7.8

1. Aug 5, 2014
    I was in India and I could see a lot things that the movie shows, The screenplay is amazing, it describes the naked truth in a slums of India within a love story.
  2. chw
    Jul 18, 2014
    Slumdog Millionaire was slow some of the time, but it was still a very good story that was very well portrayed by Dev Patel, Freida Pinto, Madhur Mittal, and Irrfan Khan.
  3. Feb 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best movie ever! this is the classic version of the newer film "Life of Pi" and is just as emotional, somewhat more exciting and one of my personal favourite movies! Expand
  4. Jul 27, 2013
    The rags to riches tale that Slumdog Millionaire tells is a world away from anything we have ever seen, it combines a near fearless child who has the darkest and most heartbreaking of stories, constantly fighting a battle right into his teens. The film is told in a non-linear fashion and in a very unorthodox way, how various words or motions can spark memories, and in this case, our struggling child, now a teen Jamal (Dev Patel) is sitting on the Indian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, and how he came to know the answers surrounding his culture.
    The film is told in flashbacks in Jamal's disturbing childhood, and the ongoing slum that are very real and very poverty-stricken places in the current age. Jamal, his brother Salim and their new friend Latika, played as a young adult later in the film by Frieda Pinto, who Jamal spends most of the film trying to find after unfortunate events separate them. As children, the film explores the bond between brothers, even in the most dastardly circumstances, starving and begging, Jamal and Salim must make it on their own.
    Slumdog certainly tells a tragic and heartbreaking tale, but it also brings a sense of exhilaration and an uplifting sense of purpose, its easy to immediately care for the characters, whether they are trying to stay alive or being thieves, its a realisation of the live they have lead, and how they will use any means necessary to get by.
    The character performances, wonderful fast-paced editing and upbeat soundtrack really make the film shine, from the child actors to the adults, who we travel with as they grow up and become who they are. It is really about perseverance and survival, we see these kids who think the way we do, they worship celebrities, have over-bearing mothers and begin to think about money, they perhaps don't realise the life they have, and don't know any other way.
    With all the seriousness of the film, there is plenty of humour throughout the film, perhaps to lighten the heart, but also the personification the western civilisation may put on this culture, like call centres for example. The film addresses the culture in its fullest, its high and low points, but arguably most of all its lows, director Danny Boyle has created an astonishing surprise that touches the heart in a pounding fashion, with excellent performances and a realisation of the life away from your own.
  5. Mar 8, 2013
    Stunning, Amazing, Brilliant, Full of love, intelligent. These are the few words that describe Slumdog Millionare and there are millions more. Dev Patel puts in an amazing performance, Danny Boyle directs a brilliant movie, Slumdog Millionare is a triumph
  6. Jan 10, 2013
    This movie is about generally 92%! The emotional scenes are excellent and basically the first movie to use a incredible game show the "Who wants to be a millionaire" and turns it into a lively show of colors and drama. Defenetly worth the money!
  7. Nov 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is an interesting thriller with a super exciting story of how an Indian boy survives through many perils and then ends up winning who wants to be a millionaire because of brief moments from his childhood. It was sad,disturbing,and every else you want to see in a good movie.
    A+
  8. Jun 3, 2012
    One Of The BEST MOVIES OF ALL TIME!
    Simply Amazing 100% Enjoyed..
  9. Mar 31, 2012
    This is an amazing film that tells one of the most powerful and uplifting good feeling messages of all time. It is so different than typical Hollywood films and was a complete delight to see it get recognized by everybody. A must see!
  10. Feb 1, 2012
    This movie is ingenious, gripping, at times dramatic and at times quite humorous. It is well framed and original. Although, the way that things unfold is quite fictional and it is not always believable, it is a movie that most types of audiences will enjoy. It is definitely not a masterpiece, yet the performances and direction are remarkable and won't disappointed. It is not art house but it is not what I would call a typical blockbuster...it is just a movie that discloses a reality that for most of us Westerners is unknown. As I have travelled (as a tourist) through many places in India, this movie has brought to my memory my own experiences up there. It has also reminded me not only of the beauty of that country but also of its misery; in spite of it, Indian people stays optimistic and proud of its roots. This film succeeds in exploring India's reality. It shows a country in which the difference between deprived and privileged classes is abysmal...but where the hope is not lost...Overall, is not an outstanding movie but it is indeed unforgettable... Expand
  11. Jan 12, 2012
    Slumdog millionaire does suffer from some silly dialogue, but the film is beautifully filmed, mighty, wondrous, romantic and just fantastically acted. It deserves its Oscar. I give this film 87%.
  12. Dec 20, 2011
    One of the most hated movies by film lovers. But I won't jump the band wagon by giving it a low score because the score I give it is the score that it deserves. This is an excellent made film about love and money. This film is about an Indian that has been poor his whole life and gets a change at the game Who Wants to be a Millionaire. He gets thrown in jail for the conspiracy of cheating for getting all the questions right. There is a special way he knew all the answers. If you don't know what I am talking about then you have to watch this. Dev Patel was the perfect actor for the role because he has the appearance and personality of an underdog. This film was very inspirational and gives a feel of hope to everyone that watches it. My favorite part was at the end when Jamal has to call someone for the answer to the last question that can win it all. Knowing for sure that his brother, the man who he called knows the answer. But his brother isn't the person that picks up. Expand
  13. Dec 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautiful and emotionally satisfying. There is no other way to describe "Slumdog Millionaire". I know a lot of films have already showed poverty and violence before and the ending is quite predictable, but what matters here is not how it ends but what it takes to make us cheer so much for Jamal. Expand
  14. Aug 25, 2011
    There's a kinetic genius woven into the brightly colored fabric of Slumdog Millionaire, which is only something a director as wildly exuberant as Danny Boyle could accomplish. In what is a basic story, seen many times before, Boyle takes away from its roots of epic and bombast, and modernizes it into a wild, exotic adventure. It's something that can be funny (which the movie is). It's something that can be horrifying (which the movie is). It's something that can be romantic (which the movie is). It's Danny Boyle's take on a trip to somewhere else, and we're lucky enough to go with him Expand
  15. May 9, 2011
    A liberating and uplifting movie and the feel-good film of the decade, Danny Boyle delivers the Oscar Winning Slumdog Millionaire. And it's easy to tell why the film has won numerous awards. The film focuses upon Jamil Malik (Dev Patel) an 18 year old orphan from the slums of Mumbai and a constant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, who is one question away from winning 20 million rupees. However he arrested in suspision of cheating. During his interrogation Jamil reveals his incredible and heartwrenching story of his life as a young boy growing up on the streets of Mumbai with his brother Salim, and how he loved and lost the girl of his dreams Latika (Freida Pinto), each question links to a memoir of Jamil's exhilarating life. Superbly well directed in the ever capable and inspring hands of Danny Boyle who delivers a beautiful film from start to finish and one that will live long in the memory, utterly unmissable! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Scott Mendelson
    Absolutely perfect family entertainment for anyone over the age of ten. It is a celebration of not just the usual triumph of the human spirit, but a celebration of the human experience.
    The result is magical and life affirming, and will enrapture those who are not scared away by the mention of "subtitles."
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Brunette
    What's perhaps most fascinating about the film is Boyle's relentless focus on the realities of present-day India as a vehicle for his spectacle and laughs.