6.2

1. Aug 31, 2014
    I certainly enjoyed more than one moment of this film--nearly all of them related to the wonderful performance from Charlize Theron. I could've watched her all night. Unfortunately, she was under-used and the Huntsman received much more screen-time.
  2. Aug 24, 2014
    There should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of herThere should be a rule to forbid Kristen Stewart for being handed leading roles, or being in close-ups; the girl can't act! She has only one facial expression! Already proved in "Twilight" movies, did someone think she would be shocked out of the stupor when glittering vampires vanished? (Or the corporate brains trust that the teenage audience will bring in enough cash just because of her face plastered on big screen.)

The movie is visually awesome, there is no getting around that. It was refreshing to see normal-sized men as dwarves, too, and it took me a while to make out some familiar faces there.

For all the visuals in the world, the characters seemed to have too little to work on, Ms. Stewart is simply horrible and can't convey any kind of emotion, Hemsworth after "Thor" is impressive but sort of drifts away into the corner, and Charlize Theron is impressive but the script and lack of good lines fail her. (And yes, nearer the end this goes, the more horrible the lines all around!)

There are rarely movies that make me laugh when there's nothing to laugh about (in this movie's case it was out of nervousness, sympathy and disbelief, usually when Snow White was in the limelight). I tried to like the movie, and there were good moments, but they never lasted and I can't express it enough that any other member of the female gender would have done a more endearing job as the "fairest of them all".
  3. Jul 25, 2014
    We finally see this classic story with an edgy version. However ,it lacks the twist, adds absolute nothing to the original story and it turns into a long slow paced mess. Kristen Steward is miscast and I cannot see her as Snow White.
  4. Jun 25, 2014
    The movie was actually a pretty good movie for a fairy-tale twist. The casting was excellent, the action was good, and some CGI shots were beautiful and incredible. It was a bit dark and violent compared to the original Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It might have dark and sad moments but it does have a bright and happy ending.
  5. Jun 3, 2014
    Once the film got pass the heavy introduction part, it actually got pretty interesting and entertaining. Sure, "Snow White and the Huntsman" might have borrowed some stuff from other (and better) fantasy films and if you think about it for a while, you'll see the plot holes, but nevertheless, it was a decent summer popcorn movie and I don't regret seeing it.
  6. May 19, 2014
    Enjoyable movie with great casting and awesome effects. The 7 dwarfs are a who's who of the best character actors around. Charlize is hamming it up, Kristen makes for a pretty and feisty Snow White and it's not a bad effort for a first time director
  7. Apr 18, 2014
    love it, just love it!!! the acting, scenery, body tension and language oh wow i just love it! best film ever!!!!!!!!!! i know some people don't like Kristen Stewart but i love her because the way she only uses a few facial expressions really emphasizes her purity and innocence. The huntsman is such a great character; strong, brave and fearless on the outside but troubled, mournful and haslove it, just love it!!! the acting, scenery, body tension and language oh wow i just love it! best film ever!!!!!!!!!! i know some people don't like Kristen Stewart but i love her because the way she only uses a few facial expressions really emphasizes her purity and innocence. The huntsman is such a great character; strong, brave and fearless on the outside but troubled, mournful and has a need to be loved on the inside. The evil queen is just superb! she is so amazing that even when she isn't speaking you are scared of her! i would recommend this to anybody over the age of 11, no younger because it has quite a dark, gruesome plot with lots of violence and blood loss ha ha ha. but this is by far the best film i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  8. Mar 17, 2014
    I liked the idea and movie very much, Charlize Theron look's amazing as always except one thing... Kristen Stewart she doesn't look like an actress at all. She looked week in this movie, not like a leader, her face is always expressionless and gives the impression of martyrs.
  9. Mar 4, 2014
    Interesting to see a darker adaption to the story, but it fails to deliver in most places. Casting, pacing and script all in the limelight here to name a few. A couple of good scenes dotted here and there, but overall you just get the feeling of being endlessly dragged along scene by scene to an ending that is already extremely well known.
  10. Feb 8, 2014
    "Snow White and the Huntsman" has beautiful costumes and visuals, and is well acted, but lacks originality and consistency. It often feels like it is a mixture of many other ideas that other fantasy films have already used. The lack of detail explanation is frustrating at times as well, but overall, "Snow White and the Huntsman" is still a decent summer blockbuster movie to watch.
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    I'm going to get most of the bad out of the way first. The movie falls woefully short of its true potential. Narratively it's not really satisfying. It didn't quite have the scope it needed, and the way it tried to add in a love triangle annoyed me. It's not really an important or big aspect of the film, but it didn't need to be there at all. Some of the dialogue and supportingI'm going to get most of the bad out of the way first. The movie falls woefully short of its true potential. Narratively it's not really satisfying. It didn't quite have the scope it needed, and the way it tried to add in a love triangle annoyed me. It's not really an important or big aspect of the film, but it didn't need to be there at all. Some of the dialogue and supporting casting choices I didn't really like either. Now on to the good, which is more plentiful than the bad. The choice to create a darker and more adult take on Snow White is a fascinating one. It even occasionally strikes into some stunningly operatic atmospheric tones. I don't know why everyone is complaining about Kristen Stewart being cast as Snow White. She may not have an extremely wide acting range, but she still does fine by me here. Perhaps the most impressive aspects of the film are the visual effects and cinematography. The creatures, hallucinations, and transformations are all very impressive. I'm even starting to wonder if Life of Pi really deserved the visual effects Oscar over it. It all could have very easily been turned into Twilightesque garbage, but for the most part it admirably abandons its sometimes obvious urges to do so. I enjoyed the movie, and I'm willing to bet most other people would too. Still though, I'm hoping for the sequel to be a big improvement. Expand
  12. Nov 3, 2013
    Disappointing. Acting was good (surprisingly Kristen Stewart was decent), and Charlize Theron was particularly excellent. The Huntsman is typecast for Chris and he did a good enough job. Great special effects. The dwarves were okay. I was not very impressed with this film.
  13. Sep 30, 2013
    Interesting twist on an old original This film was much more entertaining than I had expected. Great story, wonderful visuals and the cast worked quite well together.
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    this was a very interesting portrayal of the Disney classic. I didn't think Kirsten Stewart would be very good in this movie but I thought she did alright with her character. I didn't feel very intimidated by the queen. many of the scenes she was in, she was weak and vulnerable. also, the romantic part of the movie was broken.
  15. Aug 5, 2013
    No es una pelicula clara puedo llegar que fue tiempo perdido pero almenos tiene trayectoria y es entendible, las cosas salen mas o menos pero no es mala
  16. Jul 21, 2013
    More of 2 hs missed in this boring crap, also the main character is a skinny ugly one, thumbs down, don't waste your precious time...if you want to see a fantasie movie go to Red Riding Hood
  17. Jul 20, 2013
    Snow White and the Huntsman is a great old-fashioned fantasy adventure film in the same vein as Willow. These films are hard to come by these days (discounting the Lord of the Rings juggernaut, of course), so it's refreshing to see that they're still being made. This Snow White interpretation is simply great fun to watch. The only downer; Chris Hemsworth's AWFUL Scottish accent. Oh dear...
  18. Jul 14, 2013
    An awesome fantasy epic film that has an interesting twist on the classic story. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the interestingly fresh script, the direction, the visuals (the best of the film I'd say), the acting (yes, I like Kristen Stewart- get over it), the music and the set designs. They really tried hard with this film, while it is darker, I personally really enjoyed thisAn awesome fantasy epic film that has an interesting twist on the classic story. I really enjoyed the cinematography, the interestingly fresh script, the direction, the visuals (the best of the film I'd say), the acting (yes, I like Kristen Stewart- get over it), the music and the set designs. They really tried hard with this film, while it is darker, I personally really enjoyed this film and it is a great fantasy film that does deserve a sequel. Expand
  19. Jun 17, 2013
    Great visuals Charlize Theron stole the show
    the story as we know it is so fresh and timeless Kristen Stewart is so talentless she can't even fake a smile Chris Hemsworth was good
  20. Jun 7, 2013
    Whatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could findWhatever. Kristen Stewart is painful to watch. She couldn't act her way out of a box. Charlize Theron is great as the queen and is truly insane and tragic, the best part of the film is watching her come undone. Theron seems to have a knack for these kinds of roles. It's just not engaging enough though. It's full of cliche', cheeseball moments that only a high school sophomore could find entertaining. The soundtrack may as well have been a H.I.M. record. It's sad that this was Bob Hoskins last film. The dwarfs were pretty well done! Overall it's not a memorable movie. It's just without substance. The moral of the film is arresting and oppressive. I was hoping Theron would triumph and continue her jaded reign over her bleak little kingdom of annoying dwarfs and cliche' prince charmings, but alas, that's not how the fairy tale goes! Entirely forgettable. Expand
  21. May 29, 2013
    A never dull reinvention of the classic tale of the fairest one of all, Snow White. But also an interesting and darkened twist on the world surrounding her. This is also quite a positive step away for leading actress Kristen Stewart, proving her capability outside of the Twilight storm clouds.
    When the beautiful yet evil Queen Ravenna (Charlize Theron) ransacks kingdom after kingdom to maintain her youth and to lay waste to those who not only stand against her, but the men of the world who she sees as 'using' women to better themselves, until they are of no use. She then consumes all the youth and purity of the young women in the kingdom for her to be told by her mystical mirror that she is 'the "the fairest of them all".
    But when Snow White comes of age, that very mirror soon changes its tone, to the disbelief of the Queen, but our fairest lady manages to escape her clutches, but also retreats into the Dark Forest, the most wild and unpredictable of places, where only one man has travelled and came back, Eric the Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth), a drunk but sorrowful man in the hands of self-destruction after losing his wife.
    The tale of course has been given a drastic makeover but only to tell a more gritty and sombre story, and combined with some glorious set pieces and even some surprisingly great acting, an enjoyable story is told.
    Kristen Stewart delivers a very different yet effective performance, in the Twilight films she made it all about her, without seeming to care about those around her, a writing ploy and not the actresses fault, but here she definitely puts across someone who cares for everything around her, leading everyone astray with her charm and her undeniable beauty.
    Chris Hemsworth takes a break from being the God of Thunder and decides to protect Snow White, his characters determination and heart all shine through when he is protecting a woman he was sent to capture. The dwarves also make an appearance in a different way as a band of misfits on the road, all telling the bigger picture of a retelling of a classic story.
    It has a riveting and epic finale, and with other stars including Ian McShane, Ray Winstone and Sam Claflin, Snow White and the Huntsman is an excellent fantasy tale with wit, grown up tendencies and excellent scenes of wonderful battle, all while maintaining its classic roots.
  22. May 4, 2013
    I heard some bad stuff about this movie, but it was actually pretty good. I like any movie that takes you to another world and it did just that for me.
  23. Apr 30, 2013
    NOTE: A software flaw causes words to repeat.

“Snow White and the Huntsman” is a retelling of one of the Brothers’ Grimm fairy tales, the well known stories that explore some very primal emotions and desires. This interpretation is full of dark and forbidding landscapes, adding to the mystery and beauty of this work. The idea of Snow White is likely already formed, in the minds of
    NOTE: A software flaw causes words to repeat.

The idea of Snow White is likely already formed, in the minds of most viewers, by the Disney cartoon of 1937. This film is so different, it’s a stretch to think of think of them as originating in the same story.

It’s hard to imagine that Kristen Stewart would be anyone’s first thought to play the character of Snow White. Slight of frame, dark-haired, and dressed in tattered rags for most of the film, Stewart is left decidedly unglamorous. But this is her film from start to finish. She speaks in an old English accent, but often it’s not the words she speaks, but the halting and stifled sounds she utters that bring her character, and her plight, to life.
    The script is threadbare. More important are the themes; aging, jealousy, beauty, and death. In most films these are submerged, or clumsily broached if they exist at all. But the Grimm tales are from a different time, and take us to a different place. They confront these touchstone subjects directly, and the characters in the film, Snow White, the Queen, her dutiful brother, and the huntsman, stand in for these fundamental desires.

In the role of the huntsman, Chris Hemsworth handles the roguish aspects easily, and conveys his heartbreak convincingly. He contrasts well with Stewart, who is at times ethereal, at times vulnerable and childlike. Charlize Theron feels overplayed, but makes a suitably frightening queen. She has a scene where she says not a single word, and hardly moves, but it might be the most powerful shot in the film; we feel all too well the misery of growing old.

The actors playing the dwarves are well cast and funny, all renowned British actors. The character of Muir, though, played by Bob Hoskins, mars the story with hokey prognostications.

To convey how lost she is, director Sanders shoots Snow White's chase scenes from many perspectives. As a result, we're robbed of any sense of where the characters are, in relation to each other. The battle scenes are often just as confused and unclear. Sanders chooses the easy way out, packing the soundtrack with crashing swords and battle cries, or cuts so short and jumpy no one could possibly make sense of the action. He’s saved by the music and sound design, which smooth things out, to a degree. At times there is only a lone voice, quietly singing, to set the tone.

For all the rich possibilities, the film is barely a love story; there’s only the slightest hint of romance between Snow White and the huntsman, and director Sanders seems uninterested in this part of the tale. It’s a regrettable omission. The kiss that awakens Snow White is followed by a bizarre absence of joy at her return, among her supposedly passionate and loyal followers. It’s a great loss for the film, as this could have been among it’s most touching moments. Instead, it’s the most perfunctory. The final battle is anticlimactic, too, after the story stirred us so effectively in the first two thirds of the film.

It’s a puzzle why there is a ‘Sanctuary‘. If the dwarves and townsfolk can escape to that magical land, why are they miserable? Late in the film, there's an abrupt transition to winter. We’re suddenly in a snowy landscape, as the Queen tricks Snow White with her poisoned apple. But what happened in the interim? How much time has passed? It's a clumsy transition, and disrupts the story.

In a few of her interviews, Stewart remarked that she liked her role because, unlike a lot of the scripts being offered to her, it wasn’t one where 'the male lead had just been rewritten as a female.’ That may be true, but it’s not what bothered me about this adaptation. The problem is that none of the stereotypes of the Grimm fairy tales are challenged. The character of Ravenna, in the act of killing her husband, tells us she is murdering him because ‘men use women up when they’re young and beautiful, and then throw them away.’ But we quickly see that her real motivation isn’t that at all; it’s to achieve ‘immortality‘.

I’m not sure why the Grimm’s tales are still so revered; they’re probably the leading culprit in many of the stereotypes we have about aging and looks. The stories conflate ugliness and wickedness, or beauty and goodness. Why didn’t the writers change that, if they were going to really alter the story? They only changed it in insignificant ways. Snow White herself might be feminine, but she also comes with the standard triumvirate of qualities needed to be loved: youth, beauty, and goodness in one desirable package. That’s the lesson young girls still have to learn, it turns out, all these years later.
  24. Apr 20, 2013
    A film that relies very heavily on special effects and I think it’s because of this that it doesn’t quite work. I never see it as a good sign when there are more than two writers and there are three in this case. I generally means that the studio has had more than a passing interest in the mechanics of the storytelling (never a good sign). What you end up with (as in this case) is a filmA film that relies very heavily on special effects and I think it’s because of this that it doesn’t quite work. I never see it as a good sign when there are more than two writers and there are three in this case. I generally means that the studio has had more than a passing interest in the mechanics of the storytelling (never a good sign). What you end up with (as in this case) is a film that looks very good, but usually has little, or no, substance. Yes, Charlize Theron is pretty good as the evil queen, as is Chris Hemsworth as The Huntsman; sadly the same cannot be said of Kristen Stewart. Don’t get me wrong, I rate her as an actress but she just doesn’t have the screen presence to carry off this role. I give her full marks for effort, but, for me at least, it didn’t quite work. Over all, the film only got interesting when the dwarves turned up and that was an hour into it. I think for the sequel (yes there’s a sequel in the works) they’ll have to put a lot more work into telling the story and a little less into making it look good on screen.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED (…but only just)

My score: 5.8/10
  25. Apr 13, 2013
    Theron was simply amazing, she brought the movie to life, and i'm gonna say that Stewart was total buzz-killer because she can't pass beyond Twilight. I wanted and expected ACTION and something that will prove Stewart is more that just Swan girl. But girl just can't show her emotion like professional actors do. Well, but still the movie was enjoyable.
  26. Mar 21, 2013
    No amount of pretty can rescue this film from having a surprisingly shallow plot and a minimalist approach to character development.

The single best part of this movie is Charlize Theron's CRAZY routine, which as such is given the most time in the film over any other singular thing. The title characters feel like subplots over this broad's complete lunacy, and frankly I wouldn't have it any other way.

That said, I feel traitorous reviewing this film because it calls attention to a film that doesn't as such deserve it.
  27. Mar 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great i love love love Charlize Theron. And great cast... other than Kristen Stewart. She is so boring fairest of them all my a$$ she is a dog compared to Charlize. also i think they forgot the part where her hair should be black all the time instead of 50% of the movie. She would not even be a thought in my mind to be snow white.... my first pick no questions asked would have been Alexandra Daddario she would be perfect!! Expand
  28. Mar 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all, I was trying to imagine myself watching this when I was child. Why Well, it's clearly not for adult viewers. The story It's simply too obvious.
    The movie looks GORGEOUS. Seriously, stuning effects and the environments looks amazing. But they kinda don't mix. The dark part it's pretty gothic but the "light" part is...wel...as someone described, "too Narnia". With the exception of the Queen, the characters are just too shallow and the relantionship between them simply doesn't develops enoght for such a long movie. The acting doesn't help it either. Kristin is just plain BAD in this movie. I even made an eforth to like Hemsworth character, but, I didn't. The script wasn't good. The dwarfs are cool, specially Beith, but, again, is like you don't get to know em properlly.

The main character is absurdelly ridiculous. She has been lock in a tower for like, what, 10 years And when she got out she swims perfectly and, a few days later, it's sword fighting like she has been used to it her whole life. I don't know man... Fiction needs to be even more coherent that non-fiction stuff or else I get disgusted by it. Anyway, is kinda worth it, but you won't be amazed by anything
  29. Mar 2, 2013
    I can imagine the studio pitch; "imagine Snow White meets The Lord of the Rings!" "Perfect! We'll make it!" The result is middle of the road, boring, liberally pilfers from numerous sources, predictable, forgettable and bland. I was laughing more often than not, as the film seemed to (unwittingly) reference Jabberwocky, Monty Python The Quest For The Holy Grail. Good points: the troll?I can imagine the studio pitch; "imagine Snow White meets The Lord of the Rings!" "Perfect! We'll make it!" The result is middle of the road, boring, liberally pilfers from numerous sources, predictable, forgettable and bland. I was laughing more often than not, as the film seemed to (unwittingly) reference Jabberwocky, Monty Python The Quest For The Holy Grail. Good points: the troll? What is your favourite colour? Expand
  30. Feb 13, 2013
    A gritty in-your-face version with some interesting twists and fantastic CG and full-on realism. Nice acting all round. Could have drawn more emotion from some of the later scenes but well done nonetheless.

1. Reviewed by: Tal Rosenberg
    Jun 2, 2012
    The CGI effects are so slick that they undercut the movie's shock value, and the action moves too quickly to instill a real sense of fear, but this is still visually impressive, with spectacular make-up, costumes, and cinematography.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Jun 1, 2012
    Attempts to inject a little humor via the antics of the dwarves don't work, especially since one of the little people is killed early in the proceedings. No one's going to be singing "Hi ho! Hi ho! It's off to work we go!" after that happens.
  3. Reviewed by: Elizabeth Weitzman
    Jun 1, 2012
    It's Theron who owns this film, imbuing her deliciously depraved Queen with furious pain and deep-seated fear.