8.7

1. CraigT.
    Jul 9, 2002
    This movie made me laugh, made me cry and being from white trash it reminded me of my mixed up family. Besides I grew up with Kitty, Loretta and I just LOVE Tammy W.
  2. Alex
    Jul 3, 2002
    My friend from Oklahoma is conviced that was his family...no exaggeration!
  3. MichaelK.
    Sep 8, 2002
    I've only seen this movie four times - and I continue to be entertained. I'ts definitely a cult film - and has enough sexual equality to please a nun.
  4. MartinL.
    May 15, 2001
    One of the funniest films I've seen EVER!
  5. JamesR.
    May 17, 2001
    Finally a movie not afraid to laugh at our own dysfunction of loving to watch dysfunction! In a shocking yet delicious casting coupe, Olivia Newton-John tops it off with a performance that punctuates the hilarity!
  6. BobbeK.
    Oct 20, 2002
    I don't know where the reviewers sense of humor went when they saw this.....Everyone of my friends loved it and my husband and I liked it so much we are hoping to see it again on Video.
  7. WadeB.
    Mar 10, 2002
    The critics just don't know great comedy when they see it. Growing up Gay in a Southern Baptist Family, this film is not only the funniest I've ever seen, it's so, so true! I went three times, took all my friends and they loved it too. Can't wait until it's available on DVD.
  8. NatalieM.
    Apr 18, 2002
    I Loved It!!! I just saw it yesterday, and it will remain in my mind for a long, long time. I laughed and cried at the same time. Thanks to all the cast and crew. A wonderful contribution to this world.
  9. JohnR.
    Jun 1, 2002
    I have not laughed so hard or so long at a movie in many many years. Wonderful cast and a fine play/movie.
  10. JerryL.
    Aug 4, 2002
    Great humor, great story, so extremely exaggerated, that it is life-like, true, real and poignant. The actors are all great--all deserve awards. Even Olivia Newton John pulls off the southern honky-tonk. Leslie Jordan is his usual great self, Delta Burke acts great, and looks great too. Ann Walker & Beth Grant are also fantastic and deliver some unforgetable lines. You have to see this Great humor, great story, so extremely exaggerated, that it is life-like, true, real and poignant. The actors are all great--all deserve awards. Even Olivia Newton John pulls off the southern honky-tonk. Leslie Jordan is his usual great self, Delta Burke acts great, and looks great too. Ann Walker & Beth Grant are also fantastic and deliver some unforgetable lines. You have to see this movie, then again & again. Expand
  11. ToddC.
    Sep 7, 2002
    I haven't laughed at a movie this much in YEARS. I have seen it 3 times and am going back tomorrow. I keep taking different friends to see it and EVERYBODY loves it!!
  12. EricH.
    Oct 22, 2003
    This film is my favorite comedy of all time. 100% of the humor is in the characters, their expressions, actions, lives, and backgrounds. When I read all of the negativity from professional critics, I can't disagree, but it is completely irrelevent. It would be like trashing a sculpture because it lacks the colors that an oil painting is supposed to have. Buy it! Y'all will like it.
  13. DaveB.
    May 23, 2003
    As black comedy, this rates right up there with "A New Leaf" and "Fargo", taking the viewer into another lifestyle and laughing all the way. The cast was perfect in every role, especially "Brother Boy", played by Leslie Jordon. I'm still repeating some of his lines and laughing - "Shoot her, Wadell. Shoot her right in the head." Not a funny line unless seen in context along with As black comedy, this rates right up there with "A New Leaf" and "Fargo", taking the viewer into another lifestyle and laughing all the way. The cast was perfect in every role, especially "Brother Boy", played by Leslie Jordon. I'm still repeating some of his lines and laughing - "Shoot her, Wadell. Shoot her right in the head." Not a funny line unless seen in context along with Jordon's perfect delivery. Olivia Newton John can still belt a song with the best of them and her role, though minor, is well played. See this movie. You will howl and take more away from it than an entire series of BBC faldolrall. Expand
  14. BarryF.
    Jun 3, 2003
    Absolutely loved it! Really brought me out of a depression I had fallen into. Can't wait to get my own copy.
  15. StephenF.
    Sep 14, 2001
    This is truly one of the funniest movies I've ever seen.
  16. JayR.
    Nov 4, 2002
    This movie is absolutely phenomenal. Happy, sad and campy. Destined for cult classic. Cant wait till it comes out on video/DVD.
  17. RichF.
    Nov 4, 2002
    This movie is a laugh riot. Although the plot line with the gay son at his shrinks office seem disconnected from the insanity going on through out the rest of the movie.
  18. Elyse
    Oct 21, 2002
    I loved this movie! I'm so glad I saw it before reading any of the reviews. I really believe those people must have seen a different movie with the same name.
  19. EricB.
    Oct 20, 2002
    I LOVED this movie. I have seen it three times but know many people who have seen it six and seven. It is funny, sad, warm and real. You must see it.
  20. JohnM.
    Oct 23, 2002
    A fun movie.
  21. JoaoD.
    Oct 30, 2002
    Fabulous.
  22. GregB.
    Apr 26, 2002
    Excellent movie. Laughed all the way through. That is why it has played over 26 weeks in Palm Springs, CA.
  23. PeteP.
    Apr 27, 2002
    Actually 10+++++ Finally a funny movie.. It seems like it has "hit some nerves" with some people. I have lived in the "south" and Texas... Thanks to all the actors and crew.
  24. JohnE.
    Aug 26, 2002
    This has to be one of the funniest movies of this year, lastyear, next year EVER. It balances humour and pathos to perfection and is a wonderful insight into the lives of these people. I NEVER tell people they have to see a movie, I always say...well I liked it...you might...but with SORDID LIVES.. YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE.
  25. RJL
    Aug 30, 2002
    Exceptionally funny and entertaining.
  26. MollieS.
    Jan 24, 2004
    I'm only 15 (14 when i first saw it) and i fell in love with it! i get tired of all those other movies that are all the same. i would give anything to see the play directed by leslie jordan. or even play in it.
  27. LexingtonD
    Jul 6, 2007
    No exaggerations. No pimping. "Sordid Lives" is likely the funniest movie in existence. Too hard to swallow that information? Then it's the best black comedy ever, bar none. Much like the other raters here, I have no idea what film the critics saw, because what I saw was a clever portrayal of difficult characters, who in the hands of a less capable team would come off as No exaggerations. No pimping. "Sordid Lives" is likely the funniest movie in existence. Too hard to swallow that information? Then it's the best black comedy ever, bar none. Much like the other raters here, I have no idea what film the critics saw, because what I saw was a clever portrayal of difficult characters, who in the hands of a less capable team would come off as clichés or camp. I think the hidden strength of the film is in its believability, which comes ironically after a hyperbolic death. Every performance is perfect, even a jilted actress who would otherwise be wasted (or end up on the cutting room floor) is taken to the brink of psychotic without quite jumping off - an ideal portrait of unrequited love. By the way, I'm neither southern nor gay, nor have been any of the people who i have exposed to this movie, and it's 10s all around. I was lucky enough to find this in a dollar bin of used VHS, had a dollar, and had read this on a list of the 10 best black comedies of all time. What the review didn't say is that it is THE best. I plan on buying the DVD soon, because we're going to wear out the tape! Expand
  28. DonaldC.
    Nov 25, 2001
    Regardless of the reviews listed by the critics, I thought this was one of the funniest movies I have seen in a long time!!
  29. JimmH.
    Dec 26, 2001
    Saw it three times and will see it again! EVERY character is worthy of themselves. Go with a group of GAY friends...if you don't have any MEET some first!
  30. D.Nash
    Sep 22, 2001
    I don't know what all those critics are thinking. I laughed like crazy at this movie from start to finish, and all the way home. It's absolutely hysterical!
  31. Iris
    Nov 2, 2002
    You don't have to be born in Texas to appreciate the true to life characters that reflect life in a small "white" Texas town where most of the residents have been inter-marrying for generations. This movie is not about denial but rather the fragility of self esteem.
  32. BeckyM.
    Oct 22, 2002
    Loved it.
  33. JamesH.
    Dec 4, 2002
    I haven't been to a movie with this much audience laughter in years! Don't believe the critics, this is one funny movie!
    May 27, 2002
    Once--even twice or more--is not enough to permit one to begin to enjoy all the gems of writing and delivery in this "sure to become a classic" film.
  35. TomW.
    Sep 29, 2002
    Why are you hiding this movie? This is the next "Rocky Horror" cult classic....
  36. KeithH.
    Dec 14, 2003
    This is the funniest movie I ahve ever seen. I will admit that at the begining it was a little slow for my taste but as the story unfolds and the characters arre revealed, you get involved in thier lives, I guess you really have to be southern or gay to understand this movie, many of the critics do not. I will admit to being both and attest to the fact that this really happens in the goodThis is the funniest movie I ahve ever seen. I will admit that at the begining it was a little slow for my taste but as the story unfolds and the characters arre revealed, you get involved in thier lives, I guess you really have to be southern or gay to understand this movie, many of the critics do not. I will admit to being both and attest to the fact that this really happens in the good ole south. Expand
  37. BenB.
    Jun 13, 2003
    This film captures so many of the characters that one grows-up with in the South. It reawakens an appreciation for those crazy people we call family and those that we had became too familiar with to recognize how entertaining the madness really was. If you grew up in the South you know someone that is everyone of these characters.
  38. TroyS.
    Nov 11, 2002
    Loved it. Totally hilarious. My favorite movie of the year so far and it's November. The gay son monologues should've been cut and put into a Lifetime movie because his problems were too serious for this movie. The rest way makes up for it. Must buy DVD because it's not really well known but should be.
  39. JoW.
    Nov 18, 2002
    I loved the play as well as the film....The earthiness and true feelings of Southern capablilies of understanding life as it actually is presents an accurate picture - plus the story not only makes you laugh , but also tugs at your heart and makes its beautiful point at the same time.
  40. JoeL.
    Sep 4, 2002
    Very Campy Fun with lots of laughs... Loads of Characters to enjoy... Over half the crowd was there to see it a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time.... I plan to see it again and bring friends with me... it will become a Cult-Classic !!! Just plain funny!!!
  41. MariA.
    May 15, 2001
    With Beth Grant and Delta Burke I knew Del Shores couldn't go wrong! The movie is a riot - I can't remember when I laughed so hard. And who would've guessed Olivia Newton-John as a gum chewing, lesbian, ex-con, with tattoos??:)
  42. KarlMarx
    Nov 27, 2002
    Very seldom I stay put after a movie and keep on laughing for a minute. This movie is deep and funny. You love at others and yourself. Without the pretty boy for the sterotype and obligatory "eye candy", this movie would be perfect.
  43. AndyA.
    Apr 2, 2002
    Awesome movie, great laughs. I've seen it 5 times and everyone I have taken has laughed hysterically through the movie. A definite must see...
  44. JimA.
    Jun 13, 2002
    I am not getting these reviewers? the film is FUNNY and wise, well acted, well directed, what the hell else do they expect. I've called a lot of friends to see this film,but none of them has heard of it. I'm talking about big towns. SF, NY, and boston. What goes?
  45. Luis
    Jul 19, 2002
    Despite the weak "gay son" plot line, I laughed from start to finish...just like everyone else in the audience that night. I can't wait for the DVD version so I can hear EVERY funny line. As they say, this family puts the FUN back in Dyfunctional!
  46. JohnP.
    Sep 22, 2002
    Great Film- Unexpected. Too bad it's been out for over one year and very few Cities or people have seen it. Somethings wrong with that sort of promotion. Go SEE IT!

1. A train wreck you can't help but watch.
  2. Reviewed by: Ken Eisner
    When Sordid Lives does what it does best -- showing Southern gals in the full flight of rabid self-denial -- it's as screamingly funny as this subgenre can get.
  3. The laughs come in all the wrong places when they come at all.