Anchor Bay Entertainment | Release Date: May 21, 2010
5.4
Mixed or average reviews based on 40 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SecretAgentGalSep 19, 2010
Michael Douglas fans will enjoy his flawless performance as disgraced businessman Ben Kalmen in the darkly funny Solitary Man.

Hailed as giving his best performance since Wonder Boys and Wall Street, Douglas plays an unlikeable but irresistible car salesman facing a mid-life crisis. His doctor worries about Kalmen's EKG, and orders further tests. Kalmen flees reality as he schmoozes, drinks and parties his way to near-oblivion. We meet him again six years later.

Kalmen is determined to do all the things he ever wanted to do in life, he tells his loyal ex-wife Susan Sarandon. For him this means cheating, lying, and even enjoying a one-night stand with the daughter (Imogen Poots) of his current girlfriend (Mary-Louise Parker).

Douglas brings much depth and charisma to his character Kalmen. Along his downward spiral he seeks to mentor a nerdy college student (Jesse Eisenberg), and reunites with an old buddy (Danny DeVito), who exudes wit and wisdom as he operates a diner. Yet Kalmen's continued bad choices alienate almost everyone around him.

Solitary Man not only shows the personal costs of the ego run amuck in Kalmen's sex addiction, but the human side of a detestable man. Jailed for his business transgressions at the height of his fame as "New York's Honest Car Dealer," Kalmen begs with panache from his daughter (Jenna Fischer) and ex-wife.

David Levien and Brian Koppelman (who wrote and directed Knockaround Guys and The Girlfriend Experience) direct this showcase for Douglas with the help of an excellent cast. Koppelman also wrote Solitary Man's intelligent script.

Finally Sarandon and DeVito are the characters who genuinely understand and seek to help Ben. In his own twisty mind, Kalmen believes he is helping himself.

Douglas will reprise his role as Gordon Gekko in Oliver Stone's Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps (2010).
TonyFeb 1, 2011
Douglas is good and the script is smartly written, but I can't say that I found Douglas' character to be likable enough to care about how the film ended. I also can't say that I actually believed the daughter would sleep with Douglas'Douglas is good and the script is smartly written, but I can't say that I found Douglas' character to be likable enough to care about how the film ended. I also can't say that I actually believed the daughter would sleep with Douglas' character either. Awfully skeezy/farfetched. Expand
Film_Fanatic_15Nov 22, 2010
Michael Douglas is at his best in this dark comedy. The film is intelligent, sexy, funny, and pure fun. It gives you just enough drama to keep it interesting, while silently incorporating amusement when you least expect it. Jesse EisenbergMichael Douglas is at his best in this dark comedy. The film is intelligent, sexy, funny, and pure fun. It gives you just enough drama to keep it interesting, while silently incorporating amusement when you least expect it. Jesse Eisenberg still shows he is a rising star, with raw acting talent. You have Douglas' right hand man Danny DeVito, who gives a notable side role. The dialogue between Susan Sarandon's character and Michael Douglas' are some of my favorite moments, despite the several "WTF just happened" moments that will keep viewers wondering what other crazy detail will the cast unveil next. No complaints here. Expand
zutopiaJun 16, 2011
The movie is good, but you stay with wanting more, is too short. The best perfomance of Michael Douglas in years contribuites to save the movie, that fails in the poor script and discrete direction.
CasuallyJan 23, 2017
So close! Solitary Man is a masterclass in intelligent, hilarious but most of all truthful storytelling. The situations that Ben (Michael Douglas) finds himself in, and the resulting dialogues, are affecting because they are not strewn withSo close! Solitary Man is a masterclass in intelligent, hilarious but most of all truthful storytelling. The situations that Ben (Michael Douglas) finds himself in, and the resulting dialogues, are affecting because they are not strewn with Hollywood cliche plot twists. Instead we watch the slow and painful demise of a man who deserves his comeuppance and aren't left rolling our eyes at his predictable resurgence to glory.

With a little sprinkling of thicker plot and a less cheesy roll to credits this would be a classic.