6.2

1. Aug 31, 2014
    I certainly enjoyed more than one moment of this film--nearly all of them related to the wonderful performance from Charlize Theron. I could've watched her all night. Unfortunately, she was under-used and the Huntsman received much more screen-time.
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    There should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of herThere should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of her face plastered on big screen.)

The movie is visually awesome, there is no getting around that. It was refreshing to see normal-sized men as dwarves, too, and it took me a while to make out some familiar faces there.

For all the visuals in the world, the characters seemed to have too little to work on, Ms. Stewart is simply horrible and can't convey any kind of emotion, Hemsworth after "Thor" is impressive but sort of drifts away into the corner, and Charlize Theron is impressive but the script and lack of good lines fail her. (And yes, nearer the end this goes, the more horrible the lines all around!)

There are rarely movies that make me laugh when there's nothing to laugh about (in this movie's case it was out of nervousness, sympathy and disbelief, usually when Snow White was in the limelight). I tried to like the movie, and there were good moments, but they never lasted and I can't express it enough that any other member of the female gender would have done a more endearing job as the "fairest of them all".
  3. Jul 25, 2014
    We finally see this classic story with an edgy version. However ,it lacks the twist, adds absolute nothing to the original story and it turns into a long slow paced mess. Kristen Steward is miscast and I cannot see her as Snow White.
  4. Jun 25, 2014
    The movie was actually a pretty good movie for a fairy-tale twist. The casting was excellent, the action was good, and some CGI shots were beautiful and incredible. It was a bit dark and violent compared to the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It might have dark and sad moments but it does have a bright and happy ending.
  5. Jun 3, 2014
    Once the film got pass the heavy introduction part, it actually got pretty interesting and entertaining. Sure, "Snow White and the Huntsman" might have borrowed some stuff from other (and better) fantasy films and if you think about it for a while, you'll see the plot holes, but nevertheless, it was a decent summer popcorn movie and I don't regret seeing it.
  6. May 19, 2014
    Enjoyable movie with great casting and awesome effects. The 7 dwarfs are a who's who of the best character actors around. Charlize is hamming it up, Kristen makes for a pretty and feisty Snow White and it's not a bad effort for a first time director
  7. Apr 18, 2014
    love it, just love it!!! the acting, scenery, body tension and language oh wow i just love it! best film ever!!!!!!!!!! i know some people don't like Kristen Stewart but i love her because the way she only uses a few facial expressions really emphasizes her purity and innocence. The huntsman is such a great character; strong, brave and fearless on the outside but troubled, mournful and haslove it, just love it!!! the acting, scenery, body tension and language oh wow i just love it! best film ever!!!!!!!!!! i know some people don't like Kristen Stewart but i love her because the way she only uses a few facial expressions really emphasizes her purity and innocence. The huntsman is such a great character; strong, brave and fearless on the outside but troubled, mournful and has a need to be loved on the inside. The evil queen is just superb! she is so amazing that even when she isn't speaking you are scared of her! i would recommend this to anybody over the age of 11, no younger because it has quite a dark, gruesome plot with lots of violence and blood loss ha ha ha. but this is by far the best film i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  8. Mar 17, 2014
    I liked the idea and movie very much, Charlize Theron look's amazing as always except one thing... Kristen Stewart she doesn't look like an actress at all. She looked week in this movie, not like a leader, her face is always expressionless and gives the impression of martyrs.
  9. Mar 4, 2014
    Interesting to see a darker adaption to the story, but it fails to deliver in most places. Casting, pacing and script all in the limelight here to name a few. A couple of good scenes dotted here and there, but overall you just get the feeling of being endlessly dragged along scene by scene to an ending that is already extremely well known.
  10. Feb 8, 2014
    "Snow White and the Huntsman" has beautiful costumes and visuals, and is well acted, but lacks originality and consistency. It often feels like it is a mixture of many other ideas that other fantasy films have already used. The lack of detail explanation is frustrating at times as well, but overall, "Snow White and the Huntsman" is still a decent summer blockbuster movie to watch.
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    I'm going to get most of the bad out of the way first. The movie falls woefully short of its true potential. Narratively it's not really satisfying. It didn't quite have the scope it needed, and the way it tried to add in a love triangle annoyed me. It's not really an important or big aspect of the film, but it didn't need to be there at all. Some of the dialogue and supportingI'm going to get most of the bad out of the way first. The movie falls woefully short of its true potential. Narratively it's not really satisfying. It didn't quite have the scope it needed, and the way it tried to add in a love triangle annoyed me. It's not really an important or big aspect of the film, but it didn't need to be there at all. Some of the dialogue and supporting casting choices I didn't really like either. Now on to the good, which is more plentiful than the bad. The choice to create a darker and more adult take on Snow White is a fascinating one. It even occasionally strikes into some stunningly operatic atmospheric tones. I don't know why everyone is complaining about Kristen Stewart being cast as Snow White. She may not have an extremely wide acting range, but she still does fine by me here. Perhaps the most impressive aspects of the film are the visual effects and cinematography. The creatures, hallucinations, and transformations are all very impressive. I'm even starting to wonder if Life of Pi really deserved the visual effects Oscar over it. It all could have very easily been turned into Twilightesque garbage, but for the most part it admirably abandons its sometimes obvious urges to do so. I enjoyed the movie, and I'm willing to bet most other people would too. Still though, I'm hoping for the sequel to be a big improvement. Expand
  12. Nov 3, 2013
    Disappointing. Acting was good (surprisingly Kristen Stewart was decent), and Charlize Theron was particularly excellent. The Huntsman is typecast for Chris and he did a good enough job. Great special effects. The dwarves were okay. I was not very impressed with this film.
  13. Sep 30, 2013
    Interesting twist on an old original This film was much more entertaining than I had expected. Great story, wonderful visuals and the cast worked quite well together.
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    this was a very interesting portrayal of the Disney classic. I didn't think Kirsten Stewart would be very good in this movie but I thought she did alright with her character. I didn't feel very intimidated by the queen. many of the scenes she was in, she was weak and vulnerable. also, the romantic part of the movie was broken.
  15. Aug 5, 2013
    No es una pelicula clara puedo llegar que fue tiempo perdido pero almenos tiene trayectoria y es entendible, las cosas salen mas o menos pero no es mala
  16. Jul 21, 2013
    More of 2 hs missed in this boring crap, also the main character is a skinny ugly one, thumbs down, don't waste your precious time...if you want to see a fantasie movie go to Red Riding Hood
  17. Jul 20, 2013
    Snow White and the Huntsman is a great old-fashioned fantasy adventure film in the same vein as Willow. These films are hard to come by these days (discounting the Lord of the Rings juggernaut, of course), so it's refreshing to see that they're still being made. This Snow White interpretation is simply great fun to watch. The only downer; Chris Hemsworth's AWFUL Scottish accent. Oh dear...
  18. Jul 14, 2013
    An awesome fantasy epic film that has an interesting twist on the classic story. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the interestingly fresh script, the direction, the visuals (the best of the film I'd say), the acting (yes, I like Kristen Stewart- get over it), the music and the set designs. They really tried hard with this film, while it is darker, I personally really enjoyed thisAn awesome fantasy epic film that has an interesting twist on the classic story. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the interestingly fresh script, the direction, the visuals (the best of the film I'd say), the acting (yes, I like Kristen Stewart- get over it), the music and the set designs. They really tried hard with this film, while it is darker, I personally really enjoyed this film and it is a great fantasy film that does deserve a sequel. Expand
  19. Jun 17, 2013
    Great visuals Charlize Theron stole the show
    the story as we know it is so fresh and timeless Kristen Stewart is so talentless she can't even fake a smile Chris Hemsworth was good
  20. Jun 7, 2013
    Whatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could findWhatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could find entertaining. The soundtrack may as well have been a H.I.M. record. It's sad that this was Bob Hoskins last film. The dwarfs were pretty well done! Overall it's not a memorable movie. It's just without substance. The moral of the film is arresting and oppressive. I was hoping Theron would triumph and continue her jaded reign over her bleak little kingdom of annoying dwarfs and cliche' prince charmings, but alas, that's not how the fairy tale goes! Entirely forgettable. Expand
  21. May 29, 2013
    A never dull reinvention of the classic tale of the fairest one of all, Snow White. But also an interesting and darkened twist on the world surrounding her. This is also quite a positive step away for leading actress Kristen Stewart, proving her capability outside of the Twilight storm clouds.
    When the beautiful yet evil Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) ransacks kingdom after kingdom to maintain her youth and to lay waste to those who not only stand against her, but the men of the world who she sees as 'using' women to better themselves, until they are of no use. She then consumes all the youth and purity of the young women in the kingdom for her to be told by her mystical mirror that she is 'the "the fairest of them all".
    But when Snow White comes of age, that very mirror soon changes its tone, to the disbelief of the Queen, but our fairest lady manages to escape her clutches, but also retreats into the Dark Forest, the most wild and unpredictable of places, where only one man has travelled and came back, Eric the Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth), a drunk but sorrowful man in the hands of self-destruction after losing his wife.
    The tale of course has been given a drastic makeover but only to tell a more gritty and sombre story, and combined with some glorious set pieces and even some surprisingly great acting, an enjoyable story is told.
    Kristen Stewart delivers a very different yet effective performance, in the Twilight films she made it all about her, without seeming to care about those around her, a writing ploy and not the actresses fault, but here she definitely puts across someone who cares for everything around her, leading everyone astray with her charm and her undeniable beauty.
    Chris Hemsworth takes a break from being the God of Thunder and decides to protect Snow White, his characters determination and heart all shine through when he is protecting a woman he was sent to capture. The dwarves also make an appearance in a different way as a band of misfits on the road, all telling the bigger picture of a retelling of a classic story.
    It has a riveting and epic finale, and with other stars including Ian McShane, Ray Winstone and Sam Claflin, Snow White and the Huntsman is an excellent fantasy tale with wit, grown up tendencies and excellent scenes of wonderful battle, all while maintaining its classic roots.
  22. May 4, 2013
    I heard some bad stuff about this movie, but it was actually pretty good. I like any movie that takes you to another world and it did just that for me.
  23. Apr 30, 2013
    NOTE: A software flaw causes words to repeat.

“Snow White and the Huntsman” is a retelling of one of the Brothers’ Grimm fairy tales, the well known stories that explore some very primal emotions and desires. This interpretation is full of dark and forbidding landscapes, adding to the mystery and beauty of this work. The idea of Snow White is likely already formed, in the minds of
    NOTE: A software flaw causes words to repeat.

The idea of Snow White is likely already formed, in the minds of most viewers, by the Disney cartoon of 1937. This film is so different, it’s a stretch to think of think of them as originating in the same story.

It’s hard to imagine that Kristen Stewart would be anyone’s first thought to play the character of Snow White. Slight of frame, dark-haired, and dressed in tattered rags for most of the film, Stewart is left decidedly unglamorous. But this is her film from start to finish. She speaks in an old English accent, but often it’s not the words she speaks, but the halting and stifled sounds she utters that bring her character, and her plight, to life.
    The script is threadbare. More important are the themes; aging, jealousy, beauty, and death. In most films these are submerged, or clumsily broached if they exist at all. But the Grimm tales are from a different time, and take us to a different place. They confront these touchstone subjects directly, and the characters in the film, Snow White, the Queen, her dutiful brother, and the huntsman, stand in for these fundamental desires.

In the role of the huntsman, Chris Hemsworth handles the roguish aspects easily, and conveys his heartbreak convincingly. He contrasts well with Stewart, who is at times ethereal, at times vulnerable and childlike. Charlize Theron feels overplayed, but makes a suitably frightening queen. She has a scene where she says not a single word, and hardly moves, but it might be the most powerful shot in the film; we feel all too well the misery of growing old.

The actors playing the dwarves are well cast and funny, all renowned British actors. The character of Muir, though, played by Bob Hoskins, mars the story with hokey prognostications.

To convey how lost she is, director Sanders shoots Snow White's chase scenes from many perspectives. As a result, we're robbed of any sense of where the characters are, in relation to each other. The battle scenes are often just as confused and unclear. Sanders chooses the easy way out, packing the soundtrack with crashing swords and battle cries, or cuts so short and jumpy no one could possibly make sense of the action. He’s saved by the music and sound design, which smooth things out, to a degree. At times there is only a lone voice, quietly singing, to set the tone.

For all the rich possibilities, the film is barely a love story; there’s only the slightest hint of romance between Snow White and the huntsman, and director Sanders seems uninterested in this part of the tale. It’s a regrettable omission. The kiss that awakens Snow White is followed by a bizarre absence of joy at her return, among her supposedly passionate and loyal followers. It’s a great loss for the film, as this could have been among it’s most touching moments. Instead, it’s the most perfunctory. The final battle is anticlimactic, too, after the story stirred us so effectively in the first two thirds of the film.

It’s a puzzle why there is a ‘Sanctuary‘. If the dwarves and townsfolk can escape to that magical land, why are they miserable? Late in the film, there's an abrupt transition to winter. We’re suddenly in a snowy landscape, as the Queen tricks Snow White with her poisoned apple. But what happened in the interim? How much time has passed? It's a clumsy transition, and disrupts the story.

In a few of her interviews, Stewart remarked that she liked her role because, unlike a lot of the scripts being offered to her, it wasn’t one where 'the male lead had just been rewritten as a female.’ That may be true, but it’s not what bothered me about this adaptation. The problem is that none of the stereotypes of the Grimm fairy tales are challenged. The character of Ravenna, in the act of killing her husband, tells us she is murdering him because ‘men use women up when they’re young and beautiful, and then throw them away.’ But we quickly see that her real motivation isn’t that at all; it’s to achieve ‘immortality‘.

I’m not sure why the Grimm’s tales are still so revered; they’re probably the leading culprit in many of the stereotypes we have about aging and looks. The stories conflate ugliness and wickedness, or beauty and goodness. Why didn’t the writers change that, if they were going to really alter the story? They only changed it in insignificant ways. Snow White herself might be feminine, but she also comes with the standard triumvirate of qualities needed to be loved: youth, beauty, and goodness in one desirable package. That’s the lesson young girls still have to learn, it turns out, all these years later.
  24. Apr 20, 2013
    A film that relies very heavily on special effects and I think it’s because of this that it doesn’t quite work. I never see it as a good sign when there are more than two writers and there are three in this case. I generally means that the studio has had more than a passing interest in the mechanics of the storytelling (never a good sign). What you end up with (as in this case) is a filmA film that relies very heavily on special effects and I think it’s because of this that it doesn’t quite work. I never see it as a good sign when there are more than two writers and there are three in this case. I generally means that the studio has had more than a passing interest in the mechanics of the storytelling (never a good sign). What you end up with (as in this case) is a film that looks very good, but usually has little, or no, substance. Yes, Charlize Theron is pretty good as the evil queen, as is Chris Hemsworth as The Huntsman; sadly the same cannot be said of Kristen Stewart. Don’t get me wrong, I rate her as an actress but she just doesn’t have the screen presence to carry off this role. I give her full marks for effort, but, for me at least, it didn’t quite work. Over all, the film only got interesting when the dwarves turned up and that was an hour into it. I think for the sequel (yes there’s a sequel in the works) they’ll have to put a lot more work into telling the story and a little less into making it look good on screen.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (…but only just)

My score: 5.8/10
  25. Apr 13, 2013
    Theron was simply amazing, she brought the movie to life, and i'm gonna say that Stewart was total buzz-killer because she can't pass beyond Twilight. I wanted and expected ACTION and something that will prove Stewart is more that just Swan girl. But girl just can't show her emotion like professional actors do. Well, but still the movie was enjoyable.
  26. Mar 21, 2013
    No amount of pretty can rescue this film from having a surprisingly shallow plot and a minimalist approach to character development.

The single best part of this movie is Charlize Theron's CRAZY routine, which as such is given the most time in the film over any other singular thing. The title characters feel like subplots over this broad's complete lunacy, and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.

That said, I feel traitorous reviewing this film because it calls attention to a film that doesn't as such deserve it.
  27. Mar 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great i love love love Charlize Theron. And great cast... other than Kristen Stewart. She is so boring fairest of them all my a$$ she is a dog compared to Charlize. also i think they forgot the part where her hair should be black all the time instead of 50% of the movie. She would not even be a thought in my mind to be snow white.... my first pick no questions asked would have been Alexandra Daddario she would be perfect!! Expand
  28. Mar 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I was trying to imagine myself watching this when I was child. Why Well, it's clearly not for adult viewers. The story It's simply too obvious.
    The movie looks GORGEOUS. Seriously, stuning effects and the environments looks amazing. But they kinda don't mix. The dark part it's pretty gothic but the "light" part is...wel...as someone described, "too Narnia". With the exception of the Queen, the characters are just too shallow and the relantionship between them simply doesn't develops enoght for such a long movie. The acting doesn't help it either. Kristin is just plain BAD in this movie. I even made an eforth to like Hemsworth character, but, I didn't. The script wasn't good. The dwarfs are cool, specially Beith, but, again, is like you don't get to know em properlly.

The main character is absurdelly ridiculous. She has been lock in a tower for like, what, 10 years And when she got out she swims perfectly and, a few days later, it's sword fighting like she has been used to it her whole life. I don't know man... Fiction needs to be even more coherent that non-fiction stuff or else I get disgusted by it. Anyway, is kinda worth it, but you won't be amazed by anything
  29. Mar 2, 2013
    I can imagine the studio pitch; "imagine Snow White meets The Lord of the Rings!" "Perfect! We'll make it!" The result is middle of the road, boring, liberally pilfers from numerous sources, predictable, forgettable and bland. I was laughing more often than not, as the film seemed to (unwittingly) reference Jabberwocky, Monty Python The Quest For The Holy Grail. Good points: the troll?I can imagine the studio pitch; "imagine Snow White meets The Lord of the Rings!" "Perfect! We'll make it!" The result is middle of the road, boring, liberally pilfers from numerous sources, predictable, forgettable and bland. I was laughing more often than not, as the film seemed to (unwittingly) reference Jabberwocky, Monty Python The Quest For The Holy Grail. Good points: the troll? What is your favourite colour? Expand
  30. Feb 13, 2013
    A gritty in-your-face version with some interesting twists and fantastic CG and full-on realism. Nice acting all round. Could have drawn more emotion from some of the later scenes but well done nonetheless.
  31. Feb 4, 2013
    It was pretty, but not good. I can't decide if it was the director not caring that he didn't let the actors give a solid or meaningful performance or if it was the actors who weren't giving. I'm ready to blame the director, though. I saw interesting choices on Ms. Theron's part and the promise of a very dark story at the beginning, but then the camera work wasted inordinate amounts ofIt was pretty, but not good. I can't decide if it was the director not caring that he didn't let the actors give a solid or meaningful performance or if it was the actors who weren't giving. I'm ready to blame the director, though. I saw interesting choices on Ms. Theron's part and the promise of a very dark story at the beginning, but then the camera work wasted inordinate amounts of time on the forests and the shiny glass things. I wish they could retract the movie and try over because I kept on hoping to see real relationships develop and real characters form, and I'm certain that at least the female leads are capable of those things. Expand
  32. Jan 31, 2013
    In this dark re-telling of the classic fairy tale, Snow White escapes the grasps of the evil Queen Ravenna after her father's kingdom is thwarted, and it will be up to the young Princess who is pure of heart to amass the forces of good against her wicked stepmother. Or so it would seem... It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on throughout the threadbare plot in SNOW WHITE AND THEIn this dark re-telling of the classic fairy tale, Snow White escapes the grasps of the evil Queen Ravenna after her father's kingdom is thwarted, and it will be up to the young Princess who is pure of heart to amass the forces of good against her wicked stepmother. Or so it would seem... It is difficult to tell exactly what is going on throughout the threadbare plot in SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN. Sure, it looks pretty, but the big-budget special effects cannot hide the fact that SNOW WHITE makes very few attempts at telling a compelling story. Kristen Stewart stars as our slack-jawed and angst-ridden heroine (if you can call her that). Snow White spends the majority of the film fleeing through the woods with the aid of The Hunstman (Chris Hemsworth), before suddenly and confusingly becoming the leader of a major rebellion against The Queen. The term 'contrived' receives a whole new meaning in the film's brisk 2-hour run time. Charlize Theron is given a few moments to shine as Ravenna, but if any praise is due at all, it must be given to the set designers, who have brilliantly dressed everything from the brooding castles to the enchanted forests. SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN provides enough eye-candy to 'wow' most fantasy fans, but THE LORD OF THE RINGS this is not. Expand
  33. Jan 27, 2013
    Highlights include the visual aspect. Negatives include just about everything else. The acting was dreadful, the movie was slow and boring, and the script was weak.
  34. Jan 27, 2013
    Snow White and the Huntsman is an enjoyable film that is shot brilliantly with some excellent music. The movie can be a bit dumb at times and hard to understand. The main issue is the terrible acting of Kristen Stewart.
  35. Dec 5, 2012
    Good film, not as unique as I had hoped, but average isn't always such a terrible thing. Interesting style and attractive visuals. Charlize Theron steals the show, and saves the movie.
  36. Nov 30, 2012
    "Snow White and the Huntsman" is a surprisingly impressive and engaging take on the classic fairy tale. To start with, the performances are all fun to watch - even Kristen Stewart, who has a bad mark in my book for becoming popular through "Twilight", did a decent job as Snow White. Most seem to ridicule her lack of acting talent, but here her quieter and admittedly somewhat vacant White"Snow White and the Huntsman" is a surprisingly impressive and engaging take on the classic fairy tale. To start with, the performances are all fun to watch - even Kristen Stewart, who has a bad mark in my book for becoming popular through "Twilight", did a decent job as Snow White. Most seem to ridicule her lack of acting talent, but here her quieter and admittedly somewhat vacant White works in the film's context. Charlize Theron also delivers a wickedly fun performance as the vain and evil Queen Ravenna, and Chris Hemsworth is his usual "Thor" self, though it is not as entertaining in this movie. As for the plotwriting, it's actually pretty good, and sufficiently amps you up for the inevitable final battle at the end.

However, the film's true strength and magic lie in its visuals. This movie is simply gorgeous to look at, start to finish, and is a real cinematic achievement in CGI and art direction. The fairy forest in particular is the most dazzling and mesmerizing setpiece of the whole film, yet even the darker and gothic throne room of the Queen is of equally wonderful design. There are some truly memorable images to be had here, and when combined with the film's unexpectedly good acting and storytelling, you get a delightful and beautiful artwork of a movie.

So overall, there's certainly more here for the visually-inclined rather than the Oscar-winning story seekers - but that is more than enough to earn this movie a firm recommendation in my book. It's dark, it's passionate, and it's pure fun to watch.
  37. Nov 29, 2012
    This was a good movie and it was really well done. The effects were impressive, the acting was really good, and the character and plot developed well. Kristen Stewart did a great job, granted this film was right down her alley. She's grown from that dorky little kid in Panic Room to become a beautiful young woman with decent acting chops. I'm interested to see how she fares outside of herThis was a good movie and it was really well done. The effects were impressive, the acting was really good, and the character and plot developed well. Kristen Stewart did a great job, granted this film was right down her alley. She's grown from that dorky little kid in Panic Room to become a beautiful young woman with decent acting chops. I'm interested to see how she fares outside of her comfort zone though. This character was a lot like her Twilight character... dark, dry, and dramatic. I wonder how she'll perform, now that Twilight is ending, in more diverse roles. Chris Hemsworth also did a great job as usual. He continues to impress. If he gets a few marquee roles over the next several years (no, Thor would not be one, lol), he could become this generation's Mel Gibson or someone along those lines. The only major criticism I had is that I can't stand all the magical mumbo jumbo. Obviously it wouldn't be a Snow White movie without it so I'm not holding that against the movie with regards to the rating but I really wish they would've gone for a more realistic approach to the film. Still, it was an entertaining movie that was done well. Collapse
  38. Nov 29, 2012
    The Movie had great potential, and was pretty well done for the most part. Charlize Theron does a great job. The problem with the movie was Kristen Stewart, who still thinks all characters act like her twilight character. She literally sucks the soul out of every scene she is in. That being said Twilight fans will love this movie because she is in it.
  39. Nov 28, 2012
    It has a few very memorable performances and some stunning visuals, but it ultimately suffers a great deal from its uninspired lead character and a hefty amount of plot contrivances.
  40. Nov 22, 2012
    Fine movie. Places and characters are very good. It's quite different from the main fairy tale, But still it's very nice. I was expected much about the battles but it was not good. Kristen, Charlize and other characters are very nice. Finally l like this movie.
  41. Nov 13, 2012
    This is a fantastic take on a story that we all know from our childhood and from our good friend Walt Disney. There is a great ensemble of actors who give strong, convincing performances especially the main female leads of Christan Stewart and Charlize Theron. For those who were put off Kristan Stewart from her Twighlit performances, she really steps up the gears in this and provides aThis is a fantastic take on a story that we all know from our childhood and from our good friend Walt Disney. There is a great ensemble of actors who give strong, convincing performances especially the main female leads of Christan Stewart and Charlize Theron. For those who were put off Kristan Stewart from her Twighlit performances, she really steps up the gears in this and provides a throughly entertaining performance. Certainly a movie to have in your DVD collection. Expand
  42. Nov 13, 2012
    this was a real supprise movie. I didn't expected much, but it gave me entertainment. Of course there are a lot of things which aren't that well done in the movie, but overall it was pretty good.
  43. Nov 12, 2012
    Typical in ways, and largely predictable. Basically this is the same lazy, uninspired, cliched, dime a dozen thoughtlessness that comes annually with high-budget Hollywood productions. But, if you ask me, that's not as bad as it sounds. It looks cool, it's exciting and everyone is beautiful. As shallow as it may sound, I like those things. Sue me.
  44. Nov 11, 2012
    This movie was shot beautifully, if you have the opportunity to watch this with the sound off and some music on I recommend it. Most of the characters ranged from generic to flat out boring and unlikable with few exceptions. The story was unmemorable, the dialogue dull and the character arcs non-existent. The pacing though is what really killed it, you'd occasionally be drawn into theThis movie was shot beautifully, if you have the opportunity to watch this with the sound off and some music on I recommend it. Most of the characters ranged from generic to flat out boring and unlikable with few exceptions. The story was unmemorable, the dialogue dull and the character arcs non-existent. The pacing though is what really killed it, you'd occasionally be drawn into the movie by some scene or a bit of interaction only to be left there waiting for something else to happen, and waiting and waiting. Again, cool effects, sets and costumes, watch it for that. Expand
  45. Nov 4, 2012
    The bad: You'll find many things borrowed from Game of Thrones and LOTR. The good: outstanding special effects, a magnet performance from Theron, and an interesting and dark take on the tale.
  46. Nov 1, 2012
    I wasn't honestly expecting much with this movie. It was just another re-imagining of the classic snow white tale, except this time darker. I've never been much into that kind of thing, I mean why mess with the classics? The movie really bored me, and I really just couldn't wait for it to be over. I do have one aspect to praise, and that's the ending. Most movies like this would have hadI wasn't honestly expecting much with this movie. It was just another re-imagining of the classic snow white tale, except this time darker. I've never been much into that kind of thing, I mean why mess with the classics? The movie really bored me, and I really just couldn't wait for it to be over. I do have one aspect to praise, and that's the ending. Most movies like this would have had it the usual romantic ending between the Huntsman and Snow White, but thankfully it did not and gave us a perfectly good conclusion that's out of the norm. I can't bring myself to recommend this to anyone, but I know this movie will find it's audience/fans, I'm just not one of them. Expand
  47. Oct 29, 2012
    It was an ok film, based on the story book version. I found it a bit boring in parts but otherwise it was watchable. Acting was ok,bit overdone IMHO. Seven dwarfs were a surprise the effects seemed to work.
  48. Oct 28, 2012
    To be honest, I thought the movie was a little boring. It was okay, but the action was slow and the plot was too rushed, hard to keep track of, and just plain boring. This isn't even as close to as good as something like Alice in Wonderland. I think it was a disappointment.
  49. Oct 28, 2012
    This is not the fairy tale from Walt Disney that we have become used to but a rather more mature dark and sinister movie. I have to say that I enjoyed this movie.

Despite that a lot of the world is much darker and filled of despair in this movie the photography is nice and the film is beautiful to watch. The film focuses a lot more on the huntsman than previous Snow White movies that I have seen and I think this is also the first one that I have seen where snow white mounts up in full battle armor. I think it worked quite well.

There is quite a few special effects in the movie but not enough to overdo it and they are reasonably well done as far as I am concerned. As I mentioned earlier the plot is somewhat different although it follows the general lines of the original story. It is still a fairly simple adventure/action plot but it holds together well enough.

The dwarfs are present of course and, although the film takes much more serious take to the Snow White story, they still give you a laugh or two. There are a couple of scenes which more or less seemed to be fillers with not that much to add to the story but they did not really disturb the flow of the movie either.

When the credits started to roll I was quite satisfied with my movie evening.
  50. Oct 27, 2012
    The film was normal, nothing impressive that just blows your mind away. The only character I liked in this film was the queen. She could really show the evil and cruelty that was inside. The '' Snow White '', character was boring, awkward and there was no magic around. Overall the film was boring, lacked good action, shown no humor and chemistry between the characters. When I watched theThe film was normal, nothing impressive that just blows your mind away. The only character I liked in this film was the queen. She could really show the evil and cruelty that was inside. The '' Snow White '', character was boring, awkward and there was no magic around. Overall the film was boring, lacked good action, shown no humor and chemistry between the characters. When I watched the trailer I was hoping to see a good film that would bring back my memories from childhood. Expand
  51. Oct 27, 2012
    What more can I ask for if I want a drunken movie session to torture my friends? Crappy acting (with the exception of Charlize Theron), esp Kirsten Stewart, cheesy/awkward dialogue/lines, horrible fight scenes that border on even more awkwardness and so many cliche'/unexplainedly retarded sequences that combine to make this my personal WORST FILM OF 2012. Avoid at all costs. A great castWhat more can I ask for if I want a drunken movie session to torture my friends? Crappy acting (with the exception of Charlize Theron), esp Kirsten Stewart, cheesy/awkward dialogue/lines, horrible fight scenes that border on even more awkwardness and so many cliche'/unexplainedly retarded sequences that combine to make this my personal WORST FILM OF 2012. Avoid at all costs. A great cast (well, except for probably Stewart) is almost completely wasted and in most cases, you cant feel that the film tries to hard to appear as a 'dark' fantasy. Had the script been better written and had the acting been better, I am sure this movie would've soared. Sadly, it all becomes a cheesy-as-hell translation of a great fairy tale classic that takes itself way too seriously with a lot of awkward and boring segments. Only under 15yo's, douches & rednecks who dont know better as well as young/naive female viewers will enjoy this movie. This has been a pain to watch and apart from nearly dozing off, on two occasions I switched from the movie in my blu-ray player to watch the frickin news because it was so bad. Dont be deceived by its dark cinematography (oh yea thats about the only good thing this movie has) and the lines of stars in this. Its essentially horrible B-grade rubbish disguised up with high budget wrappings. Once you open it, you'll regret it, no matter even if the wrapping paper is made out of gold. Oh look at all the good user ratings. And now look at the usernames. Yep, all young, ignorant, Twilight-influenced females who dont know better. Be smart, have class, join the sensible people of society and avoid this trash. Expand
  52. Oct 8, 2012
    While 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is certainly more distinctive, original, and enjoyable than this years' previous Snow White adaptation, 'Mirror Mirror', the movie is inconsistent tonally and features some very odd performances from its cast. Charlize Theron goes overboard as the evil queen Ravenna, most of the film going from screaming one second to being silent with trembling fury theWhile 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is certainly more distinctive, original, and enjoyable than this years' previous Snow White adaptation, 'Mirror Mirror', the movie is inconsistent tonally and features some very odd performances from its cast. Charlize Theron goes overboard as the evil queen Ravenna, most of the film going from screaming one second to being silent with trembling fury the next, and Kristen Stewart undersells her Snow White with barely any screen presence, making her come off as mild. When these two forces of nature collide, the result is unengaging. There is also an attempt at romance between Stewart and Hemsworth which feels as fake as the appearance of the seven dwarves, as portrayed by Ray Winstone and Nick Frost among others. There are some moments of visual bliss though, including the re-invention of the mirror-on-the-wall and a lush sequence involving various different forest creatures, and the overall dark tone to the fairy tale is nice, somewhat reminiscent of 'Pan's Labarynth'. But don't mistake the overall tone and dark style of 'Snow White and the Huntsman' for the movie itself. If anything, it's a visually gorgeous misfire. Expand
  53. Oct 4, 2012
    Everyone knows the story of Snow White. And we are presented with a darker, more violent twist on the fairy tale that could have been an excellent film. But in the end, it was just silly.
  54. Oct 2, 2012
    What could've been an enjoyable and dark take on Snow White just turned into an absolute bore. Charlize Theron looked like she was going to be amazing as the evil queen, but her overacting is just ridiculous. Kristen Stewart is blank and expressionless just like in Twilight, Chris Hemsworth was the only actor in the movie who could be considered good. The movie also rips off every otherWhat could've been an enjoyable and dark take on Snow White just turned into an absolute bore. Charlize Theron looked like she was going to be amazing as the evil queen, but her overacting is just ridiculous. Kristen Stewart is blank and expressionless just like in Twilight, Chris Hemsworth was the only actor in the movie who could be considered good. The movie also rips off every other fantasy movie released in the 21st century, and the dialogue is basic fantasy drivel. The script also had lots of plotholes, including one scene where Snow White escaped the Queen's castle, finds a horse sitting on the beach and rides it. What are the chances of that happening?! The visuals and the sets/costume designs were cool but no amount of icing is going to compensate for a cake that's gone bad. The tone is also so dark that the movie just falls flat and you lose interest. This movie had potential but it didn't live up it one bit. Expand
  55. Oct 2, 2012
    I couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters in this movie--except maybe the dwarves--and therefore the story was boring and pointless. Kristen Stewart still can't act, which is usually a problem for a main character. The supporting cast wasn't too bad, but had junk to work with. The one good thing in this movie was the visuals, but these go to waste because of theI couldn't bring myself to care about any of the characters in this movie--except maybe the dwarves--and therefore the story was boring and pointless. Kristen Stewart still can't act, which is usually a problem for a main character. The supporting cast wasn't too bad, but had junk to work with. The one good thing in this movie was the visuals, but these go to waste because of the lackluster characters and dialogue. Expand
  56. Oct 2, 2012
    Wow. This movie exceeded my expectation. I thought this movie was directed really well. The storyline was easy to comprehend, dialogues were not cheesy and easy to understand. Acting was good too, although I disliked Kristen Stewart acting as Snow White. I feel that she lacked femininity and expression. Charlize Theron did phenomenal as the evil witch. She was too good. I loved how theyWow. This movie exceeded my expectation. I thought this movie was directed really well. The storyline was easy to comprehend, dialogues were not cheesy and easy to understand. Acting was good too, although I disliked Kristen Stewart acting as Snow White. I feel that she lacked femininity and expression. Charlize Theron did phenomenal as the evil witch. She was too good. I loved how they shoot the scenes, with awesome angles. The effects were superb. Seriously. I loved this movie. It depicts darkness more somehow but worth watching. Definitely not my comprehension of Snow White during my childhood days. Expand
  57. Sep 30, 2012
    Charliez was great in this film. I agree she made it work and in a beautiful way. For the remainder of this film if you saw the previous you saw the action. Kristen needs to stick to vampire movies she seams to do good with them. She need a few more acting lessons from what I have seen of the other movies she has been in. Not a leading actress but supporting actress at this point.
  58. Sep 29, 2012
    My original score was an "8". Afterwards, I deducted "7" for Kristen Stewart who should have played the ice queen instead of snow white !! How did she ever became a actress ? She has the same facial expression whatever she does... cry, smile, get angry, kiss, die, resurrect, fight, whisper, yell, etc, etc... Anyway, that got us to a score of 8-7=1. Add to that , a "5" for Charlize Theron,My original score was an "8". Afterwards, I deducted "7" for Kristen Stewart who should have played the ice queen instead of snow white !! How did she ever became a actress ? She has the same facial expression whatever she does... cry, smile, get angry, kiss, die, resurrect, fight, whisper, yell, etc, etc... Anyway, that got us to a score of 8-7=1. Add to that , a "5" for Charlize Theron, who was a perfect and wonderful villain, and you get the final "6" for the movie. Expand
  59. Sep 24, 2012
    Thanks to this movie Snow White to become an action movie and suspense. Do not think that is a kind movie Twilight, because it is not. I recommend it to people under 18.
  60. Sep 23, 2012
    This movie was an absolute waste of time... I guess I was not the target audience for this movie but the trailer made me think other wise. It had its moments but I had a hard time sitting through the whole movie. Snow white was the worse character of the movie. The Huntsman was okay... I guess that's the reason why they are not going to do a sequel to this movie but are going to do one ofThis movie was an absolute waste of time... I guess I was not the target audience for this movie but the trailer made me think other wise. It had its moments but I had a hard time sitting through the whole movie. Snow white was the worse character of the movie. The Huntsman was okay... I guess that's the reason why they are not going to do a sequel to this movie but are going to do one of the Huntsman solo. Expand
  61. Sep 22, 2012
    I do not know what possessed me to think that this would be something worth watching, however having seen it I must admit that it was wonderfully directed with stunning visuals and soundtrack alike. Theron is delightful as Ravenna.
  62. Sep 19, 2012
    Charlize Theron makes this film work.Nice scenes too.Kristen is not ready for these types of films though.Not really related to the original snow white,but no problem for me.
  63. Sep 18, 2012
    This is the third Snow of the year, if you count the television series, Once Upon a Time. In the TV series, we have Lana Parrilla as the evil Queen with magical powers, who starts out as a normal teenager, but because of life events becomes a complex psychological character, driven by grief and despair into the shadows of the dark powers. Julia Roberts takes up the evil Queen in Mirror,This is the third Snow of the year, if you count the television series, Once Upon a Time. In the TV series, we have Lana Parrilla as the evil Queen with magical powers, who starts out as a normal teenager, but because of life events becomes a complex psychological character, driven by grief and despair into the shadows of the dark powers. Julia Roberts takes up the evil Queen in Mirror, Mirror, which follows the traditional fairy tale with a lot of spoofing and exaggeration that cannot be taken very seriously. Now we have Charlize Theron as the evil Queen, and as far as evil queens go, she is truly over the top. She might have been normal as a small child, but was endowed by her mother with magical powers at a young age under vaguely stressful circumstances that are never properly explained. After her conversion, there is no turning back. She is the archetypical Evil One, whose sole objective is to "give this world the Queen it deserves." Like the villain in most cartoons, she just wants to take over the whole world because she is infested with evil, and evil must prevail, no matter what. A good part of this movie is a classical "chase movie" like Mel Gibson's Apocalypto. Snow White is imprisoned, she escapes, and she is chased by the Queen's army and then specifically by the Huntsman, who falls in love with her. But she is also protected by her childhood love, William, the duke's son, who gave her up for dead, and then comes to her rescue when he realizes she is alive and being hunted. The rivalry between these two swains is never mentioned; Snow White never expresses any preference for either and there are no love scenes. Who will win her hand after Good conquers Evil is a loose end that never gets tied up. The chase takes us into the Dark Forest, with dead birds, snakes, dead trees, and a troll. Then we meet the eight dwarves, soon to be seven, and yes, they should have hired the real thing instead of using camera tricks, because how else are these petite actors going to find employment? The dwarves take Snow White and the huntsman into Fairyland--this is the land of Nature and Good Spirits. The fairies are tiny creatures that ride turtles and hide under bird wings. Then the Great Spirit appears in the form of a white stag. He blesses Snow White for being the purest spirit of them all, but never speaks, unlike Aslan in Narnia. When the chase is finally over, unlike other chase movies, this movie continues. Snow White is welcomed at the castle of the good Duke, whose son has helped to rescue her. She was told she must inspire others. Thus, she becomes a Jeanne d'Arc who rallies the troops and leads them into battle, even though she has said earlier in the film she could never even wield a knife. Kristen Stewart is an unconventional Snow White--her hair is not as black as ebony, her skin is not as white as snow, and her lips are not as red as blood; nevertheless, she is still an effective Snow White, but with missed opportunities for confusion about romance, true anger about her father's death, and true heroism in battle. Theron also is denied the complexity of having feelings for anyone but her brother, and it's not clear she likes him either. The Huntsman is a very good-looking Australian with eyes that are blue enough to qualify him to replace Mel Gibson as the national export. In spite of the flaws, the film is visually enticing as it takes the viewer deeper and deeper into the forest, leading us onward with tension and suspense, but ultimately letting us down. Snow White is finally Queen, but again, an opportunity for complicated and nuanced emotions is missed. Expand
  64. Sep 11, 2012
    It's hard to explain what was wrong with this appropriate dark twist on the original tale, but overall, it was just OK. There are multiple times in this 2 hour movie where I was wandering off. However, I felt the cinematography was beautiful and Chris Hemsworth managed to act efficiently.
  65. Sep 11, 2012
    I don't usually like fairy tales, because they all have the same concept and everything gets well in the end which is exactly like what happened in this film but here are the number of reasons why I actually liked it. 1) The dark side of the classic fairy tales, I mean, come on, who on earth would have thought about that? I really liked the idea that the film incorporated that dark twistI don't usually like fairy tales, because they all have the same concept and everything gets well in the end which is exactly like what happened in this film but here are the number of reasons why I actually liked it. 1) The dark side of the classic fairy tales, I mean, come on, who on earth would have thought about that? I really liked the idea that the film incorporated that dark twist which can be enjoyed by both children and adults. 2) Outstanding production design, great cinematography and fascinating visual effects, which really made me feel like wishing I were there. The Sanctuary is phenomenal, every creature expression is flawless.The Dark Forest is astonishing, the opposite of the Sanctuary, for every beauty there is an unpleasant side, and it feels that life is a threat to it. 3) Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth's performances. Too powerful and worth appreciating. 4) Strong and near-to-clever screenplay.
    Here are some negative points about this film. 1) Kristen Stewart CAN NOT act! She's one of the most boring actors on this planet. Same expressions, same expressions everywhere. If she had acted any good, this film would have been a bit better. I really wish the casting director had chosen somebody else instead of her. 2) The screenplay was good BUT, there were some tiny mistakes though and it wasn't made clear at the time and a few things happened really fast, but in fact, they should have been explained properly.
    In short, this film proved to be better than my expectations. I would really like to add something here as well. I don't know if the storyline of this film varies with original fairy tale and I don't really care about that because I am not really interested in them. I watched this film for the sole reason of it having a dark and evil side, and that's enough for me. I would recommend this film to you, because it never really bores you or something except the scenes in which only Kristen Stewart is present (LOL).
  66. Sep 11, 2012
    First of all: congrats to the DP, Colorist and VFX artists coz this film looks great! The film starts of pretty good but in the middle the pace drops to a grinding halt and it all becomes quite slow and boring up until the end batle which is nicely done. One problem is that you can't quite emotionally connect with the characters so you give very little about what happens to them. TheyFirst of all: congrats to the DP, Colorist and VFX artists coz this film looks great! The film starts of pretty good but in the middle the pace drops to a grinding halt and it all becomes quite slow and boring up until the end batle which is nicely done. One problem is that you can't quite emotionally connect with the characters so you give very little about what happens to them. They tried to make the fairytale gritier and darker and visually it works but the story still feels a bit mediocre and it doesn't build up very well. Nice to look at but you won't feel urged to see it again... Expand
  67. Sep 2, 2012
    I expected very little from this film and actually really enjoyed it.After reading several negative reviews I thought I wouldn`t get past the twenty minute mark.I found the acting to be fine and yes,the whole thing looks fantastic.A very good effort at updating a classic story and far,far better than most blockbusters that rely on too much CGI and 3D to tell a story.Great cast too!
  68. Sep 1, 2012
    Surprisingly good! I was expecting a lame story remake but I was so wrong. Loved the story, the characters and the amazing visuals. Very well done indeed.
  69. Aug 21, 2012
    This movie was great with an awesome storyline and the costumes and CGI was FANTASTIC. The only part that i didn't like was the fact that I was expecting a bit more action after watching the trailer, but it was overall a good movie.
  70. Aug 19, 2012
    For once there, I was really thinking I was not watching an epic movie based on a fairy tale princess. For once, I started leading myself by maniacally fantastic tale of a twist-up with Snow White on it. 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is obviously, once again one of those movies users and audiences love, yet, critics detest. Snow White takes us on an inventive ride, that is not like theFor once there, I was really thinking I was not watching an epic movie based on a fairy tale princess. For once, I started leading myself by maniacally fantastic tale of a twist-up with Snow White on it. 'Snow White and the Huntsman' is obviously, once again one of those movies users and audiences love, yet, critics detest. Snow White takes us on an inventive ride, that is not like the type of fairy-princess, bird-singing, but still, keeps faithful to it. Everything in the movie is very well made--especially the fighting sequences that reached in top mastery. The only thing that could be considered a little, little flaw is the acting of Kristen Stewart, who made an improvement to her disgusting acting in Twilight, but yet, it left fans expecting too much to ask. The movie overall was great and I really feel good by paying all the amount of many I invested to see it. Expand
  71. Aug 13, 2012
    The only real problem with the movie is that there should be more development in certain aspects, particurally Kristen Stewart's character, who works out just fine for the movie but isn't well developed. Now, Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth steal the show as well as the dwarfs and Ravenna's brother Finn. Although some aspects should have been more developed and not so rushed, the movieThe only real problem with the movie is that there should be more development in certain aspects, particurally Kristen Stewart's character, who works out just fine for the movie but isn't well developed. Now, Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth steal the show as well as the dwarfs and Ravenna's brother Finn. Although some aspects should have been more developed and not so rushed, the movie is still worthable to watch. Expand
  72. Aug 12, 2012
    Great visuals, an amazing performance by Charlize Theron, and a pretty decent battle at the end: these are the good things I can remember about this movie. Besides that, it drags. A lot.
  73. Aug 10, 2012
    Dazzling, class-A visuals are undone by a directionless and dialogue-heavy script, as well as poor performances from Kristen Stewart and Charlize Theron.
  74. Aug 4, 2012
    Beautiful but boring and shallow. This movie had me fidgeting in my seat and impatiently checking my watch almost from the opening scene. I give it a 6 solely for the cinematography.
  75. Jul 22, 2012
    ust saw Snow White & The Huntsman. That might just be the sleeper hit of the summer. I wasn't to hyped for the movie until I started seeing some of the Tv spots. I wasn't really sure what to expect going in but man was it a great action/medieval/fantasy movie. I LOVED it. Chris Hemsworth was great, the dwarves where fantastic and Charlize Theron was brilliant. And the effects? The effectsust saw Snow White & The Huntsman. That might just be the sleeper hit of the summer. I wasn't to hyped for the movie until I started seeing some of the Tv spots. I wasn't really sure what to expect going in but man was it a great action/medieval/fantasy movie. I LOVED it. Chris Hemsworth was great, the dwarves where fantastic and Charlize Theron was brilliant. And the effects? The effects where stunning (And fyi, the dwarves? Real dwarves with life sized actors faces out on there bodies. You can't even tell!). Only thing that bugged me was Kristen Stewart. I mean her whole mopey attitude works for most of the movie, but at the happy ending she still doesn't even smile! Well she smiled a little, but it barely counts as a smile! She had a bigger smile earlier in the movie! I mean come on Stewart, show some other emotions. Other than that, the movie was great and is one of my favorite medieval fantasy movies. Expand
  76. Jul 22, 2012
    Breathtaking sets, beautiful costumes, and dazzling visual effects are enough to create a competent and entertaining fairy tale adaptation. It is let down by a disappointing and somewhat unthrilling final act. Its dark tone and Charlize Theron epic and totally evil portrayal of the Evil Queen make it sort of level out with its flaws, but the pure spectacle will leave you enchanted. ThisBreathtaking sets, beautiful costumes, and dazzling visual effects are enough to create a competent and entertaining fairy tale adaptation. It is let down by a disappointing and somewhat unthrilling final act. Its dark tone and Charlize Theron epic and totally evil portrayal of the Evil Queen make it sort of level out with its flaws, but the pure spectacle will leave you enchanted. This adaptation of the classic fairytale "Snow White" makes Mirror Mirror incompetent of being a movie. I give this movie 67%. Expand
  77. Jul 22, 2012
    He could come out a good movie because it is technically well done. Too bad that Stewart as Snow White (character who was supposed to carry the good, the sweetness, innocence) has almost ruined everything with his expressionless. Thank goodness there was Charlize Theron that saved the movie with his incredible performance at the Queen.
  78. Jul 22, 2012
    And it could have been so good... or at least, that's my feeling after watching this. Certainly the effects and art design are good with a wonderful (if ever so gory) Goth vibe running through the film. And in Charlize Theron, the film has a pretty interesting Villain to set the heroes up against. But oh, those Heroes. Stewart is a damp squib in a role which, in fairness, is a damp squib.And it could have been so good... or at least, that's my feeling after watching this. Certainly the effects and art design are good with a wonderful (if ever so gory) Goth vibe running through the film. And in Charlize Theron, the film has a pretty interesting Villain to set the heroes up against. But oh, those Heroes. Stewart is a damp squib in a role which, in fairness, is a damp squib. And with two male leads, there is no real sense of romance with either, nor the obvious love rivalry. The action sequences are also pretty lacklustre, with no real "wow" moments even though they certainly have scale. The film is also pretty bleak and dour with no real humour to break things up. The dwarfs may have provided that but they are such a small part they're not really worth a mention. With a bit more effort and thought this could have been a nice franchise along the lines of Pirates but I cant see the point in a sequel. Expand
  79. Jul 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This film felt like it wasn't sure what kind of story it wanted to tell. All the scenes meant to pull at our emotions fell flat because there was no substance behind them. I cared more for the parents of Snow White than I did any other character in the film, despite excellent acting all round. Saying this, I'm not sure if Kristen Stewart was really suited to a leader role for the final battle, which did feel like it was shoved in for the sake of having some 'epic war ride'. It was however, entertaining to a point. The CGI and score were outstanding, as were all the cast. I was disappointed the magic mirror as a cloaked figure wasn't taken further than the original appearance - it was an interesting design choice which was wasted. The other major annoyance was that there was no romantic conclusion, this is just a personal preference though. Expand
  80. Jul 19, 2012
    I liked the movie Kristen Stewart was acting very good i would recommend the movie to my friends
    just filling up my 150 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  81. Jul 17, 2012
    Snow white is a real boiling pot of ideas and themes, to be honest, some don
  82. Jul 12, 2012
    CGI Was amazing, and the thought that went into the cast was great! go see it, you wont be disappointed!!! Dont know why this has such a poor score, saw it last night and thought it was great, id heard nothing about it and was blown away by the cast, Kristen Stewart (Snow w) shows she can actually switch roles from that of a certain vampire loving human, and Chris Hemsworth (Huntsman)CGI Was amazing, and the thought that went into the cast was great! go see it, you wont be disappointed!!! Dont know why this has such a poor score, saw it last night and thought it was great, id heard nothing about it and was blown away by the cast, Kristen Stewart (Snow w) shows she can actually switch roles from that of a certain vampire loving human, and Chris Hemsworth (Huntsman) shows hes not just a lightning god from a certain comic book, would see again! Expand
  83. Jul 11, 2012
    Really good re-imagining of a fairy tail. Good action flick. A little too graphic for young kids. Took my 12 year old who enjoyed it. (Though I'm glad we didn't see it before bedtime!) Charlize Theron makes a pretty great wicked step mother. Kristen Stewart as rebellious teen consorting with the undead... yup. Princess and "fairest of them all"... not so much.
  84. Jul 10, 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman is good, not great. The pacing is incredibly uneven and the film can bore at times. Kristen Stewart's Snow White is boring and mumbles one word responses like all of her other characters and Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman is only written as walking eye candy. Snow White and the Huntsman is just another example where Charlize Theron steals the show with anotherSnow White and the Huntsman is good, not great. The pacing is incredibly uneven and the film can bore at times. Kristen Stewart's Snow White is boring and mumbles one word responses like all of her other characters and Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman is only written as walking eye candy. Snow White and the Huntsman is just another example where Charlize Theron steals the show with another amazing performance that only further enunciates her incredible range of acting. Her character is wonderfully sadistic and completely insane, and she really sells it. I would recommend the movie based on her performance alone. The rest of the movie is a take it or leave it deal. Expand
  85. Jul 10, 2012
    Just a failed attempt to capture the classic fairy tale . With a unworthy script and Kristen's bad acting this adaption of snow white just doesn't work . The Direction was even and the special effects were amazing . But still there were so many Negativity . Therons look and style was the Perfect Witch but coz of bad dialogues her character just kept falling and falling . Chris was theJust a failed attempt to capture the classic fairy tale . With a unworthy script and Kristen's bad acting this adaption of snow white just doesn't work . The Direction was even and the special effects were amazing . But still there were so many Negativity . Therons look and style was the Perfect Witch but coz of bad dialogues her character just kept falling and falling . Chris was the perfect choice as the Huntsman he did good but as soon as the story came out all "Twilight" it was the end of him . Right before the end of the film Kristen's Tough Lady Scenes were the funniest moment in the film . Seriously she cant act at all . The Movie could be a different types of Dark Fairy Tale but coz of that horrible script and Kristen as Snow the movie just doesn't work . Expand
  86. Jul 9, 2012
    The Queen is SO beautiful and she's such a great actor! The story of Snow White has NEVER been so interesting! I only have 1 problem, I wish there was more of the Queen, but the movie is great! The special effects are breath-taking, and visually-stunning. This movie combines suspense, with action, and drama. The costumes are great, so is the makeup, plot, and the enviornments are veryThe Queen is SO beautiful and she's such a great actor! The story of Snow White has NEVER been so interesting! I only have 1 problem, I wish there was more of the Queen, but the movie is great! The special effects are breath-taking, and visually-stunning. This movie combines suspense, with action, and drama. The costumes are great, so is the makeup, plot, and the enviornments are very detailed. The also introduce other fairytale elements like pixies and trolls! This movie is not just a movie, it's an experience! Expand
  87. Jul 9, 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman is a dark take on the classic fairytale story. This is director, Rupert Sanders, first film and it
  88. Jul 8, 2012
    A wise man once said all stories have already been told. We are merely reinterpreting them. In the case of this film, it was worth every penny. Snow White never looked this cool in the Disney cartoon I grew up with. This one kicks some serious butt.
    The screenplay was very well threated. Everything in place, and every step carefully placed. Nothing in this plot felt like an accidental consequence or a mechanism for an action sequence. But rather a cause and effect of the dramatic conflict between a woman that wants what most of us dream of, to stay young forever, and the beauty that is happy to grow old at her own pace.
    A particularly effective plot mechanism was acknowledging that Charlize Theron's character is haunted by her own dependence on being eternally young. A long standing curse bestowed by past events. Like Beauty, they are both victims of their own past and flawed parenting. Something most of us suffer from one way or another. I believe this is what makes the script particularly good. The believable balance of weakness and power inside the same character.
    I found this picture worth watching based on Charlize's performance alone, but everyone else was superbly cast. Even Kristen Stewart, better known for her demure dramatic style, was fitted flawlessly in the character of Snow White.
    If there was one thing I found missing that I had foolishy hoped for, was the eventual appearance of the Dragon. But, hey, like I said at the start, this is a reinterpretation. One worth watching.
  89. Jul 5, 2012
    Not a terrible movie but I expected more. It got boring at times and you may find yourself dozing off while at other times it was amusing. I believe it is highly overrated by the critics.
  90. Jul 3, 2012
    Look this movie was amazing effects wise but the plot was lacking a coupple things. Also Kirsten has still got that crossed eyed thing happening hahah god love her though.
  91. Jul 2, 2012
    Very predictable and slow moving plot. I felt like I was there for 4 hours. The movie had some beautiful scenery but the acting was shockingly poor (I was going in expecting it to be one of the better parts of the movie) and I think its because of the directing and the writing because there were some pretty good actors in here. Don't waste your money this is the kind of movie you put onVery predictable and slow moving plot. I felt like I was there for 4 hours. The movie had some beautiful scenery but the acting was shockingly poor (I was going in expecting it to be one of the better parts of the movie) and I think its because of the directing and the writing because there were some pretty good actors in here. Don't waste your money this is the kind of movie you put on when you want to take a nap. Expand
  92. Jul 2, 2012
    Looks fantastic but this film is a complete borefest. Stewart is a terrible lead and gives the audience no reason to care about her what so ever. Whether happy or sad, her face doesn't move from that surly grimmace. Although Hemsworth is let down by a bad character his performance is quite good. Theron starts well but her antics are same ol same ol and there is little else to herLooks fantastic but this film is a complete borefest. Stewart is a terrible lead and gives the audience no reason to care about her what so ever. Whether happy or sad, her face doesn't move from that surly grimmace. Although Hemsworth is let down by a bad character his performance is quite good. Theron starts well but her antics are same ol same ol and there is little else to her character. The story itself doesn't seem to know what it is doing with itself, is it an action flick, fantasy or romance? It tries to focus on each so hard in certain places that it backfires and none of them gel together. I also feel a good 20-30mins of 'nothingness' could have cut out, it consistently drags between the odd scene which actually catch your attention. The only saving grace is the CGI, coustumes and setting which are all excellent. 4/10 Expand
  93. Jul 1, 2012
    "An Amazing Movie Experience! It has the full-scale charm of many other epic fantasies like the Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia even if it mimics them too deeply..." I've always wanted to see a different version of Snow White. I've seen Disney' version countless times already and for the most part, I'd admired the artwork and the sing-a-long songs that made that experience"An Amazing Movie Experience! It has the full-scale charm of many other epic fantasies like the Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia even if it mimics them too deeply..." I've always wanted to see a different version of Snow White. I've seen Disney' version countless times already and for the most part, I'd admired the artwork and the sing-a-long songs that made that experience so 'lively.' However, I knew the Grimm' had a different perspective, one of darker and meaningful aspects...more lets just say 'grim.' When I watched in my childhood, I never looked into it really. All I really cared about was of that red-looking apple whom was eaten by Snow White and it made me really hungry for an apple. However, as I look back on it now; the Snow White legend really came off as a creepy and cautionary tale just like that of the Little Red Riding Hood. We each have our own interpretation which is undeniable but we all can agree that the story of Snow White isn't always the most jolly out of all the other Grimm stories that our 'mother' (oddly enough) used to read to us. In fact, the Little Red Riding Hood was meant to scare little children. I mean come on! A little girl with a red coat walking straight through the dark forest is kind of creepy in itself just like that of a little white girl swinging on the swings at the hours of midnight. Its even more scary when she meets a talking wolf who then eats her grandmother and dresses up to be like her....that to me is very strange. Anyways, the storyline for this movie is still the same. However, it felt like the characters were just trying to find a way which is entirely understandable and it made the experience feel human, so it wasn't so predictable in that sense. The performances were memorable and I really loved that each actor went deep into their roles even though sometimes that's not always the case for the many other films they played in. Charlize Theron' Ravenna is now one of my favorite villains. In the film, she has a good back story; its touching, sad and tragic so it does explain why she's the way she is. I felt a little sympathetic because not only is she the many Kings tool (not to mentioned curse), she's just like any other human. She fears death and growing older. She also feels (like I mentioned) used and replaced. However, I can't sympathize with her too long because sooner or later her cold eyes pop out and her character turns like the prophetic Evil Queen. This movie was meant to be played by Kristen Stewart. Although many complain that she isn't the fairest of them all, let alone Charlize Theron. Just to put it out there; I think Kristen Stewart is one of Hollywood's most unique actresses because she is shy and she does want to keep her personal life to herself. I have to say too is that she is gorgeous-attractive even hot when she wants to be and many others will agree (her fans mostly). Snow White has been imprisoned in her room for 10 years so her voice is raspy and she is 'shy.' However, (when you're watching this film) her character has this sort of drive-determination and power especially when she's in the Dark Forest; always pushing and moving forward...I mean I would though if my life depended on it but that's not the case here, she even says the Lords Prayer: 'forgive the sins of others.' She even goes to battle with shining armor and faces (in the end) the Queen. I mean doesn't Snow White sound at all familiar to Kristen Stewart' publicity and their hate campaign. Kristen Stewart conveys a lot of emotions in this one and in many of the scenes, lets out a couple of tears. Chris Hemsworth is completely watchable as the drunken huntsman. When he's battling it with Finn, couple times I wanted to shout out 'COME ON WHERE'S YOUR HAMMER!?!!'
    Overall, he's noticeable and has a good screen presence. The Dwarves are what made the movie experience more lighter and happy (?). They took off the heavy load of the first hour and brought us to the Sanctuary. One of my favorite scenes. The visuals are impressive as can be. I mean clearly you can see it through the trailers and clips. The cinematography balances out, changing from dark to light. The camerawork is also impressive and less shakier than that of The Hunger Games (loved that film btw). I'd also liked the many battle scenes and the grand scale of it all. It was truly a unique experience. The visuals and the script made most of the scenes memorable. The disappointing factor is sort of the end. They build so much tension in the first hour and a half that the second half is a let down. I loved every scene until the last 5 minutes. The most dramatic and emotional scene came from the two main actresses and the showdown. The music was what made it so compelling and I have to give props to Mr. James Newton Howard because he really does capture that epic fairy-tale action. So a sold 5 on his part.
  94. Jun 27, 2012
    this movie has some many good points and some bad. good: the hunter (Chris Hemsworth), this fantastic along with William and Queen, but I have to say that Kristen Stewart is horrible, because she never changes her face, she is always the same, but in compensation she does not ta rubbing their hands in the body of nobody
  95. Jun 27, 2012
    Snow White & the Huntsman. Although this Snow White in nothing like the Snow White we know, (such as Walt Disney's original classic) An imaginative and darker story of its own lies within this Snow White tell - similar, in some ways, to Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland." My guess is you'll either think one of two ways about this film, you'll either like it or you won't. Though, it's noSnow White & the Huntsman. Although this Snow White in nothing like the Snow White we know, (such as Walt Disney's original classic) An imaginative and darker story of its own lies within this Snow White tell - similar, in some ways, to Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland." My guess is you'll either think one of two ways about this film, you'll either like it or you won't. Though, it's no where near perfect, I'll say that I did enjoy this Darker tale of Snow White, be it nothing like the one I know and love. "Lips red as blood. Hair black as night. Bring me your heart my dear, dear Snow White." Expand
  96. Jun 25, 2012
    The movie in a nutshell is a paper thin, almost-barely-there plotline hidden under a veil of drop-dead gorgeous visuals. When the simplistic plotline is present, it is nebulous at best, and it leads the viewer to question why is this here? what is the purpose of this? and most importantly, why do I care? It's very frustrating and infuriating. There is seriously so much random **** all overThe movie in a nutshell is a paper thin, almost-barely-there plotline hidden under a veil of drop-dead gorgeous visuals. When the simplistic plotline is present, it is nebulous at best, and it leads the viewer to question why is this here? what is the purpose of this? and most importantly, why do I care? It's very frustrating and infuriating. There is seriously so much random **** all over the place that while watching the film, I pictured it as a 10,000 piece jigsaw puzzle opened by the film crew that was only partially put together and then submitted as complete. All the parts that should clearly be focused on aren't (what is the purpose behind the forest deer) and all the parts that shouldn't be focused on are (there is no need to show a campfire scene for like 10 minutes, much less at all). The big WTF moment is when a romantic plotline materializes out of thin air. The acting was flat, except for Charlize Theron, whose sinister performance I believed to an extent. Now on the other side, the visuals might have been the most spectacular I have seen since Avatar, and the set design and costumes were flawless. Is that enough to hold up a film when so much else is lacking? I'm not sure. It depends on the viewer. As for me, I was completely underwhelmed by a movie that could have and should have been more. Done right, this film could have been amazing. Is the film bad? No, but it isn't great either. And that's a big shame because I was rooting for it. Expand
  97. Jun 22, 2012
    Snow White and the Huntsman brings a good and dark point of view to the famous and lovable tale. Charlize Theron totally makes the movie with her evilness and great acting. Although Kristen Stewart's performance is just barely up to par, audiences will enjoy the movie.
  98. Jun 21, 2012
    While a far better film than Mirror Mirror (which I had to walk out of), Snow White fails to live up to the very stylish and cool initial 30 minutes or so. Slogging through the Forrest gets a little old, and the 2nd half of the movie in general is little bloated. And I hated the ending.
  99. Jun 20, 2012
    Out of all the live-action Snow White adaptions, I don't think i've watched any that are nearly as good as this one. You'll get great performances from most of the lead actors and the cgi is nice too. Even if there is occasionally unintentional humor, the story really works.
  100. Jun 17, 2012
    My wife had eagerly awaited this movie for months, being a huge fan of the Twilight and Thor movies, and so, on opening day, I was drug to see it on the big screen. After the viewing, I'm going to go with a "not bad". It was an interesting twist on an old classic set within an alluring world of magic. Some of the movie lasted a little too long for my taste and the queen's past motivationsMy wife had eagerly awaited this movie for months, being a huge fan of the Twilight and Thor movies, and so, on opening day, I was drug to see it on the big screen. After the viewing, I'm going to go with a "not bad". It was an interesting twist on an old classic set within an alluring world of magic. Some of the movie lasted a little too long for my taste and the queen's past motivations were not truly needed, but, that said, one could do a lot worst with a summer blockbuster. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tal Rosenberg
    Jun 2, 2012
    The CGI effects are so slick that they undercut the movie's shock value, and the action moves too quickly to instill a real sense of fear, but this is still visually impressive, with spectacular make-up, costumes, and cinematography.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 1, 2012
    Attempts to inject a little humor via the antics of the dwarves don't work, especially since one of the little people is killed early in the proceedings. No one's going to be singing "Hi ho! Hi ho! It's off to work we go!" after that happens.
  3. Reviewed by: Elizabeth Weitzman
    Jun 1, 2012
    It's Theron who owns this film, imbuing her deliciously depraved Queen with furious pain and deep-seated fear.