New Line Cinema | Release Date: February 18, 2005
6.1
Generally favorable reviews based on 249 Ratings
Watch Now
vetorAug 6, 2017
Son of Mask has horrific and bizarre scenes with lousy special effects, exaggerated interpretations,extremely boring and a script full of holes with no sense at all
FreedomFightersNov 1, 2016
Oftentimes, a film you enjoyed as a kid won't be nearly as good of a watch when you are older. "Son of the Mask" embodies this. Believe it or not, I once enjoyed this film. Nowadays, though, I see just how unfunny, poorly-acted andOftentimes, a film you enjoyed as a kid won't be nearly as good of a watch when you are older. "Son of the Mask" embodies this. Believe it or not, I once enjoyed this film. Nowadays, though, I see just how unfunny, poorly-acted and poorly-designed the film really is. Though it may have potential as a diversion during "Bad Movie Night," this is one you'll generally want to skip. It's simply not worth watching. Expand
Cinemassacre94Mar 20, 2016
The law of diminishing returns dictates that sequels to bad movies are the worst movies of all, because the producers are not only working to rebottle the original non-magic, they're inevitably doomed to come up short. Even by thoseThe law of diminishing returns dictates that sequels to bad movies are the worst movies of all, because the producers are not only working to rebottle the original non-magic, they're inevitably doomed to come up short. Even by those standards, Son Of The Mask is more handicapped than most, since 1994's The Mask was a vehicle tailored to the specific talents of rubber-faced fartsmith Jim Carrey, who's wisely keeping his distance. But as with Dumb And Dumberer, another sequel to a Carrey hit minus its principal cast, New Line owns the property and has retooled it for the thumb-sucking set, so parents are advised to bust out the emergency Ritalin. It's hard to believe that beings as young and delicate as children are the target audience for such a frantic, retina-searing assault on the senses, but as pure visceral experience, Son Of The Mask borders on the experimental.

Ally McBeal fans may want to stick around, though, because their beloved creepy computer-animated dancing baby is back, even in the ultrasound. The spawn of the title comes about when lowly cartoonist Jamie Kennedy discovers the fabled mask in his back yard and wears it to an office Hollywood party, where he turns into a whirling mass of runaway egotism and lame improvisation. The wild night ends with him impregnating his baby-crazed wife Traylor Howard, but the child really belongs to Loki, the Norse god of mischief, who wants his mask back and will stop at nothing to get it. Played by Alan Cumming, who could stand to cool off on the wacky shtick, Loki dons various unfunny disguises in pursuit of the baby while Kennedy tries to play father to an infant whose special qualities include speaking in a lucid adult voice, bouncing off the ceiling, and spraying a geyser of urine into Dad's face.

Though his roots in sketch comedy (TV's The Jamie Kennedy Experiment) make him a natural C-list successor to Carrey, Kennedy mostly occupies the sidelines while his scrappy mutt Otis and the Elasti-baby chase each other around the house. The Scooby-Doo movies are a lesson on the perils of CGI pooches, but nothing is more chilling than a computer-enhanced infant enunciating, sprinting, or doing the Electric Slide. (The worst moment is when the baby first converts from a flesh-and-blood child to a CGI puppet—it's as if his humanity has been cruelly stolen.) No doubt extensive market research shows that there's an audience out there for movies like Son Of The Mask, but it's too depressing to speculate who that might be.
EpicLadySpongeJan 7, 2016
How in the world did this get away with a 6.3 user score and how come there are more positive ratings than negative ratings? This is a shameful sequel to the best Mask movie everyone will see.
EOB900Aug 25, 2015
Just gonna keep this short this is in my top 10 worst of all time list Yeah its that bad and thats a fact
SAVJul 31, 2015
Uscito ben undici anni dopo l'originale The Mask che tanto divertì il pubblico a metà degli anni 90, questo Son of the Mask è un filmetto per famiglie che non ha nulla a che vedere con il suo fortunato prequel. Il protagonista non è più loUscito ben undici anni dopo l'originale The Mask che tanto divertì il pubblico a metà degli anni 90, questo Son of the Mask è un filmetto per famiglie che non ha nulla a che vedere con il suo fortunato prequel. Il protagonista non è più lo spassoso Jim Carrey ma un anonimo Jamie Kennedy, gli attori recitano in modo scialbo, l'ironia maliziosa ha ceduto il posto ad un senso dell'umorismo molto infantile e la trama non è nulla di particolarmente memorabile. Un sequel decisamente mal riuscito. Un vero peccato. Expand
TheDude-Jun 13, 2015
this movie is awful with bad cgi stupid plot horrible acting and dialogue and is way to dumb!! this is easily the 2nd worst movie of all time under cat in the hat
diogomendesNov 9, 2014
"Son of the Mask" mostly looks like an horror movie due to the absence of Jim Carrey, cartoonish CGI, unfunny jokes, wooden performances and disgusting slapstick.
evokingsAug 15, 2014
Oh no not this movie, it was likely the worst movie many people ever saw and In my opinion is really nothing like the instant classic Jim Carey movie The Mask, it seemed like this movie was aimed somewhere in between adults and children, butOh no not this movie, it was likely the worst movie many people ever saw and In my opinion is really nothing like the instant classic Jim Carey movie The Mask, it seemed like this movie was aimed somewhere in between adults and children, but everyone behind the movie kept forgetting which one he/her was trying to please.
as a result, you will see loony tunes like scenes in this movie, dumb childish dialog, and then unintentional scary imagery, guns here and there etc. I put all that in the back of my mind for a moment and reviewed the movie as just a movie by itself, and I cant find a really good story or any real redeeming factors worth waiting for throughout the 94 minutes of pain this movie is.

if you want to watch the worst movie made in the last decade this would be on any hard core movie goers list of worst movies...
I really hated the acting, the script... [well let me save you readers time] the whole movie felt like the whole production team behind it was torturing me...[I'm most likely not the only one who felt this way] this movie is like bad everything only a handful of things are even passable in the film.
please get Jim Carey back and make a real sequel and proudly call it THE MASK 2
awesomefastguyJul 18, 2014
A note for anyone make a sequel to a film. Step one: keep the lead actor. Step two: keep the same writer. Step three: keep the same director. Step four: keep the same age rating.

These are the ways to not horrifically mess up a

These are the ways to not horrifically mess up a sequel. Every single one of my golden rules were broken and the result was this badly made, unfunny, stupidly acted waste of money. There are two mildly amusing moments involving the baby that stopped this rating being 0, but there is still no point whatsoever is watching this film.

If you liked 'The Mask', don't watch this movie. If you like comedy, don't watch this movie. If you like life, don't watch this movie!
dante_finnJun 28, 2014
This is a bad movie. When it tries tp be funny ot just gets really creepy. This is one of the worst films ever made.And this film is much more family-friendly oriented and the tone is much lighter and comical. Infact Ben Stien's personalityThis is a bad movie. When it tries tp be funny ot just gets really creepy. This is one of the worst films ever made.And this film is much more family-friendly oriented and the tone is much lighter and comical. Infact Ben Stien's personality of his character explains how I was during the movie. Expand
warrenworldMay 2, 2014
The second sequel to a Jim Carrey film which doesn't feature Jim Carrey serves as a reminder to always practice safe sex. Even an cartoonish alternate personality can get you pregnant.
ORCSandDRAGONSJan 26, 2014
CHRIST! The movie at times feels like it is actually trying to kill you. SO many disturbing CGI images. I don't see how any child could watch this and not get nightmares. I feel icky after seeing it....
moviematthewNov 8, 2013
"Son Of The Mask" is the worst movie of all time to me. It scared the daylights out of me when it first came out back in 2005. If I was told I had to review this movie for a newspaper, I would turn it down, because there is absolutely no way"Son Of The Mask" is the worst movie of all time to me. It scared the daylights out of me when it first came out back in 2005. If I was told I had to review this movie for a newspaper, I would turn it down, because there is absolutely no way I am going to see "Son Of The Mask" without my plush Twilight Sparkle or without closing my eyes every second. Expand
Rox22Sep 29, 2013
While the movie does have a few redeeming points, I do find the movie just tries too much and too hard. Ultimately ruining itself. The potential is there, and the premise is an OK one that fits the narrative. But the execution is justWhile the movie does have a few redeeming points, I do find the movie just tries too much and too hard. Ultimately ruining itself. The potential is there, and the premise is an OK one that fits the narrative. But the execution is just horrific. How the actors could walk onto the set each day and not feel ashamed, is beyond me. I'm assuming the entire production staff were a LSD test group, making a movie on the side.

Overall:
If I didn't know any better, I would have thought the movie was written directed and produced by a 5 year old. A pointless waste of a movie.
JmsbppAug 6, 2013
solo por un pequeño momento de risas el uno pero lo demas es un cero efectos animados muy malos chistes absurdos para lo que era la mascara de Jim Carrey
SuperheroMoviesAug 5, 2013
A trite, annoying sequel to the funny original that is sorely lacking the presence of the original Mask, Jim Carrey. It may entertain the smallest demanding audiences, but it will disturb all others.
PixarloverMar 12, 2013
Anybody who says ANYTHING positive about the movie CLEARLY HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE!!!!

They're just trolls trying to give a positive reception. They're losers who are ruining Metacritic and the scope of human internet user knowledge.

This movie is just flat out awful from start to finish.
0987Mar 11, 2013
This is a disaster movie, i don't like it!!!!!!!!!!! The Mask with Jim Carrey was much better than this part of mask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
I would call this movie an "overtly feverish onslaught of frivolity", but I'm afraid that after watching this movie, I'm no longer intelligent enough to use such words. Bad, bad movie.
KadeemluvmusicSep 26, 2012
It's very uncool, man. Not cool at all. Son of the Mask is beyond a shadow of a doubt one of the worst sequels of the decade. This movie may just mock Jim Carrey's absence and it nearly failed every minute of it. I love the original MaskIt's very uncool, man. Not cool at all. Son of the Mask is beyond a shadow of a doubt one of the worst sequels of the decade. This movie may just mock Jim Carrey's absence and it nearly failed every minute of it. I love the original Mask where Carrey plays a talkable Frank Sinatra or Don Corleone-like character that likes to have fun and cause so much trouble. That was one of my favorite Jim Carrey movies of all time. I certainly don't know and don't care who casts a sequel to The Mask. Jamie Kennedy, he's a great actor from the Scream movies and Malibu's Most Wanted as a white rapper that sorta look like Eminem. But playing the lead role in Son of The Mask just made a terrible example of how stupid a director should be putting this from a good-old fashion PG-13 movie for adults to bringing a family-friendly kiddie version that is still unwatchable. Maybe it's time for a reboot. Maybe it's about time we need Jim Carrey to bring back the Mask, the type of role that made him a comedic megastar just like Ace Ventura and so on. Expand
MovieLonely94Oct 30, 2010
whats the purpose of this movie? it missed the presence of Jim Carrey from the original. this is by far the worst.
JamesS.May 15, 2010
This movie stinks! Where's Jim Carrey?!
3 of 3 users found this helpful
SethBDec 6, 2009
Films are getting more and more awful by the second and this film is no exception. Its one of those films that is shot nealry entirly with a fish bowl lens and extreme closeups. The effects were awful, the acting was horrific, and the Films are getting more and more awful by the second and this film is no exception. Its one of those films that is shot nealry entirly with a fish bowl lens and extreme closeups. The effects were awful, the acting was horrific, and the cinemography story and everything else was so horid. How this got a rating of 7.8 from users is way beyond me. This film falls under the category of AVOID AT ALL COSTS! Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
GavinCJul 27, 2009
Childish, unfunny, and boring.
4 of 4 users found this helpful
FrankS.Nov 10, 2007
An 8 out 10...an 8 out of 10!!!??? If their was any proof that America's IQ is going down the crapper, one can look no farther than the poor souls that gave this an 8 or higher. A movie directed with all the subtlety of a jackhammer and An 8 out 10...an 8 out of 10!!!??? If their was any proof that America's IQ is going down the crapper, one can look no farther than the poor souls that gave this an 8 or higher. A movie directed with all the subtlety of a jackhammer and wit of Pauly Shore...It is pure garbage. Expand
1 of 2 users found this helpful
NormF.Oct 13, 2007
It's not often you see a movie with all special effects and no script but this is it.
2 of 3 users found this helpful
JohnC.Jul 10, 2007
The worst movie I have ever seen. Not funny, lame, and Jamie Kennedy needs to realize he is not Jim Carrey and he cannot attempt the same slap stick humor it just looks so bad that you almost feel sorry for the poor looser.
2 of 2 users found this helpful
UghLeeMay 30, 2007
I love how there are either 10s or 1's as people's score. You don't see any 5s or 6s... which means you either love or hate it. i hate it. Maybe would have been ok if i was 15 years younger.
xxhopingtearsxxApr 29, 2007
To make a sequel to the Mask, you must include Jim Carrey. Or else, it just wont be the sequel to the Mask.. Pitiful.
LoganHSep 12, 2006
I watched this movie hoping that there would be some sign of JIm Carry, but sadly no.The special effects sucked, and what was up with Jamie Kennedy's face when he put it on. Worst movie I have ever seen
sonicphotoDec 11, 2005
Son of the mask just doesn't quite cut it with the absense of Jim Carrey and the fact that is more based on the kid's crazy stuff then the actual mask. Is not a bad thing but some jokes feel old and overall the plot and story are Son of the mask just doesn't quite cut it with the absense of Jim Carrey and the fact that is more based on the kid's crazy stuff then the actual mask. Is not a bad thing but some jokes feel old and overall the plot and story are too bland. Kids could find good things here and there but teenagers and adults won't find that much enjoyment on this one. Expand
0 of 0 users found this helpful