Songcatcher

8.4

1. DaveX.
    Aug 3, 2001
    An extraordinary film in every way.
  2. LindaP.
    Feb 2, 2005
    Excellent movie, wish I could find this to purchase. Does anyone know who carries this movie for purchase?
  3. HCarpenter
    May 28, 2005
    What a wonderful movie.
  4. JoyceC.
    Jan 10, 2006
    Music. The movie is about music that told stories about the lives and deaths of people. People and their lives were those things in life which the ballads were about. And while the music was being sung, the past noted and an attempt to save that past, the present day life continues to move along, as could be seen by the way in which the lives of the characters evolved in the movie, often Music. The movie is about music that told stories about the lives and deaths of people. People and their lives were those things in life which the ballads were about. And while the music was being sung, the past noted and an attempt to save that past, the present day life continues to move along, as could be seen by the way in which the lives of the characters evolved in the movie, often repeating the stories in the ballads. History repeats itself. Music tells us so. Expand
  5. MeganF.
    Jan 21, 2006
    Music was good, extra unnecessary and inappropriate additions.
  6. Jono
    Apr 1, 2006
    Engrossing and entertaining if not quite delivering a knock out punch. Thoroughly enjoyable performances. Quinn is particular is, as always, a strong screen presence.
  7. KennethfromGA
    Jun 18, 2007
    Wonderful music, reminded me of my childhood, when my family sang. Its sad that a good movie was ruined because of Hollywood thinking that they have to put a lesbian thing in just to appeal to a vocal minority.
  8. DaleA.
    Jul 17, 2001
    Extraordinary music. Wonderful performances. Manages to avoid cliches, but at times the plot is predictable. Kept replaying "Barbara Allen" in my mind all night.
  9. Kathleen
    Aug 25, 2001
    Music was clear as springwater and just as much part of the life portrayed. The Doc's fight for her work to be taken seriously was believable, for then and now. I brought along a sceptic, who was totally mesmerized.
  10. MarcK.
    Mar 3, 2002
    One of the best films of 2001! A shame it didn't have more buzz. Great story, and great acting.
  11. AmandaR.
    Aug 20, 2002
    This is a wonderful movie.It is a movie I could watch over and over.I think it is one of the best movies in that genre I have seen.It may even be one of the best I have seen overall.I would recommend to watch it.
  12. TinaS.
    Aug 28, 2002
    I was really moved by the music. And the move.
  13. LaurenW.
    Apr 12, 2003
    I loved this movie! anyone with an appreciating for music will too!
  14. ChadS.
    Jul 22, 2004
    "Songcatcher" is at its best when Dr. Penleric (Janet McTeer) isn't busy playing man-catcher. The story has a lot in common with Emily Barton's "The Testament of Yves Gundron". Both protagonists visit an isolated community to do research, and falls in love with a local man who's been beyond the country limits. "Songcatcher" loses its way, and this should be obvious to "Songcatcher" is at its best when Dr. Penleric (Janet McTeer) isn't busy playing man-catcher. The story has a lot in common with Emily Barton's "The Testament of Yves Gundron". Both protagonists visit an isolated community to do research, and falls in love with a local man who's been beyond the country limits. "Songcatcher" loses its way, and this should be obvious to everyone, when Lily's academic work is pushed to the background so writer/director Maggie Greenwald could revive "The Children's Hour". This subplot that involves Elna (Jane Adams) and Harriett (E. Katherine Kerr) commercializes "Songcatcher". When Lily's work is destroyed, on another level, we're seeing a good idea destroyed, too, because Greenwald uses spectacle from a secondary story strand to cause arrhythmia in "Songcatcher('s)" beating folk music heart. Nevertheless, Janet McTeer is impressive, and Emmy Rossum makes her debut. A near-miss. Expand
  15. GordonW.
    Mar 14, 2005
    Thoroughly enjoyable and inspiring. The beautiful photography, music and acting together paints a picture of the culture in a part of America that we cannot forget!
  16. RobertW.
    Nov 25, 2006
    This is a truly awesome film the likes of which I have not seen before. The film portrays such a deep seated belief that this is how it happened wherever the folk song collectors worked whether it be in the appalachian mountains or in deepest english rural communities. A must keep film for all enthusiats of traditional song. Robert Berry, Wiltshire Folk Arts, England.
  17. ElizabethK.
    Apr 20, 2006
    This was an awesome movie that showed how pure the music was that the mountain occupants were singing. I thought that the lesbian scences were unnessacary and had no meaning to the story plot. Overall i thought it was a wonderful movie and many other people should join in the joy of the movie
  18. AlB.
    Aug 21, 2002
    What a piece of american history. It's important to relive the cultural roots of our nations' birth of original music
  19. MovieBuff
    Feb 24, 2006
    A good movie for those who appreciate great music.
  20. KathyO.
    Nov 18, 2007
    Simpy very well written.
  21. May 13, 2016
    I have always enjoyed this movie. Great job to all the actors and great music also.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-21660-Songcatcher

1. Baltimore Sun
    Reviewed by: Chris Kaltenbach
    Whenever the movie threatens to become just another visit to hillbilly-land, the music starts up and the film's gentle, irresistible wonder takes hold. Songcatcher is a film very much worth catching.
  2. Greenwald's film is filled with an infectious love for the region's songs. It could hardly be otherwise, given the level of musical talent she recruited for Songcatcher.
  3. Has enough virtues to make it successful, including an unusual story and some fine acting, especially by the powerful Janet McTeer.