you walked the long way home instead of taking the short cut? If your answer to this question is yes then you should definitely watch SlidingHave you ever been walking home one night and thought that your life might be totally different if you walked the long way home instead of taking the short cut? If your answer to this question is yes then you should definitely watch Sliding Doors which is real treat for people who like Romantic film and Romantic Comedies. Sliding Doors shows how different your life could really be if you just walked a different way home. It shows it by telling you how different Helen’s (Gwyneth Paltrow) if she had have caught the train to how different her life is when she doesn’t catch the train. The film draws you in at the beginning when Helen tells a very funny joke about where she works. This draws you in because it introduces the theme of comedy which helps the film appeal to a wider audience.
The film also draws you in at the beginning by showing you how different the two lives really are. It shows this when, in the life were Helen catches the train home and gets home just in time to catch her boyfriend Gerry (John Lynch) in bed with another woman called Lydia (Jeanne Tripplehorn.) But in the life were Helen doesn’t catch the train home she arrives home just after Lydia has left and Gerry has a lucky escape. This draws you in because it emphasises just how different your life can be if you make a very small change.
As well as comedy the film is also good because some of the scenes are very well done. This is particularly true in a scene where there is a boat race. In this scene you see both lives at the same time which again shows just how different they really are. The film also has some very good actors in it. One of them being Gerry’s friend Russell (Douglas McFerran) who plays a very good character in the film. Russell is a very good character because Gerry talks to him quite a bit and this helps the viewer to understand what kind of a character Gerry is and how he feels about having an affair with Helen. But the film isn’t good in every way because it is supposed a romantic comedy and I think that a romantic comedy should have an equal amount of romance and comedy. But I think this film has more romance in it which is especially true towards the end of the film. This amount of romance doesn’t work well for the end of the film which I thought was a bit too upsetting and I would have preferred a happier ending. On the other hand there are some good things about the ending, for example it does leave the door open for a sequel. But overall the film is quite good and very funny in some bits and I would rate 6/10 and recommend it to anyone who likes either romantic films or romantic comedies.